User Reviews for Depakote ER

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Depakote ER.

Depakote ER Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Depakote ER to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have been on generic Depakote for 12 years. Prior to it, I took lithium for 28 years. On Depakote, I lost 30 pounds; and did not have hair loss. I do get tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I feel the medication helps me live a good life. I believe I would be dead without medication that keeps me from being manic."

Madoline December 4, 2017

"I'm going to say this. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. I've been on it for six months now. I take it for migraines, bipolar, and seizures. No noticeable side effects except for a lot of ear popping. I am a lot calmer than what I used to be. My anxiety is still there but it isn't as bad as it was. I can actually function on this medication. My family can be around me now. I used to rapid cycle and have mixed episodes at least ten times a week. Now they're gone. It's nice to be normal for a change. No grandiose delusions. No audible delusions. I am a little bit sleepier than normal. But with a change of diet, I'm okay. No hair falling out. Just the normal hair loss when it comes to the change of weather."

J2 Gal December 1, 2017

"I take non generic Depakote ER 1750 mg?? Haldol 4 mg, and propranolol 20 mg. I have some hair loss, insomnia, and shakiness. I believe the medicine is finally working after 17 years of trying every bipolar medication with Depakote ER. I lose my patience and get angry at customer service representatives sometimes. I lose my patience and get mildly angry at my husband but it appears to be under control. The insomnia at times gets really bad and I wind up calling lifenet to cope. I will be trying melatonin 3mg to see if this helps. I want to try 1500 mg of Depakote ER to see if my insomnia improves also."

chew chew (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2017

"I started Depakote ER 2000mg at bedtime about a year ago after decades of ineffective treatment for depression and anxiety. Depakote proved that I was misdiagnosed: it quickly alleviated my psych. symptoms and allowed me to reduce Xanax XR dose by half and eliminate PRN Xanax. I haven't experienced the weight loss side effect, but did lose a lot of hair at first. The hair seems to be thickening up now. I would give it 10 stars except for the hair loss."

LAGuy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2017

"I was suffering from bipolar for 10 months. After taking many medicines i was on divalproex 500 mg for 3 years and lamotrigine 150mg for 2 years. I was able to handle stress and forget that i have any depression. My dosage for both was kept to lowest 250 mg for divalproex and 50 mg for lamotrigine. But on this stage after having stress my symptoms reuccured but was not severe as before. I will have too increase the dose again."

Huzaiff (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2016

"After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality"

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"I started taking Divalproex(Depakote)250mg on June 10th and than on June 17th I was admitted into a psychiatric hospital because of my bipolar. I learned from the psychiatrist there that the dosage I was on was absolutely nothing and would have no effect on me. The psychiatrist ended up raising the dose to 750mg. I definetly can tell that my mood is leveled out for the most part. I would recommended this to people with bipolar and people with seizures(I was diagnosed a few years ago with non eptiletic seizures). So far I dont see any side effects, thank God. I take this medication at night along with: Aripiprazole(Abilify)15mg Trazodone(Desyrel)50mg Hydroxyzine(Vistaril)50mg Clonazepam(Klonopin)1mg"

StayStrongJustBreath92 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

"I was treated for clinical depression from age 18-40 using a variety of medications. I've also struggled with alcoholism, drug and sex addiction most of my adult life. I had a period of six years' solid sobriety beginning in the mid 90's but, even sober, battled with diagnosed clinical depression. At that time I was being treated with Serzone. The more the doctor increased the dosage the more depressed I would become. I obsessed on failed relationships, acted out sexually and financially in very risky ways. I finally changed Psychiatrists at the suggestion of my Therapist. The new doctor analyzed my symptoms and indicated that I had been misdiagnosed with clinical depression. His prognosis was Bipolar II Disorder accompanied by acute depression"

NunyaSAT (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2016

"I've been taking this for a few years and I have severe headaches often along with suffering with low back pain which is constant on my left side and nothing is soothing it. Laying down is excruciating and I'm in the process of running test. This started about 4 months ago and I have been trying to deal with it and hope that it would eventually go away. It's becoming unbearable."

