User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have used maxalt four times in the last three months. The first time it worked fine and it was gone in a few hours but had heart racing. The second migraine I was concerned about the side effects but gave a second chance. I had severe throbbing in my head like it was going to explode and then suddenly the migraine broke. My third attempt my migraine was so severe that I had to take a second dose for relief! I find that if I take it on the onset it works but still light headache and felt numbing sensation. My fourth today no relief after 2nd dose. Took 3rd after 4 hours but still feeling migraine. Had slight heart racing and throbbing pain. I may continue to see if this is right meds. If not, then I think there's no hope for me!"

Rose B September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Puts me in nice restful deep sleep (normal 7hr night), walk up in morning migraine gone, with no hangover feeling that you would normally get if went to ER for a shot."

Puts you to sleep (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I have had migraines since my teenage years and am currently 49 years old. I sometimes go for long periods of time with no migraines, but then I can have migraine and accompanying neck pain that goes on for 2 days or more. I've been on Fiorinal, then Fioricet, and just recently, Maxalt. Recently, I asked my Dr about having a different medication that would be legal to take to Europe, as Fioricet is banned in at least some, if not all, countries in Europe. Since another Dr had previously tried prescribing Maxalt, he had me try this. It WORKS. I find it works better and faster than other meds, and I don't feel woozy when taking it. Tricare allows 18 pills per 45 day period before another refill."

AZ-Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I was prescribed this medication because I was experiencing severe migraines multiple times a month. After taking the medication, I usually have to take another pill an hour later and my headache symptoms will go away. It makes me very sleepy and gives me slight chest pain that feels like heartburn. If I don't rest right after taking it, the headache still goes away but I get severe nausea, dizziness, and tightness in my chest. The side effects eventually go away, but they are awful while they are occurring. The trade off of headache and side effects doesn't seem really worth it to me, but that's just my opinion."

lyd12jub July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had migraines since I was a teenager (I'm now 42.) After trying almost everything, including OTC meds and other tryptans that didn't work, I am so glad my Dr gave me Maxalt .It works every time. Very rarely I need a second dose, but I know it will always work.This drug has saved me from calling in sick to work on many occasions, and I can even take it at work if I need it, as I don't experience any side effects from it. My only complaint is the expense. Even with insurance and using generic, my copay is still $31 for only 12 pills that are supposed to last me a month.If I refill the prescription before that month ,the copay goes up to $50. Sometimes I will get 3 or 4 migraines a week, so 12 pills is just not enough.This is a great drug though."

SJB74 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 23 and after trying every OTC medicine and seeing 3 doctors who told me to just drink more water, I finally got prescribed this medication. I felt one of my migraines coming on and decided to give it a try. 40 minutes went by and I realized my symptoms had completely vanished! I can't believe it, I'm just plain shocked. I didn't get any bad side effects and I'm just so happy I don't have to miss out on things or be a grump because of migraines!"

vibrantvalley17 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Maxalt MLT has been the best Migraine medicine for me for almost 30 years and took it during Six pregnancies without any complications. I am only sorry Insurance will allow 9 a month :..("

Crwofter1 (taken for 10 years or more) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I call this my "miracle drug". I had been suffering from constant migraines since I was 9 years old. I am now 64. They used to tell my parents I was "high-strung" and had "tension headaches". I was never diagnosed with migraine until I was about 48 years old. This is the ONLY drug that has ever stopped my migraine (of course...you have to take it immediately at the onset, as with all migraine meds). I had lost so many days of my life to the extreme pain/nausea and impaired vision/speech/general functionality before I discovered rizatriptan. Quite literally, I thank God for leading someone to develop this and for someone prescribing it for me."

Muse33 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "For me Maxalt is a miracle drug. I have tried almost everything OTC, and nothing worked. Excedrin worked for awhile, then after a few weeks, it stopped working. I can always count on Maxalt to get rid of my migraines. I usually feel relief within an hour of taking it. That being said ,this drug is very expensive. Even with insurance and taking the generic version, I am still out of pocket about $50 a box, and they only give you 12 pills. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 migraines in a week, so this can get really expensive. It works wonders for me though, so unfortunately it's a necessary expense."

Cg74 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"43 yo female migraines since 2nd grade. Some are with aura most are without. I get pain in my Left scapula that eventually radiates into the base of my skull through to my Left eye. If taken right away, I get almost total relief in 20-40 minutes. If I wait longer, it may take over an hour to work. Works over 90 percent of the time averaging 12 headaches per month. Side effects for me are a tightening sensation in my neck (where the arteries are on either side) then a "floaty" sensation. The pain goes away and I'm left tired, yawning frequently and a little fuzzy minded, but able to function much better than with the migraine. I've tried imitrex, zomig, midrin, and rx pain relievers. Maxalt has worked by far the best for me."

Msmitymite June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Must take within 20 minutes of onset. The longer you wait, the longer it takes to work. Keep it in your pocket/wallet at all times. For me, it is a lifesaver."

MiamiMan (taken for 10 years or more) May 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the only drug that has helped me. If I take it right at the beginning of a headache, 90% of the time it wipes out the pain in an hour."

