User Reviews for Tranexamic acid

Also known as: Lysteda, Cyklokapron

Tranexamic acid has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 236 ratings on Drugs.com. 65% of those users who reviewed Tranexamic acid reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Menorrhagia
Factor IX Deficiency
Summary of Tranexamic acid reviews 7.1 236 reviews

Reviews for Tranexamic acid

Doll · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2021

For Menorrhagia: “Hi everyone. I had a myomectomy last year in August 2020 as I had a huge fibroid which was 15cm. Just before this surgery for one month I suffered from heavy periods and one day I had to get admitted in emergency as the flow was uncontrollable and I was changing my pads within 5 minutes with large blood clots. To stop this bleeding doctor gave me injection of tranexamic acid and then before surgery I had it for 2 days. It’s an effective medicine no doubt and after surgery I am still taking it coz of heavy bleeding on 2nd day but what I noticed is that it is making my each cycle more heavier than previous. Initially I started taking only 1 pill on 2nd day. But on 4th month I had to take 10 tablets for 4 days . I don’t know what is this but tranexamic acid makes blood clots and after taking this I started passing more clots with less bleeding. Can anybody experienced the same please tell”

KSLP · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 8, 2021

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “So grateful for this drug. I don't think I realized how much my heavy periods decreased my quality of life. I would have to say no to outings-especially hikes or water activities that fell on the wrong day. I would miss multiple nights of good sleep because I was anxious about bleeding through or busy getting up to go to the bathroom multiple times. The missed sleep and anxiety about bleeding through at night and during the day would affect me for the rest of the week. For more than a decade I battled anemia. I was in a fog because of this. For the first time, with only taking intermittent iron, my iron and hemoglobin levels were normal recently. I do occasionally get a mild headache with this drug but worth it as it is very mild.”

Amby · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2021

For Menorrhagia: “I had been bleeding for 62 days non stop heavy. Tried different medications and nothing. Started this and within 5 days it stopped completely. I have some side effects extremely tired, vision issues, upset stomach and pain in my legs. So I have to stop it - dang it. I have surgery in two weeks hopefully I wont start bleeding again I wish I could take this cause it works !”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 21, 2020

For Menstrual Disorders: “I've been taking tranexamic acid tablets (2 tablets 3 times a day) for almost 2 years now due to heavy, constant bleeding for over 2 years. It's not fully stopping my bleeding, some days I won't bleed at all but most days I will bleed and quite often I will bleed so heavily it will go through my tampons and clothing too. I've been to a gynaecologist and so many doctors over the 2 years however they've done an ultrasound and blood tests and found nothing. It's making me feel so depressed and I am in a lot of pain with this. It's caused anaemia for me and just bad pains, headaches and extreme tiredness. I'm struggling on what else to do. The doctors have advised the DEPPO injection and I've had 2 now and it's still not stopped. Why aren't they taking this more seriously? This isn't right, I don't know if there's something really serious going on or if it's affecting my fertility etc. Has anyone got any advice or have experienced something similar?”

Cathy August 22, 2020

For Menorrhagia: “About a year ago my periods become unbearable. I would always leak at night, even with a super+ tampon and night pad. Doctor prescribed tranexamic acid 500mgs tablets to be taken two at a time, three times a day during my period. For me this seemed a lot, so I tried taking just one tablet twice a day to see how I got on. It worked wonders, I didn’t leak at all and went through half of the tampons/pads that I usually would. However...1-2 weeks after that period, I have been spotting a lot. In 15 years of periods I have never experienced spotting, so this seems be a side effect of the tablets for me (even though it is not listed as a side effect anywhere). The uterine lining still has to be shed every period, so perhaps this is continuing to happen after the tablets are out of my system if it wasn’t able to during that period due to the tablets. I haven’t been able to find any info on spotting while taking tranexamic acid anywhere, so I’m wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.”

Pushing 50 · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: “Consulted my Gyn due to heavier than normal periods - specifically on my second day (in the bathroom changing every hour to avoid bleeding through). I got concerned when I felt weak while on my period. Prior to using Lysteda (650 mg), I been using topical progesterone cream which was mostly helpful with establishing a more normal frequency of my cycles from every 18 to 21 days to 24-26 day cycles. I tried it this weekend when experiencing that second day flood. Just took 1 pill. It was a miracle! It really slowed down the flow: instead of every hour, only when I had to use the bathroom (about 4-5 hours). No side effects noted. I’ve been sharing this with everyone I know who suffers with heavy menstrual cycles.”

