User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Sam April 28, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “10 years ago, while in college, I had a marijuana induced psychosis (didn't know this was possible) & wound up in the ER. Don't remember 95% of events but apparently I thought the hospital staff was trying to kill me, was uncooperative & pulling IVs out of my arm. They had an officer restrain me & he decided it was a good idea to tase me in the head. I fell down and suffered a fractured skull, concussion & the next day my nightmare began. I developed PTSD, couldn't sleep, panic attacks, hyper-vigilance etc. I was close to ending my life when I found a $300/hr Psych. who started me on Seroquel immediately. Within 24hrs I felt almost as good as before the incident happened. I was on it for a year and stopped as the doc told me I could stop if I didn't have any psychoses in that time. Very grateful for that doc and Seroquel. Everyone should have medical care like I found regardless of their ability to pay $300/hr; fortunately my parents could afford it.”

Jp · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2020

“I have a history with this medication quetiapine, on and off for about the last twelve years. I just recently started taking it again about 2 days ago. 150 mg every night.”

Eileen Wornos · Taken for 10 years or more March 17, 2020

“I have been taking Seroquel for approx 10 years. I have gone through doses from 25mg to 500mg. I am now on 350mg for about 2 years now. 500mg made me sleep a 9 hour nite plus about 3 hours of naps every day. Also, as I got into my 40’s, 500 mg started giving me heart palpitations, scary enough that one time I thought I was going to die and had my adult son sit on my bed and hold my hand because I got scared I was going to die. I went down to 350 mg and it doesn’t give me that effect. Part of schitzoaffective is the inability to have relationships. The Seroquel doesn’t seem to help with this, or the inability to care about much. But it does help with paranoid delusions, and depression. I basically go around emotionally flat. But if you spent all of your pre medication life crying, scared and suicidal, feeling flat is a relief. I am Canadian and disabled (only working part time at minimum wage) so my meds are $0.”

Redfoxy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2020

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “Hello, I have been taking seroquel XR for just over a year now, started with 25mgs dose, now up to 200mgs dose. I found that my thoughts are controllable, relatively a good sleeping aid. Just be careful not to eat after an hour or so of taking certain brands of this medication. Seroquel XR blue/white pack 100mgs makes anything hard to swallow even water. Best to go straight to bed. Would like to try managing my own emotions and thoughts one day without medication. I hope for everyone who struggles. Thank you and good luck!”

Druger February 15, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel knocked me out so bad that I slept 18 hours... the heavy sedation effect does go away though. It did not help at all with my schizophrenia. But it did make me put on a lot of weight. Altogether, antipsychotics have made me put on a ton of weight. I've tried many of them. And I used to weigh 160 pounds and now am 220... so far that's all these drugs have done to me, they should be called fat pills.”

TyTy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 26, 2020

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “I was on Seroquel XR 300mg for a year. It worked for the most part but the sleepiness during the day was just to much for me. I gained 83 pounds and developed NA-Fatty Liver Disease from it. Can’t say I would recommend this medication.”

Jacob S. · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I take 400mg fast acting seroquel for bed and it knocks me out in about forty-five minutes. Sure beats laying awake all night overthinking things. I don't know what I'd do without it, probably stay up for several days and have another manic episode. The regular seroquel works better for me as the extended release just turned me into a brainless zombie.”

storm0224 November 20, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have schizoaffective disorder and manic episodes and seroquel has helped me soo much. I'm more calm I eat better sleep better the only downside is when I do have episodes they are full blown but its better than the everyday I was experiencing”

IllumiFox · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2019

“Well this time I am technically using seroquel 50mg for sleep issues though it does help with my schizoaffective as well. When I first tried this years ago I slept for 23 hours after one 50 mg pill then felt like a zombie for 2 days after. This time I slept for about 12 hours and now I just feel really relaxed like I took a muscle relaxer and I don't feel stressed out anymore about the road workers ripping up our road outside - the reason I have had trouble sleeping the last 3 weeks. Finally got some good sleep. I also want to say for all the people using this and saying it makes them hungry. I actually ate dinner before taken the pill and so I didn't have the issue of feeling hungry after taken it. So try to eat something that is filling before taken the pill and it might help to deal with the hunger issue. Just a suggestion I know everyone is different on medication.”

JoSo · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 16, 2018

“Been taking Seroquel XR for about 8 years for severe insomnia and schizoaffective disorder. It's great for sleep but I've put on about 50 lbs. since starting. Currently trying to titrate off of it and I'm down to 50mg. I do workout 3 times a week, so I'm not gaining but I'm not losing weight either. I'm not a fitness God but I've been pretty active all my life and skinny, so being 50 lbs. overweight is a dealbreaker for me. I want to have my knees & hips functioning in old age, can't do that when I'm lugging extra weight around that's crushing my knees. There's just too many negative physical symptoms that my pdoc doesn't care to address that affect quality-of-life.”

Timtam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “This stuff ruined my life. This is poison. Worst thing that ever happened to me and I've been through some pretty awful abuse.”

K1998 · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I was on a number of medications. For hallucination (both tactile and visual as well as auditory) I’m dealing with more of the schizophrenia part. I been diagnosed a year now. I been on ability, respridal, zyprexa. And nothing until seroquel. I am completely calmed down and feel much better. Really sleep and very hungry. Restless legs and arms but all around a good medication.”

