User Reviews for Depakote ER

Epilepsy 6.8
Summary of Depakote ER reviews 7.2 83 reviews

Reviews for Depakote ER

DebiAvi · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was diagnosed with Bipolar I, forty years ago. On Lithium first. Made me worse. Treated with over 30 drugs, all made me worse, before realizing Depakote ONLY was the Med for me. A doc explained to me that folks who lean towards mania should not take anti-depressants. Hindsight! Then, after years of Benzo’s PRN, I started experiencing interdose withdrawals that wrecked my entire immune system. NEVER take Benzo’s!!! Trying to get off of them almost killed me. I got down to 95 pounds. Also, coming off of them is DANGEROUS! Must be done SLOWLY under the guidance of a medical professional who is experienced with the withdrawal risks and tapering schedules. Google the CNN Lisa Ling special. Now with anything I try one new medicine at a time under close medical supervision. Then I know what it does FOR and TO me. Less is more. After years of being on various cocktails, Depakote alone is best for me.”

J · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 6, 2020

For Epilepsy: “Depakote caused an increase in seizure occurence as well as severity of the seizures. Extreme changes in sleep habits, appetite, behavioral issues as well as severe and erratic mood changes, vomiting and regular kidney stones”

Blaise · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Wonder drug for me, although I only use it as a rescue med if I get an inkling of mania. I don’t take it all the time because I gain weight and the hair loss is devastating. The upside is that it gives me curly hair (which also hides some of the hair loss). I lose about 50% of my hair volume. The curls slowly relax once I stop taking it. I still had waves two years after I stopped taking it full time. It’s the oddest thing. In addition to adding it as a rescue med, My doctor and I have carefully put together a drug cocktail that works for me. Effexor XR, Risperdal and bupropion. I don’t feel over medicated and it took years to get the formula right. Never stop trying new meds if you aren’t getting good results.”

Generic Name · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Starting dose of 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night keeps me in therapeutic range, and very effectively controls my bipolar type II with mixed episode, but even with 20mg Adderall extended release, I find my self incredibly drowsy and groggy in the morning. Unfortunately, this medication just doesn't agree with my brain chemistry, and I'm hoping to switch to lamictal soon.”

Mood Swing Mama · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I must start off by saying everyone is different and will react different. My condition is unofficially diagnosed. But I was told when I was a teenager I was a maniac depressive with possible hormonal imbalance. Recently I have had two major mania events. Accelerated heart rate, palpitations, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, mood swings, confusion, and memory loss to name a few. The night I took this medication I felt it kick in. I felt great and had so much mental energy I didn't have before. It has been working for me. I suggest eating when you take this medication it can make you nauseous. I haven't seen any side effects other than that. Each to their own though. Just wanted to post this to this forum to let you know if this doesn't work for you there is a medication that will work. Don't give up !”

Abbey · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 14, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was prescribed Depakote for mood stability with the benefit of possible migraine control. I noticed the slightest amount of difference in impulsivity, but looking back it was most likely due to other medication changes at the time. We increased the dose hoping for better results, but all I received was side effects. I took one dose at night and the increased dose just made me incredibly ‘loopy’ and I wasn’t able to move properly as my body was incredibly weak. On the higher dose, the fact I wasn’t able to get out of bed without falling over and emotional mood swings made the slight benefits just not worth it. Once stopping the medication, I figured out that Depakote had increased the ringing in my ears (which luckily improved dramatically after a few months of not taking it). One benefit of this medication was that it was extremely easy to use, and if your body is able to tolerate it is absolutely worth giving it a go. After all, you never know until you try it!”

dave · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 20, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “have been taking Depakote 1500 mg for 2 years, find it calms me down, when anxiety is overwhelming. It is worth side effects of weight gain, and hair loss. I keep taking regular dose and don't play around dosage. ”

Joe · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 3, 2019

For Epilepsy: “Controls epilepsy but bad side effects: Worst was tremors which got worse until I got off drug. Replaced Depakote with Briviact.”

JB34 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Not sure if Depakote is worth it. Rather take Seroquel XR.”

Naava · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2019

“I've pretty much tried every mood stabilizer and have gone from 1800mg of Lithium to only 500mg of Depakote. I haven't noticed weight gain at 500mg but when I went up to 1000mg I did so I came back down (and the higher dose didn't make me feel anymore stabilized). My cycles last 1-3 days and it doesn't do anything for stabilizing my mood but I don't care anymore since I cycle so quickly I can just wait for the next day and I'm a different person (yay...) - it does help a lot though for my anger problems and cluster headaches. I still have quite a bit of pain due to my cluster headaches but I can deal with it and I'm pretty sure it's because the Depakote helps. It's also been said to help with schizophrenia but it doesn't do anything for me in that department.”

SF100 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I am a guy who underwent 30 yrs of treatment for anxiety/depression until I was finally correctly diagnosed with BP2 and ADHD. Depakote ER 2000mg at night is my mainstay med. My default mixed states are well-controlled by Depakote. Xanax works as a rescue med at far lower doses than I took before Depakote. Early hair loss (now resolved), no weight gain. I take 20mg Dexedrine daily for ADHD; Depakote doesn't let it trigger hypomania. Ketamine infusions & nose spray cover the depressive side.”

