User Reviews for Compazine to treat Nausea/Vomiting

Compazine has an average rating of 2.3 out of 10 from a total of 161 ratings for the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting. 12% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 83% reported a negative effect.

Compazine Rating Summary

2.3/10 average rating

Compare all 168 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Compazine

Manders · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2020

“Another horror story about Compazine. I went to the ER with a migraine and neck pain that would not break. The doctor gave me their “migraine cocktail” and a few minutes later I started shaking. I struggle with anxiety and was obviously upset because of the headache, so at first I thought that was it. However, as time went on I got more and more agitated. I couldn’t sit still or stop moving my legs. I wanted to rip out my IV and leave! I even tried to disconnect it a few times. Eventually I just sat there, crying and rocking back and forth on my bed like I was going crazy. I told the doctor how I was feeling and she said it was common. She gave me some Ativan which helped after 2 or 3 hours. I’m so thankful I was able to sleep after that. What a terrifying experience. I will be putting this on my allergy list. Please check before you get a “migraine cocktail!””

TransplantGal December 20, 2019

“I was hospitalized for 4 days due to infection. Well, one of the nurses asked me if I felt nauseous and I shouldve said NO because I was barely nauseous. She gave me compazine over IV, and the worse feeling of dread, terror, anxiety, heart palpitations, restlessness, and panic took control over me for a whole week. Even, after I was discharged, I had extreme panic attacks even in the middle of the night. While at the hospital, I wanted to keep running away and scream, just to get away from the overwhelming feeling of HORROR. My husband had to keep praying for me. I couldn't sleep. The final night before the medicine finally wore off was when I started hyperventilating my husband had to literally slapped my face 4 times to calm me down! Because of that one medication, I developed a phobia of taking medicines and sometimes eating new food. I had never known panic or anxiety ever before compazine. It still grips me with fear”

Tiffany · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

“It’s been 2 weeks and I am still feeling the terrible side effects (pacing, tremors, etc) For those of you that have posted previously, can you please provide updates on how long it took to feel like yourself again? I need some hope that this will go away. :(”

Leigh · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“Do not take this medicine!!! I was given compazine (stemetil) in an injection I immediately had anxiety and my heart rate went up so fast. It’s now day 3 I still have inner restlessness and severe anxiety. Symptoms of akathasia. I’m hoping to goes away soon I cannot sit still I feel tired but can’t sleep. This medicine should be banned!!!!!”

lxs124 March 19, 2021

“I went to the Urgent Care for an especially debilitating migraine and was given some medication through an IV. Almost immediately I felt like ripping out my IV jumping off the TOP of the building!! Finally the nurse came in and kinda chuckled at my sobbing hysterical state saying that, "Some patients have this kind of reaction to Compazine but you can be glad it's all done." But for awhile after I kept going to the restroom thinking if I just did a "normal thing" like peeing I would suddenly feel "normal again" but I continued to feel panicked. I got Benadryl through an IV and I fell asleep. When I woke up I was FRANTIC to get out of there. I still had a bad headache and felt so panicky but had to get out of there because I was so afraid. I learned that reaction is called a PANIC ATTACK and have had several more since then. I still get migraines too but know to never again accept treatment at all similar to this nightmare drug.”

Akasurvive · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

“Just for the record, the reviews on this site are absolutely real. I know because it happened to me, and I’ve talked to at least a heap people over the past 2 years who have experienced its bad side effects as well. This drug causes akathisia in some which is why so many of the reviews are similar. Just because it didn’t happen to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Compazine ruined my life and I only took it ONCE. Proceed with caution.”

LM November 18, 2019

“I can promise you these negative reviews are not false. Just because it didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it didn't happen to us. This medication is horrible! It should not be used for anything. I went to the ER a few years ago and my life hasn't been the same since. The panic attacks I developed after that medication were brutal. Never had panic symptoms before that night I went to the ER. It took me a long time to recover from that medication. Do not take it!”

Ange February 14, 2021

“I have migraine, vomiting, gallbladder issue's. I was asked if I wanted zofran or compazine. I asked little bit about side effects and the nurse said it's for migraines, vomiting, put in my IV 15 minutes later, like the room got dark, and i couldn't stay still. 30 mins later I called my mom crying telling her I'm dying there is no way I'm coming back from hospital. Many times I was about rip IV out pacing the hospital bed with IV cord on me. I felt the oncoming sense of doom, somewhat dismembered my IV on my arm, one point I was rip IV out, had no ride home hour away from home. I was going run outta the room in the streets zero below. I got a nurse in said yah the medicine can do that to people have reactions. Benadryl, reverse it it took 30 more mins for them to bring benadryl in, about 10 mins I finally dozed off. But I still couldn't stop moving walking around and nervous panic. I had got released, I had toget Benadryl from store keep it reversed for 24hrs. Worse dangerous drug. I will never take a unknown medication again.”

Ashley · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2020

“I received Compazine, via IV, in hospital for vomiting. Within 20 minutes I was pulling off my clothes, my heart was racing and I was having suicidal thoughts. I was legitimately in a full blown psychotic attack, which has never happened before. Hours later I still felt jittery anxious and could not sit still. I will NEVER take this medication again. It stopped my vomiting, however; I’d rather vomit that experience psychosis. Worst experience ever. Never again.”

Tabitha · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2018

“Reading all the posts make me feel less crazy. I highly advice everyone to not take this medication. I have anxiety and I have panic attacks, so I thought it was just me but I have never had one come on so terribly for no reason. Then I realized it was the medication. I was given that with benadryl through an IV. Within 30 minutes I was restless. I panicked. I had an overwhelming feeling to rip out my IV and run. I wanted to be home. I was crying hysterically begging to go home. My teeth wouldn't stop chattering and I couldn't stop wiggling around. It was a very bad and overwhelming experience. The practitioner then let us know that can happen with this medication. I also learned it's for anxiety and schizophrenia but I don't understand how when it makes you feel so very upset and out of body. I will never take this again.”

Rita February 29, 2020

“I was given Compazine IV in the ER ( which I work at the hospital ) for a severe migraine. Not much later after I started getting horrible sensations in my head. And creepy crawly all over. Couldn't communicate. Couldn't walk straight. And NO ONE noticed this !!!!! I was too sick to even realize it was the Compazine at the time. I had no idea it is in the THORAZINE family !!!!! Now I'm marked as having an allergy to COMPAZINE. NIGHTMARE !!!!!!”

sadsally January 19, 2019

“Background info: I have a long medical history of generalized anxiety disorder & panic attacks. This medication caused THE WORST mental AND physical distress I’ve experienced in my entire life. I am not exaggerating; this was beyond any panic attack I’ve ever had, almost to the point that “panic” doesn’t suffice to explain what I felt. Every muscle in my body was tense & cramped, to the point that I wanted to crawl out of my skin. My stomach was clenched, & despite this being an anti-emetic, I felt like vomiting. I could not sit still or get comfortable, & ended up pacing like a lunatic for hours. I felt horribly self-conscious & emotionally distraught, & truly wished that these terrible feelings would end. PLEASE, stay far away from this medication!! Even if you’re not an anxious person, don’t risk it. I’ve been through some horrible things in my life, but the feelings that Compazine caused me are very near the top of the list.”

MM February 18, 2019

“I went into the ER for a migraine. The nurse gave me a "cocktail" of meds: Toradol, Compazine & Benadryl. He told me my migraine should be gone within 15 minutes. BUT Within minutes of the Compazine being given to me through IV, I felt the worst I have ever felt. Agitated, restless, scared. It was the worst anxiety/panic I have felt. I wanted to die so bad. I NEEDED help and I kept calling out and they just told me "it'll wear off". I was hollering and crying and upset and absolutely terrified. I couldn't stop shaking, I wanted to rip my IV out and run out of there as fast as I could. It's been 2 weeks and I still don't feel like myself. I have these bursts of panic and nausea, I feel completely and utterly distraught. I told my doctor about it but they just dismissed me. I'm scared this feeling will never go away. It was completely traumatizing and I don't recommend this to anyone ever. I do not wish this on my worst enemy & you couldn't get me to take this again for a billion dollars.”

AJO · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

“Y’all, my experience was exactly like so many others. I was having dizzy spells for over a week and then suddenly had the worlds worst headache so I went in. They gave me toradol and compazine through an IV and within ten minutes, I thought I was going insane. I asked to go to the bathroom just to get out of the room. I couldn’t sit still and felt so panicked. On my way back from the bathroom, I seriously considered ripping out my IV. When the nurse came in, I stopped my fluids, and went home. Had to sign a paper that I was refusing treatment, but I couldn’t be in that room any longer.”

Lacey October 8, 2019

“I went into the ER for a really bad migraine and vomiting they gave me Benadryl and compazine within three minutes I had the worst panic attack of my life. My anxiety was through the roof. I unhooked myself from everything that I could and tried to get my IV out and demanded that I be let go thinking I would feel better when I got home. I have not slept in over 24 hours. I'm now on day 2 and I still want to crawl out of my skin. I can't stop shaking and crying. I want to crawl out of my skin or run away to get away from this feeling. I'm also shaky and anytime I think I'm about to fall asleep I get weird sadistic images that wake me up right away before I'm even all the way asleep. I don't know why this drug is legal. I hope people read these reviews and please don't let any doctor give you this medication the worst feeling of my life”

Never. Again. · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2016

“They gave me this medication via IV in the ER for a very intense migraine and extreme nausea, I would never recommend this medication to anyone ever, the second it was pushed through, I started having an extreme panic attack, something like I have never felt before, like a huge wave of doom rushed over me, I started freaking out so badly I almost ripped my IV out and ran away, it was so traumatizing to me that they pushed a big dose of Ativan though my IV just to knock me out, I truly thought I was dying... And after all that it felt like my skin was crawling for a good 32 hours. No, thank you. Never again will allow this in my body.”

ZanarkandStar · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2021

“Do NOT use compazine!! I went to the ER for a severe migraine that lasted a week. They put me on Compazine and within just a few minutes I was shaking uncontrollably, couldn’t keep still, and had extreme anxiety like if I didn’t leave the hospital RIGHT AWAY my entire life would just go down the toilet. This was the only time I ever ripped out an IV. I called the nurse in and I could only mumble “oh god what did you do to me” over and over again. After some of these other reviews, I count myself lucky that my symptoms only lasted a single night and the migraine did go away. But still I will never take it again!”

ThatGuy July 18, 2019

“Believe the reviews! Do not under any circumstances when going to the ER for a migraine/headache have them give you prochlorperazine through a IV. When it was given I had an insanely fast heart rate, my skin was crawling, and I literally stood up asked the nurse to remove my IV and I paced the hospital non stop. My wife drove me home and I literally paced my house for almost 3 days straight as I couldn’t sit still or sleep! It’s been a month since then and I’m still having PTSD from that incident.”

Birdie · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

“Went to the ER with extreme dizziness. They wound up giving me Compazine. I wasn’t even familiar with what it was. I felt strange at first, but then my hands contorted & froze. My mouth had almost completely clamped shut. An orderly or a CNA just happened to come by to empty trash. I barely was able to say please go get someone something’s not right. The dr at first thought I had stroked. He ran some test gave me some Benadryl which helped. I would never take this drug again.”

Rori · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2021

“When I had the stomach flu I was given compazine as a suppository so that I could eat again without vomiting. It seemed to work okay at first, but I would soon find myself fighting for my life. It started with pain and difficulty speaking, but quickly morphed in to my body contorting backward involuntarily to the point where I couldn't move any of my torso, legs, arms, etc on my own. In quick progression, I went from barely able to voice a whisper to unable to breathe at all. I was suffocating and if not for swift action of EMTs and a life-saving dose of benadryl, compazine would have succeeded in being fatal. After the fact, I heard a doctor refer to my adverse reaction as "compazine lockdown". I'm lucky to have lived through my experience taking compazine.”

Me25 January 22, 2021

“I went to the doctor because of my dizziness and nausea, the doctor had prescribed Compazine to me for my nausea which didn’t even work. Jump forward a few days and I go to the ER to see if they can do something about it when I noticed I started having seizure like attacks where my body will stay in one position and my eyes would roll to the back of my head and the doctor said it was because I was allergic to the drug even though I didn’t know, but isn’t Compazine supposed to no longer supposed to be sold”

Sillyhead November 22, 2019

“After having a migraine and horrible muscle pains for 20+ hours I went to the ER. This medication compazine was in the Migraine "Cocktail" they gave me. I have never felt the way it made me feel. I couldn’t sit still, my body didn’t feel like my own. I was literally freaking out. I wanted to get out of there, I was ready to rip out my IV and run. My husband tried to help keep me calm. When the second nurse came in she said this happens sometimes, and that they should have given it at a slower rate. I do not know if that would’ve made a difference, and I am not giving it a second try. Worst medical experience I’ve experienced. I do not blame the DR. ir Nurses, but this medication has left me traumatized.”

HEY · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

“Every one of these "reviews" are IDENTICAL symptoms. I question whether they are authentic. Get real people. The story barely changes. For me Compazine is an excellent medication for acute migraine nausea and vomiting. I now have it for my PRN migraine medications & I really prefer it to phenergan.”

Anonymous August 27, 2018

“I went to the ER with a migraine and nausea/vomiting. I saw the doctor and then the nurse brought a medication into my room, Compazine. Then they wheeled me over to get a CT scan. That’s when things went all bad. Sitting there, in the hallway on the gurney I began having this overwhelming feeling of anxiety/panic! The problem was, my body felt like I couldn’t move, like there was a disconnect from my mind and my body. After the CT scan I was back in the room. All I could think about was when I can get out of that ED and when those feelings of anxiety would stop! It was literally, the worst feeling in the world, so hard to describe, but I have never felt so uncomfortable and anxious, yet unable to do anything about it. I wanted to rip out my IV and run out of the ASAP! It took an entire 3 DAYS before I started to feel “normal” again! It was torture. Worst experience. Never, ever take Compazine if you can avoid it. I now have Compazine listed as an allergy.”

Fiona March 17, 2019

“I was prescribed this med in pill form for nausea from my chemotherapy as a backup in case Zofran did not work. Because Zofran caused me constipation I asked my care team if I could use the Compazine as the first defence. They said go ahead and try it. While taking this med I didn't want to sleep, didn't want to be awake, couldn't sit, couldn't stand or wait in line, had to pace back and forth to stop myself from doing something drastic. I snapped at loved ones because I was so desperate. I felt fear and dread and paranoia. At first I thought it was the chemotherapy I was on that was causing all these things but I finally figured out it was the Compazine. You snap out of the horrible side effects about 12 to 24 hours after taking your last dose. It feels like you are breaking a fever and finally feel more relaxed and relieved. I stopped taking it. Hoping this review will be helpful for those on chemo. Sometimes with all the drugs we take it's hard to pinpoint which one is the culprit.”

Learn more about Nausea/Vomiting