User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I love Seroquel. I do. I've been on as much as 200 mg/day for the the last 8 months and now am currently hoping 75-100 mg/day will prove as effective as 200 at eliminating bipolar depression. I've honestly never been happier or more stable in my memorable life and I'm 34. The sleep is fantastic, anxiety an issue of the past and I just have such a high but stable mood. As for the reviewers promising this drug will not cause you to gain unless you increase your food consumption: Don't believe it! Research it! You might be lucky but this drug does NOT only increase appetite--it can decrease some core metabolic functions. Many people have to really restrict calories & up exercise just to maintain pre-Seroquel weight!"

Gemi777 July 28, 2016

"Well had many changes or should I say increases in medication as I seem to only get 12 months benefit then medication becomes less and less effective. Regarding quetiapine I was on 60mg a day. 9 months ago I started to become ill again. I became suicidal. so saw my psychiatrist. He said the current thinking was 600 to 800 mg of quetiapine. was the effective dose to take for bipolar. So now I am on 600mg every evening. I am back to being well and have been for many months The only side is effect is relaxing of muscles, talking like a drunk.So to take it early evening,and go to bed once I start feeling drowsy,"

Andy Bipolar disorder (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "when I was first put on this medication in the emergency room, I was coming off heroin and my mood swings was horrific, and my anxiety was off the charts, they put me on 200 mg. immediately and was to take it 3 times a day. I was diagnosed as bipolar, ptsd severe anxiety disorder, hearing voices to kill myself, sleep disorder, among a few others. I have loved this medicine since day one almost 4 years ago. I have ended up 150 lbs. over weight, and diabetic. however one may see this, I call this my miracle pill. I wish I had been put on it as a teenager. I have told my psych don't ever try to take this away from me, I get paranoid at thinking about it. I may be fat and diabetic, but I have a good life and great family."

lisa022 July 18, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "First of all, let me start by saying that I hear that this is an expensive drug because of how new it is. Luckily for me (perhaps, lol), my insurance considera me catastrophic due to my checkered past, and pays the entire price because they want me to take this medication and stfu lol. Since taking Seroquel XR, my life has improved so much, and I really have never felt more stable in my life. I've tried anticonvulsants and other antipsychotics and they have not worked for me. This medication really does, to my surprise! The only downfall is that I've gained 10 pounds taking it, but any antipsychotic will do that. Strongly recommend Seroquel XR!"

JoeyBBY92 July 16, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This medication was a life saver after being admitted in the hospital for being manic an very agaitated was titrated from 50mg to 250mg a day in it has cured my agitation 75% of my mood 50% of my deppression since most antidepressants make me manic I would recommend to anyone who has tried multiple medicines I can finally sleep feel relaxed in not stay angry for hours."

bipolardude July 15, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I am a 42 yr. old woman with ADHD along with Bipolar Depression also coming off 8 yrs. of taking pain medications every day ( norco's as well as Percocet's) I was getting between both 300 a month.. I've been off the pain meds for 4 mth now so far so good.. But after the fog cleared from the pain meds all my other diagnoses come out full blast,. So I was taking a 2mg Xanax, 350mg soma, along with 300mg trazadone at night and still couldn't sleep. Thanks to my new doctor I'm on 1mg Xanax along with 100mg Seroquel at night and within a hour I'm asleep and I mean good sleep (no dreams getting up thru the night etc.,) so fingers crossed it stays that's way!!!"

PMA74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

"My doctor prescribed me this medicine just two days ago and was able to pick up yesterday and took it before bed last night. I did start to feel drowsy and dizzy. As I tried to get comfortable, my heart was racing, my eyes, legs and arms were restless but my brain was asleep while my eyes were open. I felt like my dr prescribed me speed instead of sleeping meds, on top of that my mouth was as dry as a desert when I woke up this morning and no matter how much water I drank my mouth would not absorb it. Bottom of the story I felt like a tweeker and ended up getting barely any sleep at all. This is just night one, lets up trial nights two and three are better"

Sleep from hell (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I'm at the two-week point. And while it's still a bit painful to get out of bed, once I do I no longer feel "stoned." There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Days one through five were as follows: 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg, 300 mg, 400 mg. Then it was a matter of getting my body acclimated to 400 mg, which I thought would never happen. If you are able to take vacation/sick days/medical leave, I do suggest it. I did not. Either way, just know it does get better within a matter of weeks."

Average New York Professional June 21, 2016

Average New York Professional (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

"I went on this for bi polar disorder and depression. although it did help with my depression but not with my anger. it also made me gain weight!! Its only been a month and i'm up 15 pounds."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I really noticed a negative difference when comparing the XR version to the regular Seroquel. It took longer to kick in and made me so drowsy at work that I felt like I was drunk. I think I was taking 100-200 mg. When I went back to regular Seroquel, 100-200 mg put me to sleep fast and made a difference in stabilizing my mood without me feeling too drowsy to function the next day."

xRavenx June 6, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel has been very helpful with sleep, and I also noticed some mood stabilization in combination with Lamictal and sometimes Klonopin. Sometimes it is overly sedating, but taking it a couple of hours before normally going to sleep is important for me so that I don't feel drowsy the next day. I did not notice any weight gain on it. My doctor started me on 50 mg, which was good for sedation, but no major difference in mood. 100 mg does make a difference in lower my anxiety and some mood stabilization with my other medications, but sometimes she recommends me to take 200 mg to reduce mania from flaring up when it starts. Overall, this med has been useful for Bipolar 1 for me."

