User Reviews for Delsym

Cough 84 reviews 788 medications

3.4
Summary of Delsym reviews 84 reviews 3.4

Reviews for Delsym

For Cough "This stuff is useless, in fact I am coughing more and worse after taking it. Thank goodness I only bought a small bottle, since it is kind of expensive for something that does not work at all. Will never take this garbage again."

still coughing February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Well it stopped my cough...but it also gave me extremely watery diarrhea that had me running to the bathroom every 10-30 minutes for hours and hours. It must have been at least 8 hours before my stomach calmed down. It left me feeling dehydrated and sick, but hey. At least my cough was gone, right?"

Tomjjc February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I took for a constant, deep barking cough. I worked quickly and well, calming my cough and allowing me to get sleep. However, it makes me incredibly drowsy - way worse then unisom. There was also bit of dizziness. I did not have any gastrointestinal side effects. I will use it again but only at night since it knocks me out"

ClaireA (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I bought this for a cough for my bronchitis. It is beyond worthless. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. I called my doctor for a prescription for Robitussin with Codeine and it was $5.00 cheaper and very effective. (generic-of course)"

mexrph February 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I went to my pharmacy and I asked the pharmacist what can she recommend for a dry cough she said its Delsym. I tell you you will be drowsy....so I didn't mind at all because its a good thing for me I can sleep. When I took it I was waiting to see if it was effective - to my surprise I keep coughing the whole night as if I didn't take any medications....so if a cough product doesn't work for an adult - you shouldn't recommend it.....waste of money!"

Coughing Lady (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "My 4 year old had major diarrhea after taking this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Took this medicine at 7:00pm, recommended by the pharmacist, but still I'm coughing like crazy from a cold and sinus problem. Not sure if I want to hold my breath for another 10.5 hours? Hopefully this will help someone else, and I'm going to return this tomorrow."

Gregoryk February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "It definitely helped my cough but I did have some minor stomach problems with it and I did feel kind of light-headed at times. Not like I was going to be dizzy or pass out but just kind of odd."

Genie50 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "About 15 minutes after taking exactly the dose indicated, I fainted and cracked my head on the floor resulting in a brain hemorrhage! Several tests were done in the hospital to rule out any other reason for fainting. The only conclusion is that I had a severe reaction to the ingredient in this cough medicine. Be careful!! Read all the reviews BEFORE taking this medicine!"

Brain Injury!! (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Polystirex is the slow release formulation is it an edible plastic? thats what irritated most of your bowels...I have ibs and have had no similar side effects which amazes me. For cough eh its ok. No better than hot tea like the other reviewer said...I'll stick with immediate release dmx. Not particularly happy about consuming plastic..."

Debbbbbb January 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Went to urgent care and the doctor recommended Delsym he warned me it can cause diarrhea so to take Imodium with it to counteract it. It definitely helped suppress the cough, and tasted much better than NyQuil. (That contains Benadryl & Tylenol)"

Laura_Pea January 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I have a hard time believing that there are so many people that are claiming diarrhea. I had no such experience. It also calmes my cough. I have IBS, which affects the bowels very easily. I have also known other people that have used Delsym and nobody has had this happen to them. It tastes better and really works. I have to say I suspect 1 or 2 people that had a bad experience have written multiple times too warn others. I hope people are going to more than one site to get reviews."

KatrinaCeleste January 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I took this late at night expecting it to work and I should have read the reviews first it didn't stop my cough at all and I think made it worse I ended up just sucking on a cough drop which worked better than this. It is now 5:30am and my stomach feels twisted like I'm going to vomit but I don't have anything to vomit because I haven't eaten anything and it has to be the cough syrup because I have had the cough drops before. I'm never going to use this medicine again."

Liv_ January 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "This medicine shouldn't even get a 1. Hopefully you were smart and read the reviews before taking because I didn't. First night I took it, I woke up in the morning and vomited three times. Continued to take it the following day (thought the vomiting was due to something I ate) and continued to vomit. I will never take again."

Lyons955 January 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Due to a medical condition I was told this was the safest cough suppressant for me to take. I took it before bed and woke up in the middle of the night extremely nauseous. Although it did suppress my cough I can do without the nausea !"