Bexxy (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I am a 35yo female and had my first migraine at 16yo just after giving birth to my firstborn. Over the years, particularly after each baby, the symptoms have become worse and are always experienced during menstruation. Recently codeine products that would normally help are not even touching the sides of the pain, and I have been experiencing increasing levels of sickness that anti-nausea tablets don't have any impact on. But yesterday a friend gave me a maxalt wafer because I couldn't function under the intensity of the sickness and pain. At first it didn't seem to do anything. But after maybe an hour to 90 minutes and I was no longer sick, nor was I in pain!! It was like a miracle!! How ever vision was slightly more blurred than usual."

Lilmisspeace March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've tried before some medications for migraine and they were not effective or with extreme side effects but this is ROCK, I love it, my migraine just disappears after taking one of it with 2 glasses of water after 30 minutes."

Mehdi Taba (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am 34 years old and have suffered migraines on and off since I was about 10 years old. This is the first medication that has helped me. It great that it is a wafer and easy to take as vomiting is perhaps what stops other medications from working? Thank you maxalt, I love you!"

tidytiger March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Yesterday was my first time when I took Maxalt-MLT to cure my migraine. My doctor prescribed this drug six months ago but all those months I had no incidence of a migraine. Yesterday was again after my weight lifting workout. I only get migraines after a workout the last years. I always get aura for about 20 minutes before a headache begin. That is good the doctor said because I can take Maxalt faster before the pain begins. My first impression is that the aura lasted about 15 minutes and the pain was bearable in a scale of ten I would say 6.5 compared to other times that reaches 9 -10. The first 10 minutes, I was feeling a little bit weird and little dizzy. After 90 minutes the migraine got away, I think it needs about 90 minutes to act"

Chris_G March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had chronic migraines for around 12 years. I take 5mg and it usually takes care of my headache. It makes my neck ache a little but the relief from the horrible symptoms of a migraine are well worth it. I've tried other triptans but this one works best. The generic is very inexpensive."

Headache Lady February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daily headaches started after a ventricular assist device (VAD). Maxalt has worked beautifully in killing the pain. Occasionally I will wake up with a headache the following day, but not severe enough to warrant another dose. I am careful to avoid triggers so don't have to take this very often. I am grateful that I have this option since I am allergic to NSAIDs."

Lena S February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am a 23 year old male suffering from occasional (about once a month) migraine attacks which are often accompanied with uncontrollable vomiting. My neurologist prescribed me this medicine saying that it is the most advanced one currently available and made specifically for migraines. Unfortunately, after taking the medicine several times during various attacks, It had about as much effect as an Aspirin and it stop the pain or the nausea. My mother, who suffers from more often and severe migraines then I do, got prescribed the same medicine, but it didn't help her either. I ended up switching to Ketoprofen based painkillers which have been most effective for me, but don't work during the worst attacks."

Fran_croatia January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Have had headaches almost daily for over 4 years. I have been given several different medication. Most not very affective. The pain has completely changed our lives. I was recently put on Maxalt. It is helping more than most. I have been prescribed 10 mg of Maxalt that I can take two a day over a period of 24 hrs. Sometimes I have 3 headaches a day so that limited amount doesn't keep me very functional. Does anyone have suggestions? How is their Maxalt prescribed?"

Suzi Marie Hunter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was a kid. I'm 49 now. In my mid 30s I started taking imitrex and it completely derailed me. I then started trying a bunch of preventative drugs, beta blocker, calcium blockers and ssri drugs. Finally found one that works fairly well, but along with that I use maxalt as a rescue drug which I still take 6+ times a month. It's a good drug and is effective. I have always noticed the migraines redoubles its efforts before leaving after I take it. I also notice it makes me very sleepy and foggy. I don't like to take it at work because of that. 9 times out of 10 it works, but there are still times it does nothing for me. Some is better than none in my world though. I take a generic due to cost."

Hld1967 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Usually the migraine wakes me up at night with the pain beginning at the base of my head. I keep the rizatriptan on my bedside table and I take it immediately. When I wake in the morning the pain is gone. Before I would wake with the pain, and it would linger for days with hardly no relief. I works great for me."

Jackie L. December 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried a lot of meds with no positive results for migraines. Had to be rushed to the hospital a lot because the pain would paralyze me, some times unable to speak and some times I would pass out. My doctor finally prescribed Rizatriptan Benzoate 10mg and Phenergan 25mg. She told me to take both immediately on the onset of the migraine and it has worked wonders and has changed my life completely. I take both meds with me everywhere I go. As long as I take them immediately and try to get in a vertical position it works pretty quickly."

Finally some relief December 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Aside from a slight burning sensation where my migraine is located this drug works wonderfully. Better than any nasal spray or OTC drug I've ever tried."

Milhorn November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "This little wafer gave me life back ! I use to suffer every week ,at least one attack.Not only does this kill the feeling of my brain bursting through my skull but stops the vomiting . Saved my life ,I felt I couldn't continue my life with such a disabilitating condition."

Kris W November 12, 2016