User Reviews for Nortriptyline

7.6

4 reviews
Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 7.5 361 reviews

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Depression: "I Have taken Nortriptyline for over 20 years and had suffered no side effects. I suffered from depression and had several hospitalisations . I did begin to work again but after 6 yrs I moved from the Midwest to Calif to join my adult daughter. It was not an easy move. This medication allowed me to sleep thru the night and be able to concentrate at work. I am so glad that I was able to function more comfortably since that time."

none (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2018

For Pain: "Started on 20 mg increased to 40 mg a day for back pain . I felt odd after about 10 months and have slowly been weaned down to 20 mg. I'm so glad I was prescribed them. It took a while but now the pain in my back has gone from a 9 to a 4. And I have more movement now . Where as before the pills I was very immobile . I needed help dressing my lower half getting on and off the toilet and couch . Now I can walk up stairs!"

Gloria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I take nortripyline for pain caused by damage to my brain stem and cranial nerves from a near drowning when I was 3 y.o. I started taking this in 2009. For the first few years it was a wonder drug. I was taking 100 mg per day. Slowly, I began to have side effects. It was the stomach discomfort and constipation that was not letting me eat very much, that really got to me. In 2017, I stopped taking the drug. The side effect stopped immediately. Then 3 months later when the drug completely emptied out of my brain, the pain was beyond anything liveable. I started taking it again. I got the bad side effects right away. To make this story short, I did find the problem. It's grains. When I stopped eating grains completely, all side effect went away. Also, now 50 mg works for me as well as 100 used to. Maybe this drug reacted badly with "lectins". Anyway, I'm much better now."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 20, 2018

For Pain: "Put on nortriptyline for nerve pain, neurologist said it would help with sleep at least if nothing else. Boy was he wrong! I don’t tolerate meds well so started on 10mg for two weeks and 25mg for a week. It has done nothing but give me nightmares, keep me awake, and turn me into a depressed emotional mess. I’m so sleep deprived, my pupils go large and I feel like I’m on a permanent come down. I’m stopping taking it as I just can’t cope with these side effects. Feel like I’m going mad :( shame really as I was hoping it would help me sleep as it seems to make most people drowsy."

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on 10mg initially for migraine and insomnia. After two weeks my doc upped it to 25mg which I've been on for four weeks. I've had a number of side effects: blurry vision, dizziness, dry mouth, froggy voice, continuous migraine. After six weeks, I've started to taper off of nortriptyline and it isn't going well. I still have my migraine, but add in chills, anxiousness, burning/tinglings arms and fingers. It was definitely not worth starting this medication."

Heather0711 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Miracle drug. After I started exercising almost every day, I got a migraine that lasted four/five months. I had a migraine every day with dizziness, trouble speaking, reading, writing, thinking. I thought I was going on disability. I tried topamax, but it didn't make any difference. I started on nortript and on the third day I noticed an improvement. Three months later, I have zero symptoms. Now my current dosage of 20mg is making me drowsy. So I think I am going back to 10mg. I have stopped exercising completely. I wish I could go back to running and weight lifting."

Happy1234567 February 12, 2018

For Pain: "I had nerve damage caused from an infection in my tooth and it caused chronic pain in my trigeminal nerve. I had a root canal that just intensified the pain. I saw acupuncturists, ENT's, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, the list goes on and on. Finally I saw a neurologist that actually listened and prescribed me Nortriptyline (50mg) I take every night and my pain finally subsided the the point I have quality of life again. I did put on a few lbs (15) but I would gain another 100lb for this medication. It saved my life. I was a lost cause and so desperate to find relief. I am so happy again. I have slight breakthrough pain once in awhile but it pales in comparison to what I have been through. I thank my lucky stars for Nortriptyline!"

