User Reviews for Certolizumab

Also known as: Cimzia

Certolizumab has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings on Drugs.com. 53% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Rheumatoid Arthritis
Non-Radiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis
Summary of Certolizumab reviews 6.7 60 reviews

Reviews for Certolizumab

David · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 9, 2021

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I have been taking Cimza for about 10 years. I tried Enbrel and it worked about 2 months, then went on Humira and it worked for about 6 months. After that I was put on Cimza and have had the very best results for the last 10 years. I pretty much do everything I was doing before RA and it was very bad at one time, my pain was unbearable at onetime. I have had some weight gain (10-15 lbs) but that is fine with me, my lab work comes back great every time.”

Lyn July 2, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Diagnosed with sero-negative RA after five years of joint replacements and worsening pain and disability. Got with a terrific Rheumatologist. On Hcg, methotrexate and then Cimzia. Been on it for just over a year. Life is almost normal! No pain. No flares. Some belly fat weight gain ( yuck), some hair thinning but that’s about it for side effects. Monthly blood work is perfect. Very thankful everyday for giving me my life back! Pray that this continues.”

Cloud · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Just beginning cimzia (certolizumab) and now at one month shots, I actually woke up and my hands moved without pain and stiffness so it works !! The side effects are becoming less. The early side effects were fever and pain, even though it is now helping my joint pain. I have high hopes and will continue with this medicine. I am hoping for less pain and future joint damage”

Porkchop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Dmards were not working and Rheumatologist said MTX was too damaging to liver. I was leary of trying biologics because I gain weight with every new drug I try. Cimzia has given me my life back but I have gained 15-20 lbs. I had a gastric sleeve done 3 yrs ago and maintained same weight for 2 yrs. The weight came on from this drug. Cimzia does cause weight gain. Maybe you will or will not gain weight. These bioligics affect your body chemistry and metabolism. I am depressed about it. But I am working on getting the weight off. I heard others say do not bother it will not come off till you stop the medicine. I would rather be pain free and have a stomach roll than crippled and depressed from pain. I have no other side effects from it. The first few starting doses I had a lot of fatigue for a few days. That went away. Good luck. Remember not everyone gains weight. I just know it did it with me in particular.”

laney lintel January 10, 2012

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This medicine was initially a God send and my joint problems got better to the point that I was able to cut down on my pain killers. Side effects included upset stomach and abdominal pain, muscle pain. Unfortunately I have developed thyroid nodules and my liver has become enlarged and my spleen shrunk - all was well when I had a scan before taking the medicine. Have had to stop the injections and my joint condition has come back with a vengeance. ”

QueSeraSera · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia has been successful for me. RA flares reduced to once every 3 or 4 months, and these have occurred with cause (using my hands for heavy work or undergoing a stressful event). Only possible (not sure to blame Cimzia) side effect has been a recurring minor skin rash that I control with OTC creams. I receive a monthly injection at my rheumatologist, and would hate to give up this medication!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 22, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia was wonderful I had severe rheumatoid arthritis and the flare ups were terrible no side effects and if there were any they were so minimal I didn't notice. It took effect relatively quickly after loading dose and second dose I was able to do things I hadn't be able to do for a while. My only warning is speak with your drug coverage as mine is apex and I had and awful time. They denied so many claims and my dr ended up having to take me off it and then I was worse than when I started with pain and all the flare ups and had to go thru the reauthorization for an alternative drug they would cover. It was terrible I wish I could have the Cimzia my dr originally prescribed”

Pammmmm · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “This drug was a god send, my flares finally were at bay, I was even able to go back to lifting with my fiance 3 times a week! Huge downside is that I had a quick burst of Scalp Psoriasis and since then it has spread all over.. will have to unfortunately say goodbye and find another drug as its getting horribly out of control.”

