User Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Depression

Also known as: Pamelor, Aventyl Hydrochloride

Nortriptyline has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 54 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 56% of those users who reviewed Nortriptyline reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Nortriptyline

JHarrisford · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

“I have been on Welbutrin since 2014 and buspirone was added in 2019 for my depression/anxiety/OCD. I also have an autoimmune disease that causes severe neuropathy and migraines. I take other medications for that, but they have been insufficient. My neurologist prescribed this to help further treat my neuropathy and it DID work. I had no idea how bad my migraines were until nortriptyline reduced them almost down to nothing, unfortunately it made my depression much, much worse, and I also spent several days very, very angry. We tried both the 25mg and 10mg dose. After stopping the medication it took about 2-3 days to be back to my previous “normal”. I wish the negative effects hadn’t been so severe, because it worked great for pain.”

Yorkie Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2021

“I had been using Desipramine for depression since 1995 and it had worked very well for me. In 2020 it was changed to a Tier 4 drug so I decided to try something else that was less expensive. My doctor recommended Nortriptyline (Tier 3) and I began taking it four weeks ago. I am 72 years old and in the last four weeks I have developed a SEVERE case of adult cystic acne !!! Enough Nortriptyline for me.”

Drew · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2021

“I used this medication for a couple of months now and it seems to not be working anymore but when it did work it worked wonders!”

Flutter · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2020

“I had literally tried every SSRI and SNRI out there... 7 years of going through my nightmare of a life and nothing worked for my Treatment Resistant Depression. I was honestly considering ECT... I asked my psychiatrist if we could try a tricyclic in a last ditch effort... he put me on Nortriptyline a year ago. I'm now up to 100mg at bedtime, but this antidepressant has helped me more than anything had in 7 years, and no weight gain or bad side effects for me.”

Pheonix 27 July 21, 2016

“I've suffered with depression for most of my life. I'd taken prozac for almost 20 years and decided to try something else because of the sexual side effects. That started a 5 year nightmare of drugs and severe side effects. So I quit taking pills and tried to go it alone. After a year without medication I lost contact with my friends and most of my family, no longer went out for enjoyment, stopped writing and generally just comforted myself with TV. I finally went back to my doctor a week ago and he put me on Nortriptyline 10mg. The first two days were a painful introduction of lethargy and dizzyspells. On the third day my world had changed. I'm talking to people, making plans, cleaning. After a week the sadness and death fantasy's are gone”

TCA Enthusiast November 17, 2019

“This was super-effective for both severe treatment resistant depression, anxiety, chronic vestibular migraines, panic attacks and even helped a bit with social anxiety and OCD. Never had such remarkable effects from any other drug before, even with SSRIs/SNRIs(which made depression worse) and MAOIs. I started feeling better the very first day and within a few days I had old emotions back that I hadn't experienced in years. Unfortunately I developed a drug allergy to this drug, but it is not the drug's fault but my immune system. The drug still gets a 10/10, and I will be trying another TCA soon hoping it works just as well! Also don't worry about the anticholinergic effects of this medicine/other TCAs the anticholinergic side-effects of this medicine can actually be of benefit in treating your depression and should rather be called "effects" than "side-effects" and embraced and accepted as being potentially positive.”

Violet5401 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2020

Pamelor (nortriptyline): “I had been taking Trintellix for a couple years with success until eventually my anxiety/depression started to creep back. My doctor added 75 mg of nortriptyline every day and I swear I felt major relief in just 3 days. I have been on the Trintellix/Pamelor combo now for over a year. No side effects, and the Pamelor is cheap. As an added bonus, I have chronic hip pain due to bursitis and the pain has almost completely gone away. I am so thankful for this medicine, it has truly helped me.”

T · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 6, 2018

“This medication saved my life. I originally tried amitriptyline.. I felt tired and still didn’t fully rid the black cloud over me. I tried this on the recommendation from a neurologist. Best decision I ever made. I am now the person I used to be before I became depressed... I am so thankful for this medication. 50 milligrams a night is my dose. Forever thankful I tried this medication:)”

Debbs360 April 25, 2017

“I'm 61 yrs old and have been taking Nortriptyline for about 30 years for depression. I believe I was depressed most of my life before being diagnosed. Initially, it took about 4 weeks before I started feeling the effects of the drug, but once it kicked in it made all the difference in the world. After many years, my doctor had me try some of the newer SSRI drugs (while still on Nortriptyline) and with each one I didn't feel at all like myself (like I was watching my life from outside myself), so with each attempt at trying a new drug, I kept going back to what worked best. Nortriptyline. I guess I'd consider myself a poster child for the drug, because it's always given me a level mood and I've never experienced deep depression while on it.”

