User Reviews for Prochlorperazine

Also known as: Compro

Prochlorperazine has an average rating of 2.8 out of 10 from a total of 319 ratings on Drugs.com. 17% of those users who reviewed Prochlorperazine reported a positive effect, while 76% reported a negative effect.

Nausea/Vomiting
Anxiety
2.1
Psychosis
Hiccups  Off-label
Summary of Prochlorperazine reviews 2.8 319 reviews

Reviews for Prochlorperazine

AmyNicki · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “Never EVER again. I had just gotten back to my inpatient room after having my KIDNEY removed. I was gutted like a fish and in a lot of pain. I was having some nausea due to surgery messing with my IBD. She put Compazine in my IV and I immediately sat up and screamed "What did you give me??" I was literally crawling out of my skin and started with this full body restless leg thing and could not stop moving. Which was horrible because I had JUST come out of surgery and had multiple abdominal incisions. It went on for hours, sleep was out of the question and they didn't bother to speak with the Pharmacy to see if there was something that could reverse it or alleviate the symptoms. The resident was like "Gee- Not sure what that's all about". I later told my PCP and she immediately listed it as an allergy in my chart. Never. Ever. Again.”

Cbenn77 · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I was given this for a migraine storm, and it made me cry pull out my IV. All I wanted was my husband and they would not let him back in. I am still extremely nervous. This stuff should be outlawed.”

Selenamarie01 · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the er for an ear problem and they diagnosed me with a migraine which I kept telling them I didn’t have but they didn’t listen they gave me this drug with some Benadryl and I will never take it again I already had anxiety and I was finally not having the panic attacks anymore and after this drug my anxiety came back I just wanted out of the hospital I felt like a zombie if I got up to walk the effort it took to walk was the worst feeling ever it’s been 18 hours since I took it and I’m still not sitting still or breathing correctly after I left the hospital I could not sleep I kept fighting it my heart rate was sky rocketed for over 6 hours and thought I was just gonna collapse anytime I hope this wears off soon because I can’t keep feeling like this.”

Evey · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I went to ER twice for migraines and both times they gave me compazine. The worst experience of my life. I felt like I was gonna tear the walls down like I just wanted to tell everyone to shut up, I couldn’t stand the noise or the talking. I couldn’t even stand my phone ringing and me having to answer, I didn’t even want to text. Now I suffer from severe anxiety and I have never felt so restless, agitated, anxious. I thought I was gonna pull my hair out. Since I drove my self to ER I had to drive myself back which I made it home but while home I wanted to just jump out of my window I took one Benedryl and it didn’t help, it just made me feel more restless I had to take Ativan and it help to the point where I was able to sleep but even in my sleep I was jittery and still a bit anxious shaking. My husband doesn’t believe me and it is hard to explain but now that I read these stories I know now I’m allergic to compazine.”

Cat · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I should not have been given this drug in the emergency room. As soon as it was given, an extreme heat went through me. I immediately felt panicked, like the walls were closing in. I didn't feel like I was in my body. I kept begging for a reversal. I kept saying I was allergic. My skin felt like it needed to be taken off. I heard voices in my head and couldn't stop moving. I was crying and screaming for help. This medication made me feel like it was the end of me, like everyone was trying to hurt me. This "didn't" go away in an hour. It took days. I am still scared and frightened.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine): “Please, please if you have any type of manic disorder or are prone to have anxiety, please reconsider this drug. This was one of the scariest nights of my life when I was administered this in the ER. Within 15 minutes, I immediately felt off. My body was on fire and I couldn’t stop sweating, and then my heart was racing. I couldn’t control my anxiety. Then, my legs started having spasms and I couldn’t stay still. It felt like the world was closing in and I genuinely remember thinking I was going to die that night. I even tried to rip my own IV out. It amazes me that a medicine like this is still around. I’ve never been in a state of psychosis this badly and I encourage you to please PLEASE really reconsider this drug.”

Maggie September 14, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I was seen in the ER last night for a migraine I had had for 2 days. Feeling thankful I was finally going to get some relief they gave me a dose of Benadryl and Compazine through the IV along with fluids. About 3-4 minutes later I was climbing out of the hospital bed, crying, pulling off my bp cuff and IV. I have never in my life felt like this. I work in healthcare and have never seen this either. I thought I was alone until I read everyone’s comments. Never again will I ever take this drug. The headache was gone but the aftermath was so bad I would have rather kept the headache. It’s been over 24 hours and I still feel like I can’t sleep or sit still. Worst thing ever! They tried to reverse the drug and gave me something to relax me. I don’t know when this feeling will go away or if it even will. Worst and I mean worst feeling I’ve ever had!”

