I have high blood pressure. Can I take Mucinex DM safely?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Nov 19, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Yes, it's fine for you to take Mucinex DM if you have high blood pressure.
It contains two active ingredients: dextromethorphan and guaifenesin. Dextromethorphan is a cough suppressant. It affects the signals in the brain that trigger cough reflex. Guaifenesin is an expectorant. It helps loosen congestion in your chest and throat, making it easier to cough out through your mouth.
These medicines are not known to elevate blood pressure.
The combination of dextromethorphan and guaifenesin is used to treat cough and chest congestion caused by the common cold, infections, or allergies.
Related Medical Questions
- What is the dose for an adult for Robitussin DM? How many times a day?
- What is the difference between Mucinex D and Mucinex DM?
- Can I take Claritin with Mucinex DM?
- Is it OK to take Excedrin with Mucinex D?
- Has anyone used expired Mucinex and had it worked?