User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've had "a" really bad headache for over 6 weeks now. On my right side. I say "a" because it is almost constant, day and night every day. Seldom have I had headaches my entire life. I'm now 60. After 4 visits to a doctor, (the first one prescribed antibiotics saying I had a sinus infection-no help what so ever, the second guy Midrin, same thing). I was prescribed nortriptyline at 25mg once a day by my last visit with a new doctor. It has been 3 days, so not much change, yet. I can put up with any/all the side effects mentioned, if I get relief. I will repost in a week or 2, when hopefully it has kicked in. Scheduled for a CAT scan in 2 days.....we'll see. Reading these posts has given me some hope."

bwilla January 2, 2017

"I have been on nortriptyline for 6 years with two breaks in the middle. I have had severe migraines since I was 13 and have tried several treatment options. The two times I stopped were because it was no longer effective in preventing migraines. During those times my doctor increased beta blockers for 6 months then went back to the regular dosage with nortriptyline. I take up to 100 mg a day but average 50mg. Sometimes I take for granted how well this medication has worked for me. The downsides are weight gain, restlessness and vivid dreams. If you suffer from migraines to the extent I have it is well worth the side effects."

CarolineHa January 1, 2017

"This medication has been very effective by almost eliminating my daily pain. When I do experience headache, jaw and neck pain, it's now usually milder than before and easily treated with a pain reliever. Additional benefits include helping me fall asleep easier and reducing the symptoms of a serious sleep disorder. The only negative side effect directly related to this med has been severe thirst requiring me to drink water and urinate very frequently. However this annoying and inconvenient side effect is well worth it. I'm also at high risk for angle closure, but am unsure if it's related. I lived with chronic pain from my mid 20s through my late 30s before starting this medication. I only wish I started taking it earlier in life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 31, 2016

"I woke up one day with a horrible migraine that never went away. Every day, all day. It was killing me. I haven't ever had a headache like this. Definitely never had one that lasted the entire day. So after four doctor visits, three blood test and six months of non-stop migraines, I was prescribed Nortriptyline. Only after two weeks I was waking up with out a headache. By the time I had got up to 40 milligrams, I was headache free. I'm so happy and relieved. The only side effects I am experiencing are dry mouth and trouble with sleepiness in the morning."

It helped! (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2016

"I suffered with migraines for years because doctors weren't able to diagnose them. They thought my headaches were related to sinus problems. I got headaches 4-5 times a week. Finally a neurologist prescribed 25mg nortriptyline daily. It took a few weeks to take effect but now I have been nearly headache free for four years. I do still occasionally get headaches every few months but they never last more than a few hours and generic Imitrex helps. I asked the doctor about going off the nortriptyline but she said if not's broken why fix it. So I am going to stay on this wonder drug. Best of luck to anyone suffering with headaches. It's a tough time."

MayaP (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 8, 2016

"I've had a terrible experience with migraines and tried multiple prevention medications. I have been hospitalized multiple times as well for DHE, and now have the injections at home. My first prevention med for migraines was nortriptyline and it made me feel even worse, I do not recommend. I had terrible side effects from it lasting over a week after I had stopped the medication. I've been on topamax for months for 7 months now and it helped at first but my headaches have gotten so bad I'm decreasing it. But I recommend over nortriptyline. I've now started gabapentin and this has actually helped with my pain component. Beta-blockers can also be a good preventative, I'm on nadolol as well."

margarite.d December 7, 2016

"I'm taking Pamelor (that's the generic name) primarily for migraine prevention but it also helps my depression. It's been about three months since I started this and my migraines have reduced a lot. I rarely get them now. I'm also feeling much better since my depression. The only side effect I have is sleepiness in the mornings. Other than that it's a charm."

Miss A. C. November 20, 2016

"So far started treatment a week ago. Already experiencing horrible side effects: ongoing ringing ears; constantly nauseous; slughish tired during the day; Light headed throughout the day; rapid heart beat; had 2 nightmares which I woke up catching my own breath because I thought I was dying. That same night I had that dream twice; still cannot sleep more than 4 1/2 pushing 5. Hrs of sleep. with 10mg. Still having migraines. Called my Dr. Office 2 days ago and have not received a call back yet. I am supposed to go up to 30 or 40mg. But with these side effects I just want to get off of 10mg."