Teecher (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Do NOT use this product! I have given this to my children when they were younger but have never taken it myself. Had a cough, decided to try it. (Only had a yogurt early in the morning) took Delsym at noonish. Made a sandwich around 1:30 or so. Mid-sandwich.....I literally pooped my pants!!! I had to run to the bathroom where I suffered w raging diarrhea!! I hadn't had a stomach ache or any symptoms prior. For the rest of the day I haven't eaten or really drank. It's now 6:10 and I'm sipping on water and at times feel like I could vomit. Stomach still gurgling. Something made me look up if Delsym could cause this and I see so many other similar reviews. I will never take it again"

Never Again ever December 29, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I read all these reviews and decided to try it thinking it might work but I was wrong. Do. Not. Take it. First of all it barely helped my cough at all, some tea and honey could've done better than this. In fact I think my cough got even worse. That part that was most upsetting was when I woke up feeling nauseous. I ignored it and next day took it again and I got EXTREMELY light headed, just crazy dizzy. And then I got the diarrhea afterwards....I just felt confused and out of it. This medicine is absolute trash and I don't recommend taking it at all. I usually don't even write reviews either so that should tell you something. 18f"

enicidemyttihs (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I had a very bad cold to the point of settling in my chest. I took Delsym 12 hour to help. I couldn't believe it really worked to keep my cough at bay, but I started to have severe side effects from it. I had dizziness like I was going to blackout, heart palpitations, SOB (shortness of breath), diarrhea and vomiting at the same time (sitting on toilet and holding a bucket at the same time wanting to pass out from the dehydration). Never again, I'll stick with Creomulsion."

FMG54 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I'm sick and have a constant barking cough that's mostly unproductive. I read reviews on amazon to find a good OTC cough suppressant. Delsym had rave reviews. I had hubby pick up the orange. I can say that my coughing has stopped. Delsym absolutely stops the coughing. It's quite wonderful. What's not wonderful are the three bouts of explosive diarrhea I have had since taking it three hours ago. There's more to come as my stomach is still gurgling. This is the really bad stuff. Thank goodness it stops the coughing because if I coughed right now, I'd have diarrhea all over the bed. The medicine DOES stop the coughing, but it's not worth this kind of diarrhea."

Furrawn (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "you will poo your pants within 1 hr of taking this product"

loljghj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Developed a cold that just wouldn't go away and that turned into a cough. Took Vicks, Mucinex, NyQuill, but nothing controlled the cough well. Decided to try Delsym and while it did control the cough much better than the others, I woke up in the early hours of the morning with extreme diarrhea, awful awful cramping, and sweating to death...I literally sat on the toilet for an hour dry heaving because the pain was so bad. It was terrible. For the next 24hrs my stomach just hurt trying to recover. I only thought I had gotten minor food poisoning but this morning when I had just liquid bowel movements again I decided to search reviews since that's the only thing that has changed...am definitely going to stop taking...."

CoughATL (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Took this as a cold medicine because I can't stop coughing. Was all fine and dandy and went out to dinner. Halfway there I had to stop because I felt gurgling in my stomach. Sure enough- diarrhea. I should have listened to the reviews- do NOT take this medicine."

Upset Tummy :/ (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "Woke up in the middle of the night with a horrendous cough. I decided to take the some cough medicine and went back to sleep. It stopped the cough. Then I woke up in my own excrement (seriously), severe diarrhea. Heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, sweating and confusion. I almost went to the emergency room. I will never take this again."

ChaosQueen October 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "I honestly wasn't sure if it was the medication that did this to me, until I just almost took it again and decided to read reviews. A couple hours after I took it, I woke up three different times due to extreme stomach pain. The third time I decided to try to go to the bathroom. My stomach hurt so bad that I felt like the muscles in my stomach were just stuck tight. I felt like I couldn't even go to bathroom because it hurt so bad. After having extreme pain and diarrhea, I started getting chills, lightheaded and swearing profusely. I seriously thought I was going to die and started dialing 911, before laying on my bathroom floor for a couple minutes and it stopped. I wasn't even sure if it was the medication before reading all these."

XK October 6, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough "took this for cough last night and made my stomach hurt almost instantly then woke up to horrible loose stools and stomach cramps it has been 24 hours and i am still in pain. It may have helped the cough slightly but this is way worse!"

verysick123 October 6, 2016