User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, Travel Sickness, Travel-Ease, Verticalm …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Meclizine.

Meclizine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Motion Sickness.

Reviews for Meclizine to treat Motion Sickness

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine is a game changer!!!! My husband & I have a 28 ft boat which my husband loves offshore fishing!! But I get terrible sea sickness! Even if it's less than a foot! Tried Dramamine and it never worked I would be green in less than an hour!! But then I discovered Bonine "God Sent" took 1 pill! The chewable & lasted all day fishing! Not too mention it was rough seas about 2 1/2 to 3 feet!! It was amazing!! So I'm sold definitely a Bonine fan. It was a game changer for me! This stuff truly work."

123blinky September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "My sister and I have a long history of motion sickness: a rocking chair or porch swing is enough to set it off for us! This summer we took a trip to Jordan, Israel, Greece and Italy where we traveled on planes, buses, trains and ferries and rode in taxis, rented cars and jeeps--and camels and donkeys in the desert!--without any trouble at all, as long as we took our Bonine every morning. We can't say enough about this product's efficacy!"

KSparrow September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I have been on both a 5 day cruise and just returned from a 7 day cruise. Was introduced to Bonine on first cruise by a friend, also on the cruise, who provided the Bonine for all 4 "cruisers"; not one got seasick. This last 7 day cruise, I took my 14 yr old daughter who also did not get sick. It did make me a little drowsy so I skipped it one morning we were in port for the day. I forgot to take it when I re-boarded the boat and was feeling woozy and remembered I hadn't taken it that morning. I popped the Bonine and immediately felt fine. Have not heard of any friends being successful with prescribed seasick meds, and not one complaint taking the Bonine. Thank you Bonine for a fabulous 7 days!"

VickieJ. August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been dealing with motion sick type issues for years. Meclizine does not work, regardless of the dosage- even if taken at the first onset of symptoms. It has been totally useless for me. In fact, the only thing that does work is Diphenhydramine. Dramamine is NOT the same. It may have Diphenhydramine in it but they combine it with chlorotheophylline to reduce the sedative effects. It must alter the entire chemistry of it or something. They rename the active ingredient Dimenhydrinate, much less effective than Diphenhydramine or Benedryl... Anyways, I gave the Meclizine two stars because I never notice any adverse effects from it despite being very sensitive to medications... I know some people it works for, just not me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I took Bonine for sea sickness prevention. In the middle of the night, I had a seizure and was hospitalized for one day."

Lars2 May 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried meclazine as a prophylactic to motion sickness while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with mixed results. The first time out was a complete failure with severe nausea and vomiting accompanied by diarrhea. The second time was a little better, no diarrhea and limited vomiting but quite acute nausea. Won't use it again for this purpose, probably won't go out on the gulf anytime soon either, No noticeable side effects with either event."

RickyJoe48 April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I have had 2 middle ear operations. Half my coclea is gone so my equilibrium is constantly off.. very dizzy all the time! Bonine is a god send!"

Baby Gi (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "works better on a mostly empty stomach. Took 2 bonine 25 mg pills an hour and a half before my flight, felt virtually no motion sickness on the initial flights or connections. It works!"

Hate flying (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I hadn't been on a plane in 6 years, and I had 2 back to back flights in which I was extremely sick and threw up. I took 2 Bonine for the flight back home and I felt absolutely no motion sickness!!! I'm so thankful I got Bonine, now I don't dread airplanes anymore!"

Plane sick no more! August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I always get travel sickness in the backseat of a car to going on a plane. With the pill, I've never felt better. It's like I don't get sick."

Pbfulbright April 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I wanted to take a helicopter ride while on a trip to Kauai. I have a horrible history of motion sickness. Someone suggested Bonine so I tried that. I not only made it through the entire 90 minute ride, but I actually enjoyed it and didn't once have the horrible motion sick feeling. "

RJarman October 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I love to fish but would get very seasick. Once I discovered Bonine I never got seasick again! I take one the day before and one just before i get on the boat. Works great!"

Mrocciarm September 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "My youngest son gets carsick after being in the car for 30 minutes. I discovered these tablets and give him a half of a pill an hour before we leave as directed, and he's golden. He does not experience drowsiness and acts like his normal self. Trips have become manageable now and I don't cringe with the puke bucket."

