User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, Travel Sickness, Travel-Ease, Verticalm …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Meclizine.

Motion Sickness
8.7

Nausea/Vomiting
7.9

Vertigo
7.2

Summary of Meclizine reviews 8.0 144 reviews

Reviews for Meclizine

For Vertigo: "I used to have occasional bouts of severe vertigo. Started taking 12.5 mg of meclizine each night at bedtime and have had NO episodes in years. Vertigo is the sickest I have ever been. Disorientation, nausea, vomiting, crossed eyes, the whole gamut. I can't function without meclizine. It gets a 10 from me."

glasspro (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

For Vertigo: "My first episode of vertigo occurred 30 years ago. I still have "attacks" but less frequently. Eventually I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. I ALWAYS keep meclizine on hand at home and a few tabs in my purse. I woke up this morning feeling like I was listing to the left side, wobbly-headed. I took 25 mg meclizine, and 1 CoQ10 capsule (100 mg) which is used to treat vestibular migraines and seems to help with my vertigo. Will repeat the 25 mg meclizine every 6-8 hrs. If its really bad I add benadryl to the mix. Anxiety/stress, allergies, high barometric pressure, loud noise, too much caffeine/chocolate --- all negatively contribute to this horrible condition"

Toocutetobeold December 30, 2017

For Vertigo: "I've never had vertigo until several days ago. My husband forced me to see a dr. after I had fallen a few times and got car sick out of the blue. The Dr told me that's what I had, no big deal, it will work itself out. Prescribed zofran for the nausea and meclizine for the dizziness and lack of balance. He warned me to not take it until I got home because it may cause drowsiness. I took it early enough, thought I would have slept off the drowsy feeling but come to find out the side effects made me feel worse. I went to work anyway (I didn't drive) hoping it would wear off. I felt like I was high and drowsy, floating on a cloud, couldn't concentrate or focus on my job, was spacing out and day dreaming about nothing."

DazedNconfuZed November 10, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "Bonine is a game changer!!!! My husband & I have a 28 ft boat which my husband loves offshore fishing!! But I get terrible sea sickness! Even if it's less than a foot! Tried Dramamine and it never worked I would be green in less than an hour!! But then I discovered Bonine "God Sent" took 1 pill! The chewable & lasted all day fishing! Not too mention it was rough seas about 2 1/2 to 3 feet!! It was amazing!! So I'm sold definitely a Bonine fan. It was a game changer for me! This stuff truly work."

123blinky September 24, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "My sister and I have a long history of motion sickness: a rocking chair or porch swing is enough to set it off for us! This summer we took a trip to Jordan, Israel, Greece and Italy where we traveled on planes, buses, trains and ferries and rode in taxis, rented cars and jeeps--and camels and donkeys in the desert!--without any trouble at all, as long as we took our Bonine every morning. We can't say enough about this product's efficacy!"

KSparrow September 7, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "I have been on both a 5 day cruise and just returned from a 7 day cruise. Was introduced to Bonine on first cruise by a friend, also on the cruise, who provided the Bonine for all 4 "cruisers"; not one got seasick. This last 7 day cruise, I took my 14 yr old daughter who also did not get sick. It did make me a little drowsy so I skipped it one morning we were in port for the day. I forgot to take it when I re-boarded the boat and was feeling woozy and remembered I hadn't taken it that morning. I popped the Bonine and immediately felt fine. Have not heard of any friends being successful with prescribed seasick meds, and not one complaint taking the Bonine. Thank you Bonine for a fabulous 7 days!"

VickieJ. August 21, 2017

For Vertigo: "Had a bad neck adjustment and was taken to hospital to make sure it wasn't from a stroke that I got very dizzy. They said it was not and gave me this for the vertigo. I took half (12.5mg) the next morning when intense spinning started and it seemed to help and then 4 hours later spinning again :( so I took a whole 25 mg pill and though it did make the spinning stop I've been out of it ever since. I feel tired, off balance just "off" and strange in general and haven't gotten out of bed all weekend. I'm going to try a more natural remedy and exercises next."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

For Vertigo: "Woke up to a severe bout of VERTIGO. Had Meclizine on hand from post surgical dizziness. Took one 25mg Meclizine, my regular vit. supplements, anxiety meds of one 1mg Klonopin. Took about an hour but symptoms of vertigo are gone. Will see how it goes as the meds wear off and report back on results. I am sorry for any of you that are going through this malady."

