User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I'm 33 have been taking 25mg for the past 4.5 years. I have been getting aura migraines since I was 13. They have always been unpredictable and could never pin down particular triggers. In my early 20s I took sandomigran for a couple years but found I gained too much weight and still got migraines. For the first 4 years -pretty much to the day, of taking nortriptyline I didn't have a single migraine, normal headaches lessened, my irritable bowel syndrome and endometriosis improved and then I got the dreaded aura and a terrible migraine. I have now had 3 migraines in the past 5 months and curious as to why it's not working as effectively as it used too. Side effects: no weight gain, I get a dry mouth all day, lowered libido, restless sleep."

Emma delemma (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking 30mg a night for 7 or 8 years now. It doesn't stop the migraines but it lessens the pain and makes them less frequent. One of the better medications I have tried. Others have either not worked or have had horrible side effects. I tried to go off of Nortriptyline twice now because I do feel it increases my appetite, but both times the headaches got worse. So for me Nortriptyline and Botox shots have been the most helpful."

PeachK May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given this medicine to take daily to prevent migraines, and I don't know if it worked because it threw me into the WORST depression I've ever dealt with in my life. At the peak of this I had a panic attack so bad I was considering dropping out of college! Luckily I realized that the pill was making me feel this way and as SOON as I stopped it the depressive episodes and anxiety went away. I was on a small dose too. TERRIBLE. BE CAREFUL WITH IT IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY/PREDISPOSITION TO DEPRESSION/ANXIETY"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered from migraines since my daughter was born in 1967. I was prescribed Cafergot to take at start of headache. It worked well for each attack, but had a lot of side effects. I would get migraine episodes from once a week to 3 or 4 times a week. While employed, I would have to go to the ladies lounge and rest for the period it too to alleviate the pain. Then my blood pressure got out of control, thereby creating another problem. I was having a lot of nausea and vomiting also. After retiring at 50, a new doctor prescribed Amytriptilyne. Recently a new doc took me off it and migraine returned with a vengeance. I'm now taking Nortriptyline and it has worked wonders! No more migraine at all."

Wifeofgary April 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I posted about 2 months ago when I first started taking Nortriptyline, 25mg, once a day. I had a continuous headache day in and out. After taking multiple drugs, Imitrex, Prodrin, Midrin, not much relief. After about 2 weeks on Nortriptyline my continuous headache had diminished, "almost" entirely. I did notice though many afternoons my headache return and I had to take other meds to help reduce the discomfort. I talked to my doctor and he agreed maybe 2x a day would be best. 25mg in the morning and again at night. That was about 3 weeks ago and now, very rarely do I have any headaches, at any time of day. I hope this continues. What a relief. To me, this has been a true wonder drug for my 24 hour headache! No side effects."

bwilla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After being diagnosed with vestibular migraines about a year ago, I resisted taking any medications. The dizziness and feeling unwell caused depression as I was afraid to go anywhere and get a major dizzy spell that would make me also have symptoms of a stroke ( numb face and arm and difficulty speaking.) I started taking Nortrypraline and stopped after a few days as I was so tired and felt nauseated. My doctor told me to give it a go for a solid month and I'm so glad that I did. After about three weeks I started feeling so much better. Less episodes and when they came on, they were very mild. I'm only taking 10mg but plan to increase to 20 to see if even more benefits are seen once I get the ok from my doctor."

Thekmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"About 25 years ago I suffered from debilitating headaches that lasted for days on end with varying intensity, but never quite gone. Upon visiting a neurologist I was told I suffer from Cluster headaches and he prescribed Nortriptyline. I have been taking 50 mg daily at bedtime for the 25 years since. I very rarely suffer from any headache at all as long as I remember to take my pill at bedtime and yes, I do sleep great. Nortriptyine was a godsend for me!"

Prinnie February 27, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My VA. appointed Neurologist has migraines and swears by the use of Nortriptyline, so he prescribe two tablets (10mg) at bed time for headache prevention. Problem is my headaches are more severe than migraines and I have been on it for 1 month. I wake up everyday with severe headaches morning and noon."

