User Reviews for Compazine

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Compazine.

Psychosis

Nausea/Vomiting
4.1

Summary of Compazine reviews 4.7 53 reviews

Reviews for Compazine

For Nausea/Vomiting "Was given compazine for the first time in the ER. It was mixed in a cocktail for my headache. After 3 minutes I started feeling uneasy and I started to have a full in panic attack, I’ve never felt that in my life! I ripped my IV out of my arm and started kicking the walls and stomping , they thought I was insane! I told them it was the medicine , they didn’t do anything just released me and I felt like my skin was crawling for 3 days. Was the absolute worst experience of my whole life !"

Abbyhijabi November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I took this during my first trimester of pregnancy for nausea. It worked wonders for about two days. On the third day I started to feel strange at work and took a break. My forehead and throat felt like they were tightening. I decided to go home and about halfway there I felt my jaw forcing itself to the left while my top teeth forcing to the right. I couldn’t control my face or tongue whatsoever. I should have went to the emergency room but instead I decided to call it a day and try to fall asleep. I didn’t fall asleep until 2am or so when the flexes in my face finally subsided. Strangest experience of my life. My neck and jaw were so sore for days afterwards."

1aurafu September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Psychosis "After having had to take steroids for severe asthma all of my life I have been dealing with a very horrible side effects of psychosis on steroids. Unfortunately there are many people in the medical field he still do not know how to deal with that. I have learned to ask for Compazine and have been able to take small amounts to get back to a straight playing with my mental health and survive the hospitalization and the several weeks afterwards when I'm having to cut down the prednisones back to nothing. It has saved my life and has probably saved a few hospitalizations because a lot of people don't know how to deal with someone who says high doses of Cortizone make me psychotic. My long-term doctors know it but short term hospitalization Compazine saves me from all sorts of other issues that could come up that I've already dealt with in the last 64 years."

Sidly (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Given this medication for a headache 3 weeks ago still feeling side effects! Very restless, insomnia,irrational thoughts, I feel like I've lost touch in reality! It's horrible! I wish they would've told me before they put it in me through IV! If anyone please knows what to do to fall back in to reality please share"

Gabrielaa21 July 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "Worst experience ever!!! I had almost everyone's HORRIBLE side effects . Do not use this. I was given through an infusion with 50 mg benadryl and toradol. Never again!!!!"

Rabonka06 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was in and out of the ER due to migraines and on the last day they gave me a prescription of Compazine. The next day when I took it I laid down to take a nap and woke up struggling to breath. My throat was closing and I could barely talk. I went into a full blown panic attack and called the ambulance. They gave me 3 different shots of something I can't remember and rushed me to the hospital. My jaw felt locked like I clinching my teeth hard together by the time I got to the hospital. I was shaking uncontrollably and crying hysterically. After I was discharged I came home and chugged some childrens benadryl and took some xanax and felt the side effect slowly go away. I have never in my felt so scared."

NelBenally (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "My wife was administered Compazine after receiving chemo to relieve nausea symptoms. Within 12 hours, she became restless, irritable, felt like her muscles were being ripped out of her body, it caused her to have a 103 fever and diarrhea, coupled with the chemo almost killed her. She ended up in the ICU unconscious and almost died. Our team of doctors told us the was a rare occurrence. From reading the other reviews, and witnessing this first-had. I would advise anyone, if offered this drug to decline. It was truly the biggest nightmare of my wife's life. On the scale of 1-10 above this survey asked to select how effective this medicine was. Therefor we would give it a 0=ZERO."

