User Reviews for Quetiapine

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Learn more about Quetiapine.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"I tried this medication to help with PTSD symptoms. This medication works great for me. The main reason why I took it is for rage and dissociation/disconnection from reality, although mainly for major aggression and rage. Unfortunately I had to stop taking it shortly after starting because I feel unsafe on it. I get extremely drowsy and it almost knocks me out although that's not that big of a deal it fades off after 2 hours or so, the main reason is my blood pressure skyrockets, I feel like the room starts spinning and I get dizzy, my face goes numb and I feel tingly and more numb everywhere generally and I get these like jolts inside my body while I try to sleep. When I try to sleep it feels like I'm getting zapped with electricity."

Monroe27 January 9, 2017

"Currently taking 50mg of Seroquel a day. I also want to say that I'm taking 200mg of Zoloft regularly as well as 1mg of Ativan on really bad days. The reason I was prescribed Seroquel ontop of my other meds is mainly because I struggle with extreme rage, disconnection from reality, hypervigilence and paranoia, jumpiness to sounds, etc. A psychiatrist and family doctor both suggested Seroquel for rage, in order to calm down a bit so I'm not going off destroying walls and throwing dehumidifiers, etc. anymore. It works quite well actually.. although the only problem is that it makes me insanely drowsy, I took it for the first time today then passed out for a few hours. Overall good for uncontrollable rage when you get the right dose."

CMan27 (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2017

"I have had PTSD since age 9. I am a severe abuse and torture survivor of 14 years of daily abuse and torture. I tried many medications but this one for me is a life saver. I've had so many anxiety attacks (like heart attacks but not fatal) that my heart is covered in scar tissue. Quetiapine (Seroquil), has stopped a lot of my issues and made me calmer. It's extending my life. I'm thankful for that."

Vegon Brei December 3, 2016

"After seven and some odd years as a machine gunner (0331) in the Marine Corps, three deployments, and a purple heart later, i fimd myself very grateful for medications such as seroquel. I am currently prescribed 50mg (1 pill) of seroquel (50mg tablets) a night but usually take take up to 150mg. I will rarely mix it with 400-3200mg (per serv) of gabapentin; Also 20mg of Fluoxotine every morning and 300mg of lithium two tablets a day - quiet the sedating cocktail. Don't necessarily have a specific question - however, i am a veteran and noticed some other on here; so I am curious as to any others experiences with these meds or any like it."

Cpl Gill, USMC RET. 05-12 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 8, 2016

"I'm a Desert Shield/Desert Storm vet who went through a lot of stuff. Plus, during peacetime I was taken hostage in South America and faced execution. Like a lot of vets, I self-medicated with alcohol. I had done this for many years. One year I went to the VA hospital near me and spoke with a Dr. about the issues I was having. She said I most likely had PTSD. I went through the whole process with the VA to get benefits and they finally saw this as a disability. I was put on an antidepressant, mood stabilizer, prazosin (for nightmares), Xanax (for anxiety), quetiapine 200Mg (for restlessness and hypervigilance).I also take 30Mg of Oxycodone a day for pain related to an injury while in the military.Quetiapine works;be careful with other drugs"

Kitchenfish September 24, 2016

"I'm a Dutch veteran, I've been to Lebanon in '82/'83 and this year after a violent attack in my house, everything was changed and I had aggressive outbursts. After the police came the psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with PTSS. Now I'm using 75/100 quetiapine and it really makes a difference. Instead of almost no sleep, I'm sleaping now 4 to 6 hours a night. I'm a little bith sheaky the few hours in the morning but I can control my moods and thoughts much better now."

