User Reviews for Quetiapine (Page 3)

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 19 reviews 46 medications

5.6
Summary of Quetiapine reviews 938 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Quetiapine

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "A word of caution. I've noticed how positive these reviews tend to be. You should look-up the withdrawal effects when coming of this drug. I've been on and off medication for the last 20 years. When I came of efexor 15 years ago I couldn't walk for three days. But that was nothing compared to seroquel. And it takes 90 days for the withdrawal effects to begin to wear off. Seriously, before taking this drug you need to do some research. I would STRONGLY advise you to find another drug."

Raistlinson October 19, 2016

For Insomnia: "I've been taking this medication for about 6 months at 50mg a night to help with sleep. Honestly, I have had 0 side effects and have experienced no weight gain or any extra urges to eat at night. This medication has a tendency to increase your appetite, or as I like to refer to as, "the munchies." However, I don't think this is something you need to worry about as long as you are aware of this possibility. Just be mindful and don't go to bed starving before you take it! I think it's clear that some people react well to seroquel and others react horribly... which is normal for all medications. Trial and error!"

Annie M (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 18, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed it for my Borderline Personality Disorser and I find it definitely addictive in a way of sleep! I have become dependent on it due to its sedative values (which really does help if u struggle with insomnia, major anxiety at night and racing thoughts when alone) however I don't feel it has calmed or helped any other aspects of the disorder it just allows me to sleep. there is no magic pill but this I feel normally would work better along side therapy and perhaps other meds for different aspects. as a lone medication I haven't found it overly productive other than I already specified."

dalts (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this medication for about 9 years for Bipolar, even after all that time i still suffer from the exhaustion i NEED to sleep 12 hrs every night any less and a few days later i have to sleep for 14 to 16 hrs to catch up so it pretty much rules my life in a bad way but it has more or less stopped the manic [has or at least made them less severe, dosn;t help with depression. After six years off work I'm trying to go back but everything has to be planned around taking quetiapine, i can't drive after taking it and i need to take it about five hrs before i want to sleep so nights out are a no no as i'm too groggy the next day. If i miss a dose i literally cannot sleep, my jaw tightens and i get anxious, i take 600mg"

sleepyhead1111111 October 15, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My diagnosis is Bipolar one. I have been on Serequel XR for 3 years now. I have been stable for one year which is amazing. I am very lucky that this medication works really well for me. For the first few months or so it increased my appetite and I was fairly sedated throughout the day. As I adjusted to the medication this wore off. I now function better than I ever have. Suicidal thoughts are pretty much all gone, and when they do come, they pass. Have not had any depression, and only slightly concerning elevated moods (which happen rarely.) This drug prevents me from psychosis and for that I am extremely thankful. I am on 600mg once at night. UK resident."

ThimbleCat October 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "quetiapine changed my life for the better concerning my bipolar disorder. Making my mood swings less severe , and insomnia . The only major drawback to this is you become completely dependent on it for being able to fall asleep . It's almost like an addiction. My doctor tried tapering me off it once and it was a nightmare. So, in the end I am still taking it. I am curious if anyone feels dependent or "addicted""

Thiscouldbe_heartbreak16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on this for a few weeks for insomnia. It is TERRIBLE. It gives me a severe headache every morning and has made my depression increase threefold. I absolutely hate this medication. It has actually made me feel more mentally unstable."

Deanne marie October 12, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I really have a love/ hate relationship with Quetiapine. Here goes... Love- keeps moods stable, helps with my psychosis and disassociation linked to Bipolar and EUPD. I feel like it keeps my more volatile mood swings back and helps me to be calm in situations I would ordinarily struggle with. Hate- Man, it makes me eat. I've been on it for 9 months and I've put on just over 2 stone. I hate being this heavy but it seems no amount of gym sessions (I'm extremely physically fit but can't loose the weight) and diets help. Every night I go the fridge after I've taken 200mg of it. It also makes me super tired and I REALLY struggle to get up in the morning. I also feel like I'm trapped in a cycle- if I come off it, my moods are awful."

