User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Six months without a bipolar cycle. I want to socialize again, date, have friends around, and I'm always in a decent mood. Amazing medicine. I take 300 mg of quetiapine with 1200 mg lithium and 200 mg lamictal. My cocktail works!"

Scw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I try to avoid going on these forums because they always give me anxiety about the new medication I am trying out. I have let this forum make me think that side affects were happening to me that really weren't in the past. Seroquel is amazing. I have Bi Polar and Seroquel was not out when I was first diagnosed. I started on it May of 2016 and I have had to increase my dose 100mg since then and it has changed my life. Seroquel has given me the ability to start to live my life more the way I want to live it. I wanted to post that here to not discourage someone who is starting out on it. My psychiatrist heard about this from one of the top Bi Polar doctors in the world speak at Harvard. This drug is wonderful and so helpful."

BiPolarEarlyTwentiesGirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have been taking this drug for a year and a half and it has changed my life. I've tried various drugs and lifestyle treatments over 5 years of great instability and desperation, going between breakdown after breakdown. Finding the right dose and preparation (slow release) has not only lifted me from crisis, but improved my wellbeing to an all time level. (It took a little while to adjust.) In particular it guarantees me a good night sleep and I can up the dose slightly if things slip. It has done wonders for my anxiety and given me the stability to really be what I want to be. I feel it is important to note that the drug is one part of the picture, and mindfulness, exercise, social/professional support etc. are important where possible"

Musician8907 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel was prescribed for sleep disorder and it works just fine without any hangover the next morning"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I have to say I've this medicine a 7 out of 10 because it has brought me out of both some wicked manias and depressive episodes. The sedation is a love-hate relationship with me- It's nice for my anxiety, but is also a nuisance. I MUST take this medicine 12 hours before I need to wake up, or I have trouble waking up. I feel it does interfere with my creative and intellectual abilities a tad bit. Overall, however, it's good med."

BipolarBear24 July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have mainly been given this medication for insomnia, and for several years it worked incredibly to help me sleep every night, the withdrawals are rough when I don't have it, and my insomnia get's really bad as well. I think it helped my anxiety depression some too. All of a sudden at 200mg it stopped working! Was very bummed out, but luckily doctor has found a replacement."

5150Aries (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I first took Seroquel about five years ago. I liked it because it didn't have the same side effects, such as feeling extremely anxious, as other anti psychotic medications have. The problem that I had with it was that it gave me a huge appetite. The medication alone caused me to gain weight. Needless to say I no longer take it."

Pete0315 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Hello! I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features and I have been taking seroquel instant release for almost four years. Currently I take 300 mg in the morning and 600 mg at night. Seroquel has helped my depression like other but at the same time has kept my mania and psychotic episodes at bay. Don't know where I would be without this drug!"

glennbp1 July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed once year ago with depression and associated generalized anxiety, I was prescribed initially sertraline and alprazolam, but the secondary effects of sertraline were too severe (nausea, vomit, diarrea), my psyc changed the sertraline to paroxetine, and again I didn't tolerated it. Finally a was prescribed venlafaxine which helped me with my depression symptoms, but I was too anxious, and irritable. Finally I was diagnosed with type 2 bipolar disorder and quetiapine was prescribed. Initially I was taking 25 mgs before going to sleep, which helped with sleep, but I was anxious and irritable, quetiapine dose was increased, and at this moment I taking 100 mgs before going to bed. This medication really helped, I'm not anxious or depressed."

RgB21 July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Great med, weight gain yes 50 lbs over 8 months started working out at the gym and watching what I eat and feeling good and hopeful for the future down 30 lbs does feel little of loss motivation at 500mg trying to lower dose to 300mg update later"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Seroquel about four years ago. I was a severe alcoholic at the time. I was once up to 900 mg daily. I quit drinking over a year ago. I switched to a new medication because of weight gain. Latuda did nothing for me. In addition once I was completely off Seroquel my anxiety and insomnia went through the roof. It was so severe that my doctor put me back on Seroquel. I have been diagnosed with bipolar type II, generalized anxiety disorder and PTSD. My doctor started seeing me every two weeks, and we were finally able to find my "magic dose" which is 200mg at bedtime. He also added lithium. I am very pleased with Seroquel. I know that many people can't tolerate it because it is a hard drug, but for me it works great"

NewtonN22 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Recently able to get the XR in generic form. This has been a complete life changing medication for me. It has improved all areas of my condition to a point I am fully capable to manage life without any other assistance."

mgoldapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Only take when needed. Mainly for it's sedative effects, though that doesn't always seem to work. Especially if I've been taking them for a few days in a row."

