Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
- There is a higher chance of death in older adults who take Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) for mental problems caused by dementia. Most of the deaths were linked to heart disease or infection. This medicine is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia.
Uses of Risperdal Consta:
- It is used to treat schizophrenia.
- It is used to treat bipolar problems.
- It is used to treat irritation that happens with autistic disorder.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Risperdal Consta?
- If you have an allergy to risperidone or any other part of Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) or for 3 months after your last dose.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Risperdal Consta?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) affects you.
- To lower the chance of feeling dizzy or passing out, rise slowly if you have been sitting or lying down. Be careful going up and down stairs.
- It may take several weeks to see the full effects.
- High blood sugar or diabetes, high cholesterol, and weight gain have happened with drugs like this one. These changes may raise the chance of heart and brain blood vessel disease. Talk with the doctor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)).
- Talk with your doctor before you use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Dizziness, sleepiness, and feeling less stable may happen with Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)). These may lead to falling. Broken bones or other health problems can happen from falling. Talk with the doctor.
- Low white blood cell counts have happened with drugs like this one. This may lead to a higher chance of getting an infection. Deadly infections have rarely happened. Tell your doctor if you have ever had a low white blood cell count. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat. Talk with your doctor.
- Some people who take Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) may get a very bad muscle problem called tardive dyskinesia. This muscle problem may not go away even if Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) is stopped. Sometimes, signs may lessen or go away over time after Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) is stopped. The risk of tardive dyskinesia may be greater in people with diabetes and in older adults, especially older women. The risk is also greater the longer you take Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) or with higher doses. Muscle problems may also occur after short-term use with low doses. Call your doctor right away if you have trouble controlling body movements or if you have muscle problems with your tongue, face, mouth, or jaw like tongue sticking out, puffing cheeks, mouth puckering, or chewing.
- Older adults with dementia taking drugs like this one have had a higher number of strokes. Sometimes these strokes have been deadly. This drug is not approved to treat mental problems caused by dementia. Talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) while you are pregnant.
- Taking Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) in the third trimester of pregnancy may lead to muscle movements that cannot be controlled and withdrawal in the newborn. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Risperdal Consta) best taken?
Use Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Be careful in hot weather or while being active. Drink lots of fluids to stop fluid loss.
- It is given as a shot into a muscle.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- If you are planning to harm yourself or the want to harm yourself gets worse.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in how you act.
- Mood changes.
- Shakiness, trouble moving around, or stiffness.
- Not able to pass urine or change in how much urine is passed.
- Trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Not able to focus.
- Change in eyesight.
- Shortness of breath.
- Enlarged breasts.
- Sex problems like lowered interest in sex or ejaculation problems.
- Nipple discharge.
- For women, no period.
- Call your doctor right away if you have a painful erection (hard penis) or an erection that lasts for longer than 4 hours. This may happen even when you are not having sex. If this is not treated right away, it may lead to lasting sex problems and you may not be able to have sex.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly health problem called neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) may happen. Call your doctor right away if you have any fever, muscle cramps or stiffness, dizziness, very bad headache, confusion, change in thinking, fast heartbeat, heartbeat that does not feel normal, or are sweating a lot.
- Very bad irritation where the shot was given.
What are some other side effects of Risperdal Consta?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Weight gain.
- Feeling sleepy.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Dry mouth.
- More hungry.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Stuffy nose.
- Runny nose.
- Nose and throat irritation.
- Not able to sleep.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Risperdal Consta?
- If you need to store Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Risperdal Consta (risperidone injection (IM)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Risperdal Consta (risperidone)
- Risperdal Consta Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews
- Drug class: atypical antipsychotics
- FDA Alerts (7)
Other brands: Perseris