User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Dysautonomia

1 review 53 medications
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 7.5 375 reviews

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "After 10 years of migraines, it took a village to get rid of them. I tried everything! The 11th neurologist was the charm. She got me off the Zomig which were giving me rebound headaches and started me on Nortriptyline, 50mg at night. No more migraines! Seriously! I haven’t had one in 4 years now."

Mandy September 16, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was having bad pain and discomfort in my abdominal area and testicle. This went on for 5 months. I saw several doctors and had an MRI, ultrasound, blood tests you name it I had it. Finally, after doing my own research I asked my doctor to put me on 10mg . After about 3 days I started to notice a difference and after a week about 95% of my pain was gone. This med worked wonders for me and saved my life! I went from only being able to eat plain chicken, potatoes and spinach to being able to eat anything I want. I have been on this med for about 2 months now. I do not have any side effects to speak of . Everyone is different and your results may vary. Give it a try but try and stay at 10mg if taking for pain."

9lives (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "25 years ago. I took Pamelor for post partum depression. It worked for the depression but had to stop taking because my stools became hard as rocks & were difficult to pass. I have had irritable bowel syndrome since as a result. I also gained about 40 pounds & no matter how much I diet or exercise, I cannot lose the weight."

Suzy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2018

For Depression: "This medication absolutely killed my mood and motivation. It also triggered severe acid reflux. I have GERD and hadn't had this bad of a flare up in 10 years. I suffered through it for 10 days and took Zantac but when I was dry heaving by the end of every meal, and continuously had heartburn so painful I cried, I gave up. No more tricyclics for me."

Angel (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Pain: "I took nortriptline for 18 years not knowing I shouldn't have until Feb of this year. Since then my pain in the spin lumbar area as well as my neck have been more severe. I am also having the pins and needle sensations up the spine . I was given shots for pain in the neck at it seems to be working. Now my legs go flying or kinda freeze and go pigeon toed. I'm falling more and very unsteady on my feet and balance. I need to know if these are common side effects and more importantly how can I fix this"

help (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "my doctor had put me on topamax 100mg for 8 weeks and added nortiptyline 25mg for a week then upped it to 50mg. And it seemed to make the headaches worse. And on top of that, my mouth is always dry and everytime I look around I get dizzy and have to sit down. Plus my heart races and pounds and I hate this drug."

Bobbi (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

For Pain: "I started on 10 mg to be taken at night for TMJ related pain. The doc bumped it up to 25mg over a month ago. I suppose I sleep better, and I don’t clench my jaw as much at night. But, having seen the entire list of side effects, I can’t be sure what this medication could be interacting with or if it is messing with my brain or other organs. I believe I will stop this pretty soon."

SGT Reg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Depression: "This medication saved my life. I originally tried amitriptyline.. I felt tired and still didn’t fully rid the black cloud over me. I tried this on the recommendation from a neurologist. Best decision I ever made. I am now the person I used to be before I became depressed... I am so thankful for this medication. 50 milligrams a night is my dose. Forever thankful I tried this medication:)"

T (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 6, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "After taking pamelor for one week I had to stop. I had horrible nightmares that stopped after I stopped that medicine. I still shake thinking about the nightmares"

Kay (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Pain: "I was taking oxycodone for a number of years. Then the Doc got me off that - I had been using it for rotator cuff problems. Then he put me on nortriptyline . It does a way better job on my rotator cuff. I can lay on my shoulder at night now with no pain now. With the oxy I could not do that on the account of the pain."

cyclone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2018

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have suffered with severe neuropathy in both feet for years. No medication "touched" the symptoms UNTIL my physician placed me on Nortriptyline. 25mg. At night. I have only been on med for 1 week and the difference in my feet has decreased substantially."

Josey (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking this for 10 days, not only it didn't helped but my daily headaches have been getting progressively worst each day after around day 4. I did not had many side effects other than feeling thirsty, but I'm stopping it because it just made the pain worst, I should have gotten any kind of pain relief by this point already."

Steam Hams (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "Pamelor takes solid 2 month to start working. The best medication ever. Less than 1 dollar for pack of 100 tablets of 25mg where I live."

lildude (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I started 25mg and first night, a couple of hours later I was so dizzy that I had to lay down. I was back to not sleeping because I was drenched in sweat. I know it is suppose to take time for the med to get into your system but I feel like I am going though menopause."

Lana May 25, 2018

For Pain: "Took it one time for post-concussion syndrome and to help me sleep. It kept me awake for 24 hours and made my chest hurt. I had to work all day without sleep. Come to find out the drug is not FDA approved for post-concussion syndrome. Will not be taking the drug again or return back to the doctor who prescribe it for me."

cris (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

For Depression: "After trying 10 to 12 other depression meds for the last 5 years my Doctor tried Nortriptyline. It’s probably the best I have felt. There’s more fine tuning but this med is a great start considering all the past failures."

