User Reviews for Ondansetron

Also known as: Zofran, Zofran ODT, Zuplenz

Ondansetron has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 403 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of those users who reviewed Ondansetron reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Nausea/Vomiting
Alcohol Dependence  Off-label
Summary of Ondansetron reviews 7.8 403 reviews

Reviews for Ondansetron

I hate nausea March 29, 2021

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Zofran is amazing. Absolutely amazing. My entire life I have feared throwing up. Not sure why but I now have anxiety because of it. I found out I was pregnant and was slightly nauseous all day everyday but with someone who fears vomiting greatly, I was scared and upset. My doctor finally prescribed me zofran after visiting the hospital for nausea and it has been helping me ever since. I have been taking it for 4 years now whenever I need it And it takes it away immediately. So thankful”

Babs · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2021

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have been taking this for several days. It doesn't help my nausea or vomiting. It also is making me feel constipated.”

Catstone · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

Zofran ODT (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Horrible drug for me. Actually makes me nauseous and throw up. Nothing tastes right on this medication. One dose had me throwing up and nauseous, not able to eat for a couple days. One dose had me constipated for about 5 days before I was back to normal (with taking stool softeners Rx after surgery). May work for some but for me it’s a NO go.”

zofranreview · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have been taking this medication at least once a week for about four years now. I have terrible stomach issues now that I no longer have my gallbladder that cause stomach pain, nausea and no appetite, as well as anxiety that manifests as nausea and stomach pain. I also have a HUGE fear of vomiting. This pill has always worked and kept me from vomiting, but on occasion the nausea sticks around but it’s nothing too terrible. I don’t know what I would do without this medication. It helps me live a normal life. I take 4 mg every 4-6 hours as needed, if it’s a rough day I’ll take 8 mg every 6-8 hours. The only down fall is the side effect of constipation, but as someone who is terrified of vomiting, I’ll take the constipation over vomiting any day.”

Dolphin · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have Acute Gastritis and this medicine makes me feel worse. Too many side effects associated with it. I feel more pain in my stomach, light headed, dizzy and just overall bad. I was starting to feel better before I took this medicine and now I have to wait for it run its course.”

Steve · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 28, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I take oxycodone for chronic persistent back pain because of spinal stenosis. As a result I frequently have nausea and vomiting, roughly 4-5x/week. My pain management doctor always prescribes Zofran which doesn’t help in the slightest. I tell him this but he keeps prescribing it none the less. He says it is safe and doesn’t make you sleepy. I say if it doesn’t work what good is it. My GI doctor gave me phenergan which does help but he tells me to go back to the pain guy to get more. I go back, tell him yet he just gives me more Zofran. DON'T YOU JUST LOVE PHYSICIANS WHO LISTEN TO THEIR PATIENTS(sarcasm).”

P.J Sharma June 21, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Gastroenteritis: “Salute to the inventor of this medicine Ondansetron . I have IBS-D and with severe flatulance discomfort and suffocating feeling. After taking the mouth dissolving tablet it acts like miracle. At first all the entrapped gas in abdomen comes out in the form of belching and burping and thereafter the normalcy comes to the body and mind. All other medicines have not worked . This is great. ”

PukingPhobia · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 22, 2018

Zofran (ondansetron) for Gastroenteritis: “God bless the manufacturers of Zofran! I am phobic about vomiting - panic attacks just thinking about it. That little miracle dissolves on my tongue and takes away the nausea and fear. It has saved me trips to the ER for gastric issues. I never want to be without it.”

D · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 24, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Gastroenteritis: “I have been on Zofran for 8 years and it has been a lifesaver. I wake up nauseous every single day and the Zofran works within a half hour and I rarely need a repeat dose. I don't know what I would do without it!”

Tiredofthisbug · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Gastroenteritis: “Gastroenteritis is horrible. I started feeling sick and gassy on the first day. On the second day I thought I was dying. The pain and burning was so bad it made my chest hurt and I thought I was having a heart attack or anxiety attack. Went to the doctor, was prescribed Zofran, almost took the sickness away completely! Still some burning in the lower abdomen, but finally some relief!!!”

camille10 August 7, 2014

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have generalized anxiety disorder and suffer from emetophobia. The anxiety causes stomach upset and the fear of throwing up increases the anxiety in a vicious cycle. My psychiatrist prescribed Zofran while I was trying out SSRI's to help me get through the first few weeks of side effects. I am now on Celexa with a lot less anxiety and only take Zofran as needed! It works great it just makes me feel sleepy. Haven't run into any constipation yet.”

Joy · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have gastritis and am going through a flareup now. Very sick...nauseous for 8 hours every day. Zophran doesn't help me at all...even doubling dose, as my dr recommended. He is giving me Reglan. Praying that works. Nausea is the worst!”

KPP · Taken for 10 years or more January 4, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I’ve had a fear of vomiting for years (25+). Found out about this MED when my best friend has hyperemesis while pregnant and it helped her to stop vomiting. I asked my dr if I could get it because I had such horrible anxiety about throwing up. I take zofran 4-8mg when I have bad nausea and anxiety and it seems to help me. I did throw up once after taking it but I think It was because I had worked myself up so much!”

Mel · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I've taken this medication other various occasions and honestly it's a life saver. Today I woke up with a stomach bug. I got out of bed and drank a glass of water and not even five minutes later I was bent over the toilet. I laid down and maybe half an hour later again. Within two hours I had taken six horrible, dry heaving, painful and exhausting visits to the bathroom. Finally rushed to the Dr, where it happened one more time before being seen. She quickly gave me one of these and I haven't thrown up or felt nauseous since. I've been able to keep down liquids and solids with ease. I see this medication as a great tool to help me get better faster than expected!”

Vh · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Day 1 of what the docs think is the flu, first time puking in a long time. Couldn't hold down water or pepto. Was so nauseous I was having dreams that were making it worse. Zofran has kicked my nausea and now I can eat and drink again and therefore take ibuprofen and my flu meds. Holy cheese batman”

Mandymia · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2014

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I had the Norovirus last year and took Zofran and it worked very well. The pills are small and dissolve easily on your tongue so you don't have to drink water and risk throwing up the medicine. If possible, I think it would be great to offer this medication over the counter.”

Troy · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Gastroenteritis: “Had gastroenteritis, couldn't stop vomiting. Called doctors on call, they came out at 2am and gave me a shot of maxolon (which worked in the past). Was good for about an hour and then it started again, every half hour until I felt like I was going to pass out. Went to the hospital, they gave me a Zofran wafer and I stopped throwing up within 10 minutes. Felt terrible from dehydration but the Zofran wafer stopped the vomiting in its tracks. I now keep Zofran wafers at home, let myself throw up 2-3 times when I get a stomach bug and then pop a Zofran wafer to stop it. Best thing ever.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2013

Zofran ODT (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I've been taking ondansetron ODT 8mg tabs for about 2 days due to nausea caused by a kidney infection. When I take the tablet it doesn't help and makes me more nauseous than I was before. I just took it a half hour ago to be sure, and I immediately became more nauseous. So I'm pretty sure it just doesn't work for me, and I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem?”

xoxo · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given Zofran for nausea when I was battling C. Diff. Colitis and it provided instant relief. This definitely helped me keep down my food and water and eased the dreadful nauseous feeling- it even helped with heartburn/ acid reflux. I had no side effects to it and I am very grateful for this drug.”

Pat · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 7, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have tried 3 different forms of Zofran on multiple occasions for 2 different reasons, and it has never helped my nausea at all. I have tried it for both my everyday nausea and my migraine nausea, but I would still throw up. I have tried the medication in the forms of: 1. Swallowing the pill 2. Dissolving the tablet in my mouth 3. Getting it pumped into me intravenously (with an IV in the hospital). Zofran just doesn't work on me I guess! It works really well for some people, though.”

Xtiffanyoxo March 9, 2015

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “The only medication that really does the trick. I have been prescribed to it twice now due to a severe stomach virus and it gave me relief after 20 minutes! Didn't throw up any more afterwards and helped me sleep after a very restless night. Love it!”

Dani August 19, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “This is the best medicine for vomiting I have ever had. I was on IV antibiotics with a lot of side effects, esp nausea and the antibiotics could not be changed and I literally could not hold down water. I had to be on them for 3 months and Zofran (both IV and ODT) helped me immensely. I was able to drink and even eat little with much less nausea. People have to remember no medication may make symptoms resolve completely every time but this comes pretty close. When I took it for regular nausea from a virus or something it worked like 100% nausea gone. For me there was no side effects, and again people have to remember if you're sick some of the symptoms may not be side effects. If your vomiting repeatedly and are dehydrated of course you're going to have a headache. But everyone is different so what works for one may not have the same effects for another. But I'm a health care worker and whoever is given Zofran usually has relief so give it a try if ur doctor says it's ok!good luck”

preggo84 · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2015

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I'm taking this for morning sickness, I feel like it has given me my life back. I lost over 6 lbs in 5 days due to nausea and vomiting, and was too sick to do anything for my toddler, myself, or my home. I can tell when it's starting to wear off (at about 6.5-7 hr.) because the nausea comes right back. I'll take being backed up and a little drowsy as a side effect... it allows me to eat and keep things down and be present in my family's life. Never thought I'd be so happy to take a medication, but I'm SO thankful for Zofran.”

Bethy-Bee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 27, 2016

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have crohns disease, emetephobia & i also take quite a few pain meds for chronic pain all of which make me extremely nauseous so i suffer nausea allooot! Ondansetron is a life safer for me i take 4 mg every 8-12hrs on a good day some days i take 8mg if its really bad! Ive been taking it daily for nearly 6 months and it is still as affective as the first time i took it! I live in the uk so am fortunate that i dont have too pay eye watering prices. Id reccomend too anybody its brilliant”

gwace · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting, Postoperative: “So I was prescribed Zofran when I got my wisdom teeth out! Worked like a CHARM! I also have had this HUGE fear of vomiting, so bad that I’ll work myself up and become so anxious that I feel like I’ll vomit. This little tablet helps a BUNCH!”

Anonymous September 15, 2011

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I suffer from both severe emetophobia (fear of vomiting) AND a panic disorder which causes nausea and gastric upset. I spent many years trapped in a horrible cycle of panicking any time I felt the slightest twinge of nausea, which in turn, induced intense stomach upset, sometimes to the point of heaving. I've tried other anti-nausea medication in the past (Phenergran, Compazine), with so-so results, and the annoying side effect of extreme drowsiness. Zofran has been a real lifesaver for me. Within minutes of taking a pill, my nausea subsides. The only side effect I've experienced has been constipation, but I'll take that over vomiting any day! ”

ot · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 3, 2019

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “zofran is a LIFESAVER! I’ve been dealing with debilitating constant nausea for months and some days this pill is the only thing that makes me able to eat. I’ve experienced very few side effects, if any, and am so grateful for the relief from nausea. I cannot say enough good things about zofran or recommend it highly enough.”

Juju · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

Zofran (ondansetron) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Acute vomiting - was given I V push Zofran. Within minutes a headache ensued. Massive headache which I did not know or was told can be a side effect. Released from ER 2 hrs later MASSIVE MASSIVE HEADACHE! Headache got worse and worse over the next 3 days. Had to then take Excedrine for headache and had instant digestive pain - NEVER EVER IN MY LIFE HAVE I HAD DIGESTIVE PAIN! Within 24 hrs had shoulder pain in both shoulders - that radiated down both arms. Nausea gone and vomit gone next day. Since Tuesday at the ER I am bedridden still on Sat. with massive headache still - shoulder pain and what feels like an ulcer. I'd have been better off living through the vomit. Especially since at 61 yrs old - headache - digestive pain- shoulder pain have never ever been an issue for me.”