Monica · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 22, 2018

“I took quetiapine for several years, 800mg. It worked well for me with controlling my symptoms. I did gain A LOT of weight while taking it. I continued gaining weight the entire time I took it. It also caused my heart to feel like it was going to beat out of my chest. My psychiatrist and I decided to start ramping me down while starting me on Vraylar. I've only been completely off the quetiapine for one day. If not for the massive weight gain I would have stayed on it.”

Eli Johnson · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “I am a male and I have been using seroquel for 17 years. I started with 25mg seroquel per day and then got up to seroquel xr 800mg per day. I have gained 10lbs or less in 17 years. I have experienced side effects and developed true gynecomastia that can only be removed through surgery that isn't covered by insurance. My prescribing doctor says I am too skinny and need to gain weight. My other doctor says I have gynecomastia that is noticeable when I take off my shirt. My doctor recommended that I get tested for male breast cancer and insurance covered the ultrasound and mammogram but because the gynecomastia isn't cancerous it's not covered by insurance. I don't recommend because I developed breast growth and breast pain while on it. I can't wear t shirts because people noticed my breast growth and feel the need to mention it in front of me”

TJGR · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2018

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “Unfortunately I have no idea what is wrong with me, but what I know is that Seroquel works great for me. I suffer from severe mood swings, mild psychosis, Generalised Anxiety, and have experienced mild religious auditory hallucinations. I switch dosages pretty often due to my mood swings because if I am manic I need more, and if I am depressed I need less because Seroquel works as a major sedative to kick mania and when I am depressed sedation is a con because it makes me more depressed. In general it does work but I am really sad that I have to take prescription medication in order to be normal.”

Neuromancer · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): “All began well and I was on a small dose for a while. Then I had a relapse and we upped the dosage. Then I started awful side effects every night after taking it! Then my Mum came to stay and said "It's the medication." So I called my shrink and asked to go off it and he said OK- no more side effects!”

BlaqueCynderella · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 28, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “I have been taken it for five years. Major difference. Only things is my weight.and eating and drinking while I was sleeping.”

dynamiterocket · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel did not work for me (this is NOT to say it may work for you, because everyone's biochemistry is different). It caused me to sleep 16 hours a day or more on a extremely low dose (75 mg), and over 2 weeks caused me to auditory hallucinate and creepy or hellish nightmares (worse than my normal ones). Over time it actually caused anxiety instead of reducing it. Hope you have a better time with Seroquel than me!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 28, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): “If you have a mixed diagnostic, bipolar I or II, with traces of schizophrenia, seroquel acts as a good 'sidekick' to medications such as risperdal and zyprexa and abilify.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 27, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I was prescribed 800 seroquel for my therapeutic dosage. Many years later, I decided with my pdoc to try 600. I felt more balanced, more centered and attuned - with the same effectiveness of the med. Later, while in a combination of other meds, I took the courage to play around with 300/400 mgs. of XR, and, to my surprise, I still got a precise dosage - no racing thoughts, sound sleep, no anxiety, much attenuated paranoia, and an awesome anti-depressant effect with half of the original 800.”

Johnson Zen August 16, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “I have been taking Seroquel XR 800mg for almost 11 years. Before this I was taking low dose regular Seroquel for many years. It really helps me manage my schizoaffective disorder. I am also taking a doctors prescribed antihistamine hydroxyzine 50mg because I get hives while on seroquel XR. I have noticed male breast growth and hard glandular breast tissue build up under my breast during this year. I am also experincing breast pain. I am on a calorie restricted diet and have been exercising and lifting weights regularly for the past 10 years and have gained 5lbs to 10lbs in weight. I have low body fat and can do 70 push ups in a row easily so its not body fat.”

mhadvocate June 4, 2017

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “My family member has been on the brand name Seroquel XR since 2009. When Accord Healthcare came out with their generic version in Nov 2016, she had to get the generic in Jan. 2017 until she could get approved for the AZ & Me PAP. I can tell you that the generic does not have the same efficacy as the brand name as she started experiencing symptoms on Accord's generic. Now we find out that Astra Zeneca will no longer have the PAP after Dec. 2017. They did a good job of marketing their product and it has helped many patients manage their symptoms. However, if the generic versions don't have the same efficacy, thousands of patients risk decompensation and symptoms. Accord even has the nerve to charge over 1300 per month for their med.”

BrockyBear · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I've been on this medication for 5-6 years now on a large dose of 800mh a night! It's the only medication that has worked for me. Sleep slot but my big main problem is weight gain! I went from 65kg up to 122kg in the years of taking it! I keep active and have a terrific diet I just can't seem to loose any weight so for me I'm at a place of wondering if I should swap for something else and risk it. Fat and happy or thin and crazy?”

sin47 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 23, 2016

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “Hi I'm taking seroquel XR 400mg.it all started last winter with my psychosis episode. I went a bit manic,anexity,depression.wont get into details. I went in mental hospital for 2 months,there is where i started taking seroquel. to be honest 1st 2 weeks i have been vomiting every single night,had dizzines so hard that I had to hold walls while walking down the hallway.Its fine because at that point I didn't know if its just a bad dream or reality.after period of let's say 2 months I got much better.still i was feeling like my emotions, vocabularity, thought's was really in bad condition. as time passes I got used to it (im using it for 10months now.) DONT DO COLD TURKEY!!!”

K1ttyc4t · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 14, 2016

“Little side effects. All I got was weight gain, dry mouth, and I slept an awful lot. It did nothing for my psychosis, despite being on 750mg. At 600mg it started to help a little with my mood, but the change wasn't consistent.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)