Jay Durstock (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have headaches for around 15-16 months. I went different specialist and tried different medicines such as Norco, naproxen, Toradol, ketorolac, sumatriptan, among others. I can describe my pain from 1-10 as a 10. I was not able to go out, do things with my family, etc. The pain was extremely severe that my arm and fingers get numb. The last doctor prescribed me Nortripilyn a few months ago. We started with 10mg and went up to 50mg. I could say that the pills help me incredibly with my migraine, but the side effects are crazy. I have on a daily basis "flashes." All my faces get red like a tomato and I fill like I am going to exploit!!! So, I do know if I should stop taking it, but I am afraid to get "depression" or the headaches back."

Tortiz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took Nortriptyline for nerve pain caused by a degenerative disc between my L4 & L5, it really helped me through until surgery. I also found that it has a positive effect on my depression, so I keep taking it as it works, however, no effective help with my IBS at all."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2018

For Depression: "I Have taken Nortriptyline for over 20 years and had suffered no side effects. I suffered from depression and had several hospitalisations . I did begin to work again but after 6 yrs I moved from the Midwest to Calif to join my adult daughter. It was not an easy move. This medication allowed me to sleep thru the night and be able to concentrate at work. I am so glad that I was able to function more comfortably since that time."

none (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2018

For Pain: "Started on 20 mg increased to 40 mg a day for back pain . I felt odd after about 10 months and have slowly been weaned down to 20 mg. I'm so glad I was prescribed them. It took a while but now the pain in my back has gone from a 9 to a 4. And I have more movement now . Where as before the pills I was very immobile . I needed help dressing my lower half getting on and off the toilet and couch . Now I can walk up stairs!"

Gloria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I take nortripyline for pain caused by damage to my brain stem and cranial nerves from a near drowning when I was 3 y.o. I started taking this in 2009. For the first few years it was a wonder drug. I was taking 100 mg per day. Slowly, I began to have side effects. It was the stomach discomfort and constipation that was not letting me eat very much, that really got to me. In 2017, I stopped taking the drug. The side effect stopped immediately. Then 3 months later when the drug completely emptied out of my brain, the pain was beyond anything liveable. I started taking it again. I got the bad side effects right away. To make this story short, I did find the problem. It's grains. When I stopped eating grains completely, all side effect went away. Also, now 50 mg works for me as well as 100 used to. Maybe this drug reacted badly with "lectins". Anyway, I'm much better now."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2018

For Pain: "Put on nortriptyline for nerve pain, neurologist said it would help with sleep at least if nothing else. Boy was he wrong! I don’t tolerate meds well so started on 10mg for two weeks and 25mg for a week. It has done nothing but give me nightmares, keep me awake, and turn me into a depressed emotional mess. I’m so sleep deprived, my pupils go large and I feel like I’m on a permanent come down. I’m stopping taking it as I just can’t cope with these side effects. Feel like I’m going mad :( shame really as I was hoping it would help me sleep as it seems to make most people drowsy."

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on 10mg initially for migraine and insomnia. After two weeks my doc upped it to 25mg which I've been on for four weeks. I've had a number of side effects: blurry vision, dizziness, dry mouth, froggy voice, continuous migraine. After six weeks, I've started to taper off of nortriptyline and it isn't going well. I still have my migraine, but add in chills, anxiousness, burning/tinglings arms and fingers. It was definitely not worth starting this medication."

Heather0711 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Miracle drug. After I started exercising almost every day, I got a migraine that lasted four/five months. I had a migraine every day with dizziness, trouble speaking, reading, writing, thinking. I thought I was going on disability. I tried topamax, but it didn't make any difference. I started on nortript and on the third day I noticed an improvement. Three months later, I have zero symptoms. Now my current dosage of 20mg is making me drowsy. So I think I am going back to 10mg. I have stopped exercising completely. I wish I could go back to running and weight lifting."

Happy1234567 February 12, 2018

For Pain: "I had nerve damage caused from an infection in my tooth and it caused chronic pain in my trigeminal nerve. I had a root canal that just intensified the pain. I saw acupuncturists, ENT's, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, the list goes on and on. Finally I saw a neurologist that actually listened and prescribed me Nortriptyline (50mg) I take every night and my pain finally subsided the the point I have quality of life again. I did put on a few lbs (15) but I would gain another 100lb for this medication. It saved my life. I was a lost cause and so desperate to find relief. I am so happy again. I have slight breakthrough pain once in awhile but it pales in comparison to what I have been through. I thank my lucky stars for Nortriptyline!"

Dclenney (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...