User Reviews for Prazosin

Also known as: Minipress

Prazosin has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 206 ratings on Drugs.com. 60% of those users who reviewed Prazosin reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder  Off-label
9.5
Summary of Prazosin reviews 7.0 206 reviews

Reviews for Prazosin

Ellie · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2021

For Nightmares: “TBH it works pretty real”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2021

For Nightmares: “It COMPLETELY helped.”

JL March 21, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I've struggled with generalized anxiety and PTSD for over 20 years. I've been on a lot of medications. Most of them, if effective at all, loose efficacy pretty quickly as it seems my body always figures out how to ignore them. Others negatively impact my cognition, executive function, motor, etc and make me LESS functional. When a recent trauma brought back nightmares, my NP recommended this to help me sleep at night. It is now the only medication I take for anxiety. On MY request. Yes, starting it can be scary if your doctor doesn't start you at 1mg then increase it gradually. My NP did this, though, and I had no issues with starting it.”

Gabriel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “This medication is a life saver. I realized that I absolutely cannot go off it because it’s like night & day. I currently take 5 mg at night, I had to slowly increase it 1 mg at a time until I got up to where I am now. That’s the only thing about it, if you go more than two days without it, you have to titrate back up again. I’ve noticed a tremendous difference on this medication. I’m more relaxed during the day, I don’t clench my teeth all the time, I’m less jumpy, the intrusive thoughts have decreased considerably, I sleep better, the paranoia is decreased as are the crazy thought patterns I got myself into from the constant hypervigilance. The feeling of constant threat is reduced; every little thing doesn’t feel like it could kill me anymore. I can actually function. This is the best medicine I’ve ever been on.”

Serenity Moonlighte · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I am very thankful that my psychiatrist decided to prescribe this great medicine to me. My nightmares and sleep paralysis rarely rears it's ugly head now. I have; social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, disassociative disorder, ptsd, chronic depression and ADHD. I realize that what I am about to say can be a controversial subject, but I simply wish to help. Many people who are diagnosed with so many psychological disorders are what is called an Empath. We are evolving faster now than ever before in the history of mankind. It's basically a spiritual awakening of the human race. There are positive aspects, such as high intuition amongst other gifts. Basically, it's not medical, but spiritual. Get educated and stay medicated if need be.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: “I've been dealing with a lot of stress lately and been only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night due to it. This pill helped me get to sleep and stay asleep, it all felt like I was back to normal, not taking anything, just finally being able to sleep, and sleep well. It didn't make me tired, more of just being able to sleep. I felt as if my problems and worries were for later and now was for relaxation and sleep. I've tried a few other things for sleep such as Ambien, but none provided the satisfaction of being able to just go to sleep and sleep well with only the best of dreams. Instead of having nightmares of random things infused with my trouble and worries I had amazing dreams of the things I loved.”

RockShot4 · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

For Anxiety and Stress: “I just took my first dose of prazosin last night before bed to help anxiety and stress. I have non-combat PTSD from child abuse. My doctor said to take it at night. Reading these reviews it would seem this drug is for nightmares. I don’t have those. Just Panic attacks, depression and anxiety. I’m wondering if I should switch to a day dose. Does this drug manage your anxiety? Or is it specifically for nightmares?. Thanks.”

Anonymous December 26, 2008

For Anxiety and Stress: “I use this for PTSD, anxiety, nightmares, etc. I have previously tried almost every other anti-depressant and anti-psychotics. A low dose of prazosin has done the trick. I sleep almost 8 hours uninterupted. I went from full blown panic attacks to moderate anxiety. I actually have a quality of life now. If your situation sounds like mine try it. It may give you your life back.”

jwq May 6, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I started by getting sick after eating, then nightmares, sleeplessness, panic attacks, agoraphobia, high anxiety, and being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I was put on different medicines by different doctors and nothing worked. The different meds made me gain 40lbs, gave me diabetes, dyskinesia, and SSRI's have horrible withdrawal symptoms when you run out of medicines. A new VA doctor recently prescribed Prazosin. After three days, I no longer felt like I was constantly shaking inside me. I don't feel like a speaker reverberating through me when I hear a loud or sudden noise. I went from sleeping 4-5 hours per night to double that. I don't have nightmares anymore, and I stopped getting sick from anxiety. Prazosin is a miracle to me.”

PTSD1111 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 22, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I've suffered for over 20 years with PTSD in addition to ADD, so my adrenal system is shot. My fight or flight is 0-100 with anger at times so severe I've received felony charges. I witnessed a horrific murder, was raped and held at gunpoint with my baby daughter for over a week. My trauma was so severe I had and still have memory loss. I believed I was dead for over 5 years and had a memory of me being shot. What I want to say about this medication is it saved my life, I've been on it for about 6 months and it works. I am going to see about taking it during the day as well...I wish you all the best of luck and pray you remain strong through your battle with PTSD.”

