User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Dysautonomia

1 review 53 medications
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 7.5 369 reviews

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Pain: "I started on 10 mg to be taken at night for TMJ related pain. The doc bumped it up to 25mg over a month ago. I suppose I sleep better, and I don’t clench my jaw as much at night. But, having seen the entire list of side effects, I can’t be sure what this medication could be interacting with or if it is messing with my brain or other organs. I believe I will stop this pretty soon."

SGT Reg (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

For Depression: "This medication saved my life. I originally tried amitriptyline.. I felt tired and still didn’t fully rid the black cloud over me. I tried this on the recommendation from a neurologist. Best decision I ever made. I am now the person I used to be before I became depressed... I am so thankful for this medication. 50 milligrams a night is my dose. Forever thankful I tried this medication:)"

T (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 6, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "After taking pamelor for one week I had to stop. I had horrible nightmares that stopped after I stopped that medicine. I still shake thinking about the nightmares"

Kay (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Pain: "I was taking oxycodone for a number of years. Then the Doc got me off that - I had been using it for rotator cuff problems. Then he put me on nortriptyline . It does a way better job on my rotator cuff. I can lay on my shoulder at night now with no pain now. With the oxy I could not do that on the account of the pain."

cyclone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2018

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I have suffered with severe neuropathy in both feet for years. No medication "touched" the symptoms UNTIL my physician placed me on Nortriptyline. 25mg. At night. I have only been on med for 1 week and the difference in my feet has decreased substantially."

Josey (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking this for 10 days, not only it didn't helped but my daily headaches have been getting progressively worst each day after around day 4. I did not had many side effects other than feeling thirsty, but I'm stopping it because it just made the pain worst, I should have gotten any kind of pain relief by this point already."

Steam Hams (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline) for Depression: "Pamelor takes solid 2 month to start working. The best medication ever. Less than 1 dollar for pack of 100 tablets of 25mg where I live."

lildude (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I started 25mg and first night, a couple of hours later I was so dizzy that I had to lay down. I was back to not sleeping because I was drenched in sweat. I know it is suppose to take time for the med to get into your system but I feel like I am going though menopause."

Lana May 25, 2018

For Pain: "Took it one time for post-concussion syndrome and to help me sleep. It kept me awake for 24 hours and made my chest hurt. I had to work all day without sleep. Come to find out the drug is not FDA approved for post-concussion syndrome. Will not be taking the drug again or return back to the doctor who prescribe it for me."

cris (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

For Depression: "After trying 10 to 12 other depression meds for the last 5 years my Doctor tried Nortriptyline. It’s probably the best I have felt. There’s more fine tuning but this med is a great start considering all the past failures."

Jay Durstock (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have headaches for around 15-16 months. I went different specialist and tried different medicines such as Norco, naproxen, Toradol, ketorolac, sumatriptan, among others. I can describe my pain from 1-10 as a 10. I was not able to go out, do things with my family, etc. The pain was extremely severe that my arm and fingers get numb. The last doctor prescribed me Nortripilyn a few months ago. We started with 10mg and went up to 50mg. I could say that the pills help me incredibly with my migraine, but the side effects are crazy. I have on a daily basis "flashes." All my faces get red like a tomato and I fill like I am going to exploit!!! So, I do know if I should stop taking it, but I am afraid to get "depression" or the headaches back."

Tortiz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took Nortriptyline for nerve pain caused by a degenerative disc between my L4 & L5, it really helped me through until surgery. I also found that it has a positive effect on my depression, so I keep taking it as it works, however, no effective help with my IBS at all."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2018

For Depression: "I Have taken Nortriptyline for over 20 years and had suffered no side effects. I suffered from depression and had several hospitalisations . I did begin to work again but after 6 yrs I moved from the Midwest to Calif to join my adult daughter. It was not an easy move. This medication allowed me to sleep thru the night and be able to concentrate at work. I am so glad that I was able to function more comfortably since that time."

none (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2018

For Pain: "Started on 20 mg increased to 40 mg a day for back pain . I felt odd after about 10 months and have slowly been weaned down to 20 mg. I'm so glad I was prescribed them. It took a while but now the pain in my back has gone from a 9 to a 4. And I have more movement now . Where as before the pills I was very immobile . I needed help dressing my lower half getting on and off the toilet and couch . Now I can walk up stairs!"