Manders · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Another horror story about Compazine. I went to the ER with a migraine and neck pain that would not break. The doctor gave me their “migraine cocktail” and a few minutes later I started shaking. I struggle with anxiety and was obviously upset because of the headache, so at first I thought that was it. However, as time went on I got more and more agitated. I couldn’t sit still or stop moving my legs. I wanted to rip out my IV and leave! I even tried to disconnect it a few times. Eventually I just sat there, crying and rocking back and forth on my bed like I was going crazy. I told the doctor how I was feeling and she said it was common. She gave me some Ativan which helped after 2 or 3 hours. I’m so thankful I was able to sleep after that. What a terrifying experience. I will be putting this on my allergy list. Please check before you get a “migraine cocktail!””

TransplantGal December 20, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I was hospitalized for 4 days due to infection. Well, one of the nurses asked me if I felt nauseous and I shouldve said NO because I was barely nauseous. She gave me compazine over IV, and the worse feeling of dread, terror, anxiety, heart palpitations, restlessness, and panic took control over me for a whole week. Even, after I was discharged, I had extreme panic attacks even in the middle of the night. While at the hospital, I wanted to keep running away and scream, just to get away from the overwhelming feeling of HORROR. My husband had to keep praying for me. I couldn't sleep. The final night before the medicine finally wore off was when I started hyperventilating my husband had to literally slapped my face 4 times to calm me down! Because of that one medication, I developed a phobia of taking medicines and sometimes eating new food. I had never known panic or anxiety ever before compazine. It still grips me with fear”

lxs124 March 19, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the Urgent Care for an especially debilitating migraine and was given some medication through an IV. Almost immediately I felt like ripping out my IV jumping off the TOP of the building!! Finally the nurse came in and kinda chuckled at my sobbing hysterical state saying that, "Some patients have this kind of reaction to Compazine but you can be glad it's all done." But for awhile after I kept going to the restroom thinking if I just did a "normal thing" like peeing I would suddenly feel "normal again" but I continued to feel panicked. I got Benadryl through an IV and I fell asleep. When I woke up I was FRANTIC to get out of there. I still had a bad headache and felt so panicky but had to get out of there because I was so afraid. I learned that reaction is called a PANIC ATTACK and have had several more since then. I still get migraines too but know to never again accept treatment at all similar to this nightmare drug.”

Tiffany · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “It’s been 2 weeks and I am still feeling the terrible side effects (pacing, tremors, etc) For those of you that have posted previously, can you please provide updates on how long it took to feel like yourself again? I need some hope that this will go away. :(”

EGM September 25, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I was admitted to the ER for a severe migraine. They did the usual migraine cocktail + anti nausea med (Compazine). I'd not heard of it before. Within 60 seconds my world felt like it was coming to a complete end. I felt as though I was out of my own body, trapped in my skin. I was on fire. I tore my BP cuff off. I was on all fours on the ER bed, rocking, crying, hitting the call light like my life depended on it. For what felt like hours, I waited. And my poor boyfriend watched in horror. I sobbed, I begged him to get me out of there. I remember what last shred of sanity I felt as I looked at my IV and began to mentally disassemble it, thinking how I'd get it out of me. I wanted to run. I wanted to die on the floor. Finally, the nurse came. All I gasped was 'I'm falling apart, I can't breathe. Please help!'. I was given IV Ativan. Within ~30 seconds, I felt my heart rate slowing and I didn't want to climb the walls into the ceiling. Worst experience of my life. Never AGAIN!”

Ange February 14, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have migraine, vomiting, gallbladder issue's. I was asked if I wanted zofran or compazine. I asked little bit about side effects and the nurse said it's for migraines, vomiting, put in my IV 15 minutes later, like the room got dark, and i couldn't stay still. 30 mins later I called my mom crying telling her I'm dying there is no way I'm coming back from hospital. Many times I was about rip IV out pacing the hospital bed with IV cord on me. I felt the oncoming sense of doom, somewhat dismembered my IV on my arm, one point I was rip IV out, had no ride home hour away from home. I was going run outta the room in the streets zero below. I got a nurse in said yah the medicine can do that to people have reactions. Benadryl, reverse it it took 30 more mins for them to bring benadryl in, about 10 mins I finally dozed off. But I still couldn't stop moving walking around and nervous panic. I had got released, I had toget Benadryl from store keep it reversed for 24hrs. Worse dangerous drug. I will never take a unknown medication again.”

