User Reviews for Scopolamine

Also known as: Transderm-Scop

Scopolamine has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 184 ratings on Drugs.com. 43% of those users who reviewed Scopolamine reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Motion Sickness
6.1
Nausea/Vomiting
4.1
Parkinsonian Tremor
Summary of Scopolamine reviews 5.6 184 reviews

Reviews for Scopolamine

Shtiknit June 10, 2021

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “I used the patch for 5 days before taking it off because it didn’t help nausea and I was starting to get blurry vision. 2 days later, I was dealing w/ significantly worse nausea than I had when I was prescribed the drug, my vision was blurrier, had a strong, painful sensitivity to light, felt like my eyes were burning. My dr failed to disclose withdrawal & adverse side effects of the medication. I feared I was going blind and I began forgetting things & feeling disoriented & dizzy. Now it’s been a week since I stopped and I haven’t been able to keep food down in 6 days. This may be a safe drug for most people—my reaction to this medication isn't common, but it’s an intense drug & can cause debilitating symptoms for weeks after using the patch for only days. Be sure you trust your prescribing doc and that he or she discloses possible side effects and risk factors because I assure you that you will prefer motion sickness over the withdrawal symptoms of this medication”

Timmy · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2021

For Motion Sickness: “I was planning going for a boat ride to meet up with friends on an island in SoCal Friday. As directed, I placed the patch behind my right ear hours before departure. I ended up not going due to my 2nd Moderna vaccine I received on Thursday was acting up Friday morning. I took the patch off and didn’t feel any negative effects. On Saturday night I went out with friends and had a few cocktails. I put the patch on what a mistake. I took it off last night cause I forgot it was on and now I’m going through a bunch of withdrawals symptoms such as dizziness, confusion, dry mouth. My cousin who is a doctor said it shouldn’t last too much longer. I should be better by the morning or later afternoon. Regardless, never taking this patch again.”

Jojo · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2021

For Motion Sickness: “Do not use this! Our whole party of 7 had adverse reaction. Dilated pupils, blurry vision. All around sick feeling. This is 4 days after we removed it. I took this med before without problems, this time was much different.Never again.”

Kinnon December 18, 2020

For Motion Sickness: “I would give scopolamine a zero if it was an option and I definitely think this drug should be banned. I was prescribed this medication for motion sickness and advised to keep the patch on for 72 hours. The side effects I experienced were dizziness, fatigue, cognitive issues and it didn’t even stop the motion sickness. The worst side effect I experienced was blurred vision that never went away even after I removed the patch. I ended up having to get glasses and now even 11 months later my vision is still deteriorating so much that I will be having to have another exam soon to increase my prescription. DO NOT RECOMMEND.”

MotionSicknessSucks November 15, 2013

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “This medicine is a Godsend. I suffer from SEVERE motion sickness (cars, planes, boats, trains, etc...) Bonine/Dramamine don't work for me at all. I tried the Scop patch and I couldn't believe it, no motion sickness! I was able to make it being a passenger in the car going down the entire pacific coast highway without even feeling slight nausea. If you know what that road is like, you know how crazy that road is for someone with motion sickness. Side effects were light, slight dry mouth, slight dilated pupils, not much drowsiness. Only negative is the withdrawal I had after using 3 patches one after the other, but that was easily controlled with Dramamine. A ”

Nix the Patch August 11, 2017

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “DO NOT USE THIS PATCH - I used it for a 7 day cruise and in hindsight probably didn't need it for motion sickness as cruise ships are large without movement unless there is a rare turbulence. While on the patch I had cotton mouth, dry skin, and dilated pupils. After taking the patch off when I got home, I have suffered much more than any motion sickness could have caused. I have had severe headache, neck ache, upset stomach, dizziness, eye issues, and fatigue which has been difficult to be back at work when I planned to come home refreshed from a relaxing vacation. It has been 5 days and it is STILL HORRIBLE and I wonder if I will ever feel normal and good again! This drug should be BANNED!!”

