User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Help I'm Nauseous, Medivert, Meclicot, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Travel Sickness, Antrizine, Dramamine II, D-Vert, Driminate II, Ru-Vert-M, Meni-D, Travel-Ease, Motion-Time, Sea-Calm, Verticalm …show all brand names

Motion Sickness
8.7

Nausea/Vomiting
8.1

Vertigo
7.2

Summary of Meclizine reviews 7.6 163 reviews

Reviews for Meclizine

For Vertigo: "It works as a diuretic, I urinate excessively , approximately half gallon over 12 hours when my dose is at least 25 to 50 mg. This comes in handy when I retained water and get off balance. It took me years to realize it was the meclizine that cause my excessive urination"

Deb (taken for 10 years or more) April 29, 2019

For Vertigo: "Meclizine is a super medicine for vertigo no side effects"

Mohamed April 15, 2019

Bonine (meclizine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Although bonine does not take all of the nausea away, it takes it away enough to avoid vomiting when the stomach bug is running its course. Although not indicated for gastroenteritis (aka "stomach flu"), I have used it on many occasions as I own a business; and any day not at work is lost income. Note- Dramamine, another motion sickness medicine, works even better in my opinion."

sfckusarmy (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I get horrible nausea when I have migraines, the symptom ends up being worse for me than the actual head pain. I usually just tough it out but I remembered that my doctor had prescribed me meclizine when I first started having them and it worked great back then. Within a few minutes of taking this, I could breathe again! I get really bad anxiety when it comes to vomiting so my blood pressure went down too. Definitely going to be a regular in my medicine cabinet."

CaptainCoolios (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2019

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: "Was prescribed for severe vertigo following a TBI that left me with vision issues. Only thing that makes it possible for me to function. No problems with drowsiness. Been taking daily for 2+years. Tried to use OTC but ended up falling multiple times. My vertigo is constant and ranges from where I feel like I'm spinning or like the whole world is on a roller coaster."

Old biddy January 2, 2019

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: "I had vertigo that presented atypically with swaying rather than spinning. I took antivert for over a month, up to 3x per day, under doctor supervision before weaning off of it. It worked really well. No side effects, not drowsy the way that Dramamine is. I will take again if I have vertigo again."

Kat (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: "Within this past week I came down with laryngitis, a sinus and respiratory infection and ears filled with fluid. My PCP gave me 250mg Ceftin twice daily. That helped clear my chest and sinus infection within 3 days but I still had this lingering vertigo where I just did not feel right. Went to urgent care, the doc said ears were filled to the brim with fluid so he gave me prednisone for my ears and antivert for the vertigo. I took one 25mg tab and I can say it is quite noticeable how normal I feel again. I'm a bigger man so the drowsiness hasn't hit me as hard but I would fully recommend this to anyone with vertigo!"

Aaron (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2018

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "Works good but after 24 hours, need to sleep for at least 8 hours. OBTW - I have a USCG (US coast guard) license and it specifically prohibits taking Bonine within 24 hours of operating a vessel for hire. Kinda stupid rule if you ask me. Seems like a seasick captain would not be a good idea!"

Colt45 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 22, 2018

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: "I've never taken bonine but I know it's the generic of dramamine which is the generic for meclizine that I do take. I had my first attack of vertigo when I was 27 now I'm thirty and it has come again all of a sudden. The first time I took meclizine it worked like a charm but now that I'm starting on it again I haven't felt anything but drowsy. I hope it works like it did 3 years ago but this time I'm going to stay on it much longer than I did the last time."

A.K June 30, 2018

For Vertigo: "I have taken this drug for 15 years 2 pills in am and 2 in pm. Before the drug I could not walk or ride in a car without becoming woozie. I am 72 yrs old and this drug for me has been a life saver. I am able to play with my grand kids and ride in a car for a longer period of time. I can not speak for anyone else, but for me I'm glad it's available."

Blondi (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2018

For Vertigo: "I took meclizine three nights in a row (only at night) after being diagnosed with BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). I thought the problem was getting worse, and then I realized it was just this medication. All I did was sleep all day, I felt drunk, and I had "medicine head." I had strange dreams that were extremely vivid, even during my daytime sleep. I only would take it at 9:00 pm, and the effects lasted until about 4:00 the following days. Well, the side effects did. The anti-dizziness did not - that stopped in about 9 hours. I am somewhat smaller and female. I am not sure if maybe the dose should be weight-dependent (from what people have said). I did not feel significantly less dizzy either. The most helpful thing that I have been doing are the Brandt Daroff exercises and vestibular rehabilitation exercises to get my eyes to work properly again. I've been dizzy for about 6 weeks, and within three days of doing these exercises, I feel much better."

Moe May 21, 2018

For Motion Sickness: "I really don't feel any better but I have only been on it for 4 days it will take sometime to get into my body I guess. I go see my doctor here soon."

Chrissy (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2018

For Vertigo: "Three weeks ago I went to the Hospital with light headed, dizziness, my heart was beating fast the left side of my body was numb, I was not able to get out of bed due to no control of my legs and my vision was blurry and out of focus. I had a cat scan, an MRI, blood work and EKG and I was there for a week. Final outcome was that in my MRI they saw something on my left side of my face but that my right side was cleared, I had no blockage or any kind of clots the Dr. told my husband and I that he thinks that I had a mild stroke and the outcome of it is Vertigo... He prescribed me Meclizine 25MG 3x a day my symptoms are still there face still gets numb, blurry vision, my hands shake a lot, I get dizziness and some mornings I have not been able to get out of bed due to not being able to control my motions. What I can say is taking this medicine helps me out, I am not going to tell you that it fixes it but it eases and makes it easier for me to cope with Vertigo and my daily routine."

