User Reviews for Imipramine

Also known as: Tofranil, Tofranil-PM

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Imipramine.

Night Terrors

ADHD

1 review 39 medications
Summary of Imipramine reviews 7.0 34 reviews

Reviews for Imipramine

For Depression: "I was on imipramine for a little over a year, after trying every other antidepressant known to man. At first I noticed a major change. It was the best I had felt in years. I was back to doing things that I used to do and felt great. It also helped me to sleep at night. The effects of the med started to decrease so we increased the dose until I was eventually on 100mg a day. That's when the side effect started. I went in for a routine doctor visit and my resting heart rate was 130. Of course panic set in and I had a bunch of tests ran on my heart, everything was normal. The only thing different was the increase in imiprimine. It caused me tachycardia. So now I am in the process of weaning off of it. Onto something else."

Sulley1130 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This drug took an awfully long time to work. I hadn't been able to notice its subtle effects until about 2 months into treatment. It does lift your mood up by a tiny fraction, is great for general anxiety and it sparks up your motivation a bit. I had been on this medication alone for no avail, but when I paired it with an SSRI (Zoloft), it made a huge difference. I recommend this combination for treatment of depression."

Miccael October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "25mg, once a day at night. For the first 7-8 weeks of taking this medication there was no positive effect on my mood, around week 3/4 my mood was noticeably worse. During the 7-8 week period I constantly felt disconnected and lacked any sort of motivation or energy to engage in any activity that involved thinking, especially social situations. I would constantly have a dry mouth and dry eyes and in addition I also had trouble urinating in the morning and when standing up I would feel light headed and dizzy for a few seconds, this was worse if I had been lying down. However, now my mood is much more stable and the side effects are gone but if I miss more than 2-3 doses then I feel incredibly low for about a week but then pick up again."

anotherpersonwithproblems (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "This medication saved my life! I've only been taking it for almost 2 weeks but I was thrilled at the fast response I had to it! I've literally tried almost every other antidepressant without much success for over 20 years - for my debilitating panic disorder/GAD/depression. Thank you to the Dr who started me on this recently while I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt. I can now leave my home without any fear or anxiety; my panic attacks/panic are literally gone! I feel like a new person! The only side effects I've had so far are dry mouth/dry eyes and a bit of tachycardia. It also helps me sleep for once; I take it at bedtime. I was titrated up to the 100mg dose once at bedtime. I cannot emphasize enough how happy I am to have this!"

Chacha753 March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I have had awesome results with this drug, after going through a rough year being taken on & off of medications that almost ruined my life. My Dr has been sending me to check my blood levels & they seem to keep going up. I was taking 200 mg at night & he dropped it to 175mg. It took 3 weeks to start feeling withdrawal & it was awful. He then increased it back to 200 mg & my imipramine levels are higher then they have ever been. I am scared he is going to reduce or try to put me on another drug. Anyone ever had problems with blood levels of imipramine?"

Dmorris3672 March 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Did not work only made me very tired"

Species kkrittv February 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Very bad side effects on day 6 and I have to stop taking. Nausea all the time. Headaches. Dizziness. Nervousness. Tired constantly. On very low dose."

Not a good choice December 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Helps the panic disorder. But I havent slept in 3 days. Is this medication a stimulate? ?????"

Cherylannj (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Taking at a very low dose to help me sleep as I have fibromyalgia related to arthritis. I tried two other drugs before this one and both have me extremely bad nightmares. I have found that I don't get nightmares with this one. Within an hour of taking, I am solid asleep virtually all night. I don't get foggy the next day. I really haven't had any side effects except for a slightly dry mouth, but I am on 10mg."

Primrose2016 September 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "works very slow. it took months for an improvement not weeks and the improvement is very limited, also had semen leakge as side effect after 125mg"

shipster (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was prescribed imipramine for depression. It worked very well for years! BUT... it made me a diabetic with peripheral neuropathy. When I was originally given the medication I was told it would increase my appetite. It did - a LOT! It also raised my glucose levels to astronomical levels (400-500). My A1c was between 10 and 11. Over time, it damaged my nerves. I didn't realize this until my feet began to burn. After slowly decreasing imipramine by 5 mg per week until completely coming off it, my feet were unbearable. The pain was constant. I couldn't walk, or have anything on my feet. I would sleep with my blankets folded up and my feet hanging off the bed. I would soak my feet in ice water to alleviate the burning and pain."

mom483 (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I began having panic and anxiety attacks when I was 25. I suffered with them for about 10 years and a new doctor put me on imipramine. I've had only one or two anxiety attacks since and its been years. I'm now 72 and I haven't noticed any bad reactions to the medication."

SextonMomo April 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tofranil (imipramine) for Depression: "Waste of 75 bucks. My mood only increased slightly, and in exchange I got terrible bouts of dizziness and vertigo. Most of the time I felt like I'd been shot with a tranquilizer dart. Horrible experience. After only a week or so, I started to get nausea as well, so I had to stop. I regret spending money on this med."

