User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I apparently have tension headaches rather than migraines, I had headaches about twice a week for maybe 9 years. They last up to 16 hours and usual medications usually did very little. Started 10mg Nortriptyline, worked immediately, but faded. Took it up to 20mg, same thing. Went to 30mg., and it lasted a while, but then faded. For about 7 months I only had about 2 headaches a month. So I stopped taking it. After a few months, started getting 4 or 5 headaches a week for the past 2 months. Got back on Nortrip about 10 days ago at only 10mg. No headaches until yesterday. So as of last night I took it up to 20mg. I didn't want to go past 30mg but may have to. Vivid dreams that sometimes wake me, dry mouth are my side effects."

Coopdawg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2016

"It help with my migraines the only problem I have is weight gain and waking up in a he middle of the night. I started taking in March I weighed 130 it's now August and I weigh 156 ."

Punkin1974 August 31, 2016

"I have a love/hate relationship with this drug. When I take it i am headache free but if i forget to take it just one time I have the worst headache imaginable the next day. Like a hangover headache with nausea and dizziness. It is worse than the headaches I had before I started taking the medication. I've also noticed my energy levels are way lower and I am super constipated everyday. Dr did advise me about the constipation but not the lack of interest in doing things. I am super slow and have literally no energy to do anything. So I am not sure if it is related. I want to try to get off medicine but dr advises against this. I am not sure what to do."

2drained2think July 8, 2016

"I've struggled with migraines since I was a child and have manged mostly on Excedrin until age 30 when I first tried Imitrex. The combination helps me but the frequency of my migraines (2-3x) made me seek out a neurologist for preventative medication. I've been on Pamelor for only a week and stopped taking it last night because I couldn't take the side effects anymore: fast heart rate, major heartburn (a burning feeling that reaches up my chest, throat and head), nausea, constipation, blurred vision, anxiety, fatigue, ringing ears. In that week, I had only 1 migraine and had 5 headaches. For me, any potential mitigation of future migraines isn't worth dealing with these side effects. I'm miserable and it's interfering with work and life."

camior (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

"Dry mouth, constipation, foul taste in mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

"I titrated up over two months, 10 mg at a time until I reached 50 mg. The side effects for me were: bad dreams, increased appetite, tiredness, heartburn, decreased sex drive, and sadness. I began taking the medicine at 7 PM and that eliminated the bad dreams. However, the medicine made me feel depressed. I would feel sad and start crying for no reason. This was all in the first 2 months and then the side effects went away. I have been at 50 mg for almost 3 months now and I feel normal! While it was hard for me in the first few months, I stuck with it and sure enough the side effects went away. Unfortunately, I’ve been getting more migraines recently, and so I’m instructed to titrate up to 90 mg... So I'm not sure if it works yet"

mafzal89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"The first few months being on this drug, it did not work at all. Before taking the drug I would get approximately a headache every other day and a migraine once a week. This continued a couple months after starting the drug at 10 mg. Now, after being on it for 6 months, it is working wonders. I have only gotten 10 headaches in the past 90 days and 1 migraine."

Roni12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"I have been taking 10mg then upped it to 25mg nightly since October. Now I'm not sure if it was migraines I was actually having. I am on holiday in Australia from New Zealand and was on a short trip on the plane from Sydenham to the Gold Coast, 10 minutes in and the light through the bind was too bright so I took 100 mg Sumitriptan as they are pretty fast working but not this time. I lost my vision straight away and ended up having emergency surgery up my nose on a burst pituarty gland so close to my Brain it was bleeding and only so much removed, it benign thank goodness but I'm blind in my right eye possibly permanent and only about 20% vision in my left eye with no left vision and it could take at least a year to function properly."

