User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel and I have a love hate relationship. When I first started taking it, I was in a hospital, my psychiatrist prescribed it. I had super vivid dreams.. but he insisted I stay on it and they’d go away. He was right, they did. Seroquel works great to calm your mind when you start receiving the correct dosage. However I’m sleepy all the time! It’s definitely a drug that I don’t want to be on very long. I’ve gained about 20lbs since being put on it, 7 months ago. "

UpperSM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Of all the meds I’ve taken for my bipolar Seroquel is the best with the least side effects. I’ve been on Abilify, Depacote, and another one can’t remember the name. Horrible side effects...severe blurred vision, rash, panic attacks, restless legs, insomnia, gastritis, blood in stools and more. Seroquel is working for me and for that I’m very grateful."

Tootie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Literally garbage. Did not help moods. Slept 12 hours at night and still needed 2-6+ hours of naps in day. No control over when to sleep. Lots of weight gain."

Rabbit (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "The Cons: higher appetite, weight gain, diabetes, cognitive dulling. The Pros: I take 800/day all at night and once a quarter I accidentally double dose and feel perfect after that. I just slept for 24 hrs during a stay-cation and wow do I feel good and sharp. So my employer is aware of my condition and we structure my workload, such that I do serious creative computer programming in the afternoon after the "dulling" wears off. My advice is to take it all at 8pm and get in bed at 8:30 - 9:00. Then you will be able to do normal work at 9am and complex work after noon. Diet and exercise are key, because you have to manage the diabetes that comes with it. If I feel depressed or manic, I might add 400mg and that usually fixes it, but that is probably risky. Also note that the generic is really cheap now, under $25/month at max legal dose. Or $54 for 3 months worth."

john b (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2018

"So far this drug has helped me a great deal, I've spent the last 15 years not being able to function in society, suffering from anxiety, PTSD and bipolar. Have always had issues with sleep, never been able to hold a job for longer than a few months. Ever since I started taking this the last few months it has helped a lot, I know there are a lot of negative side effects that people have experienced but at this point I have yet to experience them. I've heard this drug either works for people or it doesn't, but it's funny reading about the speculation over fake reviews just because it does happen to work for some people."

annon June 5, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Within 2 months, at a dose of 300mg, it completely changed my life. I have been on many meds and combinations for 20 years, but this (along with much soul- searching, personal responsibility and facing truth, therapy, and DBT skills) has stabilized my Bipolar I and almost cured by borderline personality disorder. I had resigned myself to a difficult and tragic life before this happened. I was inspired to move to a single med, because I was a long time user of Lithium, SSRI, Lamictal combo and wanted to try for a baby. This ended up giving me new life- my own."

KTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "It slowed my mind down so I could sleep. My Dr - psychologist and psychiatrist worked together with me to find the right does. 150 mg is perfect. I had been sleep deprived for years, and was told to sleep no less than 12 hours for 2 straight months. I would take 50 mg for a few days then 100mg a few days later I was up to my full dosage. After adding an extra pill, the first mornings were a little rough, holding on to the walls and walking slowly for the first 5 or so minutes of waking. This has made my life so much better in combination neither Clozanepam. I don’t have anxiety or panic attacks. My psychologist isn’t urging me and making arrangements for me to check into a hospital to get rest. These 2 drugs have changed my life and I’ve monitored my weight,"

Angela May 27, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I give Seroquel 7 out of 10. It works like a charm for my crazy head, but that doesn't seem to change the fact that it has sedative side effects"

Elsbeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I take 800mgs of Seroquel and 1 mg Zolipderm. I have bipolar 1 and PTSD With this combination of pills I sleep all night with no side effects. I take Lorazepam 1mg twice a day as needed and take Adderral 20mgs 3 times a day for my ADHD. I was having fainting spells. I was so sick I had to be admitted to the hospital. Stayed two days back to normal."

Ann May 13, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I am a teenager and I was recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder. At first everyone thought it was just depression so I was put on prozac. Prozac made me worse. It increased my anger, but that was just because I didn't have depression. I switched psychiatrists and found out I was bipolar. I was put on a low dose of Seroquel (50mg) and within 3 weeks I was on 200mg. Seroquel works extremely well to mellow out my moods and keep me from being depressed or manic. Only side effect I'm experiencing is weight gain but that is not a bad thing as I have been underweight for a long time."

Gab (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel is a total hell. It gives you the impression that your brain is burnt by it in a very conscious way. All your person seems possessed by it... It's like a chemical weapon... It's a so unpleased sensation that I now react so badly when a professional is talking to me about it. I've so much suffered by this. How a so small pill can do so much harm? The sensation can't even be described. It literally just erased my mind when I take it at times. Don't try this!"

Anonyme (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2018

"I have been taking this medication since January 2015. My quality of life has greatly improved in the way that I have less manic episodes I am more relaxed and can cope with life a lot better. I also have BPD and it really helps with that too. I don't have as many paranoid thoughts (they are still there but I can be rational about it) I am considering coming off the medication though as I have gained 70 LBS in the 3 years I have been taking it. I have tried losing weight, lowering my calorie intake to starving myself all day. But 30 minutes after I take my meds at night I turn into a zombie and eat until it hurts or I throw up. I have no control over it and I have tried everything, planning meals to eat, going straight to bed etc. and I wake up the next day my stomach is killing me and I see all the food I have eaten."