Bmr22 · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “Last week I was sent to the ER for a terrible migraine and anxiety/panic attack. They gave me tylenol, Benadryl, and Compazine as a migraine cocktail they called it. As they gave me Compazine they told me that it would cause me to have more anxiety. I have never experienced the feeling that I had after being given Compazine. I was extremely panicked and couldn’t stay still. I wanted to rip out my IV and just felt like I had to leave and go home. I told the nurse I was feeling like I had to leave and extremely panicked and restless. I couldn’t calm down and felt like I was fighting against my own body. The nurses just told me that they warned me that it would cause more anxiety. I still can’t figure out why they would give me that knowing I was already having anxiety. I will never ever take Compazine again.”

Leigh · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Do not take this medicine!!! I was given compazine (stemetil) in an injection I immediately had anxiety and my heart rate went up so fast. It’s now day 3 I still have inner restlessness and severe anxiety. Symptoms of akathasia. I’m hoping to goes away soon I cannot sit still I feel tired but can’t sleep. This medicine should be banned!!!!!”

Oxy-Alex · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “(Male, 24) I have severe Crohn's disease and have been around the block a few times when it comes to nausea meds. At one point while admitted in the hospital, I was given Compazine intravenously to alleviate my nausea symptoms. After about 10 minutes or so, I started to experience a SEVERE panic attack. I was convulsing, I started to rip out my hair, and I no longer could speak words. Therefore I wasn't able to properly tell the nurse what was wrong with me. The physical sensations of panic and the illogical thought process I was experiencing were so powerful, that for a moment I considered taking my own life, just to make it stop. I endured this feeling for more than 15 minutes before the night Doctor was able to arrive and properly sedate me. That was one of the most traumatizing experiences of my life.. I literally wanted my life to be over.”

Ashley · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I received Compazine, via IV, in hospital for vomiting. Within 20 minutes I was pulling off my clothes, my heart was racing and I was having suicidal thoughts. I was legitimately in a full blown psychotic attack, which has never happened before. Hours later I still felt jittery anxious and could not sit still. I will NEVER take this medication again. It stopped my vomiting, however; I’d rather vomit that experience psychosis. Worst experience ever. Never again.”

Luna November 7, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I went to the ER last night for a migraine and other issues. I was given a Compazine cocktail. My migraine was much better. But a few minutes later while I was talking to the dr I started getting extremely panicked. Like I couldn’t be there anymore. I wanted to rip my IV out. I canceled my ultrasound test so I could get out quicker. My husband told the dr and nurse I was have extreme anxiety and they both kept shrugging it off. I just kept yelling I want to go home! I took off my blood pressure cuff. My heart monitor & I would have ripped that IV out too. I attributed it to my panic attacks I get occasionally. My husband kept saying I bet it’s the medications. Well. The new nurse comes in and knew what was wrong with me. Saying it can cause “uneasiness” in people. I am now suffering PTSD. Severe panic of ending up in the hospital for what’s wrong with me. I have been up and down all day even though my body is exhausted. I can not believe this many people have had the same experiences.”

Nbc0302 September 4, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I went to the ER 4 days ago with what was assumed to be a horrible migraine. I’ve had them since I was 12 but had never had anything like this. When I got there the dr was very cold and dismissive when I was terrified. Long story short, she said she was going to order me to get toradol, Benadryl, and Compazine (the migraine concoction). I have had toradol before and everyone has had Benadryl so I wasn’t concerned. It took forever for me to get it and within less than I minute I felt like I was having a heart attack. I do have panic disorder but this was different, I started sweating profusely, I was nauseous, my heart rate and my blood pressure skyrocketed, I felt that I was trying to come out of my own skin and there was zero way to make it stop. I begged to have it reversed and they gave me Ativan which did not work and I refused another dose of Ativan because I was too scared to get any other medications. After days of feeling horrible I will never have this drug again”