Kazsmith February 11, 2016

"I've had chronic headaches for 4-5 years and was treating symptoms with OTC meds which eventually became ineffective. Started having severe migraines about once a week for which I finally sought a more permanent treatment. Had some undesirable side effects to a few of the initial prescriptions. Hair loss, nausea, insomnia, etc. I had a rough start with Nortriptyline. As I increased the dosage I experienced prolonged drowsiness and some constipation. After a few weeks the symptoms decreased and my head aches stopped being a daily occurrence. I have had a few migraines since starting but these have also become less frequent. Maybe from once a week to once a month now. Hoping this works for me long-term and doesn't become ineffective."

gmo7286 February 2, 2016

"I've been dealing with migraines for about 2 years now. After extensive testing to rule out brain tumours, Wilson's disease, MS, etc, I was essentially told that I would have to manage my migraines for the rest of my life. The only pain meds that worked were T3s which weren't an option when I was getting more than one migraine a week. After trying several medications Nortriptyline actually worked. My only complaint is the worsening of my other symptoms such as vision issues, an essential tremor, and speech difficulties. The benefits far outweigh the costs though. I am a functional person today because of this medication"

UniStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I started taking Nortriptyline a couple years ago after about a six month long migraine that never seemed to get relieved. I had tried amitriptyline before but it made me very drowsy. The headache relief with 75mg daily of Nortriptyline has been nothing short of miraculous for me. I do get rare mild to intermediate headaches from time to time but they never last long at all. The dry mouth is a real occurrence, but easily ignored. I've been reading about other possible side effects lately and was surprised to find that tingling and numbness in the extremities is a possible rare phenomenon. I must admit my fingers do get numb frequently. I was beginning to wonder if I was experiencing a symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome. Small price though!"

48fan (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

"I've suffered from chronic migraines since I was a kid and been on Nortriptyline for about a month now. The first two weeks are hard to gauge the effect of it because for the first week I was in a much higher altitude than normal, and the second week was my schools finals. So far very unhappy with the drug as I am still getting 4-5 headaches a week, even during "normal life" with nothing going on. Will be talking to my doctor to see what can be done about it, maybe a different dosage or time taking it will change my opinion. Willing to try anything to reduce headache frequency and severity."

jessmkt (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2016

"I've had migraines since I was 9. My parents weren't big on doctors so I "bucked up" through the raging pain. I didn't know until my 20's that having headaches every day wasn't normal. When I got married and my husband found me curled in a ball of pain, he didn't take "I'm okay" for an answer and took me to his family GP. The first day I took Nortripylene my migraines vanished. I didn't even know life could be so pain free! It's been 8 years now and I'll happily take it forever to be free from the wracking pain. If I stop, they come back and remind me to get my refill. It has worked wonders for me."

2Relieved (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2016

"Have taken 4-5 years now changed my life for the better. A neurologist I saw for over 25 years treated me with 4-5 drugs. The last 15 years prescribed Demerol 100 mg liquid injections. My headaches were 4-5 week. I left that doctor went to my primary who prescribed Nortriptyline 25 Mg 1 pill before going to bed. That has worked so well I don't have but maybe 4-5 headaches a year now!!"

Kathie B December 17, 2015

"I have been on this since the beginning of October 2015.. I never really write any reviews.. but I swear this drug saved my life. . I am a pro athlete and my migraines had got so bad I couldn't train any more. Almost a year went by with no training. . It got to the point that I was going into the hospital at least once a week. . CT scans and Mri. . The whole 9 yards. Finally the ER Dr told me I should really consider taking this so I did. Within 2 weeks I was migraine free. . And haven't had one since. It is truly a life saver. I am also finding that I am in a better place mentally as well."

pro athlete (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

"It works for me! I've had chronic daily headaches, migraines, and neck pain for over 18 years. Once diagnosed with migraines about four years ago, I was able to reduce the frequency and severity by avoiding known triggers (see Buchholz's "Heal Your Headache") but recently the headaches recently returned in force. I convinced my doctor to let me try nortriptyline and it works very well with very mild side effects. I had dry mouth which is not very noticeable now, higher incidence of heartburn than normal, firmer stools, and frequent "weird", vivid dreams. Relief started at 25 mg but I now take 75 mg daily. Migraine frequency is down from 20+ days a month to 1-2. I still avoid most triggers to be safe but this has helped tremendously"

tstaples (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines for 25 + years. I had my first appointment with a headache specialist /neurologist this month and she started me on nortriptyline 10 mg, 1 x day for a week and step up to 30 mg daily. That was a Monday. I had a severe migraine from Monday night until Saturday as my last dose was Thur night and headache carried over into Friday. Saturday was much better. I also experienced a terrible pressure in my neck and head like my BP was elevated (normally my BP is great unless I'm in pain). I was incredibly irritable as well. After stopping nortriptyline, the daily headache issue subsided as well as the pressure in neck and head. I still have migraines and will find something else. In short.... No. I won't take it again."

