User Reviews for Rizatriptan

Also known as: Maxalt, Maxalt-MLT

Learn more about Rizatriptan.

Rizatriptan Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 128 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Rizatriptan to treat Migraine

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had chronic migraines for around 12 years. I take 5mg and it usually takes care of my headache. It makes my neck ache a little but the relief from the horrible symptoms of a migraine are well worth it. I've tried other triptans but this one works best. The generic is very inexpensive."

Headache Lady February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My daily headaches started after a ventricular assist device (VAD). Maxalt has worked beautifully in killing the pain. Occasionally I will wake up with a headache the following day, but not severe enough to warrant another dose. I am careful to avoid triggers so don't have to take this very often. I am grateful that I have this option since I am allergic to NSAIDs."

Lena S February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "I am a 23 year old male suffering from occasional (about once a month) migraine attacks which are often accompanied with uncontrollable vomiting. My neurologist prescribed me this medicine saying that it is the most advanced one currently available and made specifically for migraines. Unfortunately, after taking the medicine several times during various attacks, It had about as much effect as an Aspirin and it stop the pain or the nausea. My mother, who suffers from more often and severe migraines then I do, got prescribed the same medicine, but it didn't help her either. I ended up switching to Ketoprofen based painkillers which have been most effective for me, but don't work during the worst attacks."

Fran_croatia January 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Have had headaches almost daily for over 4 years. I have been given several different medication. Most not very affective. The pain has completely changed our lives. I was recently put on Maxalt. It is helping more than most. I have been prescribed 10 mg of Maxalt that I can take two a day over a period of 24 hrs. Sometimes I have 3 headaches a day so that limited amount doesn't keep me very functional. Does anyone have suggestions? How is their Maxalt prescribed?"

Suzi Marie Hunter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have suffered from migraines since I was a kid. I'm 49 now. In my mid 30s I started taking imitrex and it completely derailed me. I then started trying a bunch of preventative drugs, beta blocker, calcium blockers and ssri drugs. Finally found one that works fairly well, but along with that I use maxalt as a rescue drug which I still take 6+ times a month. It's a good drug and is effective. I have always noticed the migraines redoubles its efforts before leaving after I take it. I also notice it makes me very sleepy and foggy. I don't like to take it at work because of that. 9 times out of 10 it works, but there are still times it does nothing for me. Some is better than none in my world though. I take a generic due to cost."

Hld1967 (taken for 10 years or more) December 23, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Usually the migraine wakes me up at night with the pain beginning at the base of my head. I keep the rizatriptan on my bedside table and I take it immediately. When I wake in the morning the pain is gone. Before I would wake with the pain, and it would linger for days with hardly no relief. I works great for me."

Jackie L. December 12, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have tried a lot of meds with no positive results for migraines. Had to be rushed to the hospital a lot because the pain would paralyze me, some times unable to speak and some times I would pass out. My doctor finally prescribed Rizatriptan Benzoate 10mg and Phenergan 25mg. She told me to take both immediately on the onset of the migraine and it has worked wonders and has changed my life completely. I take both meds with me everywhere I go. As long as I take them immediately and try to get in a vertical position it works pretty quickly."

Finally some relief December 9, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Aside from a slight burning sensation where my migraine is located this drug works wonderfully. Better than any nasal spray or OTC drug I've ever tried."

Milhorn November 25, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "This little wafer gave me life back ! I use to suffer every week ,at least one attack.Not only does this kill the feeling of my brain bursting through my skull but stops the vomiting . Saved my life ,I felt I couldn't continue my life with such a disabilitating condition."

Kris W November 12, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "If taken at the start of a migraine this medicine works wonders . There are side effects such as dry mouth, tiredness, and joint aches. But as anyone who has migraines know that is a small price to pay for relief from the migraine itself."

Devonlee1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "Maxalt works for me. It is the only one I've tried so far that does."

Bessiebug November 2, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This stuff is great, it helps get rid of the migraines most of the time. I also take Baclofen daily. I have had migraines for over 30 years and this is the only thing that has helped."

jess1116 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "It is the only med that has helped my migraines!"

T4t September 27, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have a very bad migraine since one year .. And i went through many medication and tried heaps of tablets but non of then work .. And then finally my GP PRESCRIBED me with MAXALT and guess what! As soon as i put it in my tounge i felt the sense of releif and after half n hour my pain is totally gone ...WHAT A GREAT FEELINGS .. Just amazing .."

Dinesh r September 6, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have been getting migrainea since I was 8 years old and nothing seems to help. I started taking Maxalt 10mg for a while now and not effective at all. It feels like I'm taking a sugar pill. Although when I do take it I get very dizzy. Personally I don't recommend it but if it helps for you I say go for it!"

