User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Postherpetic Neuralgia 1 reviews 39 medications

3.2
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 3 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Nortriptyline reviews 330 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nortriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "Nortriptyline did not work for me. The first month I took it I gained 15 lbs, the second month I gained 10 lbs, the third month I gained 5 lbs., total of 30 lbs in 3 months and cholesterol way above heart attack level. I stopped taking it because I still had migraines and because of the rapid weight gain. I have never gained more than 5lbs. I was 120-125 most of my life. I gained 5 lbs after having 4 kids. I gained 20lbs each time I was pregnant and lost it quickly. I still have these 30 lbs that I can't lose from this damn nortriptyline. I've been walking 3-4 miles every day for a month now and eat organic when I can. I lost 7lbs. It's taking forever. I don't recommend nortriptyline to anyone. Try something else!!"

SoRo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 18 and I've been getting migraines since 5. I'm on 50 mg daily. I started nortriptyline in the beginning of summer because I was get them 2-3 times a week and very severely. I have been off medication all winter and since heat and activity is a big trigger I had to get back on medication. I had been very groggy in the mornings and caffeine wouldn't help I had insomnia and when I did sleep I had nightmares. Those side affects slowly went away with time except the nightmares they still come every once in awhile. I have heart palpitations and my heart rate is usually 130-120. I have also gained a lot of weight, I gained over 10 pounds in a month. I haven't had a migraine in a couple months only headaches which aren't that bad"

Ashleigh D (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "One of the first reviews I've written regarding a treatment. My IBS-D got to a point where I was visiting the bathroom about 5-6 times a day. When I wasn't in the bathroom the uneasiness associated with IBS stopped me from focusing on anything I tried to do. All I wanted to do was stay in bed and distract myself with movies and TV shows. I spent lots of time researching online and trying various treatments including elimination diets, supplements, various exercises etc.. My GP recommended I try Nortriptyline at nights starting at 10mg dosage and said that it'd take around a month to kick in. After about 3 weeks I switched to taking it in the morning and it's been working wonders every since. Pretty much IBS free and have my life back."

freedom12356789 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm only 19 years old and I'm taking nortriptyline to prevent my migraines . I get these bad migraines everyday and at times I feel like shaving my whole head off because I feel like it's my hair causing it but it's not . Well I've been on nortripyline for 6 months now I still get migraines but not as bad as I use too but I still get them everyday which sucks . But I hate it because I'm suppose to take it right before I go to sleep and when I do I can't sleep anymore like it wakes me up and then I'm up the whole night and I start crying at times because I just want my migraines to go away so I could live a happy normal teenage life . I'm on every day medication I take nortriplyine 10 mg and ibuprofen 600 mg It sucks I hope I get better soon"

Michelle G. July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I thought I'd share my experience as I was madly reading all the reviews on this website before starting this drug. I get it on the NHS in the UK and I take 20mg a day. Taking this drug and combining it with the plan in Dr David Buccholz' book Heal Your Headache has been the closest I've got to a total cure for my chronic severe migraines. There are almost no side effects. It's amazing. A word of caution. At one point when I tried increasing to higher doses above 20mg I had very bad mood swings for a few days. Even when I started from 0 to 10mg I had very bad mood swings for a few days but then it evens out and becomes unnoticeable."

superrsheep (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I started this medication last year at 10 mg for my migraines. They were so severe I couldn't function and they were almost daily for me. So my doctor prescribed me nortriptyline. It really helped almost immediately. However, about 1 month in I got super groggy and lethargic during the day for no reason. I decided that I would just stay on the medication anyway. I am so glad I did because this medication helps so much with my migraines. I am now on 20 mg and I only get a migraine once a month or less. I would highly recommend for people with chronic migraines."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neuralgia: "Is this drug helping anyone with fibromyalgia. "

Belinda67 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I found the taking nortriptyline was very helpful especially when your head is hurting beyond a 10 . When your in need of some super relief in minutes. "

3823Dinkdink June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Fell in to major depression at age 40. Tried 5 diff SSRI and no improvement . Then started pamelor . Wow the light went on. On 100mg for 25 yrs. Life saver. I'll put up with Constipation and dry mouth to stay happy."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This drug has been life changing for me and I've been on it for about 3 years now. As soon as I stop taking it my symptoms come back full force. My only complaint is that I did break out in hives when I first started taking it but this eventually stopped."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I've been taking 10mg nortriptyline now for 5 weeks for severe anxiety and depression. Very happy with results. Still have some depression but it kicked butt on the anxiety. I can function normally again. No side effects at all."

Nick G (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 33 have been taking 25mg for the past 4.5 years. I have been getting aura migraines since I was 13. They have always been unpredictable and could never pin down particular triggers. In my early 20s I took sandomigran for a couple years but found I gained too much weight and still got migraines. For the first 4 years -pretty much to the day, of taking nortriptyline I didn't have a single migraine, normal headaches lessened, my irritable bowel syndrome and endometriosis improved and then I got the dreaded aura and a terrible migraine. I have now had 3 migraines in the past 5 months and curious as to why it's not working as effectively as it used too. Side effects: no weight gain, I get a dry mouth all day, lowered libido, restless sleep."

Emma delemma (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking 30mg a night for 7 or 8 years now. It doesn't stop the migraines but it lessens the pain and makes them less frequent. One of the better medications I have tried. Others have either not worked or have had horrible side effects. I tried to go off of Nortriptyline twice now because I do feel it increases my appetite, but both times the headaches got worse. So for me Nortriptyline and Botox shots have been the most helpful."

