User Reviews for Meclizine to treat Vertigo

Also known as: Antivert, Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Motion-Time, Dramamine All Day Less Drowsy, Travel Sickness, Antrizine, Dramamine II, D-Vert, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous Travel-Ease Sea-Calm

Meclizine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 13 medications used in the treatment of Vertigo.

Reviews for Meclizine

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2020

“So my neurologist started me in this medication because I have been complaining of dizziness and feeling light headed . We are in the process of figuring out exactly why. I started my first dose last night and felt very strange falling asleep , as though my tongue was thicker/heavier than normal but was breathing fine and kinda passed out . Anyway I get up today fine with no dizziness but I was so cold I was shivering . I have lower than average blood pressure and I also take a muscle relaxer at night for spasms so I attributed it. The new med added to my low blood pressure further . Got up and had breakfast , and then immediately felt weird and extremely tired like I need to lie down . So that’s where I am now . The whole point of this was to make me not feel like I had to lie down from dizziness and being lightheaded ! Lol. I feel light headed now though and just very fatigued , so I can't say I’m impressed with this as a solution . Back to the drawing board.”

Nurse March 11, 2020

“Yes, Antivert definitely helps my dizziness/vertigo”

Jeromebill7718 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 22, 2020

“If you start this drug cut it I half or even 1/4's. Take a 1/4 every 2-3 hours until you are a bit sleepy or it works. Do not take more than three doses a day unless your doctor tells you to. Read the label. Most of all, if you have Meniers disease just get the damn surgery and save this and other allergy meds for insomnia.”

lmjsierra · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

“Had some inner ear inflammation due to a cold and had a day where the room was literally spinning all day. Went to urgent care and was prescribed this. It did stop the dizziness but I feel like I am in a different paradox and I am super super sleepy! Took Wednesday and Thursday. Today is Friday I am going to discontinue use of this drug.”

Nicole · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I was prescribed this for vertigo. It might take the edge off of my dizziness, but not enough to significant. I have also noticed that every time I take it, I am up all night with internal tremors. Scary!”

Meee · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

“I couldn’t even stand/walk without feeling dizzy. Took this and about an hour later I didn’t feel dizzy anymore! Yay! But it DID make me feel drunk. Felt drunk with the vertigo, but felt MORE drunk with the pills! But it made the dizziness go away, so I’m happy”

FuzzyPenguin · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

Bonine (meclizine): “I took one chewable tablet and have been drowsy and out of it for two days now. I've had severe nausea that comes in waves, dry mouth, a headache, and blurred vision this whole time. My heart rate is also very high. Overall I feel like I'm in a daze, can't think straight, and just not very well overall. I will never take this medication again and I hope it wears off soon.”

drowsy · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

“First let me say that from the moment I was prescribed meclizine for vertigo, I didn’t feel it was necessary. I had a few short dizzy spells and brought it up to my doctor. He put me on 25mg of meclizine, three times a day. Although weary, I took it as prescribed for 4 days before I had to stop. I felt such a heavy mental fog, I must have fallen asleep about 3-5 times each day that I took it, and I was completely spaced out. I felt absolutely EXHAUSTED from the minute I woke up. On the last day I took it, I had fallen asleep at 8 pm the night before, woke up at 730 am, went back to bed at 10 am, and didn’t get up until I had to at 530 pm because I had to go to work. I felt numb and “shut off”. The side effects were far worse than the brief dizzy spells I experienced.”

Raz November 13, 2019

“I'm a little worried the drug seems to help me perfectly with my vertigo. But it makes me ridiculously sensation of being drunk - I don't mean I'm drinking and mixing with alcohol. I have a very severe reaction the original Dramamine which did this to me which is ironic because that's why it's not prescribed to most people. But this stuff makes me drunk and I haven't seen any similar experiences.”

Dizzy Lizzy · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“Meclizine cured the vertigo immediately with no side effects. My refill is different this time it is called Meclizine HCL, may a different brand of generic This one leaves me light headed. Is there something different in the Meclizine HCL to my other one just labelled Meclizine - without the HCL? ”

So · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2019

Bonine (meclizine): “Suddenly gotten vertigo after my ear got fluid in it from a sinus infection that wasn’t fully cleared from other antibiotics. I ended up feeling so bad for 3 days and bed ridden until I got this yesterday and actually been able to function. I been able to take a shower and make food and wake up without the room spinning! I have to take 3 times a day as directed by my doctor. Only down fall it makes you super drowsy! The drowsiness caused me to slept throughout the night since I have gotten vertigo, which was good since I haven’t slept in days. Get this if you suffering from vertigo it saved me.”

Sis · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2019

Dramamine II (meclizine): “Took 2 and it relived the vertigo.”

