User Reviews for Bactrim

Learn more about Bactrim.

Bactrim Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 406 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Bactrim to treat Acne

"It's the silver bullet! Well, for me at least. I can only add my highest recommendation for Bactrim to treat my cystic acne, the kind that produces cysts around 2-3 cm in diameter all over my body and face. I've been on Accutane and every other antibiotic there is, but the Bactrim has saved me. It is hard on your digestive system, and I still haven't come up with a good solution for that yet, but I can certainly live with it if it means no more painful cysts which need to be cut out and operated on medically (no fun at all). I've always had cystic acne, but the Bactrim seems to kill the bacteria that produce the cysts, so as long as it keeps working I'm happy."

Tulloch (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bactrim has been very effective for me, and I've taken it on and off for seven years. I have had no serious side effects (at least none which manifested as of now), and the Bactrim does a good job of controlling my acne. Side effects are a big deal in acne medication (Accutane dried my skin and tetracycline caused ear ringing). While I occasionally get a breakout while on Bactrim, the severity and frequency of the acne has decreased. On a side note, I've found my acne is most well behaved with a low or no dairy diet."

AcneSuffererinTX (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay, so I had suffered with Acne ever since I hit puberty.. I was a 'pizza' face, so to say.. I had tried multiple things and thousands of dollars to try and get rid of my acne... Eventually though, I found out I had PCOS, so yay! Hormonal Acne. ._. Anywaaays, My dermatologist prescribed me Bactrim along with Spironolactone. Within a week, I had a completely clear face. No acne at all... But unfortunately, after 3-4 week I found out I I was apart of the unlucky few who ended up being allergic to it. So sad. If I could ever take it again, I would in a heart beat. But It has been about 6 months since I've been on Bactrim and I am still pretty much clear with very few breakouts."

Idkwhattonamemyself February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Never had a whole lot of acne through high school until I jumped on steroids (deca/sustanon) I got moderate-severe cystic acne after about 6 weeks and had it for about 3-4 months and finally got put on bactrim DS. It did wonders went through 3 bottles and was back to normal I kept the 4th bottle for precautionary reasons no acne came back"

Kaleb13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Many of us opt for cosmetics and other products to get rid of acne residues. There are many home remedies which have proven their effects on lightening these skin marks. Tomato and Lemon Juice: Take a %u201Cfresh tomato%u201D and make its paste. Mix it well with one tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply the paste on face for around 20 minutes and rinse it off gently with water after 20 minutes. Pulp of Aloe Vera: Let the pulp from Aloe Vera dry for 5 minutes in sun. Add 6-8 drops of lemon juice to it and apply on the affected area and face for 15 minutes. Onions: Cut the onion into small pieces. Grind those pieces and separate the juice from the residue. "

AbrarAhmad (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bactrim ds works for me. I had cystic acne all over my face and body it was so scary .I only work and stayed in the house but as soon as I stop taking this medicine I got acne back all on my face."

Cassandrap September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before trying Bactrim, I had attempted a number of treatments. The last I had tried before it was Accutane, which I took for 5 months and which benefited me only for a short while. After my acne returned, my dermatologist suggested I try something different, and gave me a prescription for Bactrim. I was so happy as I didn't break out when I started it and it had cleared the acne from my face for an entire year. This month however the acne returned and it couldn't have done so at a worse time - I have planned a 2 month trip to South America with a group of friends. I can no longer rely on Bactrim and will need to find an alternative (I feel like I've tried every 'solution' there is)."

Jack Smithers August 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried nearly every antibiotic (doxy, mino, ampicillin, etc) for acne prescribed by 3 dermatologists over 5 years. The only one that worked was doxycycline, which stopped working after 4 months. Then I tried bactrim which cleared my moderate-severe teenage acne gradually (and noticeably) over 1.5 months. Deffinetly the most effective one out there besides accutane."

Dylanyan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was struggling with really bad cystic hormonal acne and frequent white heads. I looked horrible and felt depressed inside. I couldn't look anyone in the eyes. Acne has really sunked my self esteem. When I was on this for a week.. let me just say.. This works!! (For me) I tried everything there is.. Proactiv, antibiotics, eating better, going to a naturalist. This pill, in 2-3months, cleared my acne. It was like a miracle. I'm so thankful for it and it only costs me $8. It saved my life basically!!"

Xellie July 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication DID work, but unfortunately after only one week i was one of the unlucky few who found out they were allergic. I broke out in a rash ALL OVER my body. I stopped immediately. It sucks cause it was making my skin kinda glowy. But its not worth it if your allergic. If your not, then it would probably be perfect."

HavenHolllows June 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I could tell it was working within 24 hours of taking it. Just be sure to eat with every dose, it's hard on the stomach!"

Laynepecv April 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried almost every topical an acne sufferer can get from drug stores, from natural to other kinds of drugs for acne, but none ever worked. My acne is moderate to severe type of acne. I am not saying that this medicine will work for you same way it does for me, but you should consider it when you talk to your Doctor. I've been taking this medicine for over a year now and I can't be any more clearer. I used to get tiny whiteheads all over my face, like when I try to pinch my skin, you can squeeze them out like small pieces of oil that became oxidized and yellow. Before I got this medicine, almost every day of my life I'd have to deal with new bumps just after one healed. My face is scarred, but this is the best one I have tried ever."

