User Reviews for Lisinopril to treat Diabetic Kidney Disease

Also known as: Zestril, Prinivil, Qbrelis

Lisinopril has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Diabetic Kidney Disease. 25% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Lisinopril Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Diabetic Kidney Disease.

Reviews for Lisinopril

Pmbattles · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2021

“My primary care doctor put me on this Lisinopril the year of 2018 and I started immediately experiencing throbbing in my lower back where both sides of my kidneys, also my head hurts everyday extreme coughing, stomach disturbance so I had told my doctor at an follow up told him he immediately states it was the Lisinopril quoted to me these words "that's that Lisinopril so I have got to take you off that. So he did but that medicine caused severe damage to my kidneys and body my digestive system and kidneys hasn't been the same since. Now I've been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and was told recently that I have 58 percent of my kidneys left when seen by a kidney doctor”

Anonymous April 9, 2009

“I have been taking it for 3 weeks and I have headaches, a constant cough, nausea, itching (mild) and weakness. I went off of it for two days and I felt better. I am going to ask my doctor to prescribe an alternative as the cough and nausea are getting worse and I have a severe headache everyday at the same time. My blood pressure has not changed.”

Paty · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 17, 2019

“Was on 2.5 of lisinopril and it was ok at the start, then I started getting dry cough. I thought it was a cold but it continued. This was 9 years of coughing . The med DOES give dry hacking cough. Asked Dr to take me off. It's been 3 and half months cough subsides. Have to watch my intake for kidneys but hope in Dec they 're stable”

KFTL February 27, 2016

“Started this drug in January, 2016. My Primary Care prescribed this drug, because he said it was new on the market, and would help diabetes kidney issues. My blood pressure is normal from taking Cardizem. Started with coughing issues in January. Dr prescribed 10 days of Prednisone with Mucinex DM and Probiotics. Still kept coughing. Sometimes the cough was proactive/dry. Called my Doctor on Feb 22, 2016 because my left ear stopped up for a couple of hours and still have the coughing issues. Prescribed another bout of Prednisone. Went to see Primary Care on Fri 26th Feb, 2016 with coughing issues and wheezing which isn't good for my COPD. Did the nebulizer. Didn't work, so now I am in the Hospital with lung issues.”

Al R. November 12, 2016

“I am male, 68, diabetic, 5'11 and 214 pounds. I have no blood pressure issues (I ride a bike about 60 miles per week). About three years ago my ankles started to swell showing a sock line in the morning. My new doctor thought it might be related to my kidney which lab tests showed was in the low end of normal.. My doctor prescribed 5mg of Lisinopril. Within two weeks the swelling disappeared. I do seem to have a little bit of a dry cough. I don't know if the cough is associated with the Lisinopril.”

Timthetoolman · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 29, 2017

“I only take 2.5mgs once a day to hopefully prevent any kidney issues from diabetes. So I'm not positive if the drug is the problem but I recently found myself without the medication for about a month then saw my primary who gave me a new script. It seems to lower BP but fortunately mine was not really too far above normal but once I started up taking this medication I also started back up with feeling so sick like I'm dying from something!! Every muscle and joint in my body is throbbing and hurting almost beyond what I can stand!! Its the absolute worst feeling and wouldn't wish it on anyone!!! Unfortunately I haven't seen any other real complaints of people feeling this way so I can say 100% its the Lisinopril or I would stop it immediately!!!”

Jerrs · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2017

“My GP Doctor changed my blood pressure medicine from 5mg Amlodipine Besylate/50mg Metoprolol to 5mg Lisinopril/50mg Metoprolol to protect my kidneys. Over a forty day period my Lisinopril dosage was increased in stages from 5mg to 40mg in an attempt to get the same BP results I had with Amlodipine. Prior to taking Lisinopril my blood pressure was around 135/75. As the amount of Lisinopril was increased my blood pressure kept increasing. After 40 days it was around 175/85 (maximum 200/100). I take my blood pressure 3 -4 times per day. I experienced increased confusion, tiredness, dizziness, weakness and constipation as the dosage of Lisinopril was increased. I went back on Amlodipine and made an appointment with my Cardiologist.”

Anonymous May 15, 2016

“I have taken Lisinopril for years, 10 mg. Just recently my kidney doctor raised me to 20 mg. This did not work because it gave me diarrhea. So now they have changed me to losartan 50 mg. I am still having diarrhea. So now the doctor needs to figure out what to give me that will help my blood pressure but NOT give me diarrhea.”

Sandy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 26, 2021

“Had a cough for over 6 months while taking lisinopril. My doctor prescribed to protect kidneys because I am type 2 diabetic. I coughed so much I thought I had Covid. I didn’t, so I stopped taking it & my cough stopped.”

Anonymous August 3, 2011

“Lisinopril(taken at 5mg and 10mg) put my chronic kidney disease in remission, but it gives me hypotension and syncope.”

Anonymous January 30, 2011

“I have been taking this medication for 6 months, so far it is working ok with no side effects.”

tianw2009 July 2, 2011

“Really works and cheap. ”

Learn more about Diabetic Kidney Disease