Aspirin / butalbital / caffeine Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to aspirin / butalbital / caffeine: oral capsule, oral tablet
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Change in balance.
- Feeling confused.
- Very nervous and excitable.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Ringing in ears.
- Hearing loss.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
The most common adverse reactions have included drowsiness and dizziness.[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Drowsiness, dizziness
Frequency not reported: Lightheadedness[Ref]
Frequency not reported: bone marrow suppression[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Aspirin/Butalbital/Caffeine (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine (acetylsalicylic acid/butalbital/caffeine))." Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, Livonia, MI.
2. "Product Information. Fiorinal (ASA/butalbital/caffeine)" Actavis (formerly Abrika Pharmaceuticals LLP), Sunrise, FL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about aspirin/butalbital/caffeine
- Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 89 Reviews
- Drug class: analgesic combinations
- Butalbital,Aspirin and Caffeine (FDA)
- Butalbital,Aspirin and Caffeine Capsule (FDA)
- Butalbital, Aspirin, and Caffeine (Wolters Kluwer)