User Reviews for Quetiapine to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Also known as: Seroquel, Seroquel XR

Quetiapine has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings for the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder. 53% of those users who reviewed Quetiapine reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Quetiapine Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Quetiapine

Britney Michele · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 22, 2021

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel works”

Jersey girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 21, 2021

“At first Quetiapine took some dosage adjustments. It works great. I sleep so well now. My hallucinations are at a minimum now. When it gets bad I take 25 mg during the day which levels me out. I take 350 mg at night.”

Bunny · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 19, 2021

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I started seroquel when I was 13 after 7 years of talking to people who weren't there. I'm 18 now. I heard it's not possible to need this at that age but here I am. I think at first I was kinda empty, didn't talk, kinda a vegetable. Took about a while to get used to, maybe a week, then I remember completely losing it and attacking my brother and also feeling suicidal, but I didn't stop taking it when I was put in inpatient. Then everything got better, now I still hear and see things but only specific things and I talk to people more even though I have social anxiety. So it didn't really work for my hallucinations just maybe depression and anxiety.”

Matt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel saved my life. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder at 16 ( I'm 18 now) and I’ve tried almost all second-generation antipsychotics since I was 13. ALL made me experience horrid side effects (extrapyramidal effects, paranoia, vomiting, emotionally flat). Seroquel within 2 days of taking it helped me feel relatively normal...with NO akathisia/extrapyramidal effects. I can sleep, I don’t feel anywhere as paranoid, the delusions have significantly decreased. The only thing that is a little funky is the hunger, but I can manage that. This drug has helped me live a normal life. I’m at 300mg now and this is my safe spot. For anyone considering this medication, go for it. It’s the only antipsychotic that has not made me crawl out of my skin and “die” mentally. Genuinely a wonderful drug.”

Sam April 28, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “10 years ago, while in college, I had a marijuana induced psychosis (didn't know this was possible) & wound up in the ER. Don't remember 95% of events but apparently I thought the hospital staff was trying to kill me, was uncooperative & pulling IVs out of my arm. They had an officer restrain me & he decided it was a good idea to tase me in the head. I fell down and suffered a fractured skull, concussion & the next day my nightmare began. I developed PTSD, couldn't sleep, panic attacks, hyper-vigilance etc. I was close to ending my life when I found a $300/hr Psych. who started me on Seroquel immediately. Within 24hrs I felt almost as good as before the incident happened. I was on it for a year and stopped as the doc told me I could stop if I didn't have any psychoses in that time. Very grateful for that doc and Seroquel. Everyone should have medical care like I found regardless of their ability to pay $300/hr; fortunately my parents could afford it.”

lipelips · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 12, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “My experience with quetiapine is amazingly positive. I tried, invega (that was bad) with unsuccessful results. I take Queatipine at a dose of 50mg at night and it makes me so much more relaxed and without any kind of bad feelings or thoughts. If you wanna be healthy and active during your days, this drug is highly recommended. In my case is used during night before sleep. It works!”

Druger February 15, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel knocked me out so bad that I slept 18 hours... the heavy sedation effect does go away though. It did not help at all with my schizophrenia. But it did make me put on a lot of weight. Altogether, antipsychotics have made me put on a ton of weight. I've tried many of them. And I used to weigh 160 pounds and now am 220... so far that's all these drugs have done to me, they should be called fat pills.”

Jacob S. · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I take 400mg fast acting seroquel for bed and it knocks me out in about forty-five minutes. Sure beats laying awake all night overthinking things. I don't know what I'd do without it, probably stay up for several days and have another manic episode. The regular seroquel works better for me as the extended release just turned me into a brainless zombie.”

Patient#139 · Taken for 10 years or more January 3, 2021

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have been on Seroquel 600 mg a day for over 15 years. During that time, the drug has been effective. However, towards the end of 2020, I decided to have my eyes checked for the first time. I was having some farsightedness in my left eye. I am 37 years old and I have never had eye problems. Never been to an eye doctor. The doctor told me I had a cataract which is unusual for my age. She was baffled. It wasn’t until later that I learned that cataracts are a rare side effect of seroquel. Not only that, Seroquel increased my AST/ liver enzymes and decreased my T4 levels, both rare side effects. It is even possible that it has contributed to my acid reflux. The herculean effort is tapering off this medication while being able to sleep. I can’t give this drug a high score because of the problems it has caused and the extreme difficulty of getting off of it. The drug has been very effective, but that has come at a high price. I can’t get off Seroquel fast enough.”

