User Reviews for Nortriptyline

Also known as: Aventyl Hydrochloride, Pamelor

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Nortriptyline.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I’ve been getting migraines since I was a teenager. I’ve always used Imitrex (sumatriptan) which worked really well, but the side effects kept worsening throughout the years. So much so that it got to the point where the clothes that touched my skin hurt. Not normal, but better than a migraine, right? That was my thought. I told my doctor and she immediately had me switch over to nortriptyline 10mg before bed. I have sleep issues and PTSD as well and starting this medication helped me with all of it. I’ve had two migraines since starting a month ago. This is a huge improvement over the 8+ migraines I would normally have. The only downside is that it can back you up a bit. Easy fix with a little Miralax. Overall, I would highly recommend!"

MrsMCS November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works pretty well for my migraines related to various triggers (e.g., food allergies, strong scents, etc.). Side effects are present at times but not overwhelming including stiff muscles, dry mouth, nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went to my Dr. with severe eye pain and headache. I thought it due to having the wrong reading glasses. I was very surprised with his diagnosis of migraine. I had been living with this for several years, but had gotten much worse in the pst two years. Pamilor took a few days to start working. About a week later it occurred to me that the pain was gone! My migraines are very rare and mild when they do happen. I do experience dry mouth, but it's starting to subside now. Keep some hard candy on hand!"

Rocky515 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had migraines since I was 15 and am now 28. I used to take imitrex and that worked pretty well for a few years. Once it stopped working I found Treximet which is amazing, but unfortunately when I switched insurances they did not cover the formulary medications. So I was using Naratriptan at onset semi-successfully for about 2 years (sometimes only worked for a few hours then it would come back). About 6 months ago I started waking up with migraines every single day for weeks at a time w/ no relief from naratriptan so my doctor started me on nortriptyline. I take 30 mg before bed and haven't had a migraine in months!! A miracle. Only side effect I've noticed is increased nighttime bathroom trips. So worth it though!"

Ariel11413 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I woke up one day with the worst headache I've ever experienced. I don't ever remember having migraines, so I didn't know that thats what I was having. I am a "time will heal it" kinda guy. Well after four months of going to sleep and waking up with a migraine all day, every day. I am not stretching this at all. Finally my wife convinced me to see a doc. After two more months of migraines he said he wanted to try the Nortriptyline. I took 5mg every night for a week and then would increase the next week another 5mg until it helped. While at the 30 and 35 mg mark I felt improvements. When I started the 40 mg it was the first day I woke up in over 6 months with no migraine. It brought tears to my eyes. No side effects for me. Lucky I guess."

BHB August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"33 yr old male suffering from headaches since I can remember. They've gotten worse as I've gotten older. I use Imitrex and Relpax at onset, and this usually takes care of the headache. I would go through several "stints" where I would wake up with a headache every day . I am on Propranolol for HBP and migraine maint.). I tried several other maint. meds like topamax and amitriptyline. Topamax made my hands tingle. Amitriptyline didn't work. I've been on Nortriptyline for 2 months and WOW, what a difference. The first night I took it, I woke up without a headache. I probably only get 1 a week now, if that. Try this med if you haven't already, maybe it will help you too!"

Karl Stores August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nortriptyline did not work for me. The first month I took it I gained 15 lbs, the second month I gained 10 lbs, the third month I gained 5 lbs., total of 30 lbs in 3 months and cholesterol way above heart attack level. I stopped taking it because I still had migraines and because of the rapid weight gain. I have never gained more than 5lbs. I was 120-125 most of my life. I gained 5 lbs after having 4 kids. I gained 20lbs each time I was pregnant and lost it quickly. I still have these 30 lbs that I can't lose from this damn nortriptyline. I've been walking 3-4 miles every day for a month now and eat organic when I can. I lost 7lbs. It's taking forever. I don't recommend nortriptyline to anyone. Try something else!!"

