User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Migraine

Summary of Rizatriptan reviews 9.0 219 reviews

Reviews for Rizatriptan

For Migraine: "I've suffered from debilitating migraines for a while now and Maxalt has definitely helped me. I find that the earlier I take it, the quicker it is in ridding of my migraine. I've found that it makes me woozy and dizzy, and later on I feel cold sensations and nausea (not accompanied with actual vomiting), but I'll pay any price to rid of a migraine. Excellent medication, a true wonder drug!"

Moonlet January 11, 2018

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had great results with Maxalt. The problem is now a generic form of Maxalt came out and It just doesn't work as good as the real Maxalt. I have to take 3 times as much and just get minimal response from the generic medication. I might as well just ride out the migraine that normally doesn't last more than 24 hrs and not have to worry about the possible side effects of the drug. The real Maxalt is worth any side effect it might come with. I would rather suffer a heart attack than have a migraine any day. You just have to be lucky enough to have a Dr that will tell the insurance company you need the real stuff."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I have used MAXALT for about 8 years and it is a life changer - generally 45 minutes and it lifts after sometimes crippling migraines from the age of 6. Occasionally I need a second but would never take more than 2 in 24 hours as directed by my doctor. Fairly minimal side effects but an extra positive is that it appears to clear my sinuses too!! I thought I was imagining it but I then found some research that confirmed this"

MWIA (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2018

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "Maxalt work great for my migraines. Also I had trouble swallowing and the Maxalt dissolves on tongue which is great for me. My pharmacist had to try and find another company that makes pills that would dissolve on the tongue. My insurance stopped paying for the Maxalt and I could not afford to buy them"

Gigigirl January 4, 2018

For Migraine: "I get 90 of these pills a month. They are freaking expensive but take away the pain!"

Lukester (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2017

For Migraine: "If taken at first sign of migraine this medication works fast & without any stomach upset, drowsiness etc , or nasty rebound headaches as other migraine medications I have used did . I can take this at work or out anywhere and not worry .Very very rarely I have to take a second one, and that is when I haven't taken the first pill immediately at migraine onset .A true "lifesaver" for me !"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 20, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I've had migraines for over 40 years. As a teenager they were hormonal only. I didn't have any while pregnant! Afterwards they came back and are now weather pressure, hormonal + allergy related. I have to go rest if I need a Maxalt 10mg due to side effects. Maxalt 5mg allow me to continue to work but I don't feel I could drive as eyesight and reactions are impaired. I have found if you need a 2nd Maxalt, thats ok but a 3rd will increase the migraine like taking too many pain meds. If you do this, you need to regulate yourself back to no meds to get the migraine to go."

Bev, Acton, ON (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2017

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "Maxalt saved my life! It is the only medicine that works for me when have a migraine attack, I swear by it and carry it with me always just in case. It literally gave me back my life, I was ill for days that ran into weeks that went into months. It was shocking, I felt suicidal with having no life and one day was sitting in my doctors room sobbing begging him to help me, and he prescribed me rizatriptan (maxalt). I love it!!"

Nadz17 November 9, 2017

For Migraine: "I take Rizatriptan in conjunction with ever-changing migraine prevention meds. It makes my sinuses feel drained and parched, makes me woozy and slow in the brain, and tastes absolutely terrible. But? If I take it at just the right time in the onset of a migraine, it is usually able to knock it out within an hour or two. If it doesn't--if I'm too late to take it--it can't kill the migraine, but it does dull it enough that I can usually continue functioning. Acts faster for me than Sumatriptan did. Only giving it an 8 because you do have to take it at just the right time, and you can only take 2 in a day. I sometimes get the back-to-back migraines and am helpless to fight the 2nd one."

Squirrelyone (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "99% of the time my migraine symptoms fade within an hour. I have had to take a second tablet only twice in ten years. I can function as normal. The only drawback is feeling tired and increased urination, but compared to going through a 36 hour migraine, that's nothing!"

JannaP (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2017

For Migraine: "Miracle drug for me! Migraine gone within the hour of taking Maxalt. It made me groggy but I will take that over hours of pain"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "My first time taking it. I have complex partial seizures and my aura has changed to where I now have migraine headaches afterwards. We are doing test to rule out other problems but this medicine helped me more than anything so far. Still have that groggy feeling afterwards but I can deal with that. Just do not know how I can take it should I have to at work since I work in a call center 10 hours a day with constant calls."

Jenna B (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I suffered from severe migraines for years and all the side effects that go with them. Nothing so much even eased the symptoms off even a little. Then in 2000 my doctor prescribed Maxalt. I placed the dissolving tablet under my tongue and in less than 15 minutes my symptoms started fading, in less than 30 minutes they were gone completely! Truly a miracle drug that I could not live without. If you haven't tried it, it's time to talk to your doctor."

