User Reviews for Hydrocodone

Also known as: Hysingla ER, Vantrela ER, Zohydro ER

Learn more about Hydrocodone.

Hydrocodone Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1830 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Hydrocodone to treat Pain

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "My pain Dr started me on 10mg x 2 per day after a few years on 7.5 hydros 4+x per day. After the 1st week, and some withdrawal symptoms, they give no relief. Maybe Dr started me too low mg and see him next day. I hope he ups mg to at least 15 and 20 probably will be better. He said he can add the old hydro for breakthrough pain but at this point I feel at least two 7.5mg per day and that's only 2 less than before. He should go to 20mg 2x per as I have a bad spine from head to tail, facet arthritis, Spinal stenosis, Spondylolisthesis, deteriorating disk and spinal neuropathy....I'm through...I covered them all!!"

scubatom August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "I've been on this medication for about 4 months now and I can honestly say it has helped in giving me my life back. I have stage IV Endometriosis, a bulging disc that's pressing on nerves in my L4-L5, sciatica, and cervical pain. Before this medication I was on Nucyneta ER which was crap. I now go to a great pain doctor who promised me that I will get my life back and they have kept their promise. I take Zohydro 15mg 2x per day and Narco 750 for breakthrough, and flexeril at night. I am now able to sleep at night and make it through the days mostly. I pay $15 copay because of a prescription card and insurance. My insurance denied it at firs but my doctor advocated for me to them and they now cover it. I hope this helps someone."

SammyMone (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "Best product on the market, period."

TuriSal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "I have been taking the Zohydro 50 for about 8 months now. I started off with the Hyslinga 80 mg but it was not lasting the full 24 hours so my Pain Dr. put me on the Zohydro 50mg twice a day. For the most part it has worked well... I loved the fact that I did not have to take 6 pills a day to try to manage my pain.. And I will say the Zohydro worked a lot better that taking all those pills. My last appointment I got my prescriptions and took to the pharmacy only to find out that my insurance company... Blue Cross/Blue Shield... Yes I am blasting them... Ended up having to go back on the Hydrocodone 10mg 6 times a day and it is NOT working... In CONSTANT Pain... So upset about this!!!"

KIMBERLEA ORSON August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "My Doctor switched me to Hysingla 40mg from norcos 10/325 , and I'm in so much pain. I don't want to have to take anything, but I don't have a choice because of chronic pain. But I want to go back to Norcos. they work better!!"

Dmccoy1964 July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "This is the only drug that works for me. It lasts longer than Vicodin HP 10/300s and there are no ups and downs, just constant pain relief with no noticeable side effects (I've been taking pain meds for years, though). It's a miracle for me! I am using the new formulation and it does work, but I have to take it 3 times a day since they only last 7 hours, not the 12 it says it should. I have one dose of short-acting for breakthrough pain every day. I'm using the discount program and it is still a high price, I'm worried about affording it! :("

Pashta (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "I have 3 herniated discs, spinal stenosis and osteoarthritis. I suffer from constant pain every day. I've been on norco 10/325 4x a day for 3 years now and never abused my medication. A few months ago my doctor had me to try Hysingla ER 40mg. This medication only last about 17hrs and gave me about 30-40% relief with random breakthrough pain. Plus I felt lethargic the entire day, nauseas, constipated, anxious excessive yawning. After putting up with it for two months I talked with my doctor and he switched me back to the Norco. So disappointed. I had high hopes for this medication since it was one pill every 24hrs. it just dose not work as promised and is expensive."

tonye320 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "This medication works very well and I've had no side effects that I wasn't already having by taking Norco. It's very effective and keeps my pain from getting too high so I don't require a lot of other pills to bring my pain level down. The only thing I don't like is that my insurance declined my coverage stating they didn't feel it was needed. How my INSURANCE can determine that is crazy. My doctor prescribed it for a reason. Love this medication. I'm able to function and work and am never sleepy at work."

Chronic Pain, 2 fusions (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "Been on Hysingla 6 months now; this is my 3rd posting about the experience. I'm using 40 mg ER and have given up. Just too darn tired all the time and 12/24 hours still in back pain so what the hell, I'm gonna ask the Dr to put me back on 10/325 Percs 4 times daily."