Dutch Robert (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"Worked on the symptoms for the most part, felt a lot calmer but sometimes almost brain dead which made University work very difficult. Put me to sleep like a baby though, only problem was, like respiridone, getting up in the morning was extremely hard even if I took it at like 8pm. Side effects were unbearable. I gained over a stone (and I'm only 5 ft 2) in the space of 3-4 months when only on 25mg (bi-daily) despite watching what I ate! I always felt like I was sweaty even in the winter and after climbing 2 flights of stairs and I kept feeling my heart skip a beat. Also worth mentioning, alcohol is a no go, I could only have 1 or 2 drinks before feeling completely out of it. Bottom line: Works but not worth it in my opinion!"

coxysmelons (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

"On the plus side, I now feel more comfortable speaking to people. My GP calls it "brain glue." Nice, she could probably use some, ha ha. My previous low thyroid is now hyper thyroid so I have more energy. Previous while awake only panic attacks now also occur in my sleep. This leaves my body exhausted and totally spent. Still somehow I like it."

BlueH2o June 20, 2016

"So I started this yesterday after being on trazadone that wasn't working anymore, I'm on it for ptsd and chronic aniexty. I took my first one last night and it took about 10 mins to fall asleep, I am on 150mg I woke up today and I have never felt so terrible, I felt like a zombie, I could barely string a sentence together. The day went on and I was still feeling terrible with dizzy spells, then I had a major hot flush felt violently sick and could barely stand, I decided to lie day, after what felt like a few seconds I passed out, and was having extremely vivd dreams (very creepy) I woke up a few hours later and felt slightly better, I know it takes a while to get used to them, but I wasn't expecting that, hopefully tommorow won't be as bad"

MLeigh May 3, 2016

"Been on this drug for 2months now for PTSD, anxiety & depression. 1st day took 100mg, got 6hrs sleep & feel drowsy the whole day. Reduced it to 50mg, slept for 6hrs & drowsy only At AM. After a week my sleep lessened to 4hrs. Twered it up to 100mg again. Sometimes I get 6hrs, at times 4hrs or less. It was never a straight sleep. I always get stratles & unable to nap at noon time no matter how sleepy I was. Everytime I get 4hrs or less sleep, I get panic attacks & just feel so tired. Doctor told me to increase it to 125mg. Still get 4-6hrs sleep and palpitations. I paired it with 1/4 rivotril for 5days now & get 8-9hrs. I feel refreshed & energized the whole day. No more panic attacks and palpitations. But with 125mg alone, I'm a zombie!"

Gting (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

"Is it effective? yes! I was prescribed it when I was 12 years old and now I can't get off of it at 23 years old. I wish I never was put on it and my parents sought out natural alternatives instead. The withdrawals of even going without it for 18 hours are horrifying and feel like i'm withdrawing for a severe drug. I've tapered myself off from 300 mg to 75 mg but if I go any lower than 75 mg I start to experience tremors, cold sweats, nausea, headaches, insomnia which kicks up my anxiety as well. Don't take this unless its a last alternative."

alllove (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2016

"Hi, I am a veteran of Iraq and have been struggling with PTSD since I got out. I have also bipolar disorder and was thinking about suicide a lot. I will tell you one thing, this medication (forgetting the weight gain) have saved my life! I feel completely normal, of course I am not taking it by itself. I take another mood stabilizer and a antidepressant with it. Right now I take 3 doses of 100 mg daily and I feel normal again!! This medication is just great!"

Airborne Scout (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015

"Horrible I was put on 200 seroquel and now I've been diagnosed with hypotension. I get dizzy all the time it's been three months and I have to go off its that severe this side effect is horrible! Especially for a student not being able to concentrate"

Jazzy jazz October 13, 2015

"I experienced a major traumatic event that resulted in the loss of my 4 year old daughter and almost the loss of my own life with permanent organ damage. In the hospital, I was started on high doses of lorazepam which did nothing. When I returned home I deteriorated fast and the PTSD symptoms increased. Anyone who has PTSD can tell you it's completely paralyzing. I was taken to the emergency room and given Seroquel to take 25mg in the morning and 50mg before bedtime. This medicine honestly saved my life. I was able to make it through her funeral and some very hard times. It's been 1 1/2 years and with therapy I've been able to taper down to 12.5mg at bedtime. This dose easily puts me to sleep and has a calming effect."