CharlieTD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Depression: "I am diagnosed with borderline personality disorder with psychotic features. I was put in intensive out patient care after going to the Emergency Room for intense auditory hallucinations that were so malicious I feared for my own life. Lost my job and everything. Seroquel has given me hope as well as lorazepam for my anxiety. To me seroquel is a miracle drug for its antipsychotic features as well as depression. I'm having to up the dosage lately because my voices are creeping back in. Searching for further pychiactric help but right now I'm stable and I thought that would be impossible. Sharing a good experience. Thanks for reading."

Keylimeisbomb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Ive been taking Seroquel/quetiapine for about 4 months now and I feel its definately helped with controlling hypomania as well as helping me to control anxiety. Also, I can keep to a regular sleeping schedule now! I HAVE LOST WEIGHT since starting to take quetiapine, and I have absolutely no appetite. Before taking this drug, I was scared I'd gain weight (like most people) but it just didnt happen. Rather, I need to remind myself to eat a little throughout the day or I'll have no energy because I just dont feel like eating period. One more thing: I felt too sleepy to drive after taking my a.m. dose, but after a couple of months the a.m. dose doesn't make me feel too sleepy anymore. I feel better in general."

JennTakingQuetiapine October 2, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I'm a Desert Shield/Desert Storm vet who went through a lot of stuff. Plus, during peacetime I was taken hostage in South America and faced execution. Like a lot of vets, I self-medicated with alcohol. I had done this for many years. One year I went to the VA hospital near me and spoke with a Dr. about the issues I was having. She said I most likely had PTSD. I went through the whole process with the VA to get benefits and they finally saw this as a disability. I was put on an antidepressant, mood stabilizer, prazosin (for nightmares), Xanax (for anxiety), quetiapine 200Mg (for restlessness and hypervigilance).I also take 30Mg of Oxycodone a day for pain related to an injury while in the military.Quetiapine works;be careful with other drugs"

Kitchenfish September 24, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking this for a few weeks and I think I've already gained 10 pounds because I am hungry 100% of the time. I've had insomnia for all 20 years of my life and have yet to find a medication that makes me sleep till this one, and on the 50 mg dose. That would be amazing if it did not make me sleep for the rest of the day too. It shuts me down to the point where it is harder than normal to breathe. I've been staying with it in hopes that I would improve but all I've noticed is that I am more irritated by even the smallest things."

Aubrey O September 23, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Been on it for 5 year started on 50mg now on 300mg as duloxetine 60mg and even tho its helped with swinges in still feel it all trapped behind a locked door and i know its the medication holding it back and every time it breaks through i end up on higher and higher doses"

Pauldutch (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 23, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Love love love this drug. It has normalized my sleep, though the initial morning grogginess was hard to deal with. However, this side effect went away after the first month or two. I'm at 300mg and it has normalized my moods and has mostly gotten rid of my anxiety. The only downside is that it causes some pretty extreme "munchies," which does lead to some weight gain. May also have contributed to my pre-diabetic condition."

AudgePodge September 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "This drug was pushed for off-label uses that the FDA did not approve. Google seroquel for more details including legal repercussions faced by the pharmaceutical company. The drug also has severe side effects and so, should be weighed against the pros and cons of other (possibly more) appropriate drugs. Due to this Seroquel, I became allergic to the sun, also known as a photoallergic eruption. Seroquel was prescribed to me for insomnia and not only was I in extreme pain for months due to burning of the skin, itchiness, and more, but I went on to develop the worst insomnia of my life that left me debilitated and suicidal."

Anonymous September 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "I took this back when I was 15 and it was perfect for my terrible anxiety and insomnia, 25mg knocked me out completely and put me to sleep. I've been on melatonin for the last few years as quetiapine made me too drowsy the next day, but recently I have been back on quetiapine as I have been finding my anxiety keeping me up at night. I've put myself back on a 12.5-25mg dose and it's worked Wonders. It feels euphoric, and puts me to sleep like a charm. Downsides: I've been feeling so out of it during the day, drowsy, harder to wake, plus I've had a few headaches and stomach upsets. Also scared I'm going to gain weight as that is commonly reported? As far as doing its job as a sleeping pill though, it's incredible."

