User Reviews for Delsym

3.4

Summary of Delsym reviews 3.4 170 reviews

Reviews for Delsym

Amazed · Taken for 10 years or more June 21, 2019

"My son had chronic ear Infections when he was little and continues to have them every time he gets a cold. He is now 30 years old and continues to use Delsym 12 Hour Cough Syrup to avoid an ear Infection. He takes a dose at night and a dose in the morning at onset of a cold. As the cold begins to subside he stops the dose in the morning and just takes it at night until the cold is completely gone. I've told a lot of people about it and only one person has told me that it didn't work. I have taken Delsym myself and neither of us have experienced feeling drugged or have had the explosive diarrhea that others on these reviews have spoken of. Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate. It thins the mucous so it can drain properly and not cause the infection. I'm no doctor but just figured it out on my own years ago when I was told that it thins the mucous. I had him try it and he has been avoiding ear infections every since. Beats antibiotics and surgeries."

Suzy · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2019

For Cough "Took 1 cap of Delsym 12 hour cough syrup for my cough and 3 hours later had diarrhea like never before. Explosive!! First and last time I will ever take it!"

Chickadee · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2019

For Cough "I took Delsym once and didn't help cough, decided to try a second dose more than 12 hours later still no help, but now have explosive diarrhea. (Not ideal when you have a bad cough!) Would not recommend."

Dhaval April 2, 2019

For Cough "I took this syrup after my dinner and woke up with heavy head and dizziness and it only got worse by the afternoon. To an extent that if I close my eyes everything will start spinning. Its more than 24 hours now and I am still facing this issue. Will never recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 18, 2019

For Cough "Bought it for cough, took it at 10pm tonight & my nose is running/burning, eyes watery & burning. I can't take anything till 10am comes. Not happy & still have cough too."

Mom of three · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

For Cough "This medicine is a joke! Doesn't work at all!!"

els March 10, 2019

For Cough "Delsym was awful. It did cause explosive diarrhea, which I did not need on top of already being sick with a chest cold. I've never had such bad diarrhea."

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2019

For Cough "First time trying this cough medicine. Had a persistent cough for more than 2 weeks so I decided to try it as I hadn’t been sleeping well due to my persistent coughing. The medicine works great on getting rid of the cough however it comes with the side affect of feeling drunk yet high at the same time. I am very lethergic initially an hour after taking it. However, then I have this mental clarity phase where I become very focus and productive about 5 to 6 hours after taking the medicine. I will continue to use it for my cough as it works and because I don’t mind the side affects."

Texangirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

For Cough "The medicine works really, really well. I took it at 7:30am before work and have not coughed and its almost noon. HOWEVER, the medicine has made me super dizzy and loopy. I almost feel like I am borderline drunk. My fingers are also numb and cold but that's going away as the time goes on. I love this medicine and this is the first time I have ever experienced these symptoms."

Ya don't take this · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

For Cough "Learned the hard way that this stuff causes explosive diarrhea. I wouldn't take this if you have any plans for the rest of the day. Honestly not sure if it really even helped with my cough or if I was just getting better with time. Wish I looked into it more earlier on instead of waiting. It feels like they have added the active ingredient for miralax in a drug designed for already sick people?"

Maria · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2019

For Cough "Helped with the dry cough I was having for over 1 month. Robitussin didn't help at all and as soon as I took Delsym it helped me sleep through the night and no more dry cough. It actually loosened the mucus and I could actually cough phlegm. So thankful for this OTC medicine!"

Ree January 24, 2019

For Cough "I have no complaints about delsym medicine. It always work great for my colds. However, it’s the orange cup that is very hard to see the dosage prescribed. I suggest either bolding the dosage in black letters or a different color cup. Hard on the eyes for people like me with eye conditions."

Made me feel weird January 19, 2019

For Cough "I took Delsym for my allergies. It worked really good the first two days. But on the third day it made me feel like I was drunk or high, not really dizzy. I was disoriented and couldn’t focus and my mind was all over the place. I thought that maybe I had just not eaten enough that day or something, but after seeing the reviews I guess other people experienced this too."

Rich · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2019

For Cough "Recommended by Pharmacist for persistent dry cough. Took about 1 hour to notice any difference. Then it seemed to virtually stop the cough. I stuck to the twice a day measuring cup instructions and was very pleased with the result. It did not completely stop the cough but stopped it being a constant problem. Would recommend for dry coughs. None of the drowsiness that some other cough medicines induce."

Anonymous January 13, 2019

For Cough "It's does stop the coughing but the SEVERE CRAMPING, diarrhea, and dizziness are not worth it! I was 2 days in before I realized that those symptoms weren't part of my flu.... It was the Delsym! BEWARE!!!"

Grandson · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

For Cough "My grandson coughed for a few days, doctor recommended it, not one cough since- I can’t believe it!!!"

BBS · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2018

For Cough "Took dose of Delsym at 10:30 pm. Awoke at 3 am with diarrhea and dizziness. At 7:30 am: headache, dizziness, nausea and pupils were dilated. Now 18 hours later, still dizzy, headache with dilated pupils."

Fox December 21, 2018

For Cough "My son took it and his coughs got way way worse and it severely dehydrated him. I will never buy this product again!!!"

Lees · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2018

For Cough "I traded my congestion and cough for horrendous diarrhea and nausea. Horrendous. Will never use this again."

Chickadee · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

For Cough "This product is NO GOOD. I purchased for myself. Have a bad cough due to cold /sick. I'm not a smoker. It didn't help at all. I didn't stop coughing. It did make me feel nauseous though. If I could, I would have rated it a ZERO OR NEGATIVE TEN."

Marv · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2018

For Cough "It’s a false advertisement on the product. I gave delsym to my son and it was a waste of money. It doesn’t help his cough a bit but kept him miserable all night long. He was tossing and turning all night, yet he almost coughed his lungs out. I never gave him a second dose after the false 12hrs."

Jam · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2018

For Cough "I gave this to my 14 year old son. When he went to bed he was seeing colorful lights, dizzyness, his whole body was shaking, he couldn't walk straight, his whole was stiff, he couldn't open his jaw, he was tossing and turning all night and didn't sleep and felt really lethargic."

Celeste · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

For Cough "I’ve taken delsym and delsym max strength, and after a day or two it does start to loosen up the tight congestion in my lungs. The only problem with it, is it causes me extreme stomach distress. It doesn’t matter if I take it on an empty stomach or not, but about 15 minutes after taking a dose I experience extreme nausea. About 30-60 minutes later I will have to run to the bathroom, I’m not going to go into detail, but to say the least; I don’t go in there and puke. I’m not sure if I have a sensitivity to something in it? Or if it’s normal to experience this? I don’t take cough medicine often, but I don’t remember having this severe of side effects from other brands, but I digress. If you chose delsym, especially max strength, be prepared to possibly trade your cough for bathroom troubles."

Jbwrdc · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2018

For Cough "I have to admit that this is one of the most effective cough suppressants I've ever taken. Unfortunately, I seem to experience side effects from it, thankfully not rampant diarrhea like many people seems to be experiencing, but I still can't take it anymore. Delsym has a commonly reported side effect of dizziness, but what I experience feels more like dizziness meets an acid trip. It's extremely unsettling and didn't happen the first time I took it; more like the 10th. But it happens every time I take it now. Bummer"

FeelinDrunk · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2018

For Cough "Well. On one hand, my throat felt less scratchy so I coughed less-- on the other hand, I felt drunk as anything. Super dizzy and hot."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)