User Reviews for Invega

Invega Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Invega to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

"It helped so much right away but then the honeymoon wore off and It gave me 20 lbs weight gain and an uncontrollable appetite. That slowly went away a month later and then was on injection and started to experience my bladder being constricted and I'd have to go 10-12 times some days. The med helps me "stabilize" but it also now is getting me steadily more depressed and I am getting such intense anhedonia. Am going to go back to Haldol I think. It's like a chemical labotomy, but most meds are anyways and no one really cares about those who suffer from mental illness. "

psalmist (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

"first I was on zyprexa depot because of manic psychosis in 2016. The I switched to invega tabs 12 mg and I felt a lot better, less zombie feelings and less weight gain. Now I'm decreasing to 9 mg to see how this will work."

Nietzsche (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

"This drug has ruined my life. It caused me to lactate. Even 4 months later off the medicine, I am still lactating and my prolactin got even higher! I had an MRI and it didn't show a pituitary tumor, which this drug can cause. I am now being referred to a neurosurgeon because nobody knows what to do and nobody knows how my prolactin can still be so high. A few years ago, my pituitary gland was symmetrical, but ever since being on Invega, my pituitary gland is asymmetrical. One side is bigger than the other. This drug caused my pituitary to change its shape. On top of that, I lost my periods completely, so now I'm infertile. It also made me eat like a horse and gain weight. My life is ruined. Beware of this drug."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2018

"Hey well as soon as I took this drug I was happy enough. The rushing thoughts began to subdue. I will say one thing - if you going to take this be careful there some sucky side affects like weight gain. I didn't get the weight gain but I did get low libido and it got a little better once I stopped taking it completely and went back on. I still have some high blood pressure, high white blood cell count and high cholesterol so watch that. So that's all my side affects. One more thing don't let these punks mess you around - once you're on it they might try making your life a drug induced nightmare. It's your body, you're choice if it works you will know. If you're really bad stick to a low dose and test if its the right drug for you. Then you're not going to get one: addicted and two: not aware of if its the right drug for you. I'm on 3mg tablet now and I hope to go cold turkey soon after 6 months wish me luck."

danger mouse (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2018

"Absolutely terrible drug. Can’t get an erection and no sperm on this med. cloudy head, can’t concentrate, can’t stop pacing. Didn’t even stop my condition. What a rubbish drug"

Harry744774 January 7, 2018

"I have been on this medication for two years. I'm on 117 milligrams and my mood gets worse every time I take the injection"

Cowboy Chris Moore (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2017

"This medication sucks. I only experienced side effects and no benefit. I would rather spend my time looking for another way to treat my illness than to give any of these antipsychotics another chance. All of them cause weight gain sexual side effects, tardive dyskensia, tardive dystonia among other side effects that could mess you up for life. I admit it's very debilitating at times but I would rather have my orginal problems than to be given another set of problems to replace them. If your psychosis is really bad and you can't live a normal life at all and your homeless and you scare people or end up in jail because your illness than I say take it. But if you can wait till they figure out how to make better meds than wait."

Trysomethingelse (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2017

"I am a victim of bad diagnosis my brain scan has revealed a normal brain I have suffered from concussion which has led to irritable behaviour nothing else. My medical practioner is not honest as I am 62 years old and this drug is not indicated for my age I have had differences with my family and disputes in property which has led to unethical relations to force this treatment on me. It's voluntary to go to psychiatric institutions but I have been forced into it. In the past I was treated with clozapine which led to tumors in my stomach and bone pain. I have also been treated with olanzapine which caused insulin resistant diabetes I have treated side effects with citrus peels and high doses of vitamins for diabetes and tibetan medicine for tumors"

Shunnu (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

"This medicine helps in curing the voices and delusional thoughts that sometimes come with schizoaffective disorders.But the worst side of this medication is complete weight gain. I went from size 2 to 14. It also makes your boobs grow bigger and stops the menstrual periods.The drug stays in the system for a long period of time. I stopped it in May and it’s been 5 months but I keep on gaining weight and boobs keep getting bigger and bigger. Worst medication ever! I have to deal with the weight gain and this causes a lot of insecurities especially for a lady! But the doctor told me that it gradually comes out of the system with time. So still hoping that my life will get back to normal with time."

Santinop (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 16, 2017

"I have had only my first 2 shots, my last shot being June 23rd 2017, which was the day I was released from the psych ward, I decided that I wanted to see how I was going to do without the drugs and see how I am, my first shot was the week before, I didn't even tell them I was hearing voices because I was at awe that I was and wanted to keep that to myself, I believe I was only hearing them for about 4 weeks but I can't really say, even though I was experiencing many new things mentally, physically and emotionally, even before the voices, I would have rather felt that and heard voices, which I don't hear anymore than to feel how I am now...literally zero emotions, don't get pleasure for anything, don't feel anything I mean anything"

Momogus October 1, 2017

"Although it helped with my delusional thoughts, it completely destroyed my life. I have anhedonia, loss of sex drive, fatigue, can't play football or any sports, my mind is blank, 40 kg weight gain, always hungry, can't get drunk. Feeling down sometimes. Robbed every joy from me."

askata (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 6, 2017

"I knew within 48 hours that this drug was a game-changer. I had been in a 5-year-long depression, sleeping 18-20 hours a day, obese, no writing, no reading. Invega gave me a life. Granted, there is that yucky weight gain--but with Invega I actually have the energy to go to the gym 4.5 hours a week so it's (s-l-o-w-l-y) coming off. I can read and write, manage a routine, etc. Granted, there are some times when I get a little muddled, but it's now in the range of "take a deep breath and start again" as opposed to catastrophic. There might be another drug out there with less severe weight gain, but I wouldn't trade how I mentally feel now for anything. I'll always be fluffy, but I'm happy. That's a fair trade any day!"

