Prochlorperazine use while Breastfeeding
Drugs containing Prochlorperazine: Compazine, Compro, Compazine Spansule, Procot
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 31, 2018.
Prochlorperazine Levels and Effects while Breastfeeding
Summary of Use during Lactation
Based on minimal excretion of other phenothiazine derivatives, it appears that occasional short-term use of prochlorperazine for the treatment of nausea and vomiting poses little risk to the breastfed infant.
Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects in Breastfed Infants
Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.
Effects on Lactation and Breastmilk
Galactorrhea has been reported with prochlorperazine. Hyperprolactinemia appears to be the cause of the galactorrhea. The hyperprolactinemia is caused by the drug's dopamine-blocking action in the tuberoinfundibular pathway. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.
1. Hooper JH Jr, Welch VC, Shackelford RT. Abnormal lactation associated with tranquilizing drug therapy. JAMA. 1961;178:506-7. PMID: 14448766
2. Turkington RW. Prolactin secretion in patients treated with various drugs: phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, reserpine, and methyldopa. Arch Intern Med. 1972;130:349-54. PMID: 4560178
3. Turkington RW. Serum prolactin levels in patients with gynecomastia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1972;34:62-6. PMID: 5061776
4. Meltzer HY, Fang VS. The effect of neuroleptics on serum prolactin in schizophrenic patients. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1976;33:279-86. PMID: 1259521
5. Maguire GA. Prolactin elevation with antipsychotic medications: mechanisms of action and clinical consequences. J Clin Psychiatry. 2002;63(suppl 4):56-62. PMID: 11913677
CAS Registry Number
LactMed Record Number
Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about prochlorperazine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 162 Reviews
- Drug class: phenothiazine antiemetics
- FDA Alerts (1)
- Prochlorperazine rectal
- Prochlorperazine Injection
- Prochlorperazine Suppositories
- Prochlorperazine Tablets
- ... +2 more