Clara Munoz (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"I started having constant headaches on the left side only. We're talking everyday, multiple times per day. I was miserable. After taking 10mg at night for a week or two my headaches stopped. I discontinued use after 3 months to see what would happen and my headaches returned 3 days later. Won't make that mistake again. If I have had any side effects, I haven't noticed."

Very effective (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2016

"Have had migraines for the past 20 years but they were usually around my time of the month. Recently the migraines were daily and on a pain scale of 7 to 8 out of 10. My GP prescribed Nortriptyline as a preventative treatment. I've been on it for almost a month. After a week of 10mg before bed, the migraines lessened from multiple times per day to every other day and the pain scale dropped down to 1 from 7 - 8. I'm now 9 days migraine free. No blurred vision but really bad dry mouth in the morning. I'm hoping the dry mouth will eventually subside. Not overly concerned. The treatment plan is to titrate off the medication after 6 to 12 months. In the meantime, it's nice to be migraine free."

Feelin' Gooooood October 13, 2016

"Being treated for vestibular migraines. I was very worried about taking this (side affects) so I waited a week before deciding to try it. Only took 10mg at night. I could not get to sleep and in the morning I experienced sadness, anxiety, increased heart rate, irritability, dizziness, brain fog. One time was enough I have a family and can't ride these symptoms out ( if they ever actually would decrease). The negative effects out weighed any benefits."

Nomoredrugsplease October 5, 2016

"This drug has changed my life. I used to get at least 1 headache per week, often up to 3 or 4, with nausea and extreme fatigue. I have been on the 10 mg about 3 months now and it has seriously given me my life back. I still get headaches (maybe twice per month) but they are very mild and usually really late at night. I had side effects (pretty annoying constipation and mood swings) but this has subsided almost completely. I haven't felt this good in years and I highly recommend trying this drug."

Aggie2018 October 2, 2016

"I apparently have tension headaches rather than migraines, I had headaches about twice a week for maybe 9 years. They last up to 16 hours and usual medications usually did very little. Started 10mg Nortriptyline, worked immediately, but faded. Took it up to 20mg, same thing. Went to 30mg., and it lasted a while, but then faded. For about 7 months I only had about 2 headaches a month. So I stopped taking it. After a few months, started getting 4 or 5 headaches a week for the past 2 months. Got back on Nortrip about 10 days ago at only 10mg. No headaches until yesterday. So as of last night I took it up to 20mg. I didn't want to go past 30mg but may have to. Vivid dreams that sometimes wake me, dry mouth are my side effects."

Coopdawg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

"It help with my migraines the only problem I have is weight gain and waking up in a he middle of the night. I started taking in March I weighed 130 it's now August and I weigh 156 ."

Punkin1974 August 31, 2016

"I have a love/hate relationship with this drug. When I take it i am headache free but if i forget to take it just one time I have the worst headache imaginable the next day. Like a hangover headache with nausea and dizziness. It is worse than the headaches I had before I started taking the medication. I've also noticed my energy levels are way lower and I am super constipated everyday. Dr did advise me about the constipation but not the lack of interest in doing things. I am super slow and have literally no energy to do anything. So I am not sure if it is related. I want to try to get off medicine but dr advises against this. I am not sure what to do."

2drained2think July 8, 2016

"I've struggled with migraines since I was a child and have manged mostly on Excedrin until age 30 when I first tried Imitrex. The combination helps me but the frequency of my migraines (2-3x) made me seek out a neurologist for preventative medication. I've been on Pamelor for only a week and stopped taking it last night because I couldn't take the side effects anymore: fast heart rate, major heartburn (a burning feeling that reaches up my chest, throat and head), nausea, constipation, blurred vision, anxiety, fatigue, ringing ears. In that week, I had only 1 migraine and had 5 headaches. For me, any potential mitigation of future migraines isn't worth dealing with these side effects. I'm miserable and it's interfering with work and life."

