User Reviews for Prochlorperazine

Nausea/Vomiting
3.9

Summary of Prochlorperazine reviews 4.0 160 reviews

Reviews for Prochlorperazine

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given a migraine cocktail that had compazine included in it. THIS MEDICATION MADE MY SYMTOMS A MILLION TIMES WORSE! I started with my heart pounding and a severe anxious feeling immediately. I was given this med thru an IV. It literally felt like an instant panic attack. It's been 4 days now and I still am having spontaneous bouts of anxiety due to this medication. The half life is 24 hours with this med and it's been well over 96 hours since I was administered it and I'm still experiencing side effects. I also got low blood pressure which gave me cold sweats, disorientation and I was freezing. My only relief was from hot baths which made my blood pressure go up some. I also had dissociation, as if I wasn't even myself, from this medication. I can not stress enough how awful this medication is and it should NOT be used as nausea relief unless it's for EXTREME circumstances. This medication is used in people with schizophrenia! I am still not myself days after and its miserable."

Uslessmeds April 6, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Given intravenously when zofran wasn’t working for severe nausea. Caused me to have an insane panic attack, didn’t know where I was, wanted to escape... it was insane."

Bby713 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I thought I had the flu so I went to the ER to get tested. It came back negative but since I had a migraine they gave me a “headache cocktail “ which my sister had a bad reaction to but I had forgotten (after all I had a migraine and couldn't think straight). I got the IV meds and one of them was Compazine.....the awful liquid itself. Immediately I had trouble getting comfortable and my throat felt like I had a shrunken airway but the doctors said it was just anxiety. So it’s 4 in the morning and I’m stumbling around the hospital waiting for my prescription and my step dad to come pick me up and I’m falling asleep any time I sit down. As soon as I got home I fell into bed and couldn’t sleep unless my legs were writhing around. Then I slept off and on for almost 20 hours. I sweated most of the medication out thank goodness but I’ve never had anything like it happen before. I was by myself and was terrified. Why is this medication even still given?!?!"

Cat (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: "This medication gave me the worst thoughts of suicide, fear and anxiety. My mother had to sleep with me for a week after so I wouldn’t cry due to being alone in my thoughts. This medication should be avoided AT ALL COST. REFUSE THIS MEDICATION"

Shel (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I've had three OHS (open heart surgery) so I've had my fair share of IV medicine. NOTHING, and I repeat, absolutely nothing I have taken has made me feel as awful as this did. Five minutes after receiving the dose of compazine I started getting restless, like I wanted to crawl out of my skin. I complained about how uncomfortable I truly was, and the doctor just said oh yeah, that happens. Please don't take this, it may have helped my pain. But here I am 19 hours later still feeling like complete garbage. I honestly wish I would have read these reviews first."

Kaderade (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "Do not touch prochlorperazine!!!! Given to me by A&E to help with vertigo and ringing in my ears. I felt like I was going to die once this had been taken.. anxiety shot through the roof. Sounds were scaring me. I could hear voices in my head. My vertigo went worse. I couldn't think, I couldn't feel emotion. I couldn't sleep. Thought I was going mental. Had a break down and cried. Family member told me to take more of this drug as it will help.. it was only when I stopped taking it did I feel normal again. It just clicked I would be sitting there and bang, I would just come back. It was like a bad trip over and over again. It has withdrawal symptoms as well making it even harder to come off. You get worse when it wears off so people around you will think the tablets helped so they give you more - wrong move, that's just the drug coming out your system and your body craving for it. I actually now know how mental patients feel."

Lainey87 March 26, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the ER last night with nausea and vomiting. I was given zofran, but it had soon worn off. I told the doctor and he said he would give me something else. The nurse came in with the compazine. She gave it to me through my IV. Within minutes I started to feel really jittery and restless! I started to become anxious and fidgety, and I wanted to rip my IV out of my arm. The medicine worked for the nausea, but it's definitely not worth the side effects! It was the worst feeling ever!!! It has been 21 hours since and I still don't feel right. The symptoms have calmed down a lot but I'm still not 100%."

Pooh (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "26 years ago I was prescribed this for vomiting and soon after I took it at home I had a stroke (at 22 years old) You can imagine the trauma I went through. I was home alone with my infant when it happened. I lost all control of the right side of my body. I could barely speak. I got to a phone in the house (no cellphone back then 26 years ago) and called my sister who lived closest to me. She couldn’t make out what I was saying until I started crying, then she realized I was in danger So she rushed over and got me to the nearby hospital. By the that time I was also beginning to swallow my tongue. I thought I was gonna die. I apparently passed out and when I came to I was hooked up to things, I was feeling much better from whatever they did for me, and had told me I had a stroke. Because of how young I was there wasn’t too much permanent damage. My right side of my face is still slightly lower or droopy than the other side from the incident but my brain is ok. Scary!"

