User Reviews for Invega to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Invega has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 61 ratings for the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder. 39% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Invega Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Invega

Phyc patient · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 21, 2020

“If you are looking for the worst time of your life this is the medication for you! Do you want to gain 100lbs? Lose all your friends and be made into a vegetable? If so Invega will do the job. Don’t take this, its terrible you will gain weight, everything nice will gone from your life, you will feel sick and foggy all the time and your life will basically be over. It reduces you to like a fraction of the person you should be and its messy and unpleasant. No one should take this.”

Grant · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2018

“My son started Invega and the drug made his symptoms worse. He couldn't sleep he became very agitated. He had hospital admission after hospital admission. I am sorry to say he killed himself about three months after starting this drug. Please don't let anyone you love start this drug, it is a very bad drug.”

Unicorn36 April 13, 2021

“I've been on invega for 3 years. The beginning was bad. I had so much energy I couldn't sit still or get comfortable. I gained weight but it got better. I started to see the benefits for example less tension and edginess, better decision making, sleep improvements, and feeling less scared and paranoid. Then I got diagnosed with high levels of prolactin. It has been over a year and they still can't get it in control which means I'm always itchy and fat. Now I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes because of meds. I was told to eat right and exercise everyday for the rest of my life. And then he laughed!! It has been about a month since pre-diabetes diagnosis and I have only lost 1kg. That's with healthy eating and exercise. My dr thinks the benefits still outweigh the risk so there constantly pushing the drug on me but I'm itchy, pre-diabetic, and fat.”

Anya February 1, 2020

“I’m currently writing with trembles in my hands and muscle stiffness. I had a nervous breakdown and classified bi-polar NIGHTMARE BEGAN. I have extreme paranoia , lost my job because Invega destroyed my hand coordination, TD, (I believe I have permanent brain damage), sexual dysfunction, muscle stiffness, tremors in my whole body, hands shaking, face twitching, curling fingers, I can’t hold down food, severe anxiety, depression, suicidal, anti-social, no emotions, removed from relationships, no periods infertile at this point, no sleep in 3-months, pacing, blurry vision, absolute chemical lobotomy - fear of body deteriorating. 39 years old hard to find the energy just to stay alive. Everything in my body is dry. I’m a nervous wreck. Detoxing: I was trying to restart body- No change in 2-months. Instead have early signs of Parkinson’s. ”

Jesus · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“I'm so depressed on invega that I cry multiple times a day, can't maintain any friendships, too tired and demotivated to work out or play my guitar like I used to. I lay in my bed every day no motivation for anything”

K May 14, 2019

“It's been 3 years since I took Invega but I still think about it often because I have never been as depressed as I was on Invega. I would literally cry upon waking because I couldn't bear being conscious. I was sleeping ~13 hours a day for a few months. It made me catatonic a few times as well. I was so depressed there were times I couldn't lift my head or stand up or even talk. It was an actual nightmare and my psych insisted it was just initial adjustment side effects, but I have never been on a medication that harmed me as much as Invega. I would have taken the psychosis over the Invega any day. I stopped taking it without permission and I kid you not--the next day, I felt normal. I physically couldn't get out of bed and my limbs felt like lead; it was ridiculous. I was in such a dark dark place and started giving away my belongings, but stopped almost immediately once I stopped the medication.”

Nseyet · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2018

“I was forced to take invega after a spiritual emergence was diagnosed as schizophrenia, bipolar, and schizoaffective disorder. I had the initial dose of 256mg I believe, then 150mg for four months. My last shot was in aug 2018. By the second shot my thoughts had stopped. I could no longer think. It shut off my consciousness. My memory and retaining information has been effected. I developed anhedonia. I can no longer feel any emotion. I have no libido or menstrual cycles. I haven't had an appetite in 4 months. I have no desire to eat or get pleasure from it. I have insomnia. I believe this medicine has caused brain damage. Other drugs have reduced or no effectiveness such as cannabis, nicotine, caffeine, alcohol and sleep medication. This drug has a half life of 25-49 days. So its gonna take at least a year before it is completely out of my system.”

