User Reviews for Aspirin / butalbital / caffeine

Also known as: Butalbital Compound, Farbital, Fiorinal, Fiormor, Fiortal, Fortabs, Idenal, Laniroif

Learn more about Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine.

Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 131 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Aspirin/butalbital/caffeine to treat Migraine

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I've been taking Fiorinal since 1966. I get cluster type headaches behind my eye and in the back of my head. This med WORKS for me, nothing else. All the expensive meds made me nauseous, and left a residual dull pain. This takes about 20 minutes in quiet space, and I'm truly functional again. Really bad one I take a second dose, or sometimes two up front - I can tell what's coming. The one thing not to do is WAIT...you may end up with three days of misery instead of feeling fine. I have no side effects, I just get up and I'm back at whatever I was doing. They've tried to give me antidepressants (I have an adverse reaction, bad depression) and other meds. This works. I don't understand why there's so much resistance to prescribing it."

Lady Gearhead July 14, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I've taken 2 capsules of fiorinal any time during a migraine for 38 years without any aftereffects. It usually completely ends the migraine in 20 minutes. I have tried just about everything over my 42 years of horrible migraine pain. You need to take 2 and no more until you have another migraine. If I go to sleep before the migraine ends it is still there when I wake up. I always keep them in my purse. I rate is as a 10."

JmommaC May 6, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have taken Fiorinal w/codeine for over 30 years for migraine, tension headaches and neck pain. If I take it when the pain begins it will stop it within 30 minutes and I rarely need a second dose. I do not feel any other effects from it. No sleepiness, dizziness, "high" feeling; nothing at all except relief from pain. I average about 40 to 60 pills a year and have never used more. Now my Kaiser physician says he cannot prescribe it for me because some government fools have decided it stays in the body for too long. Isn't that a good thing? Nothing else helps, so I just suffer."

sherry jill (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I had my first migraine and prescribed Fiorinal 40 years ago and back then, then they were occasional. As I've gotten older, they are more frequent. This is a problem for my neurologist because Fiorinal is on the restricted use list, here in New York. We switched me to Fioricet and for three years, that was OK, but then the Tylenol started bothering my liver. Got a new script for Fiorinal and to my surprise, it only comes in capsule form and in my opinion, does not work as well. I hope they will bring back the tablet form. The tablet works the best and I can't understand the need to change to a capsule. Why reinvent the wheel?"

30 years with migraines (taken for 10 years or more) April 21, 2016

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have taken more prescribed migraine drugs than I can remember over the years and come back to fioricet. Butalbital, along with Tylenol or asa and caffeine is by far the most reliable."

S376 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "November 2015, I saw my doctor about headaches - he saw a correlation to 'a stubborn cold' which I did not have active signs of and suggested OTC meds or later prescribe meds with steroids. The major problem with my 'bad' headaches diminished until a week before Christmas - migraines, not just bad headaches. On Wednesday, 1/6/2016, I went to an emergency clinic and was prescribed Fiorinal, specifically to address migraines. Any time my headaches were severe, I ate and took two Fiorinals. The pills did nothing to diminish my headaches. Instead, I napped often with a blindfold. Today, 1/11/2016, I took two before work. I rated my migraine at 7-8 out of 10 (high pain). At work, took 1 OTC (brand name) Migraine pill; rate a 4."

Topher6262 January 12, 2016

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have suffered with migraines since elementary school. I am now 23. I finally got a doctor to prescribe me a perscription. I have taken fiorinal for about 3 weeks now. It is not helping at all. Putting a heating pad on my head works better than it does. Hopefully I can try something else."

GxldBella (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2015

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have suffered from migraines since I was in grade school; I'm now 40. I didn't know about treatments until I started college. Midrin had worked wonders for me for years...and then it stopped. Fiorinal and many of the triptans did not compare; they took longer to take effect and I could not deal with some of the side effects. I have started seeing a well-known neurologist who has finally gotten me on the right treatment (topiramate to help control the frequency of migraines and Relpax to help at onset of migraine attack). It feels so good to actually have normal days!"