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for : "I went to the ER with a spinal headache after a lumbar puncture. This medication was given with Benadryl and it made me flip out. As the nurse gave me compazine, I felt my ability to speak leave my body, and I couldn’t keep my mind on track. At first it was great and really knocked the headache back. Then, the crazies started. I was tossing and turning, I couldn’t get comfortable. I felt like I wanted to run naked down the halls screaming. I started to panic and ended up sending my mom to get the doctor. It was this fear of panic and dread, all I could think was how long it would last. Initially I refused any more medications because I was so scared. They ended up adding Cogentin after talking me down, which knocked me out because I was so upset. Not a great experience."

Khern (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the ER when I was experiencing headaches and vomiting due to a new medication I was put on. The doctors gave me compazine, toradol and Benadryl through my IV. After a few minutes I experienced the worst feelings of my life. I was thrown into a huge panic attack, I couldn't sit still, my heart rate rose to over 130. I had to stay in the hospital for 5 extra hours just to get my heart rate to return to normal. It took 24+ hours for the initial panic feeling to go away and now going on 48 hours my head still feels all foggy and I get dizzy when I stand up for long periods of time. I hope I return to normal soon and I would not recommend this medication to anyone!!"

Liv (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "had extremely bad case of Labyrinthitis (inflammation of the labyrinth), lost all balance and couldn't stand up. I was vomiting and my eyesight went, everything was spinning, so scary they put me on stemetil and steroids in ER and after 24 hrs I finally felt human again and had stopped vomiting. This drug worked wonders for me."

chin (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went to the ER with a migraine that was way off the charts painful. I was also really nauseous and throwing up every 10 minutes. I had been given dilaudid, Benedryl, and reglan the last time I had to go to the ER for the same reason. The reglan had actually made my nausea worse, so this time the doctor gave me compazine which helped the nausea soooo much!!! I didn’t have any side effects except for a little sleepiness. I would definitely recommend this medication to anyone who can’t use reglan."

Bella Jasmine (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I was given compazine IV to treat a migraine. This made me feel more lousy than the migraine itself. I couldn't get comfortable, I was restless, I was pacing and anxious. My heart was racing and I was trembling uncontrollably. I didn't know whether I wanted to lay down or stand up, or sit up. It is 24 hours later and I still feel the same way. I am an RN and I have witnessed others experiencing the same adverse reactions to this medication. I would not recommend this drug to anyone for any reason. The slight benefits do NOT outweigh the risks."

Else (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed this med in pill form for nausea from my chemotherapy as a backup in case Zofran did not work. Because Zofran caused me constipation I asked my care team if I could use the Compazine as the first defence. They said go ahead and try it. While taking this med I didn't want to sleep, didn't want to be awake, couldn't sit, couldn't stand or wait in line, had to pace back and forth to stop myself from doing something drastic. I snapped at loved ones because I was so desperate. I felt fear and dread and paranoia. At first I thought it was the chemotherapy I was on that was causing all these things but I finally figured out it was the Compazine. You snap out of the horrible side effects about 12 to 24 hours after taking your last dose. It feels like you are breaking a fever and finally feel more relaxed and relieved. I stopped taking it. Hoping this review will be helpful for those on chemo. Sometimes with all the drugs we take it's hard to pinpoint which one is the culprit."

Fiona March 17, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Given Compazine with benadryl and wow the compazine caused a bad reaction!!! Felt like a 100+ worst nightmare from anxiety!!! Nurse seemed uncaring and didn't know this causes those side effects!!! This will go on my med list and I will stick with my zofran. Still feel bad some 12+ hours later. Never again. I can relate to the others!!!@"

Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "My daughter was prescribed this (@ 15) by her neurologist for 24/7 migraines as part of the "cocktail". Within 45 minutes of taking the med, she went from laying down in her room to running into my room and attacking me & breaking furniture. She paused and said "Mom, I am scared". Told the neuro, and SHE said that it was my daughter "just being a teenager". (Seriously??) She had her take it again- same reaction. I had to call 911 after her waking up at 3 am, raging/psychotic for 6 hours STRAIGHT. Police, fire department, ambulance came. I was afraid they would have to put her on a psychiatric hold, but she came out of it. The combo of a horrible doctor, and a HORRIBLE medication...NO THANK YOU! That poor child! I changed her doctor. That medication is so bad... SO BAD. All around HORRIBLE experience."