Gigi April 28, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I have been taking Prazosin for about four months. Initially, I was prescribed 1mg at bedtime for nightmares. During the first week, I noticed that my nightmares seemed much less severe. By the middle of my second week, the dreams were more like strangely vivid weird dreams. At the tail end of the first 30 days, I felt like my nightmares had stopped. Physically, I dealt with some dizziness, like for the first 15 minutes. Most of the next two months, I slept pretty good--or so I thought. One morning my husband confronted me about hitting and kicking him in my sleep. That increased over the course of a couple of weeks. My clinician is slowly increasing of Prazosin over the course of the next month--from 1mg to 4mg. I have been taking 2mg for the past three nights and feel amazing. My sleep is much closer to MY normal. For me, normal is 5 to 6 hours. I wake up feeling refreshed and well rested with no muscle pain or tension.”

Shana · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 30, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I have PTSD from childhood trauma. I have had nightmares for decades. Not every night, but often enough that I would put off going to sleep until I passed out from exhaustion. The sleep deprivation was taking its toll, and I could barely function. I don’t remember where or how I heard about prazosin, but I asked my doctor about it and she put me on 2mg. I still was in a total rut about staying up late because I was afraid to go to sleep, so she prescribed trazadone too. I noticed the first couple nights that the dreams weren’t as bad, but I was still having them so my dr bumped me up to 4mg. That worked very well for about a year. Now I’m at 5mg and doing well. Maybe one nightmare a month. No side effects at all. I can’t say what a change this has made in my life, to get quality sleep for the first time in so many years.”

Starbucks · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 16, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “Prazosin 1mg-2mg helps with dreams, however can cause dizziness, it also helps in relaxation. Taken with acetaminophen, prazosin can greatly reduce aches associated with tremors common in PTSD. Hydration is important. Prazosin and a sleep aid similar to Tylenol pm can help with sleep, however a restless night here and there is not uncommon. I am thankful to have this medication, it is helpful”

BrkRchll August 1, 2008

For Anxiety and Stress: “This medicine SPECIFICALLY helps with PTSD by eliminating nightmares. This is a MIRACLE DRUG for those suffering from PTSD related nightmares and seems to be effective in a large % of sufferers. I had suffered from horribly vivid, recurring, disturbing nightmares which had become so bad I got about 3 hrs. of sleep a night. They stopped after the FIRST DOSE! I found out about it on the web and told my doctor who now regularly prescribes it to patients suffering from PTSD related nightmares.”

Tian · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “Took first 1mg prazosin dose last night, noticed dizziness within 30 minutes, did not help with nightmares. Upon waking up, my heart began to pound so badly that I also felt it in my head which caused a migraine that I still have writing this. I was sweating profusely, could hardly see anything due to almost passing out and had extremely loud ringing in my ears. I had to lay down this morning for about two hours because if I tried to stand, those symptoms listed would immediately start up again. Called my doc and was told to not take it again due to it dangerously lowering my blood pressure. I would not recommend this medication for PTSD treatment based on my horrible experience.”

Missunshine January 3, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “This medication Prazosin saved me . I have tried too many to count. I got a new psychiatrist who worked in a veterans hospital. I suffer from a couple forms of ptsd. Complex ptsd and ptsd associated with trauma. I have not a true night's rest since I was child. I work on auto pilot. I have been in therapy for 2 years and I just started prazosin a month ago. I notice so many differences. I am calmer. I am still hyper aware but at 40% vs 100%. It helped tone down my PTSD symptoms to the point where I am now facing my demons. I lost hope but this medication helped being it back.”

Angela Einstein · Taken for 10 years or more April 1, 2017

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “This pill has literally saved my life. I use to have dreams that would cause me to relive my traumas and I won't even describe my experience from there but it was as bad as if was happening again. Now I sleep in peace. I have taken this miracle pill for over 10 years now and it has worked. I also sometimes take a pill to actually help me fall asleep but that is a different problem and one that I have dealt with my entire life. Good luck to all of us who suffer with PTSD. The best advice I have is, stay away from alcohol, it does not help, it just appears to. It is really just the devil in disguise.”

Red Robin · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2020

For Nightmares: “I have a loooong history of being abused, neglected, bullied, ostracized, beaten, mugged, robbed, cut, chased by dogs, etc. Little did I know I had developed PTSD. My nightmares and night terrors were such that I felt it was better to just stay awake all the time, and this was relatively easy anyway since I also suffer from Bipolar I Disorder, the type where two hours of sleep is sufficient. Needless to say, sleep deprivation was destroying me slowly. A psychiatrist prescribed Prazosin. At first, I was skeptical - how can a pill make my nightmares stop? It sure it! I have to take it, 4mg, every night, though, otherwise I'd be guaranteed to have nightmares. I now also want to take it for anxiety because Buspar is making me sleep walk, and when I sleep walk I buy things on the internet I don't remember the next day, like guitars, computers, a plane ticket to Vienna, etc.”

