User Reviews for Delsym

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Delsym.

Cough
3.4

Summary of Delsym reviews 3.4 128 reviews

Reviews for Delsym

For Cough "DO NOT take Delsym with alcohol. No where on the box does it say that! I had wine with dinner and later took the prescribed dosage of Delsym because I had a cough that was preventing me from sleeping. The next thing I knew was waking up on the kitchen floor with ambulance personnel in my house! I hit my head on the floor which caused a brain bleed. I had to be air lifted to a regional hospital and put in the ICU. Luckily the bleed stopped and they didn't have to crack my head open to do brain surgery! Recovery was a nightmare with months of headache, dizziness, and zero energy. I still have residual effects a year later. They did a lot of tests in the hospital to figure out what caused me to faint, but all of them showed no problems so it had to have been the Delsym. I don't know for sure of course that the combination of wine with Delsym caused me to pass out. It could have been just the Delsym, but I want to warn people. This stuff is dangerous!!!"

Brain Damage (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Cough "I bought this for a dry nagging cough. It worked great for the cough. I took the 12 hour version. I did however stay up for several hours with a rapid heart beat and nausea. It's been 16 hours and I still feel shaky and a bit loopy from the medication."

sensitive to meds (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Cough "I used this because I had a terrible cough so I took it before bed. I was up all night nauseous and feeling terrible. Then I threw up from this medicine I don’t recommend this it shouldn’t be sold if all it’s going to do is make you throw up."

Chloelove973 February 12, 2018

For Cough "Took only 2 doses for a cough and have been feeling nauseous and weak for going on 3 days now. Vomited on second day. Horrible etc drug that from all the other reviews I'm seeing, should not be sold! I have never had any reaction to any cold medicine anywhere close to anything like this before. Avoid!"

zpatient123 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

For Cough "I have never been so scared in my life! I took Delsym 12 hr relief at 10pm for a mild cough, I woke up at 3am in a panic attack. My entire body was tingly, I couldn't feel myself breathing, my heart rate was 115 and I was sure I was gonna die. It took close to 24 hours for this to wear off. I don't recommend to anyone, this stuff is poison and should NOT be sold OTC!"

Sp3636 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Cough "I found out that I tested positive for the flu a few weeks back and now that I've made a recovery, In dealing with a lingering and bothersome cough that has been difficult to shake. I tried it all from warm tea to cough drops and cough syrup. So my mom decided to buy me Delsym despite the high price. We assumed it had to be of some good.. but we're very wrong. It has done NOTHING for me, just sent me to the rest room. This product was a waste of my money."

D. Suber February 7, 2018

For Cough "I took it this morning for a cough related to sinus congestion. It didn't work at all, in fact I'm coughing worse now than before. I did experience mild diarrhea earlier in the day too. Most ineffective medicine I've ever tried. Do not recommend!"

Coughing worse now (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Cough "I took the delsym and EXACTLY 10 minutes after taking it every time it causes me to cough until I sometimes almost vomit. Makes it worse. :/"

Anonymous54599545 January 31, 2018

For Cough "11 hours later I am still dealing with the side effects. Nausea, diarrhea, & chills. I'd rather have the cough!"

Mmill (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

For Cough "Got rid of my cough fairly quick, gave me extremely upset stomach to the point of vomiting and gave me diarrhea. Also experienced dizziness."

SydneyFord January 14, 2018

For Cough "Did NOT work!! Got chills, sweats and still coughing. They should be ashamed selling this mess."

Tore' January 13, 2018

For Cough "This is the most useless medicine I've ever taken! I have the flu so I have all the symptoms... fever, chills, aches, and congestion. I took delsym to ease the coughing and instead of doing anything, all it did was give me diarrhea and I was still coughing to the point of gagging. Thanks for adding to my problems delsym!"

S c j u rv (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

For Cough "I have tried many cough syrups and meds. This is the only one that worked for my teens. The prior review is unfortunate but I use this year after year. It works for cough! And dries up the faucet."

Mother of 3 active teens (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

For Cough "Absolute nightmare. Do not take for the love of god! I took for a upper respiratory cough at around 4pm and the nightmare began shortly after when I got the chills so bad I couldn’t stand up. I was sweating bullets but freezing cold. After that stopped, this poison passed me out at which point I had the most extreme nonsense nightmares I’ve ever had in my life. Atop all this, I coughed and coughed and coughed to the point of gagging. This medicine is poison. Wouldn’t recommend it to my worst enemy. Such an astronomical waste of money, time, health and sleep. I poured the remainder down the toilet and felt bad that the water treatment facility now had to deal with this absolute toxic waste."

