User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, ...show all 18 brand names

Learn more about Meclizine.

Meclizine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Vertigo.

Reviews for Meclizine to treat Vertigo

"Over the last week and a half, I've been light headed, pressure on my forehead. At work I would notice my symptoms more and feel like I'd have to hold on to the counters. Went into the doc, she knew what it was right away with the eye test. She prescribed meclizine 25mg. I took 2 yesterday, haven't even taken one yet today, because I fell asleep on my couch 4 times. I think I'll try just taking a half a tablet at night and see how that goes with the fatigue."

jkehoe (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2016

"I was diagnosed today with vertigo, I woke up yesterday morning which was 8/11/2016 i was so dizzy, the rest of the day if I looked down or leaned my head back in would get dizzy, today was worst so I went to the ER was given meclizine I only took 2 so far seems like it works for a few hours a but I want to take one now before bed any suggestions??"

Darylwade913 August 14, 2016

"blurred vision and extreme tiredness. slept entire day and night, fuzzy the second day. Only took one dose. will not take again"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2016

"I am writing in case anyone else has similar experience. In 2011, I had vestibular neuritis. My case was severe, w/nystagmus lasting 6 days, I was hospitalized. I recovered from the acute phase w/the help of positive posts from people afflicted & recovered. Eventually, I began having episodes similar & have found out I have 8th cranial nerve damage, residual. Long story short, simple things make me dizzy, car rides, teaching my grandson how to drive, bumpy school bus rides, even upside down emoji smiley faces....yep. This medication has been a life saver & I always have it in my purse. I forget about my condition sometimes & something will make it "act up" & I am s relieved when I remember I have it. I strongly recommend it!"

Cookie456 August 5, 2016

Dramamine Less Drowsy (meclizine): "Regular Dramamine makes me extremely groggy. Tried this for the first time today and it works like a gem! I get dizzy and nauseous between 2-4pm every day, Dramamine has been a real savior."

GreeneJ July 19, 2016

"tremendous help with dizziness associated with vertigo"

mrbw1 May 13, 2016

"I asked my doctor for a medicine to stop this horrible roller coaster. In the last 2 and a half months I have been on an emotional roller coaster. Hospitalized in Jan. for a nervous break down to put it mildly too much to write and too depressing to reiterate . I had jumped to different depression medications and it resulted in severe vertigo. Nonstop, it was debilitating and not many knew what I was experiencing. I am shocked how this medication has dwindled that roller coaster drop with nausea. Still off, but much improvement as I thought I would go mad with the non stop sensation. I look forward to the day with feeling somewhat "normal" as this has been the most awful journey. Doubters, give this medicine a try."

shakeitoff (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

"I have to say, after using this medication, I felt so much better. It helped restore me back to some order after experiencing, pressure on the head, ears, nauseous and dizziness! I was feeling so out of balance and this pill did restore my normal balance."

Adriana675 March 23, 2016

Bonine (meclizine): "I have suffered 4 bouts of benign positional vertigo in the last ten years. It comes on without warning. I always carry Meclizine with me.I get it over the counter. It helps, but it still takes me anywhere from a week to a month to get over the vertigo. At the beginning of the vertigo I take a 25 mg.tablet every 24 hours, but it makes me very sleepy and tired and "hung over"....but I'm able to get out of bed and do things. As the vertigo subsides, I take 1/2 of a tablet once a day and that seems to have fewer side effects. The only thing I've found that really cures the vertigo over a couple of weeks are the exercises I do 3x a day. Got them from a physical therapist. Along with the Meclizine, I seem to eventually get better."

Birdie A March 13, 2016

"Dizzy in KC you should see your doc ASAP. I am your same age and had a similar experience. I was diagnosed with Miniere's Disease by an ENT. It's been a couple of weeks and I'm finally starting to feel a little better, thanks to the Meclizine and diuretic."

Dizzy in Euless January 20, 2016

"This is my second day taking antivert 12.5 mg,for my vertigo. I can't tell if is working well for me ...?? I still feel so dizzy and I feel like I'm walking on clouds. I am willing to give a try a little bit longer and see how do I feel later. Side effects so far so good maybe little bit just drowsiness,. The past 5 years I have chronic sinuses which aggravates my middle ear the fluid just don't drained well and stays in my middle ear.This is horrible, my balance is off because of that condition and I am constantly taking antibiotics. That's why I'm willing to try this medication and see if it's working for me."

Anonymous January 14, 2016

"I have been taking this as needed for a year now. I was experiencing bad vertigo and ended up having a brain tumor. 2 surgeries and 3 hospitalizations later I still experience some vertigo and vision issues. I take 25 mg as needed and it helps tremendously! It does make you drowsy, but after using it for awhile that side effect does subside. I have had no other side effects from it, I find it very calming and it also helps with mild nausea which typically accompanies the vertigo."

cristina_weena January 6, 2016

"I am 47 going to be 48 this month. I've always been healthy with no issues. This past month/year I was at work and felt dizzy, sat down and threw up and then passed out, they called EMT's for me. Rushed to the ER and was told possible extreme vertigo. I went to my PCP and she concurred and put me on 12.5 Meclizine 3 x a day. Its been 2 days and I feel like I'm drunk. I am having a bad earache and can't focus well. I drove to work fine, once I sat still for 30-45 min the feeling of dizziness came back. I can't walk more than a few feet without looking and feeling drunk. I've been on Meclizine for 4-5 days now. I can not live feeling drunk all day.....is there any other meds that don't do this? Thank you for your advise."

Dizzyin KC January 4, 2016

Antivert (meclizine): "I use meclizine/antivert every day of my life.. Every 6 hours, I can take up to 50mg. Unfortunately, I have a horrible diagnosis of vertigo, followed with BPPV. I rely on this medicine so much, I feel as if it's becoming ineffective.. :( Had real bad attacks in November. I got admitted to the hospital, and it took multiple doses, & 14 hours for the room to just stop spinning completely.. I have bad issues with my vertigo still. Can't sleep without the room spinning, it's hard to drive sometimes, and it's hard to function without feeling like I'm about to get dizzy all over again. Ugh. Just hope it stops completely soon. Been dealing with this daily since April 2012.."

xoxodnk (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2016

"I have been on meclizine for about a year now. One day at work I turned my head really fast and got so dizzy I felt like I was going to pass out. My doctor put me on the medicine 25mg every 6 hours as need. Also went to therapy for the vertigo but was told I didn't have vertigo and got sent home with a Popsicle stick and eye excercise to do (which don't work). My doctor is saying I'm dizzy because of my job and how my head and neck is always down. The meclizine works good but only last for a 3 hours before it wears off. Hoping my doctor will up the mg, or let me take more in a day. Oh and for the tiredness side effect, it's does go away once your body gets used to it."

Kimber2191 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2015

"One day 3 years ago I woke up and was dizzy out of the blue. That continued everyday for a year and a half. Finally my doctor put me on meclizine and it took a few days but it works really well. I've been on it now for over a year and take half a pill every night before bed. A whole pill puts me out of commission. Lately I have been noticing side affects though. Weight gain, blurry vision, more frequent urination and increased mucus. Due to these side affects I would like to get off this medication but not sure what I can take that will help me but have less side affects"

Mackattack01 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2015

"I've had vertigo for years. I take meclizine but have had vertigo since this morning and the meclizine is not working. I am only taking 12.5 mg. I used to take 25 but couldn't stay awake so my doctor cut the dosage down to half. Miserable. Can't lay down so have to sit up in living chair tonight."

tobys mom October 25, 2015

"I have experienced vertigo off and on for two years. Twice the vertigo was so bad I could not stand or sit on my own and I had dry heaves. Meclizine worked very well for me and I experienced minimal side effects. It does not make me so drowsy that I can't work, so that's a plus."

VertiGoAway August 30, 2015

"i have had dizzy spells everyday for the past few years. my mom thought it was my eyes getting worse so i got new proscription and that did not help. i went to the doctor and they put me on this medicine. it worked for two days and then my dizziness just worse."

vickiex3http://www.drugs.com/m (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

Antivert (meclizine): "I took this medication for Vertigo,, it made me so sick,, so I stopped taking it... It didn't do anything for me.."

Nameless one August 6, 2015

"I have had relief from SSRI (zoloft) withdrawal using otc meclizine. Specifically with that fuzzy head and vertigo like eye motion symptoms."

my 2 cents July 30, 2015

"I have been STRUGGLING immensely from dizziness, feeling off balance, light headed, & vertigo for over a MONTH now!! So bad it landed me in the ER and I've been off work. I read about Meclizine and asked my Doctor to prescribe me some. I was hesitant to take it at first since the drowsiness side effect. I held off for a few days. Finally took some yesterday (25 mg, took 2/day). Woke up today and for the first time I can stand up without feeling like I'm going to fall!! I am still not 100% but this definitely did help with the dizziness and spinning!!"

Delilah R. (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

"I have had several extreme bouts of vertigo over the past couple of years follwed predictably by nausea and vomiting. after about 3 hours I can get up but for the next 24-36 hours I just want to rest sleep as it takes all the starch out of me. this last time, I have been given a diagnosis of Meniere's Disease. the last vertigo attack happened in a public place and resulted in a trip to the ER room. they gave me Meclizine and I think it was helpful in the aftermath as I felt like my balance was off for a couple of days. if I feel another attack coming (they are hard to foretell) I may try the 3x daily 25mg to head it off. I asked my doctor if I should stay on it but he said no...not sure why?"

the wizard July 9, 2015

"I went to the ER for extreme Vertigo a little over a week ago.... This was drop me to my knees, room spinning, vomiting Vertigo...... The ER first gave me Valium, but the results weren't that great, so they then gave me meclizine and wrote me RX for some to have at home.... It didn't work that great the first day, because my symptoms were so extreme but over time, everything is starting to go back to normal. It's just going very sloooowly. My balance is back and I'm not dizzy anymore, but I still feel foggy. I'm weening myself off and only taking 1/2 a pill at night...... When taking the 3 pills a day, it was very tired and loopy and I couldn't remember anything. Also, driving is out of the question! I felt like I was drunk."

SarahCuda (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

"I've been a dizzy person all my life and I just always managed it. Then in the last few weeks, it has been worse than I've ever experienced before: dizzy spells, sensation of spinning. Nothing extreme but enough to keep me in the house a few days. Took a 25 mg pill. No quick relief, but within an hour, there was a noticeable difference. Basically the screws tightened up and I wasn't as dizzy. Then, after 90 minutes, the vertigo was mostly gone. After 2 hours, it was totally gone. I'm still a bit flabbergasted. Did I just suffer all those years for nothing? Cheap drug too. Easily accessible, even over the counter. Only complaint: A little slow to work."

K11199 July 4, 2015