User Reviews for Zaleplon

Also known as: Sonata

Learn more about Zaleplon.

Zaleplon Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zaleplon to treat Insomnia

Sonata (zaleplon): "I have had an erratic sleep schedule since the end of January of this year. I had been taking trazodone and it just wasn't working anymore. I talked to my Dr. She suggested Sonata. I was desperate for a good nights sleep. I took 1 last night. I believe it is a good idea to relax before you take it. I slept for 3 to 4 hours. But still felt the calming effect of it and went right back to bed. Not a full nights, but hey, it was better. I think if we sit and wait for a pill to kick it, it makes us tense. I'm going to continue on. I believe in a weeks time, I will have a pattern back. Don't give up so easily after 1 night. Give it a chance. "

Enter Sandman (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

"Never fell asleep. It was like taking an aspirin ."

Dollydimples August 5, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "This medicine doesn't last. I'm on my second night of it and it's 4 am and I'm wide awake. My legs are very restless. I have stomach cramps. I've tired Tranzodone in fact I was up to 200 mgs and still didn't feel it. Ambien made me hallucinate. I just want to sleep at night so I can have normal days with my kids."

TiredWidow July 30, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "Have found this medication very helpful for insomnia. Fall asleep quickly with no side effects in the morning. Using 5mg dose."

Sleepless in Seattle June 28, 2016

"This drug didn't work for me .it just made me stay awake and get no sleep.so I stop taking it.so at least I can get a couple hours of sleep when I fall asleep on My own"

Heartless gum June 22, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "My doctor prescribed me 10mg sonata for my insomnia. Sonata is great if you only want 3-4 hours of sleep on exam days because of its short duration and no drowsiness. However, if you want to get a full 7-8 hours of sleep it sucks being woken up in the middle of the night every time (~2-4am), unable to fall back asleep. Have to take a second dose to fall back asleep but takes a white to kick in since you're not drowsy when you woke up and you're writing this review awake in bed waiting for sleepiness to come..."

Panda problems June 19, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "It did not help me sleep. Much less affective than Ambien."

Giffordw June 9, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "I am bi/polar and awaken many times around 2 or 3 am with racing thoughts. This makes it impossible for me to go back to sleep and I am exhausted because of it. My Dr. had me try the Sonata and with taking it at these times I can get another 3 to 4 hours of sleep and awaken feeling very rested. I usually fall back to sleep within 15 minutes after taking it. Love it on those rough nights."

Auntiem90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

"Lil groggy , but didnt sleep well,"

Barbiegirl/ Barbieworld (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

"It is for the person who cannot turn off their racing thoughts at night long enough to fall asleep or the person once asleep stays asleep. You need to take it on an empty stomach or at least after merely a light non fatty meal for dinner. If you eat mcdonalds the night of or something like that forget about it, you can take five of them and still not fall asleep. So if prescribed it and falling asleep is your main issue or you use it only when you need sleep for a big event next day eat light that evening or just eat big lunch then take on empty or near empty stomach. Only has about a two hour life and zero half life so take your butt to bed once it kicks in"

thomas98 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

"I was first prescribed it in a psych ward as a PRN. I take a cocktail of sedative drugs through the day and at night including: 90mg Phenobarbital, 15mg Zyprexa, 2mg Klonopin, and 200mg Vimpat all at night. I still have had major trouble sleeping. I got put on 10mg Sonata and the first night it didn't work. The second night I laid down and tried to sleep on my own, after about two hours of no sleep I took the sonata and within 15 minutes I was asleep and slept all through the night till I was woke up for breakfast at 8:00 am, oh and I laid down at 9:00 pm and took the sonata at about 11:00 pm. It works wonderfully for me but I think it has its own effects to each individual user and the meds they are on too. I love it"

jadedjus (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "These drugs are not needed in anyone's life .. Eat right ..exercise daily ...and get in a routine of doing something productive during ur day.."