Ry's Mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to ER and was given this drug w out any details, not one time did the nurses tell me what was about to happen. I thought I was going crazy!!! I could not sit still, it was the worse experience ever!!!! Do NOT allow the medical sheep give this to you. Matter of fact when you go to ER take someone with you and ask questions and don’t let them put anything in your IV with out Googling it!!!!! This is next day and still not 100 %."

Ta March 2, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to ER for vomiting. They gave me this drug. It made feel suicidal and more anxious that I ever have. I ended up having to leave AMA because they weren’t listening to me. I hope it wears off completely, quickly. I’m terrified it won’t. Please don’t let them give you this medication. It is awful!!!"

Jenn (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Went to the ER for nausea and dizziness. They gave me this horrible medication in my IV. Once it hit my bloodstream I went straight into panic mood. I wanted to rip the IV out and run home. I had anxiety and panic attacks since they gave me this horrible medication. It needs to be taking of the market. Doctors need to warn patients about the side effects before giving it to them. Just Horrible"

Notready (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given compazine for nausea and vomiting when I was having monthly (girls) problems which almost always included throwing up with pain. Violent spasms like tetney lockjaw I did thousands of dollars of damage to my teeth, and my whole jaw was crooked for days after. But Drs all told me it was "stress" all in my head not the meds. One time when I was in the hospital and they gave me compazine by injection it started within a few minutes, yup it was the compazine. Also have to be careful with other meds that may contain it. I had Tigan which worked pretty good but now no longer made. Last time Dr gave me Zofran but had a tough time getting the insurance to approve it as they wanted to give me the cheaper compazine generics. Be very very careful as I have had a few pharmacists tell me some other meds were not related only to find out that they were. Be sure to do your homework and double triple check what is in what."

MissAnnie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I went into the ER for a migraine. The nurse gave me a "cocktail" of meds: Toradol, Compazine & Benadryl. He told me my migraine should be gone within 15 minutes. BUT Within minutes of the Compazine being given to me through IV, I felt the worst I have ever felt. Agitated, restless, scared. It was the worst anxiety/panic I have felt. I wanted to die so bad. I NEEDED help and I kept calling out and they just told me "it'll wear off". I was hollering and crying and upset and absolutely terrified. I couldn't stop shaking, I wanted to rip my IV out and run out of there as fast as I could. It's been 2 weeks and I still don't feel like myself. I have these bursts of panic and nausea, I feel completely and utterly distraught. I told my doctor about it but they just dismissed me. I'm scared this feeling will never go away. It was completely traumatizing and I don't recommend this to anyone ever. I do not wish this on my worst enemy & you couldn't get me to take this again for a billion dollars."

MM February 18, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was in the ER due to a severe migraine that couldn’t be controlled with my prescriptions that I usually take. They gave me Compazine for the nausea/vomiting. It was the most awful thing ever. I became so restless. I felt like I had to leave and go home. I couldn’t sit still, and I felt like I constantly needed to pace the room. I felt like I was going crazy, and like I was about to rip my hair out. (I didn’t.) I will avoid this medicine at all costs. I don’t even know if it helped the nausea/vomiting because it made me feel so weird."

MDay354 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "This did take away my nausea, but it also made my heart pound and made me extremely irritable and anxious for about 20 hours. Even with a Benadryl I couldn’t sit still for about 10 hours after taking it, and I had lingering anxiety 10 hours after that. I had a similar experience with Reglan, and the ER doc I saw said they are similar drugs. I would say if Reglan gives you a reaction there’s a good chance this will too. It did it’s job, but I would have taken the nausea over the anxiety any day."

Sky (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2019

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I had experience high agitation and restlessness with this drug before so it’s been in my allergy list, unfortunately I was going through a difficult procedure and it’s the only anti-emetic this office offered. It had been over 10 years since I took it so I figured I’d try it again. Bad idea. This drug causes severe anxiety, agitation, muscle pain and a general feeling of needing to rip out of your skin!! I remember now why it was on my DO NOT USE list, the affects stay with you for a long time too. I will never take this again.. there’s a reason it’s listed as a mental health drug/antipsychotic.. IMO it MAKES you psychotic."

NE603 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: "A little after I had taken it with another Med. I felt like I was going to vomit."

Sissy (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2019