User Reviews for Synvisc-One

Learn more about Synvisc-One.

Synvisc-One Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Synvisc-One to treat Osteoarthritis

"I was told I had osteoarthritis and surgery is not an option on my knee due to my age. I had the cortisone shot in August. It did nothing. Therefore, I had the Synvics-one in March. Oh my god, there ought to be law that ALL doctors should be frank with their patients, who are in severe pain and seek relief. Low and behold, I had the shot which was somewhat painful, but bearable. The first night I was in agony...could not sleep for the pain. It has been a week, and severe stiffness has set in. A friend recommend Blue emu for the pain, and Tylenol. The Blue Emu helps, but the pain (which is as worst as last week) is beginning to subside during the day. At night...just horrible, I awake ever two to three hours with pain! Never!!!"

ADINMEOELN2 March 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I received the Synvisc-One injection in early February in both knees. The injection was extremely painful for one knee. It's a month later, I'm still in pain especially at bedtime. Lots of pain/stiffness in my calves and behind my knees. Not sure if I would receive another injection. Can surgery be worse?"

JDM II March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This injection is only effective if you have mild arthritis. If you have almost no cartilage left it is useless. I wish I had known this before I tried this injection. I have moderate-severe arthritis and got a week or 2 of relief."

Tried it March 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Complete relief for 6 months now. I have taken the shot 4 times every 6 months.no side effects"

Maj735 February 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not really sure. Had a cortisone shot first which did nothing. I then tried the synvisc one. I really didn't have much pain from the injection. I still have pain but it's not as bad as it was. It's been about a week and a half since I've gotten it. From what I've read it may take Month to get full relief. Will report back later."

Anonymous January 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Having lost a quarter shape size of cartilage in my right knee, so bone on bone in that one and in the left knee advanced osteo which hurts more than the right, I know about pain. Synvisc is the best! I take 3 shots over 3 weeks ( 2ml per injection) and it lasts anywhere from 3-5 months. The lasting relief is that I don't get pain from walking or sudden nerve pains in the duration. everyone is different but I just get the shots done, no numbing..that's just silly cuz it's only a needle for God's sake. Yes, I sometimes get swelling after shots but reading some claims about "ruining my life" and "pain" is really foreign to me. I really like Synvisc, it greatly improves my quality of life. My advise is to "suck it up buttercup" get the shots."

Jason O (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first time I had a synvisc shot it worked really well with no side effects. The second time I had a shot in both knees and was in a pain, had cramping in my calves and was pretty miserable for about 2 weeks. Now I have popping in my knees as if the fluid got underneath the knee cap or around that area so every time I walk my knees pop and it drives me crazy. I never had this before I got my last shots, so now not only do I have osteoarthritis due to loss of cartilage I now have another complication with every step. I don't believe I will have another shot, and I wish there was some sort of compensation for this."

Cricketb53 January 5, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"A very pleasant experience, some strange sensations but they were expected. Got the injection December 21, 2016 @ my Ortho's office. Very happy. Used a recumbent bike today at the gym the first time in 6 months without my unloader brace."

McDonell (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had 2 injections over the past year. I am reading many reviews where there is pain when the injection is given! The doctor numbs the knee, but the injection is very painful. This pain lasts several hours and I do have swelling. Once the initial pain and swelling is over, I feel the Synvisc is working. I was having pain up and down the right leg radiating from the knee. That pain is gone and I am able to take my daily walks. I am 62 and led a very active and athletic life. Though I can't run the half-marathons anymore, my daily life is pretty normal with minimal knee pain."

RRN482 December 27, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'd gotten the synvisc 1 shot injection annually the past 2 years. I went in on 10/16 to get a preventative shot and since my insurance deductibles had been met for the year, I wanted to get it before end of year. My knee began swelling up as soon as I got home, with lots of pain. I went in a day later and have him drain it, then a couple days later and had him drain it again. I never got any infection however, the Dr stated that around 5% of the patients will have a bad reaction.. It's now Dec'16 and I still have pain (no swelling, just burning/pain on inside of the knee). Some days worse than others.. some days I can walk without much pain, other days, hurts like hell to walk on it. Also hurts while sleeping.. some night worse than others. NO MORE"

rcz58z (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not sure why all of these negative experiences. 59 years old with osteoarthritis in both knees, bone on bone inside left. Arthroscopic surgery two years ago to clean left helped with swelling and some pain. Taking shots every six months in both knees for two years. Definitely works......... received my black belt in martial arts earlier this year and never would've accomplished that without the shots."

JRPJR** (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Originally I had SynviscOne injection 4/2016, & although it took about 6+ wks for my knees to feel full benefit, I was pain free about 4-5 months. It was great!! (Not everyone experiences the same benefit for the same amount of time, I was told.) I started getting knee pain pretty badly again late Aug & by mid-Sept. I couldn't take the pain so I got steroid injections in both knees. My insur only allows 2 SynviscOne injections/yr. By the end of Oct. the steroid injections had worn off so I got another SynviscOne injection each knee. It's now 6+ weeks later (Dec. 10) & haven't had much relief to speak of. I'm hopeful in next 10 days or so I'll feel more relief, but honestly it's the best med I've had for my knees."

tucsongirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Acute pain and swelling 6 hrs after the injection , unable to walk, difficult to sleep. Can't bend my knee and in absolute agony. Day 5 and my entire life is on hold as it very difficult to move, wish I would never have had the shot- dangerous!!"

Anonymous December 4, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My poor left knee was just ruined, to the point that I had to stay off of it for two weeks, then hobble to the Doctor's office on crutches. Osteoarthritis, the bane of people over 60. I got a shot in the knee (just a tiny sting for a few seconds). This has been like a miracle. I'm not ready to take up tap dancing, but 90% of the pain was gone by the next day. Its just been wonderful, and I'm SO glad I went to the doctor, instead of being stubborn and refusing to go."

