User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "At one point, I was on regular seroquel as needed and seroquel XR daily. During this time, I gained a lot of weight that I just could not take off. I was prescribed the seroquel as needed, 25 mgs up to 3 times a day. Later on, I was going through something else and seroquel had just gone generic. My psychiatrist put me back on the 25 mg pill as needed. I rarely used it and this time I didn't gain any weight from it, which I was relieved about. I know they say that the lower doses are supposed to make you really tired, but that didn't seem to have any effect on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "SeroquelXR has changed my life for the better. I am currently on 400mg once daily. (I also take klonopin before I go to work). For the last 6 months, I have not had to call out sick from work, which was a monthly occurrence before Seroquel. I have not had to take a leave of absence in the last year. I used to have to take 2 six week leaves a year. I feel much more positive about my job and my life in general. It has been a game changer for me. The only down side is the weight gain. It seems to slow your metabolism down and increase your appetite after taking it, making it difficult to loose weight. I am currently not overweight, so the weight gain is a small price to pay. I do have to exercise regularly and watch more carefully what I eat"

B303 May 13, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Ambfly made me gain 100lbs in 8mos. I got off of it and started to loose 5lbs a night. My bad episodes got worse. I wish. I had the right information about this drug. If had known about the drug beforehand I would never have taken it"

Suzzie Lu May 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I don't understand all the negative reviews. For me this pill has worked well. It's calmed me right down and has been blissful at moments. It's expensive unfortunately. As for weight gain, I've noticed that it's pretty neutral... Granted I'm weaning off of Zoloft as well so who knows but I find with medications with 'weight gain' as a side effect just trying your hardest to eat a well balanced diet will prevent it. It's too easy to give up and say oh well I'm gonna get fat - - it's very much not the case. Don't give up, if you're bipolar like me there's a chance you can do a lot with your brain so give it a shot and take your life back. I think much more clearly and am more productive. The overwhelming tiredness subsided after one week."

Patient 2545865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "So vivid in detail, from some, but, give this medication time. This drug had me feeling some wacked out, like on a boat sensation. Just light headed and motion sickness. I was told "six weeks" so instead of stopping it, which I dearly wanted to - I didn't. And to this day approx four years I thank myself, I didn't.. yes its heavy handed. But now I have nearly no racing thoughts, which drove me to suicidal tendancies, my mind never stopped it was like a TV on in the back ground. Next, sleep, sleep, peaceful sleep, I did crave sugar BUT NO WEIGHT GAIN. This drug is just broadly so good. This drug and a couple others balanced me. The racing thoughts Seroquel number one, but Ritalin was also something I am grateful for."

Willow Breeze April 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Only lasted 2 weeks at the lowest dose, stopped because the side effects were so intolerable. Took in the evening, but still had trouble staying awake during the day, and felt like a total zombie when I did. May have given this a couple more weeks to see if it would have worn off had I not gained 15 lbs. as well (with no appetite change - I wasn't awake long enough to eat more!). I was already 35lbs overweight from meds as it was, & when I med chunks me up, it doesn't stop. Only reason it gets 2 stars is that it kicked my chronic insomnia's butt."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "For years I struggled with finding the right medication to help treat my bipolar disorder. Olanzapine basically turned me into Sleeping Beauty. I take 200mg of Seroquel, three times a day. Keeps me nice and level"

Niloufar53 (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have Bipolar, most the time being on Seroquel has helped settle my racing thoughts, helps me sleep at night, and helps me regulate my moods. At times I still get the highs and lows but not as severe without Seroquel. The side effects that I get is dry mouth, dry skin, increased appetite and High Cholestrol. Most of the time this medication helps me out."

