User Reviews for Delsym

Cough
3.3

Summary of Delsym reviews 3.3 144 reviews

Reviews for Delsym

For Cough "I have no complaints. I don’t even mind the taste. Works like a charm."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

For Cough "Delsym does not help a bit and it definitely does not last for 12 hours. False advertising, really DELSYM it's really expensive for a product that doesn't help."

Brandon (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Cough "I was taking this medication for about 3 days and I experienced stomach aches every day. Only stopped my coughing for a few hours. When I took the medication yesterday morning, I felt very dizzy and couldn’t stand up straight."

TA (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

For Cough "After an hour of taking Delsym as directed for my cough I started to get a feeling high sensation as if I had been drinking. Luckily it didn't last long. Didn't get rid of my cough either!!"

Bibi (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2018

For Cough "This did NOT calm my cough down AT ALL! Would like my money back, as it is expensive and ineffective."

Debi (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Cough " I went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist for a medicine to calm my cough and he recommended Delsym. I have been taking it 3 days and the cough has worsened because now every time I cough I vomit. In these 3 days I have not been able to keep a single meal in my stomach; Just today I stopped taking it and I stopped vomiting, apparently what was causing me the most damage was this medication. I do not recommend it at all."

Loly (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Cough "Took recommended dose at night. Woke up completely disoriented and dizzy - and had extreme waves of anxiety and feeling like I was going to pass out all day. Finally seemed to wear off around 24 hours later but was THE WORST experience. This was actually my second time - I tried it again just to make sure that it was the medicine causing it and not some strange panic attack. It's definitely the medicine."

me (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Cough "Uhh I took this medicine for a severe cough because of seasonal allergies. I was taking Mucinex but it wasn't as effective immediately. So I asked my mom, who also deals worth allergy issues and she gives me this Delsym. It did, in fact, suppress my urge to cough but with major repercussions. It is now 10 pm, 12 hours after my first dose and I can't stand myself right now. I feel so disoriented that it is hard to focus on this message but it is important that I share my experience so I can save some the trouble of this way. I have an anxiety disorder, this is important for others like me so they know that this medicine has made me feel so incredibly bad that I have seriously, seriously dark thoughts about myself. I just want to stop this unexplainable, very terrible feeling throughout my entire body and brain. I hope this horrible experience will end soon. I'll be sure to update on how long the effects last. So far, 12 hours and counting..."

Donewithbigpharma (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

For Cough "I take delsum when I get sick and have a cough if I don't go to the doctor. It does work great. Stops my cough completely. Can cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach. My only problem with it is I can't go to sleep all the way. I end up in a drowsy state kind of like when you've just started to fall asleep-still kind of aware of surroundings. This cycles pretty much all night with wakefulness about every hour. The night seems to last for days, and my alarm going off is a relief. Not too tired the next day but not an enjoyable feeling for me, although a night of all night coughing is more miserable. So pros and cons for its use. In the daytime it can cause tiredness but does knock out the cough."

Nonsmiley (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2018

For Cough "I’ve given this to my daughter twice , children’s dose, and both times she has vomited within 30 minutes . Do not recommend."

KD (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

For Cough "I took a dose of Delsym at 9pm and felt my cough calm down before bed. Woke up at 3am filled with anxiety and two hours later, I'm still awake. After reading all the negative reviews and the reaction I have, I don't think I'll take this medicine again. Hoping my stomach stays strong. Picking up some elderberry syrup once the sun comes up."

Can't sleep at all (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Cough "I had a dry cough and asked a pharmacist what would be the best to take. He suggested this Delsym ,so I bought it. Less then an hour later a wave of dizziness hit me. I was not sure what was going on . Then, I began to feel like I was going to vomit. I threw up from 7 pm until 8am. I had extreme anxiety, shook, my stomach cramped and gurgled . At one point I thought I was having a toxic reaction . This is hour 16 and I am still shaking, my pupils are still dilated, and Im utterly exhausted. Im not sure how its even legal to sell this OTC."

KK (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Cough "I took Delsym 12 hr for a cough and it worked pretty good for me. I thought I did not have any side effects from it. A few days later I found that my Fibromyalgia pain had nearly disappeared, so what I worked out was great dextromethorphan for fibromyalgia pain. I was able to go to bed and get out of bed without any pain. I had almost forgot what it was like to be pain free. After much research on the active ingredient in Delsym, it was confirmed that dextromethorphan does block pain receptors in the brain. I continued to take the recommended dosage at 10AM and at 10PM. After about a month I it seemed I was more tired than usual. I cut the dosage back to just once at 10PM and was hopeful that would help with me being tired. Yes, it was better but still too tired every day. I have stopped Delsym completely. My pain is back in full fibromyalgia force but being tired has gotten much better. So, do I want to be tired all the time or do I want to deal with pain all the time. I haven't decided that yet."

