User Reviews for Quetiapine systemic

Also known as: SEROquel, SEROquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"I went through a lot of recurring trauma and couldn't sleep at night, I'm constantly on hyper arousal and anticipating something. If I don't sleep my symptoms can worsen. At one point they increased my dosage up by another 50mg and I started having nightmares, the Dr decreased my dosage by 50mg over 3 months until I got to 300mg. So while there was a little hiccup, this is probably one of the best medications I have taken."

Jesse (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2018

"This drug works very well for me after combat deployments on the front lines. I take 300mg every night and my mood the next day is much better. I think more clearly and more focused on what I need to do every day."

Rock steady (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2018

"14 years in military so have seen much in my life. I've being taking 2x 400mg a day for around 6 years. Need it everyday, if I don't take it, it's very hard for me to function well. I started with seroquel XR and it was over $1300.00 a month for 60 400mg. At least now there's a cheaper generic version of quetiapine fumarate at almost $400... I copay $3.35..."

Steinmanlee (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2018

"I found a small dose of quetiapine 12.5 mg a day like magic. I feel a different person. Great medicine for PTSD"

Jay (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

"On it for 18 years to permit me to sleep all night. Absolutely necessary for me. If I forget I either don’t fall asleep or wake up in an hour or so and can’t get back to sleep. This is a PTSD lifesaver. VA prescribed and supplied."

Mimor April 26, 2018

"Had PTSD from an incident with police. Had a nervous breakdown. I turned to alcohol in a drastic way, just to pass out and escape or die. I wanted to escape my own brain. Eventually committed myself. I was put on 50 mg of Seroquel in morning, 50 mg in the afternoon, and 400 mg at night. Unfortunately I recently had an even more traumatic incident with police, & the PTSD is back wiith a vengence. I have cirrohosis, and can't take anything now. I am up now, because I woke up from nightmare, my heart was racing. I am not going to fall asleep again. Back to the Seroquel. Best medicine ever. Would risk death just to be able to take it again and feel normal again, but a doctor will never give it to me it with my condition. The doctors can't even find anything I can take. One doctor in the ER was actually googling on his phone to find anything that I could take. Everything is processed through the liver. If you are able I highly recommend it."

Sybil (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

"Never felt as good about life as I do now."

andrewclean49 February 5, 2018

"It works but lightly , I use to take prozac 6 years ago and then nothing for at leat 4 years, after consulting my doctor I decided to try this as for manic depression , but it is not efficiency as you would think it is, the running thoughts, it comes and goes but still strikes.."

Udontwanaknow (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2018

"I got traumatised (PTSD, anxiety, depression) when my boyfriend hung himself in front of me and I got the blame and was made to go to NZ (where it is traditional to stay/sleep next to his body for 5 days straight before the funeral) - and told it was all my fault. I take 50mg which is 2x25mg at night and it relaxes me and makes me around 6-8 hours a night but I smoke Marijuanna as well for my PTSD."

Jade Jacobs December 17, 2017

"I was shot in the neck four years ago, I have Ptsd, depression, anxiety depression with psychosis I have panic attacks to where I don't sleep at all sometimes like 2 days so they prescribe Seroquel to for me and I took it and I had the craziest scariest dream ever in my life I gained like 20 pounds within a two-week. I didn't want to do anything but slept all the time. The medicine just does agree with me so I have to stop taking it - but it's nice to know that is helping others God bless! So I'm still trying to find a peaceful life hopefully I will soon my team of doctors is on it. ....awesome that it works for some, just not me"

Broken trying to get fixed (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2017

"Spent 6 years in the Marine (Iraq 2007) and 7 plus years as a Narcotics agent with law enforcement. I take 25-50 mg at night and I sleep like a baby now. Before, I would sleep approximately 2 hours a night. This pill has helped me and my family life is better now. Definitely recommend for PTSD."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 15, 2017

"I was just put on this medication.. my friends , family and myself noticed a difference.. I am on 25mgs 2 x a day and 100mg at night.. helps me big time .. it helps me big time.. I don't have the heart.beating out of my chest feelings"

Yodagirl April 24, 2017

"I tried this medication to help with PTSD symptoms. This medication works great for me. The main reason why I took it is for rage and dissociation/disconnection from reality, although mainly for major aggression and rage. Unfortunately I had to stop taking it shortly after starting because I feel unsafe on it. I get extremely drowsy and it almost knocks me out although that's not that big of a deal it fades off after 2 hours or so, the main reason is my blood pressure skyrockets, I feel like the room starts spinning and I get dizzy, my face goes numb and I feel tingly and more numb everywhere generally and I get these like jolts inside my body while I try to sleep. When I try to sleep it feels like I'm getting zapped with electricity."

Monroe27 January 9, 2017

"Currently taking 50mg of Seroquel a day. I also want to say that I'm taking 200mg of Zoloft regularly as well as 1mg of Ativan on really bad days. The reason I was prescribed Seroquel ontop of my other meds is mainly because I struggle with extreme rage, disconnection from reality, hypervigilence and paranoia, jumpiness to sounds, etc. A psychiatrist and family doctor both suggested Seroquel for rage, in order to calm down a bit so I'm not going off destroying walls and throwing dehumidifiers, etc. anymore. It works quite well actually.. although the only problem is that it makes me insanely drowsy, I took it for the first time today then passed out for a few hours. Overall good for uncontrollable rage when you get the right dose."

CMan27 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"I have had PTSD since age 9. I am a severe abuse and torture survivor of 14 years of daily abuse and torture. I tried many medications but this one for me is a life saver. I've had so many anxiety attacks (like heart attacks but not fatal) that my heart is covered in scar tissue. Quetiapine (Seroquil), has stopped a lot of my issues and made me calmer. It's extending my life. I'm thankful for that."

