User Reviews for Meclizine to treat Motion Sickness

Also known as: Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Motion-Time, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Travel Sickness, Antrizine, Dramamine II, D-Vert, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous Travel-Ease Sea-Calm

Meclizine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Motion Sickness.

Reviews for Meclizine

Surfer girl June 12, 2020

“I’ve taken Bonine for motion sickness, or if I wake up and my head feels a little off, I get the one that says less drowsy, and it works great, a lot better than regular dramamine that knocked me out. I don’t even think it makes me drowsy.”

Vs · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2019

“I took Bonine prior to a return airplane flight home due to experiencing motion sickness on a flight out of state. This worked so well for me. Even during turbulence, I felt great. An added bonus was it seemed to reduce the intensity and frequency of hot flashes that I've been dealing with for the past year!”

Theresa November 12, 2019

Bonine (meclizine): “I took Bonine on recommendation before going to Universal Studios as some of the motion simulated rides there make me feel nauseous. It’s been 2.5 days and I am still so incredibly drowsy. I’ve been drinking lots of water each day to try and flush it out if my system, but it seems to be taking an incredibly long time to wear off completely. I won’t be taking this again. I’m going back to Dramamine.”

Alaska girl · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

“I used meclizine for a 10 day boat trip around Kodiak Island AK which has major waves. I definitely get seasick easily, and I wasn’t seasick once! Took 1 pill every eve. I don’t feel like I had too many side effects-slept heavy, sometimes tired but not bad compared to the regular Dramamine (diphenhydramine). I definitely had super vivid dreams every night. Others on the boat taking it shared that same experience. Some of my dreams were kind of obsessive and annoying but still slept good.”

Ellejae October 9, 2019

“I took a couple of Meclizine Hydrochloride a good few hours before a boat trip in Gran Canaria, however after no less than 30mins on the trip I come over feeling really rough. To cut the story short, I faced a miserable 3hrs on the boat, and threw up countless times. Worst antiemetic I've ever used and certainly won't use it again.”

Colt45 · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2018

Bonine (meclizine): “Works good but after 24 hours, need to sleep for at least 8 hours. OBTW - I have a USCG (US coast guard) license and it specifically prohibits taking Bonine within 24 hours of operating a vessel for hire. Kinda stupid rule if you ask me. Seems like a seasick captain would not be a good idea!”

Chrissy · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2018

“I really don't feel any better but I have only been on it for 4 days it will take sometime to get into my body I guess. I go see my doctor here soon.”

123blinky September 24, 2017

Bonine (meclizine): “Bonine is a game changer!!!! My husband & I have a 28 ft boat which my husband loves offshore fishing!! But I get terrible sea sickness! Even if it's less than a foot! Tried Dramamine and it never worked I would be green in less than an hour!! But then I discovered Bonine "God Sent" took 1 pill! The chewable & lasted all day fishing! Not too mention it was rough seas about 2 1/2 to 3 feet!! It was amazing!! So I'm sold definitely a Bonine fan. It was a game changer for me! This stuff truly work.”

KSparrow September 7, 2017

Bonine (meclizine): “My sister and I have a long history of motion sickness: a rocking chair or porch swing is enough to set it off for us! This summer we took a trip to Jordan, Israel, Greece and Italy where we traveled on planes, buses, trains and ferries and rode in taxis, rented cars and jeeps--and camels and donkeys in the desert!--without any trouble at all, as long as we took our Bonine every morning. We can't say enough about this product's efficacy!”

VickieJ. August 21, 2017

Bonine (meclizine): “I have been on both a 5 day cruise and just returned from a 7 day cruise. Was introduced to Bonine on first cruise by a friend, also on the cruise, who provided the Bonine for all 4 "cruisers"; not one got seasick. This last 7 day cruise, I took my 14 yr old daughter who also did not get sick. It did make me a little drowsy so I skipped it one morning we were in port for the day. I forgot to take it when I re-boarded the boat and was feeling woozy and remembered I hadn't taken it that morning. I popped the Bonine and immediately felt fine. Have not heard of any friends being successful with prescribed seasick meds, and not one complaint taking the Bonine. Thank you Bonine for a fabulous 7 days!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 26, 2017

“Been dealing with motion sick type issues for years. Meclizine does not work, regardless of the dosage- even if taken at the first onset of symptoms. It has been totally useless for me. In fact, the only thing that does work is Diphenhydramine. Dramamine is NOT the same. It may have Diphenhydramine in it but they combine it with chlorotheophylline to reduce the sedative effects. It must alter the entire chemistry of it or something. They rename the active ingredient Dimenhydrinate, much less effective than Diphenhydramine or Benedryl... Anyways, I gave the Meclizine two stars because I never notice any adverse effects from it despite being very sensitive to medications... I know some people it works for, just not me.”