PhysicsRocks (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 23, 2017

"My son just got injected with invega. I pray this is going to work for him. I want him to have a normal life and desire life again. He is also taking lamictal this is also new for him. I hope this convo works for him. He is 26 years old and new with all this. Just got diagnosed with bipolar mania. :("

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

"Causes really dark thoughts."

Scoott (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

"After taking 6 mg Invega for 3 years, I asked my physician what was making me gain so much weight....He told me it was the Invega and suggested I stop taking it...So I stopped taking it the next day! That was horrible advise (to quit cold-turkey) but I lost 40 pounds in 2 months. I kept the weight off until I developed psychosis/delusional thinking...After about 6 months and a suicide attempt I am back on it but shots only. Within 2 months I gained the 40 pounds back and gained an additional 40 lbs, making it a total of 80 lbs gained. Time for something else! I am in pain from bad knees & can hardly walk, now....Great mood helper but terrible on the body!"

Michael T April 20, 2017

"Exceedingly dry mouth causing broken sleep and frequent drinks, blood sugar ebbs and reduced stamina, encourages me to eat up to five times a day. Osteoarthritis worsens with the dryness however mentally stable. Wary of this drug being only a stop gap and apprehensive what's next on the medication menu as all have unbearable side effects."

Whoh March 2, 2017

"This medicine wrecked me. I had a drug induced psychosis, they had no business putting me on this. The only positive is that it did snap me back into reality, but some clean time would have done that. I have gained weight all in my stomach, I developed akathisia that lasted 2 months after discontinuing. Also extreme anhedonia which can persist for up to a year. I hope I return to normal way before that. Please only attempt this med if you don't know which way is up."

copperdome February 20, 2017

"Shaking of the legs and the tongue. TardiVe dyskinesia developed. Wasn't told about the side effects of Invega before taking the drug."

Cheryl2464 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 11, 2016

"this medication is weird. you can be doing really well and be normal and then all of a sudden you get a manic episode or psychotic episode out of nowhere when you were normal like 2 days ago. It doesn't help you sleep although it's good because it didn't stop me from waking up in the morning. I was able to go to for my morning class as I was waking up at 5:30am. Although couldn't concentrate in class and I never cooked. from what I remember I was doing better on risperdal although I was more out of it and way more paranoid and it was really scary but I had good friends and never got manic and never had to go to the hospital for almost 10 years and also did well in school. I think invega is too inconsistent and can't take the mood stabilizer I want to"

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2016

"I think this is the only antipsychotic that has worked for me. I was on risperdal previously and it didn't work that well except that I made good friends and was nice usually but I was always really paranoid or psychotic when I'd do all nighters for school and thought there was a serial killer outside the window. invega is much better though and I don't get that paranoia anymore or the really scary type of paranoia anymore although I get scared sometimes but it doesn't stop me from doing things. I'm on 12 mg of invega and 300 mg of lamictal. Im not doing the best because the lamictal should be at 400 mg to be optimal. I wasn't able to tolerate too high of a dose of invega at first because it made me really tired& sleep all day but I can now"

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 6, 2016

"This med did absolutely nothing for me."

Carnov April 20, 2016

"This med is rubbish . I can't sleep I have insomnia weight gain feel like garbage. It was helpful for first 4 months."

Baller3000 January 26, 2016

"I have been suffering major depression for over 10 years and Zoloft took the edge off but I was still extremely depressed. I had mood swings and disorganized thinking, speech problems by being unable to articulate what I mean, paranoia and so forth. I was originally diagnosed with bipolar disorder but the diagnoses didn't fit. I also was diagnosed with Aspergers. I took a personality and general mental health test by a professional psychologist and the results were tallied by a computer. I have schizoaffective disorder. I showed my results to my psychiatrist and she's prescribed invega. My depression is gone, I laugh and tell jokes, I can think clearly now and my relationship with my husband has never been better. Thank you!"

Nikkisaturn December 28, 2015

"I am living a productive symptom free life because of Invega shot 4 yrs, 6mg pill for 1. Now college grad, off disability, full time job (40 k) at investment bank all possible by Invega. I was severely sick and now I haven't been for 5 years. It took a couple of hospitalizations, several lost jobs, and even jail ( which was turning point) to find Invega. I did 3 full time yrs in college and got 3.9 in finance. Only sides effects I've had are slightly high cholesterol and weight gain which for me is somewhat manageable with diet although for what I eat I'd be 20 pds less. I am now crystal clear and have zero symptoms. Life changer."

RamiJames November 17, 2015

"When I first started taking invega it took away the voices and delusional thoughts better than the other injection I was receiving. Weening off of it was not hard but I was also taking large doses of niacin and lithium at the time. I had a manic episode that lasted 3 months after withdrawing. After that, one injection brought me back to reality in less than a day. I have extreme weight gain on invega, drousiness (sleep 12 hours a day) and decreased sex drive. Though it is important for me to point out, like I said, no mania or hallucinating. I function well on the injection. It is the side effects that I have troubles dealing with."

Damien Guymon August 6, 2015