Gloria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I take nortripyline for pain caused by damage to my brain stem and cranial nerves from a near drowning when I was 3 y.o. I started taking this in 2009. For the first few years it was a wonder drug. I was taking 100 mg per day. Slowly, I began to have side effects. It was the stomach discomfort and constipation that was not letting me eat very much, that really got to me. In 2017, I stopped taking the drug. The side effect stopped immediately. Then 3 months later when the drug completely emptied out of my brain, the pain was beyond anything liveable. I started taking it again. I got the bad side effects right away. To make this story short, I did find the problem. It's grains. When I stopped eating grains completely, all side effect went away. Also, now 50 mg works for me as well as 100 used to. Maybe this drug reacted badly with "lectins". Anyway, I'm much better now."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2018

For Pain: "Put on nortriptyline for nerve pain, neurologist said it would help with sleep at least if nothing else. Boy was he wrong! I don’t tolerate meds well so started on 10mg for two weeks and 25mg for a week. It has done nothing but give me nightmares, keep me awake, and turn me into a depressed emotional mess. I’m so sleep deprived, my pupils go large and I feel like I’m on a permanent come down. I’m stopping taking it as I just can’t cope with these side effects. Feel like I’m going mad :( shame really as I was hoping it would help me sleep as it seems to make most people drowsy."

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on 10mg initially for migraine and insomnia. After two weeks my doc upped it to 25mg which I've been on for four weeks. I've had a number of side effects: blurry vision, dizziness, dry mouth, froggy voice, continuous migraine. After six weeks, I've started to taper off of nortriptyline and it isn't going well. I still have my migraine, but add in chills, anxiousness, burning/tinglings arms and fingers. It was definitely not worth starting this medication."

Heather0711 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Miracle drug. After I started exercising almost every day, I got a migraine that lasted four/five months. I had a migraine every day with dizziness, trouble speaking, reading, writing, thinking. I thought I was going on disability. I tried topamax, but it didn't make any difference. I started on nortript and on the third day I noticed an improvement. Three months later, I have zero symptoms. Now my current dosage of 20mg is making me drowsy. So I think I am going back to 10mg. I have stopped exercising completely. I wish I could go back to running and weight lifting."

Happy1234567 February 12, 2018

For Pain: "I had nerve damage caused from an infection in my tooth and it caused chronic pain in my trigeminal nerve. I had a root canal that just intensified the pain. I saw acupuncturists, ENT's, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, the list goes on and on. Finally I saw a neurologist that actually listened and prescribed me Nortriptyline (50mg) I take every night and my pain finally subsided the the point I have quality of life again. I did put on a few lbs (15) but I would gain another 100lb for this medication. It saved my life. I was a lost cause and so desperate to find relief. I am so happy again. I have slight breakthrough pain once in awhile but it pales in comparison to what I have been through. I thank my lucky stars for Nortriptyline!"

Dclenney (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2018

For Neuralgia: "It dulled my pain but caused erectile dysfunction and constipation. I'm not taking it anymore."

pongman (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had daily headaches for around 4 years. The headaches are never severe but always pop up at the right front of my head on a daily basis and are more annoying than anything else. On a scale of 1-10 for pain I would rate them a 3-4. My doctor started me on 10mg Nortriptyline once at night before bed. I noticed a rapid improvement with my headaches immediately. I took the pills for around 6 months and have now stopped taking them completely. I would have stopped around 2 weeks ago and my headaches have not yet returned. I have 3 months supply of the tablets still but so far haven't needed to start them again."

92ross (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2018

For Pain: "At about week 3 on 25mg pill. My anxiety is good. My sciatica pain is gone. I just stopped taking it as I started having extreme nightmares and no sleep. I never enter deep sleep. Just a state of dreaming and nightmares. The sense I am fighting and even using a knife to defend myself. The sense I am moving sideways while asleep like a dream but I'm half awake trapped in sleep until I go thru so much "dream anxiety" that I wake up. I stopped taking it as I have not been able to sleep for 2 days. I'm not taking it anymore. It's too bad because it did seem to be helping pain and depression."

Lrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2018

For Pain: "I had been suffering from a heavy head feeling and ringing in my ears for 18 months. My Dr was treating it as psychological for the whole time until I insisted on getting an MRI and seeing a ENT specialist. The specialist said I had myofacial pain disorder and put me on 25mg of nortriptyline. Woke up the next day and the heavy head feeling had gone completely. The ringing in my ear still comes and goes but symptoms have decreased. This drug has changed my life and am grateful for this medicine. I have been on 25mg for 8 months now with no side effects."

Bruce Warne January 18, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have vestibular migraines and this dug has been amazing for it. I've suffered from vestibular issues for over 10 years before it being nailed down as migraine and was started on nortripyline. After years of these vestibular attacks, lasting several days and occurring several times a month, I'm now down to maybe an attack or two every few months and a few during times of high stress. Side effects are minimal. Dry mouth. Was told it would help me sleep, kinda doesn't, but so worth it for the incredibly mild side effects and the huge quality of life increase."

Rsb1234 January 17, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking 10mg for headaches a month ago now, and while I’m grateful for my lack of side effects, I couldn’t really see the benefit from these pills either... I might have noticed a slight drop in the frequency of my headaches but for the little help they gave, it’s just not worth it to have to take pills every single night. Maybe my dose wasn’t high enough?"

Char0399 January 9, 2018