User Reviews for Dimenhydrinate

Also known as: Dramamine, Dramamine for Kids, Driminate, Calm-X, Hydrate, Dramoject, Dymenate, DMH, Triptone, Dramamine Original Formula, Dramamine Chewable, Travel-Eze, Dimetabs, Dinate, Dramanate

Dimenhydrinate has an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 from a total of 63 ratings on Drugs.com. 89% of those users who reviewed Dimenhydrinate reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Nausea/Vomiting   9.0
Motion Sickness   8.9
Insomnia  Off-label 8.0
Summary of Dimenhydrinate reviews 8.8 63 reviews

Reviews for Dimenhydrinate

Charolette · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 14, 2021

For Motion Sickness: “I like the meds for motion sickness but the pills give me bad heartburn. I don't know what's in them but every time I take them I get it.”

JessW December 1, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Motion Sickness: “I've had moderate motion sickness for almost my entire life, and it's only gotten worse into adulthood. I have Generalized Anxiety and Panic disorders on top of being extremely emetophobic (fear of nausea/vomiting), so you can imagine how those play into the motion sickness and snowball it from there. When my Panic Disorder was at its worst, I would have to take two dramamine and two .5mg xanax just to get through a 2-hour car ride without vomiting. I'd literally have to sedate myself to go anywhere that wasn't less than 15 minutes from where I lived. Nowadays, any time I go out or feel nauseous, I pop 1-2 dramamine depending on the severity. It does away with the nausea in roughly a half hour and calms me down too. Honestly don't know where I'd be without dramamine (original formula). It allows me to visit my family, and allows me to actually enjoy car rides rather than sit hyperventilating or hanging my head out of the window like a sick dog. Thank you dramamine!”

Wally · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have indigestion issues really bad ,I rarely drink alcohol ,but when I do drink it’s usually one drink or two because my stomach hates it. Not thinking and being stupid one day drank too much and got sick nauseous . Could not hold down even water. I took 2 Dramamine because the vomiting would not stop and finally I felt more calm and my stomach eased up. Lesson learned oh and it helps with my anxiety and insomnia .”

Nck · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Went out with my friends on a Saturday night, got home around 3AM. Had to wake up at 6AM for work and I woke up with the spins and felt like throwing up. I continued to feel like this for the remainder of the shift until I saw Dramamine at the gas station on my lunch break. Decided to take 2 and I felt soooo much better. This brought back my appetite and stopped the spinning/nausea.”

AlwaysPuking · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 19, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “The dramamine helped my nausea and vomiting for a few days and then lost its charm. It hasn't worked since.”

Mark · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 15, 2020

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I have problems with nausea related to acid reflux and dramamine works great after 15-30 minutes when taken as needed at only 25 mg. I do however get the common side effect of tiredness, but I usually fell well enough to stay awake. Interestingly I don't feel this side effect with a product not available in the US which is a chewing gum that contains 20 mg of dimenhydrinate and is chewed for 10 minutes. I don't feel tired at all when I use the chewing gums.”

Jeff · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate): “I have sleep issues and have for years. I've been on the same low dose of clonazepam at bedtime for probably 20 years so it doesn't work so well anymore. We have tried several add on drugs to increase my sleep time but nothing worked well or had horrible side effects. Finally after 2 years of trying things my doctor said "have you tried benadryl or Dramamine"? Seemed like a million other things both natural and pharmaceutical but I never had tried Dramamine. Well it does makes you very tired! For a good 12 hours it makes you tired so you need to cut it in half and take an hour before you go to sleep. I find I can just use it ever other day. Your body won't get used to it that way to either. Could possibly be too fatiguing for some to use on a regular basis. For me an excellent sleep aid suggested by my physician. It seems to calm you to, as well as lowering your BP a little bit ... neither bad things! Very pleased.”

Chocolate · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “My family came down with the stomach flu it was bad. I went looking for something that would help but wasn't to expensive, I came across Dramamine and I have to say one after taking one pill it works wonders and it last for 24 hours we've had to take another one but it works I highly recommend it.”

Lee · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 18, 2020

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “I have acid reflux and gastroparesis, so am nauseous most of the time since meds don't work. I found taking just a half of one of the regular generic of dramamine (Equate sold at Wal-Mart) helps tremendously. It evens help with the coughing, since it calms me down without any drowsiness. I also take ginger root nausea med, and just add the equate if needed as a "boost". Can you tell that I've learned, through years, that doctors just try selling drugs that just don't do anything but sell for them?”

Anonymous December 23, 2019

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Never really seemed to work for me as I tried taking it with the stomach flu. I still feel like I’m going to hurl.”