Yoli April 12, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I suffer from chronic stomach migraines and this drug helps me within a half hour, meaning I can move around and get things done instead of laying down and holding still just hoping it goes away. Life changer."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2018

For Vertigo: "My ears have been hurting and become stuffy off and on lately and I am also dizzy from it. I tried some meclazine (one dose of 25mg) and it hasn't done anything since I took it last night. I used to take it for morning sickness and it sort of worked then, so I assumed it would work for actual dizziness. I was wrong."

No Use March 30, 2018

For Vertigo: "This stuff put my mom in the hospital for six days. They initially thought she had a stroke. Do not use in elderly patients!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

For Vertigo: "I have only taken this twice for vertigo due to fluid in my ears. Once last night after I was prescribed it and once this morning when I got to work (stupid idea). It does make me feel grounded and the rocking sensation I’ve been feeling goes away but it makes me so tired. (Like first trimester of pregnancy tired.) I’m wondering if taking half a dose will work better for me. I can’t sleep all the time. I have a two year old to chase around! I definitely don’t recommend taking this during the day."

Danielle (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2018

For Vertigo: "Had vertigo due to crystals bouncing around in my inner ear. Dr prescribed MeClizine 25 mg every six hours until I was able to do 3 sessions of Therapy to get my crystals back where they needed to be. 15 minutes after taking a tablet I could walk and not fall. The spinning slowed down and then the nausea would stop. I was so thankful my Dr prescribed MeClizine during this time. I don’t know how much more I could take of feeling like a spinning wheel."

VolGirl65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

For Vertigo: "I have acute attacks of vertigo and always keep this medication on hand. I have found that it works better if you take it before the episode occurs. For example, I always have an attack when I go swimming but if I take it before I go to the beach I am fine, if I wait until the attack occurs it doesn't work as well. That being said, the drug will sometimes cause heart palpitations, gives me a headache, and causes a strange mental fog that makes it hard to concentrate or carry on a conversation with anyone, it also makes me irritable."

Natalie G January 27, 2018

For Vertigo: "I used to have occasional bouts of severe vertigo. Started taking 12.5 mg of meclizine each night at bedtime and have had NO episodes in years. Vertigo is the sickest I have ever been. Disorientation, nausea, vomiting, crossed eyes, the whole gamut. I can't function without meclizine. It gets a 10 from me."

glasspro (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

For Vertigo: "My first episode of vertigo occurred 30 years ago. I still have "attacks" but less frequently. Eventually I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. I ALWAYS keep meclizine on hand at home and a few tabs in my purse. I woke up this morning feeling like I was listing to the left side, wobbly-headed. I took 25 mg meclizine, and 1 CoQ10 capsule (100 mg) which is used to treat vestibular migraines and seems to help with my vertigo. Will repeat the 25 mg meclizine every 6-8 hrs. If its really bad I add benadryl to the mix. Anxiety/stress, allergies, high barometric pressure, loud noise, too much caffeine/chocolate --- all negatively contribute to this horrible condition"

Toocutetobeold December 30, 2017

For Vertigo: "I've never had vertigo until several days ago. My husband forced me to see a dr. after I had fallen a few times and got car sick out of the blue. The Dr told me that's what I had, no big deal, it will work itself out. Prescribed zofran for the nausea and meclizine for the dizziness and lack of balance. He warned me to not take it until I got home because it may cause drowsiness. I took it early enough, thought I would have slept off the drowsy feeling but come to find out the side effects made me feel worse. I went to work anyway (I didn't drive) hoping it would wear off. I felt like I was high and drowsy, floating on a cloud, couldn't concentrate or focus on my job, was spacing out and day dreaming about nothing."

DazedNconfuZed November 10, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "Bonine is a game changer!!!! My husband & I have a 28 ft boat which my husband loves offshore fishing!! But I get terrible sea sickness! Even if it's less than a foot! Tried Dramamine and it never worked I would be green in less than an hour!! But then I discovered Bonine "God Sent" took 1 pill! The chewable & lasted all day fishing! Not too mention it was rough seas about 2 1/2 to 3 feet!! It was amazing!! So I'm sold definitely a Bonine fan. It was a game changer for me! This stuff truly work."

123blinky September 24, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "My sister and I have a long history of motion sickness: a rocking chair or porch swing is enough to set it off for us! This summer we took a trip to Jordan, Israel, Greece and Italy where we traveled on planes, buses, trains and ferries and rode in taxis, rented cars and jeeps--and camels and donkeys in the desert!--without any trouble at all, as long as we took our Bonine every morning. We can't say enough about this product's efficacy!"

KSparrow September 7, 2017

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "I have been on both a 5 day cruise and just returned from a 7 day cruise. Was introduced to Bonine on first cruise by a friend, also on the cruise, who provided the Bonine for all 4 "cruisers"; not one got seasick. This last 7 day cruise, I took my 14 yr old daughter who also did not get sick. It did make me a little drowsy so I skipped it one morning we were in port for the day. I forgot to take it when I re-boarded the boat and was feeling woozy and remembered I hadn't taken it that morning. I popped the Bonine and immediately felt fine. Have not heard of any friends being successful with prescribed seasick meds, and not one complaint taking the Bonine. Thank you Bonine for a fabulous 7 days!"

VickieJ. August 21, 2017