Bippo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just experienced my first Synvisc injection yesterday. It was my first time with Synvisc after previously having a cortisone injection in my right knee. The cortisone offered no relief at all, plus I experienced redness in my face and agitation to the point that I couldn't sleep for two days. My initial apprehension with the Synvisc shot was over how the actual shot would feel. Bravery is not my strong point!. I have not had enough time to evaluate how well it works yet but I can already feel an improvement. They drained a lot of fluid from my knee beforehand which I hear helps it work. The actual procedure and shot was virtually painless. The P.A. took his time and honestly, I didn't even feel a little pinch. I was very very pleased."

BigJoeD57 November 5, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was geting corizone shots every 4 months to stop the pain but doctors said it was too often. Had 1st synviscone shot may 18 and it has given my life back.no pain and a lot of functionality. Getting second shot this week after 6 months."

rst123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Knee surgery in March for(I was told)severe Arthritis and two Meniscus tears. The recovery and therapy was awful! My doctor kept giving me Cortisone shots, then he suggested the Synvisc, I finished the Synvisc treatments in July and I STILL have horrrible pain daily! I can't sleep through the night without the pain, unable to stand on my own without holding on to something, and every visit to a store, I look for a basket, just to have something to hold on to. The surgery was a FAIL and all the doctor will say is "you had extensive arthritis, I had to do a lot of work once I got inside of your knee". I am no longer able to straighten my knee out, I can't walk straight which has now thrown my back out of whack! It didn't work!!!!!!!!"

MsCltb (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had plica band arthroscopic resection done and had post op cortisone injections which only lasted one month. I then went back for Synvisc One injection which lasted four months. I'm going back for an other injection of Synvisc. It really helps in my case anyway."

Pep9876 October 25, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had about 4 rounds of both knees with synvisc one. I have cortisone shots done at same time. My Dr. Is great. He sprays a cooling spray first then numbs one side. Does the same to other side. He then injects cortisone and synvisc one with just one needle. Doesn't hurt really. I always ask for the cooling spray! Lol!! I guess everyone at this office asks for the cooling spray."

anderson61207 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have always been a very active person. But I started to get a bulge around my left knee. Really not painful untill I got back into heels. Then it ached. . So I stepped down to my sneakers. If I did extreme lifting and carrying cases of water upstairs thet would ache. But I started hearing the grinding of my knee. I made an appointment with ortho doc.,got MRI done of my knee. I needed a knee replacement! But I wasn't ready yet even though I am getting up there, I surprise people all the time with what I still do. ......Got the shots,one in each knee. No big deal. 6 weeks later,I cannot walk,using crutches,in enormous pain. Knees so swollen and hard. Can't bend them. What do I do now?"

Lovemycats33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been receiving Synvisc injections approximately every 6 months for last 3+ years. They help tremendously. There is always a little soreness and swelling of the knee for about a week after injection but then I get 6 months of pain free activity. That's a pretty good trade-off if you ask me."

Nan - 56 y/o female (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Finally had my second injection of 2016 Synvisc, why did I waited for so long? Surgeon treated my right knee with Synvisc over 5 years ago during surgery, however un-sucessfully rebuilt my right knee. Was unaware of the relief that Synvisc drug possesses. I was in constant pain with both of my knees right being the worst, sometimes a 10, don't get me wrong Synvisc did not cure pain it still happens from time to time but no spikes and so far no 10's!!!!!!! I had double meninscous tears, ACL tear and osteoarthritis right knee. Left is not too much better but ACL intact, sometimes a 6 but not 10 like right was. Only pain was a normal blood draw my Doctor froze area, I sat up to watch injection. Immediate relief stayed off knee as requested"

Thomas Seelbach (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For years I have been in so much pain in my knees and legs that I can hardly walk and spend most of my time sitting on the couch. My doctor used a numbing spray and the shots weren't painful. However by the time I went to bed both knees were hurting so much I had trouble sleeping. My right knee was bone on bone and hurt the most. Now both knees hurt just to sit, my bones, muscles and tendons hurt; I can't straighten my legs. I have to have help to stand up from a sitting position. Walking is agony, so I'm still sitting on the couch but now I'm in constant pain. There is no relief. My legs hurt at night while I'm sleeping. I am also so tired I can hardly stay awake and I am extremely nervous and shakey. Getting out of bed is a nightmare."

tresvick September 26, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Last month Aug 24th my left knee operation has done for meniscus tear. Post operation doctor suggested synvisc one. It's cost 17991 rupees in Vijayawada. I was shocked finally I got the injection on my left knee. Before going to injection I red all the reviews in websites about the injection I feel like it badly hurts. After this all those things finally yesterday 20th Sep 2016 went to hospital taken the injection there is no pain and all like small mosquito bite. Thanks"

Mahesh katragadda 442 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had the Synvisc-One shot in early May, hoping to be able to dance at my Granddaughter's wedding. I had been walking 2 miles a day, five times a week before I had the shot. Within 72 hours, I was in horrific pain. I sent my husband out to get a walker. 3 weeks later, I wore a knee brace to the wedding, with a tens unit beneath it to mask the pain. When I called the doctor, he prescribed pain medication. I didn't get it filled. I will not get hooked on pain meds. I have a friend I taught with get hooked on pain meds, and it wasn't pretty. Anyway, it is now the end of August, and I still have pain in my knees just sitting in a chair or lying in bed. Wished I had read these reviews BEFORE having the shot!!!!!!!"

Granjan7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2016