User Reviews for Prazosin

Also known as: Minipress

Learn more about Prazosin.

Raynaud's Syndrome 2 reviews 48 medications

5.1
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 3 reviews 15 medications

Summary of Prazosin reviews 103 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Prazosin

For Anxiety and Stress: "Prazosin is very helpful for anxiety and stress, especially for those with occupations that require vigilance. I started with 1 mg at bedtime for nightmares and insomnia, but started taking it during the daytime as well for stress and anxiety. Only when I first started did I have a few episodes of mild dizziness, but the dizziness is gone now. It also seems to help with BPH symptoms."

JTHESS76 July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I'm a former paramedic with Complex-PTSD, and I've been taking Prazosin for one year to help with my nightmares. I used to kick and scream during my nightmares. I woke up so sweaty I had to change during the night, and sleep in a different spot. I still have nightmares, but they aren't terrifying like they used to be. I no longer have night sweats. My only beef is with the major dizziness and tachycardia the following morning. I've tried stopping these meds because of the side-effects, but trust me: the benefits far outweigh them."

MamanMedic (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "Helped a ton at night when I'm prone to white and purple hands and feet. Was prescribed this for nightmares and sleep problems related to anxiety. Works for both, just happen to be an added bonus that is works on my Raynauds Phenomenon."

Elizabeth1234 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "My 21 year old son died on Jan 13, 2017 after this I immediately started having vivid horrible nightmares. My doctor put me on Prazosin, the nightmares have stopped. It works great for me."

RN Allie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "This pill has literally saved my life. I use to have dreams that would cause me to relive my traumas and I won't even describe my experience from there but it was as bad as if was happening again. Now I sleep in peace. I have taken this miracle pill for over 10 years now and it has worked. I also sometimes take a pill to actually help me fall asleep but that is a different problem and one that I have dealt with my entire life. Good luck to all of us who suffer with PTSD. The best advice I have is, stay away from alcohol, it does not help, it just appears to. It is really just the devil in disguise."

Angela Einstein (taken for 10 years or more) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nightmares: "I started taking Prazosin in 2012 when I was diagnosed with PSTD & Conversion Disorder. When I first started taking Prazosin It helped me a lot, but like another poster stated it did bring things out that had been pushed Deep into my mind that I had been suppressing for years and didn't know it. I'm glad I take it and will continue taking it. I started 1 - 2 caps bedtime. Then I was just upped to 3/ 1mg. Only side effect I can think of is diarrhea from time to time. I hope this helps others and may God bless you on your journey to finding what works for you."

Fishgal47 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "First I wish to thank those with PTSD who shared their experience with Prazosin. I am treated by VA for PTSD w/moral injury, for Prolonged nightly Night Terrors, Night screams, kicking/running legs in deep sleep. (Vietnam Era Combat Vet) I was placed on Prazosin nightly by my Psychiatrist about 4 years ago...at 1mg, and graduating to 6 mg by 2016. I take Sertraline in the morning..along with two cups of strong coffee to get me into a relatively normal routine. Sertraline helps with sudden noise anxiety and social conflict management. Prazosin causes me to crave sleep within an hour....I fall into deep sleep within minutes of lying down. The terrors and screams are very rare now. My dog is trained to awaken me on Alarm. I am grateful."

RETVET (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Best thing that's ever happened to me. ....why aren't more people getting this pill?"

Brando33333 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nightmares: "I have been on subutex for 4 years and my dr gave me prazosin for the nightmares. But the first night I don't remember anything... Not even sleeping so awoke felling tired and confused... But like any drug addict trying to change I am willing to do anything.. Now the therapy is making me relive so many things I kept hidden by drugs.. And as I relive more I worry and think about things more and more it isn't good and I am trying so that I can live again."

mydaysruntogether (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nightmares: "I take .5mg for sleep terror. Started working immediately. No more night dread / fear experiences. Also reduces anxiety and depression but this takes time. Would like to increase dose but headaches stop me"

Nodewma January 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "This medication has been a life changer in so many ways. I suffer from PTSD and have not had any night terrors since starting this medication. Simply a wonder drug."

007Andrews (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I am 63 and have had CPTSD all my life. Prazosin has helped a lot. BUT it's been rocky. The first dose I took felt like a miracle. I was serene and amazed. But then my nervous system got confused. Used to the constant fight stimulus. I would get wired taking it before sleep. Took it during the day which helped. WHAT I experienced felt like when one's arm goes numb and then circulation returns. My whole body felt like it was coming alive again. It hurt but I knew it was good. My digestion worked better. (makes sense) I had insomnia about 3 nights a week. After 2 months I'm so so much better - hardly any hypervigilance, less nightmares. So decrease the dose if you need to and gradually build it up if you have the problems I had."

Living with Complex PTSD (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "My boyfriend was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder and also suffers from childhood trauma PTSD. The medication alone he was still having his manic stages and his lows, but once the doctor added the minipress to take at night with his seroquel quetiapine, it created wonders for us. He has been very stable after only 30 days and we hope this progresses through out time."