camior (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"Dry mouth, constipation, foul taste in mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"I titrated up over two months, 10 mg at a time until I reached 50 mg. The side effects for me were: bad dreams, increased appetite, tiredness, heartburn, decreased sex drive, and sadness. I began taking the medicine at 7 PM and that eliminated the bad dreams. However, the medicine made me feel depressed. I would feel sad and start crying for no reason. This was all in the first 2 months and then the side effects went away. I have been at 50 mg for almost 3 months now and I feel normal! While it was hard for me in the first few months, I stuck with it and sure enough the side effects went away. Unfortunately, I’ve been getting more migraines recently, and so I’m instructed to titrate up to 90 mg... So I'm not sure if it works yet"

mafzal89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"The first few months being on this drug, it did not work at all. Before taking the drug I would get approximately a headache every other day and a migraine once a week. This continued a couple months after starting the drug at 10 mg. Now, after being on it for 6 months, it is working wonders. I have only gotten 10 headaches in the past 90 days and 1 migraine."

Roni12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"I have been taking 10mg then upped it to 25mg nightly since October. Now I'm not sure if it was migraines I was actually having. I am on holiday in Australia from New Zealand and was on a short trip on the plane from Sydenham to the Gold Coast, 10 minutes in and the light through the bind was too bright so I took 100 mg Sumitriptan as they are pretty fast working but not this time. I lost my vision straight away and ended up having emergency surgery up my nose on a burst pituarty gland so close to my Brain it was bleeding and only so much removed, it benign thank goodness but I'm blind in my right eye possibly permanent and only about 20% vision in my left eye with no left vision and it could take at least a year to function properly."

Kazsmith February 11, 2016

"I've had chronic headaches for 4-5 years and was treating symptoms with OTC meds which eventually became ineffective. Started having severe migraines about once a week for which I finally sought a more permanent treatment. Had some undesirable side effects to a few of the initial prescriptions. Hair loss, nausea, insomnia, etc. I had a rough start with Nortriptyline. As I increased the dosage I experienced prolonged drowsiness and some constipation. After a few weeks the symptoms decreased and my head aches stopped being a daily occurrence. I have had a few migraines since starting but these have also become less frequent. Maybe from once a week to once a month now. Hoping this works for me long-term and doesn't become ineffective."

gmo7286 February 2, 2016

"I've been dealing with migraines for about 2 years now. After extensive testing to rule out brain tumours, Wilson's disease, MS, etc, I was essentially told that I would have to manage my migraines for the rest of my life. The only pain meds that worked were T3s which weren't an option when I was getting more than one migraine a week. After trying several medications Nortriptyline actually worked. My only complaint is the worsening of my other symptoms such as vision issues, an essential tremor, and speech difficulties. The benefits far outweigh the costs though. I am a functional person today because of this medication"

UniStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I started taking Nortriptyline a couple years ago after about a six month long migraine that never seemed to get relieved. I had tried amitriptyline before but it made me very drowsy. The headache relief with 75mg daily of Nortriptyline has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I do get rare mild to intermediate headaches from time to time but they never last long at all. The dry mouth is a real occurrence, but easily ignored. I've been reading about other possible side effects lately and was surprised to find that tingling and numbness in the extremities is a possible rare phenomenon. I must admit my fingers do get numb frequently. I was beginning to wonder if I was experiencing a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Small price though!"

48fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

"I've suffered from chronic migraines since I was a kid and been on Nortriptyline for about a month now. The first two weeks are hard to gauge the effect of it because for the first week I was in a much higher altitude than normal, and the second week was my schools finals. So far very unhappy with the drug as I am still getting 4-5 headaches a week, even during "normal life" with nothing going on. Will be talking to my doctor to see what can be done about it, maybe a different dosage or time taking it will change my opinion. Willing to try anything to reduce headache frequency and severity."

jessmkt (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"I've had migraines since I was 9. My parents weren't big on doctors so I "bucked up" through the raging pain. I didn't know until my 20's that having headaches every day wasn't normal. When I got married and my husband found me curled in a ball of pain, he didn't take "I'm okay" for an answer and took me to his family GP. The first day I took Nortripylene my migraines vanished. I didn't even know life could be so pain free! It's been 8 years now and I'll happily take it forever to be free from the wracking pain. If I stop, they come back and remind me to get my refill. It has worked wonders for me."

2Relieved (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2016