User Reviews for Aspirin / butalbital / caffeine

Also known as: Butalbital Compound, Farbital, Fiorinal, Fiormor, Fiortal, Fortabs, Idenal, Laniroif

Headache
9.2

Pain
9.1

Migraine
8.4

Summary of Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine reviews 8.6 89 reviews

Reviews for Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "I have been taking a Butalbatol compound with actominaphen and caffeine as needed for 3 years to resolve migraine headaches. I have been thru the gamut of other pain meds prescribed by several neurologists, but Butalbatol is the only one that works in the short term. Also I notice it is not addictive."

Marv (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2018

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have had a history of migraines since I was young. Fiorinal is the only drug that will stop my headache. When this migraine starts I have to take a fiorinal, lie down in a dark room, and close out any noise. Sometimes I will have a headache for several days which will finally end with a migraine. Humana is refusing to pay for fiorinal even though I have a doctor's order for it, Whoever is responsible for this must never have had a migraine..I'd like to trade my day with them."

Rosella (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2018

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have been taking Butabital for many, many years. It is the only drug that actually works, and for a migraine sufferer that’s a very big deal!!"

Rainy (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 29, 2018

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I only take this for migraines. I take one capsule, and if the headache hasn't eased up within 30 minutes to an hour - I take another. Migraine gone! I've never experienced any side effects."

SKJRM (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 31, 2018

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Pain: "Although it is my go to immediately upon rising because I already have pain. It helps until mid morning then another dose does little or nothing somedays. I have to find something else in this family of drugs. I have been on it for 8 years. Maybe it's just not as effective as at first"

T-boned moma (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2018

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "Works better than codeine meds for me"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 5, 2018

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "Of all the meds they have given me for over 50 years, this is the only one that is reliable. Take it when you know the headache is coming, and find a quiet place to hang for about 20 minutes. Then, back to work or whatever. Experience with the med lets you know if you need to take one or two, or if you can try one and then a second if necessary. I don’t get side effects. I’ve tried the Fioricet, but there’s a magic in the aspirin for me! The acetominiphine does nothing. I have had CT scans, MRIs and I don’t know all the rest of the tests have been. I’ve tried everything they threw at me, but the antidepressants, every time, had me really depressed. I drew the line at Botox. This med works!"

Mom and more December 7, 2017

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I am now 72, and I have had migraines since I was young. The worst migraines started when I was in grad school, but were episodic (related to menstrual cycle). They kept getting worse. When I was pre-menopausal, they converted to chronic migraine (15 or more/month); I started using Butalbital about 25 years ago. I've tried everything else, including "natural substances," and only Butalbital works to interrupt the cycle, so I can function daily!"

Crazy Old Lady (taken for 10 years or more) September 20, 2017

For Migraine: "I have chronic tension headaches. I used to take the fioricet with Tylenol, and honestly I wish I was on it again. I wanted to see how my body reacted to aspirin- IT HATES IT! My migraine worsens, hot and cold flashes, and I get intense nausea that makes me run for a trash can almost less than 5 minutes after ingested. It does help sometimes, but The side effects weigh out the benefits. The Tylenol caffeine butalbital works wonders for tension migraines. I've tried most medicines and fioricet is the only kind that helps. Too much causes rebound headaches so don't over do it! And overdoses ARE POSSIBLE in large AMOUNTS. Butalbital is a barbituate and is LETHAL. Read the warning labels!!!"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 9, 2017

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "This is the ONLY thing that works on my migraines but is getting harder and harder to find a doctor who will prescribe and/or pharmacy to fill"

Samantha2 August 21, 2017

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "Helps tremendously with my headaches."

Kay S. March 26, 2017

For Migraine: "I have been diagnosed as having New persistent daily headache. That means every single day, ALL day for the last 5 years I've had a headache that varies from just a headache to a full on borderline debilitating migraine. I have noticed that this medicine does offer some relief for me. I am sensitive to a lot of medications and also allergic to many. I noticed with this medication, when I do take it, I often feel like I want to take more. Even after the medication has made my headache tolerable I literally think about this medication. To me, that shows it can definitely have some addictive tendencies and for a person whose condition is not likely to go away this could be a real issue. this is more for a once in a while migraine."

Laura8804 February 1, 2017

For Migraine: "I started having migraines after the birth of my second child. At first I was able to tolerate them, then I started treated them with Extra Strength Tylenol then Excedrin PM. They progressively got worst. This was the 4th medication my primary doctor prescribed and they really helped but my neurologist said 70% of patients suffer rebound headaches from it. He said to use it occasionally (3-6 times/year). Now I'm on preventive medication (daily dosages) with this as a back-up when a severe migraine hits."

PainFromBaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've had severe cluster headaches with occasional dreadful migraines since I was in my 20s -- 50 years ago. It was very difficult to get approval for this medication, and I was always trying to juggle it with aspirin and stretch it out. Seems like the situation here, at least, has greatly improved and my current primary dr. prescribes it for me. I only take fiorinal when I feel a bad headache coming on, and it works. (It does occasionally put me to sleep for about 15 minutes.) The variety with codeine is too strong for me. I can't take triptans because of cardiovascular issues. I can't emphasize strongly enough how beneficial this medication has been in my life. Moreover, aspirin never helped my headaches."

headache sufferer December 14, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have it say that anyone would think aspirin would touch a migraine--in case you're wondering--NOT EVEN A LITTLE! I thought this was a migraine medication, since it came from a referral to a neurologist--what a wasted office visit AND wasted Rx. Absolutely no relief from this medication and it gave me a nose bleed. I'm so disappointed with the whole migraine "treatment" process. If the drug companies can give Hugh Hefner a boner, why do I have to continue to suffer migraines?"

She_Taz68 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

For Migraine: "Started taking about 6 or 7 years ago. This has been the one medication I don't have wild side effects with, like panic attacks or seizures or swelling. This medication helps with about 80%of my migraines. Most of the time relieving at least 50% of the pain if not most or all. It always helps at least dull the pain enough to go about my day to day. It has been the best rescue medication I have tried. I used to suffer from migraines at least 15 to 20 a month. 7 or 8 of those severe. I have not had severe migraines since. (Severe: where I wanted to shove an ice pick in my temple to make it stop, or smack my head into the wall, couldn't hold a conversation, couldn't walk, see or hear. Constant nausea and vomiting)"

Sb. (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 25, 2016

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've been taking this combination for my migraines for over 20 years. Though the dose is higher yet it relieves the migraine every time. The only medication that works for me. Trying natural herbs to see how they will help."

Katmusicwith9lives September 13, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've been taking Fiorinal since 1966. I get cluster type headaches behind my eye and in the back of my head. This med WORKS for me, nothing else. All the expensive meds made me nauseous, and left a residual dull pain. This takes about 20 minutes in quiet space, and I'm truly functional again. Really bad one I take a second dose, or sometimes two up front - I can tell what's coming. The one thing not to do is WAIT...you may end up with three days of misery instead of feeling fine. I have no side effects, I just get up and I'm back at whatever I was doing. They've tried to give me antidepressants (I have an adverse reaction, bad depression) and other meds. This works. I don't understand why there's so much resistance to prescribing it."

Lady Gearhead July 14, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "When I have a severe headache that does not fully meet the criteria for a migraine, I turn to Fiorinal. It usually totally knocks the headache out. I would gladly endorse this product."

sdallenhou (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've taken 2 capsules of fiorinal any time during a migraine for 38 years without any aftereffects. It usually completely ends the migraine in 20 minutes. I have tried just about everything over my 42 years of horrible migraine pain. You need to take 2 and no more until you have another migraine. If I go to sleep before the migraine ends it is still there when I wake up. I always keep them in my purse. I rate is as a 10."

JmommaC May 6, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have taken Fiorinal w/codeine for over 30 years for migraine, tension headaches and neck pain. If I take it when the pain begins it will stop it within 30 minutes and I rarely need a second dose. I do not feel any other effects from it. No sleepiness, dizziness, "high" feeling; nothing at all except relief from pain. I average about 40 to 60 pills a year and have never used more. Now my Kaiser physician says he cannot prescribe it for me because some government fools have decided it stays in the body for too long. Isn't that a good thing? Nothing else helps, so I just suffer."

sherry jill (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I had my first migraine and prescribed Fiorinal 40 years ago and back then, then they were occasional. As I've gotten older, they are more frequent. This is a problem for my neurologist because Fiorinal is on the restricted use list, here in New York. We switched me to Fioricet and for three years, that was OK, but then the Tylenol started bothering my liver. Got a new script for Fiorinal and to my surprise, it only comes in capsule form and in my opinion, does not work as well. I hope they will bring back the tablet form. The tablet works the best and I can't understand the need to change to a capsule. Why reinvent the wheel?"

30 years with migraines (taken for 10 years or more) April 21, 2016

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have taken more prescribed migraine drugs than I can remember over the years and come back to fioricet. Butalbital, along with Tylenol or asa and caffeine is by far the most reliable."

S376 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2016

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "Honestly wish my M.D. or P.M. doctor had prescribed fiorinal or fioricet with codeine phosphate 3. I was taking that version for years last rx call in was only for fioricet."

LHowell89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "November 2015, I saw my doctor about headaches - he saw a correlation to 'a stubborn cold' which I did not have active signs of and suggested OTC meds or later prescribe meds with steroids. The major problem with my 'bad' headaches diminished until a week before Christmas - migraines, not just bad headaches. On Wednesday, 1/6/2016, I went to an emergency clinic and was prescribed Fiorinal, specifically to address migraines. Any time my headaches were severe, I ate and took two Fiorinals. The pills did nothing to diminish my headaches. Instead, I napped often with a blindfold. Today, 1/11/2016, I took two before work. I rated my migraine at 7-8 out of 10 (high pain). At work, took 1 OTC (brand name) Migraine pill; rate a 4."

Topher6262 January 12, 2016