User Reviews for Silenor

Learn more about Silenor.

Insomnia 91 reviews 109 medications

Summary of Silenor reviews 91 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Silenor

For Insomnia "I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well."

Brownchic (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

For Insomnia "I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!"

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

For Insomnia "This prescription had the opposite effect. It did not help me sleep at all, but made me want to climb the walls. Wasted $44. After insurance payment"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had severe insomnia for about 3 years. My physician gave me 2 sample packs of 6mg Silenor. I cut them in half to take 3mg as needed. They worked wonderfully and I finally got several good nights of sleep without the groggy feeling in the morning. After the samples were gone, I got my Rx filled and found out my insurance will not cover it. After having been awake for 36 hours straight, out of desperation, I paid an arm and a leg for the Silenor. The first tablet of the Rx worked but that's it. I Increased to taking 6 mg and it still didn't work. Still no sleep. I have given up on Silenor and have gone back to a different insomnia Rx that works sometimes but at least my insurance covers it it only costs me $5."

Robin Magee November 15, 2016

For Insomnia "I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache."

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

For Insomnia "I was given a sample pack 3mg Silenor to help with my inability to stay asleep. I followed the instructions and unfortunately it did not seem to work for me. It made me very anxious and agitated during the night. I did sleep but kept waking up. In the morning I was very groggy and unsteady on my feet. I felt like I had been drugged and had a minor headache all day. I do not think I will take it again as it is obviously not the drug for me."

jbg154 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

For Insomnia "Great product. I never had a problem falling asleep before, I can and always could fall asleep in 2 or 3 minutes. My problem was during the night when I would wake up at 2am and be up for the day. With Silenor I still wake up on occasion but I go right back to sleep. I have been taking it for months now, still works great. Not groggy the next day. If your problem is getting to sleep this might not be right for you. If your problem is staying asleep or falling back to sleep after waking up during the night then Silenor will be a big help."

jimig October 30, 2016

For Insomnia "Difficulty sleeping through nite I did sleep first night but then most of next day on silenor. 2nd night tossed and turned but slept for about 4 hours. Felt drugged the next day. Took 3rd night slept off and on. Felt horrible next day, tired, weak feeling, headache. Also leaves mouth extremely dry. Not going to take silenor any more."

MS407 October 29, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had chronic insomnia for 5 years. I struggle to fall asleep, and once I'm asleep, I never sleep longer than 45 minutes - 1 hour without waking up. I take Ambien when I can afford it, so I have to limit myself to only a few times a week. I was given a sample pack of Silenor about a year ago, but the online reviews made me not want to try it. I was desperate last night, so I tried one 3mg. My heart raced and it did not make me sleepy. I took another half 3mg. and finally dozed off about an hour later. The amazing thing is that even though I never felt sleepy from it like I do with Ambien, I actually slept for 3 straight hours on the Silenor. I do have a tiny headache today, so I don't know if I will take it again."

Daisybuttercup (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

For Insomnia "I have trouble sleeping from 3 - 6 am. I wake up and cannot go back to sleep creating the daytime symptoms of insomnia (see: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/insomnia/basics/definition/CON-20024293 ). I rarely have trouble falling asleep. I have been taking LIQUID doxepin for 18+ months (along with a 5 mg time release melatonin) - 30 min before bedtime. The LIQUID has to be especially prescribed by your Dr and approved by your drug company. A 120 ml bottle is $79 - with medicare & drug co approval, my out of pocket (last bought in 6/2016) was $7! Much cheaper than Silenor. I am prescribed 0.6ml/night, but sometimes I take 0.5ml or less, & never over 0.7ml (rarely). Doxepin & melatonin work well to help me sleep from 10p-6a!"

asissman (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

For Insomnia "Silenor literally saved my life ! Before a month ago, I never had sleeping issues, but after recently moving in with my boyfriend in an apartment with neighbour's dogs that kept me up all night, there was a 2 week period where I literally didn't sleep at all. I was starting to feel extremely anxious, depressed, and as if I was losing all control of my life. Silenor is non-addictive, which made me feel more comfortable about taking it. I still woke up in the night some nights, but it put me to sleep no problem. It allowed me to get back on track with my sleep and daily routines."

Insomnia01 September 4, 2016

For Insomnia "My Doctor tried me on 3mg first. Didn't do much at all. 6MG seems to be working much better."

Moose jaw August 13, 2016

For Insomnia "Was taken off ambien and put on silenor. Three times the cost and does not help in the least."

cheryl b (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2016

For Insomnia "Doctor recommended I try this after failed medication after failed medication.. So far, it has helped my insomnia drastically!"

George Shilly July 7, 2016

For Insomnia "I took this to help with my insomnia. I work different hours at the hospital and I haven't been able to overcome the Insomnia on my days off. Silenor has helped me so far, I hope that it stays that way."

Joseph_Smith June 30, 2016

For Insomnia "Made me extremely agitated and nervous during the night, very disappointed and actually scared after taking it. Very expensive as well."

notsleep (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2016

For Insomnia "First night I tried a half. Fell asleep but woke up and was wide awake through the rest of the night. 2 nd night took a full pill feel heart pounding numb fingers can't fall asleep now wide awake. Worse then first night."

Shan no sleep June 23, 2016

For Insomnia "I tried the 3 mg dose last night. I slept worse than when I take nothing. I felt so agitated and miserable. Tossed and turned all night. Will not take it again!"

Needshuteye (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Insomnia "Been using it for about 5 months and it has been a miracle worker until recently. A few weeks ago started having random sleepless nights. This week has been terrible waking up after 3-4 hours and feeling wide awake. Not sure if my body is getting used to it but I thought I'd check the reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I hope this is a fluke because Silenor really had changed my life and even though it was expensive it was worth being able to function the next day."

PHick April 21, 2016

For Insomnia "Worked very well for the first 2 nights then made me toss and turn all night the next 5 nights...way worse a night than if I hadn't taken anything. Not worth Continuing."

Awaken chicago February 23, 2016

For Insomnia "Tonight will be my fourth time taking Silenor. The last few nights I have not had a solid sleep. No problem falling asleep but staying asleep is still impossible. First two nights I had very lucid dreams. Waking up only after a couple of hours as I normally do. I'm only taking 3mg, kind of scared to take 6mg. I've taken many other types of sleeping pills and so far, none of them work. I'd give anything for a solid 6-8 hours."

Haven'tSleptInYears (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc."

J? August 18, 2015

For Insomnia "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

For Insomnia "I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected."

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow."

ann702 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 Next