User Reviews for Delsym

Cough
3.2

Reviews for Delsym

Dd123 · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2021

For Cough: “I've had a bad cough for several days thought it was COVID it wasn't, but the cough was getting really bad. Bought some Delsym took some of it and about 15-20 minutes later watery diarrhea just started pouring out my butt I didn't even need to push it just poured out like someone turned a faucet on in my butt thank God I work by myself and Target was across the street. Other than the diarrhea I haven't coughed all day LOL”

Anonymous July 2, 2012

For Cough: “I actually came on the site to see if severe diarrhea was a listed side effect. I have taken other products with the same active ingredients and not had this happen. Twice I have taken Delsym, which I buy for my kids, and had severe diarrhea. It must be an sweetener or thickener that they use. That being said, I haven't coughed in hours.”

Sadwife December 7, 2020

For Cough: “My husband started using Delsym when he found out how much DXM is in it. He's severely addicted he walks in the stores weren't readily available and steals it he recently just got kicked out of rehab for having 10 bottles in his room he will drink two or three bottles of time and he can't walk or talk he gets totally out of his mind for weeks on in the stuff should be illegal I hate Delsym I hate cold medicine anything with DXM in it ruining people's life”

Sha-J · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2021

For Cough: “I had a sinus infection, and took the antibiotics along with Mucinex D, and it cleared right up. However, I had a lingering dry cough (probably unrelated, but who knows?). I picked up some Delsym for the dry cough, along with Benadryl, before bed, and slept like a baby. I took another dose of Delsym before work, and didn't cough nearly as much as I had been. It didn't make me drowsy, dizzy, nauseous, "high", nor did it give me diarrhea or stomach cramps. Everyone reacts to medication differently, and I am not by any means downplaying anyone who had such horrible side effects! I just wanted to share that some good can come for some with this medication.”

AngelaIsMyRealName · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2016

For Cough: “At the risk of someone thinking I'm the "same person as other posters," I'm Posting my real name. I've had a nagging cough, and chose to try Delsym again, as I've had success in the past with it. I commute 30 miles to work. I got within a mile of my office and coughed.......and pooped all over myself. Yes. Explosive diarrhea in my scrubs! It was awful. I'm sitting in the work parking lot,calling the girls outside since I can't move out of my car! Forward......I'm home but can't get more than twenty minutes away from a toilet. If you take this, trust me, you won't cough, just like it says, for 12 hours. You'll be afraid to. Take something else, please. After all, it has been a terribly shi€€y day for me.”

Delsym runs February 19, 2015

For Cough: “Delsym is ok at cough suppression, depending on severity, but if you want to have hot liquid diarrhea all night within hours, then this is your medication. It sent me to the toilet faster than the laxatives you take the day before a colonoscopy. And it did not stop until 12 hours later. This is the single most poisonous substance I have ever ingested. ”

grotemuis · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 4, 2017

For Cough: “After taking this cough syrup, I woke up and I experienced the most awful panic attack. Fingers tingling, feeling 'weird' thinking I was at deaths door. The only explanation was the cough syrup, I was pondering whether to call 911 and didn't because I KNEW it was the Delsym and it probably would pass with time. Drank a lot of water to hopefully flush it out faster. I will NEVER take Delsym again. Would like to know what ingredient gave me such a violent reaction.”

woman over 40 · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

For Cough: “I took Delsym last evening and began to feel strange. Then I felt anxious, nauseous, had a full-on panic attack with screaming. I rehearsed calling 911 in case. I had visionary hallucinations......I can't believe this med is on the market. I rode it out, and it was a bad trip!!! DO NOT TAKE!”

JoS · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

For Cough: “I bought Delsym as it was recommended by a family member for my bad cough. I took the correct dosage and within 1 hour I was nauseous. It has been 24 hours and still nauseous. I also feel shaky with a rapid heartbeat. Please be aware this medication has major side effects.”

Celeste · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

For Cough: “I’ve taken delsym and delsym max strength, and after a day or two it does start to loosen up the tight congestion in my lungs. The only problem with it, is it causes me extreme stomach distress. It doesn’t matter if I take it on an empty stomach or not, but about 15 minutes after taking a dose I experience extreme nausea. About 30-60 minutes later I will have to run to the bathroom, I’m not going to go into detail, but to say the least; I don’t go in there and puke. I’m not sure if I have a sensitivity to something in it? Or if it’s normal to experience this? I don’t take cough medicine often, but I don’t remember having this severe of side effects from other brands, but I digress. If you chose delsym, especially max strength, be prepared to possibly trade your cough for bathroom troubles.”

Rizzledizzle · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2015

For Cough: “Stopped the cough, but jump started my bowels. Took it before bed and spent the morning on the toilet. All I had before was a cough, now I can't leave the house. Wish I could charge them for a sick day. On the upside: I'm just one dose of Delsym from my goal weight!”

melodia January 22, 2016

For Cough: “I bought this medicine for my husband and after reading all these reviews I was hesitant to give it to him. His coughing not only kept him up but myself. He did take it after all and believe me he slept through the night and so did I. I can honestly say I am glad I did not listen to these reviews it really worked.”

