User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "My experience with this drug has been generally positive. It does tone down my hypomania, and is amazing at helping me sleep (it used to take me up to 3.5 hours lying in the dark to fall asleep...now it's closer to between 1-2 hours). However, it does give some weird side effects. It gives me intensely vivid dreams. I normally dream very little, but this gives me very strange dreams every night that I can very clearly remember on waking up. These dreams even frequently (3/4 times a week) cause me to wake up in the middle of the night! Would not recommend if you already have frequent nightmares or night terrors, as seroquel may make those much worse. Ineffective for depression."

Audrey K (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been on this for about 8 months so far. I take 300mg at bed time. It helps with sleep, but I do feel a bit tired during the day. This has really reduced my mania. I used to argue with people until I was literally foaming at the mouth, but now I lose interest in arguments within 5 or 10 minutes. Twitter and news used to upset me and I'd get ampted up about stories, but that's gone away mostly. Now I can react to things that used to make me furious with a laugh or just a short discussion with someone. Seroquel's not perfect, but the weirdness and intensity I used to experience has gone. It also helps greatly with my IBSd. I haven't had any weight gain, but my diet is low-fat and limited. Seroquel is MUCH better than TCAs btw. Good luck!"

theskysnotabove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Hi all! I'm diagnosed with PTSD and bipolar type 1. After my most recent manic episode I crashed into the worst depression and extreme anxiety I've ever experienced. I was tried on the usual antipsychotics and had dangerous side effects from all of them except Seroquel. For years and years I've had extreme insomnia. I was started on Seroquel (300mg) for sleep about 6 months and it was immediately effective. I love being able to sleep, but I'm sleeping 10 hours. I'd like to try to cut back a little and see if I can get to 8-9 hrs/night. My psychiatrist tells me I'm not just taking it for sleep, but for the bipolar itself. I'm still not back to my usual self due to lack of interest in anything. Hopefully I'll soon be better!"

MissieRae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Caused excessive weight gain (60+lbs) very quickly (despite me eating LESS), caused a weird decrease in cognitive ability, higher blood pressure (I already have hypertension, thanks), elevated blood sugar levels and probably other things I'm forgetting... I've been put on this against my will repeatedly because it's a Medicaid favored drug in my state, but it DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I still have Medicaid but go to a private pay shrink because he listens."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on this medication for about a week now. I am a type 1 diabetic. My sugars are extremely on the high side. It was like overnight it raised my sugars terrible. It has the complete opposite affect, my mind races. I pace , no sleep for me. So I think I need to be done with this. The not taking it verses the side effects. And I don't need this. So diabetics beware."

Diabetic 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

"Been on it for about 1 1/2 years for insomnia and mood swings (bipolar 2) Tried a few other drugs but this one works best. I have gained weight but I am a calmer, happier person on it. My sleep schedule has settled over time. Initially I slept too much (10 + hrs) or was tired during day. Settled finally on 2 generic Seroquel XR50's about 3-4 hrs before bed and that works pretty good for me. Don't know why it takes that long to kick in but it works so I don't care about why."

Patty May (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was prescribed this drug at crisis preparation and recovery services in Tempe, Arizona. I was misdiagnosed by her as "bi polar" . While on this medication, alongside with lexapro and klonopin - I gained weight fast and almost suffocated in my sleep. Be careful with this medication, and make sure you see a doctor before considering it - not a louzy nurse practitioner. Although I almost died from the drug, I know that the drug can be used well if the provider knows what they are doing. The NP was not listening to my concerns which should of been red flags,and she was not educated on the subject of medicine enough to prescribe/diagnose. She is now under investigation by the state board and may not be working anymore."

TempeAZ November 28, 2016

"OK I've been undiagnosed and put on anti anxietys and just left with no review of meds for 18 years. I have managed to change drs or let them ignore me or masked symptoms as I myself was a mental health nurse so unconsciously or maybe again I maybe ignored my behaviour. Anyway what I'm saying is I've tried a lot prescribed a lot and have to admit until 3 years ago when I started a new anxiety med and seeing a Dr who I didn't have to keep explaining often wrongly. So sertraline started making me clearer in thought and helped my recovery to start. I begged the dr to look at the cycles too look at the patterns of highs lows. And finally I was put on quintiapine! I can sleep when I need to at normal times and have to admit it changed my bi polar."

