User Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Rizatriptan Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 128 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan

Ale · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2020

“Migraines were bad and this rizatriptan made it worse!!!!!!!!!!! Have a weird burning achy sensation in my brain my neck and my shoulders. As well as tightness and anxiety got bad. Hoping to fall asleep and wake up feeling better. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL!!!!!!”

AngelMcC · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2020

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): “I had a horrible migraine for 4 days. I was throwing up from pain in my head and neck, weak, dizzy, blurred vision and felt confused. I also couldn’t sleep. After taking maxalt within a couple hours I felt complete relief. I had some side affects of heavy limbs, trouble concentrating, and lethargy but I also felt really calm and relaxed for the first time in days. I highly recommend.”

Pain strain July 23, 2020

“Thisrizatriptan is about the only medication that helps with my migraines. From Botox injections, nerve blocks and all the other things I’ve tried. This seems to help me the most.”

DaniNel July 22, 2020

“This medication is amazing! It is the only med that has touched my monthly migraines which are debilitating. I will continue to use this in the future. I told my husband this is a miracle pill for me. I wish I would have discovered it 20 years ago. The only side effect is sleeping well at night. During the day A bit drowsy but no big deal”

Jan · Taken for 10 years or more July 3, 2020

“Rizatriptan generic/Maxalt melt works on me. Can't use anything else. Did have access to something called Migral before it was removed from my country that also worked. I've had to take 4 rizatriptan in 48 hours before more than once. Have good patches in a month where I don't take this medication. Have been put in hospital for a presumed rebound headache but I had run out of Rizatriptan, think it was that. Have had 2 healthy pregnancies with bright children but the migraines vanish in pregnancy anyway!”

Stormi · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): “maxalt helped with my migraines however the after effects left me depressed with chest pains sore neck, achy all over, tired, and dizzy, I also found myself having to pee way more than normal and it made me feel like I was dying in a sense. I have a brain tumor and for sure thought it turned to cancer and spread through my body before realizing it was the meds. I haven't taken any in a few days and already feel so much better.”

migrainemaxalt · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 14, 2020

“This gets rid of my migraines well. Sometimes I have to take two though to make them go away. (Two 10mg tablets). I’ve been taking MAXALT for about 8 years and it still works which is great. The only thing is the side effects are annoying. Sometimes I can take a maxalt and have little side effects and sometimes I take it and although the pain goes away, I’m basically out of commission for the rest of the day because it makes me so sleepy and weak-feeling. Sometimes my head feels spacey too and I get shortness of breath. The positives outweigh the negatives though.”

Caz · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

“I take rizatriptan for my migraines, start to work after about 30 minutes, I also take propranolol (beta blocker)twice a day.”

KC Sunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

“I've only used rizatriptan twice for my migraines and it helped tremendously. I'm not sure all of the different forms it comes in, but I have the dissolving tablet. In the few minutes it took to melt under my tongue, the zig zags in my vision disappeared. That is a HUGE help for when I am out and about or need to drive. It didn't make the pain completely disappear so I'm only giving it an 8 out of 10.”

Nellie · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 10, 2020

“I suffer from migraines with aura for years since I was a teenager”

Tess · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2020

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): “This stuff is AWFUL. It doesn't work, and it literally makes me suicidal, even if I was fine when I took it. I am not exaggerating when I say I life became too much when I took it. I took some this morning, and it wasn't until I was writing out a suicide note that it clicked for me that this stuff makes me crazy.”

JB Oakland, CA · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2020

“I get headaches way too often. Was bad before and now In my early 40s it has gotten worse. Often associated with bad sleep but sometimes they just come on and I have no idea why. They can last up to 3 days and I am useless. This is a problem with family and work. I tried rizatriptan and it is worked wonders! It is the only thing that takes my pain away — the only problem is that I am not allowed to take it note than 9 times a month. Last month I used 6. I was also prescribed nortriptyline which I haven’t started because I don’t want to take an every day. Maybe that would work better? Getting to the point where I may try it. Why do all of us up here get such bad headaches? Mine feels related to neck and shoulder pain. Wish we could all find consistent relief. Good luck people.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

“Awful, pain in sinuses, throbbing pain got worse, upset stomach and feel sick.”

