User Reviews for Tranexamic acid to treat Menorrhagia

Also known as: Cyklokapron, Lysteda

Tranexamic acid has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 101 ratings for the treatment of Menorrhagia. 71% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Tranexamic acid Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Menorrhagia.

Reviews for Tranexamic acid

Cathy August 22, 2020

“About a year ago my periods become unbearable. I would always leak at night, even with a super+ tampon and night pad. Doctor prescribed tranexamic acid 500mgs tablets to be taken two at a time, three times a day during my period. For me this seemed a lot, so I tried taking just one tablet twice a day to see how I got on. It worked wonders, I didn’t leak at all and went through half of the tampons/pads that I usually would. However...1-2 weeks after that period, I have been spotting a lot. In 15 years of periods I have never experienced spotting, so this seems be a side effect of the tablets for me (even though it is not listed as a side effect anywhere). The uterine lining still has to be shed every period, so perhaps this is continuing to happen after the tablets are out of my system if it wasn’t able to during that period due to the tablets. I haven’t been able to find any info on spotting while taking tranexamic acid anywhere, so I’m wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing.”

Missy61 January 18, 2014

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “After bleeding for almost 8 weeks half the time very heavy with many clots and the other half lighter/less clots Lysteda has helped me. I am 52 and have had two endometrial biopsies and sonohistograms. Results:thick uterine lining, and a small fibroid. After being told the only treatment was a D&C I wanted to try medication as a first line of treatment keeping surgery as the last resort. I was told to take 2 tablets three times a day. By the second dose my flow was much lighter. I am also very anemic now cause I waited too long to pursue the medication. Ladies, try it, don't wait till you're terribly anemic like me. I also have IBS and was afraid of taking it but so far so good.”

dpie44 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I am on day 3 of my cycle and of taking Lysteda. I take 2 pills 3x's a day. This is my first months use and I can say without doubt I will take Lysteda as long as my doctor will allow! I am usually homebound the first 3 days of my period as I have to have access to a bathroom every 15 minutes. Not to mention the horrendous pain from cramps. Lysteda started working within a half hour of taking first dose. My flow was reduced by at least 60%. A couple of ibuprofen for light cramps and life was business as usual. I was able to go out and not worry about excessive bleeding. After more than 30 years of being imprisoned by my cycle I finally can live life again! I am so happy I just want to shout it from the top of the world! ”

Nikki · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2020

“This tranexamic acid treatment worked for me. I have two large grapefruit sized fibroids and endometriosis. I am 39 and have 3 children. I had been bleeding for 60 days with large blood clots. I tried a progestin only because as an estrogen and progesterone birth control and neither worked. I was delirious too on the birth control due to its hormones. I was moody, depressed, delusional. My doctor put me on Lysteda (transexamic acid) I took it for the 5 days 6 pills a day and at first there was absolutely no change until day 5 the bleeding was lighter. I called my gyn and told her it reduced to spotting. She said that’s a good sign I was thinking no I want it gone not reduced. Low and behold day 8 after finishing the treatment day 5 my period was off gone. No spotting or bleeding when I urinated. Nothing up in there at all I was so shocked. It worked.”

CactusFlower in AZ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I am a 49 year old female that has been suffering for 2 years with painful, heavy periods due to fibroids. First 2 days always had to double up with tampon and pad both; My gyn dr. prescribed me Lysteda also known as Tranexamic Acid. Dosage is 2 tablets, 3x a day, for 5 days. It started working immediately, cutting the blood flow by 50-80%. I no longer had to double up protection and I can now sleep through the night. I still had some cramping on the 2nd day, but OTC pain relief helped that. Side effects: 1 hr after taking the pills, light headed/slightly dizzy; minor headaches (nothing unmanageable). I found the pills to be too large to swallow, so had to cut them in half or thirds. Overall I love this medication, it has given me my life back.”

Nikki June 15, 2020

“I was prescribed tranexamic two three times a day in January and it changed my life. I was having to change my clothes up to 7x a day bleeding through supermax tampon and night time super plus pad every hour. I also began to feel lightheaded, shakey and weak and like I was dying in. The first day I took transexemic acid I saw major results and it has been working to give me what I assume periods should be like sometimes I wouldn't have to take all three doses after day 3. It changed my life. So I have been on them since January this is my 6th cycle, thing is I am not taking them so far this time as I am barely spotting only noticing when wiping a colour change to a dark brown which means old blood. I am not sure why this has happened not complaining it is impossible that I am pregnant so it must be a result of taking this for 5 cycles. Looking to see if it builds up in the body or something. Prefer this way round but tbh part of me feels uneasy like where's the lining of uterus if not coming out.”