Bruce October 15, 2020

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I started this drug at age 19 when I was first diagnosed with schizotypal personality disorder and been taking it for 5 years. I haven’t noticed any positive changes at first since you have to give the drug couple of weeks to kick in. When it did kicked in, this drug changed my life. I was more positive, outgoing and overall in the elevated state of mind. The only downside to this drug was weight gain and too much sleep time. I’d still keep taking but it stopped working for me. Now I just feel really horrible on it. Definitely give this drug a try though.”

storm0224 November 20, 2019

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have schizoaffective disorder and manic episodes and seroquel has helped me soo much. I'm more calm I eat better sleep better the only downside is when I do have episodes they are full blown but its better than the everyday I was experiencing”

Anonj26 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): “This drug worked perfectly. It controlled all my symptoms, paranoia, visual and auditory hallucinations, tactile hallucinations and anxiety. Absolutely no weight gain. I lost 30 pounds on this medication and could not be happier that I tried the drug. It also works excellently for people with eating disorders, controlling their cravings and regulating their eating patterns. There were no sexual side effects. I never relapsed when I went off the medication with the help of my psychiatrist. Thank you makers of seroquel!”

Krazi165 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 21, 2014

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Don't worry about weight gain! I've taken Seroquel for two years, and let me tell you you can stay fit and or lose weight! The hardest is the munchies at night, but if you can control that and or snack healthy you will be FINE. You don't have to have a strict diet on this medication. Exercise and eat healthy as much as you can. You can still enjoy giving into cravings! You have to adjust to the major hunger especially at night. See what works for you. This medicine is amazing and works very well. Just give it a chance. After two years I have not gained any weight but have actually lost since I began taking it. It's a little hard at first but once you figure out what works for you you'll have a happy life emotionally and physically!”

SeroquelBroughtMeBack · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2013

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I've suffered from bipolar and psychosis as early as 6th grade. It took about 15 years to get seen, by that time I was completely detached from reality. After trying expensive placebos with bad side effects and high hype, I tried Seroquel. It works on the psychosis, mania and depression I've experienced in trade for being a little sleepy. Seroquel is so far the only medication that works by itself & which I can function even after missing a dose (not recommended). It's all about risk versus controlling symptoms with these medications. If you've found something effective for treating the symptoms, the next step is finding the cause. This illness is like a sleeping dragon, you must keep it asleep or you'll get burned, Seroquel helps.”

BrockyBear · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 18, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I've been on this medication for 5-6 years now on a large dose of 800mh a night! It's the only medication that has worked for me. Sleep slot but my big main problem is weight gain! I went from 65kg up to 122kg in the years of taking it! I keep active and have a terrific diet I just can't seem to loose any weight so for me I'm at a place of wondering if I should swap for something else and risk it. Fat and happy or thin and crazy?”

Redfoxy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2020

Seroquel XR (quetiapine): “Hello, I have been taking seroquel XR for just over a year now, started with 25mgs dose, now up to 200mgs dose. I found that my thoughts are controllable, relatively a good sleeping aid. Just be careful not to eat after an hour or so of taking certain brands of this medication. Seroquel XR blue/white pack 100mgs makes anything hard to swallow even water. Best to go straight to bed. Would like to try managing my own emotions and thoughts one day without medication. I hope for everyone who struggles. Thank you and good luck!”

K1998 · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2018

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I was on a number of medications. For hallucination (both tactile and visual as well as auditory) I’m dealing with more of the schizophrenia part. I been diagnosed a year now. I been on ability, respridal, zyprexa. And nothing until seroquel. I am completely calmed down and feel much better. Really sleep and very hungry. Restless legs and arms but all around a good medication.”

JR · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2020

“I got switched to this med after having extrapyramidal side effects on saphris. My motivation, especially in the morning is VERY low. I can't hold a job that starts early in the morning. Often times throughout the day, I don't know what to do with myself or what I should be striving for. I have much less output most days in terms of activity, speech, and overall communication, probably tied to not knowing what the hell I want. I upped my dose to 200mg from 150mg and the following nights, I woke up with a delusional thought, which was pretty scary. It's as hard as being psychotic to make up my mind on 150mg. I haven't experienced weight gain, but I also eat 800-1,200 cals/day”

Stphy February 16, 2016

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have been on a lot of them and I'm now on 300 mg Seroquel it is the best , I have not gained weight but I exercise I take it at night. I don't see things, I feel things touching me but I still have one voice and not 4 in my head .”