Missy61 January 18, 2014

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “After bleeding for almost 8 weeks half the time very heavy with many clots and the other half lighter/less clots Lysteda has helped me. I am 52 and have had two endometrial biopsies and sonohistograms. Results:thick uterine lining, and a small fibroid. After being told the only treatment was a D&C I wanted to try medication as a first line of treatment keeping surgery as the last resort. I was told to take 2 tablets three times a day. By the second dose my flow was much lighter. I am also very anemic now cause I waited too long to pursue the medication. Ladies, try it, don't wait till you're terribly anemic like me. I also have IBS and was afraid of taking it but so far so good.”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

For Menorrhagia: “This tranexamic acid treatment worked for me. I have two large grapefruit sized fibroids and endometriosis. I am 39 and have 3 children. I had been bleeding for 60 days with large blood clots. I tried a progestin only because as an estrogen and progesterone birth control and neither worked. I was delirious too on the birth control due to its hormones. I was moody, depressed, delusional. My doctor put me on Lysteda (transexamic acid) I took it for the 5 days 6 pills a day and at first there was absolutely no change until day 5 the bleeding was lighter. I called my gyn and told her it reduced to spotting. She said that’s a good sign I was thinking no I want it gone not reduced. Low and behold day 8 after finishing the treatment day 5 my period was off gone. No spotting or bleeding when I urinated. Nothing up in there at all I was so shocked. It worked.”

dpie44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “I am on day 3 of my cycle and of taking Lysteda. I take 2 pills 3x's a day. This is my first months use and I can say without doubt I will take Lysteda as long as my doctor will allow! I am usually homebound the first 3 days of my period as I have to have access to a bathroom every 15 minutes. Not to mention the horrendous pain from cramps. Lysteda started working within a half hour of taking first dose. My flow was reduced by at least 60%. A couple of ibuprofen for light cramps and life was business as usual. I was able to go out and not worry about excessive bleeding. After more than 30 years of being imprisoned by my cycle I finally can live life again! I am so happy I just want to shout it from the top of the world! ”

Nusik January 16, 2021

For Menstrual Disorders: “I have extremely heavy periods with iron deficiency and heart palpitations due to low iron. I started taking tranexamic acid and wow my periods reduced from 300ml a cycle to maybe 80ml ! I could not go out without running to the toilet hourly and even getting up multiple times overnight despite wearing a menstrual cup and a pad. Now I can sleep all night!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2014

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: “Lysteda is amazing. I have menorrhagia caused by adenomyosis. I have dealt with disablingly heavy periods for nearly 10 years. I usually take two days off from work and wear diapers for the first two days of my period, waking up several times throughout the night to change. I also experience debilitating cramps and became severely anemic from the heavy bleeding. This is my first month on Lysteda. I just completed my third day of treatment, and this is the first normal period I have had in years - no diapers and no cramping whatsoever! My flow was so light that I only had to change my pad a few times on the heaviest day, and had no need for tampons. I highly recommend Lysteda.”

GirliegirlWA · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: “I am 45 years old and have been suffering disabling heavy periods for about 6 years now. My doctor suggested ablation for my heavy periods but I wanted to try non-surgical remedies first. This medicine is AMAZING. I take 2 pills 3 times a day for 3 days (total of 18 pills). I start on the 2nd day of my period which is the heaviest. My period dries up and is over within 4 days. I have headaches on or off this medicine during my period so I cannot say for sure whether that is a side effect. I have my life back each month.”

HeavyFlowFibroids · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

For Menstrual Disorders: “I have fibroids and my periods reflects this with large clots, blood pouring into toilet, soaking super size tampon in 25 minutes and severe cramps. Took this medication as prescribed, (2 tablets every 8 hours up to five days) and by dose 3, my period gets manageable. I use Tynol Extra Strength for my cramping pain because Advil is a blood thinner and it works good. I can go 2 hours with a super size tampon now and the extreme heavy bleeding is down to a "normal" heavy period. I'd say it reduced bleeding by 40 to 50 %. Instead of 5 or 6 days of bleeding heavy, it's 3 days of " normal" heavy and 6 days in total of menstruation. Ladies I recommend giving this a go if you also have severe heavy periods. Mild headache as side effect but it is tummy friendly and I have my life back during my periods.”

