User Reviews for Bactrim to treat Acne

Bactrim has an average rating of 8.7 out of 10 from a total of 89 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 85% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Bactrim Rating Summary

8.7/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Bactrim

Hartmaa September 30, 2020

“I’ve been on Bactrim DS for 7 years. I’ll always stay on it, and I’ve had zero side effects. Just 75-95% clearer skin depending upon time of month. My blood work is perfect, I’m extremely fit, so there’s no reason you can’t stay on it for extended periods if it is a serious problem for you and you tolerate it well. I’d rather lose 5 years of life than go back to how I was. I get a special long term prescription and my life has been handed back to me after 15 years of Accutane, tetracyclines, and mycins. Nothing works like this. I’m not on birth control. It gives me the worst acne. This is what’s right for me. 10/10”

Amy100987 August 23, 2014

“I love this. It is the ONLY thing that has ever cleared up my acne (face and body) completely. I've tried Proactiv, Retin-A, salicyclic acid products, benzoyl peroxide products, the sun, avoiding the sun, only skin-healthy foods, enough sleep, etc., etc. and nothing works long term consistently. Life is just miserable when you have to show a pimply face- you are perceived as ugly and not clean. I'll take the risks of too much antibiotic use over being treated poorly for my appearance.”

Kay May 3, 2020

“I have been on Bactrim Rx for about three weeks now and I already see a DRAMATIC improvement in my skin. All my cystic bumps are gone, haven’t had any active breakouts since the day I started it. My skin feels smooth and looks alive and glowing. My only problem was that it made me very nauseous (as most antibiotics do for me) so I would have to take it after I full meal. But I highly recommend talking to your dermatologist about this medication if you are tired of suffering and being depressed about your skin. It’ll be 100% worth it!”

Sunny June 15, 2020

“I hope this helps for anyone who is wanting to take Bactrim I got prescribed this by my dermatologist about a year and a half ago and it’s worked wonders! Everyone’s bodies react different to medications, but from my experience I can honestly say that It’s cleared up my acne completely and I had no side affects what so ever.”

Kash04 September 7, 2014

“I'm 27 & struggle with hormonal cystic acne. I have been on this medication for about 3 months now. Prior to Bactrim, I was taking minocycline. Minocycline worked great but I developed a resistance to it in July 2013. From July 2013 I tried doxycycline, then erythromycin. I struggled trying to find a solution with my Kaiser dermatologist until I went to another dermatologist in June 2014. June 2014, I tried Bactrim & it started clearing up my skin 3 days after using it. I was prescribed to take 1 pill twice daily. I take 1 in the morning & 1 at night. This medicine has saved me from depression, feeling dirty & ugly. I hope I don't develop a resistance to it. My skin is completely clear.”

myboys14 February 28, 2014

“I am 41 years old and have struggled all my life with acne. Having done Roaccutane, Minocycline and every other medication and topical ointment. At 41 I was over acne. This is a miracle medicine. Skin cleared up in about 7 days and is absolutely flawless. Can't speak highly enough of this medicine. I am acne free for the first time in my life. Ask your doctor about this.”

EJay July 11, 2013

“I'm 25 years old and still get those under the skin cystic pimples on my face. It is mild but one or two of those monsters just stand out. I've tried Retin-A, every single face wash I can think of, oil free moisturizers, toners, oil free make up. I mean I've done it even the DIY remedy for acne. Well, the dermatologist put me on Bactrim and I have been on it now for about 4 weeks and my face is CLEAR. I mean I've NEVER seen it this clear! I'm just looking at the mirror all the time because I cannot believe it. Very happy with results. He said I would have to be on them for a while. But I'm okay with it. It does cause a little nausea but it's nothing I can't handle and it doesn't last too long. Overall very happy.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

“I have been on Bactrim for a month now when nothing could clear up my acne I tried everything all the topicals and all the different antibiotics that are acne specific and nothing seemed to even touch my acne. So my dermatologist put me on this bactrim and it worked. In the months time my skin is cleared up and if I do have a zit occasionally it comes to head super quick and heals quickly. My back and chest had tiny little zits over it and now it’s nothing but smooth skin. Even my husband has said he notices that this is actually working. I didn’t really have any of the side effects a little nausea and thirst the first week but that was it, after that nothing.”

