User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was recently diagnosed with type 2 BP in July of 2016. I was on Lamictal at first and it was a nightmare, It kept me from being sad but I would still get very angry. Seroquel was next and I was too scared to take it at first, but once I started having a LOT of heated arguments and stress I finally decided to take it. So far so good, I only take 25mg because is chills me out and eases my anxiety. I don't get sad and I don't get overly mad or excited. First few days I am tired on the meds but after a few days I am able to manage my life. I wish I would have went to a Dr years ago to get treated because since I was 13 my moods have been up and down. Now I'm as chill as a cucumber."

D.M. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My Dr told me basically nothing else has worked so what do u want him to do. The seroquel seemed to at first but I gained weight quickly and people are always asking if I'm expecting because I look maybe 5 months pregnant. I have paranoia problems as well with anxiety. I have suicidal thoughts throughout the day but I don't share that with my Dr because I don't want to get put in a hospital so I keep that to myself. I'm extremely depressed and it doesn't help me sleep. I can't sleep because of the thoughts going crazy in my head. So I have to take ambien. I'm sick of all these medications. I also take wellbutrin for depression and Xanax for anxiety. the Xanax helps but when I try to pull back from using it my body jerks. I know I need help"

whoever whatever February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This drug saved my life. I had my first manic episode recently and the doctor put me on 200mg and 50mg Xr at bedtime. I take Vraylar too. I sleep well and my bipolar tendencies (rage and mania) are pretty much cured. It took two months before I was not fatigued the next day. I have no weight issues from this drug. Thank God for this drug and the doctor who prescribed it."

MommaGia February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar, PTSD and depression. I was put on lithium and seroquel about 5 months ago. Lithium makes it so I don't feel .....anything. And seriously I take around 6pm and the next morning I feel like a zombie. Half the time I can't even get out of bed to go to work. All I want to do All day is sleep. I've told my doctor but he keeps telling me to give it some more time....... I have kids I have to take care of, but I feel so tired and lazy on seroquel. Only upside is it does help me sleep throughout then night instead of being awake depressing about my life. Lithium, not sure what it does to me but tries to block my emotional feelings which is good and bad at the same time. I still feel sadness though. Everyday."

Laurenjp055 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "No dude it doesn't work. I've been on it for few months. No it doesn't work for anxiety. It helps the shaking part. That's it. Doesn't work for depression either. When I was on it I hurt myself and was thinking about suicide. It didn't stop my racing thought. My OCD is the same. Man just no. I gained 40 pounds in 2 months just with 250mg. It's the worst medication of its category. I was on Zyprexa before but besides the horrible weight gain at least I was doing much better. I hate this medication. Do not take it people. It makes you fat doesn't help at all. No man just NOOO. I'm going back to Paxil 30mg and Zyprexa 7.5 mg which work so much better. Bye SEROQUEL."

Joj (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on Seroquel more years then I know.I have always been on the magical 200mg. I'm only on 50mg now, because of weight gain. I really did not want to be on this, and tried to go off..The headaches, and misery are just awful trying to come off this drug. So, back on Seroquel... along with Lamictal, Tegretol and Topomax. I have Bipolar 1, another name I've been told is Classic Bipolar. Seroquel helps with sleep for sure. Don't like the heaviness on the chest, if it's too high a dose. Also, getting up to eat like 10 minutes after taking it. AND feeling zombie next day. I've noticed if My meds aren't taken before midnight, forget the next day. Next day is gone..Sleeping all day. And If I don't snack with these meds,my heart feels weird."

Melyssy (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Where do I begin? Seroquel, personally I think it is a great medication for the right person. I've taken seroquel on and off 3 different times, I am currently back on it and will most likely stay on it. I take 800mg before bed time and sleep like a baby. I do have a few side effects from this medicine which include dry mouth, constipation and indigestion. I take seroquel for Borderline personality disorder (BPD), I am also on 300mg lithium and 300mg 3x a day of gabapentin. Seroquel helps control my mania and impulsive behavior, it does not make me a zombie and I have great concentration. What I don't understand is this drug being prescribed to people for sleep issues, sure you sleep like a baby but those are the people with all these terrible side effects and horror stories."

