User Reviews for Silenor

Insomnia
6.7

Summary of Silenor reviews 6.8 110 reviews

Reviews for Silenor

For Insomnia "It is best not to take it."

Grace October 5, 2018

For Insomnia "I tried both the 3mg and the 6 mg to try to sleep and they did nothing for me. I didn’t feel anything and I still had a hard time falling and staying asleep. I didn’t have any side effects but also no sleep. My doctor gave me samples of the medicine to try so I thought I’d give it a hopeful shot but it just didn’t do anything for me."

Needsleep (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Insomnia "Doctor put me on Silenor to help me stay asleep. It isn't habit forming which was a huge concern for me. If I take it according to instructions, 3 hrs no food and 30 mins before bed, I sleep great. I usually get at least 7.5 hrs sleep on it with the waking for restroom at least once but I fall right back to sleep. I don't notice any changes to my mood but I am also on something for anxiety so may help with any potential mood side affects."

AndiM (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2018

For Insomnia "Give your body a few days to adapt to it. Then, no more side effects and works like a charm. Strongly recommend."

Marc4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Insomnia "1. Causes extreme gas pains, bloating, nausea, diarrea in the middle of the night. 2. Doesn't work once you wake up (in pain) 3. Dissolves in your mouth before you can swallow. 4. Causes severe dry mouth. 5. Takes several hours to fully awaken. 6. Mood swings. 7. The working ingredient doxin costs $12.00. This name change costs $498.00!"

Mrwiz (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

For Insomnia "Worst drug ever. Brain fog for days after. Sent me into deep depression from one dose. Extremely expensive for a very old drug. NEVER AGAIN."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2018

For Insomnia "I was prescribed Silenor for insomnia which I battled with for 3 years. I was taking a high dose of Melatonin to sleep but that stopped working when I was going through a stressful period. Took 3 mg of Silenor the first night. Although I slept 5-6 hours , I felt horrible the next day. I felt like crying all day. I increased the dose to 4.5 mg and was able to get 7 hours of sleep but the negative mood became more prominent during the day. I was depressed and miserable. I stuck with it for 2 weeks but my mood was getting worse. I couldn't keep on taking it. I don't know if this is only initial side effects that will go away after a month or so but I personally could not handle the depressive symptoms (major) it gave me so I decided to stop it after 2 weeks only. I felt better immediately even though I am still struggling with sleep... I have to see my doctor and try Trazodone."

GD May 28, 2018

For Insomnia "I've been using Silenor on and off for about 6 months now. I haven't taken it every night; I find what works best is to cycle it on for 2-3 days , with 2 days off where I supplement melatonin (3mg to 5mg) on the day's off if needed. I initially starting using Melatonin 3 mg but I found I was waking up about 1-2 hours into the night with mini panic attacks and hallucinating; but once the anxiety settles and I recognize I'm hallucinating (within a couple mins) the effects wears off and I am able to return to deep sleep for the remainder of the night. I now cut the dose in half (1.5mg) and I've noticed I don't experience the anxiety/hallucinations anymore. I have also noticed that the morning brain fog/temporary memory loss does not bother me nearly as much with the half dose. As for the sleep; once I am able to fall asleep it usually keeps me there. If you wake up, it's only for a small intermittent periods which is minor compared what I used to experience when I wasn't using the medication."

Caveman April 30, 2018

For Insomnia "Did not work for me! :("

Maggie (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

For Insomnia "As long as I wait 3.5 hours after dinner with no snacks I sleep like a baby on Silenor and feel great the next day."

Bubbles (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

For Insomnia "For me, this stuff just does nothing, absolutely nothing!"

Dave402381 February 7, 2018

For Insomnia "I take this around 10 at night and still wake up 3am in the morning. To expensive for me."

dkp51 November 13, 2017

For Insomnia "Use to take Ambien but side effect were starting to drive me nuts. Nightmares, almost depressed when waking up. Silenor really saved me. Incredible feeling, like normal sleep. No side effects at all in my case. I'm surprised it's not more promoted."

M. H. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2017

For Insomnia "changed my life - I now stay asleep 7-8 hours and zero side effects"

Little Willie (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2017

For Insomnia "Caused restless leg syndrome; unable to fall asleep. Miserable nights due to lack of sleep."

Sungold1950 July 28, 2017

For Insomnia "I was prescribed 3 mg tablets for insomnia. The first night I took one about 45 minutes before bedtime and did not find it helped me sleep at all. However, I was extremely groggy the next morning and ended up back in bed by shortly after lunch, sleeping for almost 2 hours. I tried it two more times, taking it earlier each time, but the effect was the same: it takes too long to work and leaves me groggy and unable to function the next day. I will not be taking it any more."

blh50 May 25, 2017

For Insomnia "Silenor's active ingredient is doxepin. A 90 day supply of doxepin (it will be in liquid form to be mixed with water) costs $12 . I gave this information to my doctor and he prescribed the doxepin. My insurance company is not involved and this has saved me a substantial amount of money. I've been using it for about four years and am very happy with the results."

Snidely Whiplash April 7, 2017

For Insomnia "I take oxazepam 30mg as well as bystolic for tachycardia but it also helps put you to sleep. I still had issues going to sleep. I couldn't sleep and my doctor added 6mg of silenor to my routine. Last night I took it, and it says to stay in bed for 30 minutes, well I did not listen, I got up to go to the entertainment room because I thought I was still awake enough to watch some tv, next thing I knew, I had fallen asleep sitting up and it was 7am. It works so well, tonight, I will definitely stay in bed the full 30 minutes to let it kick in. As for the kink in my neck, I'm going to get a chiropractic adjustment later."

Kt.shawzie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2017

For Insomnia "Silenor works very well keeping me asleep longer than usual. I normally wake up 3-4 times a night without it. But I have extreme dizziness and headaches the next day. I think I'll go back on my Lunesta because I have trouble functioning the day after Silenor. It is a great medicine but I'm not sure if it's for me."

Dizzylady1012 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

For Insomnia "I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well."

Brownchic (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 13, 2017

For Insomnia "I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!"

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

For Insomnia "This prescription had the opposite effect. It did not help me sleep at all, but made me want to climb the walls. Wasted $44. After insurance payment"

Anonymous November 19, 2016

For Insomnia "I have had severe insomnia for about 3 years. My physician gave me 2 sample packs of 6mg Silenor. I cut them in half to take 3mg as needed. They worked wonderfully and I finally got several good nights of sleep without the groggy feeling in the morning. After the samples were gone, I got my Rx filled and found out my insurance will not cover it. After having been awake for 36 hours straight, out of desperation, I paid an arm and a leg for the Silenor. The first tablet of the Rx worked but that's it. I Increased to taking 6 mg and it still didn't work. Still no sleep. I have given up on Silenor and have gone back to a different insomnia Rx that works sometimes but at least my insurance covers it it only costs me $5."

Robin Magee November 15, 2016

For Insomnia "I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache."

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

For Insomnia "I was given a sample pack 3mg Silenor to help with my inability to stay asleep. I followed the instructions and unfortunately it did not seem to work for me. It made me very anxious and agitated during the night. I did sleep but kept waking up. In the morning I was very groggy and unsteady on my feet. I felt like I had been drugged and had a minor headache all day. I do not think I will take it again as it is obviously not the drug for me."

jbg154 (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016