User Reviews for Aspirin / butalbital / caffeine

Also known as: Butalbital Compound, Farbital, Fiorinal, Fiormor, Fiortal, Fortabs, Idenal, Laniroif

Learn more about Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine.

Pain 7 reviews 1119 medications

9.2
Headache 18 reviews 245 medications

9.2
Migraine 54 reviews 81 medications

8.3
Summary of Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine reviews 79 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "Helps tremendously with my headaches."

Kay S. March 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "I have been diagnosed as having New persistent daily headache. That means every single day, ALL day for the last 5 years I've had a headache that varies from just a headache to a full on borderline debilitating migraine. I have noticed that this medicine does offer some relief for me. I am sensitive to a lot of medications and also allergic to many. I noticed with this medication, when I do take it, I often feel like I want to take more. Even after the medication has made my headache tolerable I literally think about this medication. To me, that shows it can definitely have some addictive tendencies and for a person whose condition is not likely to go away this could be a real issue. this is more for a once in a while migraine."

Laura8804 February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "I started having migraines after the birth of my second child. At first I was able to tolerate them, then I started treated them with Extra Strength Tylenol then Excedrin PM. They progressively got worst. This was the 4th medication my primary doctor prescribed and they really helped but my neurologist said 70% of patients suffer rebound headaches from it. He said to use it occasionally (3-6 times/year). Now I'm on preventive medication (daily dosages) with this as a back-up when a severe migraine hits."

PainFromBaby (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've had severe cluster headaches with occasional dreadful migraines since I was in my 20s -- 50 years ago. It was very difficult to get approval for this medication, and I was always trying to juggle it with aspirin and stretch it out. Seems like the situation here, at least, has greatly improved and my current primary dr. prescribes it for me. I only take fiorinal when I feel a bad headache coming on, and it works. (It does occasionally put me to sleep for about 15 minutes.) The variety with codeine is too strong for me. I can't take triptans because of cardiovascular issues. I can't emphasize strongly enough how beneficial this medication has been in my life. Moreover, aspirin never helped my headaches."

headache sufferer December 14, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have it say that anyone would think aspirin would touch a migraine--in case you're wondering--NOT EVEN A LITTLE! I thought this was a migraine medication, since it came from a referral to a neurologist--what a wasted office visit AND wasted Rx. Absolutely no relief from this medication and it gave me a nose bleed. I'm so disappointed with the whole migraine "treatment" process. If the drug companies can give Hugh Hefner a boner, why do I have to continue to suffer migraines?"

She_Taz68 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine: "Started taking about 6 or 7 years ago. This has been the one medication I don't have wild side effects with, like panic attacks or seizures or swelling. This medication helps with about 80%of my migraines. Most of the time relieving at least 50% of the pain if not most or all. It always helps at least dull the pain enough to go about my day to day. It has been the best rescue medication I have tried. I used to suffer from migraines at least 15 to 20 a month. 7 or 8 of those severe. I have not had severe migraines since. (Severe: where I wanted to shove an ice pick in my temple to make it stop, or smack my head into the wall, couldn't hold a conversation, couldn't walk, see or hear. Constant nausea and vomiting)"

Sb. (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 25, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've been taking this combination for my migraines for over 20 years. Though the dose is higher yet it relieves the migraine every time. The only medication that works for me. Trying natural herbs to see how they will help."

Katmusicwith9lives September 13, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've been taking Fiorinal since 1966. I get cluster type headaches behind my eye and in the back of my head. This med WORKS for me, nothing else. All the expensive meds made me nauseous, and left a residual dull pain. This takes about 20 minutes in quiet space, and I'm truly functional again. Really bad one I take a second dose, or sometimes two up front - I can tell what's coming. The one thing not to do is WAIT...you may end up with three days of misery instead of feeling fine. I have no side effects, I just get up and I'm back at whatever I was doing. They've tried to give me antidepressants (I have an adverse reaction, bad depression) and other meds. This works. I don't understand why there's so much resistance to prescribing it."

Lady Gearhead July 14, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "When I have a severe headache that does not fully meet the criteria for a migraine, I turn to Fiorinal. It usually totally knocks the headache out. I would gladly endorse this product."

sdallenhou (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've taken 2 capsules of fiorinal any time during a migraine for 38 years without any aftereffects. It usually completely ends the migraine in 20 minutes. I have tried just about everything over my 42 years of horrible migraine pain. You need to take 2 and no more until you have another migraine. If I go to sleep before the migraine ends it is still there when I wake up. I always keep them in my purse. I rate is as a 10."

JmommaC May 6, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have taken Fiorinal w/codeine for over 30 years for migraine, tension headaches and neck pain. If I take it when the pain begins it will stop it within 30 minutes and I rarely need a second dose. I do not feel any other effects from it. No sleepiness, dizziness, "high" feeling; nothing at all except relief from pain. I average about 40 to 60 pills a year and have never used more. Now my Kaiser physician says he cannot prescribe it for me because some government fools have decided it stays in the body for too long. Isn't that a good thing? Nothing else helps, so I just suffer."

sherry jill (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I had my first migraine and prescribed Fiorinal 40 years ago and back then, then they were occasional. As I've gotten older, they are more frequent. This is a problem for my neurologist because Fiorinal is on the restricted use list, here in New York. We switched me to Fioricet and for three years, that was OK, but then the Tylenol started bothering my liver. Got a new script for Fiorinal and to my surprise, it only comes in capsule form and in my opinion, does not work as well. I hope they will bring back the tablet form. The tablet works the best and I can't understand the need to change to a capsule. Why reinvent the wheel?"