Aimes · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 15, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I was so hesitant to use Cimzia as I was so scared I would get sick and all the associated risk and side effects of an immune suppressant... well, in 3 weeks It was for the first time in 2 years being pain free. I did feel exhausted and gain weight, whether it was because I lost my will to exercise or the medication directly. I was pain free and I never got sick. Almost 2 years in and I have not even had a cold, one ache or pain etc. I have now changed my diet and forced myself to focus a bit more on my weight, vitamins to increase my energy and feel the best I have felt in 3 years!!! I am still on Cimzia however I am trying to lower my dose. ”

JAC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 5, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia put my RA into remission. Before I started this drug, I thought I would be coping with joint pain for the rest of my life. Now, I function normally for the most part. I haven't really experienced any side effects with this medication, except for a bit of weight gain.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Hi there! I have been taking Cimzia for almost 4 months now and it has been working great for my RA. I can actually function and get out of bed pain free every morning. BUT after starting it, I now have very scaly, dry skin on my face. It is along my jawline, beside my ears, eyelids, sometimes my forehead, and my upper arms. But the biggest issue is that since starting it, I have not ovulated now for 3 cycles whereas before this, my cycles were like clockwork. One of the main reasons I started this medication was so that I could get off of Methotrexate and start trying to conceive. My doctor put me on it and then has been off because of an injury since and I haven't even had the opportunity to talk to her about what's going on. The nurse that I have with the Cimzia support group doesn't know much. Really starting to freak out because I am a bit older and am hoping the ovulation starts again but I am HIGHLY considering stopping the medication altogether.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Took 12 weeks for Cimzia to become effective. Have been on it a year now and experiencing very little stiffness or pain. Only issue is the size of injection, pressure needed to engage it for administration and pain of administration. But only lasts about 15 seconds. I do get fatigue and viral type symptoms but no temperature about 24 hours after taking it.”

Dgcraig 1 · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2021

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was to start today I have done other home injections Humira Embral to name a couple for Psoriatic Arthritis the Cimzia needles are huge they do not glide gently into the skin the needle burns and the medication as going in feels like fire under the skin the medication seems to leak, I immediately had a taste in my throat, I couldn’t even finish the first Injection and as I said I am not new to home Injections. Will be calling my Doctor in the morning to let her know this is not a medication I can use. I would not recommend their choice of syringes for home self injection, along with whatever they use that burns so strongly”

Roy · Taken for less than 1 month April 12, 2018

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I have taken Cimzia for 3 years now with once a month injections. It is a miracle drug. No side effects no arthritis pain no psoriasis and I am physically active everyday. I play tennis, baseball and golf. This is a miracle drug.”

Tibs · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 21, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I use to take Humira and it helped for 2 years, my doc put me on Cimzia around when it first came out. I been on it since 2010 and only 1 problem, my blood pressure goes up. Happens to only 1 out of 100 people, when it starts to wear down my blood pressure returns to normal. I started about 3 yrs ago to only take half dose (one syringe) and that shot will last for 31 days. This is great for me cost wise doing it this way. As far as the psoriasis goes take virgin olive oil 2 TBS every day and good fish oil.”

mb30 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2015

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Cimzia worked the best and fastest for my RA. I was on Simponi & Enbrel before but they stopped working after a few months and took some time to kick in. The only thing is that all these biologics make my psoriasis come back for some reason. Also, I've been having hive-like reactions on my mouth and cheeks almost daily for the past 2 months.”

MW · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “The product Cimzia works OK for my RA, but the company is one of the worst in regards to patient support, I would try others like Humira first prior to starting this. It should be a last option just due to the lack of patient support. I would list all of the areas they are lacking in, but it would take too long. Other Biologics have their act together with better HUBs and support.”

Anonymous November 10, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Crohn's Disease: “Just to update, after 2 years of success, this medication caused me Drug-induced lupus (DIL) just like the others. I have partial use of my one hand and whole-body joint pain. I don't think there is much left for me to do anymore with drugs.”