Ckn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I loved it for getting me away from mixed episodes in Bipolar Disorder. But it made me feel dead inside. I'm going off the 300 XR and going onto 100 instant release because 300 was just too much for me. Hoping I can get into a hospital if a mixed episode raises it's ugly head again"

Yaggy January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My experience with this drug has been generally positive. It does tone down my hypomania, and is amazing at helping me sleep (it used to take me up to 3.5 hours lying in the dark to fall asleep...now it's closer to between 1-2 hours). However, it does give some weird side effects. It gives me intensely vivid dreams. I normally dream very little, but this gives me very strange dreams every night that I can very clearly remember on waking up. These dreams even frequently (3/4 times a week) cause me to wake up in the middle of the night! Would not recommend if you already have frequent nightmares or night terrors, as seroquel may make those much worse. Ineffective for depression."

Audrey K (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on this for about 8 months so far. I take 300mg at bed time. It helps with sleep, but I do feel a bit tired during the day. This has really reduced my mania. I used to argue with people until I was literally foaming at the mouth, but now I lose interest in arguments within 5 or 10 minutes. Twitter and news used to upset me and I'd get ampted up about stories, but that's gone away mostly. Now I can react to things that used to make me furious with a laugh or just a short discussion with someone. Seroquel's not perfect, but the weirdness and intensity I used to experience has gone. It also helps greatly with my IBSd. I haven't had any weight gain, but my diet is low-fat and limited. Seroquel is MUCH better than TCAs btw. Good luck!"

theskysnotabove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Hi all! I'm diagnosed with PTSD and bipolar type 1. After my most recent manic episode I crashed into the worst depression and extreme anxiety I've ever experienced. I was tried on the usual antipsychotics and had dangerous side effects from all of them except Seroquel. For years and years I've had extreme insomnia. I was started on Seroquel (300mg) for sleep about 6 months and it was immediately effective. I love being able to sleep, but I'm sleeping 10 hours. I'd like to try to cut back a little and see if I can get to 8-9 hrs/night. My psychiatrist tells me I'm not just taking it for sleep, but for the bipolar itself. I'm still not back to my usual self due to lack of interest in anything. Hopefully I'll soon be better!"

MissieRae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Caused excessive weight gain (60+lbs) very quickly (despite me eating LESS), caused a weird decrease in cognitive ability, higher blood pressure (I already have hypertension, thanks), elevated blood sugar levels and probably other things I'm forgetting... I've been put on this against my will repeatedly because it's a Medicaid favored drug in my state, but it DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I still have Medicaid but go to a private pay shrink because he listens."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on this medication for about a week now. I am a type 1 diabetic. My sugars are extremely on the high side. It was like overnight it raised my sugars terrible. It has the complete opposite affect, my mind races. I pace , no sleep for me. So I think I need to be done with this. The not taking it verses the side effects. And I don't need this. So diabetics beware."

Diabetic 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Been on it for about 1 1/2 years for insomnia and mood swings (bipolar 2) Tried a few other drugs but this one works best. I have gained weight but I am a calmer, happier person on it. My sleep schedule has settled over time. Initially I slept too much (10 + hrs) or was tired during day. Settled finally on 2 generic Seroquel XR50's about 3-4 hrs before bed and that works pretty good for me. Don't know why it takes that long to kick in but it works so I don't care about why."

Patty May (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was prescribed this drug at crisis preparation and recovery services in Tempe, Arizona. I was misdiagnosed by her as "bi polar" . While on this medication, alongside with lexapro and klonopin - I gained weight fast and almost suffocated in my sleep. Be careful with this medication, and make sure you see a doctor before considering it - not a louzy nurse practitioner. Although I almost died from the drug, I know that the drug can be used well if the provider knows what they are doing. The NP was not listening to my concerns which should of been red flags,and she was not educated on the subject of medicine enough to prescribe/diagnose. She is now under investigation by the state board and may not be working anymore."

TempeAZ November 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"OK I've been undiagnosed and put on anti anxietys and just left with no review of meds for 18 years. I have managed to change drs or let them ignore me or masked symptoms as I myself was a mental health nurse so unconsciously or maybe again I maybe ignored my behaviour. Anyway what I'm saying is I've tried a lot prescribed a lot and have to admit until 3 years ago when I started a new anxiety med and seeing a Dr who I didn't have to keep explaining often wrongly. So sertraline started making me clearer in thought and helped my recovery to start. I begged the dr to look at the cycles too look at the patterns of highs lows. And finally I was put on quintiapine! I can sleep when I need to at normal times and have to admit it changed my bi polar."