SoRo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18 and I've been getting migraines since 5. I'm on 50 mg daily. I started nortriptyline in the beginning of summer because I was get them 2-3 times a week and very severely. I have been off medication all winter and since heat and activity is a big trigger I had to get back on medication. I had been very groggy in the mornings and caffeine wouldn't help I had insomnia and when I did sleep I had nightmares. Those side affects slowly went away with time except the nightmares they still come every once in awhile. I have heart palpitations and my heart rate is usually 130-120. I have also gained a lot of weight, I gained over 10 pounds in a month. I haven't had a migraine in a couple months only headaches which aren't that bad"

Ashleigh D (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm only 19 years old and I'm taking nortriptyline to prevent my migraines . I get these bad migraines everyday and at times I feel like shaving my whole head off because I feel like it's my hair causing it but it's not . Well I've been on nortripyline for 6 months now I still get migraines but not as bad as I use too but I still get them everyday which sucks . But I hate it because I'm suppose to take it right before I go to sleep and when I do I can't sleep anymore like it wakes me up and then I'm up the whole night and I start crying at times because I just want my migraines to go away so I could live a happy normal teenage life . I'm on every day medication I take nortriplyine 10 mg and ibuprofen 600 mg It sucks I hope I get better soon"

Michelle G. July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I thought I'd share my experience as I was madly reading all the reviews on this website before starting this drug. I get it on the NHS in the UK and I take 20mg a day. Taking this drug and combining it with the plan in Dr David Buccholz' book Heal Your Headache has been the closest I've got to a total cure for my chronic severe migraines. There are almost no side effects. It's amazing. A word of caution. At one point when I tried increasing to higher doses above 20mg I had very bad mood swings for a few days. Even when I started from 0 to 10mg I had very bad mood swings for a few days but then it evens out and becomes unnoticeable."

superrsheep (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this medication last year at 10 mg for my migraines. They were so severe I couldn't function and they were almost daily for me. So my doctor prescribed me nortriptyline. It really helped almost immediately. However, about 1 month in I got super groggy and lethargic during the day for no reason. I decided that I would just stay on the medication anyway. I am so glad I did because this medication helps so much with my migraines. I am now on 20 mg and I only get a migraine once a month or less. I would highly recommend for people with chronic migraines."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found the taking nortriptyline was very helpful especially when your head is hurting beyond a 10 . When your in need of some super relief in minutes. "

3823Dinkdink June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 33 have been taking 25mg for the past 4.5 years. I have been getting aura migraines since I was 13. They have always been unpredictable and could never pin down particular triggers. In my early 20s I took sandomigran for a couple years but found I gained too much weight and still got migraines. For the first 4 years -pretty much to the day, of taking nortriptyline I didn't have a single migraine, normal headaches lessened, my irritable bowel syndrome and endometriosis improved and then I got the dreaded aura and a terrible migraine. I have now had 3 migraines in the past 5 months and curious as to why it's not working as effectively as it used too. Side effects: no weight gain, I get a dry mouth all day, lowered libido, restless sleep."

Emma delemma (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking 30mg a night for 7 or 8 years now. It doesn't stop the migraines but it lessens the pain and makes them less frequent. One of the better medications I have tried. Others have either not worked or have had horrible side effects. I tried to go off of Nortriptyline twice now because I do feel it increases my appetite, but both times the headaches got worse. So for me Nortriptyline and Botox shots have been the most helpful."

PeachK May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medicine to take daily to prevent migraines, and I don't know if it worked because it threw me into the WORST depression I've ever dealt with in my life. At the peak of this I had a panic attack so bad I was considering dropping out of college! Luckily I realized that the pill was making me feel this way and as SOON as I stopped it the depressive episodes and anxiety went away. I was on a small dose too. TERRIBLE. BE CAREFUL WITH IT IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY/PREDISPOSITION TO DEPRESSION/ANXIETY"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from migraines since my daughter was born in 1967. I was prescribed Cafergot to take at start of headache. It worked well for each attack, but had a lot of side effects. I would get migraine episodes from once a week to 3 or 4 times a week. While employed, I would have to go to the ladies lounge and rest for the period it too to alleviate the pain. Then my blood pressure got out of control, thereby creating another problem. I was having a lot of nausea and vomiting also. After retiring at 50, a new doctor prescribed Amytriptilyne. Recently a new doc took me off it and migraine returned with a vengeance. I'm now taking Nortriptyline and it has worked wonders! No more migraine at all."