xRavenx (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have been on serequel for 3 years. It is a blessing. I went through my whole life sleep walking until my cousin was diagnosed bipolar. I took one of his pills becausehe ccomplained it made him sleep and finally with 300 mg. I am sleeping. He no longer takes it. I told my friend about it she is on it, but has a small dosage. I have a high tolerance to all drugs so it works for me. Just added lamotrine... Because I want to rise earlier in the morning. But if my sleep is ddisturbed I will stick with it. As iI can never go back to miserable ssickening insomnia. Pray for me."

lovehersincerly June 3, 2016

"I was really scared about taking quetiapine as I had read all the horror stories, particularly around weight gain. Firstly, I would say everyone is different and this may work for you. For me it has been a godsend. I haven't felt this good ....ever....it has made such a difference to my life. Far better than any antidepressants for bipolar depression. As far as weight gain is concerned, before taking quetiapine (75 mg) I was binge eating 3 days out of 5. This has stopped entirely, I have no desire to binge eat...like flicking a switch. So my advice is to try it remember 77% of patients don't gain weight on this drug. Btw I am also on lamictal 200mg. (I felt more hungry on mirtazapine)"

LauraHol (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This was the worst I wouldn't give this to my dog. I was given this to treat Bipolar II when I was 22. It screwed with my sugar system, kept me near comatose and gave me tics that thankfully went away when I stopped taking it. I would never take this again."

Ottto May 18, 2016

"It's a very useful drug for Bi-Polar Disorder, but it can make you very drowsy and fatigued; also, it affects your concentration and speed of doing things"

Ady Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was diagnosed with Bipolar II when I was 15 years old and have used only cannabis since then to deal with it, but after years of cannabis abuse my symptoms started to become uncontrollable, I needed to smoke 2-3 grams of weed a day just to stay physically calm, and even then I had a lot of internal anxiety and no motivation. I could never quit smoking because if I did I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't sit still, and couldn't feel any joy. I would always relapse if I quit. I started Seroquel a week ago, and haven't had any weed since: I can eat normally, sleep 6-7 hours a night, and feel relatively happy. Plus I have literally no side effects as far as I can tell. I haven't felt this good in years; It's all uphill from here!"

Wizardrous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Pleased with this medication. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 two years ago at age 48. Started on lamotrigine (300 mg) and buproprion XL (150 mg) taken in the morning, which worked well, but didn't calm the incessant negative and depressing thoughts I was still battling. Seroquel was added recently. I take 300 mg at bedtime. Great sleep medication! This is the best, most effective medicine I've ever used if I need to get to sleep early in order to wake up early in the morning for work. I exercise on my elliptical on average 5 days a week, and haven't experienced any weight gain since taking Seroquel, gratefully. I think weight gain would be less of an issue if more bipolar people committed to exercising on a regular basis."

J Money (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Been on sroquel for one month. Have gained 9 lbs. otherwise good drug."

Sheila d Eddy April 30, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I have started to take 200 mg in July 2015. I have gained weight to much , nearly 20 kg. I have taken 100 mg in December 2015 and now I have been taking 50 mg. I want to quit Seroquel. Because I feel like zombie . I sleep very well but I can't get up early and I often go to work too late. During the day I feel tired and asleep. For mind and brain is good but damages of Seroquel is more than benefits of it , I think. It does addiction . I want to quit it or I want to take 25 mg any more."

6495nabas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2016

"I've been taking 300mg of quetiapine for the last 5 years for Bipolar type 2, and it's honestly turned my life around. Serious/semi-serious hypomanic/depressive episodes down to 1-2 a year, mild up and downs 2-4 times a year."

Anonymous April 24, 2016

"Helped me sleep. Gained 10 pound in a month. Did not feel more level or stable. Worse actually."

Ccrccr April 17, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "I was prescribed seroquel xr for Bipolar depression My dr started me on 50mg and I am gradually increasing the dosage its been about 4 weeks and I am currently taking 200 mg I will agree that it has helped the hopelesness feelings and suicidal thoughts Which is a plus but the zombie like feeling and dry mouth are tough I have a job that requires constant activity its hard to keep up have to definitely slow down My Dr advised me that these side affects are all normal and eventually I will get used to it can't wait for this to happen"

shortie62 April 9, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Been on Quetiapine MR for around 9 months. 300mg at night. Found it far less sedating than Olanzapine. Its been a miracle for my Bipolar, absolutely no depression and no manic episodes. Yeah I put on weight but the effects on my mood and mental health have been incredible."

p-mo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Been in therapy with a Counselling Psychologist for just over 3 years. Diagnosis from Consultant Psychiatrist - Complex-PTSD, Bipolar Type 2 and Fibromyalgia. Been on Sertraline 200mg for 2 years. Ate Diazepam 2.5mg like smarties after a relationship with an Anti Social Personality Disordered Man. Been taking Quetiapine since December '15 and slowly moved up to 125mg to increase to 200mg. Was taking 7.5mg Mertazipine for sleep though have now removed it due to increase of Quetiapine and weight gain. Overall I'm feeling much calmer, more rational, less reactive and more confident talking to people. After intrusive thoughts, cognitive dissonance, depression, anxiety, insomnia, crying, dissacociation, nightmares etc I'm happy!"

Blu75 March 22, 2016