User Reviews for Oxycodone to treat Pain

Also known as: OxyContin, Xtampza ER, Roxicodone, Oxyfast, Dazidox, Oxaydo, Oxydose ETH-Oxydose Endocodone

Oxycodone has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 420 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 81% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Oxycodone Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 1438 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Oxycodone

J December 26, 2020

“I take the oxycotin 10-325. Recently all pharmacies in my area changed to Rhodes brand. It's garbage. Either it does not have the right amount of medicine or the strength is incorrect. I never have a single issue with any other brand. I get withdrawal symptoms, my legs jump and it keeps me from sleeping because it does not manage the pain as it should. If you try to split the pills they crumble. Does no one oversee these pharmaceutical companies??”

Legit Patient · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2020

“VA is now prescribing oxycodone made by Rhodes pharma to its chronic pain patients. This stuff is pure garbage. IT DOES NOT WORK!!! I went through withdrawal and was sick for a week as soon as they switched me to this. I, like countless other reviewers now live with increased pain, nausea, upset stomach and depression. My life has been turned upside down. This is how the government treats its vets. Its DISGRACEFUL! My only hope is that enough people will come forward and expose this fake garbage they are giving us.”

Anonymous April 15, 2008

OxyContin (oxycodone): “Ahhhh, the dreaded drug...no matter what you call it, by whatever media-scare tactic out there, what isn't trumpeted are the success stories....why is that? Does something have to be "Negative" to garner press? And if so, why is that? My story: Two brain surgeries. Manmouth amounts of pain. I tried everything -- nothing lasted like this drug. It has allowed me to go back to work, to live my life, to be a father to my children. Screw the strange looks @the pharmacy...I'm alive!”

gimmedatOC August 26, 2010

OxyContin (oxycodone): “OxyContin has helped me so much to live my life. I have no arms and only one leg from an IED when I was in Afghanistan. I suffer from Phantom limb pain and numerous other problems, but I don't care, because had I not got in the way of the blast then a 2 year old and 3 year old would have died, so I'm fine with how I look. OxyContin has made the pain bearable. ”

crossedwires June 27, 2009

OxyContin (oxycodone): “To keep this within limits I will not get detailed on the benefits of Oxycontin. As you can read on the other forums it works. I take 80mg 3x a day and it works great. Been on it for 5 years now and liver test done last month was excellent. I am tired of the bad rap this medicine gets though. There are even sites devoted to its removal by people who have lost loved ones who abused the drug. While I feel for these people, no one told anyone abuse this wonderful drug. When taken properly this medicine works excellent with little to no side effects. It is said that you become dependent on this medicine but it is meant for long term and a good doctor will bring you down properly. So withdrawals should be minimum. This is a true wonder drug.”

Anonymous April 20, 2008

OxyContin (oxycodone): “For years I suffered from severe back pain and despite medical records from specialists I was treated like a street level drug abuser by at least 20 different doctors. I was past the end of my rope. Two years ago I found a doctor who had compassion and put me on Oxycontin and now I actually have a very productive life!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2020

Xtampza ER (oxycodone): “I am another patient to say Xtampza ER just sucks, it doesn't work. To get it to maybe work I gotta be a fat as with fatty hi cal foods? 7 spinal surgeries and 16 years on OxyContin and I was all good. It controlled the tingling nasty damaged nerve at the top of my butt crack that when it is firing is unbearable. I'm 64 year old pain patient suffering unbearably when the pain used to be under control”

Alwaysanurseatheart October 31, 2013

OxyContin (oxycodone): “After severely injuring my back while lifting a patient, herniating three discs, three failed back surgeries and multiple ineffective pain relief measures I finally accepted that I will need medication until a cure for spinal nerve damage is found. Using oxycodone means I can walk my dog, keep my house neat, enjoy life with my husband and live life again. I am scruptiously careful about how much I take and keep them under lock and key for the safety of my grandchildren. With great care this drug can give you your life back. However if a person doesn't take very seriously the potential addiction properties it can make a bad situation worse.”

Anonymous March 6, 2008

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I was recently prescribed this medication and it has worked wonders for my pain. The only drawback is that many pharmacy's in my area aren't carrying it because of its negative press, and I felt like I was being treated like I was a drug addict at each pharmacy I went too. Oh well.”