DEBORAHSHARON (taken for 10 years or more) October 15, 2017

For Migraine: "Took this for the first time last night. Worked as well as Relpax (which my insurance no longer covers). I could actually get a good night's sleep!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I have used maxalt four times in the last three months. The first time it worked fine and it was gone in a few hours but had heart racing. The second migraine I was concerned about the side effects but gave a second chance. I had severe throbbing in my head like it was going to explode and then suddenly the migraine broke. My third attempt my migraine was so severe that I had to take a second dose for relief! I find that if I take it on the onset it works but still light headache and felt numbing sensation. My fourth today no relief after 2nd dose. Took 3rd after 4 hours but still feeling migraine. Had slight heart racing and throbbing pain. I may continue to see if this is right meds. If not, then I think there's no hope for me!"

Rose B September 6, 2017

For Migraine: "Puts me in nice restful deep sleep (normal 7hr night), walk up in morning migraine gone, with no hangover feeling that you would normally get if went to ER for a shot."

Puts you to sleep (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraines since my teenage years and am currently 49 years old. I sometimes go for long periods of time with no migraines, but then I can have migraine and accompanying neck pain that goes on for 2 days or more. I've been on Fiorinal, then Fioricet, and just recently, Maxalt. Recently, I asked my Dr about having a different medication that would be legal to take to Europe, as Fioricet is banned in at least some, if not all, countries in Europe. Since another Dr had previously tried prescribing Maxalt, he had me try this. It WORKS. I find it works better and faster than other meds, and I don't feel woozy when taking it. Tricare allows 18 pills per 45 day period before another refill."

AZ-Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "I was prescribed this medication because I was experiencing severe migraines multiple times a month. After taking the medication, I usually have to take another pill an hour later and my headache symptoms will go away. It makes me very sleepy and gives me slight chest pain that feels like heartburn. If I don't rest right after taking it, the headache still goes away but I get severe nausea, dizziness, and tightness in my chest. The side effects eventually go away, but they are awful while they are occurring. The trade off of headache and side effects doesn't seem really worth it to me, but that's just my opinion."

lyd12jub July 20, 2017

For Migraine: "I have had migraines since I was a teenager (I'm now 42.) After trying almost everything, including OTC meds and other tryptans that didn't work, I am so glad my Dr gave me Maxalt .It works every time. Very rarely I need a second dose, but I know it will always work.This drug has saved me from calling in sick to work on many occasions, and I can even take it at work if I need it, as I don't experience any side effects from it. My only complaint is the expense. Even with insurance and using generic, my copay is still $31 for only 12 pills that are supposed to last me a month.If I refill the prescription before that month ,the copay goes up to $50. Sometimes I will get 3 or 4 migraines a week, so 12 pills is just not enough.This is a great drug though."

SJB74 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2017

For Migraine: "I'm 23 and after trying every OTC medicine and seeing 3 doctors who told me to just drink more water, I finally got prescribed this medication. I felt one of my migraines coming on and decided to give it a try. 40 minutes went by and I realized my symptoms had completely vanished! I can't believe it, I'm just plain shocked. I didn't get any bad side effects and I'm just so happy I don't have to miss out on things or be a grump because of migraines!"

vibrantvalley17 June 28, 2017

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "Maxalt MLT has been the best Migraine medicine for me for almost 30 years and took it during Six pregnancies without any complications. I am only sorry Insurance will allow 9 a month :..("

Crwofter1 (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2017

For Migraine: "I call this my "miracle drug". I had been suffering from constant migraines since I was 9 years old. I am now 64. They used to tell my parents I was "high-strung" and had "tension headaches". I was never diagnosed with migraine until I was about 48 years old. This is the ONLY drug that has ever stopped my migraine (of course...you have to take it immediately at the onset, as with all migraine meds). I had lost so many days of my life to the extreme pain/nausea and impaired vision/speech/general functionality before I discovered rizatriptan. Quite literally, I thank God for leading someone to develop this and for someone prescribing it for me."

Muse33 June 22, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "For me Maxalt is a miracle drug. I have tried almost everything OTC, and nothing worked. Excedrin worked for awhile, then after a few weeks, it stopped working. I can always count on Maxalt to get rid of my migraines. I usually feel relief within an hour of taking it. That being said ,this drug is very expensive. Even with insurance and taking the generic version, I am still out of pocket about $50 a box, and they only give you 12 pills. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 migraines in a week, so this can get really expensive. It works wonders for me though, so unfortunately it's a necessary expense."

Cg74 June 22, 2017

For Migraine: "43 yo female migraines since 2nd grade. Some are with aura most are without. I get pain in my Left scapula that eventually radiates into the base of my skull through to my Left eye. If taken right away, I get almost total relief in 20-40 minutes. If I wait longer, it may take over an hour to work. Works over 90 percent of the time averaging 12 headaches per month. Side effects for me are a tightening sensation in my neck (where the arteries are on either side) then a "floaty" sensation. The pain goes away and I'm left tired, yawning frequently and a little fuzzy minded, but able to function much better than with the migraine. I've tried imitrex, zomig, midrin, and rx pain relievers. Maxalt has worked by far the best for me."

Msmitymite June 10, 2017

Maxalt (rizatriptan) for Migraine: "Must take within 20 minutes of onset. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to work. Keep it in your pocket/wallet at all times. For me, it is a lifesaver."

MiamiMan (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2017