User Reviews for Compazine

Anxiety
3.2

Summary of Compazine reviews 3.6 83 reviews

Reviews for Compazine

For Anxiety "Was given this medicine through an IV with a cocktail of other drugs to treat my headache because I got a concussion and was in the ER. Gave me a severe panic attack, I woke up crying and wailing around wanting to rip the IV out of my arm. I could not sleep, felt as if I was suffocating and could not breathe or get enough air. That night I went home I could not sleep without severe anxiety and my heart racing like crazy. Still felt as if I could not breathe. Woke up this morning and felt the same but not as severe. could not sit still and felt extremely restless or do anything normal and have been looking up to see if these symptoms are normal and am not surprised to see that many other people experience this too with compazine. I don't know when I will go back to normal but STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2018

"I went to the ER for a migraine and was given this medication combined with benadryl. It basically induced a panic attack and I felt as if I couldn't breathe properly. It was awful especially as I wasn't anxious about being in the ER, but after taking compazine I just wanted to leave."

Ruth (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "My mother had a colonoscopy and had a vocal chord spasm which caused her to cough during it. They gave her some medicine (don't remember the name) to help dry up her secretions and calm down the coughing. This made her chest tight, painful, and made her feel nauseous after she got home. I took her to the ER, she is allergic to Reglan, so they gave her a mix of benadryl and compazine for nausea. Within 5 minutes she was jittering around and felt like she wanted to rip her IVs out and run home. Her anxiety skyrocketed and her heart rate went up to 154 bpms. It wasn't until they gave her Ativan that her heart rate went down and she was able to calm down. We got sent home & she was still anxious and fidgeting around for about 4 hours until she finally fell asleep. She woke up and still felt a little anxious & fidgety but not near as bad as last night. One of the worst experiences she & I have ever had and she is going to have it put as she is allergic so she never has to be through it again."

anonymous November 29, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Had this for nausea, the reaction to it was delayed so it took a long time to figure out what was causing the violent reactions, I was finally told it was all psychosomatic aka all in my head ! Would get muscle spasms started in the left arm then traveled to my face and jaw, if I could catch it fast enough I could put a towel between my teeth but did thousands of dollars of damage with breaking off teeth !! After it subsided my whole face looked crooked and my jaw did not line up right for days. Highly dangerous stuff."

MrsMack (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I've taken Compazine several separate times over the years. It always works well for me (when Zofran isn't enough) and I've not had any of the bad side effects others mention. It works for nausea as well as irresolvable headache (with Benadryl). I feel bad for people who have such awful side effects. I get it; I have awful reactions to any opioid pain reliever which makes surgery a real problem."

headache girl (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2018

For Anxiety "I went in to ER for a migraine and was given this. Immediately a rash developed on my arm and I felt like I was going crazy! I felt as if someone was trying to kill me and I had to get out of that room! I NEVER had anxiety in my life. Didn’t realize that is what caused it until my 2nd ER visit months later the same thing happened. Did some research and spoke to my Dr and was told it was the compazine! It is now listed as an allergy in my chart. I felt like I was full blown psychotic! Lasted for a couple of days until I felt normal again. This med should be recalled!"

Scottcampers (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I'm just getting this medicine for a headache cocktail. And let me tell you I wanted to jump out of my own skin I have never felt anything like it it was absolutely horrible do not let them give you this medicine especially if you have anxiety which I have and they knew that because I told them absolutely horrible like your legs have bugs all in them and they're just crawling everywhere never ever again!!!!"

Babyjgirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Experiencing all the horror stories I've read so far, still experiencing them since yesterday. When does this go away. I took 3 doses orally."