Darkness^6 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Quetiapine (Seroquel) for a little over a year. The pro's of this medication are that it helps me sleep and seems to tackle bipolar depression quite nicely. It also seems to make me less volatile and capricious. The con's unfortunately became too much. I gained over 50 pounds during my time on the drug, my blood pressure sky-rocketed and no amount of healthy eating or exercise helped me lose weight and keep it off. I have the appetite of a racehorse when I take it in the evening and my binging became dangerous. I also sustained a number of injuries to my legs and feet because my body couldn't keep up with the rapid weight gain during exercise. It's a good med, but be mindful that it causes weight gain!"

charliezzz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 100mg of XR and it worked pretty well to stabilize my bipolar tendencies. However, it made the whole world feel bland and neutral... nothing in my life felt particularly exciting or even depressing. Also, if I didn't sleep at least 10h per night, I would feel drowsy and out of it the next day. I was literally a walking zombie and waking up in the morning was a true battle. My doc told me that the tiredness would go away after a couple of weeks/months but after a little more than 7 months the effects were still the same so I stopped taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was on immediate release version of Seroquel 200mg and the side effects were horrible! Everlasting hungover and craving for foods like if it's a drug or I would be going withdraw aka blood sugar crashes. So my Dr switched to seroquel 200mg extended release and it was a GODSEND form of drug! Barely any of sedating effects and even lack of any hungover.... And the best part was that I forgot to eat breakfast by accident several times in a week.... If for immediate release I would be going crazy for missing breakfast. Imagine that!"

Bipolarity Guy (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "This drug is a wonder drug. After 15 years of brutal bipolar symptoms (undiagnosed/ untreated) which destroyed my whole life, I now take 300mg at night and now I can have a normal life free of anxiety, mood swings, bipolar symptoms etc, I hold down a responsible full-time job, healthy relationships and friendships, I have hobbies. I never had any of that before; my bipolar destroyed my whole life. Seroquel gave it back. I hear of people wanting to go off Seroquel.. I'm the opposite. I would go to any lengths to make sure I never have to go off it. I'll gladly spend the rest of my life on it, because it gives me a normal life, and I won't risk that for anything. I've been on it 3 years, no side effects."

Beltane (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Gained probably 80 pounds, constantly was ravenous, felt horrible, drowsy and disconnected, and my symptoms were not any better. No thanks"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "At one point, I was on regular seroquel as needed and seroquel XR daily. During this time, I gained a lot of weight that I just could not take off. I was prescribed the seroquel as needed, 25 mgs up to 3 times a day. Later on, I was going through something else and seroquel had just gone generic. My psychiatrist put me back on the 25 mg pill as needed. I rarely used it and this time I didn't gain any weight from it, which I was relieved about. I know they say that the lower doses are supposed to make you really tired, but that didn't seem to have any effect on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "SeroquelXR has changed my life for the better. I am currently on 400mg once daily. (I also take klonopin before I go to work). For the last 6 months, I have not had to call out sick from work, which was a monthly occurrence before Seroquel. I have not had to take a leave of absence in the last year. I used to have to take 2 six week leaves a year. I feel much more positive about my job and my life in general. It has been a game changer for me. The only down side is the weight gain. It seems to slow your metabolism down and increase your appetite after taking it, making it difficult to loose weight. I am currently not overweight, so the weight gain is a small price to pay. I do have to exercise regularly and watch more carefully what I eat"

B303 May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Ambfly made me gain 100lbs in 8mos. I got off of it and started to loose 5lbs a night. My bad episodes got worse. I wish. I had the right information about this drug. If had known about the drug beforehand I would never have taken it"

Suzzie Lu May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I don't understand all the negative reviews. For me this pill has worked well. It's calmed me right down and has been blissful at moments. It's expensive unfortunately. As for weight gain, I've noticed that it's pretty neutral... Granted I'm weaning off of Zoloft as well so who knows but I find with medications with 'weight gain' as a side effect just trying your hardest to eat a well balanced diet will prevent it. It's too easy to give up and say oh well I'm gonna get fat - - it's very much not the case. Don't give up, if you're bipolar like me there's a chance you can do a lot with your brain so give it a shot and take your life back. I think much more clearly and am more productive. The overwhelming tiredness subsided after one week."

Patient 2545865 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "So vivid in detail, from some, but, give this medication time. This drug had me feeling some wacked out, like on a boat sensation. Just light headed and motion sickness. I was told "six weeks" so instead of stopping it, which I dearly wanted to - I didn't. And to this day approx four years I thank myself, I didn't.. yes its heavy handed. But now I have nearly no racing thoughts, which drove me to suicidal tendancies, my mind never stopped it was like a TV on in the back ground. Next, sleep, sleep, peaceful sleep, I did crave sugar BUT NO WEIGHT GAIN. This drug is just broadly so good. This drug and a couple others balanced me. The racing thoughts Seroquel number one, but Ritalin was also something I am grateful for."

Willow Breeze April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Only lasted 2 weeks at the lowest dose, stopped because the side effects were so intolerable. Took in the evening, but still had trouble staying awake during the day, and felt like a total zombie when I did. May have given this a couple more weeks to see if it would have worn off had I not gained 15 lbs. as well (with no appetite change - I wasn't awake long enough to eat more!). I was already 35lbs overweight from meds as it was, & when I med chunks me up, it doesn't stop. Only reason it gets 2 stars is that it kicked my chronic insomnia's butt."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Seroquel (quetiapine): "For years I struggled with finding the right medication to help treat my bipolar disorder. Olanzapine basically turned me into Sleeping Beauty. I take 200mg of Seroquel, three times a day. Keeps me nice and level"

Niloufar53 (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2017