User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Seroquel (quetiapine): "3 years ago I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt & diagnosed with rapid-cycling bipolar. I was put on a low dose of seroquel until I could get in to see the psychiatrist a month later. It definitely levelled out my mood and made me feel much more stable within days. Even after switching meds 3 times since, I still use seroquel as a supplementary medication and I have no desire to get off of it"

Cboxjett (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2018

"I take 200mg at night. It works great for sleep and anxiety, it's alright for mania and hypomania as well, but then you realized you gained 25 pounds in 5 months and feel even worse about yourself then when you first started. For all that are writing 10/10 reviews... just wait a few months... You'll look and feel like a beached whale once you become fat and out of breath just by walking up a flight of stairs. On the bright side, if you're underweight, this medication will bulk you right up!"

Ilikespacex (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2018

"I have just been prescribed this medication again at 200mg after being taken off it October 2017. It has helped with sleeping and audio hallucinations but the worry is the weight gain and also the effect on diabetes. I have been on this medication for long long time and my psychiatrist did the right thing tapering me off it but it didn't work and I got hospitalised. This lower dosage may need to be increased slightly but I would prefer not to exceed 300mg"

Allen1972 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 1, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was put on this med years ago and taken off. I asked him why I stopped taking it because of weight gain, I don't feel that was the only reason. I have had problems with anxiety and depression for a long time, but it got extremely worse. The anxiety was so bad that I couldn't eat, gave me worse flashbacks from my PTSD which was caused by trauma throughout my life (domestic abuse and rape). I got headaches, eye pain, palpitations, my hypothyroidism was all off, stomachs pain, worse depression to the point I lost weight which I am already thin. I could go on, but the Dr didn't take into consideration that I suffer from epilepsy, got vertigo, seizures increased. I ended up yesterday in a crisis center because I couldn't stop crying, and had racing thoughts which I forgot to mention. And the flashbacks of my life was one after another. Just was not a good choice of medication for me, especially with physical issues."

Jean (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was prescribed Seroquel for treatment resistant depression. I only took it for about 2 weeks. For every night I wasn't able to sleep my doc upped my dose. Which was most nights. In my opinion, it was upped too quickly. It literally made me feel like I was going crazy. I'm aware that is a very subjective feeling, but I can't put it in words how bad it made me feel. I would still recommend it only if titrated very slowly."

VickyEE (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "works well. It knocked me out, sleep great through the night.. was having a hard time sleeping with other insomniac medications, & by far this is the best so far. I only started taking it so I'm not sure, what the side effects will be.( I'm taking it for bi polar)"

kylo G February 21, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This has helped me immensely in combo with lexapro to treat anxiety and depression"

jensrda February 15, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Tried Seraquel ten years ago. Ended up driving when my body when into SEVERE convulsions. Was barely able to turn around and drive back home. Then, recently, ten years later I was prescribed SEROQUEL XR. Again. I didn’t make the connection to the first time. Took the 100mg dosage two nights ago. Uncontrollable convulsions and seizures. I have restless leg syndrome and my legs were flying all around. No way to lie down and sleep, so I walked around the house for four hours, occasionally I sitting at my desk for a bit. No sleep. Then, the next day I suffered the entire day suffering from cognitive dissonance. I kept going in and out of “the moment.” And I would spend about thirty seconds in this state, then return for a minute or two. This cycle went on all day long. Third day now and back to “normal.” Not taking anything now."

Felix99 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

"I'm not from a company or anything, just want to share my honest opinion. I went into a severe bipolar depression and nothing was helping. Tried quetiapine, it knocked me out, took one before bed and unlike other pills this doesn't make me feel groggy in the morning, I wake up with a clear head, but yeah, it does make you want to eat a lot, but just go to sleep don't act on the cravings, a bit of dry mouth for me and that's it, mood is improving by a lot. So yeah, not that bad compared to other drugs I've been on. Toodles."

alister12345 February 12, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I'm surprised to see so many positive reviews for seroquel for depression and panic/anxiety. That is why I was prescribed it 2x a day and I didn't take it very long. Everyone is different, I'm glad it works for others, for me I was extremely tired 24/7, had to force myself to get up and stay up and do anything, I felt like I was out of it like it wasn't even to help me mentally and emotionally but like I took a street drug. I was so tired and forcing myself to stay up. I couldn't do anything luckily I didn't have a job at the time. This drug did not help me. Everyones different though, I'm sure it has helped others. To me its like seroquel=sleep."

mae77 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "the reason I'm rating this drug 10/10 is that it does not stab you in the back , and it does not ask for increased doses , it works all the time , and kicks in fast , and makes you feel euphoric combined with sleepiness. If stayed awake more than 30 minutes after taking it , you will feel hungry , so if you are worried about gaining weight just take it and sleep. Find your correct dose that works well , and remember good sleep equals good mood. If you feel sleepy the next day , thats if ' drink some coffee + 1 cup of water. And remember to do 20 minutes of exercise every day just not before going to sleep and you will feel batter 100%"

Light_bringer January 31, 2018

"I have been on and off seroquel several times over the last 10 years. I have a comorbid diagnosis of ptsd and bipolar type 2. I have had great success with this medication! It helps me sleep, keeps me balanced, and allows me to focus and concentrate without jumbled up thoughts. I have been able to avoid weight gain and metabolic issues thus far while on seroquel. For people struggling with weight on this med I suggest drinking lots and lots of water (1st thing in the morning, start chugging). I try and intake as much fiber as I can throughout the day, this includes a benefiber supplement. I am a vegetarian so I eat a lot of plant based/whole foods. For me this works but I do have to remain aware of what I eat because it does seem to slow down the metabolism."