Wifeofgary April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I posted about 2 months ago when I first started taking Nortriptyline, 25mg, once a day. I had a continuous headache day in and out. After taking multiple drugs, Imitrex, Prodrin, Midrin, not much relief. After about 2 weeks on Nortriptyline my continuous headache had diminished, "almost" entirely. I did notice though many afternoons my headache return and I had to take other meds to help reduce the discomfort. I talked to my doctor and he agreed maybe 2x a day would be best. 25mg in the morning and again at night. That was about 3 weeks ago and now, very rarely do I have any headaches, at any time of day. I hope this continues. What a relief. To me, this has been a true wonder drug for my 24 hour headache! No side effects."

bwilla (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After being diagnosed with vestibular migraines about a year ago, I resisted taking any medications. The dizziness and feeling unwell caused depression as I was afraid to go anywhere and get a major dizzy spell that would make me also have symptoms of a stroke ( numb face and arm and difficulty speaking.) I started taking Nortrypraline and stopped after a few days as I was so tired and felt nauseated. My doctor told me to give it a go for a solid month and I'm so glad that I did. After about three weeks I started feeling so much better. Less episodes and when they came on, they were very mild. I'm only taking 10mg but plan to increase to 20 to see if even more benefits are seen once I get the ok from my doctor."

Thekmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About 25 years ago I suffered from debilitating headaches that lasted for days on end with varying intensity, but never quite gone. Upon visiting a neurologist I was told I suffer from Cluster headaches and he prescribed Nortriptyline. I have been taking 50 mg daily at bedtime for the 25 years since. I very rarely suffer from any headache at all as long as I remember to take my pill at bedtime and yes, I do sleep great. Nortriptyine was a godsend for me!"

Prinnie February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My VA. appointed Neurologist has migraines and swears by the use of Nortriptyline, so he prescribe two tablets (10mg) at bed time for headache prevention. Problem is my headaches are more severe than migraines and I have been on it for 1 month. I wake up everyday with severe headaches morning and noon."

TBI Marine (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I'm currently taking four 25mg nortriptyline a night for the past few months this is the only tablet that seems to keep my migraines at bay as I was diagnosed with classical migraines after my MRI scan if I miss one night I will get a migraine the day after every time I cannot miss a night taking them otherwise I pay for it the next day I can have up to 3 major migraines a day but this dosage and these tablets seem to be working for me ."

Cravoo Chris 16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Nortriptyline 25mg for two months. I previously had daily migraines for over a year. No other treatment options worked. The Nortriptyline works! It prevents the migraine from even starting. You have to be good at remembering to take it. If you miss a dose pain can return. I take it one time in the evening. I have only experienced one side effect and that is that it makes me sleep harder. Doesn't make me sleepy though. I would definitely recommend this med to anyone who suffers with migraines that don't have a deeper cause."

1NC318 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had "a" really bad headache for over 6 weeks now. On my right side. I say "a" because it is almost constant, day and night every day. Seldom have I had headaches my entire life. I'm now 60. After 4 visits to a doctor, (the first one prescribed antibiotics saying I had a sinus infection-no help what so ever, the second guy Midrin, same thing). I was prescribed nortriptyline at 25mg once a day by my last visit with a new doctor. It has been 3 days, so not much change, yet. I can put up with any/all the side effects mentioned, if I get relief. I will repost in a week or 2, when hopefully it has kicked in. Scheduled for a CAT scan in 2 days.....we'll see. Reading these posts has given me some hope."

bwilla January 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on nortriptyline for 6 years with two breaks in the middle. I have had severe migraines since I was 13 and have tried several treatment options. The two times I stopped were because it was no longer effective in preventing migraines. During those times my doctor increased beta blockers for 6 months then went back to the regular dosage with nortriptyline. I take up to 100 mg a day but average 50mg. Sometimes I take for granted how well this medication has worked for me. The downsides are weight gain, restlessness and vivid dreams. If you suffer from migraines to the extent I have it is well worth the side effects."

CarolineHa January 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been very effective by almost eliminating my daily pain. When I do experience headache, jaw and neck pain, it's now usually milder than before and easily treated with a pain reliever. Additional benefits include helping me fall asleep easier and reducing the symptoms of a serious sleep disorder. The only negative side effect directly related to this med has been severe thirst requiring me to drink water and urinate very frequently. However this annoying and inconvenient side effect is well worth it. I'm also at high risk for angle closure, but am unsure if it's related. I lived with chronic pain from my mid 20s through my late 30s before starting this medication. I only wish I started taking it earlier in life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 31, 2016