User Reviews for Zaleplon to treat Insomnia (Page 2)

Also known as: Sonata

Zaleplon has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 42% of those users who reviewed Zaleplon reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Zaleplon Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zaleplon

elaborategoddess · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2012

Sonata (zaleplon): “It didn't help me fall asleep at all. I tried it one night and I didn't sleep the whole night, so I tried it again during the day since I hadn't slept at night no bueano. Made me cough and hack really bad and sinus, had chest pain the next day. I tried again one more night still no sleep.”

Anonymous June 15, 2008

Sonata (zaleplon): “I agree with both of the other posts. Sonata is very effective and you feel no drowsiness in the morning. Also, you are not so completely zonked out that you can't awaken if necessary. At first I took it only when I awakened at 2 or 3 am, but now I take it before bedtime and sleep (7 hours) until the next morning. ”

Apnea and shift work May 8, 2008

Sonata (zaleplon): “I have Sleep Apnoea and was on rotating shift for 17 years. My doctor prescribed Ambien, which worked well, if I had 7-8 hours to devote to sleep. I do not take it every night. I do wakeup midway most nights. I was having a difficulty getting back to sleep. My doctor then prescribed Sonata for the times when I have less than 7 hours to sleep. I found it was effective and very mild. I can take with as little as an hour of sleep time available, with minimal side effects.”

Auntiem90 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): “I am bi/polar and awaken many times around 2 or 3 am with racing thoughts. This makes it impossible for me to go back to sleep and I am exhausted because of it. My Dr. had me try the Sonata and with taking it at these times I can get another 3 to 4 hours of sleep and awaken feeling very rested. I usually fall back to sleep within 15 minutes after taking it. Love it on those rough nights.”

TiredWidow July 30, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): “This medicine doesn't last. I'm on my second night of it and it's 4 am and I'm wide awake. My legs are very restless. I have stomach cramps. I've tired Tranzodone in fact I was up to 200 mgs and still didn't feel it. Ambien made me hallucinate. I just want to sleep at night so I can have normal days with my kids.”

Sw33t_P August 13, 2017

Sonata (zaleplon): “Sonata for the most part is great. I've had insomnia for years now and nothing seemed to phase me. I'm taking two 10mg and while it does work, I have those night where it doesn't do anything. Can't even tell I took it. I usually take it around 10pm. I've noticed if I have any food in my stomach it doesn't work or doesn't work as well. If I take it on an empty stomach it works great. With my schedule I sometimes can't eat until around 8:30-9:00 pm so on those nights I usually don't even take it because I know it won't work. Also, sometimes I wake up after about 4-5 hours of sleep and can't go back to sleep. Then some nights I sleep all night. Not sure if it's just me but it seems like sonata is very finicky.”

Jazzy · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Sonata (zaleplon): “I was previously on Lunesta, didn’t work, Trazodone, made things worse, and Ambien 10mg which was the best, but my body got too used to it. I was prescribed 5mg of Sonata and instructed to take 1-2 a night as needed. I ended up taking them first night and it was basically like popping tic tacs. I didn’t even yawn. Worst medicine EVER!”

Wizbang · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

“Using the recommended dose, I awoke in the city jail, after wrapping my Jeep around a pole, totalling it. I had ZERO recollection of the events, and left the house in my boxers and no shoes. VERY fortunate to have survived, and to not have hurt anyone else. Police report said I had no clue where I was or where I was going, despite being 6 blocks from home. Jeep was totalled. Will NEVER EVER EVER take any sleeping pill of any kind, EVER. I'd rather spend my days exhausted.”

Ivan g October 17, 2009

Sonata (zaleplon): “Falling asleep can be a bit of a challenge when my back and legs are cramping. Feels like a broom stick is constantly pushing hard on lower left side of back. This pill said take immediately before bed. It takes about 70 minutes for me to shut down after taking it. Other pills give aching shoulder and joints this one does not and no grogginess either. I can sleep through at least 6 hours after use and I appreciate the development of one medicine that works for me as I have tried many and they do not work well or have negative side effects.”

LadyIndyJones · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): “Started on 10mg for 1 week with little results. Woke up twice every night, seems like it took forever to get back to sleep. Doctor increased dose to 2 10mg per night-it's been a month now and I'm still waking up at least twice each night. I have tried taking both capsules around 9-9:30PM, or 1 at 9:30PM & the other around 11PM, same sleep interruptions. I decided to just get up at 4AM-when I'm awake the second time and stare at the TV or fix my husband's lunch. I'm still not feeling as if I'm getting a good night's sleep-find myself tired and grouchy during the day and early evening. Feeling very frustrated.”