Anonymous October 21, 2019

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Motion Sickness: “I’ll be going on a 1 hour drive with my best friend to Great Wolf Lodge and I’m afraid of getting carsick!! So I texted my mom about this and she’s buying me the medicine. Though I hate being in cars with too much motion it makes me feel sick a lot. But I’m pretty sure I’ll forget all about the sickness once I go on slides and go swimming:)”

whalewatcher · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Motion Sickness: “I took a full pill for a precaution for sea sickness before going on whale watch. I don't usually get sea sick but said what the heck since the Dramamine box said non drowsy. It is now 24 hours later and i am still completely out of it. I had to have someone drive my car home and I fell asleep in the car. I came home and slept 3 hours, then went to dinner and went to bed after and slept for about 10 hrs. Still do not feel like me. So bummed! At least sea sickness is short term.”

Jas21 July 14, 2019

For Insomnia: “I used to take alprazolam for sleep. We tried everything and nothing else worked. Once the CDC started going after doctors for prescribing scheduled meds, my doctor no longer wanted to prescribe it. Tried Benedryl, didn't with at all. Dramamine works like a charm.”

Preggomomma · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

For Nausea/Vomiting: “This stuff is the only stuff that has helped me with my nausea during early pregnancy! I have other kids I need to tend too, and my morning sickness has me in bed wanting to sleep all day. But if I take just one tablet every 24 hours I am up and running at full speed again!”

RhiRhi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 24, 2019

For Insomnia: “I've struggled with insomnia since my early 20's (in my mid 30's now). My doctor had me on trazodone which helped a bit but made me feel off. Dimenhydrinate works like a charm. I can't take it every night but if I do every other or every 3rd night my sleep is greatly improved. Both falling asleep and staying asleep. I also feel fresh in the morning, unlike with other sleeping aids.”

Becky · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2019

Triptone (dimenhydrinate) for Motion Sickness: “Triptone has been the only thing that works for my motion sickness. I can't find it anywhere. I have tried dramamine - does not work. Really wish I could find it again. Traveling now is not so easy.”

sfckusarmy · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2019

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Nausea/Vomiting: “Although it does not take all of the nausea away, it takes it away enough to avoid vomiting when the stomach bug is running its course. Although not indicated for gastroenteritis (aka "stomach flu"), I have used it on many occasions as I own a business; and any day not at work is lost income. I also give it to my children when they are feeling ill enough to vomit. Note- Bonine (meclizine) and "Less-Drowsy Dramamine (meclizine) which our also motion sickness medicine, works even pretty well, but not as well in my opinion for nausea caused by actual sickness.”

Rose · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2019

For Motion Sickness: “Too early to tell if this will work for my constant dizziness yet. Have only taken one tablet as I’ve only just bought my first packet. So far it seems to be working. Fingers crossed.”

vrtmojhobi · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 27, 2018

For Insomnia: “Dramamine works well for me for nausea on long-haul flights but has never, ever over a period of several years made me feel even slightly drowsy which is such a pity. Tried 100 mg yet again last night in the hopes it would do something but zero, absolutely nothing, didn't fall asleep the entire night. Have had chronic insomnia for many years and have tried nearly every relevant prescription available with some success but would like to take something less powerful. Just not dramamine, sadly. Glad it works for some!”

MommaC · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2018

For Insomnia: “I have recently started taking Dramamine for a sleep aid. I was given a prescription med and it has done nothing. I have no trouble falling asleep, I just wake up around 1AM and then I am up for two hours straight. Since taking two tabs of Dramamine every night I have been able to sleep a full 7 hours. Even if I have to go to the bathroom, I can fall right back to sleep. I feel rested in the morning and ready to face the day.”

Cash not sure why but the last · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2018

“I I am not sure why but the last six months I have been dizzy all the time I'm guessing it has to do with age since I'm now 61 and this helps it three times a day if I miss it I'll get dizzy”

Mum · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2018

For Nausea/Vomiting: “I use Dramamine when I have a migraine. It takes away the "hangover" feeling I get. Then regular ibuprofen helps the headache. I am able to function.”

Manicgrey · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2018

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Motion Sickness: “I have always been a roller coaster junkie, but as I've grown up, my equilibrium isn't the same. I'm almost 51, but can take one of these and go on all the rides with my kids that I used to, and I feel great. It also doesn't make me as tired as the other stuff. I can't wait to try it on a plane. Great product!”

Mm · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2018

Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) for Motion Sickness: “I have been seriously dizzy since Jan 2018. Dramamine restores me, so I can work and live the only problem is I take quite a few tabs a day. But for 3 and a half months I can't handle the dizziness!! Dramamine took away my dizzy spells, nausea and vomiting! I feel human again.”

Jootzy · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 1, 2017

For Insomnia: “I have been taking 1/2 of a 50 mg tablet at bedtime for some time now; I get a better nights sleep when I do, also if I do wake up in the night to go to the bathroom I am always able to go right back to sleep. I am just wondering if there is any danger in taking this long term to help with insomnia?”