User Reviews for Depakote ER to treat Bipolar Disorder

Depakote ER has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 46 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 61% of those users who reviewed Depakote ER reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Depakote ER Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Depakote ER

RedWax · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2021

“Other mood stabilizers I have been put on include Latuda, Lamictal, and Seroquel. Depakote beats them all in both efficacy and tolerability. Was put on this in the hospital after a suicide attempt along with 40mg Prozac. Greatest med combo ever for my bipolar. Definitely gained some weight the first couple of months, but as I was nearly underweight before, the extra weight filled me out nicely so I can't complain :) Currently taking 1500mg at night. Definitely helps me sleep better without making me a zombie when I wake up (Seroquel). The only thing that can be a challenge is the general grogginess I feel on this drug. Definitely not like the fog left by Seroquel, but I do yawn a lot and sometimes I need a dose adjustment. But I believe it's a worthy trade for being comfortable in my own skin for once :)”

Mvnic · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

“This medication helped me within 1 hour of taking it my rapid thoughts slowed down and I felt less anxious but I felt way too foggy and it made me do stupid stuff because it dumbed me down very much I felt really slow and then I felt extremely irritable hot. My heart felt so bad so I decided to not take it however it’s better than abilify and seroquel and especially geodon - don't ever take Geodon”

Mysti · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 21, 2021

“Thank you Depakote ER for giving me a new life. I take Prozac and Depakote ER for Bipolar. It has been a long road to accepting the fatigue but the dangerous uneven life I used to live I had to come to terms with it. I had horrible manic episodes on other medications that did not work. This combo is perfect except the fatigue is the hardest part. But I don’t have to suffer like that. I have breakthrough episodes but I can increase the Depa dose if needed. The only medicine that has changed me and allowed me to live a normal life”

Mood Swing Mama · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“I must start off by saying everyone is different and will react different. My condition is unofficially diagnosed. But I was told when I was a teenager I was a maniac depressive with possible hormonal imbalance. Recently I have had two major mania events. Accelerated heart rate, palpitations, headaches, dizziness, fatigue, mood swings, confusion, and memory loss to name a few. The night I took this medication I felt it kick in. I felt great and had so much mental energy I didn't have before. It has been working for me. I suggest eating when you take this medication it can make you nauseous. I haven't seen any side effects other than that. Each to their own though. Just wanted to post this to this forum to let you know if this doesn't work for you there is a medication that will work. Don't give up !”

Jamie STL · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2015

“I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg at night for 2wks now. I'm Bipolar 1. It's amazing! I've slept great! No side effects. No mood swings. I feel very balanced. I've taken many psych meds over the past 13 yrs. Finally! The right med! I say. Give it a chance if U suffer from severe Bipolar, mood swings, anxiety/panic attacks, sleep disorder...etc. This is working. People close 2 me say I'm a lot calmer now. More rational. Were as b4 I'd quickly lash out! Not now.”

Carala · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 4, 2018

“I am very pleased so far with my experience taking Depakote. Before Depakote, I was taking seroquel for quite some time (a couple years) and although I was happy on that medicine, I was way too tired. Luckily my solution was Depakote. All I can say is I have tried medicine for 4 years now and it has been a long journey! I will always remember my first time taking Depakote. Normally I get very fearful and panic the med will make me sick. Not Depakote. Instead, I felt immediately better, happy even, and giggled. Once that wore off, I felt normal and slept an hour or two after taking it. I enjoy how I still get tired on this medication like seroquel, but it does not overwhelm my senses with sedation, and fog my memory as much. If anything, I have never been more myself! Only thing is now sometimes I laugh too much.”

Stacey M April 25, 2013

“I was recently hospitalized during a manic episode. I have been treated for bipolar going on 20 years ( I'm 41). I have been on Zyprexa and other medicines for anxiety. I am a rapid cycler (frequent manic episodes). I have tried all the meds from A-Z. It's been a awhile since I've tried Depakote, but it's the first thing they put me on in the hospital. It's been 15 days I think it's ok, but when I lay down I feel like weights are holding me to the bed and I seem to get disorientated as to my location in the house ( weird right??). When I get up all is fine again. If anyone has experienced this please share, it would really help. Let's face it "regular" people would freak just having this discussion. ”

Madoline December 4, 2017

“I have been on generic Depakote for 12 years. Prior to it, I took lithium for 28 years. On Depakote, I lost 30 pounds; and did not have hair loss. I do get tired in the afternoon and take a nap. I feel the medication helps me live a good life. I believe I would be dead without medication that keeps me from being manic.”