JMG18 March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was given compazine through the IV for nausea and vomiting while admitted. It was an absolute nightmare that still makes me feel pure fear when I think about it. I thought I was going to die. At first, my legs just felt restless which I thought I was just having some anxiety, but then it really hit. I couldn't get my body to cool down, I started vomiting, then lost control of my bowels in front of the nurses. This lasted over six hours until they finally gave me something that knocked me out until it was over. I thought I was going to die. It scared both my partner who was there and myself to the point that I am now scared to take anymore medications fearing a similar reaction. They should really warn people about this drug."

dharrison52 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "Reading the effects some folks have had brings me right back to 1993. I was 2 months pregnant with my son, who is now 23. I was vomiting so badly and was given compazine as a suppository. It worked wonders for the first 2 days. My 3rd day was a trip to HELL! I was on the phone with my mom and my words started slurring. I then started having uncontrollable muscle spasms in my face. My upper and lower jaw started moving in opposite directions so severely that I had to hold my face in place screaming in pain! My husband had to rush me to the ER in the middle of a snow storm. It was a horrific experience and I can not believe that this drug still exists! I was told that compazine is used as a component in other drugs, BEWARE!"

Toni Ann S. February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was talking to my sister about my bad reaction to a medication I took 15 years ago called Compazine. I took this prescribed medicine while at home. I remember my experience like it was yesterday. At first I felt a twitching in my jaws. All at once, my bottom jaw started going to the right, and my top jaw started going to the left. I could not stop it and I could not talk. In fact, my jaw felt like it was trying to break off my face. I remember the emotional and physical pain. Me and my husband were both crying, because we both didn't understand what was happening! My husband ended up taking me to another clinic, and they admitted me at once. So BEWARE! Just from talking - I found out this same medication hurt my sister just last year."

Mahbulla (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "This is the only medication I have ever been given in my ENTIRE life that has made me literally want to rip out my IV and run out of the ER. I was given this in the ER to curb the side effects of my lumbar puncture. I have anxiety and RLS so in the beginning I thought I was just experiencing a minor panic attack. I felt so restless that I had to go to the bathroom just to do something with myself. When I got back to the bed I immediately told my gf that I wanted to leave. Was pushing the call light. And damn near left screaming. I flipped my shot on the doctor and he said this was a common side effect. I told him I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack and he gave me Benadryl and some kind of benzo. Absolutely horrid."

Anonnnnnnnnnnn January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Went to the ER for a headache along with depression and was given compazine threw an IV an has been feeling detached from reality every since last year of november anybody else feels this way after taking this medicine and what do I need to do to get back to NORMAL all I do is cry and wonder why the doctors didnt warn me before taking this "

Jessica6654 December 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "They gave me this medication via IV in the ER for a very intense migraine and extreme nausea, I would never recommend this medication to anyone ever, the second it was pushed through, I started having an extreme panic attack, something like I have never felt before, like a huge wave of doom rushed over me, I started freaking out so badly I almost ripped my IV out and ran away, it was so traumatizing to me that they pushed a big dose of Ativan though my IV just to knock me out, I truly thought I was dying... And after all that it felt like my skin was crawling for a good 32 hours. No, thank you. Never again will allow this in my body."

Never. Again. (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I had been suffering from severe nausea and vomiting on and off including migraine, fever and flank pain. It was my second time in the ER so they gave me compazine and I'd never had it, it relieved my nausea and migraine but I started feeling so restless I was freaking out, like I wanted to rip out my iv and leave and run away. Then they told me it's a side effect and I already suffered from severe anxiety it made it 1000x worse. I had the worst time trying to sleep, then had the weirdest dreams of my life. They gave me Morphine shortly after which calmed me a little and took the rest of my pain away but I was hoping it'd honestly put me out. 24hrs layer and I still feel that restlessness in my body but it's so much better than it was."

