User Reviews for Synvisc-One

Osteoarthritis

Summary of Synvisc-One reviews 5.9 116 reviews

Reviews for Synvisc-One

For Osteoarthritis "Had the Synvisc one injection 3 weeks ago for osteoarthritis in my knee. The pain I had before the injection was nothing to the pain I’ve had since the Synvisc. I had fluid drained from my knee last week and it’s swollen again, like a balloon waiting to burst. I’m allergic to steroids and most pain meds and taking ibuprofen is like peeing on a forest fire. Getting the Synvisc injection was a huge mistake for me and has made my knee worse not better"

Maggiebee (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "I will never do Synvisc-One again. First injection got mild flu like symptoms. Some pain relief, a little better movement and some swelling for about 2 months. Six months later get second injection, got flu like symptoms again, only much worse along with swelling in my knee and no pain relief. Cortizone injections to help counteract the second injection only lasted about a month."

prettyrott (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "I had injections in both knees today of the Synvisc One. This is third time in a year and half. First one injection no problems, no side effects but little sore afterwards for a day. After second one had stiffness and pain for few days. I called office was told to use ice. After three days it was better just little sore. Had third one in both knees today and OUCH! Right knee didn’t hurt much due to it being numbed before they did it. Left hurt. I was sore walking out but ok. About three hours later my knees are stiff, excruciating pain, hurting all the way down to feet, swelling. I cannot get up from sitting position. Cannot bend knees they are so stiff. Walking is horrible and need help with legs not wanting to move. I’m elevating with ice. I need relief "

Mom in pain (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "Had a scooter accident in Bali in 2011 landed my whole body weight on my right knee now I’ve been told I have Chondral degeneration So on 1/3/19 I had the synvisc-one injection done and the doc did a CT scan first but didn’t use an ultrasound guidance to inject. I’ve had the worst experience! This is worse than the accident I think! The pain has been horrendous I ended up on heavy steroids to reduce the fluid build up it was so bad I’m now pushing 5 weeks this Friday and still can’t walk for more than a few hours without it blowing my knee up again I finally thought I was getting better but still I’m suffering. I’ll never ever have another synvisc injection again Seeing knee specialist tomorrow to see if there’s something that can be done to help relieve the pain as I can’t tolerate anything more than anti inflammatories or panadol"

Dani (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "I’ve had osteoarthritis in my shoulder for 3 years and the synvisc injection reduced the pain by 75%. That’s a lot, it’s been 3 weeks and my shoulder is so improved. There are a few drawbacks, it is expensive and it it not covered by my insurance. I’m not sure how long it will last but if I get relief for 6 months, I’m willing to do it twice a year to avoid surgery."

Missy (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "Chrondomalacia in both knees with meniscal tears and loss of cartilage. First two weeks post injection my knees felt great. 3rd week my knees began to hurt again with sharper pain than before. I am currently in the ER because my left leg is so stiff and painful I can't bend or straighten my left leg. Only came to the ER because the right is starting to stiffen up."

Gina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "I had my first injection two weeks ago into my left knee. I started suffering pain immediately after the numbing used during the injection had worn off. The pain I am experiencing is much worse than what I had prior to the treatment. I am having to take anti-inflammatory pain killers just to be able to walk, whereas prior to the treatment I only used them when my knee was sore after being on my feet for a while. I have had ACL reconstructive surgery and my knee has deteriorated over time and this was done in an effort to delay knee replacement surgery. I will not be getting anymore injections."

Rossco (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "This is a miracle. I want it in my whole body. I had 3 rounds of injections in 2010, to avoid knee replacement. I had orthoscopic in 1997 and wanted to avoid time of work for recovery (I'm a waitress and on my feet constantly) my specialist recommended synvisc. I researched it and asked coworker who had tried it. Since the injections my knee has only ached maybe 10 times."

Amyred (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2019

For Osteoarthritis "I got the shot the first time and I had no issues. The second time I had an adverse reaction. Many people on this thread are saying they had chills constant pain they couldn't walk they couldn't get around, their knee blew up and soreness. That is enough adverse reactions. You need to go to your doctor and get the fluid drained off and they have to be aware that you had an adverse reaction. I've been to the doctor twice for that and it has been extremely painful. Really I should have got the medicine in three different doses since I have arthritis so bad but they never really informed me. I had an option so I always took it one dose. No longer. I learned a lot from this last experience and I just want to share with you that if you do have any uncomfortable feeling and swelling, pain and fullness and any other symptoms I described that is an adverse reaction. You may see more and more of these especially if you get it repeatedly so please be careful and be informed."

