User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Only lasted 2 weeks at the lowest dose, stopped because the side effects were so intolerable. Took in the evening, but still had trouble staying awake during the day, and felt like a total zombie when I did. May have given this a couple more weeks to see if it would have worn off had I not gained 15 lbs. as well (with no appetite change - I wasn't awake long enough to eat more!). I was already 35lbs overweight from meds as it was, & when I med chunks me up, it doesn't stop. Only reason it gets 2 stars is that it kicked my chronic insomnia's butt."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am bipolar 1, and take 400mg per day of quetiapine XR. I take this in combination with 200mg of lamotrigine. This combination is highly effective. The XR version of quetiapine is far superior to the immediate release version. Side effects are lessened with XR. There is some weight gain I am experiencing however I am controling, and even losing the weight, with a strict diet and daily, strenuous exercise with weights. If you do not exercise and eat right on this medication there is a strong chance there will be very noticeable weight gain. That said, quetiapine XR is highly effective at stopping acute mania (in larger doses), and maintaining a baseline mood at my current dosage. I recommend trying this medication for controlling mania"

FrankieCasual (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take quetiapine and sertraline, I was taking 200mg Sertraline and 200mg Quetiapine but the weight gain was insane. So cut down to 50mg Q at Christmas and 100mg S. I've recently been very ill with noro virus and had the worst return of symptoms. Suicidal, anxious, racing thoughts and a new one, OCD. So I increased the Quetiapine again to 100mg (made up of 25mg tablets) and I've had what I can only describe as increase effects. Does that even exist? Cold feelings from flight or flight anxiety and agitated feelings."

Gemmimah April 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"UK- My Psychiatrist diagnosed Bipolar coming from BPD. So was already on 200mg per day. He wanted me to increase the dose for it to have any impact on mood. 200mg is nothing for a Bipolar illness. Took a 300mg 9pm and woke up at 5 pm the next day!! Seeing as I work I doubt this will be the drug for me especially as I am going up to 600mg."

Anonymous April 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I take this medication for bipolar, but it also does wonders for generalized anxiety disorder. I have suffered for DECADES with anxiety and panic attacks and SSRIs have stopped working for me. When I started taking seroquel it was like I finally saw color in the black and white world I was living in. My moods are completely under control and my anxiety is controlled for the most part. This medication definitely has side effects. Its a tranquilizer. It makes you very tired. It also made me gain a significant amount of weight...but I would rather deal with the side effects then deal with the horrible anxiety I was living with everyday. I take it before bed...make sure you're able to get at least 8 hours of sleep so you're not groggy the next day"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have been on this for about 2 months and I've recently been getting extremely tired all day long (even if I take it way earlier the day before). The drowsiness is so extreme that I cant even watch a show. I'm literally struggling to stay awake all day cause I feel like I just wanna sleep my life away. My depression has been through the roof as well! And to top it off, the weight I have gained since I have been on it, has been insane. I constantly wanna eat all the time! I have gained at least 20-30 pounds in the past month or two! I am definitely gonna tell my doctor I want off of it ASAP! I cant take it anymore "

Brittiany April 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 5 years ago. I was so stressed about work, even though I liked my job and wasn't stressed about it for years before. Had continuous trouble sleeping more than 4 hours a night sometimes less. I went off work for two months due to stress, anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of seroquel and 20 mg of cipralex for depression. I take both at night an hour before going to bed. I saw a psychiatrist for about two months during the time I was off work. I didn't get off the couch basically all day for about a month. Started to sleep better and feel a bit better after a few weeks. I sleep perfectly now and haven't had any real problems last five years."

MG Mech March 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Very drowsy for the first week of taking it, but once your body gets used to it, it is a great mood stabilizer. I've been on it 6 years and it calms the edginess and irritability with bipolar. Also makes you sleep like a rock. My weight only changed when lithium was added to my meds. No significant weight gain for me. If I go a few days without it, I notice I'm on edge constantly."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I'm 24 yrs old, have severe RA and been talking seroquel XR at 300 milligrams a night for nearly a year.... I was diagnosed bipolar 2 years ago but had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist who was caring enough to listen to me (like a psychologist AND work as a psychiatrist, pill pusher) so my diagnosis went treated and untreated on and off for a while. BUT since I've been seeing my doctor regularly and she seems to genuinely care I've trusted her judgment with her diagnosis and what she thought would help me most.... besides the weight gain, honestly I feel much more stable & I can deal with the world around me as I see it and haven't had any serious depressive episodes or hypomania. This medication has worked wonders for me."