Heretohelp12 August 8, 2009

OxyContin (oxycodone): “Works miracles for Fibromyalgia. I don't ever want to experience the pain of a nerve attack without Oxycontin ever again. I'm 19, so I can't just stay home and suffer and lounge around. I have a life to live, and if it weren't for Oxycontin I wouldn't be able to perform simple every day tasks. I will say though it is much, much safer to stay with the lowest possible dose, which are the 10mg ones (I don't take generics so there are probably lower doses, I just don't know of them). If you use Oxycontin in moderation and as prescribed it is easy to control dependency. They also work great for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Hope this helps.”

Frustrated in FL · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2020

“I fill my prescriptions at Walgreens in Florida where it is extremely difficult to get anyone to fill an opioid Rx. I am 66 years old and after breaking my hip was treated like a drug abuser at my local grocery store pharmacy. Walgreens is constantly switching to the cheaper provider. Due to complications I have been on the opioids so long I have to step down to discontinue and now Walgreens has switched again to a weaker version so I have involuntarily stepped down before I can even get started. Walgreens has no consideration how the patient is affected only their profit.”

ThanksOxy April 4, 2008

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I was on Oxycodone 5/325 for about two years and my Doctor switched me to 3 20 MG OC's a day. i have been taking them for about 6 months now and I feel like a new person. i have Chronoc Nerological lower back pain. This drug has changed my life. i am able to roll around the floor with my kids again and do many things I could not do in the past. Great drug, but very addicting. If you take this med, take it exactlt as the Doctor advises. best pain Med out there. I have been through them al”

Anonymous May 1, 2009

OxyContin (oxycodone): “With degenerative bone disease, my lumbar spine shows up 'black' in x-rays, and nobody will do another surgery on me. So I've been on everything under the sun since 1999, but they all made me too loopy. Then the wonder drug Oxycontin was prescribed to me, and my life was given back. I could clean my house, play with my children basically get off the couch and out of my wheelchair. I can walk now, barely use my cane anymore. I am so sick of the bad press, the drug tests, etc.”

pigeontoe · Taken for 10 years or more February 7, 2013

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I have been dealing with chronic back, neck, hip, knee and both ankles pain for ten years now. I'm 48yrs I've always worked until my body broke down. If were not for the Oxycontin, I would be bedridden and in a wheelchair. When taken appropriately this is a miracle. ”

budss101 October 12, 2009

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I am 58 yrs old. In my teens and early 20s I played sports and have had numerous spine injury's. So far I have had 5 spine surgery, Radiation for cancer. I have lived with constant pain that is unbelievable. My quality of life was poor to say the least although I have be very active in hunting and fishing sports despite the pain. This drug is a life saver, any and every drug can be misused, the government has the Doctor community afraid of their own shadows on this drug, but properly used for folks like me it has no equal. My quality of life without this drug would be zero, side effects are there but manageable. If you are living with severe pain, seek out a Doctor that with prescribe this drug for you, and monitor you for the side effects.”

charliann November 3, 2009

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I suffer from degenerative disc disease. For years I was unable to live a normal functioning life. My Doc had me taking 4/10mg Norcos & 4/30mg Morphine pills daily. While they gave me some relief, I was still in a great deal of pain and felt like I was taking pills all the time. I spoke to my Doc about my continuing pain and the constant pill popping with minimal relief. She told me about Oxycontin. She said that she didn't normally prescribe it and only had one other patient on it but, I could try it to see if it gave me any better relief. I take 3/40mg Oxycontins daily now and the difference in my life is amazing. I hate the way people treat me when they learn that I am taking Oxy. It works wonders so get off our backs.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

“I just had surgery Friday for an ectopic pregnancy, I was prescribed 2 of these oxycodone pills before I left the hospital and denied anything for pain besides tylenol at home. I went back to the hospital after 12 hour because I tried it their way with just tylenol and the pain became unbearable, I waited 2 hours in the ER with horrible pain from surgery. Finally I was prescribed some morphine and then when they released me I was prescribed 13 of these oxycodone pills. 1 every 6 hrs for 2 days and then 1 every 12 hrs until I run out. They work mostly on taking the edge off but do not help me move or anything like a percocet did with my first surgery. I hate this opioid crisis because we have to suffer because of all the drug addicts. I was denied pain pills after a major surgery in nc. Because of all of the addicts. I am highly upset because my pain will not just go away after 13 of these pills and I am not allowed a refill or anything.”