DD (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Reading all the posts make me feel less crazy. I highly advice everyone to not take this medication. I have anxiety and I have panic attacks, so I thought it was just me but I have never had one come on so terribly for no reason. Then I realized it was the medication. I was given that with benadryl through an IV. Within 30 minutes I was restless. I panicked. I had an overwhelming feeling to rip out my IV and run. I wanted to be home. I was crying hysterically begging to go home. My teeth wouldn't stop chattering and I couldn't stop wiggling around. It was a very bad and overwhelming experience. The practitioner then let us know that can happen with this medication. I also learned it's for anxiety and schizophrenia but I don't understand how when it makes you feel so very upset and out of body. I will never take this again."

Tabitha (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I went to the ER with a migraine and nausea/vomiting. I saw the doctor and then the nurse brought a medication into my room, Compazine. Then they wheeled me over to get a CT scan. That’s when things went all bad. Sitting there, in the hallway on the gurney I began having this overwhelming feeling of anxiety/panic! The problem was, my body felt like I couldn’t move, like there was a disconnect from my mind and my body. After the CT scan I was back in the room. All I could think about was when I can get out of that ED and when those feelings of anxiety would stop! It was literally, the worst feeling in the world, so hard to describe, but I have never felt so uncomfortable and anxious, yet unable to do anything about it. I wanted to rip out my IV and run out of the ASAP! It took an entire 3 DAYS before I started to feel “normal” again! It was torture. Worst experience. Never, ever take Compazine if you can avoid it. I now have Compazine listed as an allergy."

Anonymous August 27, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "When to the ER for migraine and Lyme Disease joint pain. I was given Compazine and immediately had a dystonic reaction!! My whole jaw locked up and my body was twitching and restless legs. The Dr ordered Benadryl stat and eventually the symptoms slowed down. They kept me overnight due to the reaction I had. I will never ever have this drug again. Everywhere I go I say I’m highly allergic to Compazine (prochlorperazine). Be careful with this drug."

Anonymous August 17, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was given this for nausea & a migraine. It did not help me with either, but made me anxious and I felt like my skin was crawling. I've never experienced anything like that. I was ready to pull the IV out myself & escape from the room if they didn't hurry up and discharge me. I've never had a response to a medicine like that before, and it was absolutely awful. Worst hour if my life."

Anonymous August 15, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I went to the ER for a migraine that was causing me to vomit every 15-30 min and eventually threw my heart rate out of rhythm. They gave me IV saline and compazine. I have mixed feelings because it worked like a miracle for the nausea, but within minutes I felt like my skin was crawling and I would die if I couldn't get out of there right away. It was like restless legs but all throughout my body. I only waited about another hour to get discharged but it was the longest hour of my life, just absolutely miserable. My mom was with me and said the effect came on visibly, quickly, and a bit scarily. The drug did what it was intended to, but the side effect was bad enough that I don't think I will ever take it again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2018

For Anxiety "I suffered a TIA (transient ischaemic attack), my biggest complaint was migraine and I lost control of the left side of my body. The dr in the ER gave me compazine, and it was worse experience of my life. I don’t think they believed I was having a TIA, but it was confirmed by a neurologist months later. As soon as the compazine hit me, I felt like I would pull out my IV and jump out a window. I never felt this desperate before. I will never forget this experience. I’m so annoyed that drs in the ER refused to address my mini stroke. If you are a woman, be careful you are not dismissed as lying or having “anxiety”. I suffered a heart attack months later. There was no good reason for them to give compazine."

Reese (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I went to the hospital due to a severe migraine and nausea. I was given compazine via I.V. Oh dear! I immediately began having chattering teeth, severe anxiety, and uncontrollable clenching of teeth. I also could not remain still, as if I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could. I called the nurse in and the response was oh, yeah you feel kinda outta of it? Well yes it will pass don't worry" ARE YOU SERIOUS RIGHT NOW! It's just by the grace of God that I got home safely. My teeth continued to chatter, and could not sit still! I had to go back to the ER to get medicine to counter the side effects. I feel a little better now. Day 2 and still feel out of it. I WILL NEVER TAKE compazine again!"

