User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Great med, weight gain yes 50 lbs over 8 months started working out at the gym and watching what I eat and feeling good and hopeful for the future down 30 lbs does feel little of loss motivation at 500mg trying to lower dose to 300mg update later"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Seroquel about four years ago. I was a severe alcoholic at the time. I was once up to 900 mg daily. I quit drinking over a year ago. I switched to a new medication because of weight gain. Latuda did nothing for me. In addition once I was completely off Seroquel my anxiety and insomnia went through the roof. It was so severe that my doctor put me back on Seroquel. I have been diagnosed with bipolar type II, generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD. My doctor started seeing me every two weeks, and we were finally able to find my "magic dose" which is 200mg at bedtime. He also added lithium. I am very pleased with Seroquel. I know that many people can't tolerate it because it is a hard drug, but for me it works great"

NewtonN22 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Recently able to get the XR in generic form. This has been a complete life changing medication for me. It has improved all areas of my condition to a point I am fully capable to manage life without any other assistance."

mgoldapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Only take when needed. Mainly for it's sedative effects, though that doesn't always seem to work. Especially if I've been taking them for a few days in a row."

Darkness^6 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Quetiapine (Seroquel) for a little over a year. The pro's of this medication are that it helps me sleep and seems to tackle bipolar depression quite nicely. It also seems to make me less volatile and capricious. The con's unfortunately became too much. I gained over 50 pounds during my time on the drug, my blood pressure sky-rocketed and no amount of healthy eating or exercise helped me lose weight and keep it off. I have the appetite of a racehorse when I take it in the evening and my binging became dangerous. I also sustained a number of injuries to my legs and feet because my body couldn't keep up with the rapid weight gain during exercise. It's a good med, but be mindful that it causes weight gain!"

charliezzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 100mg of XR and it worked pretty well to stabilize my bipolar tendencies. However, it made the whole world feel bland and neutral... nothing in my life felt particularly exciting or even depressing. Also, if I didn't sleep at least 10h per night, I would feel drowsy and out of it the next day. I was literally a walking zombie and waking up in the morning was a true battle. My doc told me that the tiredness would go away after a couple of weeks/months but after a little more than 7 months the effects were still the same so I stopped taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was on immediate release version of Seroquel 200mg and the side effects were horrible! Everlasting hungover and craving for foods like if it's a drug or I would be going withdraw aka blood sugar crashes. So my Dr switched to seroquel 200mg extended release and it was a GODSEND form of drug! Barely any of sedating effects and even lack of any hungover.... And the best part was that I forgot to eat breakfast by accident several times in a week.... If for immediate release I would be going crazy for missing breakfast. Imagine that!"

Bipolarity Guy (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "This drug is a wonder drug. After 15 years of brutal bipolar symptoms (undiagnosed/ untreated) which destroyed my whole life, I now take 300mg at night and now I can have a normal life free of anxiety, mood swings, bipolar symptoms etc, I hold down a responsible full-time job, healthy relationships and friendships, I have hobbies. I never had any of that before; my bipolar destroyed my whole life. Seroquel gave it back. I hear of people wanting to go off Seroquel.. I'm the opposite. I would go to any lengths to make sure I never have to go off it. I'll gladly spend the rest of my life on it, because it gives me a normal life, and I won't risk that for anything. I've been on it 3 years, no side effects."

Beltane (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "At one point, I was on regular seroquel as needed and seroquel XR daily. During this time, I gained a lot of weight that I just could not take off. I was prescribed the seroquel as needed, 25 mgs up to 3 times a day. Later on, I was going through something else and seroquel had just gone generic. My psychiatrist put me back on the 25 mg pill as needed. I rarely used it and this time I didn't gain any weight from it, which I was relieved about. I know they say that the lower doses are supposed to make you really tired, but that didn't seem to have any effect on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "SeroquelXR has changed my life for the better. I am currently on 400mg once daily. (I also take klonopin before I go to work). For the last 6 months, I have not had to call out sick from work, which was a monthly occurrence before Seroquel. I have not had to take a leave of absence in the last year. I used to have to take 2 six week leaves a year. I feel much more positive about my job and my life in general. It has been a game changer for me. The only down side is the weight gain. It seems to slow your metabolism down and increase your appetite after taking it, making it difficult to loose weight. I am currently not overweight, so the weight gain is a small price to pay. I do have to exercise regularly and watch more carefully what I eat"

B303 May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Ambfly made me gain 100lbs in 8mos. I got off of it and started to loose 5lbs a night. My bad episodes got worse. I wish. I had the right information about this drug. If had known about the drug beforehand I would never have taken it"

Suzzie Lu May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I don't understand all the negative reviews. For me this pill has worked well. It's calmed me right down and has been blissful at moments. It's expensive unfortunately. As for weight gain, I've noticed that it's pretty neutral... Granted I'm weaning off of Zoloft as well so who knows but I find with medications with 'weight gain' as a side effect just trying your hardest to eat a well balanced diet will prevent it. It's too easy to give up and say oh well I'm gonna get fat - - it's very much not the case. Don't give up, if you're bipolar like me there's a chance you can do a lot with your brain so give it a shot and take your life back. I think much more clearly and am more productive. The overwhelming tiredness subsided after one week."

Patient 2545865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "So vivid in detail, from some, but, give this medication time. This drug had me feeling some wacked out, like on a boat sensation. Just light headed and motion sickness. I was told "six weeks" so instead of stopping it, which I dearly wanted to - I didn't. And to this day approx four years I thank myself, I didn't.. yes its heavy handed. But now I have nearly no racing thoughts, which drove me to suicidal tendancies, my mind never stopped it was like a TV on in the back ground. Next, sleep, sleep, peaceful sleep, I did crave sugar BUT NO WEIGHT GAIN. This drug is just broadly so good. This drug and a couple others balanced me. The racing thoughts Seroquel number one, but Ritalin was also something I am grateful for."

Willow Breeze April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Only lasted 2 weeks at the lowest dose, stopped because the side effects were so intolerable. Took in the evening, but still had trouble staying awake during the day, and felt like a total zombie when I did. May have given this a couple more weeks to see if it would have worn off had I not gained 15 lbs. as well (with no appetite change - I wasn't awake long enough to eat more!). I was already 35lbs overweight from meds as it was, & when I med chunks me up, it doesn't stop. Only reason it gets 2 stars is that it kicked my chronic insomnia's butt."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "For years I struggled with finding the right medication to help treat my bipolar disorder. Olanzapine basically turned me into Sleeping Beauty. I take 200mg of Seroquel, three times a day. Keeps me nice and level"

Niloufar53 (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have Bipolar, most the time being on Seroquel has helped settle my racing thoughts, helps me sleep at night, and helps me regulate my moods. At times I still get the highs and lows but not as severe without Seroquel. The side effects that I get is dry mouth, dry skin, increased appetite and High Cholestrol. Most of the time this medication helps me out."

AlouiseH April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am bipolar 1, and take 400mg per day of quetiapine XR. I take this in combination with 200mg of lamotrigine. This combination is highly effective. The XR version of quetiapine is far superior to the immediate release version. Side effects are lessened with XR. There is some weight gain I am experiencing however I am controling, and even losing the weight, with a strict diet and daily, strenuous exercise with weights. If you do not exercise and eat right on this medication there is a strong chance there will be very noticeable weight gain. That said, quetiapine XR is highly effective at stopping acute mania (in larger doses), and maintaining a baseline mood at my current dosage. I recommend trying this medication for controlling mania"

FrankieCasual (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take quetiapine and sertraline, I was taking 200mg Sertraline and 200mg Quetiapine but the weight gain was insane. So cut down to 50mg Q at Christmas and 100mg S. I've recently been very ill with noro virus and had the worst return of symptoms. Suicidal, anxious, racing thoughts and a new one, OCD. So I increased the Quetiapine again to 100mg (made up of 25mg tablets) and I've had what I can only describe as increase effects. Does that even exist? Cold feelings from flight or flight anxiety and agitated feelings."

Gemmimah April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"UK- My Psychiatrist diagnosed Bipolar coming from BPD. So was already on 200mg per day. He wanted me to increase the dose for it to have any impact on mood. 200mg is nothing for a Bipolar illness. Took a 300mg 9pm and woke up at 5 pm the next day!! Seeing as I work I doubt this will be the drug for me especially as I am going up to 600mg."

Anonymous April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I take this medication for bipolar, but it also does wonders for generalized anxiety disorder. I have suffered for DECADES with anxiety and panic attacks and SSRIs have stopped working for me. When I started taking seroquel it was like I finally saw color in the black and white world I was living in. My moods are completely under control and my anxiety is controlled for the most part. This medication definitely has side effects. Its a tranquilizer. It makes you very tired. It also made me gain a significant amount of weight...but I would rather deal with the side effects then deal with the horrible anxiety I was living with everyday. I take it before bed...make sure you're able to get at least 8 hours of sleep so you're not groggy the next day"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have been on this for about 2 months and I've recently been getting extremely tired all day long (even if I take it way earlier the day before). The drowsiness is so extreme that I cant even watch a show. I'm literally struggling to stay awake all day cause I feel like I just wanna sleep my life away. My depression has been through the roof as well! And to top it off, the weight I have gained since I have been on it, has been insane. I constantly wanna eat all the time! I have gained at least 20-30 pounds in the past month or two! I am definitely gonna tell my doctor I want off of it ASAP! I cant take it anymore "

Brittiany April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 5 years ago. I was so stressed about work, even though I liked my job and wasn't stressed about it for years before. Had continuous trouble sleeping more than 4 hours a night sometimes less. I went off work for two months due to stress, anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of seroquel and 20 mg of cipralex for depression. I take both at night an hour before going to bed. I saw a psychiatrist for about two months during the time I was off work. I didn't get off the couch basically all day for about a month. Started to sleep better and feel a bit better after a few weeks. I sleep perfectly now and haven't had any real problems last five years."

MG Mech March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Very drowsy for the first week of taking it, but once your body gets used to it, it is a great mood stabilizer. I've been on it 6 years and it calms the edginess and irritability with bipolar. Also makes you sleep like a rock. My weight only changed when lithium was added to my meds. No significant weight gain for me. If I go a few days without it, I notice I'm on edge constantly."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I'm 24 yrs old, have severe RA and been talking seroquel XR at 300 milligrams a night for nearly a year.... I was diagnosed bipolar 2 years ago but had so much trouble finding a psychiatrist who was caring enough to listen to me (like a psychologist AND work as a psychiatrist, pill pusher) so my diagnosis went treated and untreated on and off for a while. BUT since I've been seeing my doctor regularly and she seems to genuinely care I've trusted her judgment with her diagnosis and what she thought would help me most.... besides the weight gain, honestly I feel much more stable & I can deal with the world around me as I see it and haven't had any serious depressive episodes or hypomania. This medication has worked wonders for me."

Nessa Rea March 15, 2017