User Reviews for Nortriptyline

1 review 53 medications
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 7.4 411 reviews

Reviews for Nortriptyline

Carol · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 12, 2019

For Pain: "I’m impressed the pain of arthritis was relentless and I thought it would never go away after 10 years finally a neurologist helped and prescribed nortriptyline! After figuring what time of day worked for me (5pm) because taking at bedtime would keep you talking to yourself all night long! I can finally get sleep and no pain. Yes dry mouth comes with it , try taking ACT lozenges it helps!"

Tree · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I have migraine associated vertigo (1 year +). Forget how many meds I have tried, but 10 mg nortriptyline was fine. I was having good sleep. Dry mouth. DR increased it to 20 mg. I started feeling more dizzy and nausea. Week 2, blurry vision and slurred speech. I declined more with mobility and strength. Told to go to the ER and got migraine IV. Slowly weaned off nortriptyline and thankfully no more blurry vision and slurred speech. DR never talked about these side effects and this was very frightening."

Emily · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "My doctor prescribed me this tricyclic antidepressant nortriptyline 25mg at bedtime as our second try at a migraine preventive. My previous prophylaxis was a beta blocker that I stopped due to side effects. Oddly my pulse was high when I started taking it. Luckily that ended up being temporary; it returned to normal in a few weeks. I do have a dry mouth but am fine when I'm drinking enough water and chewing gum. Dry mouth increases risk for cavities so good dental hygiene is now essential. It took a few weeks to work but I haven't had as many bad migraines while on it. I think nortriptyline has mildly helped with anxiety and sleep. My favorite thing is how affordable it is. Not having to use as much expensive sumatriptan also has helped financially."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 9, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It worked like a charm for no more than about two years (possibly less) until the side effects started to wear off, but while it was working I could almost have believed myself cured. The drug was given to me for relief of peripheral neuropathy pain, not IBS, but my doctor told me constipation was a common side effect. I assured him that would be no problem. So far I've not had a lot of the aching all the way round and not feeling well in the belly that I had every day, but I'm continually having to clean myself and am therefore permanently sore. I am going to have to seek something else for this. Having been relieved of the misery of it and finding out just how miserable I had been, I'm not willing to suffer with it any more. I'm quite angry that my previous doctor let me continue believing there was nothing that doctors could do for IBS and let me carry on dragging through my household chores feeling like death warmed up."

Ianmightknow · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I suffer with depression, social anxiety and migraines. I was prescribed Nortriptyline at just 20mg daily to reduce migraine frequency, but I noticed it seemed to make my anxiety much worse. I ploughed on because the migraines were dreadful and it did reduce their frequency and severity. I have stopped taking it after three years because I can no longer tolerate the side-effects of dry mouth, general spaceyness, difficulty finding words and speaking and heightened anxiety. These side effects disappeared completely within forty-eight hours and my anxiety is much more bearable. I’ll find another medication for the migraines because this one is just too troublesome."

Helpsme · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 2, 2019

Aventyl Hydrochloride (nortriptyline) for : "Aventyl has done wonders for my IBS-D condition. I honestly feel like it gave me my life back"

Penguin · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

For Pain: "I was prescribed nortryptaline for chronic back pain after an injury. Unlike most here, I was given 5mg at night, meant to up to 10mg after 5 days. I’m on day 5 and I’m stopping. Immediately I’ve experienced excessive sweating, dry mouth, slight weight gain, nausea, sadness, headaches and the worst is the insomnia! I am not sleeping at all. I can see this going downhill and am getting married in a few weeks so don’t need to be all messed up. Do your research, I wouldn’t recommend though"

Vothene · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2019

For Depression: "I was hospitalized for depression recently after many hospitalizations. I have tried almost all of SSRIs & the only one that slightly helped was Wellbutrin. It stopped working for me in the last year along with lithium. I was prescribed nortriptyline in hospital starting at 10 mg up to 100 mg. Shortly after the 100 mg I experienced a feeling of being on speed. The surge of rage taking over me and caused so many panic attacks. After a visit to ER it was reduced to 85 mg. After a couple of days on 85 mg of nortriptyline I felt like my old self again. In disbelief my lack of motivation was gone and I experienced “my old self”. So far it has been a week and I feel very good. I hope this lasts as I’ve been experiencing treatment resistant depression for 4 years now. Let’s hope this tricyclics antidepressant is the answer for me."