Alt jay · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 17, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have had three severe manic episodes in my lifetime. First was not diagnosed. The 2nd severe mania hit in 02 and I was given zyprexa. This took the edge off but I would wake up in the early morning manic again, once it wore off. When depakote was added, I really came down. I was Manic-episode free 15 yrs, w/ relapse in ‘17. I was put on zyprexa and lithium but was still flying high and fast - complete manic. Once high dose of depakote added, I came down for good. This drug has been critical for resolving my manias. My experience with it for long term treatment has not been good though - lost a lot of hair, and a lot of enthusiasm and felt like I was in a stupor. I gained weight, but that has happened on all the useful drugs.”

K · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “Terrible. Absolute poison. I would never ever put that toxic waste in my blood stream again. Depakote is bad.”

Carala · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 4, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I am very pleased so far with my experience taking Depakote. Before Depakote, I was taking seroquel for quite some time (a couple years) and although I was happy on that medicine, I was way too tired. Luckily my solution was Depakote. All I can say is I have tried medicine for 4 years now and it has been a long journey! I will always remember my first time taking Depakote. Normally I get very fearful and panic the med will make me sick. Not Depakote. Instead, I felt immediately better, happy even, and giggled. Once that wore off, I felt normal and slept an hour or two after taking it. I enjoy how I still get tired on this medication like seroquel, but it does not overwhelm my senses with sedation, and fog my memory as much. If anything, I have never been more myself! Only thing is now sometimes I laugh too much.”

Ashleyzarate14 March 27, 2018

“I have major depressive episodes and have serious derealization when I have these episodes. Depakote has literally been my life saver. I am on a very low dose for a therapeutic treatment- 750mg. Though not a lot, it is the perfect dose for me. I am so much calmer and feel a better type of me than I have in so long. I sometimes forget I struggle with major depression until I skip a dose or forget to take it for a couple of days. I used to be completely anti-meds but when you actually seek treatment and get the right medications it's a life saver! I take 750mg of depakote and 30mg of celexa. My only downside with this med is the weight gain. It will happen if you aren't extremely on top of working out and eating healthy- however I can say that when I did weight watchers and exercised I was successful In losing weight- so it's not necessairly impossible. I do also sometimes get blurry eyes randomly. The benefit of the medicine and the mental clarity I get is amazing and extremely worth it.”

Shelly · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: “I've been on depakote ER once at bedtime for only 6 weeks and it has cut my migraines in half. Still get my normal headaches as well. Would like to give it more time to see how it works. So far no side effects at all.”

Madoline December 4, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on generic Depakote for 12 years. Prior to it, I took lithium for 28 years. On Depakote, I lost 30 pounds; and did not have hair loss. I do get tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I feel the medication helps me live a good life. I believe I would be dead without medication that keeps me from being manic.”

J2 Gal December 1, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I'm going to say this. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. I've been on it for six months now. I take it for migraines, bipolar, and seizures. No noticeable side effects except for a lot of ear popping. I am a lot calmer than what I used to be. My anxiety is still there but it isn't as bad as it was. I can actually function on this medication. My family can be around me now. I used to rapid cycle and have mixed episodes at least ten times a week. Now they're gone. It's nice to be normal for a change. No grandiose delusions. No audible delusions. I am a little bit sleepier than normal. But with a change of diet, I'm okay. No hair falling out. Just the normal hair loss when it comes to the change of weather.”

chew chew · Taken for 10 years or more October 14, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I take non generic Depakote ER 1750 mg?? Haldol 4 mg, and propranolol 20 mg. I have some hair loss, insomnia, and shakiness. I believe the medicine is finally working after 17 years of trying every bipolar medication with Depakote ER. I lose my patience and get angry at customer service representatives sometimes. I lose my patience and get mildly angry at my husband but it appears to be under control. The insomnia at times gets really bad and I wind up calling lifenet to cope. I will be trying melatonin 3mg to see if this helps. I want to try 1500 mg of Depakote ER to see if my insomnia improves also.”

LAGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 14, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: “I started Depakote ER 2000mg at bedtime about a year ago after decades of ineffective treatment for depression and anxiety. Depakote proved that I was misdiagnosed: it quickly alleviated my psych. symptoms and allowed me to reduce Xanax XR dose by half and eliminate PRN Xanax. I haven't experienced the weight loss side effect, but did lose a lot of hair at first. The hair seems to be thickening up now. I would give it 10 stars except for the hair loss.”

rainysunnywind888 November 3, 2016

For Epilepsy: “Insurance covers generic only. The generic medication changes from manufacture to manufacture, the different brand changes from month to month can lead to breakthrough seizures. In order to prevent that I must either pay out of pocket about $450 or find a generic about $10 that works. I found one generic that works well and go from pharmacy to pharmacy tracking that one down.”

Huzaiff · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again.”

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality”

StayStrongJustBreath92 · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg”

NunyaSAT · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was treated for clinical depression from age 18-40 using a variety of medications. I've also struggled with alcoholism, drug and sex addiction most of my adult life. I had a period of six years' solid sobriety beginning in the mid 90's but, even sober, battled with diagnosed clinical depression. At that time I was being treated with Serzone. The more the doctor increased the dosage the more depressed I would become. I obsessed on failed relationships, acted out sexually and financially in very risky ways. I finally changed Psychiatrists at the suggestion of my Therapist. The new doctor analyzed my symptoms and indicated that I had been misdiagnosed with clinical depression. His prognosis was Bipolar II Disorder accompanied by acute depression”