Nessa Rea March 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I took this medication on top of my regular antidepressants to help with my mood as well as insomnia. This was the worst medication I could have possibly used. I have a history of anorexia and binge eating disorder and Seroquel caused me to gain 10 pounds in a month which sent me into a total depressive episode."

anxietygirl18 March 14, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was having extreme depression and hypomania and they could not find the correct drug for me and this was the miracle drug for me it was the key. It works very well for me and I would recommend it. I take Seroquel at night because it does make me a little sleepy."

Mymocha1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Been suffering with moderate/major depression with periods of extreme anxiety and daily thoughts of specific suicidal thoughts for 7 months. Suffered really rough initial side effects with Lexapro and endured this medication for 4 months up to 30mg. Felt worse then ever at this dosage and so I sought help from a private practice. He immediately told me to lower my dosage to 20mg of Lexapro (to eventally taper off completely) and put me on 300mg Seroquel, 200mg night and 100mg mornings. The day after, I woke up with new hope and a sense of calmness. I no longer felt suicidal. Thus the conclusion is that I'm probably Bipolar Type 2, meaning antidepressants is not the right for me. Seroquel always makes me sleep every night, all night! :)"

Matrlx (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was recently diagnosed with type 2 BP in July of 2016. I was on Lamictal at first and it was a nightmare, It kept me from being sad but I would still get very angry. Seroquel was next and I was too scared to take it at first, but once I started having a LOT of heated arguments and stress I finally decided to take it. So far so good, I only take 25mg because is chills me out and eases my anxiety. I don't get sad and I don't get overly mad or excited. First few days I am tired on the meds but after a few days I am able to manage my life. I wish I would have went to a Dr years ago to get treated because since I was 13 my moods have been up and down. Now I'm as chill as a cucumber."

D.M. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My Dr told me basically nothing else has worked so what do u want him to do. The seroquel seemed to at first but I gained weight quickly and people are always asking if I'm expecting because I look maybe 5 months pregnant. I have paranoia problems as well with anxiety. I have suicidal thoughts throughout the day but I don't share that with my Dr because I don't want to get put in a hospital so I keep that to myself. I'm extremely depressed and it doesn't help me sleep. I can't sleep because of the thoughts going crazy in my head. So I have to take ambien. I'm sick of all these medications. I also take wellbutrin for depression and Xanax for anxiety. the Xanax helps but when I try to pull back from using it my body jerks. I know I need help"

whoever whatever February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This drug saved my life. I had my first manic episode recently and the doctor put me on 200mg and 50mg Xr at bedtime. I take Vraylar too. I sleep well and my bipolar tendencies (rage and mania) are pretty much cured. It took two months before I was not fatigued the next day. I have no weight issues from this drug. Thank God for this drug and the doctor who prescribed it."

MommaGia February 9, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar, PTSD and depression. I was put on lithium and seroquel about 5 months ago. Lithium makes it so I don't feel .....anything. And seriously I take around 6pm and the next morning I feel like a zombie. Half the time I can't even get out of bed to go to work. All I want to do All day is sleep. I've told my doctor but he keeps telling me to give it some more time....... I have kids I have to take care of, but I feel so tired and lazy on seroquel. Only upside is it does help me sleep throughout then night instead of being awake depressing about my life. Lithium, not sure what it does to me but tries to block my emotional feelings which is good and bad at the same time. I still feel sadness though. Everyday."

Laurenjp055 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "No dude it doesn't work. I've been on it for few months. No it doesn't work for anxiety. It helps the shaking part. That's it. Doesn't work for depression either. When I was on it I hurt myself and was thinking about suicide. It didn't stop my racing thought. My OCD is the same. Man just no. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months just with 250mg. It's the worst medication of its category. I was on Zyprexa before but besides the horrible weight gain at least I was doing much better. I hate this medication. Do not take it people. It makes you fat doesn't help at all. No man just NOOO. I'm going back to Paxil 30mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg which work so much better. Bye SEROQUEL."