DebiAvi · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2020

“I was diagnosed with Bipolar I, forty years ago. On Lithium first. Made me worse. Treated with over 30 drugs, all made me worse, before realizing Depakote ONLY was the Med for me. A doc explained to me that folks who lean towards mania should not take anti-depressants. Hindsight! Then, after years of Benzo’s PRN, I started experiencing interdose withdrawals that wrecked my entire immune system. NEVER take Benzo’s!!! Trying to get off of them almost killed me. I got down to 95 pounds. Also, coming off of them is DANGEROUS! Must be done SLOWLY under the guidance of a medical professional who is experienced with the withdrawal risks and tapering schedules. Google the CNN Lisa Ling special. Now with anything I try one new medicine at a time under close medical supervision. Then I know what it does FOR and TO me. Less is more. After years of being on various cocktails, Depakote alone is best for me.”

dave · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 20, 2019

“have been taking Depakote 1500 mg for 2 years, find it calms me down, when anxiety is overwhelming. It is worth side effects of weight gain, and hair loss. I keep taking regular dose and don't play around dosage. ”

J2 Gal December 1, 2017

“I'm going to say this. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. I've been on it for six months now. I take it for migraines, bipolar, and seizures. No noticeable side effects except for a lot of ear popping. I am a lot calmer than what I used to be. My anxiety is still there but it isn't as bad as it was. I can actually function on this medication. My family can be around me now. I used to rapid cycle and have mixed episodes at least ten times a week. Now they're gone. It's nice to be normal for a change. No grandiose delusions. No audible delusions. I am a little bit sleepier than normal. But with a change of diet, I'm okay. No hair falling out. Just the normal hair loss when it comes to the change of weather.”

SF100 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2018

“I am a guy who underwent 30 yrs of treatment for anxiety/depression until I was finally correctly diagnosed with BP2 and ADHD. Depakote ER 2000mg at night is my mainstay med. My default mixed states are well-controlled by Depakote. Xanax works as a rescue med at far lower doses than I took before Depakote. Early hair loss (now resolved), no weight gain. I take 20mg Dexedrine daily for ADHD; Depakote doesn't let it trigger hypomania. Ketamine infusions & nose spray cover the depressive side.”

X21389 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2014

“Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually.”

Susyg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 27, 2016

“Honestly this medicine has saved my life! I went from having multiple long lasting episodes of mania to none. Ya i still get the thoughts but im relaxed and able to make conscious choices now that im on it. The only negative side affect is the hair loss but its temporary, but so worth it. Nothing is better than feeling like you are in control of yourself, and this medicine does this for you dont be scared to ask your doctor about it!”

Kirdar · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 2, 2013

“Depakote ER is the only medicine I can take for my bi-polar. I have side effects to every medicine I've been on for bi-polar. I can't take the generic. It really bothers my stomach. It doesn't do much for depression. Anything I take for depression makes me manic. I have been on almost medications on the market. I have to learn to live with depression and work my hardest to accept it. I've been living with bi-polar for 38 years. I wish that the brand name wasn't so expensive. It's very hard for me to afford but it must come before food if necessary.”

kittylover98 · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2020

“I was put on Depakote ER 250mg x 3 in the psychiatric hospital 3 weeks ago. So far it's helped me more than any other medication I've been on. My thoughts no longer race, my triggers are dulled, my mood is even. It can be kind of a pain to remember to take at the same time 3 times a day, but it works best with consistent use. I also take Prozac 40mg daily and have had no issues with depression since discharging. Side effects include constipation, feeling flat, and sleepiness throughout the day. I consider it a worthy trade off for what I was going through, though.”

Eli Kaito · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2013

“It did help a bit, but you really have to watch out for side effects. I recommend starting a mood journal if you haven't already while taking this medicine. It made me very violent without realizing it.”