Lars2 May 27, 2017

Bonine (meclizine): “I took Bonine for sea sickness prevention. In the middle of the night, I had a seizure and was hospitalized for one day.”

RickyJoe48 April 30, 2017

“I have tried meclazine as a prophylactic to motion sickness while fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with mixed results. The first time out was a complete failure with severe nausea and vomiting accompanied by diarrhea. The second time was a little better, no diarrhea and limited vomiting but quite acute nausea. Won't use it again for this purpose, probably won't go out on the gulf anytime soon either, No noticeable side effects with either event.”

Baby Gi · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 12, 2017

Bonine (meclizine): “I have had 2 middle ear operations. Half my coclea is gone so my equilibrium is constantly off.. very dizzy all the time! Bonine is a god send!”

Hate flying · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2016

Bonine (meclizine): “works better on a mostly empty stomach. Took 2 bonine 25 mg pills an hour and a half before my flight, felt virtually no motion sickness on the initial flights or connections. It works!”

Plane sick no more! August 23, 2016

Bonine (meclizine): “I hadn't been on a plane in 6 years, and I had 2 back to back flights in which I was extremely sick and threw up. I took 2 Bonine for the flight back home and I felt absolutely no motion sickness!!! I'm so thankful I got Bonine, now I don't dread airplanes anymore!”

Pbfulbright April 24, 2016

“I always get travel sickness in the backseat of a car to going on a plane. With the pill, I've never felt better. It's like I don't get sick.”

RJarman October 28, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): “I wanted to take a helicopter ride while on a trip to Kauai. I have a horrible history of motion sickness. Someone suggested Bonine so I tried that. I not only made it through the entire 90 minute ride, but I actually enjoyed it and didn't once have the horrible motion sick feeling. ”

Mrocciarm September 13, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): “I love to fish but would get very seasick. Once I discovered Bonine I never got seasick again! I take one the day before and one just before i get on the boat. Works great!”

Working Mom of 2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 25, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): “My youngest son gets carsick after being in the car for 30 minutes. I discovered these tablets and give him a half of a pill an hour before we leave as directed, and he's golden. He does not experience drowsiness and acts like his normal self. Trips have become manageable now and I don't cringe with the puke bucket.”

dlb333 March 3, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): “I learned to sail keelboats 8 years ago. I love it, but am prone to seasickness. I tried ginger initially but that was ineffective. Then a friend suggested Bonine and I have used it ever since. I don't feel drowsy while sailing, but on the drive home after sailing and all the next day I can be very drowsy. To combat the drowsiness I tried reducing my dose, I now take 1/3-1/2 a tablet each time I go out (once or twice a week), increasing the dose up to 1-1/2 tablets if I expect rough seas. Over the 7 years of twice a week use, I have only had trouble twice in stormy 6 ft seas. Highly recommend, but figure out your best dose. I have taken it for up to 10 days continuously without ill effects.”

Drewdrew2 January 17, 2015

Bonine (meclizine): “Bonine works great for when vertigo hits from additional fluid in your balance mechanism in your inner ear. Even when no cruising or flying . However be careful of the getting pregnant warning.”

Karen3339 January 10, 2015

“After years of suffering motion sickness, I finally tried Bonine. I've been taking it for about 2 years now for car rides longer than an hour and plane rides. For me, it only works if I take it at least an hour before travel. If I take it when I'm already sick, it only works about 50% for me. This wonderful medicine has allowed me to travel. Before, I used to dread going any distance. I do get a little bit drowsy, but not to the point where I cannot function. I can still work, sight see, etc. I sleep wonderfully when I'm on it!”

Franny D April 28, 2014

“I have a very poor vestibular system which causes severe vertigo, dizziness, nausea when travelling. I usually use gravol (natural product, 550 mg) and my travel bracelets for short flights (less than 2 hours), unfortunately, I was sick throughout the plane ride due to bad weather and seemed it set the tone prior to my first cruise. The doctor gave me meclizine which really helped, still had some turbulence in the stomach so I purchased "Motion Ease" oils (a drop behind each ear) when the seas were really rough! No motion sickness symptoms AT ALL during the 7-day cruise !!!! Only side effect (not sure if from the cruise or the pills ???) ...was that it took me four days to fully regain my balance (tipping on the right....was kinda weird)”

Nessz · Taken for less than 1 month April 8, 2014

“I have used meclizine on cruises and boat trips as I am susceptible to sea sickness in moderately rough waters or worse. Although it makes me a little sleepy, it's not so bad that it affects what I do. It just makes it a little hard to get up in the morning- takes me a little longer to feel "awake". Otherwise, I usually feel very good with no nausea. I used it on a *very* rough boat ride once and although I never threw up, I was nauseous for the last half of the trip. However, considering how sick others were, I felt it was still helping me quite a bit.”

Learn more about Motion Sickness

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)