User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 41 medications

3.2
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 3 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 267 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started taking it for depression, (150mg) but have had IBS with diarrhea and cramping pain starting about 10 years ago. Taking immodium/loperamide at least every other day kept it under control since then, but after going on nortriptyline I've noticed it's improved this to where I only need to take immodium like once a week now to be completely symptom free."

X (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

For Pain: "I am currently 16 y/o & have been taking nortriptyline for about 6 years to treat migraines. I have been getting migraines since I was 8 or 9 and it eventually got to the point where migraines were a daily thing for me. After seeing a neurologist & trying out 2 or 3 other perscriptions, my neurologist prescribed nortriptyline. It worked for a while then my dosage needed to be increased, however I still take it to this day, once before bed every single night. The only time I get a migraine now is if I'm sick, skip two or more doses, or encounter a trigger, such as prolonged sun exposure, dehydration, large caffeine amounts, etc."

16 July 26, 2016

For Depression: "I've suffered with depression for most of my life. I'd taken prozac for almost 20 years and decided to try something else because of the sexual side effects. That started a 5 year nightmare of drugs and severe side effects. So I quit taking pills and tried to go it alone. After a year without medication I lost contact with my friends and most of my family, no longer went out for enjoyment, stopped writing and generally just comforted myself with TV. I finally went back to my doctor a week ago and he put me on Nortriptyline 10mg. The first two days were a painful introduction of lethargy and dizzyspells. On the third day my world had changed. I'm talking to people, making plans, cleaning. After a week the sadness and death fantasy's are gone"

Pheonix 27 July 21, 2016

For Pain: "I took the first dose at night because my doc said it may cause sleepiness. I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible headache and insomnia. Decided to try a second night. This time, no headache but still insomnia. Last night I took my 10th dose and I am awake 2 hours after falling asleep then having a horrible, horrible nightmare about sexual situations, being part of murders, and my son being kidnapped by a killer clown. I know that sounds dumb, but it was extremely realistic and now I can't go back to sleep. I will call my doc in a few hours to discuss tapering off and quitting this med all together. My pain has not been relieved at all (even if it had, I could continue with the insomnia and graphic nightmares)."

Nightmares (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have a love/hate relationship with this drug. When I take it i am headache free but if i forget to take it just one time I have the worst headache imaginable the next day. Like a hangover headache with nausea and dizziness. It is worse than the headaches I had before I started taking the medication. I've also noticed my energy levels are way lower and I am super constipated everyday. Dr did advise me about the constipation but not the lack of interest in doing things. I am super slow and have literally no energy to do anything. So I am not sure if it is related. I want to try to get off medicine but dr advises against this. I am not sure what to do."

2drained2think July 8, 2016

For Pain: "I've been taking this pill among others for pain and migraines , I started with 25 mg, and it was upped to 50 because I was still in pain and having head aches, while this hasnt helped my pain, it has helped my migraines I havent had one since taking it, and I usually had one once a week, I still get head aches. Im not sure if this helps or if its my other medications. I feel like this stuff makes me dizzy when outside in the heat, I have a constant dry mouth, my sex drive in no longer alive, I cant remember things and get confused easy. But I sleep good and my head doesnt hurt... I'm still in constant pain. And it seems like I have the hunger of 3 teenagers. Im 27 and have DDD, I hope I can find something that works."

Onemileup (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2016

For Pain: "For over 20 years I have had chronic facial nerve pain from a surgery that was messed up. I also had 2 additional surgeries to 'correct' the problem but they were not successful. My only success with managing pain has been with morphine. Unfortunately it keeps me awake if taken close to bedtime. I was given Nortriptyline to try for sleep and pain relief (so as not to awaken in pain), but it was awful - the couple hours of interrupted sleep I had were with very bad nightmares. I stopped taking this medication as a result and will continue to look for a "real" sleeping pill that works & that I am not tolerant of. In the meantime I would rather not sleep!"

badmd's (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

For Depression: "I started on 60 MG of noritripteline at the age of 65 as a replacement for Cymbalta, which I could no longer afford. I found that when it was combined with 100 MG of sertaline (zoloft). This combination gave me the greatest relief from the chronic depression I have suffered from since the age of 15. But I was not aware of its anticholinergic effects on older people which manifested at age 67 when I began to experience problems walking, repeated falls, lethargy, mental confusion and memory problems. In addition to the noritripteline, I was also taking benadryl (over the counter) to aid with sleep at night, another anticholinergic drug. Both medications can be detrimental in older population groups and result in my symptoms."

