User Reviews for Synvisc-One

Learn more about Synvisc-One.

Synvisc-One Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 228 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Synvisc-One to treat Osteoarthritis

"2nd Shot of Synvisc in 8 months. I had worse knee pain and discomfort and develop severe muscle hip pain. A $1000 a shot!! I feel that originally I had minimal relief but feel that this drug is overrated. I had to have a Cortisone shot which gave me comfort and relief from severe pain and it was only $20! If need be I can get one every (3) months but most people will receive the injection every (6) months. A new drug is going to be released soon after it's trial and it is called Ampe. I am hoping that it will be successful. No one wants to get their knee replaced and it is a final result . . ."

audio217 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After making the mistake of reading reviews of this treatment on a few sites - I felt I had to share my experience. What I had read scared me and made me pretty anxious. First off - about me. Mid 50s - way overweight and the knee I was working with had torn cartilage removed in late 80s. Didn't work. Now bone on bone and it crunches when I bend or move it wrong way I had the Synvisc 1 treatment 2 days ago and it started with a needle for the freezing. Then a needle for the steroid. Finally the S1. When it was done, I felt good - no pain or anything so I attributed that maybe to the freezing. Pain is now almost gone - very little bone crunching. GP said 2-3 wks for full potential. Cant wait. I recommend but every individual is different"

Canada Fat Guy (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I received the synvisc one injection 3 months ago, it did not help my pain ,it causes me more pain and suffering. I barely can walk or sleep. The back of my knee after waking up to start my day, I can't bend my knee without extremely pain. A week after injection I had started dragging my leg because the pain is unbearable. How can I have this injection removed from my knee. I can't live with this very very very very bad pain from the synvisc one injection. the back and front of my knee is agony."

I don't have a nickname June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm not entirely sure which Synvisc injection I just received in both knees, perhaps Synvisc-One as the physician said it could provide pain relief for up to 6 months... I was, periodically, taking Ibuprofen when my knee pain flared up. Anyway, immediately after he injected both knees they felt much better. I thought, maybe, there was some type of Novocaine combined with the injection, but I think the pain relief was most likely just the Synvisc. It's now been almost 48 hours since the injections and I would say my pain reduced dramatically and immediately. I hope it does last for up to 6 months. Your "mileage" may vary, but I hope it works as well for you as it seems to be doing for me. -Nat-"

Anonymous June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had this injection, and I am now very crippled. The pain is intense. I cannot recommend this treatment. I wish I had never done it. Insult to injury it is expensive, and I am stuck paying for it."

Sierrafox (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my first Synvisc-One injections in both knees 4 weeks ago. Had the recheck with the Ortho today. Pain improvement took 3 days. Some mild heat and swelling the day after but didn't last long. Injection site was a bit painful for about 3/4 days but completely tolerable. The Dr's projection is that I should get 6 months out of. These injections help me tremendously! My knees aren't 100% but never will be again anyway. My mobility and pain level improvement is easily 60% if not a bit more. I'm thrilled! Ortho specialist has recommended bicycle or eliptical as appropriate exercise. Very happy there has been this much improvement in such a short time!"

jamaicaluvin (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had one problem since I was 10. Patella dislocations. I am 43 and had a partial knee replacement already. They knew that had not had any surgeries and recieved the SYNVISC shot. The worst pain ever. Someone had to hold my leg. I could barely stand and limped in horrible pain. My leg has a big bruise and knot where the shot was administered and the pain had been the same. Praying the pain subsides but I don't have months to wait for relief.I don't think I'll be getting another. The pain had me crying on the bus ride home and I have a high pain tolerance."

Busy Bronx Gamma (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The cost was $2000 for a single injection and there was no improvement in my level of pain. I would like to know if this charge is normal for this product. Just because Medicare paid for it doesn't mean there shouldn't be value received."

Minnieddo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I too, had a similar experience. My first injection given to lateral knee site with mild stiffness and pain. My second injection given to inner part of knee with severe stiffness and pain, this was Wednesday. I called the doctor to report my symptoms and he prescribed Toradol on Friday same week. I've been limping struggling to get around with minimal relief and the swelling and stiffness is still there. I also had a low grade fever. It's now Sunday and I will be calling my doctor on Monday. I wondered if it was because of the different location, but I don't know. I watched a video on the internet by a doctor explaining and performing the injection procedure. He said the injection needs to be given in a very precise area of knee laterally preferred."

Bern d May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"1st injection= mild swelling then relief. Injection 2 = intense swelling and pain. Synovitis. Had to get a steroid shot. Injection 3= they felt maybe the 2nd injection was in the wrong place and wanted to try again I did. Worse swelling and pain. It is not a suck it up buttercup thing. I am an ironman and have had surgeries. This is abnormal and swelling to the degree of not being able to bend my knee to 90 degrees. Nor straighten. It is painful and tight. Bad reaction not good and not normal. Now I will be at the Doc Monday 72 hrs post injection b/c I am so swollen I can hardly function. He will draw fluid off and give me a steroid injection. This is awful anyway - too common."

Trifitgal (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first two nights, I could sleep on my side without pain, but the third night I could not and the third and fourth mornings I woke up with sharp pain in both knees making it difficult to walk. This is actually worse than before I had the injections. Am I expecting too much? When can I expect the pain to go away or at least not be present with every step I take?"

