User Reviews for Silenor to treat Insomnia

Silenor has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 57% of those users who reviewed Silenor reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Silenor Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Silenor

sunblock40 · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2021

“Took 3 mg last night and not only fell asleep immediately, but stayed asleep for 12 hours. I did wake up twice to pee, but fell asleep right away. Tonight I'm going to try 1.5 mg, as 12 hours was way too long. But I have no sleep hangover and feel great. Hoping that this will be "the one." Tried everything and so far, this one is the best.”

RG October 11, 2020

“I was on Ambien for years. It worked great, but at the time I wanted to get off controlled medications. With Silenor I actually had no problem falling asleep. Couldn't believe it worked. I've tried about every OTC sleep aid and one non-controlled sleep aid (Belsomra). OTC's did nothing and the Belsomra I threw in the trash after the first night taking it. I only recommend it if you like feeling drugged and anxious all night. Also gave me extreme light sensitivity where I couldn't look at my nightlight. So in all, Silenor was a great to help me sleep.”

rj · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

“Not good, had high hopes that this would allow me to sleep better. I wake up every hour at night, can go back to sleep usually with in 5 mins. I tried Silenor twice and last night I woke up more often! and had to pee not fun. I'm not taking anymore”

zanylisa · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2014

“For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49.”

AnnieSmith11 May 13, 2014

“I couldn't stay asleep, tried Lunesta and Ambien, they had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Sleep center said I had mild apnea and said their monitors showed me sleeping but I felt like I was awake more than they said I was and was literally exhausted every day, felt like I was on the verge of "losing it," crying a lot. Was not sad/depressed--was sleep deprived. Have been taking 2 Silenor a night for 2 years: sleep like a baby, 8 hours required, wake up rested, functioning beautifully--I have my life back.”

RG September 14, 2019

“I wanted to take a break from Ambien that I had been taking for sleep problems. I've been on Ambien for over 10 years. I took Silenor every night for 60 days. It felt different than Ambien, but honest to God I slept all 60 nights on it. Good to know it works If I need to go back to it! Also, I did not have any Ambien withdrawals.”

Good to know · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 19, 2013

“This medicine worked beautifully for me; I have no complaints. But when my insurance changed and I couldn't take it any longer, I had to try and go without it. I didn't realize that it had been the source of my weight gain and why I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I tried. After stopping taking it I dropped 10 lbs almost immediately WHILE I WAS ON SPRING BREAK and eating way more than usual and not working out 4 times a week as usual. I'm glad I took it and that it helped me, but I just wanted to share this experience so that others won't mistakenly think that age was causing them to gain weight and not lose it no matter what they tried.”

ToddOne46 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2013

“I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing.”

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

“I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2014

“Silenor was a nightmare for me. I stuck with it for about 3 weeks and thought I was going out of my mind. I did not sleep at all for the first 4 days and then the hallucinations began. If I did sleep it was in for about 30 minutes at a time and then the terrible nightmares kept me awake for the rest of the night. ”

Carol Koe December 2, 2016

“I have had depression, anxiety and insomnia issues for decades, and have tried many approaches for these issues, including psychological, sleep study, endocrine, chiropractic, acupuncture, herbal formulas, homeopathics, aromatherapy, exercise, meditation, diet, and too many depression and insomnia medications to count. While I have had some success, especially with more natural approaches, I found this past several years that NOTHING helped, or it didn't help for long. My doctor recently gave me some Silenor samples to try, and I was absolutely blown away by their efficacy. I took the lower dose of 3mg 30 minutes before bedtime and slept great all the way through the night, 8-9 hours! No side effects, either. I wish I could afford them!”

Bccmor September 8, 2014

“I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not.”

J? August 18, 2015

“I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc.”

M. H. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 17, 2017

“Use to take Ambien but side effect were starting to drive me nuts. Nightmares, almost depressed when waking up. Silenor really saved me. Incredible feeling, like normal sleep. No side effects at all in my case. I'm surprised it's not more promoted.”

Urbangirl · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2015

“This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange.”

blh50 May 25, 2017

“I was prescribed 3 mg tablets for insomnia. The first night I took one about 45 minutes before bedtime and did not find it helped me sleep at all. However, I was extremely groggy the next morning and ended up back in bed by shortly after lunch, sleeping for almost 2 hours. I tried it two more times, taking it earlier each time, but the effect was the same: it takes too long to work and leaves me groggy and unable to function the next day. I will not be taking it any more.”

jjones0409 October 10, 2010

“I have used all known sleepers and other off label medicines for sleepers and I have taken Silenor 6 mg for 3 nights. It is amazing. I fall asleep with no problems and stay asleep for 7-8 hours. No hang over or other side effects. I had been taking Remeron 60mg for sleep, as it was the best of all I had tried. I thought the Remeron was doing an okay job until I tried the Silenor. I am thrilled and feel more rested then I have in years.”