Leonardel February 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Didn't do anything for me. I still have severe acne like always. It's been 2 years but no fix. Tried doxycycline, minocycline and this. None of them ever worked. I also have super oily skin and this medicine doesn't fix that. It only kills the bacteria, which in my case is not a big problem. Oily skin is giving me acne. Plus I was applying erythromycin 2% on face. Nothing happened. Took it for a month. Finally going on Accutane soon. It was the last resort for me."

Omairali December 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"During college, as an athlete, I experienced a surprise acne issue. But it was relentless in college, never anything serious, but enough to frustrate me. I was prescribed bactrim my junior year and had unbelievable results. It cleared within weeks and if by chance, I ever broke out, the break outs were so minimal and healed so quick. I stayed on it for about a year and then came off of it because I had no more problems. My face stayed pretty good, here and there during the time of the month, but that was it. I just went back on it,a year and a half later, due to frustrating break outs around my chin. Again, nothing serious but I know that Bactrim works so why not! 2 weeks later, clear skin!! TRY IT"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 20 years old and have been taking Bactrim since I was 14. Originally I started with a twice daily dose but have since decreased to half a pill every other day. It is not a perfect fix, as I still have to be attentive and wash my face twice a day and occasionally use an acne cream, but otherwise it works quite well. Before starting Bactrim I had moderate but painful acne, and I now only get small infrequent pimples. I am now a pharmacy student and thought I should warn people that extended use of any drug is dangerous. Also, Bactrim is NOT an antibiotic but is a synthetic sulfa drug meaning it is made from chemicals. Some people are severely allergic to sulfa drugs and should be cautious and talk to their doctor before taking this drug"

Aesthera October 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While using Bactrim my acne cleared up very well and I was very happy. Unfortunately after a month I found out I was allergic to sulfa so I can't take it anymore. Sucks because it was the first thing I took that actually worked! Just my luck."

Natalie j September 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had cystic acne on/off for four years. It would come and go where my skin would be horrible my acne and cysts all over then clear up for a few months. I had a bad breakout and took Doryx which made my acne worse. I switched to bactrim and within 1 month, my breakouts stopped and my larger cysts were going down. About 3 months later, I'm off and my skin has remained clear (minus very small pimples here and there)."

MariaLeeee August 18, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 34 year mother of 7. I had perfectly clear skin other than an occasional around my time of the month. Until about 25 yrs. old around the birth of my 3rd child. I started experiencing terrible acne all over. On my upper and lower back, my chest, my face, I have white heads, black heads, deep painful cystic acne. Complete MISERY & JUDGEMENT. I have always had VERY oily skin since puberty.I have tried everything you can imagine...every lotion,potion, cream, wash, mask, scrub, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar. I was on doxy-cycline for a year w/ no results. I am on Bactrim for a sinus infection and have my fingers crossed it will work for my acne as well. If so I'll ask for a script. Anyone recommend a good product pimple or two"

Tasha Louise July 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had acne forever, went through accutane which cleared it up for a good 2 years and the acne came back. Went back to the dermatologist and was prescribed bactrim. It didn't start working till a few weeks in but after that, I started noticing my face getting clearer. Unfortunately, taking bactrim for a long time isn't good for you for a long time so here I am starting back at square one, but it was the best few months I've in a while."

Filthydelphia July 11, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bactrim is absolutely amazing for acne.. I had seen 4 different dermatologists by the time I was 17. My face acne has been considered mild, but my acne on my back and chest is moderate to severe. They tried many oral and topical medications, creams/gels on me. Nothing worked. Then finally the last dermatologist I found, he prescribed me to Bactrim 160/800. I can't remember how long I was on it the first time before it kicked in and started working, but I was on it for 2-3 years with absolutely perfect skin. I recently got pregnant and had to stop taking it. My acne slowly came back. Now, I had my son a month ago. My acne is back and is awful. I was able to get prescribed Bactrim again 2 weeks ago (apparently it's safe while nursing). I'm still anxiously waiting for it to kick in.. But I have hope, and know it will. I highly recommend!!"

Youngeblondemommy July 3, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 18 years old and have had terrible acne for almost five years. I tried every possible thing before being put on Bactrim. I have been on this medicine for a little less than a year. After trying every other medicine my primary doctor could prescribe she gave me this and it worked so well. I've never had a problem with side effects. I highly recommend this medicine if you haven't had luck finding a solution to getting rid of your acne."

BreannaS July 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Whatever you do, DO NOT TAKE THIS! I would not recommend this for acne. 4 weeks into the treatment I was sent to the hospital, with a very bad fever it became hard to breathe. A couple days after I came home from the hospital My whole body felt like pins and needles on the inside and itchy on the out! :( most horrible thing I've went through. honestly accutane was less of a pain than this. I'd take dry lips to pins and needles any day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day."

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication did work for me but I was on it for about 3-4 months before my skin actually cleared up. Don't give up hope if you see no change in the first couple of months. I went from having moderate, hormonal acne mostly around the chin and jaw (but also would appear on other parts of the face) to having a perfectly clear and glowing complexion. I am also taking the OCP (and had been on it prior to starting on Bactrim)"

Cleared89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking bactrim about 3 weeks ago. It cleared alot of my acne in the first and second week but i started to break out in the third week. Yesterday I noticed a bump on my neck just below the ear. Turns out its a swollen lymphnode and its the size of a golf ball. That same day I got a severe headache and today my neck is extremely stiff so I'm going to the ER in the morning. Bottom line is don't take it, the side effects probably aren't worth it just get a hold of accutane."

Chris7438 (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2015