Injunhead (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I ate food before and during my first dose. I felt nauseous and had a headache an hour later. 7 hours later I vomited my dinner I ate 30 minutes before. Never had side effects like this before with other pain pills. However, the dull pain in my jaw subsided, so I guess it did its job."

Wisdom Teethless (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "Due to the new laws passed that are taking effect in 2017 your doctor can no longer prescribe the massive amounts of opiates they had been for years. In my state now, first time for pain management (like having a surgery for example) is 3- days maximum. After that 7- days maximum can only be prescribed except in some listed situations such as end term cancer patients. They must change from the short acting narcotics to the 24 hour release, which is meant to stop addiction because you don't get the high rush from the extended release. I suggest you all research your own States new prescribing laws and contact your representative. You will soon all need to deal with this. Most like me, with zero notice. The drug works okay, w/zero "high"."

Moonsocket June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "My Doctor switched me to this, no reason given. I'm 58 I have had Renal Cell Cancer, I have 1 kidney left . Heart Disease, Diabetic, Discs are gone, I am not a surgical candidate due to my health. I have never, taken illegal drugs nor have I failed a random urine test, pill count etc.... But, because of what other people do, I am grouped into that stereotype ... It's embarrassing, humiliating, not everyone is a addict or looking for drugs . But this is the worst drug, I have ever tried..."

Non addict May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zohydro ER (hydrocodone): "I have taken many different pain relievers since a gunshot wound in 1995...OxyContin, Morphine, Dilaudid, Fentanyl, and Norco. I have finally found one that works perfectly for me. Zohydro ER 40 mg, with Norco 10mg for breakthrough gives me excellent pain relief. Although the Zohydro DOES NOT last for the entire 12 hrs, the Norco steps right in there and does the job. I am able to work, eat, drive, and sleep. I wouldn't trade it for the others I have taken because their positives do not outweigh their negatives as with the Zo's. I started on the Zo ER 15 mg about 2 yrs ago, and have gradually been upgraded to 40 mgs. I'm satisfied, so no need for 50 mg as from now."

MzPreacher (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "my hair is falling out by the handful!"

crazycatladyjulia (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "This is an update to my posting late Jan. Now after 4 months of titration I'm at 40mg. But disappointed. I could sleep 12 hours each night if allowed to, constantly tired. And taking a new hysingla pill every 15-18 hours for bleed-through pain. Definitely missing my old four times a day Percs, but I'd be doubling up on those too I'm sure. So Dr says live with it. Pain level at 2. But never any better. And that's disappointing. Dr won't go higher."

Injunhead (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "update. took hysingla 30 mg for 1 month, with 10/325 norco. Hysingla A.M. gave severe headaches and nausea. I switched to 10pm and now I wake up less stiff, but can't tell diff during day. I still do norco every 4 hours. I had caudel epidural injection today. It was supposed to be my follow up appointment too, but never chance to speak to PA about new hysingla. She mentioned last month if I tolerated it well, she may increase does to 40mg. I've tried to research 80 mg per day total, but cant find answer, I know thats what she'll look at. I'd like to call and ask about getting hysingla corrected to 40 mg for this month instead. I hate to waste money for no improvements again. I won't know if caudel worked for few days yet, all other injections only lasted 1-2 wks. answers??"

imbolegma (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "Just started hysingla er 30mg but with norco 10\325. The pain Dr and I have been trying several IR and ER pain relief medicines. I have chronic pain after back surgery l5-l3, plus fibro and arthritis. So I hurt from head to toe literally. I won't give up norco until I know new meds work. That's our agreement. I have had only 3 days on hysingla. I tried mornings but it kept me up that nite so switched to 9pm I think it peaks about 10-12hrs in. I sleep ok. I need to be able move normal again during day! I really can't tell I'm taking it as I'm still taking norco every 4 hrs. They're not great either but least it works somewhat on back pain. I noticed on the 2nd day I'm starting to itch. If it doesn't let up I'll have call Dr office for something else. I hope not I'd like to give full month trial. May be it is too low dose for me."

imobilegma (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Hysingla for two months now 20g then 30mg and I'm starting 40mg tomorrow so far nothing is happening it isn't working at all I'll update in two weeks on how the 40s work I am extremely intolerant to opioids Percocet, Vicodin, oxycodone, oxycontin etc etc after 4 to 5 days I begin throwing up violently but I haven't had issues with this med so far."