Kirk1n (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 27, 2016

For Depression: "So far, so good. I've been on medication for anxiety & depression since Dec. 2000 & after a few years it seems that the medication stops working. Newly dx'd w/Epilepsy. Hence, the increase in anxiety & depression. I will admit that I was having a really bad day & out of desperation I took this (had it but never took it)--& it squashed the anxiety. (I know clinically better) Epilepsy & Estrogen don't mix well. I'm not thrilled w/another pill but so goes the old..."do you want to be right or happy?" I'll take the latter."

FranSean May 17, 2016

For Pain: "Took this for nerve pain and it helped! Except I would rather ache & have nerve pain than deal with the side effects I experienced. I kept getting nightmares that were so horrific, I eventually started sleeping with the lights on & thus not sleeping as good. Within 6 months I gained 20 lbs without changing my eating habits nor physical activity. Looking back, there was a short period of time when my vision was affected as I had trouble focusing. At the time, I just thought my contacts prescription was getting too strong for me. I decided to revisit the list of side effects and sure enough there they all were. I quit taking Nortriptyline that day and eventually the nightmares, blurred vision, & weight gain went away."

EricaCartman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started taking nortriptyline for chronic pain and noticed all my IBS with diarrhea symptoms were gone!! Bonus! It was so dibilatating and painful, I was miserable. Constant pain, bloating, cramping. This drug has saved my life! It also treated my chronic fatigue. For most people it makes them tired but for me it was the opposite. So very thankful. Three problems fixed with one medication! However, it has increased my heart rate and worsened my anxiety. And also squashed my sex drive. That sucks! But the benefits out weigh the negative."

Melsayles May 10, 2016

For Depression: "Day 1: Took my first dose of 25mg last night about 2200ish. I was still wide awake at 0100. This morning I awoke feeling angry and irritated....reading many of the comments here this seems to be an issue with this medication. I have had 2 failed back surgeries and am trying to avoid the fusion every Dr has said I need. The failed surgeries have made me extremely fearful. I have never ever in my life experienced anything so painful in my life. In 2000 a microdiskectomy and laminectomy led complications. A meningocele the size of a football on my lumbar region. Spinal fluid coming out my nose and ears. My head was going to explode. Now I am willing to try anything to avoid surgery. I'll try this for a few weeks... we will see"

Shari1435 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Pain: "I have a "band" of the "fuzzies" crossing top of head, down on each side of my head. "Tinglies" on left of my forehead. Given Nortrip. 25mg, take 2x per day. Really NO change. Have lived with these problems for almost 30 years. Maybe by making me drowsy, then I won't notice nerve pain so much? Whatever."

Jack Reed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Pain: "I just started on this drug 2 weeks now. My doctor prescribed it to me to help deal with my concussion headaches and to help me sleep. The pain-free aspect is quite lovely, however 2 weeks in, and I'm suuuuper groggy. It doesn't help me sleep, but I didn't have a problem with that - it was just the post-concussion headaches. My doctor's main goal seemed to just send me back to work. I'm glad I didn't have to drive into work today because I'm not sure I'd be up for morning rush hour traffic. She only prescribed one month's worth (10 mg pills) & I can't wait to be finished with it. I have noticed a large increase in "chubbiness" around my mid-section. I notice that some weight gain is one of the side effects as well."