Tired · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

“Have had chronic premature waking for years. Silenor not covered by insurance. $500.00, outrageous for doxepin in smaller dose. Had a compounding pharmacy make 5 mg caps. Insurance then paid part. I paid 10.00. Last night 1st trial. Slept...wait for it...9 hours! Felt little bit groggy but now feel well and awake.”

Snidely Whiplash April 7, 2017

“Silenor's active ingredient is doxepin. A 90 day supply of doxepin (it will be in liquid form to be mixed with water) costs $12 . I gave this information to my doctor and he prescribed the doxepin. My insurance company is not involved and this has saved me a substantial amount of money. I've been using it for about four years and am very happy with the results.”

johns285 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2013

“This medicine was just like taking Benadryl, only more expensive. An hour to two hours after taking Silenor, I still couldn't fall asleep...not even the slightest bit tired. Once I had fallen asleep, I would wake up 2-4 hours later and be wide awake for the rest of the night. ”

BoboPT October 7, 2010

“I have been using Ambien for years for sleep maintenance. I tried Silenor over the last week and it's been fantastic! I don't have any side effects whatsoever in the morning. Slept 7 hours straight every time I took it.”

jimig October 30, 2016

“Great product. I never had a problem falling asleep before, I can and always could fall asleep in 2 or 3 minutes. My problem was during the night when I would wake up at 2am and be up for the day. With Silenor I still wake up on occasion but I go right back to sleep. I have been taking it for months now, still works great. Not groggy the next day. If your problem is getting to sleep this might not be right for you. If your problem is staying asleep or falling back to sleep after waking up during the night then Silenor will be a big help.”

Brownchic · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 13, 2017

“I have been on Silenor since shortly after it hit the market....2011. It has been life changing. I can nap now, and some nights I can even sleep without it, which never happened on any other sleep meds. I will say it took about 4 weeks when I initially started it for it to really do the job-those were a rough for weeks. I also have very good commercial insurance that only requires a $5.00 co pay for a 3 month supply; my old plan used to require $100 for a 39 day supply. Since it is not cost prohibitive, it works well.”

Anonymous October 7, 2010

“I was skeptical since I have tried every possible remedy out there. I was simply amazed that I actually have been sleeping 7 to 8 hours straight without any nasty morning hangover like I had experienced with the others. I can't believe that I could actually take this every night. No addiction!”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2019

“Doesn't do much to help you fall asleep, but helps you stay asleep if you wake up halfway through the night or if you wake up too early and can't sleep. I found that 6 mg added a good 1-2 hours to how long I slept, but 3 mg did not do much. I only take as needed (2-3 times per week). Only real side effect is sedation throughout the day if you get less than 7-8 hours of sleep or if your sleep is disrupted.”

Sunflower · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2018

“My sleep dr. gave me a sample. I waited until I got very sleepy and took it and got right into bed. An hour later, I still wasn't asleep, but I kept lying there. At some point I must have gone to sleep, but I woke up about three hours later needing to go to the bathroom. Went back to bed, slept a couple of hours more and woke up again needing to go to the bathroom. During my "sleep" I had continuous vivid dreams, and I never felt as if really slept. When I got up, I felt bad all day today. I'm not going to give it another chance. I have been on Ambien CR for years, and it gives me an average of 7 1/2 hours of sleep. I wanted to try something new because I need to take an Ambien vacation from time to time b/c I become habituated to it, and it stops working so well.”

AndiM · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2018

“Doctor put me on Silenor to help me stay asleep. It isn't habit forming which was a huge concern for me. If I take it according to instructions, 3 hrs no food and 30 mins before bed, I sleep great. I usually get at least 7.5 hrs sleep on it with the waking for restroom at least once but I fall right back to sleep. I don't notice any changes to my mood but I am also on something for anxiety so may help with any potential mood side affects.”

NopeNotGonna November 9, 2016

“I have been on Silenor for 6 months now. I have a ton of medications that I take for my Bipolar Type IIA with a Panic Disorder. They help, but my mind would never stop so that I could sleep well. I take Silenor with a couple of medications (which I will not list) at night and sleep fine. No side effects noticed, but I take so many medications during the day that I might not notice it. I have been dealing with my illness for about 20 years now, so side effects are not a huge deal to me because most go away after 30 days. Now, if they are too severe, then I will consult my Doctor. You have to give these types of medications a chance. It's not like taking a Tylenol for a headache.”

Learn more about Insomnia