User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 39 medications

3.2
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 3 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 323 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "I found the taking nortriptyline was very helpful especially when your head is hurting beyond a 10 . When your in need of some super relief in minutes. "

3823Dinkdink June 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Fell in to major depression at age 40. Tried 5 diff SSRI and no improvement . Then started pamelor . Wow the light went on. On 100mg for 25 yrs. Life saver. I'll put up with Constipation and dry mouth to stay happy."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug has been life changing for me and I've been on it for about 3 years now. As soon as I stop taking it my symptoms come back full force. My only complaint is that I did break out in hives when I first started taking it but this eventually stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I've been taking 10mg nortriptyline now for 5 weeks for severe anxiety and depression. Very happy with results. Still have some depression but it kicked butt on the anxiety. I can function normally again. No side effects at all."

Nick G (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 33 have been taking 25mg for the past 4.5 years. I have been getting aura migraines since I was 13. They have always been unpredictable and could never pin down particular triggers. In my early 20s I took sandomigran for a couple years but found I gained too much weight and still got migraines. For the first 4 years -pretty much to the day, of taking nortriptyline I didn't have a single migraine, normal headaches lessened, my irritable bowel syndrome and endometriosis improved and then I got the dreaded aura and a terrible migraine. I have now had 3 migraines in the past 5 months and curious as to why it's not working as effectively as it used too. Side effects: no weight gain, I get a dry mouth all day, lowered libido, restless sleep."

Emma delemma (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking 30mg a night for 7 or 8 years now. It doesn't stop the migraines but it lessens the pain and makes them less frequent. One of the better medications I have tried. Others have either not worked or have had horrible side effects. I tried to go off of Nortriptyline twice now because I do feel it increases my appetite, but both times the headaches got worse. So for me Nortriptyline and Botox shots have been the most helpful."

PeachK May 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "It took four months before I could titrate up from 50mg to 75mg. I'm on it for Dysautonomia, nuerolgia, fibromyalgia, depression. At that point I felt significant improvement from the depression and panic attacks. I weaned myself off at one point for fear that I was having a bad side effect. I had forgotten how much pain relief it provided until I was off of it. This is one of the most helpful medications I've ever taken! It helps with pain, dysautonomia and depression! I don't think it gives me bad side effects. I've had serious bad side effects from SSRI's so I was very nervous but had to try something. I'm also on Gabapentin which helps with sleep and pain but coupled with this drug I've done so much better."

Mom of Seven (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Negative: took the full dose of 125mg (Allegron) for 3+ months for depression. No effect whatsoever. Started to taper off about a month ago, went fully off about two weeks ago: very annoying withdrawal side-effects: night sweating, and now one of a sudden also stomach problems (minor but very annoying) and mysterious dizziness, uneasy feeling in the whole body, palpitation and overwhelming fatigue and numbness. Would not recommend at all."

AlexTS April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given this medicine to take daily to prevent migraines, and I don't know if it worked because it threw me into the WORST depression I've ever dealt with in my life. At the peak of this I had a panic attack so bad I was considering dropping out of college! Luckily I realized that the pill was making me feel this way and as SOON as I stopped it the depressive episodes and anxiety went away. I was on a small dose too. TERRIBLE. BE CAREFUL WITH IT IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY/PREDISPOSITION TO DEPRESSION/ANXIETY"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I'm 61 yrs old and have been taking Nortriptyline for about 30 years for depression. I believe I was depressed most of my life before being diagnosed. Initially, it took about 4 weeks before I started feeling the effects of the drug, but once it kicked in it made all the difference in the world. After many years, my doctor had me try some of the newer SSRI drugs (while still on Nortriptyline) and with each one I didn't feel at all like myself (like I was watching my life from outside myself), so with each attempt at trying a new drug, I kept going back to what worked best. Nortriptyline. I guess I'd consider myself a poster child for the drug, because it's always given me a level mood and I've never experienced deep depression while on it."

Debbs360 April 25, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines since my daughter was born in 1967. I was prescribed Cafergot to take at start of headache. It worked well for each attack, but had a lot of side effects. I would get migraine episodes from once a week to 3 or 4 times a week. While employed, I would have to go to the ladies lounge and rest for the period it too to alleviate the pain. Then my blood pressure got out of control, thereby creating another problem. I was having a lot of nausea and vomiting also. After retiring at 50, a new doctor prescribed Amytriptilyne. Recently a new doc took me off it and migraine returned with a vengeance. I'm now taking Nortriptyline and it has worked wonders! No more migraine at all."

Wifeofgary April 14, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Dose has been Titrated up by 10 mg every 2 weeks. Now at 75 mg a day. Pain of Chemo induced bi-lateral Peripheral Neuropathy is as bad as ever. When dose was increasing pain relief of a few hours was bliss. Now at maximum dose and side effects are as bad as the pain. Have to wait another month to see pain clinic. Dry mouth causing problems swallowing. This is last resort as almost every other drug treatment has been tried over 6 years."

Gobbledeegook (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Have suffered with back pain for 22 yrs. I'm 60 yrs old now. Started taking nortriptyline 4 days ago. While I know that's not very long I can say back pain is much better. Depression is much better. Overall feeling is much better. Sleeping better and longer. I have noticed some drowsiness but not a lot. I hope things continue in the direction I'm currently headed. Good luck!"