Jilly June 2, 2019

Xtampza ER (oxycodone): “I trialed Xtampza ER for 5 days due to a forced step therapy trial. I went into the trial with a positive attitude because I wanted it to work and I can tolerate Oxycodone. (If it worked, my insurance company would stop hassling me because this med is cheaper than my current med.) However, by day two I could not walk or move because I experienced a rare side effect which I think was due to a filler. My muscle groups locked up consecutively one by one starting w/my lower back and spreading across my body. My pain was also completely uncontrolled, so the dosage was not comparable to my previous morphine milligram equivalency. (My trusted pharmacist researched Xtampza and thought it would be equivalent, so I share this as a possible criticism of the drug itself and not a commentary on my tolerance.) I have complex regional pain syndrome, meaning I am an intractable pain patient, and have been prescribed pain medication for about eight years to manage my pain.”

JVKTN September 29, 2009

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I am so very pleased to read all of these reviews. I have been on Oxycontin for just over a year. After one cervical and two lumbar fusions my ortho doctor refused to prescribe anything stronger than Percocet. He referred me to the pain clinic and I am so very lucky to have a knowledgeable doctor. Oprah had a show on prescription drug addicts today (my family all have issues with this medication). I would like to see someone brave enough to stand up for all of us in chronic pain that HAVE to take this medication to simply function. I take 60mg 2x's a day and have felt guilty that is until I happened upon these postings. Now I feel like I can ask my doctor to up my dose one more time so that I can get the full benefit of the medicine.”

Anonymous December 7, 2019

“These oxycodone PILLS from Rhodes pharmaceuticals are BUNK!!! Has absolutely NO OXYCODONE in it whatsoever, and does NOT relieve PAIN! I wish the FDA would look into this matter? Do NOT get these from RHODES pharmaceuticals”

Bad Luck Sammy June 7, 2008

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I'm a chronic back pain sufferer who's endured extensize physical therapy, endless pain medicines, muscle relaxers, antiepileptic/antispasmodics, etc., before reluctantly undergoing surgery - Anterior lumbar fusion with posterior stabilization. Unfortunately surgery failed to relieve the pain. OxyContin's been a life-saver for me (80 mg 2/daily Percocet 10/325 for breakthrough pain)- Nothing short of miraculous in it's ability to allow me to perform daily tasks I was unable to perform previously.”

Ken Kramer · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2021

Xtampza ER (oxycodone): “I was on oxycontin 40, my insurance forced me to Xtampza 36. Compared with name brand oxycontin, Xtampza is better for me. It works within 40 minutes and it lasts 12 hours. Oxycontin took 90 minutes to start working and it stopped working after 8 hours, I wish I had Xtampza years ago. You must take it with food, taking it with no food or a very small amount of food is assuring you that you will experience pain and withdrawal that day, since it's so expensive make sure you are eating an orange, a bagel, or a cup of yogurt is enough, no need for a full meal. If you can't swallow the giant xtampza capsule you can open it and mix the contents with whatever you're eating.”

nm-2019 November 19, 2019

“Right now, people who now really NEED opioid pain killers can't get them because doctors are under scrutiny (as some well should be). That is the biggest travesty of this whole thing. Because people have behaved badly on all levels (including people who knowingly abused these drugs), people are suffering, including many elderly who need them for end of life care. The whole thing is beyond shameful”

paulogger May 26, 2008

OxyContin (oxycodone): “I lived in torture for years after back and neck surgery failed. Like a fool I refused to take narcotic medicine until I started studying their intrinsic effects on people. For the past 4 yrs I've been taking Oxycontin, now 320 mgs/day, and I can only thank God for these little green miracles. I've never felt "high" on them. I take them to function, PERIOD. ”

Hip surgery September 11, 2019

“I normally take oxycodone 10 mg. After hip surgery, I needed a stay at in house rehab facility. I was prescribed oxycodone 10 mg. I noticed immediately this medication was not working at all. The manufacturer was different and was by Rhodes pharmaceuticals. These facilities have contracts to use only this manufacturer. I have reported to management I am receiving no relief from this drug. Any input on who this should be reported to would be helpful. There are long term nursing home patients here that I hear complain that pain meds are giving no relief. I have experienced this first hand. I am fortunate enough to be able to speak out and go home in a month. I hate that elderly people living here are suffering.”