Suze9771 April 21, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've struggled with migraines since I was a child and have manged mostly on Excedrin until age 30 when I first tried Imitrex. The combination helps me but the frequency of my migraines (2-3x) made me seek out a neurologist for preventative medication. I've been on Pamelor for only a week and stopped taking it last night because I couldn't take the side effects anymore: fast heart rate, major heartburn (a burning feeling that reaches up my chest, throat and head), nausea, constipation, blurred vision, anxiety, fatigue, ringing ears. In that week, I had only 1 migraine and had 5 headaches. For me, any potential mitigation of future migraines isn't worth dealing with these side effects. I'm miserable and it's interfering with work and life."

camior (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Dry mouth, constipation, foul taste in mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am 28 years old male and veterinary special student in the field of avian diseases at tehran university . I have been diagnosed as IBS(diarrhea dominant & abdominal pain) in 2008. IBS bothered me always and disturbed my private life until my gastroentrologist and psychiatrist prescribed drugs of nortriptyline 10 mg (at least remedible dosage of this drug) at once a day and before bedtime and dicyclomine 10 mg drug at twice to three times in day and at least twenty minutes before food meal and I felt a good and normal life after administration these drugs in during of 1 week. I believed this drug has positive and considerable effects on IBS treatment but no cure however this drug had some side effects and adverse like all other drugs"

Soheil-Vet Iran April 17, 2016

For Pain: "This medication has greatly improved my quality of life! I have chronic tension headaches, everyday and all day, unless I take 25 mg of my Pamelar. I take it every night (because it does make me sleepy) and If I forget my headaches start right back up around 3pm the next day. One downfall is that I seem to craves snacks much more since I've been on this drug. I'll take that side-effect over chronic headache."

momoftots April 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I titrated up over two months, 10 mg at a time until I reached 50 mg. The side effects for me were: bad dreams, increased appetite, tiredness, heartburn, decreased sex drive, and sadness. I began taking the medicine at 7 PM and that eliminated the bad dreams. However, the medicine made me feel depressed. I would feel sad and start crying for no reason. This was all in the first 2 months and then the side effects went away. I have been at 50 mg for almost 3 months now and I feel normal! While it was hard for me in the first few months, I stuck with it and sure enough the side effects went away. Unfortunately, I’ve been getting more migraines recently, and so I’m instructed to titrate up to 90 mg... So I'm not sure if it works yet"

mafzal89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Had stomach pain for years. When I ate, my stomach would hurt for hours. When it finally calmed down, it was time to eat again. Went to a gastroenterologist. Had a colonoscopy, endoscopy and biopsies. Everything looked all right. Was having awful pain one day and called my gastro doctor for an appt. He could not see me for weeks, but I was told his nurse could. I was hesitant, but did go in & see her the next day. She prescribed 10 mg. Pamelor at bedtime (name brand for nortriptyline). She said it was an antidepressant, but had been found to help many issues. After taking for 3 nights, I felt like a new person. When I went back for followup, I hugged my nurse and said, "You gave me back my life.""

gt85 April 2, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I developed chronic diarrhoea in 2014 that started suddenly and never went away. After extensive tests I was given the diagnosis of IBS. The stomach upsets were so frequent sometimes up to 6 times a day that it was affecting the quality of my life. I could barely make it to the toilet on bad days. I have been taking Allegron/nortriptyline 20mg for 4 nights now and for the first time in years symptom free! It can make me drowsy in evening and morning but I am willing to put up with side effects as feel so much better. Pain free. I have also started a FODMAP diet and in conjunction with the medication and have had quick results."

KKirby5 March 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "The first few months being on this drug, it did not work at all. Before taking the drug I would get approximately a headache every other day and a migraine once a week. This continued a couple months after starting the drug at 10 mg. Now, after being on it for 6 months, it is working wonders. I have only gotten 10 headaches in the past 90 days and 1 migraine."

Roni12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started this 4 days ago. So far so good!! No symptoms "

Annabwlle (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2016

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "Nortriplene isn't a very good medication for chronic headaches. My neurologist put me on 25mg 2 tabs at bedtime.it's suppose to make you sleeply,however it's quit the opposite, it keeps you awake and makes you very irritable.and you still have a headache,and causes weight gain. medication,especially"

Silvershadow (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2016

For Pain: "I was given nortriptyline by a pain doctor 7 years ago. It did help somewhat with the pain. However the side effects have been giving me problems ever since. I have problems concentrating but worse than that I daydream constantly. I can't shut it off. It lasts for hours. It is like it turned on a daydreaming switch in my brain and I can't shut it off. I went off of it expecting it to stop. It never has. It gets more unmanageable. I do not know what to do."

sunny51 February 24, 2016