Joj (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on Seroquel more years then I know.I have always been on the magical 200mg. I'm only on 50mg now, because of weight gain. I really did not want to be on this, and tried to go off..The headaches, and misery are just awful trying to come off this drug. So, back on Seroquel... along with Lamictal, Tegretol and Topomax. I have Bipolar 1, another name I've been told is Classic Bipolar. Seroquel helps with sleep for sure. Don't like the heaviness on the chest, if it's too high a dose. Also, getting up to eat like 10 minutes after taking it. AND feeling zombie next day. I've noticed if My meds aren't taken before midnight, forget the next day. Next day is gone..Sleeping all day. And If I don't snack with these meds,my heart feels weird."

Melyssy (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Where do I begin? Seroquel, personally I think it is a great medication for the right person. I've taken seroquel on and off 3 different times, I am currently back on it and will most likely stay on it. I take 800mg before bed time and sleep like a baby. I do have a few side effects from this medicine which include dry mouth, constipation and indigestion. I take seroquel for Borderline personality disorder (BPD), I am also on 300mg lithium and 300mg 3x a day of gabapentin. Seroquel helps control my mania and impulsive behavior, it does not make me a zombie and I have great concentration. What I don't understand is this drug being prescribed to people for sleep issues, sure you sleep like a baby but those are the people with all these terrible side effects and horror stories."

Ckn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I loved it for getting me away from mixed episodes in Bipolar Disorder. But it made me feel dead inside. I'm going off the 300 XR and going onto 100 instant release because 300 was just too much for me. Hoping I can get into a hospital if a mixed episode raises it's ugly head again"

Yaggy January 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My experience with this drug has been generally positive. It does tone down my hypomania, and is amazing at helping me sleep (it used to take me up to 3.5 hours lying in the dark to fall asleep...now it's closer to between 1-2 hours). However, it does give some weird side effects. It gives me intensely vivid dreams. I normally dream very little, but this gives me very strange dreams every night that I can very clearly remember on waking up. These dreams even frequently (3/4 times a week) cause me to wake up in the middle of the night! Would not recommend if you already have frequent nightmares or night terrors, as seroquel may make those much worse. Ineffective for depression."

Audrey K (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on this for about 8 months so far. I take 300mg at bed time. It helps with sleep, but I do feel a bit tired during the day. This has really reduced my mania. I used to argue with people until I was literally foaming at the mouth, but now I lose interest in arguments within 5 or 10 minutes. Twitter and news used to upset me and I'd get ampted up about stories, but that's gone away mostly. Now I can react to things that used to make me furious with a laugh or just a short discussion with someone. Seroquel's not perfect, but the weirdness and intensity I used to experience has gone. It also helps greatly with my IBSd. I haven't had any weight gain, but my diet is low-fat and limited. Seroquel is MUCH better than TCAs btw. Good luck!"

theskysnotabove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Hi all! I'm diagnosed with PTSD and bipolar type 1. After my most recent manic episode I crashed into the worst depression and extreme anxiety I've ever experienced. I was tried on the usual antipsychotics and had dangerous side effects from all of them except Seroquel. For years and years I've had extreme insomnia. I was started on Seroquel (300mg) for sleep about 6 months and it was immediately effective. I love being able to sleep, but I'm sleeping 10 hours. I'd like to try to cut back a little and see if I can get to 8-9 hrs/night. My psychiatrist tells me I'm not just taking it for sleep, but for the bipolar itself. I'm still not back to my usual self due to lack of interest in anything. Hopefully I'll soon be better!"

MissieRae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Caused excessive weight gain (60+lbs) very quickly (despite me eating LESS), caused a weird decrease in cognitive ability, higher blood pressure (I already have hypertension, thanks), elevated blood sugar levels and probably other things I'm forgetting... I've been put on this against my will repeatedly because it's a Medicaid favored drug in my state, but it DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I still have Medicaid but go to a private pay shrink because he listens."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on this medication for about a week now. I am a type 1 diabetic. My sugars are extremely on the high side. It was like overnight it raised my sugars terrible. It has the complete opposite affect, my mind races. I pace , no sleep for me. So I think I need to be done with this. The not taking it verses the side effects. And I don't need this. So diabetics beware."

Diabetic 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016