Kam I (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was prescribed this med for depression which is also effective at bedtime for sleep & fibromyalgia pain. The pain improved significantly and I felt more rested the next day. A dry mouth is the main side effect that is noticeable. This drug is very helpful."

angie40dia December 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I was prescribed this medication for chronic widespread musclepain(fibromyalgia) and neuropathic pain,and allodynia all over plus vulvodynia. It does take the edge off,and the pain is not as intense as it used to be, but still continuing sadly. It did take away my sleep paralysis episodes,and sleep hallucinations, amazing for sleep too.Its a great drug, its the only one I can tolerate, I tried amytriptyline and all the SSRI's but the side effects been horrendous,and had a devastating effect on my functioning.The only effects imipramine have on me is some dizziness and drowsiness during the day, fast heart rate, and mild loss of libido, but other than these I feel its very useful with pain and sleep.The first few days expect nausea,and somnolence."

truetina22 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Only been on it about 6 weeks and only up to 30mg. Moods are a little better so far but insomnia hello. I'm lucky to get 3 or 4 hours a nite I don't get how all of you sleep. I used to fall right asleep with my topamax at nite. Now he has me taking my gabapentin, topamax and imipramine at bedtime optional Ativan too but then I wake up groggy defeating the purpose of great mood in the am. Hum maybe my meds don't play nice together at nite lol. I do get the dry mouth I really hate that but it has improved my morning moods which is what we were going for. I do have anxiety and it doesn't help with a quick onset. I am hopeful for this med as I have tried just about everything out there!"

Missy33 June 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I am currently active duty in the military and suffer from severe panic attacks and depression. I've been put on serveral different medications including k-pin, zanax, ativan and others. All helped a little but only for an hour or so, so I was taking them constantly. Tofranil has given me my sanity back. The first day taking it I saw an immediate change. I did not have a panic attack for the first time in an entire year and my mood seemed to improve a little. I strongly believe this medication should be tried first before attempting to try ativan or any other benzodiazepines."

Airborne77 March 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I switched from Prozac to Imipramine after reading extensively about how successful it was before the advent of SSRI's. I have had ZERO side effects and no drowsiness on 100mg of Imipramine, while Prozac made me manic and absolutely ruined my gastrointestinal tract. I have been very happy with this medicine, best one I have taken so far for Major Depression. It is also cheap."

ehh80 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tofranil (imipramine) for Panic Disorder: "Nightmares, hard to sleep."

Sambaluk August 1, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I have insomnia and fibromyalgia. The pain from the fibromyalgia is worsened when I can't sleep well. My doctor prescribed this medication to me mainly for better sleep. He said that this medication was one of the first non-stimulant medication for ADHD (which I've been diagnosed with) and so it may help with my ADHD symptoms as well. When I first started taking this I felt nauseated all the time, for about 2 1/2 weeks. Once that passed I felt like I really was sleeping better. About 2 months in I started having vivid hallucinations and 6 months I started having kidney pain and urinary tract problems. I'm now trying to ween myself off of it because sadly the side effects are outweighing the better sleep."

Katherine R. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tofranil (imipramine) for Panic Disorder: "Tofranil is THE medicine to take for Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder recently, and I was a complete mess. Depressed, suicidal, anxious, the works. My primary care Dr. gave me Xanax. The Xanax helped, but only for short spurts. It also made me more depressed. I was taking up to 3 mg per day, and barely functioning. I got in to see a Psychiatrist, and he is older and more experienced. He immediately knew I had Panic Disorder, and started me on Tofranil. Tofranil absolutely stopped the panic attacks cold. I have been able to cut the Xanax way back, and feel, dare I say, normal. Tofranil is an old medicine, so many docs don't or won't try it. Newer is not always better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "I started at 25 mg and slowly made my way up to 125mg. It's really not doing much. It has blocked my panic attacks but doesn't seem to do much for everyday anxiety. This is week 5 and I'm thinking of trying a new medication. The side effects aren't as bad. I didn't have any appetite changes and no sexual side effects (sex drive improved). Only side effect I had was a dry mouth after >100 mg dosages - it is pretty annoying but its not that bad. Other side effect is random episodes of being tired - (again this side effect wasn't that bad). The only really bad thing I have to say about it is that it didn't really work for my generalized anxiety disorder. It does block panic attacks though! I highly recommend for bad panic attack sufferers."

Ash111 December 22, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tofranil (imipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I had my first panic attacks immediately following the birth of my first son 18 years ago when I was 28 years old. The panic attacks were horrific and occurred randomly. I was prescribed a few different medications that weren't successful, but when I was prescribed Imipramine, I felt I had my life back. I doubt that I could have continued to be a primary school teacher without Imipramine. It has really been a miracle medication to me. When doctors hear that I take Imipramine, they usually comment that it is a really old drug that has been around since the 60's. Then they ask if I'd like to try one of the newer drugs. No way! I feel perfect on Imipramine. I can't say enough great things about it."

Anonymous November 15, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Great for irritable bowel syndrome but I've gained a lot of weight."

Jock 57 January 27, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tofranil (imipramine) for Panic Disorder: "I have suffered with Panic Attacks all my life but went undiagnosed until 1989. I am now 58 and trust me when I tell you that there is no cure. In my initial diagnosis I was started on Tofranil as an inpatient. After my discharge from the hospital I went 5 entire years without having a panic attack. When they resumed I had to be re-hospitalized and it was there I was put on Klonopin, which I have essentially been off of for a year. I am having constant panic attacks. My daughter does not want me to resume Klonopin as when on it I slept all the time. I did this search to see if Tofranil is still being used for panic disorder and I see that it is. I plan to have my psychiatrist to put me back on it as it really worked."

Jo212 June 27, 2010