ZeeZee23 April 9, 2011

“I was put on Depakote ER and Celexa for depression and anxiety. My mood and depression were helped and it knocked out my migraine headaches completely. I experienced so many horrible side effects though. I gained 50 pounds in the six months I was on this, I lost my hair, I developed tremors that have not completely subsided, I had horrible stomach problems, heartburn, it made me extremely lethargic, libido was gone. This was just my experience with Depakote and if it weren't for all of the side effects I would have stayed on this medication. Hope this helps.”

whollottamanicactivityhere October 24, 2011

“I've been on DEpakote ER for about 7 years and regularly for 5 years before. I am a rapid cycler I think. Currently prescribed 2000mg/day (1000 in the morning and 1000 in the evening). I notice weight gain (though could be due to less nightly manic behavior and age), some upset stomach at times, overall, I think it stabilizes me. Caffeine does make me feel more alive when on ER. Otherwise feel quite lethargic, apathetic, less motivated. I tend to feel more like I am depressed when taking this medicine. Will look into combination of Anti-depressive. ”

SariahMc December 13, 2014

“I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed.”

Alt jay · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 17, 2018

“I have had three severe manic episodes in my lifetime. First was not diagnosed. The 2nd severe mania hit in 02 and I was given zyprexa. This took the edge off but I would wake up in the early morning manic again, once it wore off. When depakote was added, I really came down. I was Manic-episode free 15 yrs, w/ relapse in ‘17. I was put on zyprexa and lithium but was still flying high and fast - complete manic. Once high dose of depakote added, I came down for good. This drug has been critical for resolving my manias. My experience with it for long term treatment has not been good though - lost a lot of hair, and a lot of enthusiasm and felt like I was in a stupor. I gained weight, but that has happened on all the useful drugs.”

blessed5# March 11, 2016

“Have been taking this med since 1992 w/ some breaks here and there. I too have been on, what would seem, every med for Bipolar diagnosis. I take 1750mg and also take 400mg of Lamictal (another mood stabilizer which seems to help with the depression) My only issue had been weight gain which remains a problem. 10 years stable, after being hospitalized for 8 months due to manic episode and psychotic break (was only taking Topamax at that time). Would highly recommend.”

Blaise · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 28, 2020

“Wonder drug for me, although I only use it as a rescue med if I get an inkling of mania. I don’t take it all the time because I gain weight and the hair loss is devastating. The upside is that it gives me curly hair (which also hides some of the hair loss). I lose about 50% of my hair volume. The curls slowly relax once I stop taking it. I still had waves two years after I stopped taking it full time. It’s the oddest thing. In addition to adding it as a rescue med, My doctor and I have carefully put together a drug cocktail that works for me. Effexor XR, Risperdal and bupropion. I don’t feel over medicated and it took years to get the formula right. Never stop trying new meds if you aren’t getting good results.”

Shawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2020

“This medication Depakote ER is a game changer if you have intermittent explosive disorder. I have IED and I was in danger of losing everything including my family. For the first time in my life I’m clear minded and at peace no side effects what so ever taken with Wellbutrin and I feel like a man that has never existed until now”

LAGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 14, 2017

“I started Depakote ER 2000mg at bedtime about a year ago after decades of ineffective treatment for depression and anxiety. Depakote proved that I was misdiagnosed: it quickly alleviated my psych. symptoms and allowed me to reduce Xanax XR dose by half and eliminate PRN Xanax. I haven't experienced the weight loss side effect, but did lose a lot of hair at first. The hair seems to be thickening up now. I would give it 10 stars except for the hair loss.”

jamel102065 · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2016

“Depakote has worked great for me. It totally helps with mania. The only medication that clears up my head and makes me feel normal. Also it gets rid of my migranes. The only bad thing is a few side effects. I gained weight and my hair fell out. And I was pretty lathargic at first. Takes a while but once it kicks in I felt like a whole person. I was off of it for a long time and recently was put back on it so going through side effects again but felt a difference rite away.”

Bipolar 1 recently diagnosed · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2016

“After my first manic episode at 39, was hospitalized and chose Depakote over Risperdal due to weight gain fears. It's been 2 weeks and along with intensive therapy and healthy lifestyle it's definitely brought me back to reality”

NunyaSAT · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2016

“I was treated for clinical depression from age 18-40 using a variety of medications. I've also struggled with alcoholism, drug and sex addiction most of my adult life. I had a period of six years' solid sobriety beginning in the mid 90's but, even sober, battled with diagnosed clinical depression. At that time I was being treated with Serzone. The more the doctor increased the dosage the more depressed I would become. I obsessed on failed relationships, acted out sexually and financially in very risky ways. I finally changed Psychiatrists at the suggestion of my Therapist. The new doctor analyzed my symptoms and indicated that I had been misdiagnosed with clinical depression. His prognosis was Bipolar II Disorder accompanied by acute depression”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder