User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've been taking this for 10 days, not only it didn't helped but my daily headaches have been getting progressively worst each day after around day 4. I did not had many side effects other than feeling thirsty, but I'm stopping it because it just made the pain worst, I should have gotten any kind of pain relief by this point already."

Steam Hams (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

"I started 25mg and first night, a couple of hours later I was so dizzy that I had to lay down. I was back to not sleeping because I was drenched in sweat. I know it is suppose to take time for the med to get into your system but I feel like I am going though menopause."

Lana May 25, 2018

"I have headaches for around 15-16 months. I went different specialist and tried different medicines such as Norco, naproxen, Toradol, ketorolac, sumatriptan, among others. I can describe my pain from 1-10 as a 10. I was not able to go out, do things with my family, etc. The pain was extremely severe that my arm and fingers get numb. The last doctor prescribed me Nortripilyn a few months ago. We started with 10mg and went up to 50mg. I could say that the pills help me incredibly with my migraine, but the side effects are crazy. I have on a daily basis "flashes." All my faces get red like a tomato and I fill like I am going to exploit!!! So, I do know if I should stop taking it, but I am afraid to get "depression" or the headaches back."

Tortiz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2018

"I was put on 10mg initially for migraine and insomnia. After two weeks my doc upped it to 25mg which I've been on for four weeks. I've had a number of side effects: blurry vision, dizziness, dry mouth, froggy voice, continuous migraine. After six weeks, I've started to taper off of nortriptyline and it isn't going well. I still have my migraine, but add in chills, anxiousness, burning/tinglings arms and fingers. It was definitely not worth starting this medication."

Heather0711 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

"Miracle drug. After I started exercising almost every day, I got a migraine that lasted four/five months. I had a migraine every day with dizziness, trouble speaking, reading, writing, thinking. I thought I was going on disability. I tried topamax, but it didn't make any difference. I started on nortript and on the third day I noticed an improvement. Three months later, I have zero symptoms. Now my current dosage of 20mg is making me drowsy. So I think I am going back to 10mg. I have stopped exercising completely. I wish I could go back to running and weight lifting."

Happy1234567 February 12, 2018

"I have had daily headaches for around 4 years. The headaches are never severe but always pop up at the right front of my head on a daily basis and are more annoying than anything else. On a scale of 1-10 for pain I would rate them a 3-4. My doctor started me on 10mg Nortriptyline once at night before bed. I noticed a rapid improvement with my headaches immediately. I took the pills for around 6 months and have now stopped taking them completely. I would have stopped around 2 weeks ago and my headaches have not yet returned. I have 3 months supply of the tablets still but so far haven't needed to start them again."

92ross (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2018

"I have vestibular migraines and this dug has been amazing for it. I've suffered from vestibular issues for over 10 years before it being nailed down as migraine and was started on nortripyline. After years of these vestibular attacks, lasting several days and occurring several times a month, I'm now down to maybe an attack or two every few months and a few during times of high stress. Side effects are minimal. Dry mouth. Was told it would help me sleep, kinda doesn't, but so worth it for the incredibly mild side effects and the huge quality of life increase."

Rsb1234 January 17, 2018

"I started taking 10mg for headaches a month ago now, and while I’m grateful for my lack of side effects, I couldn’t really see the benefit from these pills either... I might have noticed a slight drop in the frequency of my headaches but for the little help they gave, it’s just not worth it to have to take pills every single night. Maybe my dose wasn’t high enough?"

Char0399 January 9, 2018

"I’ve been getting migraines since I was a teenager. I’ve always used Imitrex (sumatriptan) which worked really well, but the side effects kept worsening throughout the years. So much so that it got to the point where the clothes that touched my skin hurt. Not normal, but better than a migraine, right? That was my thought. I told my doctor and she immediately had me switch over to nortriptyline 10mg before bed. I have sleep issues and PTSD as well and starting this medication helped me with all of it. I’ve had two migraines since starting a month ago. This is a huge improvement over the 8+ migraines I would normally have. The only downside is that it can back you up a bit. Easy fix with a little Miralax. Overall, I would highly recommend!"