Jmichelle September 7, 2013

“I am 52 with hormonal acne. My cysts were terrible. Did a number on my confidence. I have been on Bactrim for over a year for the cysts and finally something is working. I tried every other medicine with no results. Not sure how long I can be on this but I never want to stop. Afraid if I stop, the cysts will return.”

Anonymous July 11, 2014

“If you just started this medicine I know you're probably feeling bad about you acne. BUT LISTEN Bactrim works from the inside out and if you breakout in the first few weeks that's fine stick with it because soon your skin will be clear and Bactrim will help stop breakouts from ever happening in the first place soon! Cleared my hormonal acne. I rarely get a pimple and I had moderate to server acne and it was a life saver! Your acne will be cleared in just a few months. I suggest using a topical gel as well. Hang in there it helped me during a rough time in just 3 1/2 months I had a clear face, just a few acne marks on my cheeks only thing that stinks is I'm scared to go off the antibiotic and have a repulse of acne. But I suggest this!”

KMC · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 8, 2019

“I have had severe acne since I was 10 (I’m 35 now). I have very oily skin, & get cystic acne usually around the time of my period. I also have blackheads & small breakouts occasionally. I’ve tried every Rx out there, including Accutane once in my 20’s & again in my 30’s. It’s very effective but unfortunately it’s not a complete cure for me. When my cystic acne flares up I use Bactrim and it’s amazing!! It clears my skin right up. It does have a very drying effect (which is fine since I’m so oily!) but it makes my lips chapped too. I only use it for 7-10 days a month. If I use it longer than that my lips start to peel & crack. So I take a break & use it at the first sign of trouble. It’s worth noting that I’ve tried doxycycline & minocycline with no results besides an upset stomach. So if you are considering taking Bactrim, do it! I use it with Retin-A.”

MsMoxie · Taken for 10 years or more November 12, 2019

“My face broke out with acne at age 15 and tetracycline worked great for years, I stopped taking it around age 19. Things were fine until I reached age 25 or so and then I started breaking out again. This time around tetracycline did nothing, tried minocycline along with a few other antibiotics and they did not work either. I was on Accutane for about 6 months and that worked while I was taking it but not so much after I stopped. Finally my dermatologist put me on Bactrim and that worked like magic! My face and back have been clear ever since. I have taken Bactrim for 10 years... now that I’m close to 50, I finally don’t need to take anything!”

AcneKiller · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2014

“I started taking this a few weeks ago and my acne is almost 100% gone. My skin feels very soft and smooth as well. It is definitely worth a try. I was on Monocycline before for about a year and my acne began to relapse. Once I started on Bactrim my skin was clear again but I am scared of relapsing since it is still an antibiotic. Drink lots of water as well because you constantly feel dehydrated.”

Anonymous78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2013

“I cannot believe how amazing this medicine has been for my cystic acne. I have tried monocycline, doxycycline, prescription topical creams, NOTHING worked. I finally decided to ask my doctor about Bactrim. I have been completely cyst free since October. This is a record amount of time for me to have NO cysts! I have had, maybe three pimples. I've had no side effects. The monocycline gave me horrible joint aches (to the point where I'd almost cry they hurt so bad). So far I have had absolutely NO side effects. It's wonderful!”

Aesthera October 16, 2015

“I am 20 years old and have been taking Bactrim since I was 14. Originally I started with a twice daily dose but have since decreased to half a pill every other day. It is not a perfect fix, as I still have to be attentive and wash my face twice a day and occasionally use an acne cream, but otherwise it works quite well. Before starting Bactrim I had moderate but painful acne, and I now only get small infrequent pimples. I am now a pharmacy student and thought I should warn people that extended use of any drug is dangerous. Also, Bactrim is NOT an antibiotic but is a synthetic sulfa drug meaning it is made from chemicals. Some people are severely allergic to sulfa drugs and should be cautious and talk to their doctor before taking this drug”

Leesh · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2020

“This definitely works! It took about six months to clear my face. I have cystic acne and it never was to bad but I tried proactive and it made my face really breakout. I was really embarrassed to go anywhere. My doctor had me try bactrim. I just hate having a really dry throat. I stopped for awhile but decided to try it again since I’m stressed and my chin area started to breakout again. For those of you stopping it after a few weeks or months and saying doesn’t work you didn’t give bactrim a real chance to clear your skin. I use clearasil pads and bactrim. They work wonders. I have light scars on my face but bactrim made me feel pretty again!”