Sash August 24, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "Since being on Allegron 35mg now (Nortriptyline in the UK), I started on 10mg, my migraines and even headaches has massively subsided. In the past 4 months I’ve only had 2 migraines. Previously to taking this medication I was have anywhere between 5-6 migraines a month, some months I was have 2-3 every week. Very pleased with result. Much happy at work and home. Enjoying quality time with my kids and husband."

Jane August 14, 2019

For Pain: "I have been suffering from teeth pain, specifically my lower molars. Also jaw and facial pain all on my left bottom side. First thought was cavity so I went to the dentist he put a crown on one of my molars. Pain continued he put another crown next to the previous. Pain continued I decided to get a second opinion the dentist referred me to Endodontist and she did an Ice test determined I needed a root canal. Their was no swelling or infection just pain that I couldn’t pin point. After root canal and new crown still in pain. I decided to see my medical doctor and she said it was temporomandibular joint pain (TMJ) and told me to take ibuprofen. Pain was severe at times that the ibuprofen wouldn’t work. I ended up at the ER and they gave me a shot for pain and a referral to an maxillofacial dr. He finally said it could be nerve pain and gave me Nortriptyline I am currently on my second week using 20 milligrams but started with 10mg so far pain is still there I guess I have to wait and see. Wish me luck!"

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

Aventyl Hydrochloride (nortriptyline) for Depression: "I've had Aventyl twice. Before, it was an effective antidepressant, and I was on it for years. Now, it helps me sleep; that's a new thing for me. I have not experienced any problematic side-effects. Getting to sleep through the night makes life so much better."

Baxter · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2019

For Pain: "I have been struggling with progressively worsening never pain, for 10 years. I cannot lift up on my toes on either leg, due to nerve damaged (slipped disc on one leg and some kind of impact arthritis on the other) The nortriptyline has virtually eliminated the nerve pain! I've been taking 25 mg for one month, The so called "side effects" are virtually all positive. Constipation? Great! .. now I can have just one bowel movement per day instead of 5 or 6. Sleepiness? Great, I sleep much better now! I used to take a half dozen each ibuprofen and acetaminophen and 2 naproxen almost every day ... now one ibuprofen some mornings and that's all I need Cannot say enough good things about this product!"

Nikki July 28, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "It definitely helps with the migraine, but I can’t stay on it because it makes me dizzy, low blood pressure, fatigue, and foggy-headed. I might take it occasionally. Oh yeah! And it made me feel depressed"

Nora · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 25, 2019

For Pain: "Game changer for those who have pelvis nerve damage from Endometriosis, this works get rid of 95% of my flare ups. I can actually function and enjoy my life! Also it gave me a major energy boost, post induced menopause. I take a low does of 10mg each day before bed. Ongoing 2 years now and don’t need to up it yet. My endo specialist recommended it to me, I am so pleased’"

Shelly · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2019

For Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome: "Still had unbearable pain at times. Pain was still 24/7, but some what reduced, Very bad dry mouth, felt like I was choking all the time. I was always tired, but unable to sleep. Did not help suicidal thoughts."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After years of suffering with IBS-(D), I ended up seeing a brand new doctor at the Polyclinic. He started off treatment by eliminating all of the scary stuff- I had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, gastric emptying study, blood work, etc. When all results came back normal, he decided to treat the IBS symptoms with Nortriptyline (25 mg per night) and the low fodmap diet. I am thrilled to say that my symptoms have finally subsided, at least enough to where I can live my life and eat comfortably. Although I wouldn’t say I’m completely symptom free, I feel significantly better. I’m not sure if it was this medicine or the low fodmap diet that worked best, however I will continue to do both and slowly add foods back in. Definitely try this out if it is recommended for you! This is coming from someone who suffered for 6+ years and has tried every diet, supplement, and medication known to man."

Relieved June 9, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I’ve had migraines on and off since high school. Around my 50th birthday I started getting them every 3 to 4 weeks for over a year and a half. Over the counter meds didn’t work. The only thing that worked was an IV at the hospital. My doctor prescribed 10 mg of nortriptyline, which did nothing. It was increased to 25 mg, then finally 50 mg. It’s now been about 12 weeks since I’ve had a migraine. I had a mild headache last week due to a cold, but Tylenol took care of it. My doctor thinks my migraines are hormonal, caused by peri menopause, and plans to keep me on it for another year or two until I go through menopause. Without wanting to sound sappy, this medication in this dosage has changed my quality of life as I can make plans without fear of having to cancel them."

