User Reviews for Invega

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Invega.

Invega Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Invega to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

"I am a victim of bad diagnosis my brain scan has revealed a normal brain I have suffered from concussion which has led to irritable behaviour nothing else. My medical practioner is not honest as I am 62 years old and this drug is not indicated for my age I have had differences with my family and disputes in property which has led to unethical relations to force this treatment on me. It's voluntary to go to psychiatric institutions but I have been forced into it. In the past I was treated with clozapine which led to tumors in my stomach and bone pain. I have also been treated with olanzapine which caused insulin resistant diabetes I have treated side effects with citrus peels and high doses of vitamins for diabetes and tibetan medicine for tumors"

Shunnu (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine helps in curing the voices and delusional thoughts that sometimes come with schizoaffective disorders.But the worst side of this medication is complete weight gain. I went from size 2 to 14. It also makes your boobs grow bigger and stops the menstrual periods.The drug stays in the system for a long period of time. I stopped it in May and it’s been 5 months but I keep on gaining weight and boobs keep getting bigger and bigger. Worst medication ever! I have to deal with the weight gain and this causes a lot of insecurities especially for a lady! But the doctor told me that it gradually comes out of the system with time. So still hoping that my life will get back to normal with time."

Santinop (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had only my first 2 shots, my last shot being June 23rd 2017, which was the day I was released from the psych ward, I decided that I wanted to see how I was going to do without the drugs and see how I am, my first shot was the week before, I didn't even tell them I was hearing voices because I was at awe that I was and wanted to keep that to myself, I believe I was only hearing them for about 4 weeks but I can't really say, even though I was experiencing many new things mentally, physically and emotionally, even before the voices, I would have rather felt that and heard voices, which I don't hear anymore than to feel how I am now...literally zero emotions, don't get pleasure for anything, don't feel anything I mean anything"

Momogus October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although it helped with my delusional thoughts, it completely destroyed my life. I have anhedonia, loss of sex drive, fatigue, can't play football or any sports, my mind is blank, 40 kg weight gain, always hungry, can't get drunk. Feeling down sometimes. Robbed every joy from me."

askata (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I knew within 48 hours that this drug was a game-changer. I had been in a 5-year-long depression, sleeping 18-20 hours a day, obese, no writing, no reading. Invega gave me a life. Granted, there is that yucky weight gain--but with Invega I actually have the energy to go to the gym 4.5 hours a week so it's (s-l-o-w-l-y) coming off. I can read and write, manage a routine, etc. Granted, there are some times when I get a little muddled, but it's now in the range of "take a deep breath and start again" as opposed to catastrophic. There might be another drug out there with less severe weight gain, but I wouldn't trade how I mentally feel now for anything. I'll always be fluffy, but I'm happy. That's a fair trade any day!"

PhysicsRocks (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My son just got injected with invega. I pray this is going to work for him. I want him to have a normal life and desire life again. He is also taking lamictal this is also new for him. I hope this convo works for him. He is 26 years old and new with all this. Just got diagnosed with bipolar mania. :("

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Causes really dark thoughts."

Scoott (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking 6 mg Invega for 3 years, I asked my physician what was making me gain so much weight....He told me it was the Invega and suggested I stop taking it...So I stopped taking it the next day! That was horrible advise (to quit cold-turkey) but I lost 40 pounds in 2 months. I kept the weight off until I developed psychosis/delusional thinking...After about 6 months and a suicide attempt I am back on it but shots only. Within 2 months I gained the 40 pounds back and gained an additional 40 lbs, making it a total of 80 lbs gained. Time for something else! I am in pain from bad knees & can hardly walk, now....Great mood helper but terrible on the body!"

Michael T April 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Exceedingly dry mouth causing broken sleep and frequent drinks, blood sugar ebbs and reduced stamina, encourages me to eat up to five times a day. Osteoarthritis worsens with the dryness however mentally stable. Wary of this drug being only a stop gap and apprehensive what's next on the medication menu as all have unbearable side effects."

Whoh March 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine wrecked me. I had a drug induced psychosis, they had no business putting me on this. The only positive is that it did snap me back into reality, but some clean time would have done that. I have gained weight all in my stomach, I developed akathisia that lasted 2 months after discontinuing. Also extreme anhedonia which can persist for up to a year. I hope I return to normal way before that. Please only attempt this med if you don't know which way is up."

copperdome February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Shaking of the legs and the tongue. TardiVe dyskinesia developed. Wasn't told about the side effects of Invega before taking the drug."