AlouiseH April 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am bipolar 1, and take 400mg per day of quetiapine XR. I take this in combination with 200mg of lamotrigine. This combination is highly effective. The XR version of quetiapine is far superior to the immediate release version. Side effects are lessened with XR. There is some weight gain I am experiencing however I am controling, and even losing the weight, with a strict diet and daily, strenuous exercise with weights. If you do not exercise and eat right on this medication there is a strong chance there will be very noticeable weight gain. That said, quetiapine XR is highly effective at stopping acute mania (in larger doses), and maintaining a baseline mood at my current dosage. I recommend trying this medication for controlling mania"

FrankieCasual (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take quetiapine and sertraline, I was taking 200mg Sertraline and 200mg Quetiapine but the weight gain was insane. So cut down to 50mg Q at Christmas and 100mg S. I've recently been very ill with noro virus and had the worst return of symptoms. Suicidal, anxious, racing thoughts and a new one, OCD. So I increased the Quetiapine again to 100mg (made up of 25mg tablets) and I've had what I can only describe as increase effects. Does that even exist? Cold feelings from flight or flight anxiety and agitated feelings."

Gemmimah April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"UK- My Psychiatrist diagnosed Bipolar coming from BPD. So was already on 200mg per day. He wanted me to increase the dose for it to have any impact on mood. 200mg is nothing for a Bipolar illness. Took a 300mg 9pm and woke up at 5 pm the next day!! Seeing as I work I doubt this will be the drug for me especially as I am going up to 600mg."

Anonymous April 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I take this medication for bipolar, but it also does wonders for generalized anxiety disorder. I have suffered for DECADES with anxiety and panic attacks and SSRIs have stopped working for me. When I started taking seroquel it was like I finally saw color in the black and white world I was living in. My moods are completely under control and my anxiety is controlled for the most part. This medication definitely has side effects. Its a tranquilizer. It makes you very tired. It also made me gain a significant amount of weight...but I would rather deal with the side effects then deal with the horrible anxiety I was living with everyday. I take it before bed...make sure you're able to get at least 8 hours of sleep so you're not groggy the next day"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have been on this for about 2 months and I've recently been getting extremely tired all day long (even if I take it way earlier the day before). The drowsiness is so extreme that I cant even watch a show. I'm literally struggling to stay awake all day cause I feel like I just wanna sleep my life away. My depression has been through the roof as well! And to top it off, the weight I have gained since I have been on it, has been insane. I constantly wanna eat all the time! I have gained at least 20-30 pounds in the past month or two! I am definitely gonna tell my doctor I want off of it ASAP! I cant take it anymore "

Brittiany April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 5 years ago. I was so stressed about work, even though I liked my job and wasn't stressed about it for years before. Had continuous trouble sleeping more than 4 hours a night sometimes less. I went off work for two months due to stress, anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of seroquel and 20 mg of cipralex for depression. I take both at night an hour before going to bed. I saw a psychiatrist for about two months during the time I was off work. I didn't get off the couch basically all day for about a month. Started to sleep better and feel a bit better after a few weeks. I sleep perfectly now and haven't had any real problems last five years."

MG Mech March 30, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Very drowsy for the first week of taking it, but once your body gets used to it, it is a great mood stabilizer. I've been on it 6 years and it calms the edginess and irritability with bipolar. Also makes you sleep like a rock. My weight only changed when lithium was added to my meds. No significant weight gain for me. If I go a few days without it, I notice I'm on edge constantly."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I'm 24 yrs old, have severe RA and been talking seroquel XR at 300 milligrams a night for nearly a year.... I was diagnosed bipolar 2 years ago but had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist who was caring enough to listen to me (like a psychologist AND work as a psychiatrist, pill pusher) so my diagnosis went treated and untreated on and off for a while. BUT since I've been seeing my doctor regularly and she seems to genuinely care I've trusted her judgment with her diagnosis and what she thought would help me most.... besides the weight gain, honestly I feel much more stable & I can deal with the world around me as I see it and haven't had any serious depressive episodes or hypomania. This medication has worked wonders for me."

