User Reviews for Tranexamic acid to treat Melasma

Also known as: Cyklokapron, Lysteda

Tranexamic acid has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Melasma. 42% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 58% reported a negative effect.

Tranexamic acid Rating Summary

4.8/10 average rating

Compare all 3 medications used in the treatment of Melasma.

Reviews for Tranexamic acid

Wendy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2019

“Lightened my forehead Melasma in a week and continues to lighten, I’ve only been on it a little over a month. My Melasma is so light I can’t even see where it used to be on my cheek and my forehead spot is so faint I don’t care to cover it with makeup anymore ( I wouldn’t be caught without concealer on before starting), I don't think anyone even notices it. I am supposed to take 650 daily, half am, half pm, but usually skip pm dose since just half is helping so much anyway. My doc only wants me to take it for 3 months.”

ahsam · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 20, 2020

“My dermatologist prescribed the minimum dosage of tranexamic acid for my melasma. I took it long with some skincare for about 2 months. My skin looked great. But then I stopped because I noticed unusual swelling in my legs and numbness in my hand. I felt in my gut that this was related, since it is a vascular issue. After I stopped my hair started shedding my crazy and I also noticed that I had much more grey. Also, my melasma came back darker than it was before. None of the side effects were discussed. I do not think this is a safe option. Terrible health consequences and no sustainable results. I'm pretty scared that now I have DVT in my right leg. My hair is more than 50% gone.”

Curiosity Cat January 31, 2016

“*WARNING* I Decided to try this medication for treating pigmentation. Unfortunately I have haven't been on the course long enough to see the improvement. But have experienced side effects, of extreme tiredness, foggy-ness, light headedness, depression along with a swollen lip and hyper sensitivity of my thyroid etc.... and its only been 10 days of use. I am putting this out there that people need to be extra cautious with this drug. For me personally I don't think its worth the effect it brings onto your body, Along with other horror stories I have read In the reviews, I won't be taking this drug lightly. ”

Star · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2019

“The melasma was 80 percent gone. I used it for six months 650 dosage. After stopped using it for a month or so, the melasma came back much darker. Yet, I'm using the best sunscreen out there and re-apply multiple times a day, but that darn thing still sneaking up on me, and now I'm back to square one. As far as side effects goes: I experienced weight loss, hair loss, grey hair, cold tingling feet , and unpredictable menstrual flow. All in all, I will not take this drug again. It's not worth going through with these side effects.”

Ezabelle November 9, 2017

“My GP prescribed this to me for melasma. Dosage was 1 a day. After a few months, results were apparent. It was fantastic. I have been on it for 6 months now and my menstrual flow has also improved and I experience less cramps compared to before I was on it.”

Bonet · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2017

“My dermatologist in Philippines have prescribed it for my melasma, for 3 months. After a month and a half, have seen a significant decrease , then disappear after 3 months . But as soon as I stopped using it. My brown spots starts coming back again even with continued sunscreen. The side effects I experience was a slight increase of my blood pressure and anemia.”

Cj · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2020

“I started using tranexamic acid in March 2020. I used it for 4 months and my skin was looking better than it had in over 10 years. As soon as I stopped my hair started to fall out. I don't know what to do. I can't stop it. Now here I am in September 2020 and the melasma is almost completely back. Now I have two big problems. So depressing.”

KelB · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2017

“Side effect concerns : After three day of taking 325mg twice a day I became light headed, rapid heart rate (like it was going to jump out of my body) and extreme tiredness. I stopped on day four and this may be unrelated but have a bad leg cramp, in my calf. Concerns of a blood clot are high for me (no medical professional has looked at my leg yet).”

KitKat · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2021

“I was prescribed TXA for melasma, which seemed to work - my melasma started to lighten after only a few weeks. However 6 weeks in to the treatment, my hair started shedding a lot. I stopped taking the TXA, however my hair continued to shed. I have not been taking the TXA for a month and my hair is continuing to thin and receded at the hair line, crown and nape of my neck. If anyone else experienced this, did your hair eventually return?”

Valerie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 12, 2020

“I took 650mg for 2 months and my melasma was about 80% gone. Once I stopped taking the pill, it slowly started to return even with SPF and avoiding the sun. It is not as dark as it was previously and I would think it’s because of the tranexamic acid serum I continue to apply twice a day.”

Michelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

“I have been on this medication for 2 months and my melasma has almost completely disappeared!!! I have tried everything and this is my miracle drug!!!”

Alison · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2019

“Took it for a couple of months and the melasma disappeared. I’ve tried many things and this is the only one that has worked. I’m feeling much more comfortable and confident. Highly recommend.”

Stacy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2019

“I used tranexamic for melasma for only 90 days because that's all my doctor would prescribe for 650mg and my spot lightened a little but have returned to normal since I stopped.”

Kelly · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2020

“I am taking just 250mg once a day. I am feeling extreme tiredness, headaches, body aches with it just took 3 doses till now...so side effects are really disturbing.”

Learn more about Melasma