Surf and Sand March 15, 2017

Sonata (zaleplon): “I was taking this medication on and off for over a year. Although it did help me go back to sleep, I found myself going to the doctor more and more for constipation, stomach pain, muscle pains, anxiety and the worst one tingling all over my body. I went through all sorts of miserable medical tests, and everything came back normal. It finally occurred to me that maybe this medication was causing all of my misery, so I looked up the side-effects and sure enough they are all listed. I am in the process of weaning myself off of this medication and feel like absolute crap. I wish I had never started this medication! My recommendation is: get a sleep study, try "natural"(less addicting) sleep aides, or trazadone and therapy for stress.”

Bella · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

Sonata (zaleplon): “I’ve had insomnia for around 16 years. Doctor tried me on multiple medications because nothing seemed to work. Ambien worked the most, but I began to build a tolerance too it so I was given Belsomra samples to try. Best medicine ever. Quickly fell asleep and stayed asleep and not groggy the next day. Went to fill the Belsomra prescription and insurance wouldn’t cover it because it’s a new drug without generics. Cost was approximately $500 for one month. Doctor said we could get prescription covered if we now tried two more medicines and if they didn’t work the insurance would approve the Belsomra. So we gave Sonata a go and it might as well be a placebo. Only get about 2-3 hours of restless sleep a night. Everyone has different reactions, but for me it didn’t do a thing.”

Very disappointing · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2016

Sonata (zaleplon): “This is by far the worst pill prescribed for sleep! !! I felt anxious irritable. ..heart was racing headache and my blood pressure increased along with abdominal discomfort and muscle pain. And if I I do fall asleep it's for an hour or so and I'm up for another hour and find it very hard to fall back to sleep . Never again !! this pill is not for me!!!”

KaraDB July 13, 2013

“I started taking zaleplon after finding that my previous sleeping pill (trazodone) made me sleepy well into the next day. Zaleplon has a much shorter half life than trazodone and it helps with falling asleep. The way my doctor described it was that it would ease my mind so I could fall asleep versus making me just drowsy. The first few weeks I fell asleep instantly. However, after being on zaleplon for awhile, I noticed that in the morning I had taken more pills (2 or 3) without remembering I had. I live alone, so I know I was the only one that could have taken them. I also did dishes and took trash out in my sleep. I now take a lower dose and haven't had the same issues since. Great sleeping pill but make sure you start on a low dose.”

Susana Santa · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2020

Sonata (zaleplon): “A major stroke messed my sleeping patterns. I can go without sleep for a week. I can be dead tired but I will not fall asleep. The doctor first had me in Ambien, nothing then Lunesta which worked great until the government insurance refused to cover it. I have issues both falling asleep and staying asleep. To complicate matters I take Adderall too. The nurse practitioner told me to take the pill after dinner. I was taking it at 9 PM, I even opened it and put it in apple sauce so it could be easily digested, it is not working. I end up falling asleep at 2 am. Then I can't get up. It is a nightmare.”

Zol October 21, 2019

“zaleplon did not work as well as ambien/zolpidem. I take 2-3 mg zolpidem when I wake up which is 4 hours after I fall asleep initially. Sometimes I don't take it and then just stay awake for 3- 4 hours til I can fall asleep again. I stop completely for weeks at a time, it causes rebound insomnia but I always want this drug to work so I stop so my tolerance doesn't build up. It's been 8 years, it still works to put me back to sleep in about 20 min. There's a window, you have to stop reading or whatever you're doing at the first tinge of tiredness or you can miss it and then it won't work. I am worried about the dementia issue, I'm 69 yrs old, but I think lack of sleep can cause that & I have never used benzos or allergy meds and have no health probs or other meds, so while I know there's a danger, I still use it. 2.5 mgs and I'm back to sleep for another 3-4 hrs. ”

2 o'clock Titus · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 30, 2017

Sonata (zaleplon): “I have no problem going to sleep (9 or 10). I'll will quite frequently wake up at 1:00am or 2:00am and cannot get back to sleep. When this happens I take 10mg and I will quickly go back to sleep until 4:30am or 5:00am which is the time I get up. If I get 6 to 7 hour of total sleep without waking up I won't take the Sonata .”

