User Reviews for Silenor

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Silenor.

Insomnia
6.9

Summary of Silenor reviews 6.9 99 reviews

Reviews for Silenor

For Insomnia "I take this around 10 at night and still wake up 3am in the morning. To expensive for me."

dkp51 November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Use to take Ambien but side effect were starting to drive me nuts. Nightmares, almost depressed when waking up. Silenor really saved me. Incredible feeling, like normal sleep. No side effects at all in my case. I'm surprised it's not more promoted."

M. H. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "changed my life - I now stay asleep 7-8 hours and zero side effects"

Little Willie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Caused restless leg syndrome; unable to fall asleep. Miserable nights due to lack of sleep."

Sungold1950 July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I was prescribed 3 mg tablets for insomnia. The first night I took one about 45 minutes before bedtime and did not find it helped me sleep at all. However, I was extremely groggy the next morning and ended up back in bed by shortly after lunch, sleeping for almost 2 hours. I tried it two more times, taking it earlier each time, but the effect was the same: it takes too long to work and leaves me groggy and unable to function the next day. I will not be taking it any more."

blh50 May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Silenor's active ingredient is doxepin. A 90 day supply of doxepin (it will be in liquid form to be mixed with water) costs $12 . I gave this information to my doctor and he prescribed the doxepin. My insurance company is not involved and this has saved me a substantial amount of money. I've been using it for about four years and am very happy with the results."

Snidely Whiplash April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I take oxazepam 30mg as well as bystolic for tachycardia but it also helps put you to sleep. I still had issues going to sleep. I couldn't sleep and my doctor added 6mg of silenor to my routine. Last night I took it, and it says to stay in bed for 30 minutes, well I did not listen, I got up to go to the entertainment room because I thought I was still awake enough to watch some tv, next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep sitting up and it was 7am. It works so well, tonight, I will definitely stay in bed the full 30 minutes to let it kick in. As for the kink in my neck, I'm going to get a chiropractic adjustment later."

Kt.shawzie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Silenor works very well keeping me asleep longer than usual. I normally wake up 3-4 times a night without it. But I have extreme dizziness and headaches the next day. I think I'll go back on my Lunesta because I have trouble functioning the day after Silenor. It is a great medicine but I'm not sure if it's for me."

Dizzylady1012 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well."

Brownchic (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!"

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "This prescription had the opposite effect. It did not help me sleep at all, but made me want to climb the walls. Wasted $44. After insurance payment"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have had severe insomnia for about 3 years. My physician gave me 2 sample packs of 6mg Silenor. I cut them in half to take 3mg as needed. They worked wonderfully and I finally got several good nights of sleep without the groggy feeling in the morning. After the samples were gone, I got my Rx filled and found out my insurance will not cover it. After having been awake for 36 hours straight, out of desperation, I paid an arm and a leg for the Silenor. The first tablet of the Rx worked but that's it. I Increased to taking 6 mg and it still didn't work. Still no sleep. I have given up on Silenor and have gone back to a different insomnia Rx that works sometimes but at least my insurance covers it it only costs me $5."

Robin Magee November 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache."

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I was given a sample pack 3mg Silenor to help with my inability to stay asleep. I followed the instructions and unfortunately it did not seem to work for me. It made me very anxious and agitated during the night. I did sleep but kept waking up. In the morning I was very groggy and unsteady on my feet. I felt like I had been drugged and had a minor headache all day. I do not think I will take it again as it is obviously not the drug for me."

jbg154 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Great product. I never had a problem falling asleep before, I can and always could fall asleep in 2 or 3 minutes. My problem was during the night when I would wake up at 2am and be up for the day. With Silenor I still wake up on occasion but I go right back to sleep. I have been taking it for months now, still works great. Not groggy the next day. If your problem is getting to sleep this might not be right for you. If your problem is staying asleep or falling back to sleep after waking up during the night then Silenor will be a big help."

jimig October 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Difficulty sleeping through nite I did sleep first night but then most of next day on silenor. 2nd night tossed and turned but slept for about 4 hours. Felt drugged the next day. Took 3rd night slept off and on. Felt horrible next day, tired, weak feeling, headache. Also leaves mouth extremely dry. Not going to take silenor any more."

MS407 October 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have had chronic insomnia for 5 years. I struggle to fall asleep, and once I'm asleep, I never sleep longer than 45 minutes - 1 hour without waking up. I take Ambien when I can afford it, so I have to limit myself to only a few times a week. I was given a sample pack of Silenor about a year ago, but the online reviews made me not want to try it. I was desperate last night, so I tried one 3mg. My heart raced and it did not make me sleepy. I took another half 3mg. and finally dozed off about an hour later. The amazing thing is that even though I never felt sleepy from it like I do with Ambien, I actually slept for 3 straight hours on the Silenor. I do have a tiny headache today, so I don't know if I will take it again."

Daisybuttercup (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I have trouble sleeping from 3 - 6 am. I wake up and cannot go back to sleep creating the daytime symptoms of insomnia (see: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/basics/definition/CON-20024293 ). I rarely have trouble falling asleep. I have been taking LIQUID doxepin for 18+ months (along with a 5 mg time release melatonin) - 30 min before bedtime. The LIQUID has to be especially prescribed by your Dr and approved by your drug company. A 120 ml bottle is $79 - with medicare & drug co approval, my out of pocket (last bought in 6/2016) was $7! Much cheaper than Silenor. I am prescribed 0.6ml/night, but sometimes I take 0.5ml or less, & never over 0.7ml (rarely). Doxepin & melatonin work well to help me sleep from 10p-6a!"

asissman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Silenor literally saved my life ! Before a month ago, I never had sleeping issues, but after recently moving in with my boyfriend in an apartment with neighbour's dogs that kept me up all night, there was a 2 week period where I literally didn't sleep at all. I was starting to feel extremely anxious, depressed, and as if I was losing all control of my life. Silenor is non-addictive, which made me feel more comfortable about taking it. I still woke up in the night some nights, but it put me to sleep no problem. It allowed me to get back on track with my sleep and daily routines."

Insomnia01 September 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "My Doctor tried me on 3mg first. Didn't do much at all. 6MG seems to be working much better."

Moose jaw August 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Was taken off ambien and put on silenor. Three times the cost and does not help in the least."

cheryl b (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Doctor recommended I try this after failed medication after failed medication.. So far, it has helped my insomnia drastically!"

George Shilly July 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "I took this to help with my insomnia. I work different hours at the hospital and I haven't been able to overcome the Insomnia on my days off. Silenor has helped me so far, I hope that it stays that way."

Joseph_Smith June 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "Made me extremely agitated and nervous during the night, very disappointed and actually scared after taking it. Very expensive as well."

notsleep (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia "First night I tried a half. Fell asleep but woke up and was wide awake through the rest of the night. 2 nd night took a full pill feel heart pounding numb fingers can't fall asleep now wide awake. Worse then first night."

Shan no sleep June 23, 2016