User Reviews for Imipramine

Also known as: Tofranil

Imipramine has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 62 ratings on Drugs.com. 56% of those users who reviewed Imipramine reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Enuresis   10.0
Primary Nocturnal Enuresis   3.0
Summary of Imipramine reviews 6.9 62 reviews

Reviews for Imipramine

Bleo · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

For Enuresis: “I started imipramine a few months ago for both depression and enuresis(two birds with one stone!) and have noticed positive changes in both areas. It completely eliminated the enuresis, and my mental health is better than it has been in years. I have not noticed any negative side effects!”

Bleo · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

For Depression: “I started imipramine a few months ago for both depression and enuresis(two birds with one stone!) and have noticed positive changes in both areas. It completely eliminated the enuresis, and my mental health is better than it has been in years. I have not noticed any negative side effects!”

Livy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 9, 2021

For Pain: “I started at imipramine 25mg, 6 years ago. I’m now up to 150mg and it was worked great until the last month.”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I started taking the 10MG of imipramine in September 2020 for my IBSD. I was told to take it at night because it makes you drowsy. I had the total opposite reaction. It kept me up at night and did not make me drowsy at all. I ended up switching to take it in the morning instead. By November I noticed that the low dosage was not helping much with my IBSD. My doctor upped my dose to 25MG and I started having HORRIBLE night sweats. I was waking up EVERY HOUR at night drenched in sweats. Other than that, this medication really worked for my stomach when the dose was at 25MG. I wish I did not have this horrible side effect!”

Shroomer · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 10, 2020

For Depression: “Imipramine- started it way back in 1982 for clinical depression and took it for 5-6 years. It GAVE me sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations, waking and lucid dreams too. I remember telling my psyche about the Seep paralysis (SP) , he didn't know why it was happening. Of course back then, nobody knew what to call it and I couldn't find out anything on my own until early 2000's on the internet. Go figure. Occasionally I'll still have an episode of SP, under stress. Medicine was great for my depression and ADHD, mucked up my dream life tho. Not worth the risk if I had to do it all over again. I did enjoy the waking dreams tho and the OBE's”

BK · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “This drug imipramine has changed my life. I have tried a dozen different SSRIs, and nothing has helped my panic disorder and depression as much as Imipramine. No noticeable side effects for me, either.”

Rick September 14, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “After 30 years of IBS and having taken many prescribed medications including nortriptylene, dicetal, pristique, all of which are supposed to be helpful with IBS, nothing worked for me. I also took herbal supplements and Metamucil and tried different diets, including the FODMAP diet. I tried high fibre, low fibre, no fibre and everything in between. I tried eliminating dairy and wheat from my diet. Nothing worked very well at all. I also tried Align and other probiotics etc. Finally I have found something that works for me after 30 years. And it is the prescription antidepressant medication called Imipramine. At a very low dosage of 25 mg at bedtime along with one heaping teaspoon of Metamucil in the afternoon, after 30 years of suffering with severe IBS, my symptoms are gone. Be aware that it took about 10 days before I was symptom free. This post isn’t about me. I am posting this in the hope that it can help someone else who is suffering. Rick H”

CCarroll99 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 9, 2020

For Depression: “I have been battling the combination of anxiety and depression for close to 2 years. The first two medications I took (Paxil and Effexor) were horrible. Basically they made the symptoms worse and Effexor gave me insomnia. I was then given Remeron which worked for 2 months, then stopped working. Kept upping the dose and it just numbed me out and made anxiety worse. Finally they put me on Imipramine because my dad has taken it for 35 years and had no problems. It took a little while to work. About 10 weeks for me and that was a gradual increase in dose to 300 mg. Thats the level my dad takes so I do the same. It worked for me. Anyone who reads this review I hope it works for you as well.”

Augustus · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2020

For ADHD: “imipramine in combination with a small dose of Ritalin (methylphenidate) works very well for me. Remember Imipramine and its metabolites has a strong effect on norepinephrine, working similarly than Atomoxetine which is FDA approved for ADHD.”

Amy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2020

Tofranil (imipramine) for Depression: “Tofranil made me painfully constipated, very nervous, irritable, between doses, I'd get extremely weepy and emotionally distraught... it was the only time in my life that I felt live was too hard. When I started experiencing heart palpitations, I stopped taking it. I have CPTSD and Borderline”

Never again · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

For ADHD: “I had a child die taking this medication”

Bloodylimey123 January 8, 2020

For Depression: “I was on Imipramine for 20 years for severe depression. This medicine turned my life around. I was a new and happy person. Then 5 months ago I couldn't get my Imipramine from Walgreens. I can't find out why I can't get my prescription of Imipramine anymore. My Psychiatrist has tried several other antidepressants which had awful side effects and made things worse. Is their anyone on this site who has had the same issue of not being able to get Imipramine....I am desperate for some help in getting this medicine.Thank you.”

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

For Depression: “I came off lexapro thinking that imipramine would better since it affects 3 neuro transmitters.. dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine. But I had another thing coming. It is the worst. More side effects. The effect is low and slugglish. Always makes you sleepy. It destroyed my appetite. I can't even eat for days. My energy levels depleted significantly. I am just gonna give an extra one week if it doesn't work I'll request for a new medication cos 8 days into this drug I feel like I have lost it all”

italyYYC · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2019

For Panic Disorder: “-First 4 days of imipramine @50mg I would have odd outer body type experiences just before falling asleep, created more panic. -2nd and 3rd week I could feel my panic fighting against the medication, I thought it maybe starting to work. by the second month I was going to the bathroom only once a week, yes the constipation is real. I had a full body cold shiver which took up 90% of my day, restless leg while trying to sleep, problems urinating and my anxiety was back. You would think only on a month and a half I can stop, NO, had to taper off, next, Everyone will react different.”