TBI Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well I'm currently taking four 25mg nortriptyline a night for the past few months this is the only tablet that seems to keep my migraines at bay as I was diagnosed with classical migraines after my MRI scan if I miss one night I will get a migraine the day after every time I cannot miss a night taking them otherwise I pay for it the next day I can have up to 3 major migraines a day but this dosage and these tablets seem to be working for me ."

Cravoo Chris 16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Nortriptyline 25mg for two months. I previously had daily migraines for over a year. No other treatment options worked. The Nortriptyline works! It prevents the migraine from even starting. You have to be good at remembering to take it. If you miss a dose pain can return. I take it one time in the evening. I have only experienced one side effect and that is that it makes me sleep harder. Doesn't make me sleepy though. I would definitely recommend this med to anyone who suffers with migraines that don't have a deeper cause."

1NC318 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had "a" really bad headache for over 6 weeks now. On my right side. I say "a" because it is almost constant, day and night every day. Seldom have I had headaches my entire life. I'm now 60. After 4 visits to a doctor, (the first one prescribed antibiotics saying I had a sinus infection-no help what so ever, the second guy Midrin, same thing). I was prescribed nortriptyline at 25mg once a day by my last visit with a new doctor. It has been 3 days, so not much change, yet. I can put up with any/all the side effects mentioned, if I get relief. I will repost in a week or 2, when hopefully it has kicked in. Scheduled for a CAT scan in 2 days.....we'll see. Reading these posts has given me some hope."

bwilla January 2, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on nortriptyline for 6 years with two breaks in the middle. I have had severe migraines since I was 13 and have tried several treatment options. The two times I stopped were because it was no longer effective in preventing migraines. During those times my doctor increased beta blockers for 6 months then went back to the regular dosage with nortriptyline. I take up to 100 mg a day but average 50mg. Sometimes I take for granted how well this medication has worked for me. The downsides are weight gain, restlessness and vivid dreams. If you suffer from migraines to the extent I have it is well worth the side effects."

CarolineHa January 1, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has been very effective by almost eliminating my daily pain. When I do experience headache, jaw and neck pain, it's now usually milder than before and easily treated with a pain reliever. Additional benefits include helping me fall asleep easier and reducing the symptoms of a serious sleep disorder. The only negative side effect directly related to this med has been severe thirst requiring me to drink water and urinate very frequently. However this annoying and inconvenient side effect is well worth it. I'm also at high risk for angle closure, but am unsure if it's related. I lived with chronic pain from my mid 20s through my late 30s before starting this medication. I only wish I started taking it earlier in life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 31, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I woke up one day with a horrible migraine that never went away. Every day, all day. It was killing me. I haven't ever had a headache like this. Definitely never had one that lasted the entire day. So after four doctor visits, three blood test and six months of non-stop migraines, I was prescribed Nortriptyline. Only after two weeks I was waking up with out a headache. By the time I had got up to 40 milligrams, I was headache free. I'm so happy and relieved. The only side effects I am experiencing are dry mouth and trouble with sleepiness in the morning."

It helped! (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered with migraines for years because doctors weren't able to diagnose them. They thought my headaches were related to sinus problems. I got headaches 4-5 times a week. Finally a neurologist prescribed 25mg nortriptyline daily. It took a few weeks to take effect but now I have been nearly headache free for four years. I do still occasionally get headaches every few months but they never last more than a few hours and generic Imitrex helps. I asked the doctor about going off the nortriptyline but she said if not's broken why fix it. So I am going to stay on this wonder drug. Best of luck to anyone suffering with headaches. It's a tough time."

MayaP (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 8, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had a terrible experience with migraines and tried multiple prevention medications. I have been hospitalized multiple times as well for DHE, and now have the injections at home. My first prevention med for migraines was nortriptyline and it made me feel even worse, I do not recommend. I had terrible side effects from it lasting over a week after I had stopped the medication. I've been on topamax for months for 7 months now and it helped at first but my headaches have gotten so bad I'm decreasing it. But I recommend over nortriptyline. I've now started gabapentin and this has actually helped with my pain component. Beta-blockers can also be a good preventative, I'm on nadolol as well."

margarite.d December 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking Pamelor (that's the generic name) primarily for migraine prevention but it also helps my depression. It's been about three months since I started this and my migraines have reduced a lot. I rarely get them now. I'm also feeling much better since my depression. The only side effect I have is sleepiness in the mornings. Other than that it's a charm."