Anastopolis · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 30, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Psoriatic Arthritis: “I've finished my loading dosages and will be starting monthly maintenance in two weeks. So far it's been great for the pain but has done nothing for the psoriasis. Methotrexate worked for both but I couldn't handle the constant upper respiratory infections. Then tried Otezla which as far as I'm concerned should be banned. Horrible side effects but did work for the psoriasis thought did not do much for the pain. Then they put me on sulfasalazine which I'm allergic to. So now it's Cimzia. I'm far more active than I have been in the last year. I can't complain because it has helped with the pain and I have not had any adverse side effects yet.”

Chronicsupermom · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Spondyloarthritis: “Side effects from Cimzia last about a day or two after injection (slight fatigue, mild headache & mild diarrhea). Nothing compared to my life before Cimzia. Cimzia has lowered GI distress by over 80% & joint pain by about 50%. I have had dark bruising or redness, swelling and rash at the injection site, but it never lasts more than a week. It also doesn't happen every time. I do place a timer on my phone to remind me when I'm due, as well as the last injection site, because it's easy to forget. You do want to move around each injection. I also make sure the Cimzia is not super cold before injecting & I go very slowly, as it seems to not to burn as bad when injecting as well. I did have a horrible reaction to Humira, within 12 hours I came down with an intense pneumonia. The docs think it was an adverse reaction, thankfully never had that with Cimzia.”

a2meliarose · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 16, 2021

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I am 23 and I have had symptoms of AS for 5 years. When I took my first dose of Cimzia I was in a really bad flare. I woke up 2 days after taking it and was able to clean my house, plant things in my yard, and complete tasks I hadn't done by myself in over a year. I had some nausea that went away after 2 weeks. I have only had to take Aleve 4 times since I started Cimzia 6 weeks ago. I had one night with what I would call moderate pain in the first week. This drug has brought about a major reduction in pain and stiffness for me. I want to recognize my AS is not very advanced but this drug really made me feel almost normal after just a month. I will try to update my review when I've been on it for longer. So far I am very impressed.”

Mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2019

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “Not only did the booster shots make me nauseous, lethargic, have NO appetite, and give me daily diarrhea, they did absolutely nothing for the stiffness of pain...nothing at all. On top of that they messed up the billing and tried to bill me $16,000 for the booster shots alone - luckily I was able to get the hospital to write it off otherwise I would owe them a new car almost! BS! Enbrel was great for many years then stopped working...everything since has been a severe blow to my system overall - especially Remicade which nearly stopped my heart AND gave me pancreatitis....super fun! There is no way I will ever ever ever touch another TNF related medication or biologic as such. Thanks but no thanks...I would rather deal with the severe debilitating pain than severe debilitating pain AND feeling like total rubbish constantly from this poison medication! Beware.”

NoWorries April 8, 2009

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: “I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease a while ago and was hurting non stop. I lost over 15 pounds in 2 weeks. After about 4 months of being on Cimzia I don't even worry about my stomach. Maintain a good diet, take your vitamins, and drink plenty of water. Cimzia seems like a miracle drug.”

Amy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 12, 2020

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I’ve been on Cimzia for about a year with good but not great success. The injections are very painful. My recent problem is I am getting a very itchy red rash on my eyelids. It starts on one eye then moves to the other. It then goes away and the skin flakes off. After a week it starts the cycle over again. Waiting to get into the dermatologist before fully blaming the Cimzia.”

ShNel1218 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2017

Cimzia (certolizumab) for Ankylosing Spondylitis: “I've had horrible pain since August 2014, with very few remission periods. Humira worked okay for 2 months then stopped. My Dr said my immune system built up antibodies to block it. Then Enbrel was tried, didn't help with the pain and I had a mild allergic reaction to the third shot, so finally my Dr tried Cimzia! 5 days after my first injections I awoke pain free!!!! It lasted almost 3 weeks then I had a flare. But this flare isn't as severe as some I've had. No side effects and Cimzia so far is working great!!! Now if my immune system won't build antibodies against it!!!”