Nessa Rea March 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I took this medication on top of my regular antidepressants to help with my mood as well as insomnia. This was the worst medication I could have possibly used. I have a history of anorexia and binge eating disorder and Seroquel caused me to gain 10 pounds in a month which sent me into a total depressive episode."

anxietygirl18 March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was having extreme depression and hypomania and they could not find the correct drug for me and this was the miracle drug for me it was the key. It works very well for me and I would recommend it. I take Seroquel at night because it does make me a little sleepy."

Mymocha1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Been suffering with moderate/major depression with periods of extreme anxiety and daily thoughts of specific suicidal thoughts for 7 months. Suffered really rough initial side effects with Lexapro and endured this medication for 4 months up to 30mg. Felt worse then ever at this dosage and so I sought help from a private practice. He immediately told me to lower my dosage to 20mg of Lexapro (to eventally taper off completely) and put me on 300mg Seroquel, 200mg night and 100mg mornings. The day after, I woke up with new hope and a sense of calmness. I no longer felt suicidal. Thus the conclusion is that I'm probably Bipolar Type 2, meaning antidepressants is not the right for me. Seroquel always makes me sleep every night, all night! :)"

Matrlx (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was recently diagnosed with type 2 BP in July of 2016. I was on Lamictal at first and it was a nightmare, It kept me from being sad but I would still get very angry. Seroquel was next and I was too scared to take it at first, but once I started having a LOT of heated arguments and stress I finally decided to take it. So far so good, I only take 25mg because is chills me out and eases my anxiety. I don't get sad and I don't get overly mad or excited. First few days I am tired on the meds but after a few days I am able to manage my life. I wish I would have went to a Dr years ago to get treated because since I was 13 my moods have been up and down. Now I'm as chill as a cucumber."

D.M. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My Dr told me basically nothing else has worked so what do u want him to do. The seroquel seemed to at first but I gained weight quickly and people are always asking if I'm expecting because I look maybe 5 months pregnant. I have paranoia problems as well with anxiety. I have suicidal thoughts throughout the day but I don't share that with my Dr because I don't want to get put in a hospital so I keep that to myself. I'm extremely depressed and it doesn't help me sleep. I can't sleep because of the thoughts going crazy in my head. So I have to take ambien. I'm sick of all these medications. I also take wellbutrin for depression and Xanax for anxiety. the Xanax helps but when I try to pull back from using it my body jerks. I know I need help"

whoever whatever February 10, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This drug saved my life. I had my first manic episode recently and the doctor put me on 200mg and 50mg Xr at bedtime. I take Vraylar too. I sleep well and my bipolar tendencies (rage and mania) are pretty much cured. It took two months before I was not fatigued the next day. I have no weight issues from this drug. Thank God for this drug and the doctor who prescribed it."

MommaGia February 9, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar, PTSD and depression. I was put on lithium and seroquel about 5 months ago. Lithium makes it so I don't feel .....anything. And seriously I take around 6pm and the next morning I feel like a zombie. Half the time I can't even get out of bed to go to work. All I want to do All day is sleep. I've told my doctor but he keeps telling me to give it some more time....... I have kids I have to take care of, but I feel so tired and lazy on seroquel. Only upside is it does help me sleep throughout then night instead of being awake depressing about my life. Lithium, not sure what it does to me but tries to block my emotional feelings which is good and bad at the same time. I still feel sadness though. Everyday."

Laurenjp055 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "No dude it doesn't work. I've been on it for few months. No it doesn't work for anxiety. It helps the shaking part. That's it. Doesn't work for depression either. When I was on it I hurt myself and was thinking about suicide. It didn't stop my racing thought. My OCD is the same. Man just no. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months just with 250mg. It's the worst medication of its category. I was on Zyprexa before but besides the horrible weight gain at least I was doing much better. I hate this medication. Do not take it people. It makes you fat doesn't help at all. No man just NOOO. I'm going back to Paxil 30mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg which work so much better. Bye SEROQUEL."

Joj (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017