Itzme · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2020

For Motion Sickness: “I used this drug for the first time almost a year ago while traveling from the US to Spain, and back again. It was wonderful and I had no vertigo or motion sickness. No side effects. I used it again (2 patches) within the last week and have had severe blurry vision for things close up, to where I can’t see what’s on my phone screen or read off of paper. I have also had really bad dry mouth. While it works well for me for the intended use, the blurred vision is very bad and I will not use the patch again.”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2021

For Motion Sickness: “Have used Scopaderm patches for around 10 years for travel sickness with only minor side effects (dry mouth, sleepy). Don’t know what they have changed with ingredients/dosage but the last ones I had made me feel really ill whilst using and I had terrible balance, motion sickness after I came off the ship & no longer had the patch on which lasted for a week. Gutted as they were originally a game changer for me.”

A. Cordova · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2016

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “I can finally enjoy roller coasters again! I just read AND follow the directions. I've used it on my last 3 amusement park trips. No issues, no problems, no nausea and vomiting after the rides! It's an anticholinergic medication so the side effects are expected, i.e. dry mouth, pupil dilation. They were mild. Drink fluids and wear sunglasses. Let's not be over dramatic.”

Survivor June 12, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I was on scopolamine while in the hospital for gastritis from post gallbladder surgery and blood clot from pregnancy. At first I noticed my throat swelling and extreme dry mouth. I told the doctor and he didn't seem worried. Then I noticed that I was getting very agitated and nervous. When I left the hospital, I was shaking like crazy. My heart would race all the time. I went to the ER, and they gave me drugs for anxiety and sent me home, but all they did was make me sleep. I would wake up the next morning with tremors. I finally had a major panic attack and started thinking people were out to get me. I was diagnosed with all the symptoms of extreme hyperthyroidism, but my thyroid was fine. I got to an internal medicine doctor, and he took me off the patch. My inflammation went down but I came off the drug hard. My eyes dilated , and I had blurry vision for several days. I then started crying and physically crashed. It is going to take time to recover mentally what this patch did to me.”

Lime88 March 21, 2019

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “3/20/19. I am a 47 year old female. I tried the Transderm-Scop patch to help with motion sickness on thrill rides. First patch fell off that night, so I placed a new patch on the following morning and wore it for 1 1/2 days. I took it off mid-day as it was irritating my skin. Up to that point I was very pleased to be nausea free. Things changed about 8 hours after taking off the patch. Stationary objects in my house began to twist and turn very slowly. For example, my computer monitor appeared to turn my direction, and my ceiling fan blades moved like octopus tentacles. I looked up side effects and read that it can cause hallucinations. Unfortunately, it is still happening 12 hrs later. Now my pupils are slightly dilated, and I'm seeing double, along with slight nausea and a headache. The effectiveness of the medication during use does not outweigh these side effects. It is rather scary to see things that you know are not real, but yet have no control over them.”

Polish Patty · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2013

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “My husband used the patch for the first time to a long plane ride to Vegas. He had put on a total of three patches for the duration of our trip there. Upon returning home, he removed the patch and within 24 hours became violently ill. Six days later he has lost ten pounds and gets out of bed only to go to the bathroom. I believe when this patch is dispensed the physician or pharmacy should red flag the drug as far as side affects go. My suggestion is to use with extreme caution.”

Anonymous March 6, 2021

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I've had a horrible experience with this patch. I had a minor back surgery and the patch was placed behind my left ear, but no instructions given. The day after surgery I tried to go for a walk, but when I stepped outside everything became extremely bright and discolored, and was disoriented. I noticed one dilated pupil. I took the patch off after having it on for 32 hours. The next day I felt incredibly weak, tired, dizzy, lightheaded, blurry vision, anxious, nervous, and a headache. I ended up going to the ER when the symptoms continued. They seemed to be clueless to all these side effects from the patch. It's day three now and I'm still having issues. I tried to take a quick walk, didn't even go a block and I felt like my legs were going to give out, and like I was going to have a panic attack. The last thing I need after back surgery is being dizzy and off balance. This medicine is dangerous. I can't believe doctors aren't more up to speed about the debilitating side effects.”