PeachK May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "It took four months before I could titrate up from 50mg to 75mg. I'm on it for Dysautonomia, nuerolgia, fibromyalgia, depression. At that point I felt significant improvement from the depression and panic attacks. I weaned myself off at one point for fear that I was having a bad side effect. I had forgotten how much pain relief it provided until I was off of it. This is one of the most helpful medications I've ever taken! It helps with pain, dysautonomia and depression! I don't think it gives me bad side effects. I've had serious bad side effects from SSRI's so I was very nervous but had to try something. I'm also on Gabapentin which helps with sleep and pain but coupled with this drug I've done so much better."

Mom of Seven (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Negative: took the full dose of 125mg (Allegron) for 3+ months for depression. No effect whatsoever. Started to taper off about a month ago, went fully off about two weeks ago: very annoying withdrawal side-effects: night sweating, and now one of a sudden also stomach problems (minor but very annoying) and mysterious dizziness, uneasy feeling in the whole body, palpitation and overwhelming fatigue and numbness. Would not recommend at all."

AlexTS April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given this medicine to take daily to prevent migraines, and I don't know if it worked because it threw me into the WORST depression I've ever dealt with in my life. At the peak of this I had a panic attack so bad I was considering dropping out of college! Luckily I realized that the pill was making me feel this way and as SOON as I stopped it the depressive episodes and anxiety went away. I was on a small dose too. TERRIBLE. BE CAREFUL WITH IT IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY/PREDISPOSITION TO DEPRESSION/ANXIETY"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I'm 61 yrs old and have been taking Nortriptyline for about 30 years for depression. I believe I was depressed most of my life before being diagnosed. Initially, it took about 4 weeks before I started feeling the effects of the drug, but once it kicked in it made all the difference in the world. After many years, my doctor had me try some of the newer SSRI drugs (while still on Nortriptyline) and with each one I didn't feel at all like myself (like I was watching my life from outside myself), so with each attempt at trying a new drug, I kept going back to what worked best. Nortriptyline. I guess I'd consider myself a poster child for the drug, because it's always given me a level mood and I've never experienced deep depression while on it."

Debbs360 April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines since my daughter was born in 1967. I was prescribed Cafergot to take at start of headache. It worked well for each attack, but had a lot of side effects. I would get migraine episodes from once a week to 3 or 4 times a week. While employed, I would have to go to the ladies lounge and rest for the period it too to alleviate the pain. Then my blood pressure got out of control, thereby creating another problem. I was having a lot of nausea and vomiting also. After retiring at 50, a new doctor prescribed Amytriptilyne. Recently a new doc took me off it and migraine returned with a vengeance. I'm now taking Nortriptyline and it has worked wonders! No more migraine at all."

Wifeofgary April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Dose has been Titrated up by 10 mg every 2 weeks. Now at 75 mg a day. Pain of Chemo induced bi-lateral Peripheral Neuropathy is as bad as ever. When dose was increasing pain relief of a few hours was bliss. Now at maximum dose and side effects are as bad as the pain. Have to wait another month to see pain clinic. Dry mouth causing problems swallowing. This is last resort as almost every other drug treatment has been tried over 6 years."

Gobbledeegook (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Have suffered with back pain for 22 yrs. I'm 60 yrs old now. Started taking nortriptyline 4 days ago. While I know that's not very long I can say back pain is much better. Depression is much better. Overall feeling is much better. Sleeping better and longer. I have noticed some drowsiness but not a lot. I hope things continue in the direction I'm currently headed. Good luck!"

Mikey60 April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was prescribed this stuff for insomnia and the first and only night I took it I had a massive nervous breakdown. About two hours after taking it and still not able to sleep I began to feel slightly nervous and sad. I couldn't stop thinking about killing myself. I had to wake up my husband at 2 AM to help snap me out of it and I never did get to sleep that night. Needless to say I will never take this garbage again."

Zzzzoe March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I posted about 2 months ago when I first started taking Nortriptyline, 25mg, once a day. I had a continuous headache day in and out. After taking multiple drugs, Imitrex, Prodrin, Midrin, not much relief. After about 2 weeks on Nortriptyline my continuous headache had diminished, "almost" entirely. I did notice though many afternoons my headache return and I had to take other meds to help reduce the discomfort. I talked to my doctor and he agreed maybe 2x a day would be best. 25mg in the morning and again at night. That was about 3 weeks ago and now, very rarely do I have any headaches, at any time of day. I hope this continues. What a relief. To me, this has been a true wonder drug for my 24 hour headache! No side effects."

bwilla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "After being diagnosed with vestibular migraines about a year ago, I resisted taking any medications. The dizziness and feeling unwell caused depression as I was afraid to go anywhere and get a major dizzy spell that would make me also have symptoms of a stroke ( numb face and arm and difficulty speaking.) I started taking Nortrypraline and stopped after a few days as I was so tired and felt nauseated. My doctor told me to give it a go for a solid month and I'm so glad that I did. After about three weeks I started feeling so much better. Less episodes and when they came on, they were very mild. I'm only taking 10mg but plan to increase to 20 to see if even more benefits are seen once I get the ok from my doctor."

Thekmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "About 25 years ago I suffered from debilitating headaches that lasted for days on end with varying intensity, but never quite gone. Upon visiting a neurologist I was told I suffer from Cluster headaches and he prescribed Nortriptyline. I have been taking 50 mg daily at bedtime for the 25 years since. I very rarely suffer from any headache at all as long as I remember to take my pill at bedtime and yes, I do sleep great. Nortriptyine was a godsend for me!"

Prinnie February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "My VA. appointed Neurologist has migraines and swears by the use of Nortriptyline, so he prescribe two tablets (10mg) at bed time for headache prevention. Problem is my headaches are more severe than migraines and I have been on it for 1 month. I wake up everyday with severe headaches morning and noon."

TBI Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017