Miss A. C. November 20, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So far started treatment a week ago. Already experiencing horrible side effects: ongoing ringing ears; constantly nauseous; slughish tired during the day; Light headed throughout the day; rapid heart beat; had 2 nightmares which I woke up catching my own breath because I thought I was dying. That same night I had that dream twice; still cannot sleep more than 4 1/2 pushing 5. Hrs of sleep. with 10mg. Still having migraines. Called my Dr. Office 2 days ago and have not received a call back yet. I am supposed to go up to 30 or 40mg. But with these side effects I just want to get off of 10mg."

Clara Munoz (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started having constant headaches on the left side only. We're talking everyday, multiple times per day. I was miserable. After taking 10mg at night for a week or two my headaches stopped. I discontinued use after 3 months to see what would happen and my headaches returned 3 days later. Won't make that mistake again. If I have had any side effects, I haven't noticed."

Very effective (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had migraines for the past 20 years but they were usually around my time of the month. Recently the migraines were daily and on a pain scale of 7 to 8 out of 10. My GP prescribed Nortriptyline as a preventative treatment. I've been on it for almost a month. After a week of 10mg before bed, the migraines lessened from multiple times per day to every other day and the pain scale dropped down to 1 from 7 - 8. I'm now 9 days migraine free. No blurred vision but really bad dry mouth in the morning. I'm hoping the dry mouth will eventually subside. Not overly concerned. The treatment plan is to titrate off the medication after 6 to 12 months. In the meantime, it's nice to be migraine free."

Feelin' Gooooood October 13, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Being treated for vestibular migraines. I was very worried about taking this (side affects) so I waited a week before deciding to try it. Only took 10mg at night. I could not get to sleep and in the morning I experienced sadness, anxiety, increased heart rate, irritability, dizziness, brain fog. One time was enough I have a family and can't ride these symptoms out ( if they ever actually would decrease). The negative effects out weighed any benefits."

Nomoredrugsplease October 5, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug has changed my life. I used to get at least 1 headache per week, often up to 3 or 4, with nausea and extreme fatigue. I have been on the 10 mg about 3 months now and it has seriously given me my life back. I still get headaches (maybe twice per month) but they are very mild and usually really late at night. I had side effects (pretty annoying constipation and mood swings) but this has subsided almost completely. I haven't felt this good in years and I highly recommend trying this drug."

Aggie2018 October 2, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I apparently have tension headaches rather than migraines, I had headaches about twice a week for maybe 9 years. They last up to 16 hours and usual medications usually did very little. Started 10mg Nortriptyline, worked immediately, but faded. Took it up to 20mg, same thing. Went to 30mg., and it lasted a while, but then faded. For about 7 months I only had about 2 headaches a month. So I stopped taking it. After a few months, started getting 4 or 5 headaches a week for the past 2 months. Got back on Nortrip about 10 days ago at only 10mg. No headaches until yesterday. So as of last night I took it up to 20mg. I didn't want to go past 30mg but may have to. Vivid dreams that sometimes wake me, dry mouth are my side effects."

Coopdawg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It help with my migraines the only problem I have is weight gain and waking up in a he middle of the night. I started taking in March I weighed 130 it's now August and I weigh 156 ."

Punkin1974 August 31, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a love/hate relationship with this drug. When I take it i am headache free but if i forget to take it just one time I have the worst headache imaginable the next day. Like a hangover headache with nausea and dizziness. It is worse than the headaches I had before I started taking the medication. I've also noticed my energy levels are way lower and I am super constipated everyday. Dr did advise me about the constipation but not the lack of interest in doing things. I am super slow and have literally no energy to do anything. So I am not sure if it is related. I want to try to get off medicine but dr advises against this. I am not sure what to do."

2drained2think July 8, 2016