Ahri (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Had this in a "headache cocktail" last night when I went into ER for an intense migraine with garbled speech. NEVER again. I have never appreciated a headache more because by comparison it was so much better than the side effects of Compazine. It made me a crazy person in full blown panic attack mode. I was trying to pull out the IV and run away. I felt doom and dread and mental anguish. I was yelling and just trying to figure out a way to kill myself (literally) if the mental pain and confusion didn't stop soon. Luckily the terror didn't last long because three nurses came in and gave me more benedryl which counteracted or at least knocked me out. I am a bit traumatized by the experience but feel alot better today."

tinapeeps (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "Had a severe allergic reaction to compazine which was given to me to treat nausea, unable to breathe, throat closed had to be rushed to hospital. and it didn't stop the vomiting"

1750babs (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "The absolute worst experience with an antiemetic I have ever had. I literally panicked in the hospital to the point I almost pulled my iv out. Zofran stopped working for my hyperemesis gravidum...but I would rather live with nausea vomiting day in and out then feel the uncontrolled anxiety and restlessness I felt with compazine!"

Horrible (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was taking zofran for years for severe nausea. During a hospital stay I was given Reglan and had horrible hallucinations and my skin was crawling like some people in the reviews had with Prochlorperazine. However Zofran stopped working for me during the last bout of nausea so my doc gave me Prochlorperazine which helped tremendously and thankfully I had no side effects."

Nana Dee August 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I've been taking Compazine for years for nausea due to stomach problems. I have never had any side effects and it completely gets rid of my nausea. Best antiemetic for me."

Ladyjane12345 July 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "If i could rate this lower than a 1 I would. Worst. Experience. Of my life. I had severe nausea from a dental infection in the hospital and the doctors gave me compazine through IV. I don't even know when this happened but I had a crazy out of body experience. I saw myself laying in my bed and had NO idea where I was. I thought I was in Arizona at first at a hotel and then freaked out because I had no clue who the people in the room were (my parents, my regular nurses). The room spun and then I vomited everywhere. It was horrifying. I was nauseous for about twelve more hours and then had hallucinations. I saw people walking in and out of my hospital room that I knew damn well weren't real or there.DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG."

mmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmm July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I went to the ER for stomach pains and nausea. I am allergic to so many pain medicines that there is little I can take. They gave me compazine and as they put it in my iv they told me it could cause severe anxiety in some people. Well I can tell you now, it was horrific. I have had one major panic attack in my life and this was 20 times worse. I started pulling off my clothes and ripped the iv out. They had to give me a big dose of Benedryl to "reverse" the effects. Please please think twice and consider other choices before taking this!"

SPha May 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I took this for my extreme amount of nausea causing anxiety. It did wonders for my nausea! It was wonderful and like a miracle. Until the 3rd time I took it... I had the worst experience of my life. My jaw got locked and stuck to one side, my eyes got locked looking upwards and I couldn't move them, my jaw felt as if it was trying to break itself and was so painful . I ended up sticking my finger down my throat to make myself vomit up the drug. It continued to lock my jaw up off and on for the next 48 hours. Never again. Be careful of the side effects. Worked wonders for my nausea and vomiting, but I would rather be throwing up than experiences those side effects"

Hannah36910 May 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was given this through an IV in the ER. I had terrible nausea and Zofran didn't touch it. Even though compazine did take my nausea away, it left me incredibly groggy yet restless. I spent the entire rest of the day in a haze. I've never abused drugs but I would imagine this is how you would feel when coming off of some sort of high yet it lasts all day long. I kept feeling angry and anxious as well. I would much rather have nausea and will never take this medicine again!"

Jennna May 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "I was given this medication to help with the side effects of Chemo and radiation and it was ok the first day but as the days went on I began to feel irritated groggy and EXTREMELY restless but I was really tired like super tired. It kept me so drained that I slept for 22 hours! Almost all the side effects mentioned above (or below) I experienced them too. I will NEVER take this again! I rather be nauseous!!"

HunnieBunz May 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting "Went to the ER twice with a severe migraine, both times given Compazine. It definitely helps with relieving the pain but the side effects out weigh it for me. Felt like my skin was crawling, restlessness, skin rash, dry mouth, anxiety (triggered a panic attack both times), brought up a lot of bad thoughts of how I was dying. Long term, rebound headache, insomnia, loss of appetite. Also had it with Benadryl once and that scared me."

saaaaaaaam February 21, 2016