Tiger · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 20, 2019

For Menstrual Disorders: “I am in my late 40s and was experiencing very very heavy periods. I went to my primary doctor and he immediately suggested the Depo Shot that was the worst mistake I could make I bleed heavy for 3 months and I swore that I was not going back to get the next dose. This med take well over 4 months to get out of your system so the ongoing bleeding caused me Anemia. I had to see a gyno which was a great decision because she helped me get my iron back to normal and she prescribed me Tranexamic Acid which reduces the bleeding. I am highly satisfied now because my period is now regular and it only last 3 days. I make sure to take all 3 doses for 3 days 650mg it's a lot but it definitely work well for me. I don't experience any side effects and I have been on it for 1 1/2 years. Good luck I hope this info was helpful.”

kitten May 11, 2020

For Menorrhagia: “On round/month 3 of the lysteda for extremely heavy bleeding. It was a life changer for me. Before,I was bleeding heavy and fast and going through a super plus every hour, sometimes even sooner. Up all night running to the bathroom, bleeding through several sets of clothes and sheets and had to buy hospital like pads for the bed because I would even bleed through towels. I couldn't drive farther than 30 minutes (which I often need to) because I couldn't trust what my body was going to do. This med gave me my life back during that time of the month. I wish I had gone to the dr sooner. To note, I have always had quite heavy periods, but about 3-4 mos ago, they got really bad. -Enough where going to the dr was important. It turns out I have a fibroid embedded in the muscle in the top part of my uterus likely causing the extra heavy bleeding. I hope anyone reading this makes sure to get regular checkups if you can and ask a lot of questions to your Dr.”

Nikki June 15, 2020

For Menorrhagia: “I was prescribed tranexamic two three times a day in January and it changed my life. I was having to change my clothes up to 7x a day bleeding through supermax tampon and night time super plus pad every hour. I also began to feel lightheaded, shakey and weak and like I was dying in. The first day I took transexemic acid I saw major results and it has been working to give me what I assume periods should be like sometimes I wouldn't have to take all three doses after day 3. It changed my life. So I have been on them since January this is my 6th cycle, thing is I am not taking them so far this time as I am barely spotting only noticing when wiping a colour change to a dark brown which means old blood. I am not sure why this has happened not complaining it is impossible that I am pregnant so it must be a result of taking this for 5 cycles. Looking to see if it builds up in the body or something. Prefer this way round but tbh part of me feels uneasy like where's the lining of uterus if not coming out.”

Jasmine · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2020

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: “It’s been a year and a half since my tubal ligation and I’ve been having ‘a time’ with my menses. Sometimes I see them and sometimes they stay on for MONTHS. Well I’ve had enough. The doctor tried provera for 10 days and a birth control pill to help regulate my cycle and calm down some of the bleeding. It only made it worse. Yesterday, she prescribed Lysteda and I’ve only taken the first dose (2 pills) and I’m already seeing results!! (Less bleeding).... I was so scared to try it at first because of the side effects but I haven’t had any so far! ”

gina618 June 5, 2015

For Bleeding Disorder: “I must say that after 1 year of extremely heavy periods, I honestly didn't think that taking these pills would help. I was using about 70 pads per cycle. Today is my 2nd day and the bleeding has slowed down by at least 75%. I don't usually comment, but I figured I should just in case someone is looking for some relief. I feel so much better already. Hope and pray it continues..”

CactusFlower in AZ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “I am a 49 year old female that has been suffering for 2 years with painful, heavy periods due to fibroids. First 2 days always had to double up with tampon and pad both; My gyn dr. prescribed me Lysteda also known as Tranexamic Acid. Dosage is 2 tablets, 3x a day, for 5 days. It started working immediately, cutting the blood flow by 50-80%. I no longer had to double up protection and I can now sleep through the night. I still had some cramping on the 2nd day, but OTC pain relief helped that. Side effects: 1 hr after taking the pills, light headed/slightly dizzy; minor headaches (nothing unmanageable). I found the pills to be too large to swallow, so had to cut them in half or thirds. Overall I love this medication, it has given me my life back.”

Momma S · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “I have horrible periods ever since getting my tubes tied 4 years ago. I bleed so much so fast. An overnight pad and tampon every hour . I wake up in the middle of the night overflowing my overnight pad. My doctor prescribed me these pills last month. My first period was 75% lighter within an hour. I only took it the first 3 heavy days. Period ended like normal. This month my period is barely there and I haven’t even taken it. I’m on my second day and it started to pick up a little so I took the medication. With in a half hour it’s more like spotting than a period. I love this medicine and wish I would have found it sooner. The only side effects I have experienced are the tiredness the first time I took it and the cough I seem to have gotten after this second time I took it. I’m not sure if the cough is from the medicine or not but it didn’t start until this evening.”