Cheryl2464 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this medication is weird. you can be doing really well and be normal and then all of a sudden you get a manic episode or psychotic episode out of nowhere when you were normal like 2 days ago. It doesn't help you sleep although it's good because it didn't stop me from waking up in the morning. I was able to go to for my morning class as I was waking up at 5:30am. Although couldn't concentrate in class and I never cooked. from what I remember I was doing better on risperdal although I was more out of it and way more paranoid and it was really scary but I had good friends and never got manic and never had to go to the hospital for almost 10 years and also did well in school. I think invega is too inconsistent and can't take the mood stabilizer I want to"

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I think this is the only antipsychotic that has worked for me. I was on risperdal previously and it didn't work that well except that I made good friends and was nice usually but I was always really paranoid or psychotic when I'd do all nighters for school and thought there was a serial killer outside the window. invega is much better though and I don't get that paranoia anymore or the really scary type of paranoia anymore although I get scared sometimes but it doesn't stop me from doing things. I'm on 12 mg of invega and 300 mg of lamictal. Im not doing the best because the lamictal should be at 400 mg to be optimal. I wasn't able to tolerate too high of a dose of invega at first because it made me really tired& sleep all day but I can now"

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med did absolutely nothing for me."

Carnov April 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med is rubbish . I can't sleep I have insomnia weight gain feel like garbage. It was helpful for first 4 months."

Baller3000 January 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been suffering major depression for over 10 years and Zoloft took the edge off but I was still extremely depressed. I had mood swings and disorganized thinking, speech problems by being unable to articulate what I mean, paranoia and so forth. I was originally diagnosed with bipolar disorder but the diagnoses didn't fit. I also was diagnosed with Aspergers. I took a personality and general mental health test by a professional psychologist and the results were tallied by a computer. I have schizoaffective disorder. I showed my results to my psychiatrist and she's prescribed invega. My depression is gone, I laugh and tell jokes, I can think clearly now and my relationship with my husband has never been better. Thank you!"

Nikkisaturn December 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am living a productive symptom free life because of Invega shot 4 yrs, 6mg pill for 1. Now college grad, off disability, full time job (40 k) at investment bank all possible by Invega. I was severely sick and now I haven't been for 5 years. It took a couple of hospitalizations, several lost jobs, and even jail ( which was turning point) to find Invega. I did 3 full time yrs in college and got 3.9 in finance. Only sides effects I've had are slightly high cholesterol and weight gain which for me is somewhat manageable with diet although for what I eat I'd be 20 pds less. I am now crystal clear and have zero symptoms. Life changer."

RamiJames November 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first started taking invega it took away the voices and delusional thoughts better than the other injection I was receiving. Weening off of it was not hard but I was also taking large doses of niacin and lithium at the time. I had a manic episode that lasted 3 months after withdrawing. After that, one injection brought me back to reality in less than a day. I have extreme weight gain on invega, drousiness (sleep 12 hours a day) and decreased sex drive. Though it is important for me to point out, like I said, no mania or hallucinating. I function well on the injection. It is the side effects that I have troubles dealing with."

Damien Guymon August 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Feel okay but gained 60ibs in three months. Horrible joint pain."

Drake109 July 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i have been on this med for just over two weeks my head is clear my thoughts are better my communication better my partner cant get over the diffrence no anger no depression in fact i laugh and sing now my partner and i dont fight any more i actualy went for a walk this morning instead of hiding at home this is great my choice of food is better healthier so hoping to loose wieght since i put so much on on the serequel now all i have to do is talk my partners case worker to put him on it he has scizophrenea and struggles day to day with all sorts of side effects love this stuff there is a light at the end of the tunnel"

tan444 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Invega ER for two months; so much better in the head, sorted the acute psychosis out, organized my thoughts in a new and helpful way, slight orthostatic hypotension and drowsiness is easing - overall, this has been a saviour re paranoia and hallucinations etc. AND I am more motivated to do things; continuing with Pristiq at 200mgs and paliperidone 9mg good."

PixelPop (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a lot of vomiting after the shot, but it goes away. The voices are minimal, hallucinations are almost gone. I think it's worth it; hopefully my body will get used to it."

Jessica LAWSON November 22, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Invega 9 mg is perfect."

alladdin (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Medication Stopped my psychosis cold, dead. It gave me my life back and has been the only thing that worked. Less weight gain, Fatigue, and Sexual side effects."

truatx (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was a very harsh medicine. I had urinary problems. "

Anonymous September 20, 2012