WandaDe (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

For Motion Sickness: "Been dealing with motion sick type issues for years. Meclizine does not work, regardless of the dosage- even if taken at the first onset of symptoms. It has been totally useless for me. In fact, the only thing that does work is Diphenhydramine. Dramamine is NOT the same. It may have Diphenhydramine in it but they combine it with chlorotheophylline to reduce the sedative effects. It must alter the entire chemistry of it or something. They rename the active ingredient Dimenhydrinate, much less effective than Diphenhydramine or Benedryl... Anyways, I gave the Meclizine two stars because I never notice any adverse effects from it despite being very sensitive to medications... I know some people it works for, just not me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2017

For Vertigo: "I took one tablet before bed and when I woke up he next morning my eyes were red, my mouth and throatwere numb and I couldn't swallow anything. Now a few hours later my chest is hurting, all of which are labeled as serious side effects of this medication. I will be take Benadryl or something similar to help the fluid in my ears drain. Do not recommend this medication at all"

Kiki045733521132363 July 15, 2017

For Vertigo: "I had vertigo before my surgery it has came back with a vengeance after my surgery doc prescribed me the meclizine and boy it work wonders."

Feeling much better July 6, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "I took Bonine for sea sickness prevention. In the middle of the night, I had a seizure and was hospitalized for one day."

Lars2 May 27, 2017

For Vertigo: "I have had dizzy spells (vertigo) since 2006. I get them about every other month for a day and it is literally debilitating. I would rather have almost any pain than being dizzy. Yesterday around 5pm after work I started feeling weird ... I didn't take until it was bad around 6:30pm. Don't wait if you can help it. Trick is take it before gets worse. It worked around by about 7:30-8.00 pm I slept the entire night in a sitting up position. This morning I was ok. No effects just tired last night. The Dr told me to also move my head 3 times in a counter clockwise position each hour. You feel a little sick but better after."

Miss Dizzy May 20, 2017

For Vertigo: "I was having severe dizzy spells which I thought were due to another medication or condition. My PCP did a thorough exam for motion sickness and it sure did make me dizzy and queasy. He prescribed Meclizine and the problems subsided after about 48 hours. I'll be flying to the west coast tomorrow so will see if I feel lightheaded on the flight."

qmradio (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

For Motion Sickness: "I have tried meclazine as a prophylactic to motion sickness while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with mixed results. The first time out was a complete failure with severe nausea and vomiting accompanied by diarrhea. The second time was a little better, no diarrhea and limited vomiting but quite acute nausea. Won't use it again for this purpose, probably won't go out on the gulf anytime soon either, No noticeable side effects with either event."

RickyJoe48 April 30, 2017

For Vertigo: "I have had 2 cases of vertigo and both times ended up in the ER. I was given Meclizine and it takes about an hour to work, meanwhile, I am unable to stand up and vomiting at the same time. I had one case of vertigo at work at 2 am and had to be dropped off at ER. Meclizine does work, but it's too slow to take effect. I can't lose many more nights at work or I'll be fired. I need something that works faster."

irishcelticeyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2017

For Vertigo: "Have acute vertigo and meclizine does help MOST of the time after about 2 hrs."

englewood girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2017

For Vertigo: "I have been reading these reviews using Meclizine for dizziness. I have been on it for about a year {25mg} but don't seem any results. The one thing that I is missing is my problem . I have no problem walking, looking up or down or any of that. My problem is I can only lay on my left side, my back for a short time. but the right side is out, I become so dizzy I feel sick to my stomach even attempting to make me sick. As I said in the beginning the meclizine doesn't make a difference."

lefty only (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "I have had 2 middle ear operations. Half my coclea is gone so my equilibrium is constantly off.. very dizzy all the time! Bonine is a god send!"

Baby Gi (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2017

For Vertigo: "I feel very tired sleepy and my heart seems to be skipping a beat"

Swokin February 20, 2017

For Vertigo: "I was prescribed this back in October due to several days of dizziness. Doesn't help at all. After about 6 hours, the dizziness goes away but comes back the next day."

kkmaehrer (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: "This does nothing to me from what I can see. I take 25mg once daily for vertigo"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

For Vertigo: "I have suffered from several types of vertigo. I was advised by my doctor to use exercises by lying down and turning my head in different positions for a period of weeks. I tried this and they made me sicker immediately and didn't improve long term. I have been using meclizine for forty some years it is the only thing that allow me to function when the vertigo is on a rampage."

Lawjwcc November 24, 2016

For Vertigo: "I started taking this at the suggestion I read that 90 % of phobias start w the inner ear (google it) and I had been having ear issues. I was diagnosed with mineres diseases but also have agorophobia and anxiety too which often accompany ear issues. This doesn't cure anything but after being dizzy 24/7 for 2 straight weeks I went back on it. I went off it because it gave me headaches. But I am very anti med but taking this really helps me to about 70percent less dizzy"

Dizzy From Tennessee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: "This is great stuff. I've had vertigo for 48 years and this works better than the prescription medicine."

Bonobo November 9, 2016