MrsMCS November 23, 2017

"Works pretty well for my migraines related to various triggers (e.g., food allergies, strong scents, etc.). Side effects are present at times but not overwhelming including stiff muscles, dry mouth, nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2017

"I went to my Dr. with severe eye pain and headache. I thought it due to having the wrong reading glasses. I was very surprised with his diagnosis of migraine. I had been living with this for several years, but had gotten much worse in the pst two years. Pamilor took a few days to start working. About a week later it occurred to me that the pain was gone! My migraines are very rare and mild when they do happen. I do experience dry mouth, but it's starting to subside now. Keep some hard candy on hand!"

Rocky515 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

"I've had migraines since I was 15 and am now 28. I used to take imitrex and that worked pretty well for a few years. Once it stopped working I found Treximet which is amazing, but unfortunately when I switched insurances they did not cover the formulary medications. So I was using Naratriptan at onset semi-successfully for about 2 years (sometimes only worked for a few hours then it would come back). About 6 months ago I started waking up with migraines every single day for weeks at a time w/ no relief from naratriptan so my doctor started me on nortriptyline. I take 30 mg before bed and haven't had a migraine in months!! A miracle. Only side effect I've noticed is increased nighttime bathroom trips. So worth it though!"

Ariel11413 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

"So I woke up one day with the worst headache I've ever experienced. I don't ever remember having migraines, so I didn't know that thats what I was having. I am a "time will heal it" kinda guy. Well after four months of going to sleep and waking up with a migraine all day, every day. I am not stretching this at all. Finally my wife convinced me to see a doc. After two more months of migraines he said he wanted to try the Nortriptyline. I took 5mg every night for a week and then would increase the next week another 5mg until it helped. While at the 30 and 35 mg mark I felt improvements. When I started the 40 mg it was the first day I woke up in over 6 months with no migraine. It brought tears to my eyes. No side effects for me. Lucky I guess."

BHB August 26, 2017

"33 yr old male suffering from headaches since I can remember. They've gotten worse as I've gotten older. I use Imitrex and Relpax at onset, and this usually takes care of the headache. I would go through several "stints" where I would wake up with a headache every day . I am on Propranolol for HBP and migraine maint.). I tried several other maint. meds like topamax and amitriptyline. Topamax made my hands tingle. Amitriptyline didn't work. I've been on Nortriptyline for 2 months and WOW, what a difference. The first night I took it, I woke up without a headache. I probably only get 1 a week now, if that. Try this med if you haven't already, maybe it will help you too!"

Karl Stores August 25, 2017

"Nortriptyline did not work for me. The first month I took it I gained 15 lbs, the second month I gained 10 lbs, the third month I gained 5 lbs., total of 30 lbs in 3 months and cholesterol way above heart attack level. I stopped taking it because I still had migraines and because of the rapid weight gain. I have never gained more than 5lbs. I was 120-125 most of my life. I gained 5 lbs after having 4 kids. I gained 20lbs each time I was pregnant and lost it quickly. I still have these 30 lbs that I can't lose from this damn nortriptyline. I've been walking 3-4 miles every day for a month now and eat organic when I can. I lost 7lbs. It's taking forever. I don't recommend nortriptyline to anyone. Try something else!!"

SoRo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

"I'm 18 and I've been getting migraines since 5. I'm on 50 mg daily. I started nortriptyline in the beginning of summer because I was get them 2-3 times a week and very severely. I have been off medication all winter and since heat and activity is a big trigger I had to get back on medication. I had been very groggy in the mornings and caffeine wouldn't help I had insomnia and when I did sleep I had nightmares. Those side affects slowly went away with time except the nightmares they still come every once in awhile. I have heart palpitations and my heart rate is usually 130-120. I have also gained a lot of weight, I gained over 10 pounds in a month. I haven't had a migraine in a couple months only headaches which aren't that bad"

Ashleigh D (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

"I'm only 19 years old and I'm taking nortriptyline to prevent my migraines . I get these bad migraines everyday and at times I feel like shaving my whole head off because I feel like it's my hair causing it but it's not . Well I've been on nortripyline for 6 months now I still get migraines but not as bad as I use too but I still get them everyday which sucks . But I hate it because I'm suppose to take it right before I go to sleep and when I do I can't sleep anymore like it wakes me up and then I'm up the whole night and I start crying at times because I just want my migraines to go away so I could live a happy normal teenage life . I'm on every day medication I take nortriplyine 10 mg and ibuprofen 600 mg It sucks I hope I get better soon"

