User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 127 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

"43 yo female migraines since 2nd grade. Some are with aura most are without. I get pain in my Left scapula that eventually radiates into the base of my skull through to my Left eye. If taken right away, I get almost total relief in 20-40 minutes. If I wait longer, it may take over an hour to work. Works over 90 percent of the time averaging 12 headaches per month. Side effects for me are a tightening sensation in my neck (where the arteries are on either side) then a "floaty" sensation. The pain goes away and I'm left tired, yawning frequently and a little fuzzy minded, but able to function much better than with the migraine. I've tried imitrex, zomig, midrin, and rx pain relievers. Maxalt has worked by far the best for me."

Msmitymite June 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Must take within 20 minutes of onset. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to work. Keep it in your pocket/wallet at all times. For me, it is a lifesaver."

MiamiMan (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only drug that has helped me. If I take it right at the beginning of a headache, 90% of the time it wipes out the pain in an hour."

Bexxy (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I am a 35yo female and had my first migraine at 16yo just after giving birth to my firstborn. Over the years, particularly after each baby, the symptoms have become worse and are always experienced during menstruation. Recently codeine products that would normally help are not even touching the sides of the pain, and I have been experiencing increasing levels of sickness that anti-nausea tablets don't have any impact on. But yesterday a friend gave me a maxalt wafer because I couldn't function under the intensity of the sickness and pain. At first it didn't seem to do anything. But after maybe an hour to 90 minutes and I was no longer sick, nor was I in pain!! It was like a miracle!! How ever vision was slightly more blurred than usual."

Lilmisspeace March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried before some medications for migraine and they were not effective or with extreme side effects but this is ROCK, I love it, my migraine just disappears after taking one of it with 2 glasses of water after 30 minutes."

Mehdi Taba (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am 34 years old and have suffered migraines on and off since I was about 10 years old. This is the first medication that has helped me. It great that it is a wafer and easy to take as vomiting is perhaps what stops other medications from working? Thank you maxalt, I love you!"

tidytiger March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Yesterday was my first time when I took Maxalt-MLT to cure my migraine. My doctor prescribed this drug six months ago but all those months I had no incidence of a migraine. Yesterday was again after my weight lifting workout. I only get migraines after a workout the last years. I always get aura for about 20 minutes before a headache begin. That is good the doctor said because I can take Maxalt faster before the pain begins. My first impression is that the aura lasted about 15 minutes and the pain was bearable in a scale of ten I would say 6.5 compared to other times that reaches 9 -10. The first 10 minutes, I was feeling a little bit weird and little dizzy. After 90 minutes the migraine got away, I think it needs about 90 minutes to act"

Chris_G March 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had chronic migraines for around 12 years. I take 5mg and it usually takes care of my headache. It makes my neck ache a little but the relief from the horrible symptoms of a migraine are well worth it. I've tried other triptans but this one works best. The generic is very inexpensive."

Headache Lady February 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My daily headaches started after a ventricular assist device (VAD). Maxalt has worked beautifully in killing the pain. Occasionally I will wake up with a headache the following day, but not severe enough to warrant another dose. I am careful to avoid triggers so don't have to take this very often. I am grateful that I have this option since I am allergic to NSAIDs."

Lena S February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am a 23 year old male suffering from occasional (about once a month) migraine attacks which are often accompanied with uncontrollable vomiting. My neurologist prescribed me this medicine saying that it is the most advanced one currently available and made specifically for migraines. Unfortunately, after taking the medicine several times during various attacks, It had about as much effect as an Aspirin and it stop the pain or the nausea. My mother, who suffers from more often and severe migraines then I do, got prescribed the same medicine, but it didn't help her either. I ended up switching to Ketoprofen based painkillers which have been most effective for me, but don't work during the worst attacks."

Fran_croatia January 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Have had headaches almost daily for over 4 years. I have been given several different medication. Most not very affective. The pain has completely changed our lives. I was recently put on Maxalt. It is helping more than most. I have been prescribed 10 mg of Maxalt that I can take two a day over a period of 24 hrs. Sometimes I have 3 headaches a day so that limited amount doesn't keep me very functional. Does anyone have suggestions? How is their Maxalt prescribed?"