Enigma · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "My doctor prescribed me nortriptyline for nerve pain and anxiety disorder about a month ago. I have been taking a dose of 25 mg once a day and after taking it for about 3 weeks I did notice betterment with the anxiety and panic issues, also less pain. I will continue to take it and see how it works in the longer term. I normally do NOT take pharma drugs but nothing else I tried has worked for me. So far so good on the nortriptyline.."

Rkpublic · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2019

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for : "I have plantar fasciitis so to walk was killing me. I could barely walk. It sided lined me for simple outings with my family. Had to sit with my feet up all the time. Nothing but pain. My doctor gave me Pamelor, and he told me it would help the nerve pain. I was up and going after taking Pamelor for a week, No pain. I’ll take the the low ringing and the constipation over not enjoying life again."

Natalie · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2019

For Vulvodynia: "I started taking nortriptyline at only 10MG for vulvodynia, as soon as I started I noticed difficulty in urinating, after a week I saw my GP who told me to increase the dose to 20 MG, the pain was getting considerably worse and when setting I was getting shooting pains, my mood has changed dramatically dark thoughts, severe depression and anxiety, I now have panic attacks, and my nerve pain has sky rocketed! I was told to tolerate the side effects but they have become so severe that I am now unable to sit without a toilet seat! I saw a consultant who diagnosed me with Pudendal neuralgia, I never had these symptoms before taking nortriptyline!! ....... this medication has ruined my life!!!!! There is no one out there that than offer me an explanation?? I only took this medication for four weeks, I have been off this now for 6 1/2 weeks and there have been no improvement whatsoever, the nerve pain is so bad! I wish I’d never heard of this dreaded medication!"

F · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2019

For Pain: "I have Radiculopathy (cervical and thoracic spine) and was prescribed nortriptyline for acute flare of disc/nerve pain due to bulging discs. As a doctor myself I was cynical that tricyclics can be used for ACUTE pain (general consensus is chronic pain and long term use) but my GP insisted I could take it acutely and stop abruptly afterwards. I have found it to be superb for the pain relief; first dose was first time I slept through the night (previously was woken by pain at 4/5am). Due to it's very long half life, it seems to continue working until late afternoon the next day when I feel the pain return. Within 2 weeks of taking it I have been able to make my first gym visit in 6 months. The only downside I have noticed is when I feel acute flare is over and stop taking it, I feel low in mood/depressed. I also find myself awake at 2am (not from pain or anxiety, just not tired). So I do worry about becoming dependent on them for sleep and having low mood as a withdrawal effect. For the pain itself thought, I absolutely rate it."

Spitfire · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2019

For Depression: "Felt horrible on nortriptyline during the 5 weeks I took it and never took more than 25mg. Had depression, anxiety, fatigue, dizziness and it sent my BP up. I tapered off and I am day 16 off of it. My headaches are horrible. Does anything help with these side effects. I’ve been to the doctor twice this week and he says it’s out of my system."

no one · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 25, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm 23 years old, have had IBS-C since I had my galbladder removed at 18, and have been in extreme pain on a regular basis. A doctor switched me from 10mg dose of Amitryptaline (made me too sleepy) to 10 mg of Nortriptyline saying the side effects would help with my IBS symptoms. Within two weeks I had developed agoraphobia. I was scared of the door of my apartment, physically terrified, had no idea why. Wasn't able to change medications until I returned to my home country over a year later. It did help immensely with my IBS symptoms, it didn't cure everything, but I could survive daily life. If you have a history with anxiety or depression, even if you have resolved it through psychotherapy as I did, be cautious of any mental changes after starting Nortriptyline. I wouldn't recommend starting it if you live an isolated life and don't have a loved one to monitor your changes in behavior. It took me two months to realize it was the medication and I wasn't just going insane."

Xx · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "Tension headaches gone, less stressed/anxious feeling and better mood. Sleep is perfect. 20 mg in the evening. Do not take during the day, it will make you too tired and "out of it". Worked perfectly day one, then seemed to make headaches worse for a while. I stuck with it since I read everywhere it can take up to 4 weeks or even longer to work and then at 4 weeks almost exactly everything is much improved. Works great. Went up to 20 mg week 2 (started at 10mg). 10 mg may have worked just as well...hard to say..."

pain4years · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I just started nortriptyline and so far have not had migraine attack, I'm hoping this drug continues to work for me"