RafaelM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "I haven't taken this Rx for long but it definitely is *not* the best option if you have no breakthrough meds. I'm on 30mg which is to last 24 hours. I'd say it does for 18. It's not horrible but I do think people will keep complaining until they are on a higher dose. The oral bioavailability of this drug is actually lower than Norco. I take Norco 10/325 tid and combined with the Hysingla it's not the worse... but I feel little relief during the day. It does however help me a bit at night. I think docs need to give higher doses than what they are of this med because it's a 24 hour med... 30mgs in 24 hours is not a lot. Well, at least I have my Norco 10/325 to help. Also, I think this med would work better if taken twice daily! But not the worst med!"

Kyle210 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "Pain Dr gave this to my son that lives in chronic severe pain for a year then his insurance changed and He couldn't afford $600 a month . He always told me, Dad, this stuff doesn't help with pain at all and when he gradually ran out he DID NOT HAVE Any WITHDRAWALS from not having it! If it had worked he certainly would be missing it!"

Smitty 2 February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "Everyone complaining about headaches and worse pain need to toughen up and wait two weeks before giving up on Hysingla. The headaches and increased pain I think are from Norco "withdrawal". Your brain just needs a week to adapt to the new dosing. Those complaining about it taking a long time to start working or not being consistent are of course correct. No XR meds are perfect but they prevent turmoil caused by peaks and valleys of IR meds...and that is worth it long-term. Give Hysingla a chance. The worst thing about my experience is that during titration the doctors are following guidelines to "round down" from their Norco dose. That's backwards, the does should be higher with any XR."

LongTimePain (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "I have just started this medication 120mg once daily, was on oxycontin er 80mg 2x day, with morphine 30mg 3x day as needed. I have multiple disc herniations/stenosis all three areas of the spine, failed cervical fusion,tendenonites left and right shoulder, knee etc.I have had multiple pain issues since the age of 30, and have had other pain treatments including injections, bilateral rhizodamies,gangliotimies. Granted I have just started this rx after my insurance carrier decided not to pay for oxycontin 80mg bid,. I've gotten pretty good relief so far, since I was truly hesitant after reading these reviews, but so far it is no better or no worse than oxy 80 . Have had no major side effects so I'm pretty satisfied so far."

mr302 (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "My medical Internist prescribed this medication for me. I've taking it for three months or 2.5 months. I've noticed the medications doesn't work that much and I would have to take Norco 10/300 for breakthrough pain, because I could just stop taking this medication cold turkey , I would have serious withdrawals that could be deadly. So he started me on Norco 10/300 1 every four hours to prevent withdraws. I noticed my weight had started to increase- I was 128lbs 5'4 and noticed my weight has increased to 140lbs and it all butt an thighs....I'm so insecure about my body, I don't feel right. My husband told me it shouldn't matter just as long as he loves and likes my body...I love him so much...but there's me on the inside that yells out"

GsanG (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taken morphine for my pain, 80 mg twice a day, and Norco for break thru pain. My doctor and I agreed to try Hysinglaer. It worked fine for 2 days, then on day 3, I started to have abdominal pain which spread down to my original pain. Day 4, it got worse, I called Perdue and talked to their pharmacist. He confirmed that abdominal pain is one of the side effects but could not tell me of how long it would last. Day 5, it got worst, I had to take Norco to ease the pain and slept most of the day. It is an expensive drug, my copay on 120 MG was $475."

Sam J. (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Hysingla ER (hydrocodone): "I was on Percocet 10 / 325 mg for about 10 years, and I asked to switch first to a bupephrine patch, which I was too terribly allergic to and had awful withdrawal symptoms from, and then I asked to switch to hysingla because I felt like a pill Junkie and disliked the high/low cycle. Plus, I was starting to cheat and take two each morning of my 4 per day allotment. With hysingla, I had to endure titration to get the right med strength so started out with 10 mg for two weeks. I barely felt relief. Then moved up to 20 mg for two weeks but didn't feel too much difference from 10mg. Then tried 30 mg for two weeks and I could tell it was working but not well enough, so now moving to 40 mg. Hopefully this will be the trick."

Injunhead January 23, 2017