Mikey60 April 10, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I was prescribed this stuff for insomnia and the first and only night I took it I had a massive nervous breakdown. About two hours after taking it and still not able to sleep I began to feel slightly nervous and sad. I couldn't stop thinking about killing myself. I had to wake up my husband at 2 AM to help snap me out of it and I never did get to sleep that night. Needless to say I will never take this garbage again."

Zzzzoe March 21, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I posted about 2 months ago when I first started taking Nortriptyline, 25mg, once a day. I had a continuous headache day in and out. After taking multiple drugs, Imitrex, Prodrin, Midrin, not much relief. After about 2 weeks on Nortriptyline my continuous headache had diminished, "almost" entirely. I did notice though many afternoons my headache return and I had to take other meds to help reduce the discomfort. I talked to my doctor and he agreed maybe 2x a day would be best. 25mg in the morning and again at night. That was about 3 weeks ago and now, very rarely do I have any headaches, at any time of day. I hope this continues. What a relief. To me, this has been a true wonder drug for my 24 hour headache! No side effects."

bwilla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "After being diagnosed with vestibular migraines about a year ago, I resisted taking any medications. The dizziness and feeling unwell caused depression as I was afraid to go anywhere and get a major dizzy spell that would make me also have symptoms of a stroke ( numb face and arm and difficulty speaking.) I started taking Nortrypraline and stopped after a few days as I was so tired and felt nauseated. My doctor told me to give it a go for a solid month and I'm so glad that I did. After about three weeks I started feeling so much better. Less episodes and when they came on, they were very mild. I'm only taking 10mg but plan to increase to 20 to see if even more benefits are seen once I get the ok from my doctor."

Thekmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "About 25 years ago I suffered from debilitating headaches that lasted for days on end with varying intensity, but never quite gone. Upon visiting a neurologist I was told I suffer from Cluster headaches and he prescribed Nortriptyline. I have been taking 50 mg daily at bedtime for the 25 years since. I very rarely suffer from any headache at all as long as I remember to take my pill at bedtime and yes, I do sleep great. Nortriptyine was a godsend for me!"

Prinnie February 27, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "My VA. appointed Neurologist has migraines and swears by the use of Nortriptyline, so he prescribe two tablets (10mg) at bed time for headache prevention. Problem is my headaches are more severe than migraines and I have been on it for 1 month. I wake up everyday with severe headaches morning and noon."

TBI Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Been using this drug for 2 years .I used to have bad pain in lower back and numbness in my legs due to nerve damage .started with 30mg now only take 10 mg .it works for me virtually pain free .do have dry mouth and sometimes have bad dreams but I can manage that as I can walk without pain and still go to work."

Holidaymaker (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I suffered depression and anxiety at a young age due to a stuttering problem but I never knew at that time what caused it. I went to a Dr. at the age of 22 and he put me on Pamelor. I was afraid to take it but I did. The first few days it made me feel weird. I felt like a zombie at first for maybe 3 days but then it went away. In 6 weeks my depression was gone and I felt like a normal person. I was normal. I think my does at one point was 100 which is moderate. People need to know that this type of med takes 6-8 weeks to work and when it does its like a fog has lifted, for me at least. You have to be careful with weight gain because it does increase your appetite. It helped me sleep at night. 6-8 weeks to work."

ThomasF February 19, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Been on nortriptyline for less than a week and I absolutely hate it. Started with 20mg first few days but have reduced to 10mg in hopes of minimizing side effects. Having hell of a time falling asleep, low grade headaches and blurred vision. But the worst is the sexual side effect of ED. Had been on 10mg of amitriptyline for years previously. Slept great on that and had no ED problems. Had the fogginess the next day though I had gotten used to that. Planning to switch back but Doc wants me to wait two weeks in hope that side effects will lessen. Have DDD in lower back 4+ years and chronic foot pain from super high arches for 17 years. Pain had increased recently so doc thought Nortriptyline might help better. Also on 900mg Neurontin a day"

SP2015 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Well I'm currently taking four 25mg nortriptyline a night for the past few months this is the only tablet that seems to keep my migraines at bay as I was diagnosed with classical migraines after my MRI scan if I miss one night I will get a migraine the day after every time I cannot miss a night taking them otherwise I pay for it the next day I can have up to 3 major migraines a day but this dosage and these tablets seem to be working for me ."

Cravoo Chris 16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking Nortriptyline 25mg for two months. I previously had daily migraines for over a year. No other treatment options worked. The Nortriptyline works! It prevents the migraine from even starting. You have to be good at remembering to take it. If you miss a dose pain can return. I take it one time in the evening. I have only experienced one side effect and that is that it makes me sleep harder. Doesn't make me sleepy though. I would definitely recommend this med to anyone who suffers with migraines that don't have a deeper cause."

1NC318 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I have had Cyclic/Chronic vomiting syndrome for 2 years now and I've only just a few months ago got treatment for it. It works very well but I still get nauseous sometimes but haven't vomited since September."

MattieCakes January 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I am 56 years old who with severe chronic nerve pain in my neck from herniation at C6-C7 and C4-C5. I opted no surgery and I have had zero quality of life and on bed rest for 4 years. Started PT with pain meds neurotin 600mg and I was slowly able to function in a brain fog but free from strong narcotics. Went to amitriptyline 40mg at night slept great but next day brain fog with memory lapses and always tired. Now on 10mg nortriptyline I take in the morning Because it affects me like a stimulate and hard to sleep at night but been on for a week. I have constipation but I take fiber in water helps. I love been alert with a clear head! So far no pain on 10mg so I won't increase unless I have pain. A very livable dose."

Jen A (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017