changed1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I tried this medicine for the first time during my last cycle. It worked immediately and drastically reduced my extremely heavy flow. However, I had headaches the first few days. This is not a usual experience. Also, I am usually EXTREMELY REGULAR. As of today, my cycle is 14 days late. I am not complaining and hope it never returns. ”

kitten May 11, 2020

“On round/month 3 of the lysteda for extremely heavy bleeding. It was a life changer for me. Before,I was bleeding heavy and fast and going through a super plus every hour, sometimes even sooner. Up all night running to the bathroom, bleeding through several sets of clothes and sheets and had to buy hospital like pads for the bed because I would even bleed through towels. I couldn't drive farther than 30 minutes (which I often need to) because I couldn't trust what my body was going to do. This med gave me my life back during that time of the month. I wish I had gone to the dr sooner. To note, I have always had quite heavy periods, but about 3-4 mos ago, they got really bad. -Enough where going to the dr was important. It turns out I have a fibroid embedded in the muscle in the top part of my uterus likely causing the extra heavy bleeding. I hope anyone reading this makes sure to get regular checkups if you can and ask a lot of questions to your Dr.”

Doll · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2021

“Hi everyone. I had a myomectomy last year in August 2020 as I had a huge fibroid which was 15cm. Just before this surgery for one month I suffered from heavy periods and one day I had to get admitted in emergency as the flow was uncontrollable and I was changing my pads within 5 minutes with large blood clots. To stop this bleeding doctor gave me injection of tranexamic acid and then before surgery I had it for 2 days. It’s an effective medicine no doubt and after surgery I am still taking it coz of heavy bleeding on 2nd day but what I noticed is that it is making my each cycle more heavier than previous. Initially I started taking only 1 pill on 2nd day. But on 4th month I had to take 10 tablets for 4 days . I don’t know what is this but tranexamic acid makes blood clots and after taking this I started passing more clots with less bleeding. Can anybody experienced the same please tell”

Momma S · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I have horrible periods ever since getting my tubes tied 4 years ago. I bleed so much so fast. An overnight pad and tampon every hour . I wake up in the middle of the night overflowing my overnight pad. My doctor prescribed me these pills last month. My first period was 75% lighter within an hour. I only took it the first 3 heavy days. Period ended like normal. This month my period is barely there and I haven’t even taken it. I’m on my second day and it started to pick up a little so I took the medication. With in a half hour it’s more like spotting than a period. I love this medicine and wish I would have found it sooner. The only side effects I have experienced are the tiredness the first time I took it and the cough I seem to have gotten after this second time I took it. I’m not sure if the cough is from the medicine or not but it didn’t start until this evening.”

Jeannie July 27, 2019

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I have had extremely heavy periods for at least 10 years and was anemic to the point where I was out of breath all of the time. I went in to have an ablation as an in office procedure but the dr could not get into my cervix so I could not have it done. The dr told me about this medication as an option to try. I was afraid and did not take at first after getting the RX. About 3 months later I was at my wits end so decided to take and am so happy I did. My bleeding is down by 50 to 60 percent. I really only need two pills twice a day on my heaviest days to control things and to feel normal again. I have been able to do so many more activities and have not had to miss work due to the heavy bleeding. I am very busy at work and in and out of meetings all day and this has helped me so much! This also helps my cramps I think because my uterus is not contracting as much due to less blood. It’s an amazing drug and has really changed my life”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 27, 2019

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “This medication Lysteda has saved my life!! I am 34 and have been dealing with debilitating cramps and heavy period bleeding for years. I am also anemic as a result of the excessive blood loss- mid cycle spotting plus 8 day periods. I found out about this medication through a google search (my doctors have all wanted to put me on Birth Control and suggested NSAIDs which do NOT help me). It works within an hour of taking it- cramps are completely eliminated and the bleeding reduces to “normal” levels.”

Jackie · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2018

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “Was scared to try this after the reviews but took the first day of my cycle and it stopped it completely. I waited another day and took again once my cycle kicked in again and the results were amazing. I feel like a normal person again, no bleeding through, nice light days. I cannot wait to see what happens next month. Last month I sneezed and needed to leave work to change my pants with double protection on. This is a game changer... hopefully this is my solution.”

Efs1987 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 2, 2016

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “Lysteda changed my life. For years, I have experienced incredibly painful periods with debilitating blood flow. I experienced severe anemia, bruising, and menstrual cramps that caused vomiting and fainting. I would clot through super pads and tampons at least one per hour (wearing them simultaneously even overnight) for five+ days. It was impossible to even leave my house because of how often I would bleed through my clothes. My dr recommended trying Lysteda before opting for an irreversibly surgery. (I am not able to go on bc or use implants due to a uterine deformity.) Lysteda started working immediately, within an hour. My periods last about 4 days now and I can get away with wearing just a pad. My life has changed and I am so thankful!!”