Eileen Wornos · Taken for 10 years or more March 17, 2020

“I have been taking Seroquel for approx 10 years. I have gone through doses from 25mg to 500mg. I am now on 350mg for about 2 years now. 500mg made me sleep a 9 hour nite plus about 3 hours of naps every day. Also, as I got into my 40’s, 500 mg started giving me heart palpitations, scary enough that one time I thought I was going to die and had my adult son sit on my bed and hold my hand because I got scared I was going to die. I went down to 350 mg and it doesn’t give me that effect. Part of schitzoaffective is the inability to have relationships. The Seroquel doesn’t seem to help with this, or the inability to care about much. But it does help with paranoid delusions, and depression. I basically go around emotionally flat. But if you spent all of your pre medication life crying, scared and suicidal, feeling flat is a relief. I am Canadian and disabled (only working part time at minimum wage) so my meds are $0.”

Wyndrake March 31, 2011

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have been treated for Schizoaffective Disorder and Bipolar 1 since 1998. I have been on many medicines and combinations of medicines. In 2006 I had been off medicines for about a year when I went into psychosis and extremely manic - I was not sleeping and could not relax. The hallucinations and delusions were troubling. I was given Seroquel and on the FIRST NIGHT I slept and slept very well for the first time in months. I woke up with a clear head and was not confused about who or where I was. I did not get the zombie feeling but I was very tired all the time - taking Seroquel 4 times a day. When my dose and frequency were reduced the sleepiness went away. (I take it just at bedtime now). I didn't get weight gain from it. Seroquel was my miracle medicine.”

Mom of 2 Schizoaffective September 16, 2013

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have been on Seroquel for several years, mixed with other medicines. Recently tried reducing strength but couldn't sleep or concentrate due to racing thoughts. Keeps me normal (as "normal" as anyone else). Also take Lamictal for mood-stabilizer/anti-depressant and Citalopram for anxiety/depression. Does make me very sleepy so I must take it before 9 pm to feel awake enough to function at 6:30 am Life-saver for me and my family.”

gtbaker January 18, 2013

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I take Seroquel for schizo-affective disorder. I also take Prolixin in addition to that and an anti-depressant. I have had schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder for about 4 years now. The reason I name both schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder is because I go in and out of delusions that seem very real, but I have discerned to just brush most of them off as normal things I interpret as conspiracies or straight out someone wishing me to be dead. It can be fairly scary but it has made me much stronger and now I still constantly get the voices but no longer do I go months, day after day, of thinking someone out there has it in for me or other delusions. Seroquel, in my opinion has made me much less paranoid.”

headdy20 April 27, 2015

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I take seroquel and have taken higher doses when I was heavier at 300 lbs I was taking 900mg and my new doc cannot believe my psychiatrist was prescribing me that high of a dose just to help me sleep. Once I had weight loss surgery I could only handle about 150mg I am up to 300mg. The thing I like best about seroquel is it will knock you out and you will get good sleep. Now occasionally I have taken one and a half pills if I want to fall asleep quicker but you really have to be careful with this drug because many things can happen. The side effects I've experienced mainly is trouble swallowing which scares me to death when I'm trying to sleep and I'm panicking & my heartbeats racing yet I can't swallow. So be very careful with dosages.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 27, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I was prescribed 800 seroquel for my therapeutic dosage. Many years later, I decided with my pdoc to try 600. I felt more balanced, more centered and attuned - with the same effectiveness of the med. Later, while in a combination of other meds, I took the courage to play around with 300/400 mgs. of XR, and, to my surprise, I still got a precise dosage - no racing thoughts, sound sleep, no anxiety, much attenuated paranoia, and an awesome anti-depressant effect with half of the original 800.”

Anonymous April 26, 2009

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I was put on Celexa, Depakote, and Seroquel when I was a month into being 13 years old. I was fine for a week then the voices returned with a vengeance, much worse and far more taunting and tormenting than ever before (or since). I became a zombie, unable to communicate the problems to my doctor or family. In addition, when I described problems to my doctor he insisted Seroquel didn't cause those effects. Drowsiness, craving sugar, problems with walking and balance, and becoming a far more ill person than I was when I began the medication. I gained 60 lbs in three months. When I stopped Seroquel, I returned to "base sanity". My weight returned to normal.”

Anonymous January 30, 2012

Seroquel (quetiapine): “I have been taking 200 mg of Seroquel now for about 4 years for schizoaffective disorder. I love this medicine, especially after trying Abilify and Risperdal, which made me lethargic and apathetic towards everything. It has also helped with my borderline personality and generalized anxiety disorders.”

dynamiterocket · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2017

Seroquel (quetiapine): “Seroquel did not work for me (this is NOT to say it may work for you, because everyone's biochemistry is different). It caused me to sleep 16 hours a day or more on a extremely low dose (75 mg), and over 2 weeks caused me to auditory hallucinate and creepy or hellish nightmares (worse than my normal ones). Over time it actually caused anxiety instead of reducing it. Hope you have a better time with Seroquel than me!”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder