User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Bonine, Travel Sickness, Antrizine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Travel-Ease, Motion-Time, Dramamine II, D-Vert, Driminate II Help I'm Nauseous Sea-Calm

Meclizine has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 197 ratings on Drugs.com. 69% of those users who reviewed Meclizine reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Vertigo
Motion Sickness
8.5
Nausea/Vomiting
9.1
Summary of Meclizine reviews 7.5 197 reviews

Reviews for Meclizine

MV · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2021

For Vertigo: “My doctor prescribed Meclizine for my balance and dizziness issues. I've been taking OTC dramamine less drowsy 1/4 pill at night and it works GREAT. Now I tried the RX 1/2 pill and out of it all day after taking it the night before. I think I will stick to the otc version. Seems to work better for me.”

ROB · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2021

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: “Had a rare Vertigo attack (very dizzy); took Bonine (1) Tablet, and with in :30-:60 mins the dizziness subsided. Took another dose (4) hours later, and the Vertigo was gone. Highly recommend this drug. I also performed Vertigo relief head posturing, in addition; to clear the inner ear of crystalized mineral deposits that cause Vertigo.”

lofi/nofi · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

For Vertigo: “I have Meniere's. I took this for two days and not only did it not help with the balance but it turned me into a crazy person. Like, I remember carrying out small tasks around the house but my house looked totally different with the lighting and wall colors. Then I would sit down and my GF would be sitting in the chair tapping her leg and fidgeting in my peripheral vision but I would turn my head and she would vanish. I got used to it for two days. Finally on Sunday I went to make sure I had something to eat and coffee made for football. I checked the guide and it was still Saturday. Not only was its still Saturday but my GF was at her home 40min away and all of the tasks I remember doing had indeed been done. TL;DR I turned an entire day of sleepwalking into two days of house chores and hallucinating.”

DizzyChick September 2, 2014

For Vertigo: “I was diagnosed with Benign Positional Vertigo in early 90's. It started at a very stressful time in my life. Dizzy, feeling faint, nausea, headache, anxiety, off-balance, can't sit up or lie down without the room spinning, fuzzy feeling in head. Prescribed first by my doctor as Antivert. It made me very sleepy and calm. Good for anxiety as well. It did help stop the spinning and helped me feel much better. I had a wonderful respite from this BPV for years and now today bending down to get seltzerr in supermarket my head started swimming. VERTIGO! I purchased LESS DROWSY form of Meclizine and it is helping and it does make you less drowsy. Good luck to all of us this Vertigo is no joke.”

Birdie A March 13, 2016

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: “I have suffered 4 bouts of benign positional vertigo in the last ten years. It comes on without warning. I always carry Meclizine with me.I get it over the counter. It helps, but it still takes me anywhere from a week to a month to get over the vertigo. At the beginning of the vertigo I take a 25 mg.tablet every 24 hours, but it makes me very sleepy and tired and "hung over"....but I'm able to get out of bed and do things. As the vertigo subsides, I take 1/2 of a tablet once a day and that seems to have fewer side effects. The only thing I've found that really cures the vertigo over a couple of weeks are the exercises I do 3x a day. Got them from a physical therapist. Along with the Meclizine, I seem to eventually get better.”

hark33 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 30, 2014

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: “I have had vertigo for 4 years now and Bonine is the only thing that helps me, I have these on hand wherever I go and could not function right without them. The heaviness in head and the dizziness, I feel it coming on and take two and I'm fine about 20 minutes later. I highly recommend Bonine for vertigo symptoms.”

So · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2019

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: “Suddenly gotten vertigo after my ear got fluid in it from a sinus infection that wasn’t fully cleared from other antibiotics. I ended up feeling so bad for 3 days and bed ridden until I got this yesterday and actually been able to function. I been able to take a shower and make food and wake up without the room spinning! I have to take 3 times a day as directed by my doctor. Only down fall it makes you super drowsy! The drowsiness caused me to slept throughout the night since I have gotten vertigo, which was good since I haven’t slept in days. Get this if you suffering from vertigo it saved me.”

Old biddy January 2, 2019

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: “Was prescribed for severe vertigo following a TBI that left me with vision issues. Only thing that makes it possible for me to function. No problems with drowsiness. Been taking daily for 2+years. Tried to use OTC but ended up falling multiple times. My vertigo is constant and ranges from where I feel like I'm spinning or like the whole world is on a roller coaster.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2020

For Vertigo: “I’ve been on this meclizine medication for 4 days now, I was really dizzy and ended up in the ER. Long story short I got prescribed meclizine, I take it at night time. Since I have been using it I feel this weird heart dropping/tingling/shock sensation that goes through my body at random times, and my hands and arms feel tingly. I take 25 mg every night but I will be discontinuing to take it from now on.”

Blondi · Taken for 10 years or more June 13, 2018

For Vertigo: “I have taken this drug for 15 years 2 pills in am and 2 in pm. Before the drug I could not walk or ride in a car without becoming woozie. I am 72 yrs old and this drug for me has been a life saver. I am able to play with my grand kids and ride in a car for a longer period of time. I can not speak for anyone else, but for me I'm glad it's available.”

Lawjwcc November 24, 2016

For Vertigo: “I have suffered from several types of vertigo. I was advised by my doctor to use exercises by lying down and turning my head in different positions for a period of weeks. I tried this and they made me sicker immediately and didn't improve long term. I have been using meclizine for forty some years it is the only thing that allow me to function when the vertigo is on a rampage.”

Cookie456 August 5, 2016

For Vertigo: “I am writing in case anyone else has similar experience. In 2011, I had vestibular neuritis. My case was severe, w/nystagmus lasting 6 days, I was hospitalized. I recovered from the acute phase w/the help of positive posts from people afflicted & recovered. Eventually, I began having episodes similar & have found out I have 8th cranial nerve damage, residual. Long story short, simple things make me dizzy, car rides, teaching my grandson how to drive, bumpy school bus rides, even upside down emoji smiley faces....yep. This medication has been a life saver & I always have it in my purse. I forget about my condition sometimes & something will make it "act up" & I am s relieved when I remember I have it. I strongly recommend it!”

drowsy · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

For Vertigo: “First let me say that from the moment I was prescribed meclizine for vertigo, I didn’t feel it was necessary. I had a few short dizzy spells and brought it up to my doctor. He put me on 25mg of meclizine, three times a day. Although weary, I took it as prescribed for 4 days before I had to stop. I felt such a heavy mental fog, I must have fallen asleep about 3-5 times each day that I took it, and I was completely spaced out. I felt absolutely EXHAUSTED from the minute I woke up. On the last day I took it, I had fallen asleep at 8 pm the night before, woke up at 730 am, went back to bed at 10 am, and didn’t get up until I had to at 530 pm because I had to go to work. I felt numb and “shut off”. The side effects were far worse than the brief dizzy spells I experienced.”

shakeitoff · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2016

For Vertigo: “I asked my doctor for a medicine to stop this horrible roller coaster. In the last 2 and a half months I have been on an emotional roller coaster. Hospitalized in Jan. for a nervous break down to put it mildly too much to write and too depressing to reiterate . I had jumped to different depression medications and it resulted in severe vertigo. Nonstop, it was debilitating and not many knew what I was experiencing. I am shocked how this medication has dwindled that roller coaster drop with nausea. Still off, but much improvement as I thought I would go mad with the non stop sensation. I look forward to the day with feeling somewhat "normal" as this has been the most awful journey. Doubters, give this medicine a try.”

Dizzy Lizzy · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

For Vertigo: “Meclizine cured the vertigo immediately with no side effects. My refill is different this time it is called Meclizine HCL, may a different brand of generic This one leaves me light headed. Is there something different in the Meclizine HCL to my other one just labelled Meclizine - without the HCL? ”

Adriana675 March 23, 2016

For Vertigo: “I have to say, after using this medication, I felt so much better. It helped restore me back to some order after experiencing, pressure on the head, ears, nauseous and dizziness! I was feeling so out of balance and this pill did restore my normal balance.”

Nicole · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

For Vertigo: “I was prescribed this for vertigo. It might take the edge off of my dizziness, but not enough to significant. I have also noticed that every time I take it, I am up all night with internal tremors. Scary!”

FuzzyPenguin · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: “I took one chewable tablet and have been drowsy and out of it for two days now. I've had severe nausea that comes in waves, dry mouth, a headache, and blurred vision this whole time. My heart rate is also very high. Overall I feel like I'm in a daze, can't think straight, and just not very well overall. I will never take this medication again and I hope it wears off soon.”

Al Peters March 17, 2013

For Vertigo: “My Dr prescribed 25MG tablets of meclizine a couple of years ago. I take it on an "as needed" basis and it has taken care of the times I have symptoms of lightheadedness or dizziness, maybe once or twice a month. I have had no side effects and sleep well with or without the tablet and can drive with no problem.”

DanaLu · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 5, 2014

For Vertigo: “I've been taking meclizine for the past year on and off due to BPPV. When I feel "off" and know it's coming I take a 25mg pill 3 times a day for a day or so. If I ignore the feeling (sometimes I'm in denial...) and the world begins to spin I take a pill and the world rights itself within an hour. ”

Aaron · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: “Within this past week I came down with laryngitis, a sinus and respiratory infection and ears filled with fluid. My PCP gave me 250mg Ceftin twice daily. That helped clear my chest and sinus infection within 3 days but I still had this lingering vertigo where I just did not feel right. Went to urgent care, the doc said ears were filled to the brim with fluid so he gave me prednisone for my ears and antivert for the vertigo. I took one 25mg tab and I can say it is quite noticeable how normal I feel again. I'm a bigger man so the drowsiness hasn't hit me as hard but I would fully recommend this to anyone with vertigo!”

AJ40 March 16, 2015

For Vertigo: “Over the weekend I went to the ER for intense spinning sensation lasting for 3 days and getting worse. I was diagnosed with vertigo accompanied by nystagmus. I feel like a bobble head. I was given meclizine. I spent the entire day sleeping however the spinning and bobbing has greatly decreased. I'm taking 25 mg 3 times daily and I must say I am getting better and I'm no longer experiencing the sleepy side effect with it. Eagerly waiting to feel 100% again. This is my first time experiencing vertigo and I must say it really scared me. But this medication is really helping thankfully.”

chris s December 14, 2014

For Vertigo: “I have been suffering with vertigo for the past three months, spinning every night and still dizzy and nausea during the day. This was causing major stress for me, the doctor put me on antibiotics and steroid and still nothing makes better. Went to another doc and was given meclizine and got my first night sleep with no spinning when turning over and not getting up feeling sick. This was a great feeling but I cannot take during the day or I would fall asleep at my desk. But I will take sleepy over my world spinning any day!”

Dizzy November 7, 2020

For Vertigo: “I came down with vertigo a week ago. I am taking meclizine. Have been for days now. I have been check out by a ear nose and throat doctor. They do not know what is wrong with me. But it doesn't feel like the dizziness is getting any better.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2012

For Vertigo: “I have Meniere's disease. When it hits I am on the floor in the bathroom nauseous for hours. I take meclizine at any indication that the Meniere's is acting up. It is a miracle for me. I have zero side effects. Not sleepy or groggy, and not dizzy or sick.”

JB930 August 8, 2009

For Vertigo: “I have had problems with vertigo, dizziness and just a sense of feeling unbalanced for about 15 years. Never really have found out what causes it, but many times have taken Bonine (meclizine)and one or both ears will pop and I will feel better. I have never had any side effects from this medication whatsoever and would recommend it. I am very susceptible to heart arrhythmia activity and this medication has never caused me any problems. ”

queen of hearts June 14, 2013

For Vertigo: “I could not lift my head off the pillow for two days. I was so nauseous and lightheaded. I finally went the doctor and he diagnosed my with BPPV and central vertigo. He gave me this medication and the next day I felt way better. I have had to take one every morning since. But it didn't make me really tired. Just a little sleepy. Hope this helps.”

Moe May 21, 2018

For Vertigo: “I took meclizine three nights in a row (only at night) after being diagnosed with BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). I thought the problem was getting worse, and then I realized it was just this medication. All I did was sleep all day, I felt drunk, and I had "medicine head." I had strange dreams that were extremely vivid, even during my daytime sleep. I only would take it at 9:00 pm, and the effects lasted until about 4:00 the following days. Well, the side effects did. The anti-dizziness did not - that stopped in about 9 hours. I am somewhat smaller and female. I am not sure if maybe the dose should be weight-dependent (from what people have said). I did not feel significantly less dizzy either. The most helpful thing that I have been doing are the Brandt Daroff exercises and vestibular rehabilitation exercises to get my eyes to work properly again. I've been dizzy for about 6 weeks, and within three days of doing these exercises, I feel much better.”