Anonymous September 18, 2016

For Insomnia: "Ive been taking 200 mg for about 11 years now and it makes me sleep for ages. I can wake up with an alarm when I need to get stuff done but it makes me super laggy."

Brillany September 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on and off Seroquel generic instant release for years. Doses anywhere from 25 mg to 300 mg. It works for me absolutely. Have tried Zyprexa, Geodon, Risperdal, Latuda and Saphris. Always back to Seroquel though. Calms racing thoughts, squashes anxiety with the hammer of Thor, sleep like a stone. No weight gain for me, worst side effect is headache for me. Great med, recommend it for BPD. Bipolar, Anxiety or Panic and Insomnia."

CastielMinion (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

For Insomnia: "All my life, a typical night would start with 1 to 2 hours laying in bed before falling asleep, and then waking several times with trouble getting back to sleep. My bedroom has light blocking curtains plus a white noise machine, but I still had trouble getting more than five hours of sleep. My Doctor has prescribed Ambien CR, Rozerem, Sonata, Restoril and Trazadone. I have tried Benadryl and Melatonin/Valerian pills but nothing worked well or long term until I tried Quetiapine. I take 50mg 30 minutes before bedtime and I sleep a good 6 to 8 hours daily! I have more vivid dreams but no nightmares, and 3 years with no loss of effectiveness and no weight gain! A good dose of morning caffeine and I have no lingering grogginess either!"

hscolnik (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking seroquel 200mg for years...I am bi polar but I'm manic I don't get depressed. Anyway Doc increased the dose to 400 mg..ok I have anxiety and panic attacks..I also take.buspirone 30mg twice a day...I can't sleep...and when I do its only a couple of hours..I also gained weight and have a little twitch and my hands shake...What do I do..Doctors don't listen to what you say...and put you on a bunch of crap..thanks for listening any impute is welcome"

Kathleengist September 16, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Little side effects. All I got was weight gain, dry mouth, and I slept an awful lot. It did nothing for my psychosis, despite being on 750mg. At 600mg it started to help a little with my mood, but the change wasn't consistent."

K1ttyc4t (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 14, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am into week 2 of taking Seroquel for Bipolar disorder. The main side effects that I am noticing are the feeling about 20 minutes after taking it (makes me feel the same way Trazadone did when I took it for insomnia), and the cloudiness the next day. I have had several situations where something will come up, and I'll recall a conversation or physical activity that I truly think happened, but I cannot determine if I dreamed it or if it really happened. But, I am already noticing a major difference in the way I feel and am able to concentrate and interact while at work, and even with family (in a good way). Since it's only been 2 weeks, of course I am going to give it a little more time."

Chell GH September 13, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on Seroquel XR 25mg (once before bed) for about 6 months now and my life has completely changed for the better. Yeah, the weight gain is a pain but its a small price to pay for normality. Social anxiety / severe insomnia has not been an issue for months!! Am finally myself again. Have tried other antipsychotics but nothing works as well as this one. Only downside is an insatiable appetite - but you can minimize weight gain by substituting with fruits etc, which is what Im currently doing."

vanillacoke (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "After being on this medication for several months, I finally reached a dosage (600mg) that helped. I needed this to calm down my manic state. This being said, I gained close to 20lbs. As a 18 year old girl, this affected my confidence greatly. I was on a vegan diet for 7 months prior to being on this medication, and stayed on the diet while taking it. My weight was stable around 125 for all those months, however upon starting I went up to 145. Not to mention how absolutely exhausted this medication made me. I highly suggest trying to find another medication."

st3619 September 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Quetiapine's great but definitely take it at night otherwise it can cause a twilight type of drowsiness over the day."

psychr (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2016