Dclenney (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2018

For Neuralgia: "It dulled my pain but caused erectile dysfunction and constipation. I'm not taking it anymore."

pongman (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 1, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had daily headaches for around 4 years. The headaches are never severe but always pop up at the right front of my head on a daily basis and are more annoying than anything else. On a scale of 1-10 for pain I would rate them a 3-4. My doctor started me on 10mg Nortriptyline once at night before bed. I noticed a rapid improvement with my headaches immediately. I took the pills for around 6 months and have now stopped taking them completely. I would have stopped around 2 weeks ago and my headaches have not yet returned. I have 3 months supply of the tablets still but so far haven't needed to start them again."

92ross (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2018

For Pain: "At about week 3 on 25mg pill. My anxiety is good. My sciatica pain is gone. I just stopped taking it as I started having extreme nightmares and no sleep. I never enter deep sleep. Just a state of dreaming and nightmares. The sense I am fighting and even using a knife to defend myself. The sense I am moving sideways while asleep like a dream but I'm half awake trapped in sleep until I go thru so much "dream anxiety" that I wake up. I stopped taking it as I have not been able to sleep for 2 days. I'm not taking it anymore. It's too bad because it did seem to be helping pain and depression."

Lrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2018

For Pain: "I had been suffering from a heavy head feeling and ringing in my ears for 18 months. My Dr was treating it as psychological for the whole time until I insisted on getting an MRI and seeing a ENT specialist. The specialist said I had myofacial pain disorder and put me on 25mg of nortriptyline. Woke up the next day and the heavy head feeling had gone completely. The ringing in my ear still comes and goes but symptoms have decreased. This drug has changed my life and am grateful for this medicine. I have been on 25mg for 8 months now with no side effects."

Bruce Warne January 18, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I have vestibular migraines and this dug has been amazing for it. I've suffered from vestibular issues for over 10 years before it being nailed down as migraine and was started on nortripyline. After years of these vestibular attacks, lasting several days and occurring several times a month, I'm now down to maybe an attack or two every few months and a few during times of high stress. Side effects are minimal. Dry mouth. Was told it would help me sleep, kinda doesn't, but so worth it for the incredibly mild side effects and the huge quality of life increase."

Rsb1234 January 17, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking 10mg for headaches a month ago now, and while I’m grateful for my lack of side effects, I couldn’t really see the benefit from these pills either... I might have noticed a slight drop in the frequency of my headaches but for the little help they gave, it’s just not worth it to have to take pills every single night. Maybe my dose wasn’t high enough?"

Char0399 January 9, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I was put on this medication for my anxiety and sleeping issues. This medication literally did nothing and they had me on 130 mg. It caused me to have very vivid dream and night sweats. I was on it for 3 years. I just stopped taking it and lost 25 pounds. I'm still losing weight. So who knows how much weight this medication actually made me gain."

MissWillow December 30, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I HAD UNRELENTING DIARRHEA AND COULD NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE WITHOUT TAKING IMMODIUM. My doctor prescribed nortriptyline. I filled the prescription but did not take it because well I almost thought it was foolish. I was not depressed... But then I thought what the heck. I started the 10 mg every night. In 3 days the only side affect was no more running to the bathroom. OMG for me it is a miracle. I do have vivid dreams but that is ok and Also sleep well and feel great when I wake up."

Mousse (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2017

For Pain: "I've been taking this at a dose of about 50mg at night. I was in a car accident and have had pretty bad cramping spasm and sciatic pains. This has not helped the pain at all and has caused me to be unable to get an erection. If I wasn't on workman comp and directed by my lawyer to keep up with medication in case of a drug test I would not be taking them at all"

Troye December 14, 2017

For Dysautonomia: "Rx for dysautonomia and possible neuropathic pain. Immediate reaction was an extreme dry mouth. So bad that talking my lips stuck to my teeth. Then the urinary pain and pressure. I thought I had a UTI so I went to Dr. UTI test normal as we were discussing possible kidney stones he read I just started this drug. Told me to stop and come back if no change. 2 days later those symptoms cleared."