Dlemon January 28, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This drug has changed my life. I'm on 300 mg and find it helps me sleep and stops me from becoming stupidly manic. I haven't gained any weight but I go to the gym and walk every day, so I'm very active. My only complaint is it takes me quite a while to wake up in the mornings. I'm also on 300 mg of Lamictal."

Anonymous January 26, 2018

"I was 7 1/2 stone wearing a size 10 and 5' 8 1/2. Yes I was under weight but food was something I never really thought about. I was either hyper or depressed. So the consultant decided to put me on seroquel (quetiapine). I am now 15st and a size 20 tell me how I am meant to be happy to take this drug."

Caro!23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "It does help with sleeping and my brain was so calm BUT I was only on 25 mg and I gained 15 pounds in 3 months. I was constantly hungry but even if I only ate salad it would just keep me at the same weight. It was the gross cellulite chunky fat! My metabolism and thyroid was changed. I went off Seroquel to stop my body from changing so much."

Shanny5150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2018

"I was diagnosed in 1992, bipolar disorder, tried everything that was available at that time. Finally about 10+ years ago, started seroquel 25mg. Have been taking ever since, up to 400mg at night. It has been very good for me. I also take klonopin,topamax, sonata,&wellbutrin. Finally the right cocktail! And, now, I have moved to a different county, and they want to take me off “slowly “ the meds that have helped me. Just the thought makes me want to panic. Already reduced seroquel to 300mg. My klonopin from 4mg (2am-2pm) to 1 1/2mg . I’m so glad that I got my Med marijuana card last year, so off I go to the MMD !!!"

lndajo (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I was on numerous different bipolar medications but this one was the worst! This medicine landed me in the hospital. I had pain in right waist when I urinated. My creatinine levels were high. And picked up a LOT of weight. I wonder if some of these reviews weren't written by the company itself. It seems there are lots more people struggling with these meds. I weaned off it but now it seems I have bad withdrawals, blood pressure problems, headaches, fainting, dizziness, severe insomnia, heart palpitations, red spots on my skin, my insides feels like they are shaky! I would never ever recommend this"

FOUNDSHEEP December 26, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Seroquel XR saves my life! No more mania and no more suicidal thoughts in the past year of taking this med!it completely squashed my mania and stopped my racing thoughts better than any other medication! I still had some depression for a while, but not nearly as bad! My doctor recently added Lamictal for additional help on the depressive side, and I’ve never felt so stable in my life! Not to mention that Seroquel helps me sleep well for the first time in my life!:)"

VC8 December 22, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Seroquel saved my life. With it, I can sleep deeply, I can restrain myself from impulsive behavior, it calms my anxiety, and it stops my irritability. I am a rapid cycle bipolar 2. I've noticed I have a 3 day gap of not taking it before my mania comes back. The only side effects that I've experienced is sweating/dry mouth (so stay hydrated) and seroquel munchies. Right before bed as it hits me I get the munchies. If I eat right before I take it, I don't have such an intense craving for food. Rate 8/10."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

"I’ve been taking 25mg the past month and it made life worth living again. It stabilizes me so well. I can do things again without feeling empty. Granted I started taking it during a depressive state not mania so I don’t know how well it will work then. The doctor upped my dose to 50mg at night because it makes me drowsy and to fix my nightmare issue. Warning, it made my anxiety after taking a pill bad the first two weeks. After that it went away, I continue to take my dose at night. When I take it it doesn’t make me feel anything which is okay because I usually sleep but the next day is when I feel it’s stabilizing effects. One last warning I found that if I took the pill without eating or drinking anything the drowsiness is worse."

Spookybi December 13, 2017

"Took this for ONLY 3 DAYS and I'm already done with it. Gave it a 5 because if you need this for just insomnia, it's great! However (at least for me) this is not the med to help with a mental illness! Have severe anxiety and depression, and now I am displaying signs of bipolar. Doctor prescribed this in addition to my anti depressant to help with my cycling moods... all this does is knock you out cold. Sure, my mood has been more stable the past 2 days, but that's ONLY because I have felt like an emotionless zombie. Not worth it. Time for me to call the doc again and find something that won't just knock me out for 12+ hours at a time, no joke...."

Younameit (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "This stuff is terrible! I have been on it for a very long time and had a lot of side effects like weight gain but the worst one was the dry mouth. I would drink 4 bottles of water every night and eat hard candy and spend most of my time in the bathroom. I also wanted to eat everything in sight. My doctor finally took me off this stuff and I'm on another drug like it but without all the side effects. I'm also feeling a lot better mentally."

cat momma (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "I usually don't post on these sites but I had to with seroquel. First off, if you are on this drug, you have to give up drugs and alcohol. It does suck but I still party and go out and have fun with my friends, just sober fun. But learning how to dance your butt off without the help of alcohol is actually pretty liberating. I just want everyone to know that without going completely sober on this drug you get 1/2 the benefits of it. I drank half a drink the other night and was fatigued for 1 and a half days and was late for work. Imagine if I had two drinks every night I went out! I would be sleeping all the time! For everyone with Bi Polar, we know that taking care of ourselves and sleep is very important. We got this guys<3"

1017forever December 8, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "OKAY SO, I was put on this medication to help manage my "bipolar disorder." This medication would either COMPLETELY knock me out, or I would be able to fight it and stay awake throughout the night snacking ALL NIGHT long. it made me so hungry, and I gained 40lbs on it. My doctor NOW wants to put me on Ziprasidone which is similar to this medication, and I am very hesitant."

Merrrrr December 7, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Made my mood a thousand times worse, only helps with putting me to sleep"

cmcmr December 6, 2017