User Reviews for Prochlorperazine

Also known as: Compazine, Compazine Spansule, Compro, Procot

Learn more about Prochlorperazine.

Anxiety 11 reviews 56 medications

Nausea/Vomiting 73 reviews 160 medications

4.8
Summary of Prochlorperazine reviews 86 reviews 5.4

Reviews for Prochlorperazine

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given this via IV for an extreme migraine that brought me to the hospital, and let me tell you I would rather have suffered the migraine. This drug was HELL. The nurse told me it was part of a headache cocktail and may cause anxiety. Out of nowhere, once it was administered, I started absolutely freaking out: wanting to rip my IV out, wanting to run out of the hospital, couldn't hold still, itchy skin, twitchy movements, couldn't calm my thoughts of absolute death and doom. I'm a very calm person with no anxiety and this turned all that upside down. I called my boyfriend sobbing and whimpering. I was a mess. It lasted for hours once I finally got home too. Never take this drug!!"

cbb1722 September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I received this medication over the counter at my local chemist for severe nausea, dizziness and headache. It worked within 30 minutes to alleviate the nausea completely and the headache is subsiding. I also have severe anxiety - the side effect of drowsiness has occurred but has helped calm me down a lot so I can rest and the dizziness is no longer noticeable so I see that as a bonus."

Daisy222 September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Psychosis: "After having had to take steroids for severe asthma all of my life I have been dealing with a very horrible side effects of psychosis on steroids. Unfortunately there are many people in the medical field he still do not know how to deal with that. I have learned to ask for Compazine and have been able to take small amounts to get back to a straight playing with my mental health and survive the hospitalization and the several weeks afterwards when I'm having to cut down the prednisones back to nothing. It has saved my life and has probably saved a few hospitalizations because a lot of people don't know how to deal with someone who says high doses of Cortizone make me psychotic. My long-term doctors know it but short term hospitalization Compazine saves me from all sorts of other issues that could come up that I've already dealt with in the last 64 years."

Sidly (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was given this for a really bad headache- migraine. This med is going on my allergy list and I'm NOT going to take it ever again! I consider it poison! I already have anxiety and I was given med thru IV in the ER along with Benadryl. I was told it could make me jittery but the Benadryl counteracts that. Bull! All of a sudden I couldn't think, I couldn't talk right, I was so restless but so tired & sleepy at the same time. I was so hot! They gave me a clipboard to fan myself. I wasn't comfortable sitting. I wasn't comfortable standing. I too wanted to rip my IV out and run away. It was one of the WORST experiences of my life! They gave me more Benadryl and that did help, but I didn't feel like myself that night and felt agitated, dizzy and headache the next day. I got better thank God!"

GT45 August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "For several months suffered debilitating migraines daily. My tongue went numb on the right side arms going dead on a night. I suffer with chiari malformation and a brain cyst multiple issues. Ok received 5mg of this today only took 5mg and my brain pressure relieved within 1 hour. Its the first time in months I've felt at ease. Doctors won't accept I've issues with chiari and the brain cyst and are refusing a brain scan follow up. I have the feeling of my brain dropping 50 times an hour mainly on a night. I'm really hoping the brain drop feeling relieves tonight while sleeping. I'VE HAD A GOOD 6 HOURS FIRST TIME IN NEARLY 16 MONTHS! A blessing is this for me..."

Jdclaire (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Got this med for dizziness, it works after 2 days but gives bad anxiety and my throat is slightly closed which is making me waking up every 30 mins as I am running out of breath. This is a bad one to take."

