User Reviews for Imipramine to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: Tofranil

Imipramine has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Imipramine Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Imipramine

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2012

Tofranil (imipramine): “Tofranil is THE medicine to take for Panic Disorder. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder recently, and I was a complete mess. Depressed, suicidal, anxious, the works. My primary care Dr. gave me Xanax. The Xanax helped, but only for short spurts. It also made me more depressed. I was taking up to 3 mg per day, and barely functioning. I got in to see a Psychiatrist, and he is older and more experienced. He immediately knew I had Panic Disorder, and started me on Tofranil. Tofranil absolutely stopped the panic attacks cold. I have been able to cut the Xanax way back, and feel, dare I say, normal. Tofranil is an old medicine, so many docs don't or won't try it. Newer is not always better.”

Anonymous November 15, 2011

Tofranil (imipramine): “I had my first panic attacks immediately following the birth of my first son 18 years ago when I was 28 years old. The panic attacks were horrific and occurred randomly. I was prescribed a few different medications that weren't successful, but when I was prescribed Imipramine, I felt I had my life back. I doubt that I could have continued to be a primary school teacher without Imipramine. It has really been a miracle medication to me. When doctors hear that I take Imipramine, they usually comment that it is a really old drug that has been around since the 60's. Then they ask if I'd like to try one of the newer drugs. No way! I feel perfect on Imipramine. I can't say enough great things about it.”

Anonymous September 17, 2009

Tofranil (imipramine): “I had suffered with panic attacks since I was around 14 years old. There came a time when I had shock treatments because back in the 60's not much was known about these kinds of illnesses. Later on, I became completely housebound for 8 years. I heard about Tofranil and decided to try it. Within 3 weeks I was able to not only get out of my house but go about 3 blocks away. It takes time, but if it had not been for Tofranil combined with Xanax I would still be home bound. It works, no two ways about it. When nothing else did. The only side effects were sleepiness until it gets into your system (2 weeks for me) and dry mouth. But for me that was nothing to getting my life back.”

Airborne77 March 9, 2015

“I am currently active duty in the military and suffer from severe panic attacks and depression. I've been put on serveral different medications including k-pin, zanax, ativan and others. All helped a little but only for an hour or so, so I was taking them constantly. Tofranil has given me my sanity back. The first day taking it I saw an immediate change. I did not have a panic attack for the first time in an entire year and my mood seemed to improve a little. I strongly believe this medication should be tried first before attempting to try ativan or any other benzodiazepines.”

Chacha753 March 27, 2017

“This medication saved my life! I've only been taking it for almost 2 weeks but I was thrilled at the fast response I had to it! I've literally tried almost every other antidepressant without much success for over 20 years - for my debilitating panic disorder/GAD/depression. Thank you to the Dr who started me on this recently while I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt. I can now leave my home without any fear or anxiety; my panic attacks/panic are literally gone! I feel like a new person! The only side effects I've had so far are dry mouth/dry eyes and a bit of tachycardia. It also helps me sleep for once; I take it at bedtime. I was titrated up to the 100mg dose once at bedtime. I cannot emphasize enough how happy I am to have this!”

BK · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2020

“This drug imipramine has changed my life. I have tried a dozen different SSRIs, and nothing has helped my panic disorder and depression as much as Imipramine. No noticeable side effects for me, either.”

Jo212 June 27, 2010

Tofranil (imipramine): “I have suffered with Panic Attacks all my life but went undiagnosed until 1989. I am now 58 and trust me when I tell you that there is no cure. In my initial diagnosis I was started on Tofranil as an inpatient. After my discharge from the hospital I went 5 entire years without having a panic attack. When they resumed I had to be re-hospitalized and it was there I was put on Klonopin, which I have essentially been off of for a year. I am having constant panic attacks. My daughter does not want me to resume Klonopin as when on it I slept all the time. I did this search to see if Tofranil is still being used for panic disorder and I see that it is. I plan to have my psychiatrist to put me back on it as it really worked.”

SextonMomo April 22, 2016

“I began having panic and anxiety attacks when I was 25. I suffered with them for about 10 years and a new doctor put me on imipramine. I've had only one or two anxiety attacks since and its been years. I'm now 72 and I haven't noticed any bad reactions to the medication.”

Ash111 December 22, 2011

“I started at 25 mg and slowly made my way up to 125mg. It's really not doing much. It has blocked my panic attacks but doesn't seem to do much for everyday anxiety. This is week 5 and I'm thinking of trying a new medication. The side effects aren't as bad. I didn't have any appetite changes and no sexual side effects (sex drive improved). Only side effect I had was a dry mouth after >100 mg dosages - it is pretty annoying but its not that bad. Other side effect is random episodes of being tired - (again this side effect wasn't that bad). The only really bad thing I have to say about it is that it didn't really work for my generalized anxiety disorder. It does block panic attacks though! I highly recommend for bad panic attack sufferers.”

italyYYC · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2019

“-First 4 days of imipramine @50mg I would have odd outer body type experiences just before falling asleep, created more panic. -2nd and 3rd week I could feel my panic fighting against the medication, I thought it maybe starting to work. by the second month I was going to the bathroom only once a week, yes the constipation is real. I had a full body cold shiver which took up 90% of my day, restless leg while trying to sleep, problems urinating and my anxiety was back. You would think only on a month and a half I can stop, NO, had to taper off, next, Everyone will react different.”

Dmorris3672 March 12, 2017

“I have had awesome results with this drug, after going through a rough year being taken on & off of medications that almost ruined my life. My Dr has been sending me to check my blood levels & they seem to keep going up. I was taking 200 mg at night & he dropped it to 175mg. It took 3 weeks to start feeling withdrawal & it was awful. He then increased it back to 200 mg & my imipramine levels are higher then they have ever been. I am scared he is going to reduce or try to put me on another drug. Anyone ever had problems with blood levels of imipramine?”

jserrent · Taken for 10 years or more September 18, 2021

“People are so different ! I've been on Imipramine / Tofranil now for 44 years. It literally saved my life and career. Endogenous ( from within ) not Reactive Anxiety/Panic/ Depressive Disorder from my Mom set in around 19 years old. Periodically I would quit only to get slammed and take months to get better again. Then I tried the new stuff Prozac”

Sambaluk August 1, 2013

Tofranil (imipramine): “Nightmares, hard to sleep.”

Cherylannj · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2016

“Helps the panic disorder. But I havent slept in 3 days. Is this medication a stimulate? ?????”

Species kkrittv February 12, 2017

“Did not work only made me very tired”

Not a good choice December 6, 2016

“Very bad side effects on day 6 and I have to stop taking. Nausea all the time. Headaches. Dizziness. Nervousness. Tired constantly. On very low dose.”

Learn more about Panic Disorder