Kath B August 25, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I have had migraines since I was 11. When people say they are not hereditary...they are wrong. My grandma, mom, sisters and brothers all have them they did not even skip a generation.. my daughter and nieces as well get them. My physician calls mine sinus migraines. I get stomach pain, vomiting, an aura, light sensitivity. They had me on demerol, Percocet, phenergan, imitrex, nothing helped. I have been on maxalt a few years and the one thing I have noticed is that i get pain around the upper jaw area just under the ear...then all of a sudden like the snap of a finger all pain is gone 15 to 25 min. It makes me drowsey. I wake up from my nap feeling great but real thirsty."

Mmcm1961 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have vestibular migraines or migrainous vertigo, I don't really suffer with headache pain, my symptoms affect my balance, my hearing and vision. I do take other medication for this (Amitriptyline), my neurologist recommended Maxalt wafers, I take this when I know my migraine is getting worse. I do feel the benefits of Maxalt, and only take Maxalt when necessary as they do make me feel groggy. I'm not a fan of taking medication, but this does help my symptoms."

KrustyOz August 16, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had really bad migraines since I was 30 (now 53). I tried everything! Last medication I was on was Fioricet. It worked most times but not all the time. I also had to lay down when I took it. I have missed so many great events over the years due to migraines. I heard about Maxalt and asked my doctor to prescribe it. My quality of life is amazing. My migraine is gone within 30 minutes every time. I don't have to lay down with it either."

Migraine Free August 9, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "My migraines started on April 2 2016, I have had a constant headache since then, with the 13 migraines, after a CT scan in my neck, I have a long which needs to be removed, which could be the root cause for this ongoing headache however finally I was prescribed maxalt today after almost 4 months of suffering headaches and migraines,and taking other pain relief, icing it, quiet rooms, limiting bright light stimulation ,msiisng out on family and friend events and I cannot believe the difference it's made. I don't like taking medications, I try to do things naturally, think this really really helped, and I have so much relief. Kudos to the angel who told me about it from Medicare, while we were trying to sort out my card going missing"

ArisaY July 28, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt (rizatriptan): "I've had ever-worsening migraines since I was in my 40's (I'm now 73). When they started, all that was available were drugs like Fiorinal and other mind-scrambling drugs. Finally, the triptans came along and saved my life. I started with Imitrex and tried the various other triptans, but Maxalt was the most effective. I would like to share one important observation: When I first started taking triptans, I had very few side effects, and was able to function at a high-level job, run home with kids, etc. HOWEVER, as I got older, I realized that side-effects emerged which have only gotten stronger over time. e.g. fogginess, sleepiness, nausea, etc. -- so be aware that side-effects can increase with age. Still, Maxalt is a life-saver."

ImaGima (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"OMG! This stuff is a life changer! I suffer from migraines at least once or twice a week. Makes me feel a little nauseated for a few minutes but within 20 minutes my headache and nausea is gone. Now I have to figure out how to get more then my insurance will allow me to get in a month.... They only allow 9 a month :-/ Way better than Imatrex!"

OSusieQ June 27, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Migraines since I was 15, now in my 40's. Identified as menstrual migraines in my early 30's after 1st child, up to 5 days of migraines every 26 days. Nothing worked before, but started taking rizatriptan 9 months ago. It works every time, no side effects. I have my life back. Amazing. Recommend making a mentrual and migraine diary before going to the doctor."

siany (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Maxalt-MLT (rizatriptan): "Fantastic drug! Works every time within half an hour. Feel a little strange for around 30 minutes after taking it, but no other side effects. Highly recommend it as it's the only thing that works for my migraines"

GJJ666 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am 32 and since I was 28 I have been suffering very bad migraines due to damaging my neck and back. I can wake up with a bad migraine and tight sore neck and shoulder muscles. I usually take mersyndol forte but codeine leaves me feeling very tired and nauseated. Visits to the ER were a waste of time. My doc put me on maxalt. I had low expectations as nothing else really worked. I was very pleasantly surprised...finally some relief!! I'm on warfarin so cannot take ibuprofen aspirin etc. I'm so happy to have found something! I wonder why I wasn't prescribed this sooner."

XTINA1984 May 18, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This did help the intensity of my migraine at the first dose but within an hour the pain is so severe again. Tylonel , Advil, Ibuprofen are no relief my doctors recommend this to me after seeing no possible reasons for my pain. It's been almost 11 years of suffering not sure what my options are now.. Love some feed back on alternative options , the pain is so bad just wells tears in my eyes sounds and lights are too much I can't leave my room. I'm only 24 years old and I want to be able to live my life ,"

Shell0292 May 15, 2016