Bommkkkksjdnd March 26, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "This is by far the worst pill prescribed for sleep! !! I felt anxious irritable. ..heart was racing headache and my blood pressure increased along with abdominal discomfort and muscle pain. And if I I do fall asleep it's for an hour or so and I'm up for another hour and find it very hard to fall back to sleep . Never again !! this pill is not for me!!!"

Very disappointing (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2016

"What a waste of a drug. Took this and it did nothing for me. Barely relaxed me. Maybe for some reason I got a defective pill. Only took one night, don't think I will be trying it again."

sleepy116 January 29, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "Similar to Ambien but not as effective. I also experience RLS when taking Zaleplon Mg."

MichiH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): "Sonata is useless. Even when the dose is bumped up to 20 mgs. Skip this one and just go for the Ambien."

Sleeplessinthecommonwealth December 9, 2015

"I was prescribed this drug for insomnia. I never felt it kick in, so as an experiment I stayed up waiting to feel it. I never did. When I took it before bed I found waking and functioning the next morning rougher than the time I hadn't been on the medication. I stopped this medication because I felt worse taking it."

an_ordinary_chap (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

"This stuff does NOTHING for me whatsoever. Even after tripling the prescribed dose of 5 mg, I lie in bed staring at the ceiling, hour after hour. I wouldn't even rate it as a "one" except that I see no category for "zero." Useless."

TobiD November 14, 2015

Sonata (zaleplon): "This knocked me out all day and didn't even help me sleep at night."

BatMegan (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2015

"I've only ever had problems falling asleep, zaleplon really helps my mind stop think about work and other nonsense. I've used zaleplon only when I needed to get to sleep because something was going on the next day and I would begin to worry about not being able to sleep, and it really does help with this. It also helps with jet-lag. Other times, I would just drink a lot. I've recently cut WAY back on the amount of alcohol and am relying much more on zaleplon. As my body is adjusting to less alcohol, I'm sleeping better without it. I used to wake up as soon as the zonleplon wore off, 4 hours on the dot. Now that I'm drinking so much less, I'm getting 6 to 7 hours sleep before waking, and then I'm able to go back to sleep a get a total of 8+."

V SF (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2015

"After being a great sleeper I found myself looking up at the ceiling for several hours. I do not like taking medication. I got prescribed zaleplon as it is mild. Whenever I am overtired or stressed I take 1 or 2. It works perfectly and no side affects. I am 80 young."

Tiques February 2, 2015

Sonata (zaleplon): "My doctor recently informed me that I should only take Sonata when I wake up in the middle of the night. Just need to have a glass of water near my bed. I tried that last night and it did give me a few extra hours of sleep. When I was taking it before bed I generally would get up in the middle of the night anyway and feel groggy the next day. "

epublius (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2014

Sonata (zaleplon): "Taking Sonata was like taking a placebo. No matter when I took it - 5 minutes before bedtime, 1 hour, 2 hours, I would lie awake for hours! I even tried doubling up with no change. Once I did fall asleep I would wake up 2 hours later, then 2 hours after that - never getting a restful nights sleep."

1Anonymous July 23, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Sonata (zaleplon): "I love Sonata, for the first time I can sleep. However, I think it works best if you wind yourself down and relax a bit first. Otherwise, I would find myself feeling the effects of the medication and still active and now impaired. So I learned early in once I stop what I am doing and just relax, watch T.V, read a book etc. Right to sleep and I stayed there. Not groggy at all the next day."

GlamGalTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2014

"I absolutely had to share that after taking this medicine, I too cut my hair in the night. I'm over forty years old. Not being aware I had cut my hair, I woke up and when I hopped out of bed that morning, both feet landed in a pile of hair. While funny, this is not good at all. I understand this is the same class of drug that is used for sedation during surgery. Look up the risks involved to memory and comprehension. Long term, permanent side effects. I admit, this medication put me to sleep, but never through the entire night. Oh, yeah and then there was the time I woke up with a chocolate candy bar melted to the side of my face. Again, funny but I was really angry to have wasted a candy bar. Ok ok, yeah I ate the candy bar. Come on, I had to."

Bluewatersgal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2014