User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, Travel Sickness, Travel-Ease, Verticalm …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Meclizine.

Meclizine Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Vertigo.

Reviews for Meclizine to treat Vertigo

"I have acute attacks of vertigo and always keep this medication on hand. I have found that it works better if you take it before the episode occurs. For example, I always have an attack when I go swimming but if I take it before I go to the beach I am fine, if I wait until the attack occurs it doesn't work as well. That being said, the drug will sometimes cause heart palpitations, gives me a headache, and causes a strange mental fog that makes it hard to concentrate or carry on a conversation with anyone, it also makes me irritable."

Natalie G January 27, 2018

"I used to have occasional bouts of severe vertigo. Started taking 12.5 mg of meclizine each night at bedtime and have had NO episodes in years. Vertigo is the sickest I have ever been. Disorientation, nausea, vomiting, crossed eyes, the whole gamut. I can't function without meclizine. It gets a 10 from me."

glasspro (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 8, 2018

"My first episode of vertigo occurred 30 years ago. I still have "attacks" but less frequently. Eventually I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. I ALWAYS keep meclizine on hand at home and a few tabs in my purse. I woke up this morning feeling like I was listing to the left side, wobbly-headed. I took 25 mg meclizine, and 1 CoQ10 capsule (100 mg) which is used to treat vestibular migraines and seems to help with my vertigo. Will repeat the 25 mg meclizine every 6-8 hrs. If its really bad I add benadryl to the mix. Anxiety/stress, allergies, high barometric pressure, loud noise, too much caffeine/chocolate --- all negatively contribute to this horrible condition"

Toocutetobeold December 30, 2017

"I've never had vertigo until several days ago. My husband forced me to see a dr. after I had fallen a few times and got car sick out of the blue. The Dr told me that's what I had, no big deal, it will work itself out. Prescribed zofran for the nausea and meclizine for the dizziness and lack of balance. He warned me to not take it until I got home because it may cause drowsiness. I took it early enough, thought I would have slept off the drowsy feeling but come to find out the side effects made me feel worse. I went to work anyway (I didn't drive) hoping it would wear off. I felt like I was high and drowsy, floating on a cloud, couldn't concentrate or focus on my job, was spacing out and day dreaming about nothing."

DazedNconfuZed November 10, 2017

"Had a bad neck adjustment and was taken to hospital to make sure it wasn't from a stroke that I got very dizzy. They said it was not and gave me this for the vertigo. I took half (12.5mg) the next morning when intense spinning started and it seemed to help and then 4 hours later spinning again :( so I took a whole 25 mg pill and though it did make the spinning stop I've been out of it ever since. I feel tired, off balance just "off" and strange in general and haven't gotten out of bed all weekend. I'm going to try a more natural remedy and exercises next."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2017

"Woke up to a severe bout of VERTIGO. Had Meclizine on hand from post surgical dizziness. Took one 25mg Meclizine, my regular vit. supplements, anxiety meds of one 1mg Klonopin. Took about an hour but symptoms of vertigo are gone. Will see how it goes as the meds wear off and report back on results. I am sorry for any of you that are going through this malady."

WandaDe (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

"I took one tablet before bed and when I woke up he next morning my eyes were red, my mouth and throatwere numb and I couldn't swallow anything. Now a few hours later my chest is hurting, all of which are labeled as serious side effects of this medication. I will be take Benadryl or something similar to help the fluid in my ears drain. Do not recommend this medication at all"

Kiki045733521132363 July 15, 2017

"I had vertigo before my surgery it has came back with a vengeance after my surgery doc prescribed me the meclizine and boy it work wonders."

Feeling much better July 6, 2017

"I have had dizzy spells (vertigo) since 2006. I get them about every other month for a day and it is literally debilitating. I would rather have almost any pain than being dizzy. Yesterday around 5pm after work I started feeling weird ... I didn't take until it was bad around 6:30pm. Don't wait if you can help it. Trick is take it before gets worse. It worked around by about 7:30-8.00 pm I slept the entire night in a sitting up position. This morning I was ok. No effects just tired last night. The Dr told me to also move my head 3 times in a counter clockwise position each hour. You feel a little sick but better after."

Miss Dizzy May 20, 2017

"I was having severe dizzy spells which I thought were due to another medication or condition. My PCP did a thorough exam for motion sickness and it sure did make me dizzy and queasy. He prescribed Meclizine and the problems subsided after about 48 hours. I'll be flying to the west coast tomorrow so will see if I feel lightheaded on the flight."

qmradio (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

"I have had 2 cases of vertigo and both times ended up in the ER. I was given Meclizine and it takes about an hour to work, meanwhile, I am unable to stand up and vomiting at the same time. I had one case of vertigo at work at 2 am and had to be dropped off at ER. Meclizine does work, but it's too slow to take effect. I can't lose many more nights at work or I'll be fired. I need something that works faster."

irishcelticeyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2017

"Have acute vertigo and meclizine does help MOST of the time after about 2 hrs."

englewood girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 20, 2017

"I have been reading these reviews using Meclizine for dizziness. I have been on it for about a year {25mg} but don't seem any results. The one thing that I is missing is my problem . I have no problem walking, looking up or down or any of that. My problem is I can only lay on my left side, my back for a short time. but the right side is out, I become so dizzy I feel sick to my stomach even attempting to make me sick. As I said in the beginning the meclizine doesn't make a difference."

lefty only (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

"I feel very tired sleepy and my heart seems to be skipping a beat"

Swokin February 20, 2017

"I was prescribed this back in October due to several days of dizziness. Doesn't help at all. After about 6 hours, the dizziness goes away but comes back the next day."

kkmaehrer (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Antivert (meclizine): "This does nothing to me from what I can see. I take 25mg once daily for vertigo"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2017

"I have suffered from several types of vertigo. I was advised by my doctor to use exercises by lying down and turning my head in different positions for a period of weeks. I tried this and they made me sicker immediately and didn't improve long term. I have been using meclizine for forty some years it is the only thing that allow me to function when the vertigo is on a rampage."

Lawjwcc November 24, 2016

"I started taking this at the suggestion I read that 90 % of phobias start w the inner ear (google it) and I had been having ear issues. I was diagnosed with mineres diseases but also have agorophobia and anxiety too which often accompany ear issues. This doesn't cure anything but after being dizzy 24/7 for 2 straight weeks I went back on it. I went off it because it gave me headaches. But I am very anti med but taking this really helps me to about 70percent less dizzy"

Dizzy From Tennessee (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2016

Bonine (meclizine): "This is great stuff. I've had vertigo for 48 years and this works better than the prescription medicine."

Bonobo November 9, 2016

"One day out of the blue I started having vertigo and balance problems. I was prescribed meclizine for immediate symptoms and a diuretic. The meclizine works if at the very first, and I do mean the very symptoms of vertiginous episode I take a 25 mg tablet. It seems to short circuit the episode but doesn't entirely get rid of it. It short circuits enough I can go about daily activities. I was glad to learn doctors don't really know what causes it, exactly how to treat it, and how long it will last. I hope at some point it will go away but I'm not that hopeful it will in the immediate future.We are planning some travel in the very near future. I will probably start meclizine 3 times a day to help ensure I can enjoy the trips."

biker1944 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2016

"Over the last week and a half, I've been light headed, pressure on my forehead. At work I would notice my symptoms more and feel like I'd have to hold on to the counters. Went into the doc, she knew what it was right away with the eye test. She prescribed meclizine 25mg. I took 2 yesterday, haven't even taken one yet today, because I fell asleep on my couch 4 times. I think I'll try just taking a half a tablet at night and see how that goes with the fatigue."

jkehoe (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"I was diagnosed today with vertigo, I woke up yesterday morning which was 8/11/2016 i was so dizzy, the rest of the day if I looked down or leaned my head back in would get dizzy, today was worst so I went to the ER was given meclizine I only took 2 so far seems like it works for a few hours a but I want to take one now before bed any suggestions??"

Darylwade913 August 14, 2016

"blurred vision and extreme tiredness. slept entire day and night, fuzzy the second day. Only took one dose. will not take again"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

"I am writing in case anyone else has similar experience. In 2011, I had vestibular neuritis. My case was severe, w/nystagmus lasting 6 days, I was hospitalized. I recovered from the acute phase w/the help of positive posts from people afflicted & recovered. Eventually, I began having episodes similar & have found out I have 8th cranial nerve damage, residual. Long story short, simple things make me dizzy, car rides, teaching my grandson how to drive, bumpy school bus rides, even upside down emoji smiley faces....yep. This medication has been a life saver & I always have it in my purse. I forget about my condition sometimes & something will make it "act up" & I am s relieved when I remember I have it. I strongly recommend it!"

Cookie456 August 5, 2016

Dramamine Less Drowsy (meclizine): "Regular Dramamine makes me extremely groggy. Tried this for the first time today and it works like a gem! I get dizzy and nauseous between 2-4pm every day, Dramamine has been a real savior."

GreeneJ July 19, 2016