Ris August 23, 2019

“I recently got a bad case of vertigo due to neglected calcification in my inner left ear. I've always had ear problems since I was a young child (getting swimmers ear, trauma to my ear drum from pebbles being forced in there, etc.). So I got this prescription because of that. The first two days, I had a horrible time. I got severe RLS (restless leg syndrome) and could not sleep at all. I found out this was due to the anti-histamine factors of the Meclizine. I absolutely DO NOT recommend taking Meclizine after 3pm if you are sensitive to anti-histamines and are prone to RLS like I am. I started taking my 3 doses of 25mg only in the morning/early afternoon time and it has worked perfectly. I'm kind of a small person so any dose later in the day will keep me up all night. That being said, works like a charm now. I highly recommend this medication because it really does wonders for my vertigo, and also helps with the nausea that comes with it!”

Rich · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

“Meclizine works greatnfor vertigo I can really tell when I don’t use it. Cheaper when you get a script and let insurance pay for it. Huge fan. Life changing!!! NO side effects.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

“Worked after one pill. So relieved!”

Deb · Taken for 10 years or more April 29, 2019

“It works as a diuretic, I urinate excessively , approximately half gallon over 12 hours when my dose is at least 25 to 50 mg. This comes in handy when I retained water and get off balance. It took me years to realize it was the meclizine that cause my excessive urination”

Mohamed April 15, 2019

“Meclizine is a super medicine for vertigo no side effects”

Old biddy January 2, 2019

Antivert (meclizine): “Was prescribed for severe vertigo following a TBI that left me with vision issues. Only thing that makes it possible for me to function. No problems with drowsiness. Been taking daily for 2+years. Tried to use OTC but ended up falling multiple times. My vertigo is constant and ranges from where I feel like I'm spinning or like the whole world is on a roller coaster.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 17, 2018

Antivert (meclizine): “I had vertigo that presented atypically with swaying rather than spinning. I took antivert for over a month, up to 3x per day, under doctor supervision before weaning off of it. It worked really well. No side effects, not drowsy the way that Dramamine is. I will take again if I have vertigo again.”

Aaron · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

Antivert (meclizine): “Within this past week I came down with laryngitis, a sinus and respiratory infection and ears filled with fluid. My PCP gave me 250mg Ceftin twice daily. That helped clear my chest and sinus infection within 3 days but I still had this lingering vertigo where I just did not feel right. Went to urgent care, the doc said ears were filled to the brim with fluid so he gave me prednisone for my ears and antivert for the vertigo. I took one 25mg tab and I can say it is quite noticeable how normal I feel again. I'm a bigger man so the drowsiness hasn't hit me as hard but I would fully recommend this to anyone with vertigo!”

A.K June 30, 2018

Bonine (meclizine): “I've never taken bonine but I know it's the generic of dramamine which is the generic for meclizine that I do take. I had my first attack of vertigo when I was 27 now I'm thirty and it has come again all of a sudden. The first time I took meclizine it worked like a charm but now that I'm starting on it again I haven't felt anything but drowsy. I hope it works like it did 3 years ago but this time I'm going to stay on it much longer than I did the last time.”

Blondi · Taken for 10 years or more June 13, 2018

“I have taken this drug for 15 years 2 pills in am and 2 in pm. Before the drug I could not walk or ride in a car without becoming woozie. I am 72 yrs old and this drug for me has been a life saver. I am able to play with my grand kids and ride in a car for a longer period of time. I can not speak for anyone else, but for me I'm glad it's available.”

Moe May 21, 2018

“I took meclizine three nights in a row (only at night) after being diagnosed with BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). I thought the problem was getting worse, and then I realized it was just this medication. All I did was sleep all day, I felt drunk, and I had "medicine head." I had strange dreams that were extremely vivid, even during my daytime sleep. I only would take it at 9:00 pm, and the effects lasted until about 4:00 the following days. Well, the side effects did. The anti-dizziness did not - that stopped in about 9 hours. I am somewhat smaller and female. I am not sure if maybe the dose should be weight-dependent (from what people have said). I did not feel significantly less dizzy either. The most helpful thing that I have been doing are the Brandt Daroff exercises and vestibular rehabilitation exercises to get my eyes to work properly again. I've been dizzy for about 6 weeks, and within three days of doing these exercises, I feel much better.”

Yoli April 12, 2018

“Three weeks ago I went to the Hospital with light headed, dizziness, my heart was beating fast the left side of my body was numb, I was not able to get out of bed due to no control of my legs and my vision was blurry and out of focus. I had a cat scan, an MRI, blood work and EKG and I was there for a week. Final outcome was that in my MRI they saw something on my left side of my face but that my right side was cleared, I had no blockage or any kind of clots the Dr. told my husband and I that he thinks that I had a mild stroke and the outcome of it is Vertigo... He prescribed me Meclizine 25MG 3x a day my symptoms are still there face still gets numb, blurry vision, my hands shake a lot, I get dizziness and some mornings I have not been able to get out of bed due to not being able to control my motions. What I can say is taking this medicine helps me out, I am not going to tell you that it fixes it but it eases and makes it easier for me to cope with Vertigo and my daily routine.”

No Use March 30, 2018

“My ears have been hurting and become stuffy off and on lately and I am also dizzy from it. I tried some meclazine (one dose of 25mg) and it hasn't done anything since I took it last night. I used to take it for morning sickness and it sort of worked then, so I assumed it would work for actual dizziness. I was wrong.”

Learn more about Vertigo

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)