Smarter now January 20, 2016

For Cough: “I wish I had read the reviews before taking this product! Forty five minutes after taking Delsym I had lots of belly gurgling then painful cramps and then immediate violent diarrhea! I got so dizzy & lightheaded while sitting on the toilet I almost passed out. I will never take this product again & will advise all friends & family to avoid it as well. As far as suppressing my cough, I was too afraid to cough for some time after the diarrhea started!!”

InformedConsumer89 January 6, 2016

For Cough: “Helped the dry cough for sure! But I am currently on the can as I write this. The reviews are spot on (Wish I read them before I took up to 3 doses). I've traded a horrible cough for uncontrollable bowel movements!”

LO December 29, 2019

For Cough: “I started taking Delsym for a viral cough that's going around. The coughing has stopped. But this morning, I woke up with a lot of diarrhea. Watery, my stomach is making these loud bubble noises, (bubble guts), and I've been to the bathroom 5 times now. I woke up at 4am to start work, I'm a 100% remote IT specialist. So the one thing that is saving me is at least I'm not onsite in the office because I would've had to leave work. I read the other reviews, and it seems the diarrhea is the main thing. No dizziness, high, vertigo feelings for me. I'll match this up with some immodium AD to stop the diarrhea. Everybody is different, and sometimes you have to find what works best for you. Happy New Year, and feel better folks.”

ChaosQueen October 25, 2016

For Cough: “Woke up in the middle of the night with a horrendous cough. I decided to take the some cough medicine and went back to sleep. It stopped the cough. Then I woke up in my own excrement (seriously), severe diarrhea. Heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, sweating and confusion. I almost went to the emergency room. I will never take this again.”

Never Again ever December 29, 2016

For Cough: “Do NOT use this product! I have given this to my children when they were younger but have never taken it myself. Had a cough, decided to try it. (Only had a yogurt early in the morning) took Delsym at noonish. Made a sandwich around 1:30 or so. Mid-sandwich.....I literally pooped my pants!!! I had to run to the bathroom where I suffered w raging diarrhea!! I hadn't had a stomach ache or any symptoms prior. For the rest of the day I haven't eaten or really drank. It's now 6:10 and I'm sipping on water and at times feel like I could vomit. Stomach still gurgling. Something made me look up if Delsym could cause this and I see so many other similar reviews. I will never take it again”

Sp3636 · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2018

For Cough: “I have never been so scared in my life! I took Delsym 12 hr relief at 10pm for a mild cough, I woke up at 3am in a panic attack. My entire body was tingly, I couldn't feel myself breathing, my heart rate was 115 and I was sure I was gonna die. It took close to 24 hours for this to wear off. I don't recommend to anyone, this stuff is poison and should NOT be sold OTC!”

Texangirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For Cough: “The medicine works really, really well. I took it at 7:30am before work and have not coughed and its almost noon. HOWEVER, the medicine has made me super dizzy and loopy. I almost feel like I am borderline drunk. My fingers are also numb and cold but that's going away as the time goes on. I love this medicine and this is the first time I have ever experienced these symptoms.”

BBS · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2018

For Cough: “Took dose of Delsym at 10:30 pm. Awoke at 3 am with diarrhea and dizziness. At 7:30 am: headache, dizziness, nausea and pupils were dilated. Now 18 hours later, still dizzy, headache with dilated pupils.”

zpatient123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2018

For Cough: “Took only 2 doses for a cough and have been feeling nauseous and weak for going on 3 days now. Vomited on second day. Horrible etc drug that from all the other reviews I'm seeing, should not be sold! I have never had any reaction to any cold medicine anywhere close to anything like this before. Avoid!”

Ray Nicolet · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2016

For Cough: “I made the mistake of taking this medicine before going to bed. I woke up in my own excrement. Seriously, this no laughing matter. It was like something out of a Dumb & Dumber movie. I had a raging case of explosive diarrhea. I feel sorry for the poor souls who don't use at least 3-ply toilet paper. Food went right through me like fat people go through twinkles. I would only recommend if you take a lower dosage than the recommended one.”

The squirts · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2016

For Cough: “Didn't do anything for my cough, as a matter a fact I was scared to cough because I didn't want to poop my pants!!! 45 minutes after taking this I had explosive diarrhea, my stomach was bubbling I thought I had to pass gas so I attempted to do so to my surprise it wasn't gas but explosive diarrhea it was all over my bed. Stay away from this product unless you want to loose weight!!”

Made me feel weird January 19, 2019

For Cough: “I took Delsym for my allergies. It worked really good the first two days. But on the third day it made me feel like I was drunk or high, not really dizzy. I was disoriented and couldn’t focus and my mind was all over the place. I thought that maybe I had just not eaten enough that day or something, but after seeing the reviews I guess other people experienced this too.”

sick workin woman September 6, 2014

For Cough: “It did stop the cough, got up all the junk in my lungs and allowed me to continue my work day. However it gave me such terrible stomach pain I was very near calling it quits and going home. Taking a smaller dose with food made this problem much more tolerable, yet that burning feeling lingered for hours after.”