Leesoo November 18, 2016

"Knocked me out like a light after an hour and a half of taking it 100mg for a mouth"

Teddy1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2016

"Bipolar 2. Seroquel XL 400mg at night for last 5 years. Quetiapine has been great for me. I no longer get any more than slightly hypomanic and don't get depressed at all. My anxiety and paranoia have disappeared altogether. I take it with 75mg venlafaxine 2 hours before bed time and sleep like a log with very little hangover the next day. Side effects - after 2 hours of taking very dry mouth and unsteady on feet, weight gain - put on a stone all round my middle. It is the only medication that has worked for me. The disadvantage is if you need to get up in the night, your tongue sticks to the side of your mouth which makes you slur and you can't think straight."

Sarah(UK) (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2016

"I take 300mg of XR, have for about two years now: 150 before bed and 150 midday (300 before bed was suppressing REM sleep). It has managed symptoms such as severe suicidal impulses/ideation, however overall I find that it barely sedates me. So I also take 10mg of Maximum strength Melatonin which seems to work in conjunction with the medication to allow me to sleep. Overall it seems to be somewhat effective, although I would like to take a higher dose or switch to another medication, however my doctor wants to eventually taper me off of it completely. Previously I have been unable to afford my medication and went without for 32 or so hours, the withdrawal was HORRIBLE, I felt sick then tried to sleep and couldn't due to severe spins/vertigo."

UWin November 7, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "A word of caution. I've noticed how positive these reviews tend to be. You should look-up the withdrawal effects when coming of this drug. I've been on and off medication for the last 20 years. When I came of efexor 15 years ago I couldn't walk for three days. But that was nothing compared to seroquel. And it takes 90 days for the withdrawal effects to begin to wear off. Seriously, before taking this drug you need to do some research. I would STRONGLY advise you to find another drug."

Raistlinson October 19, 2016

"I've been on this medication for about 9 years for Bipolar, even after all that time i still suffer from the exhaustion i NEED to sleep 12 hrs every night any less and a few days later i have to sleep for 14 to 16 hrs to catch up so it pretty much rules my life in a bad way but it has more or less stopped the manic [has or at least made them less severe, dosn;t help with depression. After six years off work I'm trying to go back but everything has to be planned around taking quetiapine, i can't drive after taking it and i need to take it about five hrs before i want to sleep so nights out are a no no as i'm too groggy the next day. If i miss a dose i literally cannot sleep, my jaw tightens and i get anxious, i take 600mg"

sleepyhead1111111 October 15, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "My diagnosis is Bipolar one. I have been on Serequel XR for 3 years now. I have been stable for one year which is amazing. I am very lucky that this medication works really well for me. For the first few months or so it increased my appetite and I was fairly sedated throughout the day. As I adjusted to the medication this wore off. I now function better than I ever have. Suicidal thoughts are pretty much all gone, and when they do come, they pass. Have not had any depression, and only slightly concerning elevated moods (which happen rarely.) This drug prevents me from psychosis and for that I am extremely thankful. I am on 600mg once at night. UK resident."

ThimbleCat October 13, 2016

"Ive been taking Seroquel/quetiapine for about 4 months now and I feel its definately helped with controlling hypomania as well as helping me to control anxiety. Also, I can keep to a regular sleeping schedule now! I HAVE LOST WEIGHT since starting to take quetiapine, and I have absolutely no appetite. Before taking this drug, I was scared I'd gain weight (like most people) but it just didnt happen. Rather, I need to remind myself to eat a little throughout the day or I'll have no energy because I just dont feel like eating period. One more thing: I felt too sleepy to drive after taking my a.m. dose, but after a couple of months the a.m. dose doesn't make me feel too sleepy anymore. I feel better in general."