Pam December 29, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I have had OA for many, many years. Have bone on bone with one clean up 20 years ago. Yes, I need replacements but trying to hold off. I had cortisone and they lasted, maybe a month. Three weeks and one day ago, I had Synvisc1 injections. Yes, they hurt. Yes, the left knee was swelled and painful. But....I woke up this morning, three weeks and one day since my injections..wow!! The pain has been reduced immensely. I can't say how excited I am! Doctor suggested I have a cortisone booster in January...I can do that!!!! I've read comments that some shots lasted 6-9 months. I'll take that. I am a caregiver for my husband and now I have some relief!!!"

Minniekitty (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2018

"I had the synvisc injection and exactly 30 days later my knee was swollen. Couldn’t bend, drive, barely walk. Dr ordered an MRI it was clear. Doctor drained my knee and said it was an allergic reaction to this gel injection. Started to swell again within the hour of having it drained. Call his office and was told this can happen and to just stay off my knee. Ice, ibuprofen. I just don’t understand how I can get an allergic reaction to something that’s been in my body for 30 days. This was a mistake I should have never tried this."

Purplegreengrass (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I had Synvisc put into both knees at the same time as I had arthroscopy on left knee. Both knees felt like they had lumps of concrete in them for 6 mths. They were heavy and my movement was restricted and painful. Never ever ever again !!"

Westie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "55 year old male with arthritic knee. Had one Synvisc one injection July 30th 2018 (Lot number 8rslo11). I was in hospital with infection 2 days later with 3 arthroscopic surgeries to clean out infection. I contracted staph aureus bacteria in blood from injection. I can't walk, I have horrible pain, swelling in thighs, myocitis (muscle inflammation) due to infection. In hospital 20 days. May not be able to have knee replacement in future due to this infection."

Texasathlete (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I have been getting the synvisc one shots for years. The first time I had the 4 shots. After about a month I was doing great.. it lasted about 2 years. Then my next shot lasted about a year. I went to every 6 months with the shots and now I am back to one each year. This medicine is about the best.. it works for me. Thanks to my Doctor and this medicine I am able to keep working and living a normal life."

Paul (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I have bilateral knee osteoarthritis that responded well to cortisone, but after 3 courses, the relief only lasted 1 month. I chose synvisc-one (single injection) and just received my fourth dose. The previous injections lasted 6 months and they are a blessing! Yes, one dose has a lot of pressure, but you are done. I am one of the lucky ones who has virtually had no complications with any injections. I am back to playing pickleball after 48 hours! I strongly recommend synvisc-one when cortisone stops working; to delay surgery as long as possible."

Fat stew (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Had first round of shots in left and right knees last year which lasted 9 months. Due to my limited mobility and obesity Doc recommended I do low impact water aerobics and NO MORE pavement walking. The shots worked with 80 % relief and hardly any sharp pains or clicking only once is a while if I turned funny the knees would "catch" so this med was great! Lost 38 pounds in 9 months now walking on trails again and able to do slow flow and fundamental yoga so have moved up from just swimming! Ready to lose the last 60 pounds! Had second shots today and my legs felt very fatigued walking a mild 20 min stroll tonight. I have a headache and a little nausea but not bad. Doc advice was to get as light and lean as possible in a healthy weight range. I look forward to it - that's my plan. Best of luck and light to us all!"

Trayann (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "It is going on 4 wks and I have severe fluid build up I have called doctors office 4 times and was told to give it time to work ... what advice do anybody have this is making me depressed.. I had this injection on june 14th still no relief"

Nia (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I received 1 shot in my right knee about 2 months ago. I wasn't really in much pain before the shot. I had torn meniscus surgery in the beginning of February and was told this shot would help my arthritis. I have pain in both my knees now, my lower back is in pain, I actually feel worse than I did before the shot. Right knee is swollen a bit and went back to ortho doc who said I have a little fluid build up and to keep taking ibuprofen and if not cleared up in a month he will remove fluid. The only explanation I have is these side effects came from the shot and has not helped me one bit. I wonder if anyone else has these side effects."

countryozgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "On 3/24/18 I had SynVisc One in both knees at the same time. I got a bit flushed, nauseous, and like I would faint right after. Used a wheelchair to get to the car as my legs were very stiff and heavy feeling afterwards. Had a spray cool numbing agent before shots, neither were very painful. Got shots on the outside of both knees which the dr said was usually less painful. One knee got about 90% relief the first week, the other only about 30%. Then I fell on both knees down a concrete step 14 days after injections which didn't help my situation. I waited for 5 weeks after injections, icing frequently mostly for the fall issues. I now had about 40% and 75% relief so on 5/1/18 went for appointment and they suggested a cortisone shot on top of the SynVisc One injection and I had some more relief after that, even though cortisone shots had never helped me before. I got 1 it in both knees, which hurt way more than the initial injection. But it worked. I am now about 85% & 90% relief!!! On 5/28/18."

Dawn May 29, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Had the 3 shots all together , shot worked very well forgot I had the problem that’s how effective however it’s 7 months now n I’m feeling that knife turning again in my knee so going to do it again. I just wish it stayed longer but it’s well worth the shot . No serious side effects .. this shot is a blessing"

Bobbie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Bottom line - I think the Synvisc One really helped the knee joint function but the side effects for me were so bad I will never use it again. Severe osteoarthritis both knees. Had Synvisc One injections in both knees early Dec 2017. The injections were brutally painful - and I’m not normally bothered by pain. Not sure I could bring myself to do it again. I was barely able to walk for 3 days, then developed constant, deep aching pain, swelling and stiffness in both legs from toes to hips that did not respond to ibuprofen or lidocaine patches. Ended up having steroid injections twice to control the side effects. After the last one I lost 6 lbs in 2 days fluid out of my legs. Now it is mid-April 2018 and I can tell the side effects are becoming less - and the mechanical knee joint pain and instability are returning. It’s too bad that I experienced such severe side effects because I think the Synvisc was actually very effective with the joint mobility and pain."

Wobblyknees (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "After reading the reviews of those who have had the Synvisc shots, I am surprised at the level of pain some are describing. My ortho doc did tell me that some people don’t react well, that their knees “blow up”, esp. after the 4th or 5th time, and if that were to happen, to come right back. Maybe I am just lucky - no bad reaction, just pain free. It takes about 4 wks for the injection to take full effect. My first shot of Synvisc One was May 2016. It was not painful to have the shot, as my rheumatologist also used some local with it. Within a month, I was pain free in my knee. I previously was wearing a brace on my knee. Since then, I have had the shot every 6-8 mths in my left knee (from my ortho doc) I occasionally have a “little” pain if I overdo things, but it goes away once rested for a bit. I’ve had the shot 4 times now; just a couple days ago was the last time. Only tiny bruise at the site, and very slight swelling. That’s it. Worth it not to have pain for 6-8 months."

Babynurse March 19, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "I had a 15’ fall through a ceiling and onto a staircase back in 1993. Many years of misdiagnosis, as well as poor MRI imaging in the late 90’s finally improved in 2017. All that time before could be ruined from random pain and swelling to my right ankle. It would make it very difficult to walk. Last year, the new MRI revealed blunt trauma to my right ankle. I knew it was from my big fall and I was curious what the solution would be. The surgeon recommended Synvisc-one. He said that it would give me relief for at least 6 months. It was Feb 1, 2017 when I received the shot and it’s now May 14, 2018 and I’m STILL PAIN FREE."

Daz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

"I tore/obliterated my Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) had my meniscus cut and sewn back together on both sides, had 2 surgeries, drained 30cc of fluid from the ACL joint t one point, and lots of $$ PT. After 2 years after the accident I still was unable to bend my knee fully. I tried regular cortizone shots but they only were lasting a month before the pain would come back. The doctor said it was not good to get a lot of cortizone shots. So I did my research and found this gel. I asked him about it and he agreed that it might be a good try. It maybe took 2 weeks before I started to notice a difference. I was uncomfortable for a few days right after but nothing major. This was all 3 years ago since I had the shot and I have not had one issue since. I'm back to normal and no side effects or signs of slowing down :)"

ks (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2018

For Osteoarthritis "Could barely walk. Osteoarthritis in both knees. Swelling all the time. Did the 3 injections in each knees. The pain was severe for 3 weeks. After then, knees are loosened up, swelling went down. I have a bit more movement, a bit more endurance, and bit less pain. I'm not sure I will go through the 3 weeks of severe pain for the amount of relief. If my insurance didn't cover it, I not have done it. Almost $3000.00 Canadian."

Take it or leave it February 14, 2018