RETVET · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2017

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “First I wish to thank those with PTSD who shared their experience with Prazosin. I am treated by VA for PTSD w/moral injury, for Prolonged nightly Night Terrors, Night screams, kicking/running legs in deep sleep. (Vietnam Era Combat Vet) I was placed on Prazosin nightly by my Psychiatrist about 4 years ago...at 1mg, and graduating to 6 mg by 2016. I take Sertraline in the morning..along with two cups of strong coffee to get me into a relatively normal routine. Sertraline helps with sudden noise anxiety and social conflict management. Prazosin causes me to crave sleep within an hour....I fall into deep sleep within minutes of lying down. The terrors and screams are very rare now. My dog is trained to awaken me on Alarm. I am grateful.”

4Gotten1 March 11, 2021

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I’ve had PTSD since 9/11. I’d wake several times a night in a jump scare state, or as soon as I’d begin to relax my mind would wander back to that day and my heart would be racing. It was hard trying some sleep tablets, Valium, even Ambien which puts everyone to sleep! Years of night terrors went on until I couldn’t even work anymore. My psychiatrist suggested minipress it was a wonder drug! In hindsight I now feel the name brand minipress was a bit too heavy for me in the daytime or maybe I should’ve taken a lower dosage But when my pharmacy told me that TEVA began manufacturing a generic under the name prazosin its amazing it’s changed my life. I’m still able to think and function without feeling weak & sad I can sleep at night & I had even begun having pleasant dreams. Only now my insurance won’t cover it and I’ve been forced to get the Mylan brand. The headaches and weight gain, nausea and dizziness are so bad that after 3 months I just started paying out of pocket.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 18, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “So I have been taking prazosin for over two years now. I started off in hospitals with a big breakdown and my anxiety shot through the roof. I had three awful experiences in a three year time span not to mention things that were added on during childhood. After going through countless medicines and finally telling my doctor what happened to me I was diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I started prazosin and went from having to re-live my experiences vividly and in a continuous loop all day, feeling everything that happened, constantly wanting to tear off my skin, couldn't talk to the opposite sex, depression, and anxiety attacks, in my nightmares to a nightmare every two weeks flashbacks on only days close to the events and rarely any anxiety. A miracle!”

Featherwood · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 5, 2020

For Nightmares: “I was suffering from Night Terrors since 2017. And with my PTSD it was the same night terror over and over. When I take the prazosinnmedicine as prescribed I do not have nightmares nor do I have night terrors, but when I begin to slack off or stop taking them all together the dreams come back even worse. So I give this drug to thumbs up”

Klynn · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2020

For Nightmares: “I was prescribed 1mg prazosin at night for nightmares. I have not tried any other medication for them before so this is my first experience with a drug for this particular problem. I have nightmares every night and it has gotten so bad that I wake up after each one in a full-blown sweat and have to change my bedding 2x a night. After starting this medication I've had very brief dreams that I cannot recollect and have not woken up in a sweat for 4 days in a row now. This makes me super happy since my dreams are usually very vivid and long and they stick with me for the entire day. The only down side is my partner has told me I move around in my sleep much more than usual. He has said this morning, that last night I fidgeted for a long time after I fell asleep. I didn't know any of this and hope it was just a one time thing and doesn't get worse.”

idontwantone · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2020

For Nightmares: “Jesus Christ I'll keep my nightmares I had before taking this. 1mg a night and each night I took it he said give it another try and when I did I couldn't wake myself up. It was like Freddie Krugers nut house. I thought my nightmares were bad before and not being able to sleep or just drop from exhaustion, but I couldn't wake myself up. They were intensified! I am scared now they'll stay with me. Now that I have stopped taking it I have some like that from time to time. So essentially it made them worse.”

M.M. · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 30, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I've been taking prazosin to help with Post traumatic stress disorder nightmares for over 5 years. When my doctor told me about it I was ready to try anything to get the nightmares to stop as they were the most intrusive continuous PTSD symptom of mine. I started at 1mg, worked my way to 2mg and found that it worked very well. For a couple of years now, I am only taking 0.5mg as a maintenance dose. The only side-effect I ever experienced was some dizziness upon standing after I took it at night but that disappeared quickly.”

AmberDawn · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “This prazosin has helped my PTSD more than any other pill any dr has thrown at me. I even see improvement during the day. I still get triggered into fight or flight response but not as easy and it doesn’t last as long now. Also my therapy has really progressed since I’ve started it about 6 months ago.”

Joshua B. March 5, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “Started yesterday. Not only am I calmer but it was first night without nightmares and flash backs from Iraq. No waking up in a puddle if sweat, was up only 1 time to pee and easily fell back asleep. It helps with my breathing and calmness during the day also. Hope it stays this way. Been too long since I had good sleep with out being haunted at night while sleeping.”

Joe joe · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks. I had nightmares 7 nights a week, they were so bad I didn't want to go to sleep anymore. My doctor gave me prazosin and for the first time the nightmares were gone. You have to take it every night because if you don't the nightmares will come back. I have been on every medication for my PTSD and as far as my horrible nightmares..prazosin is by far the best.”