Me (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I have very mixed feelings about this medicine. It is a secondary anti-nausea medicine to ondansetron (zofran). If I am having a rough day due to my chemo, I occasionally will need a compazine to help. It does work and does the job well. The issue is if your body is constantly getting this medicine. I was needing it more frequently in the hospital and was getting it via IV due to how much better IV meds absorb in my system. The big issue is after a few days of this, it made me extremely lethargic and feel mega confused. I could barely move in the hospital room and felt as if I was drunk. I needed to get out of the room and walk around to feel somewhat normal. It was a horrible feeling, one that I got them to give me more zolfran and take me off of compazine while in the hospital, because of how confused I got. I still take it occasionally to help with the zolfran, but only occasionally. Using it more than that seems to cause these horrid side effects, especially via IV."

JB (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was given compazine for extreme vomiting and it literally made me have an out of body experience. I could see my body in the hospital bed but it felt like I was getting up and waking away from the bed so I kept holding on to the railing of the bed. It was horrible. I felt like I was two people and I had no control over my body. I would never take this medicine again."

DD (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I am nine weeks pregnant and I went into the hospital last night with severe nausea and vomiting I hadn’t eaten anything for almost 3 days and was down 5 pounds. I was having a migraine from dehydration and they gave me IV Compazine and within four minutes I was feeling like I wanted step out of my own body, I had severe anxiety I felt like I wanted to rip out my IV and run home as fast as I could. I had this overwhelming sense of being so unbelievably uncomfortable that I couldn’t close my eyes because I was so panicky and so shaky so uncomfortable I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. I will absolutely never take this medication again it’s been almost 24 hours since that medication was given to me and I’m just now starting to feel back to my old self again needless to say I’m on Zofran now for my nausea and you couldn’t pay me to take Compazine again ."

Britt June 11, 2018

For Anxiety "About a year ago I went in to the ER for nausea and headaches they gave me Compazine through my IV almost instantly my heart was racing to the point I almost passed out I was screaming for help. How does one get over the fear of taking medicine once something like this has happened to them?"

Marie91 June 7, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I cannot believe all of these totally horrible experiences with compazine. I was given in my IV for severe nausea and I had absolutely no side effects what so ever. I have taken another one now that I am home before I went to bed, again no problems or side effects at all. Hard to believe so many people are having such severe reactions?"

Miss (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "I have been given Compazine in my IV and it was one of the most horrible experiences in my life! It almost immediately made me very anxious, I wanted to pull my IV out and just get out of the hospital! I felt zombie like and my face went numb. I the side effects like these for about 3 days! Never again will I take compazine!"

Angel (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For Psychosis "The first time I was given IV compazine I pulled my IV out and fled the hospital! The second time I actually called my nurse and told him how I felt and he said has seen it before with compazine and the doctor gave me IV benedryl which almost took the scared antsy panic feeling awake but made me a complete zombie. I will never again be a doctors guinea pig!"

OahLort (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Literally had the same symptoms as everyone on here is explaining, 2 days after and still feeling the effects. I literally feel like I’m dying and my headache is still there."

Jlhp418 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Was given this medication as a pill when I was in the hospital for migraines at 15 years old. I took it for two days, and it did not seem to do anything for my headache, but on the third day I started to develop extremely uncomfortable symptoms. My jaw began to slide to the left and lock in place, then my neck began to contort to the side. My heart was racing and I had no control over my muscles. I went to the ER and they told me it was a dystonic reaction, and fairly common for this medication. They gave me 50 mg of Benadryl and immediately my muscles began to go back to normal. I still have nerve/muscles problems today that I believe were caused by this medication. I do not know why it has not been banned yet DO NOT take it."

del98 February 18, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting "Went to emergency for cluster migrain headache; given compazine by injection and had an immediate allergic reaction. Felt like I wanted to jump outside my skin; intense burning sensation and panic mode. Woke up the next day with catastrophic tinnitus. Health went downhill with side effects of Neutropenia. Wasted away from 150lbs to 110lbs. RATING 1"

Petrov (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018