User Reviews for Mucinex

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Mucinex.

Mucinex Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 575 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Mucinex to treat Cough

"Out of a dozen over the counter and homebrew/natural remedies for persistent cough (which lasted well after any other symptoms of the cold virus/mild flu that I experienced a month or more ago) that I tried, Mucinex DM is the only one to give me any real relief from an urge to cough thru the day. I sleep just fine but don't feel anything like post nasal drip, or acid reflux or any obvious culprit. I did go to the clinic that I could afford to, got a shot, an inhaler and an antibiotics script. That worked a bit, for about a week, but when the cough came back, Mucinex did just about the same job. Not a perfect solution by any means but when I compared it to the other brands of things tried it was fine"

AnonymousScott October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a Cough, runny nose, allergies, Then lungs got congested and major wheezing. Normally I will just take cetirizine when its allergy season, but this time my chest was in play. I looked all over the house for my bottle of Mucinex. Couldn't find it. I suffered for a couple of days with a nasty cough and gook in my lungs trying to sleep and make it through the day. After realizing I left it at our 2nd home I headed for the store. Bought the 1200mg time release (1st time), usually, I would get the 600mg. Within an hour the wheezing stopped. I am writing this comment because it works fabulously for me. I have told many of my friends and it has worked for them. Not one complaint. When I have chest congestion I will always take Mucinex. It truly works. For those that say it doesn't work, I find that hard to believe."

Matteo B (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Mucinex for many years with no ill effects, but during this latest bout with chest congestion, when I took it , each of the three times, I experienced horrible, horrible nightmares. My adult daughter had a similar experience when taking it a few months ago. Was this a new "batch" of ingredients or were alternatives used? I have no idea what might have caused this reaction, but I am very wary of trying it again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took one and I feel like I'm high. I am so dizzy I can't see straight I feel like I'm floating. There is no way am I taking this again."

Super dizzy never again May 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Mucinex DM worked as advertised. It gets the job done after about 3-4 days of taking it."

Anthony M (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gave me diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, and even some numbness in tongue/face. Worse than the cough. Never again."

Jo731 January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The doctor gave me a sample of this when I complained of congestion. I took two tablets, which may have been too much since I developed the runs. I'll try it again, but only one tablet. Or, I may just get Robitussin since the doctor said that Mucinex is a magnified version of Robitussin."

CongestedKelley December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a bad chest infection and even after potent antibiotics took care of the infection I had a rattling cough and low grade fever My doctor Rxd Mucinex and I could not believe how well it broke up the congestion in my chest, made it easier for me to cough it all up As a result I finally got rid of the low grade fever also Finally, Guafenesin has been around forever as a remedy for fibromyalgia"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This doesnt help at all I bought it or 4 yr old daughter and each time she took it the cough worsened I wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

All12 September 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this attempting to get rid of a cough and chest congestion. I am a 105lb 30 year old female. I took one pill yesterday and felt a little better. That was a half does so today I tried 2 pills, a full dose. After feeling nauseous for several hours I finally threw up several times and am feeling much better. I will not be taking it again, and would rather allow the congestion to run its course."

Puppyloveg (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was suffering from a severe virus-caused sore throat with terrible coughing. My PCP advised me to take Mucinex but at substantially greater dosage than the package recommends. I did so for about 3-4 weeks. The medication did help relieve my coughing, but it interfered so badly with my sleep that I had to discontinue taking it. I notice that other people have experienced sleep problems with Mucinex. There should be a warning about this on the package label."

Captain Jerry May 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would give this a zero out of ten if it was possible. I rarely get sick but I have been having a lot of trouble with a runny nose and coughing up mucus. This "medicine" doesn't do anything. Not only does it taste terrible but it's useless. Followed instructions and I'm on day 7 with the same problems. Avoid this stuff"

sy91 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"One of the best thing for coughs. The Mucinex DX green does a great job of thinning mucus as well as stopping cough. The blue is good for colds and allergies without cough. I prefer the 600 mg tables. For me, they wear off after five hours. Take with a lot of water. The more water the better it works. 16ozs every 90 minutes makes it work the best."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I swear by this stuff. (I'm talking about Musinex's version of TheraFlu, it's fairly new-maybe last year it was put on the shelves) I have tried nearly every cold remedy in the history of the world from teas to drugs to more wholesome remedies but nothing has actually ever worked. This stuff actually reduces the duration of my colds and the severity of colds within the first day. Drink it in the morning and once before bed and you should be golden in 2 days. I'm more of that summertime cold-getter and it works like magic every time."

HaleyR October 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Mucinex for about 5 months.... one in a.m. and another at 8pm. I took it because I could not swallow any phlegm and it was difficult coughing it up. My esophagus muscles are very weak and the phlegm would block my air waves. Recently I have developed severe dry mouth as a side affect. I stopped the p.m. pill, and use biotene gel, toothpaste and mouth rinse.... still no relief. If anyone has had this problem, please let me know."

Mattie138 March 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a terrible dry cough and Mucinex helped break the cough. It was easier for me to cough up my phlegm."

Anonymous January 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My cough was so bad that I now have an umbilical hernia but the Mucinex worked. I only took it in the morning because it did cause sleeplessness."

agrum December 31, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been up for hours throwing up and diarrhea after taking this."

Anonymous October 20, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After all the treatments I had from the doctor, nothing really suppressed the cough, which I have had for years. After taking Mucinex, my cough and the associated Phlegm has almost disappeared. I am a 74 yr old male but my side effects seem to be the opposite to others. i.e. I am doing more sleeping than normal, at any time night or day, but thank heavens for the cessation of cough."

jimbob 97683 October 15, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The side effect was sleeplessness. First night, I was up until 4:00 AM, next night up until 07:00AM and again last night I could not sleep. I was taking the Mucinex as prescribed every 12 hours."

Dilli (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had runny nose, blocked ears, headache, sore throat with mucus, Its great! I took one pill and saw relief, so 4 hours later I took the second one. Now I am wide awake. It's almost 4 am. Take it earlier."

Sickgranny June 9, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works ok, but for serious cough problems get prescription level medicine. Does help bring up phlegm. drink lots of water, will help bring up the mucus faster."

Lar999 June 7, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Actually I was using Mucinex to control a nagging night time cough. Although I had extreme pain in my ankles and legs EVERY SINGLE DAY, I never dreamed that Mucinex would have any effect as to helping that. I took a dose of the Mucinex FastMax just before I went to bed and WOW, no cough AND no leg pain at all that night, at last I was pain free! I know it had to be the Mucinex because absolutely nothing else had made a difference! I will keep some on hand to use from now on. I hope this helps someone else also. Thank you."

sutraquio (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was advised by a screening nurse to take Mucinex for a particularly persistent cough with a lot of phelgm. After about a week of taking Mucinex, my cough was slightly better, but I noticed that my endometriosis had subsided! I have been suffering from endometriosis for the past 20 years...tried eveything (Nafarelin, birth control bills, laparoscopic surgery, pregnancy, Lupron depot, ovariohysterectomy) and nothing helped the pain...I felt like my urinary bladder was under constant pressure and the only relief was immediately after urinating, but the pain would immediately return. I saw several urologists and they tried treating me for overactive bladder and interstitial cystitis, but the only definitive diagnosis was endometriosis."

Grateful in Fremont March 4, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"About and hour and a half after taking one Mucinex DM I developed severe dizziness, drowsiness, bad intestinal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea that recurred over a period of 2 hours. It was the only medication in my system."

Anonymous November 7, 2011