Vothene · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2019

“I was hospitalized for depression recently after many hospitalizations. I have tried almost all of SSRIs & the only one that slightly helped was Wellbutrin. It stopped working for me in the last year along with lithium. I was prescribed nortriptyline in hospital starting at 10 mg up to 100 mg. Shortly after the 100 mg I experienced a feeling of being on speed. The surge of rage taking over me and caused so many panic attacks. After a visit to ER it was reduced to 85 mg. After a couple of days on 85 mg of nortriptyline I felt like my old self again. In disbelief my lack of motivation was gone and I experienced “my old self”. So far it has been a week and I feel very good. I hope this lasts as I’ve been experiencing treatment resistant depression for 4 years now. Let’s hope this tricyclics antidepressant is the answer for me.”

krusinmom October 19, 2009

“My doctor switch me to nortriptyline for depression. I started out at 50mg a night for a month, then upped it 75mg a night. Since taking the 75mg, the depression has gone away. And I feel so much better. I've been on SSRI's for years and was always still depressed. The doctor told me I was allergic to SSRI's and put me on a tricyclic. Worked wonders.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 10, 2017

“Fell in to major depression at age 40. Tried 5 diff SSRI and no improvement . Then started pamelor . Wow the light went on. On 100mg for 25 yrs. Life saver. I'll put up with Constipation and dry mouth to stay happy.”

Nick G · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2017

“I've been taking 10mg nortriptyline now for 5 weeks for severe anxiety and depression. Very happy with results. Still have some depression but it kicked butt on the anxiety. I can function normally again. No side effects at all.”

RLZ September 13, 2014

Pamelor (nortriptyline): “My neurologist prescribed Nortriptyline for Neuropathy. It did not help much for that condition.However, at the time I was suffering from severe depression due to having to place my husband in a nursing home. The medication did wonders for me and I have been a daily user since that time.”

PH · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 16, 2020

“I have been on nortriptyline for 2.5 years due to anxiety and it has significantly improved my quality of life. I do have dry mouth as a side effect but it is very worth it in comparison to the benefits that it brings. Prior to starting nortriptyline I experienced a number of secondary symptoms caused by my anxiety: insomnia, headaches, and loss of appetite. In addition to reducing my anxiety, I now sleep well every night, no longer have frequent headaches, and I have an appetite that allows me to keep my weight at a healthy spot (I was too thin before). These things seem to help my immune system too because I seem to be much better at fighting off/avoiding colds than before I was on this medication. So in summary: This medication helped address my anxiety and a bunch of secondary symptoms that I hadn’t realized were anxiety related. On this medication I feel happier and healthier than ever before.”

Nedrub · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 30, 2020

Pamelor (nortriptyline): “I was 13 years when I started taking pamelor. My doctor and mother decided to put me on this medicine. I had a very bad experience with these pills. Whenever I had an episode They would up the dose, I started at 1-25mg tablet Every morning, within the year I was taking 5-25mg Tablet a day. Because of this I missed out on a lot of things. I was wondering around so much that I was getting lost, didn't know who I was, or where I was going, where I was supposed to be. I was just blah. Stuck in my thoughts and I hated every minute of it. But it was not my choice. I have nerve problem to this day, sometimes I get to shaking so bad that I drop anything in my hands, it's very hard to eat soup or drink coffee when I spill it all over myself. When I turned 18 it then was my choice, and I stopped taking them all together. A lot of my childhood was missed because of the pills, but on the flip side of it I didn't get beat for having an episode as much as I did when I wasn't taking them.”

Helped me August 31, 2015

“I was the person who had all kind of problems and non of them could be linked together. So I seen many doctors and I tried many drugs. I had major depression which all the usual depressants made worse. Debilitating migraines. Moderate to severe muscle and joint pain. Severe insomnia and panic attacks. I was on many medications and in high doses. Didn't help. It was very frustrating cause no one believed what I experienced was real. Till a friend on college said maybe it's just in your head and encouraged me to see the counsellor who in turn sent me to.the shrink. And he took me off.everything I was on and put me on nortriptyline with in 3 weeks. I did a 180. Except for the panic attacks which I started taking lorazapam. I'm doing great.”

ThomasF February 19, 2017

“I suffered depression and anxiety at a young age due to a stuttering problem but I never knew at that time what caused it. I went to a Dr. at the age of 22 and he put me on Pamelor. I was afraid to take it but I did. The first few days it made me feel weird. I felt like a zombie at first for maybe 3 days but then it went away. In 6 weeks my depression was gone and I felt like a normal person. I was normal. I think my does at one point was 100 which is moderate. People need to know that this type of med takes 6-8 weeks to work and when it does its like a fog has lifted, for me at least. You have to be careful with weight gain because it does increase your appetite. It helped me sleep at night. 6-8 weeks to work.”

Anonymous March 25, 2011

“After some serious life events I became depressed - while I didn't truly realize it - my house became overly cluttered, work went from great to average, got behind on things... after attempts at Lexapro, we figured out that I was having a reaction to the Lexapro - We started on nortriptyline. The first winter I worked up to 75mg/day - then went off for a few months during the summer - this year I've worked from 25mg then to 50mg/day. It's amazing how much better I'm performing. I do have issues with the drowsiness but I try to work through that. Work is now improving after about 14 months of treatment and the home is slowly getting better.”

Anonymous March 28, 2012

“I suffer from depression, back pain and anxiety that has been gradually getting worse. I started taking nortriptyline and noticed a number of changes within 24 hours. I finally slept through the night. My back pain dramatically improved and my anxiety lessened. Sounds amazing right? Well yes, but I was also crying all the time and felt even more depressed. I also began having bad thoughts about hurting myself. I have had bad thoughts in the past, but always had control of them. These felt very different, I had no control of them. For some people this medicine is a miracle, but if you start to have thoughts that don%u2019t feel right when you start taking this medication, go to your doctor immediately.”

M.A.R · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 22, 2012

“I have been taking this for 2 years now and have found it helpful in a few ways it has stopped my panic attacks for the most part, get a few here and there. My over thinking has stopped all together. The only thing I don't like about this medicine is that I have to be asleep in 30 mins after taking it or I will be up all night, for some reason it causes my brain to become very active after 30 mins. When I do go to sleep I have very vivid dreams seems almost realistic.”

mrsbkwrm · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2017

“I was originally prescribed this drug for insomnia. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years. Therapy had been helpful but there was a marked improvement in both conditions after I began this drug. Primarily, I am more able to let things go when I am distressed instead of compulsively fixating on them. My quality of life is so much better now. I initially had some light-headedness. This side effect went away within a few months. I have a bit of dry mouth and I believe I suffered some hair loss. I was most troubled by the hair loss because I am pretty vain. But I decided my mental health was more important to my happiness than my appearance. It appears to be regrowing after around 6-12 months.”

Cherry75 · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

Pamelor (nortriptyline): “I landed on the ER twice because of this medication Pamelor. I never felt so sick in my entire life. I thought I was dying. It took me more than a week to get it out of my system. I was agitated, my heart racing at 150 per hour. Horrible experience”

none · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2018

“I Have taken Nortriptyline for over 20 years and had suffered no side effects. I suffered from depression and had several hospitalisations . I did begin to work again but after 6 yrs I moved from the Midwest to Calif to join my adult daughter. It was not an easy move. This medication allowed me to sleep thru the night and be able to concentrate at work. I am so glad that I was able to function more comfortably since that time.”

KLM · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2019

“I've been on Nortriptyline (10 mg) for over 10 years and had experienced relief from my depression. I'm now asking myself if it's time to increase my dosage or perhaps try some other med.(Trintellix?) Feeling some symptoms like anxiety, some loss of appetite, and just really not "happy." Anyone else experiencing this after being on it for this long?”

Scadarick July 11, 2013

“I have multiple sclerosis, also scoliosis. Walking with a Cane for 20 years caused it, now I am in wheelchair permanently. I have had a very hard time sleeping, my brain just over thinks all the time, I am a retired I.T director, automation designer and engineer, so I guess it's just a problem with high IQ. Anyway my Neuro started me out on nortriptyline 25mg. I could tell, it was doing some good but still not sleeping. Taking Ambien just was not cutting it. Last week my doctor put me on 50 mg and for the first time in years I slept all night long. I was amazed! I normally eat dinner late, so I have to take it. Before I eat or it does not work.”

Suzy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 4, 2018

Pamelor (nortriptyline): “25 years ago. I took Pamelor for post partum depression. It worked for the depression but had to stop taking because my stools became hard as rocks & were difficult to pass. I have had irritable bowel syndrome since as a result. I also gained about 40 pounds & no matter how much I diet or exercise, I cannot lose the weight.”

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

Aventyl Hydrochloride (nortriptyline): “I've had Aventyl twice. Before, it was an effective antidepressant, and I was on it for years. Now, it helps me sleep; that's a new thing for me. I have not experienced any problematic side-effects. Getting to sleep through the night makes life so much better.”