User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Dysautonomia

1 review 53 medications
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 7.4 394 reviews

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Vulvodynia: "I started taking nortriptyline at only 10MG for vulvodynia, as soon as I started I noticed difficulty in urinating, after a week I saw my GP who told me to increase the dose to 20 MG, the pain was getting considerably worse and when setting I was getting shooting pains, my mood has changed dramatically dark thoughts, severe depression and anxiety, I now have panic attacks, and my nerve pain has sky rocketed! I was told to tolerate the side effects but they have become so severe that I am now unable to sit without a toilet seat! I saw a consultant who diagnosed me with Pudendal neuralgia, I never had these symptoms before taking nortriptyline!! ....... this medication has ruined my life!!!!! There is no one out there that than offer me an explanation?? I only took this medication for four weeks, I have been off this now for 6 1/2 weeks and there have been no improvement whatsoever, the nerve pain is so bad! I wish I’d never heard of this dreaded medication!"

Natalie (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

For Pain: "I have Radiculopathy (cervical and thoracic spine) and was prescribed nortriptyline for acute flare of disc/nerve pain due to bulging discs. As a doctor myself I was cynical that tricyclics can be used for ACUTE pain (general consensus is chronic pain and long term use) but my GP insisted I could take it acutely and stop abruptly afterwards. I have found it to be superb for the pain relief; first dose was first time I slept through the night (previously was woken by pain at 4/5am). Due to it's very long half life, it seems to continue working until late afternoon the next day when I feel the pain return. Within 2 weeks of taking it I have been able to make my first gym visit in 6 months. The only downside I have noticed is when I feel acute flare is over and stop taking it, I feel low in mood/depressed. I also find myself awake at 2am (not from pain or anxiety, just not tired). So I do worry about becoming dependent on them for sleep and having low mood as a withdrawal effect. For the pain itself thought, I absolutely rate it."

F (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2019

For Depression: "Felt horrible on nortriptyline during the 5 weeks I took it and never took more than 25mg. Had depression, anxiety, fatigue, dizziness and it sent my BP up. I tapered off and I am day 16 off of it. My headaches are horrible. Does anything help with these side effects. I’ve been to the doctor twice this week and he says it’s out of my system."

Spitfire (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm 23 years old, have had IBS-C since I had my galbladder removed at 18, and have been in extreme pain on a regular basis. A doctor switched me from 10mg dose of Amitryptaline (made me too sleepy) to 10 mg of Nortriptyline saying the side effects would help with my IBS symptoms. Within two weeks I had developed agoraphobia. I was scared of the door of my apartment, physically terrified, had no idea why. Wasn't able to change medications until I returned to my home country over a year later. It did help immensely with my IBS symptoms, it didn't cure everything, but I could survive daily life. If you have a history with anxiety or depression, even if you have resolved it through psychotherapy as I did, be cautious of any mental changes after starting Nortriptyline. I wouldn't recommend starting it if you live an isolated life and don't have a loved one to monitor your changes in behavior. It took me two months to realize it was the medication and I wasn't just going insane."

no one (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 25, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "Tension headaches gone, less stressed/anxious feeling and better mood. Sleep is perfect. 20 mg in the evening. Do not take during the day, it will make you too tired and "out of it". Worked perfectly day one, then seemed to make headaches worse for a while. I stuck with it since I read everywhere it can take up to 4 weeks or even longer to work and then at 4 weeks almost exactly everything is much improved. Works great. Went up to 20 mg week 2 (started at 10mg). 10 mg may have worked just as well...hard to say..."

Xx (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I just started nortriptyline and so far have not had migraine attack, I'm hoping this drug continues to work for me"

pain4years (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "My headaches were non stop for about 3 years. The cause was my neck. I had already had neck surgery about 8 years before. So, I was told they said i was not a candidate for surgery anymore. So I tried cortizone shots, and some other shots and nothing. Then the doctor came up with nortriptyline 10 mg a dose of 2 pills a night. Well, by the third night I slept like a baby. Before, since my headaches were NON STOP, it meant I could not sleep at all! After a week, I had no headaches and I could finally sleep!"

Kd (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2019

For Depression: "Nortriptyline is a great medication and is one of the only meds that don't numb my emotions completely. In fact, I noticed I was more attuned to things like tv shows and books rather than feeling completely apathetic. You really should get your genes/SNPs tested before you take this to make sure you're a normal metabolizer; if not, it may not work for you at all (ultrarapid metabolizer) or you could have too many side effects (poor metabolizer). If you're doctor is worth his/her salt, he will also take a blood level of nortriptyline to determine you're within the therapeutic window for optimal effects. I highly recommend this medication as a first or second choice after SSRIs even though it didn't quite work out for me because it made a preexisting health condition worse. It's also very cheap."

dordeduh (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2019

For Pain: "Twice I was prescribed this medication as an alternative to real pain medication because Doctors are so badly in fear of the DEA because of the so called "opiate crisis" I have two crushed discs in my back. I received this medication years apart and both times within the first month I noticed sexual dysfunction which grew worse. I quit the medication the first time and gradually things returned to normal. The second and most recent time I noticed a problem and quit the medication, but it was too late, things have never returned to normal. By sexual dysfunction I mean inability to achieve and maintain an erection, and shrinkage in size of genitalia. I can't believe that this problem is not reported by other people, unless they are embarrassed to do so."

Chip (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "Gave me bad indigestion and nightmares !!!"

joshuab1984 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I commented when I first started taking the medicine for migraines. 25 mg at night, most side effects are gone and so are the migraines. If I get a headache it is mild and goes away quickly with a coffee and a couple of ibuprofen. My heart rate is still a bit higher than before but not too bad. I feel more confident, I can go on business trips and not worry about migraines. I’ve even had a beer and a glass of wine without problems. Try it if you’re getting lots of headaches, minor side effects are worth it. My doctor says that most people do very well on it."