Absolute poison beware December 25, 2017

For Cough "I bought this Delsym a few days ago for cough and when I opened it to poor myself some in the measuring cup I heard some tingle noise but ignored it. When I took a sip of it I was curious and pored some out in the sink and I saw GLASS APPEAR TO BE COMING OUT OF PLASTIC BOTTLE. I'm so glad I didn't take it and now I'll make sure to report it to the FDA."

Nora Aguirre (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2017

For Cough "The first time I took Delsym (a couple years ago), I landed in the ER because I thought I was dying: severe nausea, chills, sweats, shakes, dizziness, shortness of breath, and the dreaded diarrhea. I didn't make the connection that it was the Delsym until it happened to me again a couple days ago. Almost identical symptoms as the first time, but this time instead of just nausea, I was also vomiting profusely. I'm glad it works for others, but please don't "poo-poo" (pun intended) those whose experience was less-than-pleasant. We're all different, and what works for one won't work for another."

Never-Again-Anne December 9, 2017

For Cough "Looked up ingredients in Delsym. Active Ingredients: Dextromethorphan Polistirex Inactive Ingredients: Citric Acid, Edetate Disodium, Ethyl Cellulose, FD&C Yellow 6 Aluminum Lake, Flavor, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Methylparaben, Polyethylene Glycol 3350, Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Purified Water, Sucrose (Sugar), Tragacanth, Vegetable Oil, Xanthan Gum. Polyethylene glycol 3350 is, get this, MIRALAX! No wonder we get explosive diarrhea!"

Barnwellgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

For Cough "Had taken Delsym brand since Saturday for aggravating cough, adding to it Mucinex as my former doctor always insisted. No problems except smelled the Mucinex in my stools, but no real cough control either. 10 p.m. last night took first dose from bottle of Equate brand like Delsym and a Mucinex. At 1:30 a.m. I had the first of hours of sudden, explosive, watery diarrhea. Thought I’d been exposed to stomach virus, but no nausea or vomiting. Still in agony this morning and still coughing so took another dose of the Delsym knock off and decided to research side effects since it didn’t match stomach viruses I’d had in the past. Why did I do that? I just ran for my Immodium, since having IBS-D it is my best friend. No more Delsym!"

Barnwellgal (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

For Cough "I have used the kid version with success for my children. It does work well to stop a dry cough. It lasts 8 hours, rather than 12. Unfortunately, the last time I used it for my child, she ended up dry heaving for hours and had a bout of explosive diarrhea. It stopped once the medicine wore off (about 8 hours after her dose)."

ILoveSandwiches December 5, 2017

For Cough "Boy, do I wish I had read the reviews on this medicine BEFORE I took it! I have been sick for a week with a nasty virus and finally broke down late last night and took a dose of Delsym. I admit it stopped my cough in its tracks but I woke up six hours later with such bad diarrhea it was like my keister had sprouted a fountain. My husband took it and within a short time developed terrible chills. I think, from this point forward, I will just deal with the cough."

Peglet11 (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

For Cough "This cough syrup is no good, and is very expensive! It also gave me diarrhea.. So disappointing"

ALanaJ (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

For Cough "After taking this cough syrup, I woke up and I experienced the most awful panic attack. Fingers tingling, feeling 'weird' thinking I was at deaths door. The only explanation was the cough syrup, I was pondering whether to call 911 and didn't because I KNEW it was the Delsym and it probably would pass with time. Drank a lot of water to hopefully flush it out faster. I will NEVER take Delsym again. Would like to know what ingredient gave me such a violent reaction."

grotemuis (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2017

For Cough "Sadly no relief from my painful cough that started the other day, no diarrhea yet but now I'm afraid of what will happen when I got to bed after reading the reviews here. Sad that a pharmacist recommended it and I could get better relief for my throats and cough from a warmed up shot of whiskey. Don't bother with this rubbish"

JeyG September 27, 2017

For Cough "Have a sinus infection which causes a pretty bad cough... got tired of it and reached for Delsym (I bought it a month earlier for my son's bad cough and it worked for him)... took it at 3pm today and by 5pm I had the runs!!! Cough was gone, but it made me go! I don't have IBS or any digestive issues so it seems to be affiliated with this medicine... up to you if it's worth it... for me it was that's how bad my cough was."

Sinusbutdeadly (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

For Cough "Delsym Cough (Orange Flavored) has really worked on my cough. I did have a pretty good headache but I took Ibuprofen for that. I have not experience any stomach problems other than nausea when I woke up this morning and I threw up. I was able to go to work today."

Amymm September 8, 2017