Working Mom of 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I learned to sail keelboats 8 years ago. I love it, but am prone to seasickness. I tried ginger initially but that was ineffective. Then a friend suggested Bonine and I have used it ever since. I don't feel drowsy while sailing, but on the drive home after sailing and all the next day I can be very drowsy. To combat the drowsiness I tried reducing my dose, I now take 1/3-1/2 a tablet each time I go out (once or twice a week), increasing the dose up to 1-1/2 tablets if I expect rough seas. Over the 7 years of twice a week use, I have only had trouble twice in stormy 6 ft seas. Highly recommend, but figure out your best dose. I have taken it for up to 10 days continuously without ill effects."

dlb333 March 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine works great for when vertigo hits from additional fluid in your balance mechanism in your inner ear. Even when no cruising or flying . However be careful of the getting pregnant warning."

Drewdrew2 January 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After years of suffering motion sickness, I finally tried Bonine. I've been taking it for about 2 years now for car rides longer than an hour and plane rides. For me, it only works if I take it at least an hour before travel. If I take it when I'm already sick, it only works about 50% for me. This wonderful medicine has allowed me to travel. Before, I used to dread going any distance. I do get a little bit drowsy, but not to the point where I cannot function. I can still work, sight see, etc. I sleep wonderfully when I'm on it!"

Karen3339 January 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have a very poor vestibular system which causes severe vertigo, dizziness, nausea when travelling. I usually use gravol (natural product, 550 mg) and my travel bracelets for short flights (less than 2 hours), unfortunately, I was sick throughout the plane ride due to bad weather and seemed it set the tone prior to my first cruise. The doctor gave me meclizine which really helped, still had some turbulence in the stomach so I purchased "Motion Ease" oils (a drop behind each ear) when the seas were really rough! No motion sickness symptoms AT ALL during the 7-day cruise !!!! Only side effect (not sure if from the cruise or the pills ???) ...was that it took me four days to fully regain my balance (tipping on the right....was kinda weird)"

Franny D April 28, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used meclizine on cruises and boat trips as I am susceptible to sea sickness in moderately rough waters or worse. Although it makes me a little sleepy, it's not so bad that it affects what I do. It just makes it a little hard to get up in the morning- takes me a little longer to feel "awake". Otherwise, I usually feel very good with no nausea. I used it on a *very* rough boat ride once and although I never threw up, I was nauseous for the last half of the trip. However, considering how sick others were, I felt it was still helping me quite a bit."

Nessz (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "On the advise of a friend my wife and I started taking Bonine 24 hrs before we departed on a small ship cruise in the Caribbean. It was the best advise we could have gotten because at night while traveling between the islands the weather was very very rough. Over half the people on the cruise were extremely sea sick and miserable. We felt fine and had no issues at all. I highly recommend this product."

Itwasrough September 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "I didn't get motion sickness until AFTER we got off our 7 day cruise. I have been fighting nausea and dizziness for a week now (The doctor said it is normal to suffer this after a cruise), after reading these reviews, I went and bought Bonine. I took one pill and I feel great! Sure wish I had researched this a week ago!"

Helenvb66 June 18, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Used it for scuba diving from a boat. Before using meclizine, couldn't keep my stomach contents where they belonged. Ruined several dive trips. After taking 25mg, I got to watch the other divers handing over the boat feeding the fish with their breakfast. Heavy seas, no problem. Got it at Target."

Mrediam April 29, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "My husband and I went on a 3 night Bahamas cruise for a romantic getaway.. I get "sea sick" when traveling at times, but was thinking big ship = less motion? Wrong! I was sick by dinner @6pm and we boarded at 4pm. I was so upset :( crying, nauseous, disappointed. My husband & I went to the gift shop & found Bonine. I took 2 & got very drowsy but no more sea sickness. I decided the next dose I would take 1 pill & see if that went better..it did! So for the rest I'd the trip I took 1 pill every recommended dosing time, and I did not have sickness or drowsiness again. Bonine was amazing for me! Highly recommend it and it was worth every penny."

JVC0914 March 29, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use to dread flights, elevators and fishing trips because of sickness. Took Bonine on a snorkeling trip and was actually able to eat on the boat! It really works for me and I am amazed because I have tried everything and doubted this medication would help. I highly recommend Meclizine!"

Jdk41 February 13, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine is a miracle if you are bothered by motion sickness. I take a caffeine pill, with Bonine to combat drowsiness. The combination of the two, is a winner for me."

Anonymous September 27, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine): "Bonine did not work at all for me and I really suffered during a 2-hour flight."

Janabob August 11, 2011