Aa111 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: "Given this medication for a headache 3 weeks ago still feeling side effects! Very restless, insomnia,irrational thoughts, I feel like I've lost touch in reality! It's horrible! I wish they would've told me before they put it in me through IV! If anyone please knows what to do to fall back in to reality please share"

Gabrielaa21 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Off label use: Abortive therapy for migraine Not for nausea, but for the headache it self. It works! Better than Esgic/Fioricet, better than two Excedrin Using compazine 10 mg tabs. It does stop the H/A from getting worse 1 tid no more than three days a week. Might be worth looking into. HypnoPhD"

Hyonophd July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "This was given to me for a migraine. Horrible horrible HORRIBLE!!!! feel like you are going to die, increased heart rate, shallow breathing, the need to get up and run, agitated, crying, sweating, had a FULL BLOWN panic attack........THE WORST MEDICINE EVER!!!!"

EVNTCAT123 May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Worst experience ever!!! I had almost everyone's HORRIBLE side effects . Do not use this. I was given through an infusion with 50 mg benadryl and toradol. Never again!!!!"

Rabonka06 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was in and out of the ER due to migraines and on the last day they gave me a prescription of Compazine. The next day when I took it I laid down to take a nap and woke up struggling to breath. My throat was closing and I could barely talk. I went into a full blown panic attack and called the ambulance. They gave me 3 different shots of something I can't remember and rushed me to the hospital. My jaw felt locked like I clinching my teeth hard together by the time I got to the hospital. I was shaking uncontrollably and crying hysterically. After I was discharged I came home and chugged some childrens benadryl and took some xanax and felt the side effect slowly go away. I have never in my felt so scared."

NelBenally (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "My wife was administered Compazine after receiving chemo to relieve nausea symptoms. Within 12 hours, she became restless, irritable, felt like her muscles were being ripped out of her body, it caused her to have a 103 fever and diarrhea, coupled with the chemo almost killed her. She ended up in the ICU unconscious and almost died. Our team of doctors told us the was a rare occurrence. From reading the other reviews, and witnessing this first-had. I would advise anyone, if offered this drug to decline. It was truly the biggest nightmare of my wife's life. On the scale of 1-10 above this survey asked to select how effective this medicine was. Therefor we would give it a 0=ZERO."

JMG18 March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was put in this for labyrinthitis which was making me super anxious as I was so disorientated and nauseous. It helped with all those things, didn't realise how much til I forgot a pill and felt super anxious and awful. Staying on it til further notice!!!"

Thankgoodness (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given this for my sickness over a month ago and after reading all these reviews I was so scared to have this medication! But one day I felt so sick and since I was taken off ondanestron (best anti sickness tablets ever) (but apparently they would do me more harm than good in the long run "

katie1994 March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given this in a hospital ER for a migraine. One of the single worst experiences of my life. I would not wish the side effects on my worst enemy. It cause me such extreme anxiety that I wanted to pull out my IV. I felt so out of control. After I left the hospital, I had such paranoia, that I didn't want to be left alone. Took a day or two to get back to normal. NO ONE SHOULD TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!"

Wewwwwww March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was given compazine through the IV for nausea and vomiting while admitted. It was an absolute nightmare that still makes me feel pure fear when I think about it. I thought I was going to die. At first, my legs just felt restless which I thought I was just having some anxiety, but then it really hit. I couldn't get my body to cool down, I started vomiting, then lost control of my bowels in front of the nurses. This lasted over six hours until they finally gave me something that knocked me out until it was over. I thought I was going to die. It scared both my partner who was there and myself to the point that I am now scared to take anymore medications fearing a similar reaction. They should really warn people about this drug."

dharrison52 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Reading the effects some folks have had brings me right back to 1993. I was 2 months pregnant with my son, who is now 23. I was vomiting so badly and was given compazine as a suppository. It worked wonders for the first 2 days. My 3rd day was a trip to HELL! I was on the phone with my mom and my words started slurring. I then started having uncontrollable muscle spasms in my face. My upper and lower jaw started moving in opposite directions so severely that I had to hold my face in place screaming in pain! My husband had to rush me to the ER in the middle of a snow storm. It was a horrific experience and I can not believe that this drug still exists! I was told that compazine is used as a component in other drugs, BEWARE!"

