User Reviews for Zaleplon to treat Insomnia (Page 3)

Also known as: Sonata

Zaleplon has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 42% of those users who reviewed Zaleplon reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Zaleplon Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zaleplon

Bear · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2020

“So far zaleplon has helped me fall asleep right away but definitely doesn't help with staying asleep. I'm awake through out the night. A good 10 to 20 times. Only thing it has helped is falling asleep. Other then that its like I'm not taking anything to help my insomnia.”

Ditty218 September 10, 2017

Sonata (zaleplon): “It made my blood pressure spike (190/119). This was in the late morning, early afternoon after taking, so I have to assume it was when the CNS suppressive effect was wearing off. My doctor (a psychiatrist) was not interested in discussing the possible reasons for this. I had pounding in my head and pressure against my left eyeball.”

fastestgunalive · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2018

“I will take zaleplon 10mg at 10pm and sleep til 2am. Then I take 10mg again at 3am and sleep till about 6:30am. benadryl doesn't work for me. Tossing and jumping out of bed was constant before zaleplon was prescribed.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2018

“My doctor originally prescribed Silenor as a sleep aid: I took it maybe three times - and even after cutting the tabs in half, I was a Zombie the next day until noon. His prescription of Zalephon is right on. I was asleep within 30 minutes, but awoke normally the next day. I will only use this as needed.”

Blessedw92018 February 12, 2019

“I have severe sleep apnea and trouble falling asleep and was given Zaleplon 10mg take one to two 30min before bed. I took the first one and it made me feel a tad sleepy within a few minutes but an hour later I was wide awake as though I hadn't taken anything. I decided to take the 2nd one to try and rest. Well it definitely helped and kept me asleep but now awake for the day and I feel super nauseous from this and my head feels funny and I feel like my breathing is slower. I just feel bad all over. Not sure if this is something I wanna continue”

Coll · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2021

Sonata (zaleplon): “Incredible! I started having trouble staying asleep in 2017, when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and then later, small fiber peripheral neuropathy. I started to give up hope that I would ever know sleep again (In the past I used to fall asleep as soon as I laid my head down, and could sleep forever-- if the world would permit it). My doctor prescribed Sonata a week ago for when I wake up, since I can't sleep longer than 4 hours at a time without waking. It's AMAZING. It really works and I feel no side effects from it. I take 1000 mg of gabapentin a day, so it's hard to say but I feel really great and grateful. I used to be against prescription drugs but at some point, you reach that point...”

onlyadaydreamer December 21, 2011

“I have extreme insomnia that occurs on a nightly basis for over three years now. I have tried pretty much everything thing, relaxation techniques, changes in diet and exercise, lavender bathes, new mattress etc. I have taken some sleep aids in the past that have either done the reverse or have made me groggy for days. This one, however, did not make me tired right away, I got a little bit energized for around 2 hours before I fell asleep. But I do like how there were no morning side effects! Big for that! My one side effect was that I got super thirsty and my throat got super dry, but the pharmacist said it does occur but usually the person is asleep by that time.”

Echo · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Sonata (zaleplon): “I have tried numerous sleeping pills and it's difficult to find what's right for me because of the way it reacts. 2 previously were Ambien which only worked for 2 weeks before it would just give me jittery energy, I took lunesta for around 4 months, I kept getting a tolerance to it. Anyway I like lunesta the best but I need something else to get my tolerance down for a month. I tried sonata and it does not make me sleepy. I feel kind of a high, I suppose, for a short time and then this hangoverish feeling before i can go to bed. It doesn't really work unless I'm asleep. Big downfall though is the longer I sleep on it the more tired it makes me. I can not really feel it for almost half a night and then it's super difficult to get out of bed in the morning.”