TessaTwo (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines for 25 years. I had my first appointment with a headache specialist /neurologist this month and she started me on nortriptyline (Pamelor) 10 mg, 1 x day for a week and step up to 30 mg daily. That was a Monday. I had a severe migraine from Monday night until Saturday as my last dose was Thur night and headache carried over into Friday. Saturday was much better. I also experienced a terrible pressure in my neck and head like my BP was elevated (normally my BP is great unless I'm in pain). I was incredibly irritable as well. In short.... No. Just no. I won't take it ever again."

TessaTwo (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

"Switched from Amitriptyline to Nortriptyline because I was told the side effects were less severe. My vision was already altered because of Amitriptyline so I am unsure for Nortriptyline contributes. The side effects of hostility and aggression have lessened. However the sweating is still constant. Sleeping is okay, just have a hard time falling asleep. The overall experience outweighs the headaches. I am thankful my migraines and daily headaches have lessened"

miniackj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

"I never write reviews but for this drug I feel like I have to! I have tried so many drugs, herbal supplements, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture etc. have been hospitalized before for my migraines, and at some periods had them everyday. I thought if this is the reality of my life being in pain everyday, what is the point? This is the only drug which works and has almost no side effects except for at first a dry, nasty tasting mouth which has gone away for the most part. It took a couple days to kick in and I'm on a very low dose of 10 mg which I take at night. It's been almost a week pain free! I feel like a new person and it finally feels like the miracle I've been looking for, so don't give up!"

CJCJCJCJ November 15, 2015

"I got a nasty flu virus when I was 32. During that time, I experienced my first migraine. It hurt so bad! Afterwards..I kept getting them about once every one-two weeks. My doctor put me on nortriptyline. I have had one dose increase in the first year. Since then I don't them as much. When I need to take it..it calms me and I fall asleep. The next day,I get the migraine hang over..that's when I take ibuprofen. The medication has been a life saver"

Migraine since 2009 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 14, 2015

"For 25 years I suffered with migraines with aura, numbness in my hands, face, + nausea etc. I tried everything the doctors suggested, & avoided triggers. I haven't eaten chocolate in 32 years, never eat bananas, & I've never had red wine. In 1997, a neurologist prescribed 100mg of Pamalor, and 500mg of Naproxen 2x a day. It completely changed my life. I now stay away from the obvious triggers, & take 50mg a night(75 during my periods) & 250mg naproxen. I get migraines about 5x a year now, & use Imitrex then). I've taken it for 18 years & would like to ween off of it. I don't like the heart concerns associated with it, constipation, nor the weight gain. I exercise daily, maintain a 1200 cal diet, & still gain weight.. 50 lbs in 18 years."

It changed my life (taken for 10 years or more) November 4, 2015

"I'm not an effusive person, but for me this is a miracle drug. I have had migraines for 40 years and have tried just about every preventive and palliative med out there. I've been taking this for 6 weeks and have only had 2 migraines (both times I had multiple triggers going) that were relatively mild. I only needed to go up to 20 mg. to get relief. Had a non-migraine headache the first few mornings I started on 10 mg and then 20 mg. but it went away with tylenol. This is the first review I've felt compelled to write for any product."

TrueBeliever (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2015

"Nortriptyline comes in 10, 25, and at LEAST 50mg. I think it also comes in larger doses. I have taken it for migraine prevention for several years then it stopped working as well. I currently take Venoflaxalin (or however you spell it) The problem I currently have is my GP prescribed Nortriptyline for my neuropathy I have gotten from a side effect of taking Levaquin. DON'T EVER TAKE!! I am taking 50mg as that seems to be the level that has helped. I titrated up to that level. EVERYTHING I read tell me I shouldn't be taking these 2meds together as it may cause a seratonin reaction that could be very serious. I have reduced the Venoflaxalin, but I am waking with DAILY migraines. I don't think my GP is informed."

Anonymous October 15, 2015

"Overall this medicine prevented migraines. I found that I had less migraines, but when I do get migraines they are of the same severity as when I'm not being medicated. I have no side effects that I know of. Previous medicines didn't decrease the frequency but did decrease severity. However, I had numbness in my hands and feet while on these medicines."

Clarh (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 13, 2015