JennTakingQuetiapine October 2, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I've been taking this for a few weeks and I think I've already gained 10 pounds because I am hungry 100% of the time. I've had insomnia for all 20 years of my life and have yet to find a medication that makes me sleep till this one, and on the 50 mg dose. That would be amazing if it did not make me sleep for the rest of the day too. It shuts me down to the point where it is harder than normal to breathe. I've been staying with it in hopes that I would improve but all I've noticed is that I am more irritated by even the smallest things."

Aubrey O September 23, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Love love love this drug. It has normalized my sleep, though the initial morning grogginess was hard to deal with. However, this side effect went away after the first month or two. I'm at 300mg and it has normalized my moods and has mostly gotten rid of my anxiety. The only downside is that it causes some pretty extreme "munchies," which does lead to some weight gain. May also have contributed to my pre-diabetic condition."

AudgePodge September 23, 2016

"I have been on and off Seroquel generic instant release for years. Doses anywhere from 25 mg to 300 mg. It works for me absolutely. Have tried Zyprexa, Geodon, Risperdal, Latuda and Saphris. Always back to Seroquel though. Calms racing thoughts, squashes anxiety with the hammer of Thor, sleep like a stone. No weight gain for me, worst side effect is headache for me. Great med, recommend it for BPD. Bipolar, Anxiety or Panic and Insomnia."

CastielMinion (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

"I've been taking seroquel 200mg for years...I am bi polar but I'm manic I don't get depressed. Anyway Doc increased the dose to 400 mg..ok I have anxiety and panic attacks..I also take.buspirone 30mg twice a day...I can't sleep...and when I do its only a couple of hours..I also gained weight and have a little twitch and my hands shake...What do I do..Doctors don't listen to what you say...and put you on a bunch of crap..thanks for listening any impute is welcome"

Kathleengist September 16, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I am into week 2 of taking Seroquel for Bipolar disorder. The main side effects that I am noticing are the feeling about 20 minutes after taking it (makes me feel the same way Trazadone did when I took it for insomnia), and the cloudiness the next day. I have had several situations where something will come up, and I'll recall a conversation or physical activity that I truly think happened, but I cannot determine if I dreamed it or if it really happened. But, I am already noticing a major difference in the way I feel and am able to concentrate and interact while at work, and even with family (in a good way). Since it's only been 2 weeks, of course I am going to give it a little more time."

Chell GH September 13, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Have been on Seroquel XR 25mg (once before bed) for about 6 months now and my life has completely changed for the better. Yeah, the weight gain is a pain but its a small price to pay for normality. Social anxiety / severe insomnia has not been an issue for months!! Am finally myself again. Have tried other antipsychotics but nothing works as well as this one. Only downside is an insatiable appetite - but you can minimize weight gain by substituting with fruits etc, which is what Im currently doing."

vanillacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "After being on this medication for several months, I finally reached a dosage (600mg) that helped. I needed this to calm down my manic state. This being said, I gained close to 20lbs. As a 18 year old girl, this affected my confidence greatly. I was on a vegan diet for 7 months prior to being on this medication, and stayed on the diet while taking it. My weight was stable around 125 for all those months, however upon starting I went up to 145. Not to mention how absolutely exhausted this medication made me. I highly suggest trying to find another medication."

st3619 September 11, 2016

"Quetiapine's great but definitely take it at night otherwise it can cause a twilight type of drowsiness over the day."

psychr (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2016

"I took just 25mg and I felt awful -stomach, pain, headache and weaknesses. I had problem with falling a sleep and when I did I had nightmares. In the morning couldn't get up, spend all my day in bed with muscles pain and headache. But the worse was feeling irritated and restless, I felt really down and depressed I even had the thoughts of hurting myself...shame because I had a lot of hopes with it:-(. This meds is not for me..."

Lu125 September 8, 2016

" Caused depression and negative, self defeating thoughts early on. They just got worse and worse until finally it peaked in major anxiety and panic attacks so bad I could barley speak. Then I had to step down from the drug slowly due to the well documented withdrawal problems. So more time feeling god awful and wasted time out of my life. In my opinion, avoid this med if you can. It's a serious drug."

JT111 August 25, 2016