Freak0bsession (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I used this medication at the peak of my mania induced paranoid psychotic episode and it helped calm it immediately. However, I am extremely sensitive to medication, so while taking only 25mg of this I became so tired that I couldn't possibly stay awake. Even though I took it at night, it became dangerous because I could no longer walk or talk properly, I even considered peeing in the bed because I couldn't even walk to the bathroom..lol. Although it completely knocked me out for 8+ hours and I had a fantastic sleep, when I woke up I was still tired.. which eventually made me depressed. I ended up stopping this medication because I couldn't get the dose up to where it needed to be to control my bipolar symptoms (any higher than 25mg and I'd start drooling). I guess I'm just very sensitive."

Paranoid (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Amazing. This stops my body from producing too much energy. and makes me sleepy. Alot of people don't know schizophrenia is just extreme mania. when your brain produces too much dopamine & you can't sleep. This medication saved my life :) I recommend taking it with prozac & lamictal."

Haimé (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "3 years ago I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt & diagnosed with rapid-cycling bipolar. I was put on a low dose of seroquel until I could get in to see the psychiatrist a month later. It definitely levelled out my mood and made me feel much more stable within days. Even after switching meds 3 times since, I still use seroquel as a supplementary medication and I have no desire to get off of it"

Cboxjett (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2018

"I take 200mg at night. It works great for sleep and anxiety, it's alright for mania and hypomania as well, but then you realized you gained 25 pounds in 5 months and feel even worse about yourself then when you first started. For all that are writing 10/10 reviews... just wait a few months... You'll look and feel like a beached whale once you become fat and out of breath just by walking up a flight of stairs. On the bright side, if you're underweight, this medication will bulk you right up!"

Ilikespacex (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2018

"I have just been prescribed this medication again at 200mg after being taken off it October 2017. It has helped with sleeping and audio hallucinations but the worry is the weight gain and also the effect on diabetes. I have been on this medication for long long time and my psychiatrist did the right thing tapering me off it but it didn't work and I got hospitalised. This lower dosage may need to be increased slightly but I would prefer not to exceed 300mg"

Allen1972 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was put on this med years ago and taken off. I asked him why I stopped taking it because of weight gain, I don't feel that was the only reason. I have had problems with anxiety and depression for a long time, but it got extremely worse. The anxiety was so bad that I couldn't eat, gave me worse flashbacks from my PTSD which was caused by trauma throughout my life (domestic abuse and rape). I got headaches, eye pain, palpitations, my hypothyroidism was all off, stomachs pain, worse depression to the point I lost weight which I am already thin. I could go on, but the Dr didn't take into consideration that I suffer from epilepsy, got vertigo, seizures increased. I ended up yesterday in a crisis center because I couldn't stop crying, and had racing thoughts which I forgot to mention. And the flashbacks of my life was one after another. Just was not a good choice of medication for me, especially with physical issues."

Jean (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was prescribed Seroquel for treatment resistant depression. I only took it for about 2 weeks. For every night I wasn't able to sleep my doc upped my dose. Which was most nights. In my opinion, it was upped too quickly. It literally made me feel like I was going crazy. I'm aware that is a very subjective feeling, but I can't put it in words how bad it made me feel. I would still recommend it only if titrated very slowly."

VickyEE (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "works well. It knocked me out, sleep great through the night.. was having a hard time sleeping with other insomniac medications, & by far this is the best so far. I only started taking it so I'm not sure, what the side effects will be.( I'm taking it for bi polar)"

kylo G February 21, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This has helped me immensely in combo with lexapro to treat anxiety and depression"

jensrda February 15, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Tried Seraquel ten years ago. Ended up driving when my body when into SEVERE convulsions. Was barely able to turn around and drive back home. Then, recently, ten years later I was prescribed SEROQUEL XR. Again. I didn’t make the connection to the first time. Took the 100mg dosage two nights ago. Uncontrollable convulsions and seizures. I have restless leg syndrome and my legs were flying all around. No way to lie down and sleep, so I walked around the house for four hours, occasionally I sitting at my desk for a bit. No sleep. Then, the next day I suffered the entire day suffering from cognitive dissonance. I kept going in and out of “the moment.” And I would spend about thirty seconds in this state, then return for a minute or two. This cycle went on all day long. Third day now and back to “normal.” Not taking anything now."

Felix99 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

"I'm not from a company or anything, just want to share my honest opinion. I went into a severe bipolar depression and nothing was helping. Tried quetiapine, it knocked me out, took one before bed and unlike other pills this doesn't make me feel groggy in the morning, I wake up with a clear head, but yeah, it does make you want to eat a lot, but just go to sleep don't act on the cravings, a bit of dry mouth for me and that's it, mood is improving by a lot. So yeah, not that bad compared to other drugs I've been on. Toodles."

alister12345 February 12, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I'm surprised to see so many positive reviews for seroquel for depression and panic/anxiety. That is why I was prescribed it 2x a day and I didn't take it very long. Everyone is different, I'm glad it works for others, for me I was extremely tired 24/7, had to force myself to get up and stay up and do anything, I felt like I was out of it like it wasn't even to help me mentally and emotionally but like I took a street drug. I was so tired and forcing myself to stay up. I couldn't do anything luckily I didn't have a job at the time. This drug did not help me. Everyones different though, I'm sure it has helped others. To me its like seroquel=sleep."

mae77 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "the reason I'm rating this drug 10/10 is that it does not stab you in the back , and it does not ask for increased doses , it works all the time , and kicks in fast , and makes you feel euphoric combined with sleepiness. If stayed awake more than 30 minutes after taking it , you will feel hungry , so if you are worried about gaining weight just take it and sleep. Find your correct dose that works well , and remember good sleep equals good mood. If you feel sleepy the next day , thats if ' drink some coffee + 1 cup of water. And remember to do 20 minutes of exercise every day just not before going to sleep and you will feel batter 100%"

Light_bringer January 31, 2018