Suzi Marie Hunter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was a kid. I'm 49 now. In my mid 30s I started taking imitrex and it completely derailed me. I then started trying a bunch of preventative drugs, beta blocker, calcium blockers and ssri drugs. Finally found one that works fairly well, but along with that I use maxalt as a rescue drug which I still take 6+ times a month. It's a good drug and is effective. I have always noticed the migraines redoubles its efforts before leaving after I take it. I also notice it makes me very sleepy and foggy. I don't like to take it at work because of that. 9 times out of 10 it works, but there are still times it does nothing for me. Some is better than none in my world though. I take a generic due to cost."

Hld1967 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Usually the migraine wakes me up at night with the pain beginning at the base of my head. I keep the rizatriptan on my bedside table and I take it immediately. When I wake in the morning the pain is gone. Before I would wake with the pain, and it would linger for days with hardly no relief. I works great for me."

Jackie L. December 12, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have tried a lot of meds with no positive results for migraines. Had to be rushed to the hospital a lot because the pain would paralyze me, some times unable to speak and some times I would pass out. My doctor finally prescribed Rizatriptan Benzoate 10mg and Phenergan 25mg. She told me to take both immediately on the onset of the migraine and it has worked wonders and has changed my life completely. I take both meds with me everywhere I go. As long as I take them immediately and try to get in a vertical position it works pretty quickly."

Finally some relief December 9, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Aside from a slight burning sensation where my migraine is located this drug works wonderfully. Better than any nasal spray or OTC drug I've ever tried."

Milhorn November 25, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "This little wafer gave me life back ! I use to suffer every week ,at least one attack.Not only does this kill the feeling of my brain bursting through my skull but stops the vomiting . Saved my life ,I felt I couldn't continue my life with such a disabilitating condition."

Kris W November 12, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "If taken at the start of a migraine this medicine works wonders . There are side effects such as dry mouth, tiredness, and joint aches. But as anyone who has migraines know that is a small price to pay for relief from the migraine itself."

Devonlee1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Maxalt works for me. It is the only one I've tried so far that does."

Bessiebug November 2, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff is great, it helps get rid of the migraines most of the time. I also take Baclofen daily. I have had migraines for over 30 years and this is the only thing that has helped."

jess1116 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "It is the only med that has helped my migraines!"

T4t September 27, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have a very bad migraine since one year .. And i went through many medication and tried heaps of tablets but non of then work .. And then finally my GP PRESCRIBED me with MAXALT and guess what! As soon as i put it in my tounge i felt the sense of releif and after half n hour my pain is totally gone ...WHAT A GREAT FEELINGS .. Just amazing .."

Dinesh r September 6, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have been getting migrainea since I was 8 years old and nothing seems to help. I started taking Maxalt 10mg for a while now and not effective at all. It feels like I'm taking a sugar pill. Although when I do take it I get very dizzy. Personally I don't recommend it but if it helps for you I say go for it!"

Kath B August 25, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have had migraines since I was 11. When people say they are not hereditary...they are wrong. My grandma, mom, sisters and brothers all have them they did not even skip a generation.. my daughter and nieces as well get them. My physician calls mine sinus migraines. I get stomach pain, vomiting, an aura, light sensitivity. They had me on demerol, Percocet, phenergan, imitrex, nothing helped. I have been on maxalt a few years and the one thing I have noticed is that i get pain around the upper jaw area just under the ear...then all of a sudden like the snap of a finger all pain is gone 15 to 25 min. It makes me drowsey. I wake up from my nap feeling great but real thirsty."

Mmcm1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have vestibular migraines or migrainous vertigo, I don't really suffer with headache pain, my symptoms affect my balance, my hearing and vision. I do take other medication for this (Amitriptyline), my neurologist recommended Maxalt wafers, I take this when I know my migraine is getting worse. I do feel the benefits of Maxalt, and only take Maxalt when necessary as they do make me feel groggy. I'm not a fan of taking medication, but this does help my symptoms."

KrustyOz August 16, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had really bad migraines since I was 30 (now 53). I tried everything! Last medication I was on was Fioricet. It worked most times but not all the time. I also had to lay down when I took it. I have missed so many great events over the years due to migraines. I heard about Maxalt and asked my doctor to prescribe it. My quality of life is amazing. My migraine is gone within 30 minutes every time. I don't have to lay down with it either."

Migraine Free August 9, 2016