User Reviews for Scopolamine to treat Motion Sickness

Also known as: Transderm-Scop

Scopolamine has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 126 ratings for the treatment of Motion Sickness. 49% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Scopolamine Rating Summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 35 medications used in the treatment of Motion Sickness.

Reviews for Scopolamine

MotionSicknessSucks November 15, 2013

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “This medicine is a Godsend. I suffer from SEVERE motion sickness (cars, planes, boats, trains, etc...) Bonine/Dramamine don't work for me at all. I tried the Scop patch and I couldn't believe it, no motion sickness! I was able to make it being a passenger in the car going down the entire pacific coast highway without even feeling slight nausea. If you know what that road is like, you know how crazy that road is for someone with motion sickness. Side effects were light, slight dry mouth, slight dilated pupils, not much drowsiness. Only negative is the withdrawal I had after using 3 patches one after the other, but that was easily controlled with Dramamine. A ”

Kinnon December 18, 2020

“I would give scopolamine a zero if it was an option and I definitely think this drug should be banned. I was prescribed this medication for motion sickness and advised to keep the patch on for 72 hours. The side effects I experienced were dizziness, fatigue, cognitive issues and it didn’t even stop the motion sickness. The worst side effect I experienced was blurred vision that never went away even after I removed the patch. I ended up having to get glasses and now even 11 months later my vision is still deteriorating so much that I will be having to have another exam soon to increase my prescription. DO NOT RECOMMEND.”

Nix the Patch August 11, 2017

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “DO NOT USE THIS PATCH - I used it for a 7 day cruise and in hindsight probably didn't need it for motion sickness as cruise ships are large without movement unless there is a rare turbulence. While on the patch I had cotton mouth, dry skin, and dilated pupils. After taking the patch off when I got home, I have suffered much more than any motion sickness could have caused. I have had severe headache, neck ache, upset stomach, dizziness, eye issues, and fatigue which has been difficult to be back at work when I planned to come home refreshed from a relaxing vacation. It has been 5 days and it is STILL HORRIBLE and I wonder if I will ever feel normal and good again! This drug should be BANNED!!”

A. Cordova · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2016

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “I can finally enjoy roller coasters again! I just read AND follow the directions. I've used it on my last 3 amusement park trips. No issues, no problems, no nausea and vomiting after the rides! It's an anticholinergic medication so the side effects are expected, i.e. dry mouth, pupil dilation. They were mild. Drink fluids and wear sunglasses. Let's not be over dramatic.”

Jojo · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2021

“Do not use this! Our whole party of 7 had adverse reaction. Dilated pupils, blurry vision. All around sick feeling. This is 4 days after we removed it. I took this med before without problems, this time was much different.Never again.”

Lime88 March 21, 2019

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “3/20/19. I am a 47 year old female. I tried the Transderm-Scop patch to help with motion sickness on thrill rides. First patch fell off that night, so I placed a new patch on the following morning and wore it for 1 1/2 days. I took it off mid-day as it was irritating my skin. Up to that point I was very pleased to be nausea free. Things changed about 8 hours after taking off the patch. Stationary objects in my house began to twist and turn very slowly. For example, my computer monitor appeared to turn my direction, and my ceiling fan blades moved like octopus tentacles. I looked up side effects and read that it can cause hallucinations. Unfortunately, it is still happening 12 hrs later. Now my pupils are slightly dilated, and I'm seeing double, along with slight nausea and a headache. The effectiveness of the medication during use does not outweigh these side effects. It is rather scary to see things that you know are not real, but yet have no control over them.”

Itzme · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2020

“I used this drug for the first time almost a year ago while traveling from the US to Spain, and back again. It was wonderful and I had no vertigo or motion sickness. No side effects. I used it again (2 patches) within the last week and have had severe blurry vision for things close up, to where I can’t see what’s on my phone screen or read off of paper. I have also had really bad dry mouth. While it works well for me for the intended use, the blurred vision is very bad and I will not use the patch again.”

Polish Patty · Taken for less than 1 month October 27, 2013

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “My husband used the patch for the first time to a long plane ride to Vegas. He had put on a total of three patches for the duration of our trip there. Upon returning home, he removed the patch and within 24 hours became violently ill. Six days later he has lost ten pounds and gets out of bed only to go to the bathroom. I believe when this patch is dispensed the physician or pharmacy should red flag the drug as far as side affects go. My suggestion is to use with extreme caution.”

Mermaidgirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

“Horrible! Do not use!! I used this to help me with motion sickness for cruises. It did help with the motion sickness but I had such a dry mouth I couldn't enjoy the food and it affected my vision so I couldn't see to read anything. I ended up going without my glasses and contacts which meant I could see up close but not far away. After taking the patch off I had severe nausea and dizziness, all I could do for 2 days was sleep. I lost 10lbs in 3 days and still feel nauseous. This patch needs to come with more information on the withdrawal symptoms. I will never cruise again and will definitely not use this patch ever!!!”

Frip · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “I just used for the first time. BE CAREFUL! I was on a cruise. I didn't get sick but had extreme blurred vision, dry mouth and felt like I didn't have "higher brain function". I "couldn't think". I was like a zombie. I felt like I couldn't plan simple chains of thoughts, low motivation and just did not feel like myself. Upon taking it off I got nausea, my mind felt numb, fatigue and I'm on day four of not feeling normal. It's sorta scary. I'm glad I didn't have to immediately go back to work because I seriously could not think straight. I think the cons outweigh the pros and maybe next time I'll try a different product.”

CruiseGirl · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2018

“I believe this medication is effective for motion sickness as long as you do NOT wear it more than 72 hours. After that time, you could experience severe and debilitating withdrawal syndrome. I was not informed by my doctor of this possibility. I removed the patch 10 days ago and am still having withdrawal syndrome. My prescribing doctor told me after I contacted her about this that I needed to see my family physician. Please exercise caution when using this patch. It made a vacation of a lifetime very uncomfortable for me! Thankfully I don’t have to go to work now that I’m home, as I wouldn’t have been able to. I don’t even feel comfortable driving.”

RodneyCMunch July 14, 2016

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “This stuff works fantastically for motion sickness and VR sickness. I got my doctor to give me an RX basically because I wanted to play around with a VR headset yet everything made me sick. In addition if I went to amusement parks, I'd get sick at just about everything. If I read in a car, I get sick. If I got on a boat, even if it's docked, I get sick. 3D movies at the regular movie theater, those make me sick. Certain video games make me sick. Flying on an airplane makes me sick. Everything makes me sick, but with this - it was pure magic. I could do everything above without getting sick. For me I had zero side effects while on it, I felt completely normal using it and had no withdrawal, nothing. I only use it sparingly as it's expensive.”

Nate Grey · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2020

“I’m so glad I got worried and decided to always look up whatever is being put into my body. I had the patch on for a couple of hours before took it off and then tried it on again 1 hour after taking it off. I called my pharmacy and complained of racing heart and not really being able to see. So they advised that I take it off and keep it off. I took it off and my memory went to crap a couple of hours later with some dizziness and difficulties reading. I don’t know what’s going to happen to me now but I hope my withdrawals will be nonexistent or only a week at the most. This is why I just never trust anyone automatically and you shouldn’t either. Reading all these stories makes me feel VERY lucky that I took it off after about 4 hours of having it on.”

NeverAgain2012 · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2012

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “My friend and I both used the patch to prevent motion sickness on our first cruise. By day 3 of the cruise, I had double vision, and could not even read the menu at dinner. I also began to get a horrible migraine, complete with flashes of light in my vision. I assumed the patch was wearing off, so I removed the old one and put on a new one. By the morning of day 4, we removed the patch after reading possible side effects on the box. My vision did not return to normal until day 6. I spoke with the doctors in the infirmary, and they said they often see this as a side effect to the medication. My friend experienced the same double vision, although hers began a day behind mine. ”

Jessidoo November 12, 2008

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “These patches are a miracle. I get motion sickness just thinking about getting on a boat, or riding a roller coaster let alone going round and round. I used these patches on my first 10 day cruise and didn't get any motion sickness. Even when the boat was rocking so hard that they put up caution tape on all the doors and barf bags on every garbage can; there I was chipper and feeling 100%. The only downfall is the dry mouth, but it is worth not getting sick. I recommend it to anyone.”

Tintinmilou July 8, 2015

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “This worked great for me. We went fishing on a small boat in the ocean for three days (going out each day) in some pretty choppy seas, and I never felt nauseous, nor did I get sleepy. I hate the drowsiness I get with Dramamine, so this was very welcomed. One patch lasted for all three days, so it was economic, too. The only challenge is ensuring the patch stays on during showers.”

Anonymous May 12, 2011

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “I used this on my first cruise and it worked great. It was a week long cruise so I used two patches (each one lasts three days, and the last day was the travel home so I was no longer on ship). Like many others who have posted here, I had pretty bad side effects that came on almost exactly 24 hours after I removed the second patch -- mostly vertigo and nausea. They lasted 72 hours, the length of one patch dose. I have read that you should only use the patch for one dose, the first three days, long enough to tide you over until your body is used to the constant motion, and that the withdrawals only happen if you keep going past that first three days.”

Anonymous October 10, 2011

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “Wife used the patch, 2 or 3 of them, for an 8 day cruise. She had no sea sickness, but had bad withdrawals. 24 hrs after removing the patch she has nausea, vomiting, dizziness and blurred vision, absolutely miserable for her, and me too. ”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2021

“Have used Scopaderm patches for around 10 years for travel sickness with only minor side effects (dry mouth, sleepy). Don’t know what they have changed with ingredients/dosage but the last ones I had made me feel really ill whilst using and I had terrible balance, motion sickness after I came off the ship & no longer had the patch on which lasted for a week. Gutted as they were originally a game changer for me.”

Kat75 April 15, 2017

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “My boyfriend has used this patch many times with success but had slight side effects-mostly blurred vision. I tried it a couple of years ago for our cruise and I had almost every side effect there is to have! I started off almost immediately having blurred vision and my eyes became majorly sensitive to the sunlight. Then I started having a very dry throat (hard time swallowing food), dizziness and my stomach would gurgle (it was weird). I took the patch off when one of the passengers said she got really sick from it. After I took it off, I was ok for about 24 hours and then the real scare happened! I almost completely lost my vision, I could barely see straight and was very dizzy for weeks! This should NOT be on the market!”

B116 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2015

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “Overall, this is great for preventing motion sickness. I used it for a 5 day cruise and I didn't not get sick. I give this an 8 because it came with some pretty annoying side effects: severe cotton mouth, occasional drowsiness, and really blurred vision.”

Sick at sea · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2016

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “This was a first time I had tried the patch. I was nervous after having read some of the side effects and reviews. I had put the patch on a few hours prior to a whale watching trip. The waters were very rough and choppy. I normally would have been ill had I not used the patch. It helped my nausea from motion sickness in the car and on the boat trip. I felt tired on the one and half hour car ride back but that could have been from a long day with 3 kids too. Definitely did not effect me like Dramamine does as far as knocking me out to near unconsciousness. I was very please with how it managed my motion sickness. Will be sure to use again when I go on a boat. I may even try it when we go to amusement park's rollercoasters!”

VictoriaMP November 6, 2013

Transderm-Scop (scopolamine): “First time I used the patch, I only started using it 2 hours before the flight and took it off as soon as I got to the place I was staying - about 11 hours. I was very sick for 2 weeks - nauseous and vomiting when in a vehicle. I was alright on the flight but not after I took off the patch. The second time I used it, my auntie who introduced me to the Transderm Scop patch told me I have to leave it on for 3 days and only take it off for shower and put it back on the same place making sure it's dry first. This time I was good. Never felt dizzy or nauseous after 3 days of using it. I never use the patch for more than 3 days and only use half of the patch as it is a small round one. Been using it 4 times since 2005 and it is a life saver”

Don’t do it · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“I cannot believe the doctor even prescribed this without telling me the risk of side effects. As someone said above if I could give it a zero I would. The patch kept me from vomiting but gave me so many negative side effects it was not worth it at all. It’s been almost a week since the patch was removed. I’ve had dizziness, blurred vision, stomach cramps, muscle aches and feel completely disoriented mentally.”

Kitten · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

“I have severe vertigo and meclizine and physical therapy weren't doing the trick so my doctor prescribed me the patches... (please now i'm still being sent to different specialists to treat this). I only lasted 2 days with the patch. My mouth and throat were EXTREMELY dry. To the point where it would bother me when I breathed and my teeth were starting to hurt from how dry my mouth was. I even bought dry mouth candies to suck on and it didn't do the trick. I was so fed up I took off the patch. Will be calling my doctor soon to see if there is something else I can get because I just felt terrible. My body was also feeling weak. Maybe i'll try to tough it out another day but first I would like my saliva back. My vertigo wasn't as bad but I would still get it.”

Learn more about Motion Sickness