Tiques February 2, 2015

“After being a great sleeper I found myself looking up at the ceiling for several hours. I do not like taking medication. I got prescribed zaleplon as it is mild. Whenever I am overtired or stressed I take 1 or 2. It works perfectly and no side affects. I am 80 young.”

V SF · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 10, 2015

“I've only ever had problems falling asleep, zaleplon really helps my mind stop think about work and other nonsense. I've used zaleplon only when I needed to get to sleep because something was going on the next day and I would begin to worry about not being able to sleep, and it really does help with this. It also helps with jet-lag. Other times, I would just drink a lot. I've recently cut WAY back on the amount of alcohol and am relying much more on zaleplon. As my body is adjusting to less alcohol, I'm sleeping better without it. I used to wake up as soon as the zonleplon wore off, 4 hours on the dot. Now that I'm drinking so much less, I'm getting 6 to 7 hours sleep before waking, and then I'm able to go back to sleep a get a total of 8+.”

GinaJones · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2020

“Chronic insomniac here and this Reclast has been a miracle drug for me, been on a dose 10mg twice nightly (one before bed another when I wake up at some point and can't go back to sleep) for at least 10 years. Reading others reviews I agree--don't miss the sleep window as it has a very short half life. Best to be horizontal within 10 minutes of taking it. It knocks me out nicely but doesn't keep me asleep, hence the second pill. Can get a good 7-9 hours sleep MOST of the time with this dosing. And there is no hangover effect for me since they eliminate within about 3 hours.”

Jakefiner March 25, 2021

“Waste of time, I took a 10mg capsule of Sonata (Zaleplon). Insurance covers 30 pills every 365 days. Not ideal for someone who is a chronic insomnia. Will not be taking this medication again. Completely pointless. It probably works for some people, but I’ve only talked to one other person that took this and she said “nothing happened it’s like I took baby aspirin”. In the past, I have tried Ambien, Ambien CR, Lunesta, Trazodone, Quetiapine (Seroquel), Nortriptyline, and pretty much every first generation antihistamine that causes sedation, otc and prescription. I use the app insight timer every night which helps me on a cognitive level. I’ve tried countless natural remedies and hormones like melatonin. I recently took 4 months off from sleeping pills. I wouldn’t ever suggest this drug or give this drug to a patient, but it’s not gonna hurt you to try 5mg or 10mg. I just don’t think it’s gonna be effective.”

Cool cat · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2018

Sonata (zaleplon): “I wanted to try alternate sleeping pill cause Trazodone makes me eat carbohydrates crazy and put on weight. So he gave Belsomra and I scared of those side effects I declined it. Tried sonata 10mg and I didn't go to sleep. Maybe slept 2-3 hours and have a nauseous stomach, feel jittery and tired. Hated it. Would rather have the weight gain and carb craves if it means Ill sleep and wake up feeling great.”

finger_man April 5, 2018

Sonata (zaleplon): “Works. I used to take ambien (zolpiderm) for years. It had major long-term memory effects. Now it works but if I wake I'm wide awake for hours. Sonata different. Somewhat like Valium (diazepam) but shorter acting. I generally need two. I try one first. If no sleep after TWO HOUR'S, I'll take a second (10mg). Works about 95% One only works 50%. I'll note that sometimes taken with full stomach but that doesn't seem to affect. I do feel pretty rested after this medication 1 or 2 doses. Also works well if I pop up after 2-3 hours 1 will do. I give it an 8 rating: the addiction notes here (no surprise) and my past history of memory loss make me suspicious & I can't rate for more severe needs. In fact I wouldn't recommend for either regular nor long-term use. Useful for intermittent use.”

SleepingBeauty007 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2014

“I have chronic back pain that I take a pain medicine for. (Nucynta- and it's great!). I still had a problem with falling asleep so my pain doctor suggested I try this. It has changed my life. It is so amazing how it works. You really don't know it's working until you lie down and try to go to sleep. This pill doesn't give you the normal feelings of getting sleepy like the others. This is working your brain to shut down in such a cool way you hardly know it unless you stay up waiting for that feeling. I think if I didn't have the back pain I would probably sleep straight through the night but my pain meds run out after 5hrs so I have to take one again for that. No probs going back to sleep. I get a lot of memory loss on the night before though. May have bin the ”

Jemm · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2018

“Doesn’t work for sleep. It kept me up EVEN longer and made me more alert !! I was shocked. After about 3 days I finally was able to take a 4 hour nap. I have extreme insomnia and was disappointed this drug made it even worse.”

Learn more about Insomnia