Toni Ann S. February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was talking to my sister about my bad reaction to a medication I took 15 years ago called Compazine. I took this prescribed medicine while at home. I remember my experience like it was yesterday. At first I felt a twitching in my jaws. All at once, my bottom jaw started going to the right, and my top jaw started going to the left. I could not stop it and I could not talk. In fact, my jaw felt like it was trying to break off my face. I remember the emotional and physical pain. Me and my husband were both crying, because we both didn't understand what was happening! My husband ended up taking me to another clinic, and they admitted me at once. So BEWARE! Just from talking - I found out this same medication hurt my sister just last year."

Mahbulla (taken for 10 years or more) February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "This is the only medication I have ever been given in my ENTIRE life that has made me literally want to rip out my IV and run out of the ER. I was given this in the ER to curb the side effects of my lumbar puncture. I have anxiety and RLS so in the beginning I thought I was just experiencing a minor panic attack. I felt so restless that I had to go to the bathroom just to do something with myself. When I got back to the bed I immediately told my gf that I wanted to leave. Was pushing the call light. And damn near left screaming. I flipped my shot on the doctor and he said this was a common side effect. I told him I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack and he gave me Benadryl and some kind of benzo. Absolutely horrid."

Anonnnnnnnnnnn January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I actually felt these made me worse if anything, I had the shakes after I took them and felt as sick if not more."

itslaurendotcom December 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: "Went to the ER for a headache along with depression and was given compazine threw an IV an has been feeling detached from reality every since last year of november anybody else feels this way after taking this medicine and what do I need to do to get back to NORMAL all I do is cry and wonder why the doctors didnt warn me before taking this "

Jessica6654 December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "They gave me this medication via IV in the ER for a very intense migraine and extreme nausea, I would never recommend this medication to anyone ever, the second it was pushed through, I started having an extreme panic attack, something like I have never felt before, like a huge wave of doom rushed over me, I started freaking out so badly I almost ripped my IV out and ran away, it was so traumatizing to me that they pushed a big dose of Ativan though my IV just to knock me out, I truly thought I was dying... And after all that it felt like my skin was crawling for a good 32 hours. No, thank you. Never again will allow this in my body."

Never. Again. (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed this drug to take along with Relpax for my severe migraines, which are often accompanied by terrible nausea. Within an hour after taking it, I began feeling horribly anxious, afraid, panicked and with a sense of impending doom. I couldn't sit still, and yet I felt groggy. I felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin and worried that I was losing my mind. Sleeping was impossible, yet being awake was miserable. I couldn't concentrate, couldn't work and distract myself. A doctor finally prescribed an anti-anxiety medication, Klonopin, which eased the symptoms. But I felt this way for over 48 hours."

Migraineuse (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I had been suffering from severe nausea and vomiting on and off including migraine, fever and flank pain. It was my second time in the ER so they gave me compazine and I'd never had it, it relieved my nausea and migraine but I started feeling so restless I was freaking out, like I wanted to rip out my iv and leave and run away. Then they told me it's a side effect and I already suffered from severe anxiety it made it 1000x worse. I had the worst time trying to sleep, then had the weirdest dreams of my life. They gave me Morphine shortly after which calmed me a little and took the rest of my pain away but I was hoping it'd honestly put me out. 24hrs layer and I still feel that restlessness in my body but it's so much better than it was."

Ahri (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Compazine (prochlorperazine) for Anxiety: "Had this in a "headache cocktail" last night when I went into ER for an intense migraine with garbled speech. NEVER again. I have never appreciated a headache more because by comparison it was so much better than the side effects of Compazine. It made me a crazy person in full blown panic attack mode. I was trying to pull out the IV and run away. I felt doom and dread and mental anguish. I was yelling and just trying to figure out a way to kill myself (literally) if the mental pain and confusion didn't stop soon. Luckily the terror didn't last long because three nurses came in and gave me more benedryl which counteracted or at least knocked me out. I am a bit traumatized by the experience but feel alot better today."

tinapeeps (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016