Rae68 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I've had migraines for 40 years. This works 9 out of 10 times, usually in about 20 minutes. Occasionally I've had to take a second pill or dose, but 1 pill almost always does the trick. The other 10 % of the times I use Maxalt or its generic form. My insurance has recently dropped coverage for this inexpensive, very effective drug. I'm not happy and plan to appeal for coverage."

Mathrookie (taken for 10 years or more) September 11, 2015

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Wonder stuff wIth little to no side effects IF taken at migraine onset! So important and I can not stress enough that it must be taken immediately! If it hasn't worked for you ask yourself if you waited too long before taking it. I carry it with me every where because i never know when I'll need it. Sometimes I'm stupid and think, "I'll just try and tough it out, I don't want to waste the good stuff.... " So dumb, last time I ended up with a three day migraine that I could have prevented. I wasted like 8 pills trying to manage it, whereas two at onset would have eradicated it altogether. Note: these still help to reduce the pain of an existing migraine better than anything else I've tried, but I'm am still cooped up in my room avoiding light, sounds and all stimuli that might make it worse."

Autter December 3, 2014

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Only medication that has helped the pain and still be able to function."

JuneEJ October 14, 2014

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Fantastic for my migraines."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 14, 2014

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have had migraines ever since I was about 19. They have gotten worse over the years and I have tried everything over the counter. I recently went home because of a sick relative. I woke up @ 2 a.m. with one if the worse migraines of my life. Vomiting all day. My step father gave me a Fiorinal. And within 15 mins it was gone. I just went to my physician. And he prescribed it for me. I pray it continues to work."

ramsgirl58 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2014

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Besides being effective, the best thing about Fiorinal is it's lack of side effects. Regardless of the amount taken during a particular episode I have never experienced any effect other than fairly quick relief."

maxcarr (taken for 10 years or more) July 26, 2014

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I took two of these for a migraine and it just made it worse."

soulless June 20, 2014

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Living with a brain tumor and suffering for years with blinding migraines IT IS THE SINGLE ONLY THING THAT RIDS MY MIGRAINES! I ONLY relay on it when the pain is so intense I am bedridden. I use about 80 pills per year. It usually always works if Exederin does not. No nausea or vomiting like with other expensive migraine so called wonder medicines! No bad drowsiness either! It is a God send for my pain! I have found nothing else comparable."

Lynn R' March 1, 2014

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have been using Fiorinal C1/2 for the past 25-30 years controlled by my doctor. It's an amazing, amazing medicine. I take it and my migraine goes away most of the time on the first dose. I have tried many other migraine meds and it seems I cannot take any of the Triptans as they make me throw up immediately upon taking them. I wish I could take something else but Fiorinal is all there is. Please DO NOT stop making it! There are plenty of us out here who rely on it to carry on our daily lives. Please start making it again. Thank you."

TLC67 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2014

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "I have taken Fiorinol for years and years and it is the most effective med I have ever found...who ever designed this medication I owe a debt of gratitude ...I will say that I can take one just one pill and in 20 minutes my pain is gone...I swear by this drug ....I just asked my doc for a refill and he now informs me it's not available...I have kaiser coverage and think that this is kaisers doing not that the med is no longer available...I will be very upset as this script works and works well and I don't take it on a regular basis a have no addiction to it but need it when I need it!!!"

Rlntlys (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2013

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Fiorinal is a miracle when it comes to strong headaches and migraines. Nurofen Plus won't work for me on a migraine but take 2 Fiorinal, sleep it off and its gone."

Fiorinal works when others don't October 3, 2013

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "This is my old faithful! Works fairly quickly and takes the pain away almost completely...most doctors don't give you more than 15-20 and if you run into a spell that's longer than a few days, then they want you to try something else."

Hauteracer (taken for 10 years or more) April 17, 2013

"Takes the edge off and stops the escalation of pain. Nothing makes my migraines go away but this allows me to function."

Eisaak (taken for 10 years or more) March 23, 2013

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Wonderful as long as you take it at onset. I also use Imitrex. Daily."

Penny G January 23, 2013

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "Great for migraine. Haven't found anything better than it so far except Stadol, Demerol or Nubain, which we all know no one can function daily on those other meds."

JJMCOOL1974 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 13, 2012

Butalbital Compound (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "If migraine is caught at first onset. This medicine absolutely works wonders!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2012

Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine): "very good"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2012