RamiJames November 17, 2015

“I am living a productive symptom free life because of Invega shot 4 yrs, 6mg pill for 1. Now college grad, off disability, full time job (40 k) at investment bank all possible by Invega. I was severely sick and now I haven't been for 5 years. It took a couple of hospitalizations, several lost jobs, and even jail ( which was turning point) to find Invega. I did 3 full time yrs in college and got 3.9 in finance. Only sides effects I've had are slightly high cholesterol and weight gain which for me is somewhat manageable with diet although for what I eat I'd be 20 pds less. I am now crystal clear and have zero symptoms. Life changer.”

Nikkisaturn December 28, 2015

“I have been suffering major depression for over 10 years and Zoloft took the edge off but I was still extremely depressed. I had mood swings and disorganized thinking, speech problems by being unable to articulate what I mean, paranoia and so forth. I was originally diagnosed with bipolar disorder but the diagnoses didn't fit. I also was diagnosed with Aspergers. I took a personality and general mental health test by a professional psychologist and the results were tallied by a computer. I have schizoaffective disorder. I showed my results to my psychiatrist and she's prescribed invega. My depression is gone, I laugh and tell jokes, I can think clearly now and my relationship with my husband has never been better. Thank you!”

ASDFG · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2020

“put on Invega for Bipolar mood swings I could not get past the first couple of days trying this medication. My nose stuffed up and my body felt like dead weight. On day 2 I had a huge panic attack in the evening. I ate from 7pm to 12am. No, no and no.”

fallenstar · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2018

“A big warning about this drug...it completely stopped all functioning and thought . I was on it for Bipolar disorder which it isn't registered for. I felt destroyed by this drug and my life robbed from me over a misdiagnosis. I gained 30 kgs, have a prolactanoma, obesity ,pre diebetes, serious liver conditions just to name a few that have shortened my life and have left me without any quality of life. Horrible drug that cannot be made available to so many fickle and uncaring doctors. I still experience pain 24/7.e How this drug was ever passed is something to think about and it should only be prescribed to schizophrenics or people with schizoaffective disorder anyway!!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2018

“This drug has ruined my life. It caused me to lactate. Even 4 months later off the medicine, I am still lactating and my prolactin got even higher! I had an MRI and it didn't show a pituitary tumor, which this drug can cause. I am now being referred to a neurosurgeon because nobody knows what to do and nobody knows how my prolactin can still be so high. A few years ago, my pituitary gland was symmetrical, but ever since being on Invega, my pituitary gland is asymmetrical. One side is bigger than the other. This drug caused my pituitary to change its shape. On top of that, I lost my periods completely, so now I'm infertile. It also made me eat like a horse and gain weight. My life is ruined. Beware of this drug.”

MDJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

“This is a terrible drug. In four days I've had heart palpitations, wheezing shakes, insomnia, aggression, restlessness. Horrible drug for schizophrenics. I interacted more with my voices due to insomnia and headaches. I had to call the suicide crisis line because I had a panic attack so severe night 4 of taking this poison.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2018

“Horrible drug. Made me antsy and severely depressed. I enjoy being off my meds and I love the high I get when I'm unmedicated. Please don't take meds if you wanna feel good. I'm better off my meds and plus I enjoy the high”

Natron · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2019

“I've been on Invega now for 2 months, it has stop the hallucinations and delusions but has also increased my depression. I feel emotionally numb and am tired all the time. I also can't exercise like I used to, to tired to even walk. I'm still adjusting to this new med so Hopefully things will settle down.”

tan444 · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2015

“i have been on this med for just over two weeks my head is clear my thoughts are better my communication better my partner cant get over the diffrence no anger no depression in fact i laugh and sing now my partner and i dont fight any more i actualy went for a walk this morning instead of hiding at home this is great my choice of food is better healthier so hoping to loose wieght since i put so much on on the serequel now all i have to do is talk my partners case worker to put him on it he has scizophrenea and struggles day to day with all sorts of side effects love this stuff there is a light at the end of the tunnel”

anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

“Put on Invega and I started hearing voices which is something that's never happened. Panic attacks, something that's never happened. Always felt cold. Would wake up in the middle of the night as though I've been possessed. Invega contains fluoride, highly recommend finding medication fluoride-free. Not to mention it costs $900/month for the pill & $1900/month for the injection! Was on the pill for 2 weeks, went off cold turkey and it was hard, could only describe a really bad physical sensation. I'm trying Lurasidone next, seems to have much better reviews for schizoaffectives. Wish everyone the best.”