The Wee Boy · Taken for 10 years or more October 22, 2019

For Pain: “I suffered from severe back pain and nerve damage from 2003 onwards . Chronic pain combined with trying to keep working , traveling the world and family life, led to depression . After visiting my GP he sent me to Psychiatrist who started me on Imipramine. 100mg at night . It certainly improved things for me . Life got better . Combined with Cortisone injections into the spine , I could now tolerate the pain and life improved . I am now much better and quite active and pain is less frequent. I’m on a mission to reduce the dosage and I’m now down to 35mg at night. I blame my high blood pressure and skin irritations on shins on the imipramine, but that’s to be proven yet. One thing, don’t try come off it yourself or play with your dosage yourself. I foolishly did that for a few weeks a few years ago and one day I thought I was having a stroke or vertigo. I was in total bits with electric shock like systems and a fear of going to pass out . Very scary .”

TaiTai September 27, 2019

For Pain: “I was suffering from 'atypical facial pain' for two years which was absolutely excruciating (every other day). I held off taking a medicine such as this because I was concerned about the impact it may have on my (male) fertility. In the end I succumbed because the pain was just too much. 80 mg - 40 in the morning and 40 in the evening - have taken away the pain. I switched between this and amitriptyline for a while because this one does have side effects. I have an endlessly dry mouth so I have to drink a lot of water. Urinating can also be a challenge but the sheer amount of water I drink offsets this problem somewhat. Amitriptyline worked equally well but it was more sedating. Imipramine makes it more difficult to sleep at night but it doesn't send me to sleep during the day. Amitryptiline is worse for weight gain, in my experience, and both are equally bad for libido. Neither has been good for my anxiety. On the whole, I am extremely grateful to imipramine though.”

Zak September 5, 2019

For ADHD: “My doctor gave me imipramine for my OCD. Within 8 days of starting this medicine, I could pick up a book and read it in 45 minutes. Astounding, since I've had terrible difficulty with reading my entire life. Sadly I had to stop taking the medication after two weeks due to a strong anticholinergic effect that was causing pretty severe bladder pain and urinary retention. I feel this tricyclic unlocked an extra 20 IQ points that were previously inaccessible to me. OTHER info, my visualization abilities were truly astounding while on imipramine that first time. When I thought of something, I could ask myself to visualize an 'abstract geometric representation' for instance of whatever I was thinking of. And POOF, a bright neon like abstract shape would appear in front of me. And oddly enough I 'understood' its relationship to the original idea.”

still depressed · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2019

For Depression: “imipramine was ineffective for my depression and made me fat. But when I tried reducing it from 150mg to 125,mg I became even more depressed”

Ajmal vp August 16, 2019

For Depression: “Very bad. Less effective. More side effect. Not good for adults.”

Miracles88 · Taken for 10 years or more June 27, 2019

For Depression: “The last few months my refill for this medication has been on back order from my pharmacy. Why ?”

Was better before May 27, 2019

For Depression: “This drug does something that effects one's entire body. I'm far more worried now that my heart will stop than about the depression it that this med was given for. Nearly 45 hours since last dose and I still can't feel my skin. Horrible horrible drug.”

Floss · Taken for 10 years or more March 26, 2019

For Depression: “When I was 50 years old my depression was very acute and I needed hospital care and the NHS provided imipramine at 200mg a day. I am now 74 years old and have not had an acute episode in all that time.”

Ohio Buckeye February 12, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was placed on Imipramine, 10 mg. Taken at bedtime. 3rd week after starting it, I began having nerve-like pain & burning down both legs into my feet, lower back pain & muscle spasms in back and legs. I couldn't sleep & was irritable. 3 days later I started noticing balance & coordination difficulties. It was so bad I was finding it hard to stand & walk, often falling into walls. I was dizzy & shaky. My cognitive abilities were diminished. Days later, close to the end of week 3 of being on the Imipramine, I began to have nerve-like pain in my arms & hands, my lips & tongue were numb & lips peeling excessively. I was sure it was the imipramine by then, and stopped taking it at week 4. 30 hours after my last dose, I noticed a slight improvement of side effects. 4-5 days later all the side effects were greatly reduced & by 7 days after the last dose of the Imipramine, all symptoms had stopped & I began to feel like my normal. I never noticed that it helped the IBS.”

Snake · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2019

For Depression: “Male 70 years old as of 2019. Started taking imipramine in 1995 for anxiety and depression. Been a lifesaver of a medication. Started at 100mg at bedtime but slowly reduced to my present dose of 50mg at bedtime and have been taking this dose for 17 years. Had tried SSRI's prior to the imipramine and had terrible reactions so doctor gave me the tried and true imipramine. It saved my life.”

Sky · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2018

For Depression: “I was severely depressed for a year and literally never left my bed. At 35 years old I was a Professional woman working full time with 2 children (who l was bringing up with the help of a full time nanny whilst l was at work and unwell - she was an angel) l was terrified the sun would never shine again. Then my GP hospitalised me and l was introduced to Imipramine at 200mg a day in two split doses. Initially it totally knocked me out - no other side effects though, then dose reduced to 150mg a day then 75mg a day. l began to feel “me" again - fit, bothered about my appearance, wanting to socialise, really optimistic about the future and confident that l could cope. I returned home on 75mg a day and after a week took the children 10 and 8 on holiday for 3 weeks abroad!! Felt a little scary but we had great family bonding time and l was back at work within two months and off the Imipramine! For me it saved my life and the children will always have a mother!”