Oneofeach (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I’ve been getting migraines since I was a teenager. I’ve always used Imitrex (sumatriptan) which worked really well, but the side effects kept worsening throughout the years. So much so that it got to the point where the clothes that touched my skin hurt. Not normal, but better than a migraine, right? That was my thought. I told my doctor and she immediately had me switch over to nortriptyline 10mg before bed. I have sleep issues and PTSD as well and starting this medication helped me with all of it. I’ve had two migraines since starting a month ago. This is a huge improvement over the 8+ migraines I would normally have. The only downside is that it can back you up a bit. Easy fix with a little Miralax. Overall, I would highly recommend!"

MrsMCS November 23, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "Works pretty well for my migraines related to various triggers (e.g., food allergies, strong scents, etc.). Side effects are present at times but not overwhelming including stiff muscles, dry mouth, nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was first put on this med because I suffer with migraines and the doctor wanted to see if it would help with them. Far as my IBS goes I was put on Dicyclomine which wasn't helping me at all. After being on Nortriptyline for my migraines I stared taking noticed that it was helping me with my IBS. I wasn't having the sharp pains anymore and didn't have to worry about staying near a bathroom. Seeing that Nortriptyline wasn't helping me with my migraines the doctor took me off of the meds. I've been off of it for a month and since then my IBS has been in full effect. So my family doctor put me back on them which I will start tonight. Can't wait for it to get back into my system so it will get it back straight"

Mizz Greeneyez October 28, 2017

For Pain: "I'm 37 started 10 mg of it last night. I have five herniated discs, had some head trauma, I have chronic nerve damage, pinched nerves horrible migraines dark spots in my brain. Last night I slept like a baby for the first time in forever. I was given this medication by my Neurologist a few weeks ago and have been extremely hesitant to take it. I feel a little different like I have more focus. Hopefully this will continue to help me with my healing. I still have pain though but only took this once so probably haven't been on it long enough to notice a huge difference. This morning I feel more focused "

Sara Beth October 14, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I went to my Dr. with severe eye pain and headache. I thought it due to having the wrong reading glasses. I was very surprised with his diagnosis of migraine. I had been living with this for several years, but had gotten much worse in the pst two years. Pamilor took a few days to start working. About a week later it occurred to me that the pain was gone! My migraines are very rare and mild when they do happen. I do experience dry mouth, but it's starting to subside now. Keep some hard candy on hand!"

Rocky515 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

For Depression: "I was originally prescribed this drug for insomnia. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years. Therapy had been helpful but there was a marked improvement in both conditions after I began this drug. Primarily, I am more able to let things go when I am distressed instead of compulsively fixating on them. My quality of life is so much better now. I initially had some light-headedness. This side effect went away within a few months. I have a bit of dry mouth and I believe I suffered some hair loss. I was most troubled by the hair loss because I am pretty vain. But I decided my mental health was more important to my happiness than my appearance. It appears to be regrowing after around 6-12 months."

mrsbkwrm (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since I was 15 and am now 28. I used to take imitrex and that worked pretty well for a few years. Once it stopped working I found Treximet which is amazing, but unfortunately when I switched insurances they did not cover the formulary medications. So I was using Naratriptan at onset semi-successfully for about 2 years (sometimes only worked for a few hours then it would come back). About 6 months ago I started waking up with migraines every single day for weeks at a time w/ no relief from naratriptan so my doctor started me on nortriptyline. I take 30 mg before bed and haven't had a migraine in months!! A miracle. Only side effect I've noticed is increased nighttime bathroom trips. So worth it though!"

Ariel11413 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

For Pain: "This medication is not worth long term risks. I was given it for sleeping disorder and chronic regional pain syndrome (CRPS). When taken to assist me in not being able to sleep - it did nothing to help me at all or help with my CRPS. In fact it was the exact opposite it had absolutely zero affect on CRPS and had increased pain and I was completely unable to sleep at all when taken as prescribed at bedtime."

Dodgegirl33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017