Lyette March 13, 2018

For Cough "Might as well take tap water for your cough. Delsym 12 hour did nothing except drain my pocketbook."

Ripped Off (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

For Cough "First time I used delsym was last night The first dose didn’t do anything to me. After taking the second dose at 11:30 pm I went to bed praying for the cough to go way About 4 am I woke up with a big pain in my chest. Scared to death I was getting ready to call 911 When I thought to read some reviews of delsym Here you go — delsym was the reason The pain was there for 3 hours - my biggest nightmare ! I'll never ever take this medication again"

Mira March 11, 2018

For Cough "After I felt the early symptoms of a sore throat and cough, I picked up some Delsym Cold and Cough Nightime since I had used the Delsym orange cough relief medicine before with some success. This formula was definitely a mistake. I took the first dose yesterday afternoon, and by yesterday evening I had loose stools and vomiting, but my first thought was maybe a virus on top of the cold...took the second dose in the early morning of today after coughing uncontrollably all night. Again I was vomiting and still coughing. After the third dose and the same result this afternoon, I decided to do a little research and found these reviews. So glad I did. Never again!!"

Leighbee (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2018

For Cough "DO NOT take Delsym with alcohol. No where on the box does it say that! I had wine with dinner and later took the prescribed dosage of Delsym because I had a cough that was preventing me from sleeping. The next thing I knew was waking up on the kitchen floor with ambulance personnel in my house! I hit my head on the floor which caused a brain bleed. I had to be air lifted to a regional hospital and put in the ICU. Luckily the bleed stopped and they didn't have to crack my head open to do brain surgery! Recovery was a nightmare with months of headache, dizziness, and zero energy. I still have residual effects a year later. They did a lot of tests in the hospital to figure out what caused me to faint, but all of them showed no problems so it had to have been the Delsym. I don't know for sure of course that the combination of wine with Delsym caused me to pass out. It could have been just the Delsym, but I want to warn people. This stuff is dangerous!!!"

Brain Damage (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Cough "I bought this for a dry nagging cough. It worked great for the cough. I took the 12 hour version. I did however stay up for several hours with a rapid heart beat and nausea. It's been 16 hours and I still feel shaky and a bit loopy from the medication."

sensitive to meds (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

For Cough "I used this because I had a terrible cough so I took it before bed. I was up all night nauseous and feeling terrible. Then I threw up from this medicine I don’t recommend this it shouldn’t be sold if all it’s going to do is make you throw up."

Chloelove973 February 12, 2018

For Cough "Took only 2 doses for a cough and have been feeling nauseous and weak for going on 3 days now. Vomited on second day. Horrible etc drug that from all the other reviews I'm seeing, should not be sold! I have never had any reaction to any cold medicine anywhere close to anything like this before. Avoid!"

zpatient123 (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

For Cough "I have never been so scared in my life! I took Delsym 12 hr relief at 10pm for a mild cough, I woke up at 3am in a panic attack. My entire body was tingly, I couldn't feel myself breathing, my heart rate was 115 and I was sure I was gonna die. It took close to 24 hours for this to wear off. I don't recommend to anyone, this stuff is poison and should NOT be sold OTC!"

Sp3636 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Cough "I found out that I tested positive for the flu a few weeks back and now that I've made a recovery, In dealing with a lingering and bothersome cough that has been difficult to shake. I tried it all from warm tea to cough drops and cough syrup. So my mom decided to buy me Delsym despite the high price. We assumed it had to be of some good.. but we're very wrong. It has done NOTHING for me, just sent me to the rest room. This product was a waste of my money."

D. Suber February 7, 2018

For Cough "I took it this morning for a cough related to sinus congestion. It didn't work at all, in fact I'm coughing worse now than before. I did experience mild diarrhea earlier in the day too. Most ineffective medicine I've ever tried. Do not recommend!"

Coughing worse now (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

For Cough "I took the delsym and EXACTLY 10 minutes after taking it every time it causes me to cough until I sometimes almost vomit. Makes it worse. :/"

Anonymous54599545 January 31, 2018

For Cough "11 hours later I am still dealing with the side effects. Nausea, diarrhea, & chills. I'd rather have the cough!"

Mmill (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018