changed1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “I tried this medicine for the first time during my last cycle. It worked immediately and drastically reduced my extremely heavy flow. However, I had headaches the first few days. This is not a usual experience. Also, I am usually EXTREMELY REGULAR. As of today, my cycle is 14 days late. I am not complaining and hope it never returns. ”

Jeannie July 27, 2019

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “I have had extremely heavy periods for at least 10 years and was anemic to the point where I was out of breath all of the time. I went in to have an ablation as an in office procedure but the dr could not get into my cervix so I could not have it done. The dr told me about this medication as an option to try. I was afraid and did not take at first after getting the RX. About 3 months later I was at my wits end so decided to take and am so happy I did. My bleeding is down by 50 to 60 percent. I really only need two pills twice a day on my heaviest days to control things and to feel normal again. I have been able to do so many more activities and have not had to miss work due to the heavy bleeding. I am very busy at work and in and out of meetings all day and this has helped me so much! This also helps my cramps I think because my uterus is not contracting as much due to less blood. It’s an amazing drug and has really changed my life”

Zara · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2019

For Menstrual Disorders: “Tranexamic acid has been a miracle for me, I have PCOS and likely endometriosis as well but am still waiting for a diagnosis on the latter. During my period I have uncontrollable mood swings (which I treat herbally with Chaste Tree- comes as vitex in health shops) and agonizing period cramps, large clots and flooding (I stand up and blood gushes out) this drug has been an absolute miracle. For the first time in 15 years with tranexamic acid I FORGOT that I had my period and it has significantly reduced the pain and amount of blood I lose. Keep in mind I have fainted from pain and low blood pressure in the shower on my period several times. Ladies at least try it, it means that I can go to work and do my uni work and get on with my life. It is the best thing for heavy periods and agonizing pain. It made me feel a little hyper which was a nice change from praying for death. I'm Australian and its about $40 for a lot of tablets on a Doctors prescription.”

Shelly · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2019

For Menstrual Disorders: “I have to share my experience with tranexamic acid for heavy periods that I have had for as long as I can remember. I would be bleeding through two boxes of super plus tampons bleeding for 7 days and just horrible cramps sometimes most of the time during my period. I don't even leave the house because it's so heavy this tranexamic acid has been a miracle worker for me it reduce my bleeding up to 50%. I am so happy that I found this and my doctor prescribed that I had no side effects and it's amazing it has truly truly helped me and I am so grateful”

T November 16, 2019

For Menstrual Disorders: “I had a myomectomy about 3 years ago for fibroids, Less than a year later in 2017, same dr says the fibroids came back which mean I had a pointless surgery. The . doctor suggested to remove my uterus at the age of 38 with no kids and apparently no future to have kids, because the surgery was to enhance my chances of having kids. The dr then suggested the tranexamic Acid 650 mgs 2 pills/3 times a day. The drug was working at first lighter and shorten cycles, was able to enjoy life during my cycles, last 3 months (I guess there is a new manufacturer) manufacturing the drug - and now it is no longer working. Very Heavy and more painful cycles. Huge blood clots and a lot more blood in the toilet making me weak and dizzy due to the increased blood loss. I'm not sure why would anyone change the medication, but it was working great at first and now it is not. I sure hate it. My only other option is the hysterectomy while still in my late 30's. VERY DISAPPOINTING AND DISHEARTENING.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 27, 2019

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menorrhagia: “This medication Lysteda has saved my life!! I am 34 and have been dealing with debilitating cramps and heavy period bleeding for years. I am also anemic as a result of the excessive blood loss- mid cycle spotting plus 8 day periods. I found out about this medication through a google search (my doctors have all wanted to put me on Birth Control and suggested NSAIDs which do NOT help me). It works within an hour of taking it- cramps are completely eliminated and the bleeding reduces to “normal” levels.”

KimberlyE June 1, 2017

Lysteda (tranexamic acid) for Menstrual Disorders: “This medication has been a life saver for me. I usually bleed so bad that I can't go anywhere when I have my period. I flood the whole time! My doctor prescribed this for my Disney Trip. What a lifesaver! My periods are much lighter and I have no side effects from this medication. Love it!!”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

For Menstrual Disorders: “I have had irregular bleeding or ‘withdrawal bleeding’ since I’ve changed my pill. Been bleeding for 11 days now (5 days on Tranexamic Acid) And it hasn’t lightened at all, if anything it’s got heavier. How do I stop this? Tempted to stop the pill completely as I can’t cope with this now. I shouldn’t be bleeding for this long and it’s making me feel ill....probably due to being low in iron due to the prolonged bleeding. HELP!”