Gigi · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “Do not take scopolamine! It’s feels like it is poisoning my body. I was given the trans dermal patch during an ER visit for un-retractable Ménière’s Disease vertigo and vomiting. I had never heard of the med before. The doctor said it was a safe option that worked fast. It stopped my vomiting instantly along with making me so drowsy I couldn’t stand and had to be wheeled to the car. I slept for 48 hours straight, while just having the energy to make it to the bathroom. I removed the patch after 48 hours and proceeded to get dry heaves, a horrible rash on my hands and feet (like I had been burned.) Anxiety, hallucinations, insomnia, eye pain, dizziness, body aches and muscle spasms. Still in bed suffering. I can’t imagine what would have happened if I left the patch on for the additional allotted day.”

Mermaidgirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

For Motion Sickness: “Horrible! Do not use!! I used this to help me with motion sickness for cruises. It did help with the motion sickness but I had such a dry mouth I couldn't enjoy the food and it affected my vision so I couldn't see to read anything. I ended up going without my glasses and contacts which meant I could see up close but not far away. After taking the patch off I had severe nausea and dizziness, all I could do for 2 days was sleep. I lost 10lbs in 3 days and still feel nauseous. This patch needs to come with more information on the withdrawal symptoms. I will never cruise again and will definitely not use this patch ever!!!”

Frip · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “I just used for the first time. BE CAREFUL! I was on a cruise. I didn't get sick but had extreme blurred vision, dry mouth and felt like I didn't have "higher brain function". I "couldn't think". I was like a zombie. I felt like I couldn't plan simple chains of thoughts, low motivation and just did not feel like myself. Upon taking it off I got nausea, my mind felt numb, fatigue and I'm on day four of not feeling normal. It's sorta scary. I'm glad I didn't have to immediately go back to work because I seriously could not think straight. I think the cons outweigh the pros and maybe next time I'll try a different product.”

Nate Grey · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2020

For Motion Sickness: “I’m so glad I got worried and decided to always look up whatever is being put into my body. I had the patch on for a couple of hours before took it off and then tried it on again 1 hour after taking it off. I called my pharmacy and complained of racing heart and not really being able to see. So they advised that I take it off and keep it off. I took it off and my memory went to crap a couple of hours later with some dizziness and difficulties reading. I don’t know what’s going to happen to me now but I hope my withdrawals will be nonexistent or only a week at the most. This is why I just never trust anyone automatically and you shouldn’t either. Reading all these stories makes me feel VERY lucky that I took it off after about 4 hours of having it on.”

KDW · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I had surgery a month ago and the anesthesiologist prescribed a Scopolamine transdermal patch due to my issues with motion sickness. I never had any issues with nausea and vomiting, not right after surgery, or the next several days afterwards either. I didn't have any side affects while wearing the patch or once I took it off either. It worked wonderfully! The nurse who gave me my discharge instructions said I can leave the patch on for 3 days, and also told me to be extremely careful when removing it. She told me to try to be super careful when peeling the patch off, and do NOT touch your eyes until you can wash your hands really well TWICE. And, to also wrap the patch in a Kleenex or napkin then shove it way down deep into the garbage can. She said if the medication gets into the eyes it'll dilate them and cause blurriness for 2-3 days. I took her instructions to heart and followed them closely.”

CruiseGirl · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2018

For Motion Sickness: “I believe this medication is effective for motion sickness as long as you do NOT wear it more than 72 hours. After that time, you could experience severe and debilitating withdrawal syndrome. I was not informed by my doctor of this possibility. I removed the patch 10 days ago and am still having withdrawal syndrome. My prescribing doctor told me after I contacted her about this that I needed to see my family physician. Please exercise caution when using this patch. It made a vacation of a lifetime very uncomfortable for me! Thankfully I don’t have to go to work now that I’m home, as I wouldn’t have been able to. I don’t even feel comfortable driving.”

RodneyCMunch July 14, 2016

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “This stuff works fantastically for motion sickness and VR sickness. I got my doctor to give me an RX basically because I wanted to play around with a VR headset yet everything made me sick. In addition if I went to amusement parks, I'd get sick at just about everything. If I read in a car, I get sick. If I got on a boat, even if it's docked, I get sick. 3D movies at the regular movie theater, those make me sick. Certain video games make me sick. Flying on an airplane makes me sick. Everything makes me sick, but with this - it was pure magic. I could do everything above without getting sick. For me I had zero side effects while on it, I felt completely normal using it and had no withdrawal, nothing. I only use it sparingly as it's expensive.”