Anonymous January 11, 2012

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I have only been taking 1 pill 3x a day instead of 2 3x a day, and only on the worst days as soon as it's bad, which in turn caused it to shorten my cycle and definitely the huge clots were gone - what a relief! I also take iron because of being tired. Prior to trying this medicine, I had an endometrial ablation which failed and none of the birth control pills helped either. My only recourse if this stops working is a hysterectomy. I wish my menopause would start already, I'm done having children and have been having hot flashes for over 5 years now!”

KSLP · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 8, 2021

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “So grateful for this drug. I don't think I realized how much my heavy periods decreased my quality of life. I would have to say no to outings-especially hikes or water activities that fell on the wrong day. I would miss multiple nights of good sleep because I was anxious about bleeding through or busy getting up to go to the bathroom multiple times. The missed sleep and anxiety about bleeding through at night and during the day would affect me for the rest of the week. For more than a decade I battled anemia. I was in a fog because of this. For the first time, with only taking intermittent iron, my iron and hemoglobin levels were normal recently. I do occasionally get a mild headache with this drug but worth it as it is very mild.”

Kande35 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 13, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I've been taking Lysteda for over a year and I absolutely love it! I have fibroids and I bleed very heavily (soak a super plus tampon in an hour). With Lysteda my periods are so much better! I take 4 pills per day (morning and night) for two days and the bleeding is decreased by about 60% to 70%. I do get headaches after taking it but it's worth it.”

cantwaittillmenapause July 22, 2016

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “This is my first treatment for severe heavy bleeding. I have two small fibroids. I'm on day two and this drug has made a remarkable difference. Its reduced my severe bleeding to the use of a panty liner. I have had NO side effects yet. This has been a remarkable change for me. I will follow up to let you know if it changes my length.”

68rpm January 27, 2013

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I took Lysteda 2 pills 3x a day for 5 days and my period was much lighter. Extremely lighter. But then I got another period for another 5 days after no flow for 4 days and now I am having a third period this month. They are all lighter and more manageable but who wants to bleed for 15 days of the month. I am planning to try it again next month to see if my body just needed to get use to it but this month wasn't what I was expecting.”

star 2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2013

Cyklokapron (tranexamic acid): “I take Cyclokapron 500 mg 2 tabs 3 times a day for 4 days along with 2 tablets of Naproxen twice a day famotidine one tablet twice a day. I am 47 yrs old and am suffering since 2 yrs. Fibroids (stable size) but excessive bleeding requiring changes in double pads every 3 hrs! The tablets are wonderful and am very happy. Reduction in blood flow by 70%. No side effects. Have tried it for 1 cycle and plan to continue.”

Anonymous November 15, 2010

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I have used Lysteda 2x now with great success. It has slowed down and then stopped my menstrual cycle within 4 doses. I am a bit concerned that one of the possible side effects could be blood clots. I personally have not had any. However, because I am an RN, I have realized that the side effects of this drug could be scary if not used EXACTLY as the doctor has prescribed and at the time intervals prescribed. I have had headaches each time that I have used it but I also suffer from migraine headaches. For me, the headaches are a worth the benefit that Lysteda provides. Just make sure that the directions for use are followed completely and report any odd/new symptoms to your doctor.”

Anonymous October 16, 2010

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “This is the first month I have used Lysteda. It has significantly helped because before this medicine, I was not able to function during my cycle. There has been improvement of at least 50% if not more. I am amazed with this product. I would highly recommend this for anyone with problems with their menstrual cycle.”

Lb · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

“I'm premenopausal, and have had heavier and heavier periods for the past 2 years. It finally got difficult to do too much, as my bleeding got heavier, and the length of my period was getting longer. My Doctor prescribed Tranexamic Acid, and it has definitely worked. I've had no ill side effects.”

Renaelee · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2016

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I have only been taking this medication for 3 days but I can tell the difference already. After having a tubes tied I started experience even heavier periods than I did before. I've always had heavy periods but they got worse after my tubes were tied, I would wear tampons and overnight pads. Last night was the first night in over a year and a half that I did not wear a pad to sleep and it was marvelous especially since j hate pads anyway. Keep you up dated with progress like I said this is just day 3.”

LolaKnowles February 4, 2012

Lysteda (tranexamic acid): “I am in my mid 40's and had been dealing with heavy periods for the last 10 years. I have had a hysteroscopy (not hysterectomy), tried every kind of birth control and most recently, endometrial ablation and nothing had worked. I was not willing to get a hysterectomy without trying all my other alternatives. I found Lysteda on the internet and asked my Doctor to let me try this. Lysteda has been a life saver for me! I gave it a 9 out of 10 though because I have had serious dizzy spells and I am attributing this to the medication. But it seems to be the only side effect I have. ”

Learn more about Menorrhagia