Anonymous October 18, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Psychosis: “Was seen in the ER for a terrible migraine, I have been seen in this ER a few times for really bad migraines and I've always been given Toradol/ phenergin which had always worked. Well this time my doctor says screw what works and gave me some "migraine cocktail" with compazine and benadryl...about 2 minutes later I was absolutely losing my mind! I felt like my skin was crawling off my body! I couldn't sit still I just wanted to be out of my skin! I had ripped my blood pressure cuff and oxygen off and was punching the wall and jumping up and down! I've never acted like this before and have never ever ever had anything like this happen! I seriously would have run out into traffic if it meant that I would not feel like this anymore! Finally a nurse comes in and gives me ativan whch alleviates my psychosis”

Lolo · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “This medication worked wonders for me. I took 10mg for massive migraine and nausea. After 5 days with the worse headache and nausea, this brought relief within 20 minutes. For me, my experience was amazing and saved me a trip to the ER during all of this COVID-19 madness.”

Rebecca · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 28, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “There’s so many bad reviews, if I had seen these before being given these tablets I would have never taken them! But my experience has been good. I have been taking 5mg on and off for dizziness and nausea for the past 7 years. They work well for my nausea, and sometimes take the edge off of my lightheadedness. They make me a little sleepy sometimes but other than that, no side effects at all.”

Breezer · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I went to the ER for a severe atypical migraine. They gave me Compazine via my IV along with Benadryl to prevent a side effect. After receiving it I have never been so restless in my life. I couldn’t stop moving and squirming. My husband thought I was going mad. It did help when they gave me additional Benadryl but I still couldn’t sit still or sleep. I felt like ripping my IV out. It was like I was a fish out of water flipping around. I had to get an MRI and I wasn’t able to sit still for that so they did give me Ativan which eventually helped some more by knocking me out, but I still felt uneasy before it put me to sleep and when I woke up as well. It’s now been two days almost 3, and I’m still feeling like I can’t relax or sit still which is making it hard to sit at work. I will never take this again and am having it added to my chart as an adverse/allergic reaction”

LM November 18, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I can promise you these negative reviews are not false. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen to us. This medication is horrible! It should not be used for anything. I went to the ER a few years ago and my life hasn't been the same since. The panic attacks I developed after that medication were brutal. Never had panic symptoms before that night I went to the ER. It took me a long time to recover from that medication. Do not take it!”

Akasurvive · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Just for the record, the reviews on this site are absolutely real. I know because it happened to me, and I’ve talked to at least a heap people over the past 2 years who have experienced its bad side effects as well. This drug causes akathisia in some which is why so many of the reviews are similar. Just because it didn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Compazine ruined my life and I only took it ONCE. Proceed with caution.”

Robert · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “Just got out of the ER with my daughter. She got the "migraine cocktail" with Compazine as well. She became irritable at the hospital and just wanted to leave. They finally discharged her and she started feeling nauseous on way home. Has been vomiting for an hour now and full of anxiety. She's begging for it "to just stop." Nothing online for a counter agent. I am annoyed because my wife mentioned the drug gave her lock jaw as a child but the Dr said drug allergies/reactions are not hereditary. And he also never mentioned any side effects until we got home and called back to find out if she needed to return. It may work for some people but be wary. My family is no longer taking it. Two strikes and you are out.”

El · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2021

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I’m honestly shocked this drug is still allowed to be administered. I have several chronic illnesses including mitochondrial disease, Ehlers Danlos syndrome, dysautonomia, gastroparesis, Migraines and more. Four years ago at 14 I was taken to the emergency room with a severe headache along with nausea and stroke like symptoms. I was given the migraine cocktail that included Compazine. I immediately felt a rush of adrenaline accompanied by the worst restless leg/body/burning sensation I’ve ever felt. I remember wanting to literally crawl out of my skin. I felt as though I was going crazy. I have been septic and close to death many times but genuinely cannot think of a more uncomfortable experience than being on this medication. It took 50 mg of IV Benadryl +3 mg of IV Ativan to get me to finally calm down”

Catleen186 · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2013

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: “I was first given Compazine in the hospital for severe nausea associated with a migraine. I suffer from migraines, generalize anxiety, and panic attacks but I was admitted to the hospital due to the worst panic attack I've ever had. They were giving me Valium, but cautiously. When the nurse gave me Compazine for the first time, my nausea and anxiety left at the same time, and quickly too. I was able to finally rest/sleep comfortably. Even though it is prescribed for nausea, I would recommend asking your Doctor about Compazine for anxiety. It will make you sleepy, but like I said, the feeling of be comfortable in my own skin for a change is worth it.”