User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 129 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have been getting migrainea since I was 8 years old and nothing seems to help. I started taking Maxalt 10mg for a while now and not effective at all. It feels like I'm taking a sugar pill. Although when I do take it I get very dizzy. Personally I don't recommend it but if it helps for you I say go for it!"

Kath B August 25, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have had migraines since I was 11. When people say they are not hereditary...they are wrong. My grandma, mom, sisters and brothers all have them they did not even skip a generation.. my daughter and nieces as well get them. My physician calls mine sinus migraines. I get stomach pain, vomiting, an aura, light sensitivity. They had me on demerol, Percocet, phenergan, imitrex, nothing helped. I have been on maxalt a few years and the one thing I have noticed is that i get pain around the upper jaw area just under the ear...then all of a sudden like the snap of a finger all pain is gone 15 to 25 min. It makes me drowsey. I wake up from my nap feeling great but real thirsty."

Mmcm1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had really bad migraines since I was 30 (now 53). I tried everything! Last medication I was on was Fioricet. It worked most times but not all the time. I also had to lay down when I took it. I have missed so many great events over the years due to migraines. I heard about Maxalt and asked my doctor to prescribe it. My quality of life is amazing. My migraine is gone within 30 minutes every time. I don't have to lay down with it either."

Migraine Free August 9, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "My migraines started on April 2 2016, I have had a constant headache since then, with the 13 migraines, after a CT scan in my neck, I have a long which needs to be removed, which could be the root cause for this ongoing headache however finally I was prescribed maxalt today after almost 4 months of suffering headaches and migraines,and taking other pain relief, icing it, quiet rooms, limiting bright light stimulation ,msiisng out on family and friend events and I cannot believe the difference it's made. I don't like taking medications, I try to do things naturally, think this really really helped, and I have so much relief. Kudos to the angel who told me about it from Medicare, while we were trying to sort out my card going missing"

ArisaY July 28, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had ever-worsening migraines since I was in my 40's (I'm now 73). When they started, all that was available were drugs like Fiorinal and other mind-scrambling drugs. Finally, the triptans came along and saved my life. I started with Imitrex and tried the various other triptans, but Maxalt was the most effective. I would like to share one important observation: When I first started taking triptans, I had very few side effects, and was able to function at a high-level job, run home with kids, etc. HOWEVER, as I got older, I realized that side-effects emerged which have only gotten stronger over time. e.g. fogginess, sleepiness, nausea, etc. -- so be aware that side-effects can increase with age. Still, Maxalt is a life-saver."

ImaGima (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2016

"OMG! This stuff is a life changer! I suffer from migraines at least once or twice a week. Makes me feel a little nauseated for a few minutes but within 20 minutes my headache and nausea is gone. Now I have to figure out how to get more then my insurance will allow me to get in a month.... They only allow 9 a month :-/ Way better than Imatrex!"

OSusieQ June 27, 2016

"Migraines since I was 15, now in my 40's. Identified as menstrual migraines in my early 30's after 1st child, up to 5 days of migraines every 26 days. Nothing worked before, but started taking rizatriptan 9 months ago. It works every time, no side effects. I have my life back. Amazing. Recommend making a mentrual and migraine diary before going to the doctor."

siany (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Fantastic drug! Works every time within half an hour. Feel a little strange for around 30 minutes after taking it, but no other side effects. Highly recommend it as it's the only thing that works for my migraines"

GJJ666 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016

"I am 32 and since I was 28 I have been suffering very bad migraines due to damaging my neck and back. I can wake up with a bad migraine and tight sore neck and shoulder muscles. I usually take mersyndol forte but codeine leaves me feeling very tired and nauseated. Visits to the ER were a waste of time. My doc put me on maxalt. I had low expectations as nothing else really worked. I was very pleasantly surprised...finally some relief!! I'm on warfarin so cannot take ibuprofen aspirin etc. I'm so happy to have found something! I wonder why I wasn't prescribed this sooner."

XTINA1984 May 18, 2016

"This did help the intensity of my migraine at the first dose but within an hour the pain is so severe again. Tylonel , Advil, Ibuprofen are no relief my doctors recommend this to me after seeing no possible reasons for my pain. It's been almost 11 years of suffering not sure what my options are now.. Love some feed back on alternative options , the pain is so bad just wells tears in my eyes sounds and lights are too much I can't leave my room. I'm only 24 years old and I want to be able to live my life ,"

Shell0292 May 15, 2016

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "When I was about 23, I started getting horrific migraines out of nowhere that would incapacitate me for days at a time. My neurologist couldn't find anything wrong and I tried several medications (some would take at least 12 hours to have an effect). The only medication that ever successfully treated my migraines was Maxalt and it pretty much gave me my life back. It would still take at least an hour to work but it was really a life changer. Ultimately, I sought an ENT and after I had sinus surgery (and corrected my deviated septum) in 2011, my migraines never returned. But if they ever did come back, I would be running to Maxalt as my savior again!"

Grace S. May 7, 2016

"I use this medication to help my migraines. I used to take Relpax. I quit taking it because it was too expensive and the side effects were strong. I like this medication because my insurance covers most of it and it is very effective with little side effects. The only cons are the taste (a little minty but the end has a bitter taste), I seem to get different side effects each time I take it (very mild, includes some drowsiness and nausea), also in my experience you need to take this medication as soon as you feel the migraine coming on or you may find yourself taking two or three pills during the migraine every two hours to keep it gone. Overall I find it very cost friendly and effective. I will continue using this medication."