Larousse (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

For Depression: "I've been on Nortriptyline (10 mg) for over 10 years and had experienced relief from my depression. I'm now asking myself if it's time to increase my dosage or perhaps try some other med.(Trintellix?) Feeling some symptoms like anxiety, some loss of appetite, and just really not "happy." Anyone else experiencing this after being on it for this long?"

KLM (taken for 10 years or more) January 1, 2019

For Pain: "I was unable to sleep due to knee pain. I was given nortriptyline to help sleep and it was really good at helping me sleep all through the night!"

Tallulah (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2018

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "IF YOU’RE PRESCRIBED THIS PLEASE BE CAREFUL! This medicine has caused me to have a seizure, an ER visit, no driving until I’ve been seen by a neurologist. I was only taking it for a week before a had my seizure."

Seizure (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Be careful with this medication if you have struggled with depression or have a family history of mental illness, depression, bipolar, etc.. I went on this for migraine prevention, not for depression and on my second day of taking it, started having really dark thoughts and hit a real low point. I have never been suicidal before and am actually usually the happiest I have ever been but this medication completely distorted my perception of things. Had to go off it a week later as the feelings only got worse."

Liv (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had crushing migraines since an auto accident in 2004. On average, between four and six debilitating episodes per month. I have tried dozens of treatment modalities and many different drugs. I recently saw a headache specialist. She mentioned Nortriptyline. I was skeptical but agreed to try it, starting at 30 mg (taken at night). I kept a journal and returned a month later. I had fewer episodes but I still had some very bad days. My doctor increased the dosage from 30 mg to 40 mg and finally to 50 mg. 40mg turned out to be the appropriate dosage for me. I still get headaches but they are far less frequent. I haven't had a crushing migraine for over two weeks. This is a first in over nine years! I am hopeful now and it has drastically improved my family life and work life. My doctor also recommended taking the medication before bedtime so I wouldn't experience daytime drowsiness. So far, I would say this is the best I've felt in years."

Mojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been on 25mg for 3 days, but feel dizzy, lethargic, overall not clear headed. I hope that these side effects will go away with time. I was prescribed Nortriptyline for chronic migraines that last 3-4 day every few weeks for the last 10 years or so. No sure I'll be able to live with the side effects if they don't go away over the next few weeks."

Larousse (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Its has helped me 95% for my migraines and my IBS"

Alysha October 20, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Headaches started after enduring head trauma from an auto accident and have progressed over the last few years. The headaches were a mixed bag of tension, temporal muscle spasm, pressurization and migraine. I was prescribed Valium 2 mg prn for the temporal muscle spasms which helped until the headaches worsened to 4-7 days/week, and Advil was not working (not a fan of taking pain meds). I scheduled in with a new Neurologist who prescribed Pamelor 10 mg HS and it has helped tremendously. Only a few breakthrough headaches have occurred, however, they seemed to possibly be triggered by lack of sleep or increased stress. Bottom line is: be aware of your triggers and manage the triggers in order to avoid headaches. The only side effect I have noticed is a little dry mouth, so I try to stay hydrated. Since it is a low dose, I have not experienced dizziness or sluggish feelings. It's so great to be able to have headache-free weeks!"

Shell (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "After 10 years of migraines, it took a village to get rid of them. I tried everything! The 11th neurologist was the charm. She got me off the Zomig which were giving me rebound headaches and started me on Nortriptyline, 50mg at night. No more migraines! Seriously! I haven’t had one in 4 years now."

Mandy September 16, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was having bad pain and discomfort in my abdominal area and testicle. This went on for 5 months. I saw several doctors and had an MRI, ultrasound, blood tests you name it I had it. Finally, after doing my own research I asked my doctor to put me on 10mg . After about 3 days I started to notice a difference and after a week about 95% of my pain was gone. This med worked wonders for me and saved my life! I went from only being able to eat plain chicken, potatoes and spinach to being able to eat anything I want. I have been on this med for about 2 months now. I do not have any side effects to speak of . Everyone is different and your results may vary. Give it a try but try and stay at 10mg if taking for pain."

9lives (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "25 years ago. I took Pamelor for post partum depression. It worked for the depression but had to stop taking because my stools became hard as rocks & were difficult to pass. I have had irritable bowel syndrome since as a result. I also gained about 40 pounds & no matter how much I diet or exercise, I cannot lose the weight."

Suzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

For Depression: "This medication absolutely killed my mood and motivation. It also triggered severe acid reflux. I have GERD and hadn't had this bad of a flare up in 10 years. I suffered through it for 10 days and took Zantac but when I was dry heaving by the end of every meal, and continuously had heartburn so painful I cried, I gave up. No more tricyclics for me."

Angel (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Pain: "I took nortriptline for 18 years not knowing I shouldn't have until Feb of this year. Since then my pain in the spin lumbar area as well as my neck have been more severe. I am also having the pins and needle sensations up the spine . I was given shots for pain in the neck at it seems to be working. Now my legs go flying or kinda freeze and go pigeon toed. I'm falling more and very unsteady on my feet and balance. I need to know if these are common side effects and more importantly how can I fix this"

help (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "my doctor had put me on topamax 100mg for 8 weeks and added nortiptyline 25mg for a week then upped it to 50mg. And it seemed to make the headaches worse. And on top of that, my mouth is always dry and everytime I look around I get dizzy and have to sit down. Plus my heart races and pounds and I hate this drug."

Bobbi (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018