Gypsycontradiction January 10, 2017

“Tried everything before, this really makes a difference for me. Taking with empty stomach works best, or at least a less greasy/fatty meal. Been struggling for 30+ years and finally something that actually helps.”

thomas98 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 14, 2016

“It is for the person who cannot turn off their racing thoughts at night long enough to fall asleep or the person once asleep stays asleep. You need to take it on an empty stomach or at least after merely a light non fatty meal for dinner. If you eat mcdonalds the night of or something like that forget about it, you can take five of them and still not fall asleep. So if prescribed it and falling asleep is your main issue or you use it only when you need sleep for a big event next day eat light that evening or just eat big lunch then take on empty or near empty stomach. Only has about a two hour life and zero half life so take your butt to bed once it kicks in”

JT · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2020

“I’ve suffered from insomnia most of my life. I’ve taken Ambien which worked so well but I started waking up in the night. Doc switched me over to Lunesta which worked great for the past 5 years but has stopped being effective. Doc prescribed Belsomra but insurance wouldn’t cover it so trying Sonata 10 mg. It doesn’t work for me at all. I feel like I have a hangover with a headache and I’m still up all night. Dissatisfied”

Ark234 · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2018

“My neurologist suggested that I take this. I have MS and several issues that go along with that. One is fatigue. I teach, I run marathons, I have children. However, I cannot sleep. First night: I tossed and turned the entire night, wishing I had taken Tylenol pm. Second night: I’m now lying in bed with my lamp on bc I feel like I’m in some sort of scary Alice in wonderland. I woke my husband up because I thought an arm was on my cup. I also have such heartburn that I took a Zantac. Did anyone else have hallucinations? I am hoping they go away after a few hours.”

Jdog101 October 25, 2011

“This medicine really changed my life. I just recently switched to zaleplon and to be honest I feel very hypnotic/high when I take two doses of it. I love the feeling but these pills are addictive so do not take more then your doctor prescribed.”

Anonymous January 7, 2009

“This medicine has been amazing. Although it does take a bit to kick in (30 minutes or so), once I am asleep that is it. It works so well in that if my daughter wakes up in the middle of the night I am not too groggy to get up and function.”

drdbuck December 15, 2013

“I don't usually need it to fall asleep, but I find I wake more refreshed. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and CPAP did not improve my sleep. I have been experimenting with taking it or not, and I am fairly convinced it makes a positive difference. But, it is only approved for short term use, so I would like to know about experience with regular use.”

Matvei · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2020

“I've been struggling with 3 AM racing heart wake-ups that make it hard to go back to sleep, and hoped this would be just the drug: short half life, quick onset, seemingly low dose. Unfortunately I got almost no benefit and plenty of side effects. I do get a little sleepier after I take this, but I don't sleep any more (~1-2 hours) than I do just trying to get back to sleep on my own and I feel MUCH worse the next day: anxious, cognitively useless, and more tired than I am after my normal insomnia. The cognitive effects are mild but a little alarming: I make so many sloppy mistakes, can't recall words, forget chores I walked in a room to do (absent-mindedness, not dementia), can't keep things in mind, etc. Haven't suffered these downsides on any other sleep meds and see no upside to this one, so I won't take it again.”

jadedjus · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2016

“I was first prescribed it in a psych ward as a PRN. I take a cocktail of sedative drugs through the day and at night including: 90mg Phenobarbital, 15mg Zyprexa, 2mg Klonopin, and 200mg Vimpat all at night. I still have had major trouble sleeping. I got put on 10mg Sonata and the first night it didn't work. The second night I laid down and tried to sleep on my own, after about two hours of no sleep I took the sonata and within 15 minutes I was asleep and slept all through the night till I was woke up for breakfast at 8:00 am, oh and I laid down at 9:00 pm and took the sonata at about 11:00 pm. It works wonderfully for me but I think it has its own effects to each individual user and the meds they are on too. I love it”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2013

“I used to take Zaleplon Sonata to help regulate sleep disturbances related to Bipolar Disorder. I took it 38 times over the course of 78 days and it was excellent in helping me fall asleep. The 39th time I took it, I experienced very frightening hallucinations and severe anxiety. The experience was made worse because I was concerned about maniac symptoms. I called my psychiatrist and he said to immediately stop taking it. ”

dois · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2019

“I've had Ambien - drowsy after, and sometimes ended up getting out of bed and doing weird stuff without intending to, and abbreviated memory of it. benzos - prob had too much of this for sleep, so anxiety is more permanent now. trazodone - worked with diminishing affect. I didn't wake up to fire alarms once. Euphoria for 1.5 weeks which went away. It doesn't work as well now, take it very rarely. I know tons of people who are absolutely dependent on this drug. It's meh. Side effects are night sweats, increased libido, and somehow made soda taste like the best thing I've ever had (I don't drink soda much). Sonata - doc recommended I take it when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. I take 10 mg. I don't FEEL sedated, I just end up falling back asleep for about 2-4 more hours, getting the desired result. I NEVER take it to initiate sleep, but rather to go back to sleep. I take it 2-3 x monthly. no drowsiness, no hangover.”

Mandie · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2019

Sonata (zaleplon): “I tried this for awhile. Yes, it helped me sleep good. But...I was so sick. Anxious feeling, muscular pain, high blood pressure, terrible headaches. Plain misery! I should have realized it sooner but wasn't until I stopped it that those illnesses went away. Never again will I take that medication. I'm back to doxylamine succinate and I feel normal again!”

TobiD November 14, 2015

“This stuff does NOTHING for me whatsoever. Even after tripling the prescribed dose of 5 mg, I lie in bed staring at the ceiling, hour after hour. I wouldn't even rate it as a "one" except that I see no category for "zero." Useless.”

COrange · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 22, 2020

“This zaleplon has worked for me at times, sometimes for periods of 6 months. Other times it does absolutely nothing & I go back on Ambien, which usually works for me IF I stop everything & lay down to let myself sleep. I have switched back & forth from Ambian to Zaleplon with periods of just cleansings out & giving up on sleep with an accepting attitude & doing without. Usually Ambien is better for me but I have seen a friend go absolutely hallucinating crazy on one Ambien once so I know for a fact there are some people who cannot tolerate this drug. It’s never affected me that way. Just helped me go to sleep but has never helped me stay asleep for an entire 7-8 hours, ever! Neither of the medications.”

Moniquele · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2017

“I am taking a small dose of this and find it needs a "boost". It seems to work well with 5mgs of melatonin. I wake up feeling like I got a good night's sleep. I still wake up during the night to use bathroom but I go right back to sleep. I don't find it works well at my low dose without the melatonin. However, the melatonin does not work on its own so the combo seems just right for me.”

Xelleld · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2016

“To be honest, I don't know what I'd do if this drug didn't exist. Yeah, it's certainly got its risks, but if you've got sleep onset insomnia and the trazodone, antihistamines, and everything else you've tried has failed, don't be afraid to give Sonata a try. Even the smallest dose available helps me, which is kind of surprising, considering that doxylamine and hydroxyzine both crapped out after less than a month, trazodone barely did anything, and diphenhydramine always left me drowsy the next day and had a tendency to make me oversleep, not to mention that it takes 50 to 75mg combined with melatonin to do anything. Sonata works wonders for me. Just don't take it every night, since it can get less effective if you do.”

JonnyQuest February 6, 2013

“I would rate this 10 if it worked all night. I take the generic Zaleplon. It will make me drowsy in about 30 minutes and I will fall asleep; usually with the TV on a timer. I used to take Xanax and a few cocktails, but wanted something different. I wake up about 4-5 hours later and sometimes get back to sleep sporadically; sometimes not. Now, I take 2.5mg Xanax, then 30 min later take the Zaleplon and shortly after another 2.5mg Xanax (I half one 5mg Xanax and take separately). I still wake up earlier than I want to, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that until I relieve some stress.”

Learn more about Insomnia