Langelle23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

"Depakote has worked great for me. It totally helps with mania. The only medication that clears up my head and makes me feel normal. Also it gets rid of my migranes. The only bad thing is a few side effects. I gained weight and my hair fell out. And I was pretty lathargic at first. Takes a while but once it kicks in I felt like a whole person. I was off of it for a long time and recently was put back on it so going through side effects again but felt a difference rite away."

jamel102065 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"Honestly this medicine has saved my life! I went from having multiple long lasting episodes of mania to none. Ya i still get the thoughts but im relaxed and able to make conscious choices now that im on it. The only negative side affect is the hair loss but its temporary, but so worth it. Nothing is better than feeling like you are in control of yourself, and this medicine does this for you dont be scared to ask your doctor about it!"

Susyg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

"Have been taking this med since 1992 w/ some breaks here and there. I too have been on, what would seem, every med for Bipolar diagnosis. I take 1750mg and also take 400mg of Lamictal (another mood stabilizer which seems to help with the depression) My only issue had been weight gain which remains a problem. 10 years stable, after being hospitalized for 8 months due to manic episode and psychotic break (was only taking Topamax at that time). Would highly recommend."

blessed5# March 11, 2016

"This drug took me out of a downward spiraling mixed episode, for that I'm thankful. However, being BiPolar II, the initial dosage of 1750 mg. which was never recommended to lower after its effectiveness had been reached, almost put me right back to where I was. I wouldn't recommend this drug if you're on the depressive side of BiPolar, or for any length of time/dosage that the medication isn't even recommended to be used for. I've since switched to Lamictal, will see how it goes."

HappytoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

"I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg at night for 2wks now. I'm Bipolar 1. It's amazing! I've slept great! No side effects. No mood swings. I feel very balanced. I've taken many psych meds over the past 13 yrs. Finally! The right med! I say. Give it a chance if U suffer from severe Bipolar, mood swings, anxiety/panic attacks, sleep disorder...etc. This is working. People close 2 me say I'm a lot calmer now. More rational. Were as b4 I'd quickly lash out! Not now."

Jamie STL (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2015

"I took this at night per my doctor, and about the 3rd week I noticed a huge change in my energy and I started having severe muscle cramping and weakness. I woke up in the morning feeling beat up and muscle soreness everywhere. It didn't really help with my issue either. I stopped taking it, and 3 days later the muscle soreness was completely gone"

AlliGibby July 7, 2015

"Very smooth mood stabilizer, no side effects. I take 1200 mg/d."

be2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"I had a strong desire to drive off of the road even with other people in the car. Otherwise this worked well but the desire increased the longer I was on it."

Corrie B May 24, 2015

"I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014

"Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose"

livelife52 October 13, 2014

"Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually."

X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2014

"Caused suicidal depression"

i2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014

"This medicine has been great for me. I do not feel any side effects. I actually lost 25 pounds... I had been on lithium for 28 years."

Anita Key (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2013

"I was recently hospitalized during a manic episode. I have been treated for bipolar going on 20 years ( I'm 41). I have been on Zyprexa and other medicines for anxiety. I am a rapid cycler (frequent manic episodes). I have tried all the meds from A-Z. It's been a awhile since I've tried Depakote, but it's the first thing they put me on in the hospital. It's been 15 days I think it's ok, but when I lay down I feel like weights are holding me to the bed and I seem to get disorientated as to my location in the house ( weird right??). When I get up all is fine again. If anyone has experienced this please share, it would really help. Let's face it "regular" people would freak just having this discussion. "

Stacey M April 25, 2013

"Depakote ER is the only medicine I can take for my bi-polar. I have side effects to every medicine I've been on for bi-polar. I can't take the generic. It really bothers my stomach. It doesn't do much for depression. Anything I take for depression makes me manic. I have been on almost medications on the market. I have to learn to live with depression and work my hardest to accept it. I've been living with bi-polar for 38 years. I wish that the brand name wasn't so expensive. It's very hard for me to afford but it must come before food if necessary."

Kirdar (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 2, 2013

"It did help a bit, but you really have to watch out for side effects. I recommend starting a mood journal if you haven't already while taking this medicine. It made me very violent without realizing it."

Eli Kaito (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2013