LizNJC (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Went on this because I was looking for something non-habit forming to replace Ativan to help w my bad anxiety and flashbacks/nightmares at night. Sadly it did absolutely nothing to reduce the severity of any of my symptoms and also messed with my blood pressure which made me dizzy and almost pass out when I'd wake up :( I was taken off of it pretty quickly because of what it did to my blood pressure."

ptsd123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was placed on this for PTSD. I am female and none of the patient information warned that it would cause severe breast pain and engorgement. It does note in the information my doctor accessed that males may experience breast bud enlargement and pain. There was actually a specific term for this effect, but I forget now what it was. He had me go off the medication and back on 3 times. With two weeks in between. Each time, within 10 days, the pain was unbearable."

SkeenaPTSD (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been taking Prazosin for years. It started mainly right after my time in the service where I experienced.. An event. My battle buddy committed suicide in front of me. Taking his own rifle to his chin and pulling the trigger. For years after I suffered horrible reenactments of his death in my dreams. So vividly lucid that I would wake up screaming and being able to smell the sulfur in the air from the shell casing hitting the ground. Or the sound of a round penetrating the human skull, rickashay in this helmet and through his face. I don't mean to go about my own horrible nightmares, but that was 2007, it's November 22, 2016. My nightmares are returning. I'm not sure if I need a readjustment or not."

Boomer82 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Using this for parasomnia, bph and bp. Kind of silver bullet. But my new doc tried to give me the brand name... Is it an extended release or just much more expensive? I only take it at night and dizziness hasnt been an issue. Seems to work as well as other bph meds that I have tried, my bp has also been reasonable. Seems to make sleepwalking more infrequent which is why I tried it."

Brand name diff? (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "After being diagnosed with PTSD, I was put on prazosin to help with horrible nightmares. I take a cocktail of other drugs which help with anxiety, hyper-alertness, and other symptoms. Even though I'm taking all this stuff I still have trouble sleeping and many times wake up punching, kicking and fighting. Prazosin has taken the edge off, though I still have really bazaar dreams. Plus, I recall everything. No side effects."

Kitchencat September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I am very thankful that my psychiatrist decided to prescribe this great medicine to me. My nightmares and sleep paralysis rarely rears it's ugly head now. I have; social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, disassociative disorder, ptsd, chronic depression and ADHD. I realize that what I am about to say can be a controversial subject, but I simply wish to help. Many people who are diagnosed with so many psychological disorders are what is called an Empath. We are evolving faster now than ever before in the history of mankind. It's basically a spiritual awakening of the human race. There are positive aspects, such as high intuition amongst other gifts. Basically, it's not medical, but spiritual. Get educated and stay medicated if need be."

Serenity Moonlighte (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "After 30 years of night terrors amongst other life traumas and almost a year of Doctors saying you have MDD, attempting suicide, cutting and other anger, anxiety, and and social issues. I learned yesterday that I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Depression etc. I was taken off two Propanolol and Hydroxyzine and they were replaced with Prazosin and Risperdal. Although last night was only my first night taking prazosin and I was told to take it alone. Well I did that around 9 pm stayed up for about two hours after taking it finally getting sleepy around 11pm or close to it. Got up off the couch to go to bed a little off balance. Abruptly awoke at 1:30 am more off balance and cannot go back to sleep. Not sure if I had a nightmare but anxiety is high."

NoOneSpecial38 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nightmares: "It's been 6 mos now and still works miracles for my PTSD night terrors! The combination I've found that works for me: read the Bible or listen to it from an app as you fall asleep, take 2 mgs of Prazosin, and a combination of anti-depressant (Prozac/fluoxetine) works best for me, along with an anti-anxiety med treatment for the day. My next step will be therapy when I'm ready to talk. Until then, this combination helps tremendously. Even with the other meds I would wake up soaking wet and fighting for my life in my night terrors. Prazosin somehow helps tremendously and was my missing link."

SouthernSummer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been on prazosin since beginning of March 2016. I have Cptsd, anxiety, depression, ADHD, insomnia, and a number of physical problems(such as nerve damage ext.) Anyhow, this prazosin worked great for the first 2 months I'd say. I started at 1mg at night, I'm now up to 4mg at night it does nothing! Absolutely nothing that I can tell! I had a nice little PTSD flashback two days while driving and last night it was nightmare after nightmare! My doctor only seems to want to up my dosage instead of trying other things too! I don't like it anymore though and don't find it very useful. I have absolutely no side effects from it, other than it doesn't work."

Heather88 August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "Before I started taking this for nightmares, I used to have a bad case of raynaud's syndrome. After I started taking it the nightmares went away for a while but then i built up some kind of tolerance for them, however the raynaud's is still looking really good i havent had any issues with that."

GoombaJones August 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nightmares: "This drug is very promising to patients suffering from nightmares, insomnia and PTSD."

Mary Pat Higley, PharmD (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "It really did help with my nightmares. (And lowered my blood pressure haha). I used to has nightmares almost every night and I have only had 3 on the 7 months I've been on it. My boyfriend thinks this is the best medicine ever created because now we can sleep peacefully. Didn't really help me fall asleep but didn't keep me awake either. And when I slept I would sleep though the night with no nightmares. Just really weird dreams."

Lisakay145 July 26, 2016