Leesoo November 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Knocked me out like a light after an hour and a half of taking it 100mg for a mouth"

Teddy1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Bipolar 2. Seroquel XL 400mg at night for last 5 years. Quetiapine has been great for me. I no longer get any more than slightly hypomanic and don't get depressed at all. My anxiety and paranoia have disappeared altogether. I take it with 75mg venlafaxine 2 hours before bed time and sleep like a log with very little hangover the next day. Side effects - after 2 hours of taking very dry mouth and unsteady on feet, weight gain - put on a stone all round my middle. It is the only medication that has worked for me. The disadvantage is if you need to get up in the night, your tongue sticks to the side of your mouth which makes you slur and you can't think straight."

Sarah(UK) (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take 300mg of XR, have for about two years now: 150 before bed and 150 midday (300 before bed was suppressing REM sleep). It has managed symptoms such as severe suicidal impulses/ideation, however overall I find that it barely sedates me. So I also take 10mg of Maximum strength Melatonin which seems to work in conjunction with the medication to allow me to sleep. Overall it seems to be somewhat effective, although I would like to take a higher dose or switch to another medication, however my doctor wants to eventually taper me off of it completely. Previously I have been unable to afford my medication and went without for 32 or so hours, the withdrawal was HORRIBLE, I felt sick then tried to sleep and couldn't due to severe spins/vertigo."

UWin November 7, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "A word of caution. I've noticed how positive these reviews tend to be. You should look-up the withdrawal effects when coming of this drug. I've been on and off medication for the last 20 years. When I came of efexor 15 years ago I couldn't walk for three days. But that was nothing compared to seroquel. And it takes 90 days for the withdrawal effects to begin to wear off. Seriously, before taking this drug you need to do some research. I would STRONGLY advise you to find another drug."

Raistlinson October 19, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on this medication for about 9 years for Bipolar, even after all that time i still suffer from the exhaustion i NEED to sleep 12 hrs every night any less and a few days later i have to sleep for 14 to 16 hrs to catch up so it pretty much rules my life in a bad way but it has more or less stopped the manic [has or at least made them less severe, dosn;t help with depression. After six years off work I'm trying to go back but everything has to be planned around taking quetiapine, i can't drive after taking it and i need to take it about five hrs before i want to sleep so nights out are a no no as i'm too groggy the next day. If i miss a dose i literally cannot sleep, my jaw tightens and i get anxious, i take 600mg"

sleepyhead1111111 October 15, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "My diagnosis is Bipolar one. I have been on Serequel XR for 3 years now. I have been stable for one year which is amazing. I am very lucky that this medication works really well for me. For the first few months or so it increased my appetite and I was fairly sedated throughout the day. As I adjusted to the medication this wore off. I now function better than I ever have. Suicidal thoughts are pretty much all gone, and when they do come, they pass. Have not had any depression, and only slightly concerning elevated moods (which happen rarely.) This drug prevents me from psychosis and for that I am extremely thankful. I am on 600mg once at night. UK resident."

ThimbleCat October 13, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ive been taking Seroquel/quetiapine for about 4 months now and I feel its definately helped with controlling hypomania as well as helping me to control anxiety. Also, I can keep to a regular sleeping schedule now! I HAVE LOST WEIGHT since starting to take quetiapine, and I have absolutely no appetite. Before taking this drug, I was scared I'd gain weight (like most people) but it just didnt happen. Rather, I need to remind myself to eat a little throughout the day or I'll have no energy because I just dont feel like eating period. One more thing: I felt too sleepy to drive after taking my a.m. dose, but after a couple of months the a.m. dose doesn't make me feel too sleepy anymore. I feel better in general."

JennTakingQuetiapine October 2, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been taking this for a few weeks and I think I've already gained 10 pounds because I am hungry 100% of the time. I've had insomnia for all 20 years of my life and have yet to find a medication that makes me sleep till this one, and on the 50 mg dose. That would be amazing if it did not make me sleep for the rest of the day too. It shuts me down to the point where it is harder than normal to breathe. I've been staying with it in hopes that I would improve but all I've noticed is that I am more irritated by even the smallest things."

Aubrey O September 23, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Love love love this drug. It has normalized my sleep, though the initial morning grogginess was hard to deal with. However, this side effect went away after the first month or two. I'm at 300mg and it has normalized my moods and has mostly gotten rid of my anxiety. The only downside is that it causes some pretty extreme "munchies," which does lead to some weight gain. May also have contributed to my pre-diabetic condition."

AudgePodge September 23, 2016