User Reviews for Nortriptyline to treat Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

Also known as: Pamelor, Aventyl Hydrochloride

Nortriptyline has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. 75% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Nortriptyline Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.

Grace April 17, 2021

“I tried a number of different anti-nausea medications and was misdiagnosed about 5 times over the course of a year. I went through cycles of vomiting so bad that I couldn’t eat drink anything for 2 weeks and ended up in the hospital for dehydration. IV fluids helped for about a week or so and then I started getting sick again. Finally my gastroenterologist decided we were going to try 25mg of nortriptyline and within 6 weeks the vomiting nearly completely stopped. I still get sick about once a month give or take but tend to just vomit once and then feel fine. Much better than daily vomiting and gastroparesis brought on due to it. I had been on SSRI’s before but the vomiting occurred on and off of those because they work differently. I also have no side effects unlike other antidepressants. Highly recommend giving nortriptyline a try if you’re having gastrointestinal distress with no known cause.”

Emsly · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 8, 2021

“I have had Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS) since I was a kid, unfortunately it has followed me into my adult life and hasn’t gone away, I take liquid nortriptyline because I hate pills and it seems to work almost instantly however you do have to wait some time when starting it for it to work. I take it every night at bedtime and it has taken my stomach pain away. Only very rarely I’ll get episodes now.”

Seizure · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2018

“IF YOU’RE PRESCRIBED THIS PLEASE BE CAREFUL! This medicine has caused me to have a seizure, an ER visit, no driving until I’ve been seen by a neurologist. I was only taking it for a week before a had my seizure.”

Angel2988 November 20, 2013

“I have had Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome for almost 5 years and I tried many different medications and so far I have been taking these for almost 2 years and I haven't had an episode since! I know the pain I have been through and pray for anyone that has it!”

Anonymous July 16, 2008

“Nortiptyline has helped to make me virtually symptom free for almost seven years. I have cyclic vomiting syndrome episodes but this medicine is a miracle. It has definitely improved my quality of life.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2015

“I began feeling nauseated years ago, out of nowhere. Whenever I ate, I got sick. Even times I wasn't eating, I'd feel nauseated. 'Id get bad migraines that could bring it on or come after the vomiting. So nauseous to the point I was vomiting non-stop and in the ER at least once a month. YEARS went by and nobody could figure it out. After being diagnosed by doctors at Riley childrens (once i turned 18 they stopped talking to me) and doctors at the Mayo clinic, I began taking nortrityline and it has worked MAGIC. My ER visits are down to a few times a year versus every month.”

MattieCakes January 27, 2017

“I have had Cyclic/Chronic vomiting syndrome for 2 years now and I've only just a few months ago got treatment for it. It works very well but I still get nauseous sometimes but haven't vomited since September.”