Vegon Brei December 3, 2016

"After seven and some odd years as a machine gunner (0331) in the Marine Corps, three deployments, and a purple heart later, i fimd myself very grateful for medications such as seroquel. I am currently prescribed 50mg (1 pill) of seroquel (50mg tablets) a night but usually take take up to 150mg. I will rarely mix it with 400-3200mg (per serv) of gabapentin; Also 20mg of Fluoxotine every morning and 300mg of lithium two tablets a day - quiet the sedating cocktail. Don't necessarily have a specific question - however, i am a veteran and noticed some other on here; so I am curious as to any others experiences with these meds or any like it."

Cpl Gill, USMC RET. 05-12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2016

"I'm a Desert Shield/Desert Storm vet who went through a lot of stuff. Plus, during peacetime I was taken hostage in South America and faced execution. Like a lot of vets, I self-medicated with alcohol. I had done this for many years. One year I went to the VA hospital near me and spoke with a Dr. about the issues I was having. She said I most likely had PTSD. I went through the whole process with the VA to get benefits and they finally saw this as a disability. I was put on an antidepressant, mood stabilizer, prazosin (for nightmares), Xanax (for anxiety), quetiapine 200Mg (for restlessness and hypervigilance).I also take 30Mg of Oxycodone a day for pain related to an injury while in the military.Quetiapine works;be careful with other drugs"

Kitchenfish September 24, 2016

"I'm a Dutch veteran, I've been to Lebanon in '82/'83 and this year after a violent attack in my house, everything was changed and I had aggressive outbursts. After the police came the psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with PTSS. Now I'm using 75/100 quetiapine and it really makes a difference. Instead of almost no sleep, I'm sleaping now 4 to 6 hours a night. I'm a little bith sheaky the few hours in the morning but I can control my moods and thoughts much better now."

Dutch Robert (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"Worked on the symptoms for the most part, felt a lot calmer but sometimes almost brain dead which made University work very difficult. Put me to sleep like a baby though, only problem was, like respiridone, getting up in the morning was extremely hard even if I took it at like 8pm. Side effects were unbearable. I gained over a stone (and I'm only 5 ft 2) in the space of 3-4 months when only on 25mg (bi-daily) despite watching what I ate! I always felt like I was sweaty even in the winter and after climbing 2 flights of stairs and I kept feeling my heart skip a beat. Also worth mentioning, alcohol is a no go, I could only have 1 or 2 drinks before feeling completely out of it. Bottom line: Works but not worth it in my opinion!"

coxysmelons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

"On the plus side, I now feel more comfortable speaking to people. My GP calls it "brain glue." Nice, she could probably use some, ha ha. My previous low thyroid is now hyper thyroid so I have more energy. Previous while awake only panic attacks now also occur in my sleep. This leaves my body exhausted and totally spent. Still somehow I like it."

BlueH2o June 20, 2016

"So I started this yesterday after being on trazadone that wasn't working anymore, I'm on it for ptsd and chronic aniexty. I took my first one last night and it took about 10 mins to fall asleep, I am on 150mg I woke up today and I have never felt so terrible, I felt like a zombie, I could barely string a sentence together. The day went on and I was still feeling terrible with dizzy spells, then I had a major hot flush felt violently sick and could barely stand, I decided to lie day, after what felt like a few seconds I passed out, and was having extremely vivd dreams (very creepy) I woke up a few hours later and felt slightly better, I know it takes a while to get used to them, but I wasn't expecting that, hopefully tommorow won't be as bad"

MLeigh May 3, 2016

"Been on this drug for 2months now for PTSD, anxiety & depression. 1st day took 100mg, got 6hrs sleep & feel drowsy the whole day. Reduced it to 50mg, slept for 6hrs & drowsy only At AM. After a week my sleep lessened to 4hrs. Twered it up to 100mg again. Sometimes I get 6hrs, at times 4hrs or less. It was never a straight sleep. I always get stratles & unable to nap at noon time no matter how sleepy I was. Everytime I get 4hrs or less sleep, I get panic attacks & just feel so tired. Doctor told me to increase it to 125mg. Still get 4-6hrs sleep and palpitations. I paired it with 1/4 rivotril for 5days now & get 8-9hrs. I feel refreshed & energized the whole day. No more panic attacks and palpitations. But with 125mg alone, I'm a zombie!"

Gting (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"Is it effective? yes! I was prescribed it when I was 12 years old and now I can't get off of it at 23 years old. I wish I never was put on it and my parents sought out natural alternatives instead. The withdrawals of even going without it for 18 hours are horrifying and feel like i'm withdrawing for a severe drug. I've tapered myself off from 300 mg to 75 mg but if I go any lower than 75 mg I start to experience tremors, cold sweats, nausea, headaches, insomnia which kicks up my anxiety as well. Don't take this unless its a last alternative."

alllove (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2016

"Hi, I am a veteran of Iraq and have been struggling with PTSD since I got out. I have also bipolar disorder and was thinking about suicide a lot. I will tell you one thing, this medication (forgetting the weight gain) have saved my life! I feel completely normal, of course I am not taking it by itself. I take another mood stabilizer and a antidepressant with it. Right now I take 3 doses of 100 mg daily and I feel normal again!! This medication is just great!"

Airborne Scout (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015

"Horrible I was put on 200 seroquel and now I've been diagnosed with hypotension. I get dizzy all the time it's been three months and I have to go off its that severe this side effect is horrible! Especially for a student not being able to concentrate"

Jazzy jazz October 13, 2015