AL · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

“I tried minocycline first and found out I was allergic (broke out in red rash all over my neck and chest), and then my doctor prescribed me the bactrim. This has been a great for me so far. I have really bad cystic acne and scarring and this has cleared it up so much in just a matter of a few weeks with no harsh side effects! Would recommend talking to your doctor about this for acne.”

TJRrrrrr May 20, 2015

“I am a 24 year old male and have semi oil skin. Never had acne until after high school around 20 years old so I guess you can call it adult acne. Anyway, I was dealing with cystic acne on my chin, cheeks, jawline and even some times on my nose. It was considered mild-moderate but still very uncomfortable coming from 20 years of a completely clear face. I would have anywhere from 6-8 decently sized cysts on my face at any given time. For almost 5 years I tried everything all sorts of washes and crap I read online which none worked. Finally went to a derm 3 months ago and got Bactrim 800-160 within a week my acne cleared and has been 99.9% gone ever since taking it twice a day every day.”

Catherine · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2020

“I took Bactrim for my cystic acne for the first time a few days ago. Took my first dose a few hour before bed, and started to notice my tongue and mouth going numb. I took 2 Benadryl to sooth the symptoms. The next morning I called both my pharmacist and doctor, and told me that it was definitely an allergic reaction. Fast forward a few days later, my mouth has the same symptoms as if I burned my mouth on something scolding hot! My tongue has an entire layer “burned” off, as well as my inner left cheek, with blisters inside of my mouth. Needless to say I’m definitely allergic to this medication. They then prescribed my minocycline, but I’m very afraid to even attempt to try it after this experience!”

Marianneplus4 March 18, 2015

“Im a 32 year old working mom of 4, who has dealt with acne for 14 years...extremely long story short. TRY IT, IT WORKS! Bactrim changed my life and gave me back my confidence. I feel good in my own skin now.”

Ben Jammin October 15, 2013

“I have been taking Bactrim for about a year and a half now. Prior to Bactrim I took everything else. I've had acne since I was roughly 15 and am now 23. Everything I took either left me feeling crappy, or didn't work. In my experience taking Bactrim the first 2-3 months my face breaks out horribly. Then at some time in that period it just goes away. It is absolutely the best acne medication I've ever taken! I have taken it twice.”

Anonymous February 12, 2015

“Thank goodness I am not allergic to sulfa! This medication worked like a charm on my roseasa hormonal cystic acne on my chin. I am 48 years old and it took me way too long to discover this miracle! Coupled with clindamyicin my face was clear within days!”

yup · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 18, 2018

“Bactrim is a miracle. No Joke. I have suffered from acne since puberty and doctors put me on topicals and all the "cyclins" even birth control didn't work. The dermatologist was about to put me on accutane, which I really didn't want to do, so I went to another dermatologist who prescribed me Bactrim. Within two weeks on Bactrim, I was clear and my skin was glowing and soft.”

Sadnessacne · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2020

“I promised that after I tried this I would share my experience. Yes it works for acne. Yes there is a terriable breakouting period. The breaking out lasts about 3 months I would say. Then you’ve got clear skin. The thing is that once you get off the pill your acne comes back full throttle. What my dermatologist forgot to point out was that you can not stay on this pill forever. It’s dangerous and very unhealthy. So basically I signed myself up for 4 months of clear skin to be met with even worse acne at the gate. I don’t recommend anyone to take this. It gave me false hope and knowing the struggles of acne I hope that know one has to go through this. Best of luck to everyone.”

Stephbactrimuser December 16, 2014

“I am a 40 something women with moderate hormonal acne. Did one round of Accutane with good results-but acne returned. Tried every other medicine and cream with no luck. Finally tried Bactrim and saw results in 2 DAYS! Been on it a week and have results better than Accutane. ”

Learn more about Acne