Maxaltsurvivor · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

“10/10 do NOT recommend this medication. Unless you enjoy the feeling of feeling like you’re on the way out , or possibly on acid. I couldn’t form a sentence, couldn't stand up straight, my sinuses were ON FIRE, my headache actually got worse, my neck and shoulders felt like someone was squeezing them and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. I’ll take a migraine over the side affects of this medicine any day”

TL · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2020

“Rizatriptan worked wonders for me. I had migraines with nausea, dizziness, numbness in my face and pain down my neck. The first time I took it I felt weird with heart palpitations but the next time I took half and I was fine. Now when I feel a migraine coming I take 1 and it's absolutely gone within 30min. And feel normal! Life saver!!!”

Mah · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 9, 2020

“This medication is a miracle drug for migraines definitely can't live without it”

S December 29, 2019

“Made my pain worse, made me super anxious, tired, nonfunctional for the whole day. It also made me extremely hazy with some of the worst brain fog I’ve ever had and gave me some shortness of breath. Definitely do not recommend.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 7, 2019

“Rizatriptan gave me excellent results when nothing else was working for my migraine. Sometimes I have to take a second dose, but that's it.”

MM December 4, 2019

Maxalt (rizatriptan): “I had migraines that would last anywhere from 8 to 16 hours every 2-3 weeks once I hit my 20s. It would feel like someone injected poison into the right side of my head and neck, and the poison would pulsate every 30 seconds with blindingly sharp icky pain. I tracked my migraines closely for 2 years and finally switched to a doctor/neurologist who worked with me on what it could be. I have issues with my serotonin levels and was diagnosed with the migraines without aura. I used all the OTC drugs for my migraines and would always feel nauseated or it wouldn't work. Finally, I tried the rizatriptan/Maxalt 10mg tablets and they worked within 30minutes of my migraine attacks! I've never been so thankful to have this. My migraines now only happen about once a month, but this prescription has never given me any adverse side effects or pain. Hopefully others can find this prescription beneficial as I have.”

Wow2boyz · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

“Rizatriptan worked great for my migraine! I put the meltable tab under my tongue and the minty flavor wasn’t to bad either. About 30 min later my migraine was gone and I was asleep. I do feel foggy and sleepy today but overall it was amazing how fast it works. Would recommend to a friend or family member.”

Kathy · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 9, 2019

“Rizatriptan didn’t do anything It actually made my migraine worse and tastes like rancid peppermint. Horrible. Don’t even bother!!!”

Beany September 28, 2019

“This medication is great for my migraines and knocks them out but the side effects often leave me scared. To begin with, I’m ALWAYS knocked out in about 20 minutes as it makes me extremely sleepy. So this is not a pill I can just pop in at work when I feel a migraine coming up. It is inconvenient to only take it at home in bed. Right before I fall asleep comes the extremely burning feeling of my sinuses, pressure in my throat, and chest and my jaw feels like I’ve been in a beef jerky chewing marathon for weeks. It’s hard to explain how this all feels but it’s scary and I just end up looking forward to falling asleep. I usually wake up refreshed with no headache. I got this same side effects when I took Sumatriptans and asked my doctor to change it. She gave me Rizatripan and I just pretty much felt helpless. Some days the side effects are worse than others but I’m desperate enough to take the pill anyway because anything is better than the migraines.”

Dust Imp · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 17, 2019

Maxalt (rizatriptan): “I took Maxalt for years and it worked wonderfully most of the time as long as I took it before my migraine got too bad. Then all of a sudden last year I had an allergic reaction to it. My face swelled, my throat felt like it was closing and I had hives. Had to go to the ER.”

Tomo · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2019

Maxalt (rizatriptan): “Maxalt is an absolute Life saver Normally takes around an hour to kick in and 9/10 times completely conquers my migraine Only subtle side effects I experience is a little foggy headed. And my skin tingles a little. Definetely better then dealing with severe migraines”

tklow September 4, 2019

“I've had migraines 30+ years: since I was a child. No med has EVER stopped one, including hospital-injected opiates, and they last 3-5 days. NSAIDS and lots of ginger will reduce the pain a little. I've been trying Rizatripan for a few weeks and it's promising! It doesn't 100% kill the migraine, but greatly reduces it. That is absolutely a miracle for me. It is quite sedating but that only lasts about 2 hours and coffee helps (I don't think I would drive right after taking one). I do feel a bit tired the next day. Down side: it tastes so gross. Like cloyingly sweet toothpaste mixed with aspartame. Migraines make me nauseated, so I have to struggle to not throw up from the taste but at least the meltable format means I can't throw it up as I often do with pills. I just wish the melts were unflavoured and tasted like medicine. Also, aspartame is a known migraine trigger!? I think that may be why it's only partially helpful for me. But overall I'm hopeful.”

Learn more about Migraine

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)