User Reviews for Depakote ER

Migraine Prevention
7.3

Summary of Depakote ER reviews 7.6 72 reviews

Reviews for Depakote ER

For Bipolar Disorder "Terrible. Absolute poison. I would never ever put that toxic waste in my blood stream again. Depakote is bad."

K (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I am very pleased so far with my experience taking Depakote. Before Depakote, I was taking seroquel for quite some time (a couple years) and although I was happy on that medicine, I was way too tired. Luckily my solution was Depakote. All I can say is I have tried medicine for 4 years now and it has been a long journey! I will always remember my first time taking Depakote. Normally I get very fearful and panic the med will make me sick. Not Depakote. Instead, I felt immediately better, happy even, and giggled. Once that wore off, I felt normal and slept an hour or two after taking it. I enjoy how I still get tired on this medication like seroquel, but it does not overwhelm my senses with sedation, and fog my memory as much. If anything, I have never been more myself! Only thing is now sometimes I laugh too much."

Carala (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

"I have major depressive episodes and have serious derealization when I have these episodes. Depakote has literally been my life saver. I am on a very low dose for a therapeutic treatment- 750mg. Though not a lot, it is the perfect dose for me. I am so much calmer and feel a better type of me than I have in so long. I sometimes forget I struggle with major depression until I skip a dose or forget to take it for a couple of days. I used to be completely anti-meds but when you actually seek treatment and get the right medications it's a life saver! I take 750mg of depakote and 30mg of celexa. My only downside with this med is the weight gain. It will happen if you aren't extremely on top of working out and eating healthy- however I can say that when I did weight watchers and exercised I was successful In losing weight- so it's not necessairly impossible. I do also sometimes get blurry eyes randomly. The benefit of the medicine and the mental clarity I get is amazing and extremely worth it."

Ashleyzarate14 March 27, 2018

For Migraine Prevention "I've been on depakote ER once at bedtime for only 6 weeks and it has cut my migraines in half. Still get my normal headaches as well. Would like to give it more time to see how it works. So far no side effects at all."

Shelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on generic Depakote for 12 years. Prior to it, I took lithium for 28 years. On Depakote, I lost 30 pounds; and did not have hair loss. I do get tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I feel the medication helps me live a good life. I believe I would be dead without medication that keeps me from being manic."

Madoline December 4, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm going to say this. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. I've been on it for six months now. I take it for migraines, bipolar, and seizures. No noticeable side effects except for a lot of ear popping. I am a lot calmer than what I used to be. My anxiety is still there but it isn't as bad as it was. I can actually function on this medication. My family can be around me now. I used to rapid cycle and have mixed episodes at least ten times a week. Now they're gone. It's nice to be normal for a change. No grandiose delusions. No audible delusions. I am a little bit sleepier than normal. But with a change of diet, I'm okay. No hair falling out. Just the normal hair loss when it comes to the change of weather."

J2 Gal December 1, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I take non generic Depakote ER 1750 mg?? Haldol 4 mg, and propranolol 20 mg. I have some hair loss, insomnia, and shakiness. I believe the medicine is finally working after 17 years of trying every bipolar medication with Depakote ER. I lose my patience and get angry at customer service representatives sometimes. I lose my patience and get mildly angry at my husband but it appears to be under control. The insomnia at times gets really bad and I wind up calling lifenet to cope. I will be trying melatonin 3mg to see if this helps. I want to try 1500 mg of Depakote ER to see if my insomnia improves also."

chew chew (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I started Depakote ER 2000mg at bedtime about a year ago after decades of ineffective treatment for depression and anxiety. Depakote proved that I was misdiagnosed: it quickly alleviated my psych. symptoms and allowed me to reduce Xanax XR dose by half and eliminate PRN Xanax. I haven't experienced the weight loss side effect, but did lose a lot of hair at first. The hair seems to be thickening up now. I would give it 10 stars except for the hair loss."

LAGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2017

For Epilepsy "Insurance covers generic only. The generic medication changes from manufacture to manufacture, the different brand changes from month to month can lead to breakthrough seizures. In order to prevent that I must either pay out of pocket about $450 or find a generic about $10 that works. I found one generic that works well and go from pharmacy to pharmacy tracking that one down."

rainysunnywind888 November 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again."

Huzaiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality"

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg"

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was treated for clinical depression from age 18-40 using a variety of medications. I've also struggled with alcoholism, drug and sex addiction most of my adult life. I had a period of six years' solid sobriety beginning in the mid 90's but, even sober, battled with diagnosed clinical depression. At that time I was being treated with Serzone. The more the doctor increased the dosage the more depressed I would become. I obsessed on failed relationships, acted out sexually and financially in very risky ways. I finally changed Psychiatrists at the suggestion of my Therapist. The new doctor analyzed my symptoms and indicated that I had been misdiagnosed with clinical depression. His prognosis was Bipolar II Disorder accompanied by acute depression"

NunyaSAT (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking this for a few years and I have severe headaches often along with suffering with low back pain which is constant on my left side and nothing is soothing it. Laying down is excruciating and I'm in the process of running test. This started about 4 months ago and I have been trying to deal with it and hope that it would eventually go away. It's becoming unbearable."

Langelle23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote has worked great for me. It totally helps with mania. The only medication that clears up my head and makes me feel normal. Also it gets rid of my migranes. The only bad thing is a few side effects. I gained weight and my hair fell out. And I was pretty lathargic at first. Takes a while but once it kicks in I felt like a whole person. I was off of it for a long time and recently was put back on it so going through side effects again but felt a difference rite away."

jamel102065 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Honestly this medicine has saved my life! I went from having multiple long lasting episodes of mania to none. Ya i still get the thoughts but im relaxed and able to make conscious choices now that im on it. The only negative side affect is the hair loss but its temporary, but so worth it. Nothing is better than feeling like you are in control of yourself, and this medicine does this for you dont be scared to ask your doctor about it!"

Susyg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been taking this med since 1992 w/ some breaks here and there. I too have been on, what would seem, every med for Bipolar diagnosis. I take 1750mg and also take 400mg of Lamictal (another mood stabilizer which seems to help with the depression) My only issue had been weight gain which remains a problem. 10 years stable, after being hospitalized for 8 months due to manic episode and psychotic break (was only taking Topamax at that time). Would highly recommend."

blessed5# March 11, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug took me out of a downward spiraling mixed episode, for that I'm thankful. However, being BiPolar II, the initial dosage of 1750 mg. which was never recommended to lower after its effectiveness had been reached, almost put me right back to where I was. I wouldn't recommend this drug if you're on the depressive side of BiPolar, or for any length of time/dosage that the medication isn't even recommended to be used for. I've since switched to Lamictal, will see how it goes."

HappytoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention "I was on Topimax 1000mg a day for approximately 10 years. Yes, I experienced the side effects of tingling in my fingers & toes sporadically. Had a migraine maybe 1 time/year (prior I had 2 migraines a week) Finally, the Topimax became ineffective (body probably was immune) and switched to Depakote 250 mg a day (125 mg in the morning and 125 mg at bedtime). No headache! I did gain 15-20 pounds in the first 3 months- I was well aware of the possible weight gain. Weight gain is well worth it - when the alternative is migraines. Have to weigh pro's & con's. Also I take OTC 5-HTP to combat the fuzziness and such. Can't complain...."

Happy to report no headache December 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg at night for 2wks now. I'm Bipolar 1. It's amazing! I've slept great! No side effects. No mood swings. I feel very balanced. I've taken many psych meds over the past 13 yrs. Finally! The right med! I say. Give it a chance if U suffer from severe Bipolar, mood swings, anxiety/panic attacks, sleep disorder...etc. This is working. People close 2 me say I'm a lot calmer now. More rational. Were as b4 I'd quickly lash out! Not now."

Jamie STL (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I took this at night per my doctor, and about the 3rd week I noticed a huge change in my energy and I started having severe muscle cramping and weakness. I woke up in the morning feeling beat up and muscle soreness everywhere. It didn't really help with my issue either. I stopped taking it, and 3 days later the muscle soreness was completely gone"

AlliGibby July 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Very smooth mood stabilizer, no side effects. I take 1200 mg/d."

be2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I ben taking 1,000mg a day .I split up 500 in morning and 500 at night for 3 months. I gained 35pounds in the first month. Its a great mood stabilizer, but it only works part of the time. I have the shakes ,acne , vision problems from it. I took topimax before it was great but I got kidney stones from it . I need to get another med that actually works!"

d273 June 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I had a strong desire to drive off of the road even with other people in the car. Otherwise this worked well but the desire increased the longer I was on it."

Corrie B May 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014