Sophia10 September 19, 2015

"I was a recon marine 1989/1999 and saw action in Kuwait, Somalia and Bosnia. I came home and self medicated with alcohol to escape the mental strains of what I had to do there. After marrying my wife, and enjoying what I thought what a normal retired Marine life was, she realized I had a problem. After getting me to commit to a mental health regiment , the doctor prescribed Serequel. With a 100mg starting dose, twice a day, the drinking that I've been doing for 10 years every night stopped completely. I'm now Taking 300 milligrams 2 times a day and have no ill effects. To the contrary, my dreams are so peaceful that I can't wait to lay down and go to sleep. I have experienced the herky jerky muscle movements at times when I walk, but not"

devildog43 July 21, 2015

"Seroquel XR has relieved much of my daytime anxiety, and all of my night time panics, and my panic upon waking. I will add that this is in conjunction with minipress am/noon/night, and hydroxyzine."

ScottieP July 5, 2015

"I have only just begun a week ago 25mg to start. So far the worst of my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder symptoms: panic upon waking, has subsided. Increasing dose tomorrow as still anxious through the day."

Can't find name not in use (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2015

"Vietnam, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) went FUBAR 15 years ago. That's the first time I contacted the VA or even heard of PTSD. One severe symptom was inability to sleep. VA was very slow to give me an appointment so I went to a private shrink who got me on Seroquel. VA has kept me on it since. Taking this, I have been able to get a good night's sleep every night since. Since then and to this date, if I forget to take it, I either can't fall asleep at all or doze off for about 45 min, then wake up wide awake, and can't get back to sleep . The FDA hasn't approved this for PTSD sleep disorders, but should do so immediately. I've had no side effects whatsoever, unlike many other medicines I've been on/off for PTSD."

LZ Bronco (taken for 10 years or more) July 5, 2014

"I went to a psychiatrist last week for post traumatic stress disorder having been diagnosed by the VA when I retired. I was put on 50 mg quetiapine. While in two days my lifetime nail biting ceased and I feel less anxious I am tired as heck."

SGM June 22, 2014

"50 mg a night & I can sleep through the night. As soon as I skip a dose my panic comes right back. The only downside is I'm tired all day from it but unable to nap."

BrianaG May 30, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): "Felt like I was in a chemical straight jacket."

sparkymarky (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2012

"Various incidents in Viet Nam combat, intel work of over two decades slowly became an affect on sleep. The use of therapies, 12 steps, counseling all left something still not quite right. When an enlightened physician in the VAMC psych ward dosed Seroquel at 100 mg three daily, first sleep in 30 yrs. At 200 mg nightly, no more dreams of conflict, resulting in a life saved, a definite sleep within 45 min., usually six to eight hours. Waking easily, up for a happy day every day."

BeachD1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): "300 mg 4x/day. I used to have horrible hyper-vigilance, hyper-startle, anxiety, paranoia, insomnia symptoms. NOTHING (meditation, yoga, EMDR, etc.) helped that much, let alone fix it. So, the doctor said to try this. Because of my side-effect sensitivity, my doctor started me on 25 mg. That first night, I slept a full night for the first time in months. But then I started sleeping too much - up to 14 hrs a day on the weekends. We backed off to 12.5 mg & my life CHANGED. I'm under more stress right now so my dose is back to 25 mg & I'm doing great on it. It pulls me down out of that watchfulness that prevents me from doing anything but surviving (and poorly, at that). For me, after a near-lifetime of struggle, this is a miracle."

DylanS (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2012

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "Within three days basically all my anxiety is gone, and I feel fantastic! FINALLY a doctor and psychologist worked together to treat what they said "unique" problem. I had anxiety all the time but wasn't depressed. So I'm one happy lady, and I'm sure my kids are loving there old mum back."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2012

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): "A little tired some mornings which can occasionally last during the day. As a medicine, it is amazing, makes me strong mentally and relaxed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2012