30 years with migraines (taken for 10 years or more) April 21, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have taken more prescribed migraine drugs than I can remember over the years and come back to fioricet. Butalbital, along with Tylenol or asa and caffeine is by far the most reliable."

S376 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "Honestly wish my M.D. or P.M. doctor had prescribed fiorinal or fioricet with codeine phosphate 3. I was taking that version for years last rx call in was only for fioricet."

LHowell89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "November 2015, I saw my doctor about headaches - he saw a correlation to 'a stubborn cold' which I did not have active signs of and suggested OTC meds or later prescribe meds with steroids. The major problem with my 'bad' headaches diminished until a week before Christmas - migraines, not just bad headaches. On Wednesday, 1/6/2016, I went to an emergency clinic and was prescribed Fiorinal, specifically to address migraines. Any time my headaches were severe, I ate and took two Fiorinals. The pills did nothing to diminish my headaches. Instead, I napped often with a blindfold. Today, 1/11/2016, I took two before work. I rated my migraine at 7-8 out of 10 (high pain). At work, took 1 OTC (brand name) Migraine pill; rate a 4."

Topher6262 January 12, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "I have been taking Fiorinol for 50 years for bad headaches...It has been a lifesaver for me, and nips the headaches in the bud, before they lead to extreme nausea and taking to my bed. Unfortunately the generic does not work for me, and it has been increasingly difficult to get Fiorinol as the price has gone up dramatically lately. My insurance covers none of it. What can I do?? Help!!!"

Rachaels88 December 6, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have suffered with migraines since elementary school. I am now 23. I finally got a doctor to prescribe me a perscription. I have taken fiorinal for about 3 weeks now. It is not helping at all. Putting a heating pad on my head works better than it does. Hopefully I can try something else."

GxldBella (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I have suffered from migraines since I was in grade school; I'm now 40. I didn't know about treatments until I started college. Midrin had worked wonders for me for years...and then it stopped. Fiorinal and many of the triptans did not compare; they took longer to take effect and I could not deal with some of the side effects. I have started seeing a well-known neurologist who has finally gotten me on the right treatment (topiramate to help control the frequency of migraines and Relpax to help at onset of migraine attack). It feels so good to actually have normal days!"

Rae68 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "I've had migraines for 40 years. This works 9 out of 10 times, usually in about 20 minutes. Occasionally I've had to take a second pill or dose, but 1 pill almost always does the trick. The other 10 % of the times I use Maxalt or its generic form. My insurance has recently dropped coverage for this inexpensive, very effective drug. I'm not happy and plan to appeal for coverage."

Mathrookie (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "I've taken Fiorinal for about a year, initially it was great. One pill would totally knock out a headache. Little drowsy for about 30 minutes and I was good to go. Started having to increase the the number of times I take it about 4 months ago, started having abnormal vaginal bleeding; my doctor thinks it's the aspirin and the fact that I've had to take more. Aspirin is a blood thinner. I switched to Fioricet, same drug, but replaces the asprin with Tylenol. Back to normal now. Try Fioricet if Fiorinal dosen't work for you."

kismetangel (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Pain: "I have taken Fiorinal since I was 19 and I am 56 now, and it has helped not only with severe tension headaches but with toothaches, strep throat, and other pain over the years and I reccomend it to anybody suffering from headaches."

cindyjsparky March 26, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "Wonder stuff wIth little to no side effects IF taken at migraine onset! So important and I can not stress enough that it must be taken immediately! If it hasn't worked for you ask yourself if you waited too long before taking it. I carry it with me every where because i never know when I'll need it. Sometimes I'm stupid and think, "I'll just try and tough it out, I don't want to waste the good stuff.... " So dumb, last time I ended up with a three day migraine that I could have prevented. I wasted like 8 pills trying to manage it, whereas two at onset would have eradicated it altogether. Note: these still help to reduce the pain of an existing migraine better than anything else I've tried, but I'm am still cooped up in my room avoiding light, sounds and all stimuli that might make it worse."

Autter December 3, 2014

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Migraine: "Only medication that has helped the pain and still be able to function."

JuneEJ October 14, 2014

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine) for Headache: "I have had headaches since I was 13. I wake up with a headache and go to bed with a headache. I have been taking Fiorinal for approximately 25 years. It not only works on my migraines but also tension headaches. My doctor is very hesitant about prescribing this medication for fear of addiction but I know how to control how often and how much I take. I've tried many other prescription and over the counter medicines and Fiorinal is the only medicine that will get rid of my headaches with no side effects so I can function. It's very effective and should never be taken off the market or classified as a controlled substance."

Anonymous September 22, 2014

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I've used this for sometime now and it always stops my headaches and back pain."

jomikey06 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2014