Michelle G. July 10, 2017

"I thought I'd share my experience as I was madly reading all the reviews on this website before starting this drug. I get it on the NHS in the UK and I take 20mg a day. Taking this drug and combining it with the plan in Dr David Buccholz' book Heal Your Headache has been the closest I've got to a total cure for my chronic severe migraines. There are almost no side effects. It's amazing. A word of caution. At one point when I tried increasing to higher doses above 20mg I had very bad mood swings for a few days. Even when I started from 0 to 10mg I had very bad mood swings for a few days but then it evens out and becomes unnoticeable."

superrsheep (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

"I started this medication last year at 10 mg for my migraines. They were so severe I couldn't function and they were almost daily for me. So my doctor prescribed me nortriptyline. It really helped almost immediately. However, about 1 month in I got super groggy and lethargic during the day for no reason. I decided that I would just stay on the medication anyway. I am so glad I did because this medication helps so much with my migraines. I am now on 20 mg and I only get a migraine once a month or less. I would highly recommend for people with chronic migraines."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2017

"I found the taking nortriptyline was very helpful especially when your head is hurting beyond a 10 . When your in need of some super relief in minutes. "

3823Dinkdink June 13, 2017

"I'm 33 have been taking 25mg for the past 4.5 years. I have been getting aura migraines since I was 13. They have always been unpredictable and could never pin down particular triggers. In my early 20s I took sandomigran for a couple years but found I gained too much weight and still got migraines. For the first 4 years -pretty much to the day, of taking nortriptyline I didn't have a single migraine, normal headaches lessened, my irritable bowel syndrome and endometriosis improved and then I got the dreaded aura and a terrible migraine. I have now had 3 migraines in the past 5 months and curious as to why it's not working as effectively as it used too. Side effects: no weight gain, I get a dry mouth all day, lowered libido, restless sleep."

Emma delemma (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

"I've been taking 30mg a night for 7 or 8 years now. It doesn't stop the migraines but it lessens the pain and makes them less frequent. One of the better medications I have tried. Others have either not worked or have had horrible side effects. I tried to go off of Nortriptyline twice now because I do feel it increases my appetite, but both times the headaches got worse. So for me Nortriptyline and Botox shots have been the most helpful."

PeachK May 17, 2017

"I was given this medicine to take daily to prevent migraines, and I don't know if it worked because it threw me into the WORST depression I've ever dealt with in my life. At the peak of this I had a panic attack so bad I was considering dropping out of college! Luckily I realized that the pill was making me feel this way and as SOON as I stopped it the depressive episodes and anxiety went away. I was on a small dose too. TERRIBLE. BE CAREFUL WITH IT IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY/PREDISPOSITION TO DEPRESSION/ANXIETY"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

"I've suffered from migraines since my daughter was born in 1967. I was prescribed Cafergot to take at start of headache. It worked well for each attack, but had a lot of side effects. I would get migraine episodes from once a week to 3 or 4 times a week. While employed, I would have to go to the ladies lounge and rest for the period it too to alleviate the pain. Then my blood pressure got out of control, thereby creating another problem. I was having a lot of nausea and vomiting also. After retiring at 50, a new doctor prescribed Amytriptilyne. Recently a new doc took me off it and migraine returned with a vengeance. I'm now taking Nortriptyline and it has worked wonders! No more migraine at all."

Wifeofgary April 14, 2017

"I posted about 2 months ago when I first started taking Nortriptyline, 25mg, once a day. I had a continuous headache day in and out. After taking multiple drugs, Imitrex, Prodrin, Midrin, not much relief. After about 2 weeks on Nortriptyline my continuous headache had diminished, "almost" entirely. I did notice though many afternoons my headache return and I had to take other meds to help reduce the discomfort. I talked to my doctor and he agreed maybe 2x a day would be best. 25mg in the morning and again at night. That was about 3 weeks ago and now, very rarely do I have any headaches, at any time of day. I hope this continues. What a relief. To me, this has been a true wonder drug for my 24 hour headache! No side effects."

bwilla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017