NeverAgain2012 · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2012

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “My friend and I both used the patch to prevent motion sickness on our first cruise. By day 3 of the cruise, I had double vision, and could not even read the menu at dinner. I also began to get a horrible migraine, complete with flashes of light in my vision. I assumed the patch was wearing off, so I removed the old one and put on a new one. By the morning of day 4, we removed the patch after reading possible side effects on the box. My vision did not return to normal until day 6. I spoke with the doctors in the infirmary, and they said they often see this as a side effect to the medication. My friend experienced the same double vision, although hers began a day behind mine. ”

Jessidoo November 12, 2008

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “These patches are a miracle. I get motion sickness just thinking about getting on a boat, or riding a roller coaster let alone going round and round. I used these patches on my first 10 day cruise and didn't get any motion sickness. Even when the boat was rocking so hard that they put up caution tape on all the doors and barf bags on every garbage can; there I was chipper and feeling 100%. The only downfall is the dry mouth, but it is worth not getting sick. I recommend it to anyone.”

Tintinmilou July 8, 2015

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “This worked great for me. We went fishing on a small boat in the ocean for three days (going out each day) in some pretty choppy seas, and I never felt nauseous, nor did I get sleepy. I hate the drowsiness I get with Dramamine, so this was very welcomed. One patch lasted for all three days, so it was economic, too. The only challenge is ensuring the patch stays on during showers.”

Anonymous May 12, 2011

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “I used this on my first cruise and it worked great. It was a week long cruise so I used two patches (each one lasts three days, and the last day was the travel home so I was no longer on ship). Like many others who have posted here, I had pretty bad side effects that came on almost exactly 24 hours after I removed the second patch -- mostly vertigo and nausea. They lasted 72 hours, the length of one patch dose. I have read that you should only use the patch for one dose, the first three days, long enough to tide you over until your body is used to the constant motion, and that the withdrawals only happen if you keep going past that first three days.”

Kat75 April 15, 2017

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “My boyfriend has used this patch many times with success but had slight side effects-mostly blurred vision. I tried it a couple of years ago for our cruise and I had almost every side effect there is to have! I started off almost immediately having blurred vision and my eyes became majorly sensitive to the sunlight. Then I started having a very dry throat (hard time swallowing food), dizziness and my stomach would gurgle (it was weird). I took the patch off when one of the passengers said she got really sick from it. After I took it off, I was ok for about 24 hours and then the real scare happened! I almost completely lost my vision, I could barely see straight and was very dizzy for weeks! This should NOT be on the market!”

Anonymous October 10, 2011

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “Wife used the patch, 2 or 3 of them, for an 8 day cruise. She had no sea sickness, but had bad withdrawals. 24 hrs after removing the patch she has nausea, vomiting, dizziness and blurred vision, absolutely miserable for her, and me too. ”

B116 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2015

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine) for Motion Sickness: “Overall, this is great for preventing motion sickness. I used it for a 5 day cruise and I didn't not get sick. I give this an 8 because it came with some pretty annoying side effects: severe cotton mouth, occasional drowsiness, and really blurred vision.”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “If 0 was an option, I’d give it that score. I got this patch put behind my ear before surgery and it helped my nausea and vomiting upon waking up from anesthesia. After I had taken it off 72 hours later, my pupils were extremely dilated and I could not see at all since my vision was so blurry. The vertigo sensation is terrible as it feels like I’m rocking back and forth on a boat. The nausea is terrible now too! I wasn’t told of any of these side effects and would have never had this put on if I knew! I told my doctor about it a day after removing the first patch (because I didn’t know my symptoms were from withdrawal) and he prescribed ANOTHER patch for me to take! Out of confusion on what was wrong with me and being so sick from my symptoms, I wore another patch for another 3 days! My lesson is being learned the hard way. Hoping I’ll get better and back to normal sooner than later. All of these terrible withdraw symptoms are NOT worth wearing that patch! Never again!!”