Jonnithan (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I need bi-lateral knee replacement but due to being only 50 we are trying to put it off if we can. Had both knees injected April 24/17. No numbing used and the injections were quite unpleasant. I'm on day 4 and feel minimal difference in the right knee and still have dreadful pain in the left. Unless something changes in the next couple of days I most likely will not do this again. Have opted to get the surgery."

L.Dub April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Its been 3 weeks since my first Synvisc One injection in both knees, left knee unbearable pain since day of injection. Pain in places I didn't have before. Pain behind my knee and down my leg, can't sleep, walk or barely drive without pain. I am a professional dog walker and this was supposed to help not hurt. Will never get again! (I'm 42, severe bone on bone arthritis in both knees, have had 4 years of cortisone injections every few months, and take anti inflammatory prescription daily, have tried physical therapy 3 times) I guess I will just wait for knee replacements, and put my life on hold until then."

AmyJo Dog Walker (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The pain went away for about 2 weeks and then the pain came back strong. I think the Synvisc one doesn't do what they say it does. There needs to be another form of injection without having to go to the doctor 5 weeks in a row that will last a true six months this Synvisc one shot was not worth the money that they charge the health insurance and myself"

Cooper992 April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cost me $700.00 and it did absolutely nothing. Waste of money. My Mom and cousin had the same results."

GZach April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was told I had osteoarthritis and surgery is not an option on my knee due to my age. I had the cortisone shot in August. It did nothing. Therefore, I had the Synvics-one in March. Oh my god, there ought to be law that ALL doctors should be frank with their patients, who are in severe pain and seek relief. Low and behold, I had the shot which was somewhat painful, but bearable. The first night I was in agony...could not sleep for the pain. It has been a week, and severe stiffness has set in. A friend recommend Blue emu for the pain, and Tylenol. The Blue Emu helps, but the pain (which is as worst as last week) is beginning to subside during the day. At night...just horrible, I awake ever two to three hours with pain! Never!!!"

ADINMEOELN2 March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I received the Synvisc-One injection in early February in both knees. The injection was extremely painful for one knee. It's a month later, I'm still in pain especially at bedtime. Lots of pain/stiffness in my calves and behind my knees. Not sure if I would receive another injection. Can surgery be worse?"

JDM II March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This injection is only effective if you have mild arthritis. If you have almost no cartilage left it is useless. I wish I had known this before I tried this injection. I have moderate-severe arthritis and got a week or 2 of relief."

Tried it March 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Complete relief for 6 months now. I have taken the shot 4 times every 6 months.no side effects"

Maj735 February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Not really sure. Had a cortisone shot first which did nothing. I then tried the synvisc one. I really didn't have much pain from the injection. I still have pain but it's not as bad as it was. It's been about a week and a half since I've gotten it. From what I've read it may take Month to get full relief. Will report back later."

Anonymous January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having lost a quarter shape size of cartilage in my right knee, so bone on bone in that one and in the left knee advanced osteo which hurts more than the right, I know about pain. Synvisc is the best! I take 3 shots over 3 weeks ( 2ml per injection) and it lasts anywhere from 3-5 months. The lasting relief is that I don't get pain from walking or sudden nerve pains in the duration. everyone is different but I just get the shots done, no numbing..that's just silly cuz it's only a needle for God's sake. Yes, I sometimes get swelling after shots but reading some claims about "ruining my life" and "pain" is really foreign to me. I really like Synvisc, it greatly improves my quality of life. My advise is to "suck it up buttercup" get the shots."

Jason O (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first time I had a synvisc shot it worked really well with no side effects. The second time I had a shot in both knees and was in a pain, had cramping in my calves and was pretty miserable for about 2 weeks. Now I have popping in my knees as if the fluid got underneath the knee cap or around that area so every time I walk my knees pop and it drives me crazy. I never had this before I got my last shots, so now not only do I have osteoarthritis due to loss of cartilage I now have another complication with every step. I don't believe I will have another shot, and I wish there was some sort of compensation for this."

Cricketb53 January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A very pleasant experience, some strange sensations but they were expected. Got the injection December 21, 2016 @ my Ortho's office. Very happy. Used a recumbent bike today at the gym the first time in 6 months without my unloader brace."

McDonell (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had 2 injections over the past year. I am reading many reviews where there is pain when the injection is given! The doctor numbs the knee, but the injection is very painful. This pain lasts several hours and I do have swelling. Once the initial pain and swelling is over, I feel the Synvisc is working. I was having pain up and down the right leg radiating from the knee. That pain is gone and I am able to take my daily walks. I am 62 and led a very active and athletic life. Though I can't run the half-marathons anymore, my daily life is pretty normal with minimal knee pain."

RRN482 December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'd gotten the synvisc 1 shot injection annually the past 2 years. I went in on 10/16 to get a preventative shot and since my insurance deductibles had been met for the year, I wanted to get it before end of year. My knee began swelling up as soon as I got home, with lots of pain. I went in a day later and have him drain it, then a couple days later and had him drain it again. I never got any infection however, the Dr stated that around 5% of the patients will have a bad reaction.. It's now Dec'16 and I still have pain (no swelling, just burning/pain on inside of the knee). Some days worse than others.. some days I can walk without much pain, other days, hurts like hell to walk on it. Also hurts while sleeping.. some night worse than others. NO MORE"

rcz58z (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2016