MBailey23 April 20, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered with migraine since I was 12 yr old, and I'm now in my 50's. I've had every head exam and test possible as well as tried a myriad of medications over the years for treatment. From taking preventive type things daily to treating the pain only during the headache. Nothing has given me the swift relief as this drug. It seems to give me complete relief within 30-40 minutes, without any side effects (that I've noticed). I took immitrex for years with little relief and horrible side effects. It would make me feel dizzy, weird and always made me nauseous. So I stopped taking it. Now with the Maxalt, I'm thrilled to know I can take it without worry of unwanted side effect. Thank you Maxalt! Finally migraine relief! "

JCDFIELDS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 14, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was 19 (now 23). My migraines were debilitating and caused me to miss a lot of school, so my doctor prescribed me Maxalt. Maxalt almost always cures my migraines within 1-2 hours! The relief is long lasting; one dose and I am usually pain-free for an entire day. For me, side effects are infrequent and usually very minor (sleepiness, dizziness, “foggy brain”). To elaborate on the “foggy brain” side effect, post-headache I would sometimes experience a feeling of euphoria combined with a difficulty concentrating. Usually this is not a big deal, but if I was taking an exam it would slightly affect my performance and concentration. Overall, a great medication that has improved my quality of life!"

Marissaa (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was 15 , and am now 42. Maxalt has changed my life ! I used to be in agony for up to 3 days , but now at the first sign of an attack I take one , very rarely I have had to take another one a few hours after that if it started to come back . It can sometimes make me drowsy, but other times I have no side effects , just relief that there is something that actually works . I'm in Australia, so a pack of 4 costs me $25 ."

Thepixie4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Since I was about 26 I have suffered from migraines (now 65) and tried everything from daily preventative meds, to expensive self injecting & very expensive medication, then cafegot suppositories with 3 aspro clear for the pain, I could spend hours and days feeling like dying and vomiting non stop, then there was a shortage of cafegot and that was hell, and finally they took it off the market, that is when my Dr. asked me to trial Maxalt wafers, at first I thought nothing could replace cafegot and I was very conscious of not taking ergotomine with rizatriptan. Maxalt is the best, it works within an hour, and so far after 4-5 years no side effects at all, and no more vomiting ever. Also I do not take any other drugs for anything, but Maxalt."

PamelaJB March 2, 2016

"This Med is nothing short of a miracle. Quick acting and has broken the cycle this making frequency decrease. Wish my insurance wasn't so tight on filling. I've waited years fora generic & they finally covered 4 pills. Woo hoo! Cheaper than an ER visit that doesn't even work as quickly. I would recommend this product to everyone who mentions the word migraine."

Sweedindeed (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had migraines since I was 11 and was first prescribed Maxalt when I was 17. It's wonderful. I take it as soon as I start to notice the signs of a migraine and about 70% of the time the first dose does the job, within an hour or less. Occasionally I take a second dose if the symptoms haven't gone after 2-3 hours. Very occasionally it doesn't work at all. It has improved my life enormously. I evangelize about it. My migraines used to last up to 3 days - now I get a unkillable one only once or twice a year. Side effects for me are (as someone else has mentioned) one sneeze within a few minutes of taking it, a little drowsiness and eventually a little euphoria (though maybe that's a rational response to knowing the migraine has gone)."

SarahOxford (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2016

"I used to suffer from migraines at least 2-3 times a month. Getting through work or just typical daily tasks used to be very stressful and painful. Taking this medication has changed my life for the better in so many ways. Even when a migraine comes on, I know I can knock it out with this medication. If you suffer from migraines talk to your MD about this medication. It will change your life!"

JMB 09 February 12, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've suffered from migraines almost all my life, first one (which I don't personally remember) was when I was five. My migraines can come a few days a week or as long as six months from each other so I prefer not to be on a every day medication. Having tried different types of medication, I am happy now that I have found something that really does help.I have probably been taking maxalt about 10 years now and have no desire to take anything else."

That Canadian Guy February 6, 2016

"I have headache for an unknown reason, but they are always in the left temple behind my eye. The pain is awful. I've tried every over the counter med and this is the only one that works. Hopefully the cause can be cured until then. This are doing the job"

Btrox (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2016

"This is the best sos pill for migraines, I barely have side-effects from it and if I melt it in my mouth it acts much faster killing my migraine in less than 20 minutes. I cannot imagine my life without Rizatriptan !! It gave me my life back!"

RubinaRoque (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 31, 2016

"Works within 2 hours but my migraine always returns the next day. I take the medication the next day - headache goes away within two hours - comes back the next day again. Medication works but I feel extremely tired and depressed for the three days. Insurance companies also limit me to 9 pills a month which adds to my stress."

Anonymous January 8, 2016

"I take Maxalt 10mg ODT when my Imitrex fails. Maxalt rarely fails and is actually my back up plan but has lately been my go to since Imitrex has stopped working completely. Maxalt is great! It works within an hour of taking it and I have little to no side effects. I give it a 9 because it does make me shake and if I take two, it will make me feel washed out the next day. Of course, all of this is an even trade for killing a migraine. Overall, great and effective drug!"

OodlesOPoodles January 2, 2016

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Works well, Headaches gone in about 2 hours of taking it."

Dave36 December 18, 2015