Trysomethingelse · Taken for 10 years or more November 20, 2017

“This medication sucks. I only experienced side effects and no benefit. I would rather spend my time looking for another way to treat my illness than to give any of these antipsychotics another chance. All of them cause weight gain sexual side effects, tardive dyskensia, tardive dystonia among other side effects that could mess you up for life. I admit it's very debilitating at times but I would rather have my orginal problems than to be given another set of problems to replace them. If your psychosis is really bad and you can't live a normal life at all and your homeless and you scare people or end up in jail because your illness than I say take it. But if you can wait till they figure out how to make better meds than wait.”

Unicorn36 March 9, 2021

“It started off OK I had feeling the urge to talk all the time but then I started to feel confined and restless that went on for months but went away. It was going well until it raised my prolactin I went on meds for that and after a year I'm back to normal. I have to get off because my glucose test is borderline but I'm having diabetic symptoms. The pros were I get the tense edgyness feeling in my body went away. I slept better. I didn't think everyone was out to get me. Social anxiety went down.”

psalmist · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2018

“It helped so much right away but then the honeymoon wore off and It gave me 20 lbs weight gain and an uncontrollable appetite. That slowly went away a month later and then was on injection and started to experience my bladder being constricted and I'd have to go 10-12 times some days. The med helps me "stabilize" but it also now is getting me steadily more depressed and I am getting such intense anhedonia. Am going to go back to Haldol I think. It's like a chemical labotomy, but most meds are anyways and no one really cares about those who suffer from mental illness. ”

Damien Guymon August 6, 2015

“When I first started taking invega it took away the voices and delusional thoughts better than the other injection I was receiving. Weening off of it was not hard but I was also taking large doses of niacin and lithium at the time. I had a manic episode that lasted 3 months after withdrawing. After that, one injection brought me back to reality in less than a day. I have extreme weight gain on invega, drousiness (sleep 12 hours a day) and decreased sex drive. Though it is important for me to point out, like I said, no mania or hallucinating. I function well on the injection. It is the side effects that I have troubles dealing with.”

PixelPop · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2014

“Been on Invega ER for two months; so much better in the head, sorted the acute psychosis out, organized my thoughts in a new and helpful way, slight orthostatic hypotension and drowsiness is easing - overall, this has been a saviour re paranoia and hallucinations etc. AND I am more motivated to do things; continuing with Pristiq at 200mgs and paliperidone 9mg good.”

alligator112 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 6, 2016

“I think this is the only antipsychotic that has worked for me. I was on risperdal previously and it didn't work that well except that I made good friends and was nice usually but I was always really paranoid or psychotic when I'd do all nighters for school and thought there was a serial killer outside the window. invega is much better though and I don't get that paranoia anymore or the really scary type of paranoia anymore although I get scared sometimes but it doesn't stop me from doing things. I'm on 12 mg of invega and 300 mg of lamictal. Im not doing the best because the lamictal should be at 400 mg to be optimal. I wasn't able to tolerate too high of a dose of invega at first because it made me really tired& sleep all day but I can now”

copperdome February 20, 2017

“This medicine wrecked me. I had a drug induced psychosis, they had no business putting me on this. The only positive is that it did snap me back into reality, but some clean time would have done that. I have gained weight all in my stomach, I developed akathisia that lasted 2 months after discontinuing. Also extreme anhedonia which can persist for up to a year. I hope I return to normal way before that. Please only attempt this med if you don't know which way is up.”

askata · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2017

“Although it helped with my delusional thoughts, it completely destroyed my life. I have anhedonia, loss of sex drive, fatigue, can't play football or any sports, my mind is blank, 40 kg weight gain, always hungry, can't get drunk. Feeling down sometimes. Robbed every joy from me.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder