User Reviews for Prazosin to treat Anxiety and Stress

Also known as: Minipress

Prazosin has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety and Stress. 63% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Prazosin Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Prazosin

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2015

“I've been dealing with a lot of stress lately and been only getting a couple of hours of sleep a night due to it. This pill helped me get to sleep and stay asleep, it all felt like I was back to normal, not taking anything, just finally being able to sleep, and sleep well. It didn't make me tired, more of just being able to sleep. I felt as if my problems and worries were for later and now was for relaxation and sleep. I've tried a few other things for sleep such as Ambien, but none provided the satisfaction of being able to just go to sleep and sleep well with only the best of dreams. Instead of having nightmares of random things infused with my trouble and worries I had amazing dreams of the things I loved.”

RockShot4 · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

“I just took my first dose of prazosin last night before bed to help anxiety and stress. I have non-combat PTSD from child abuse. My doctor said to take it at night. Reading these reviews it would seem this drug is for nightmares. I don’t have those. Just Panic attacks, depression and anxiety. I’m wondering if I should switch to a day dose. Does this drug manage your anxiety? Or is it specifically for nightmares?. Thanks.”

Anonymous December 26, 2008

“I use this for PTSD, anxiety, nightmares, etc. I have previously tried almost every other anti-depressant and anti-psychotics. A low dose of prazosin has done the trick. I sleep almost 8 hours uninterupted. I went from full blown panic attacks to moderate anxiety. I actually have a quality of life now. If your situation sounds like mine try it. It may give you your life back.”

BrkRchll August 1, 2008

“This medicine SPECIFICALLY helps with PTSD by eliminating nightmares. This is a MIRACLE DRUG for those suffering from PTSD related nightmares and seems to be effective in a large % of sufferers. I had suffered from horribly vivid, recurring, disturbing nightmares which had become so bad I got about 3 hrs. of sleep a night. They stopped after the FIRST DOSE! I found out about it on the web and told my doctor who now regularly prescribes it to patients suffering from PTSD related nightmares.”

JL March 21, 2021

“I've struggled with generalized anxiety and PTSD for over 20 years. I've been on a lot of medications. Most of them, if effective at all, loose efficacy pretty quickly as it seems my body always figures out how to ignore them. Others negatively impact my cognition, executive function, motor, etc and make me LESS functional. When a recent trauma brought back nightmares, my NP recommended this to help me sleep at night. It is now the only medication I take for anxiety. On MY request. Yes, starting it can be scary if your doctor doesn't start you at 1mg then increase it gradually. My NP did this, though, and I had no issues with starting it.”

Lauriemama May 23, 2021

“This medication has been sooo helpful in my ability to sleep and stay asleep, no nightmares, and waking up in a calm and peaceful state. I had no idea that this medication for HBP could have such a positive effect on my severe PTSD and anxiety. My only concern is that I believe that doctors should REQUIRE people to take this medication only at nighttime. I took 2 capsules during the day, and when I got up about 20 minutes later, I fainted right to the floor. I am not even sure how long I was down. It scared me very much. Be careful! That warning in the directions is VERY true.”

Joe joe · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2018

“I have PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks. I had nightmares 7 nights a week, they were so bad I didn't want to go to sleep anymore. My doctor gave me prazosin and for the first time the nightmares were gone. You have to take it every night because if you don't the nightmares will come back. I have been on every medication for my PTSD and as far as my horrible nightmares..prazosin is by far the best.”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

“I was given prazosin for PTSD and anxiety. Childhood trauma and 4 recent family deaths that traumatized me again. Took first last night, and stood up hour later and felt very faint, been up all night on and off and when I did sleep I had huge nightmare with my screaming again. This morning I feel very hung over with headache and still some shakiness - this is all cause I had to move out of State and new doctor family doctor stopped my lorazepam and making me suffer needlessly (everything else has massive side effects and all SSRI’s cause heart palps ). Good luck, this stuff is too scary.”

JTHESS76 July 14, 2017

“Prazosin is very helpful for anxiety and stress, especially for those with occupations that require vigilance. I started with 1 mg at bedtime for nightmares and insomnia, but started taking it during the daytime as well for stress and anxiety. Only when I first started did I have a few episodes of mild dizziness, but the dizziness is gone now. It also seems to help with BPH symptoms.”

Charger · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2019

“After a one time traumatic event I spiralled out of control into anxiety and depression. The medicine dampened my reaction to anxiety but didn't remove it. The worst part of anxiety untreated is that it damages parts of the brain that corresponds to your personality and joy.”

Litfit · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2018

“Vivid nightmares--I awaken soaked through my clothes even though the house is less than 68 degrees. My heart races and the dreams have shaken me to flight. Now on Prazosin, 2mg, I sleep through most nights. Sometimes I wake and have had a dream, but it only woke me; it didn't send me to panic. Losing a father to Vietnam and all the childhood issues of being with a widowed mother--trying to raise 5 children on her own has come to haunt me in my dreams. The Prazosin has given me my sleep back.”

Anonymous November 16, 2008

“My dad was prescribe this for PTSD nightmares. He has been on several different ones over the past 20 years and this one seemed to do a good job. This has also helped his benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). My only concern is that this is also for lowering blood pressure and his is already low.”

gargoylegiirl · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2017

“Is it possible to have a reverse reaction to this drug? I started 1mg per day and I’ve had INCREDIBLY vivid dreams, about 8 dreams per night. thankfullly none are nightmares but some are stressful like a dream about my boss yelling at me. I also can’t stand up for long about 3 hours into it, I get dizzy, I start hearing colors if that makes sense, and I lose touch with reality. It’s all relieved by sitting or lying down again. The last but not least side effect is heart palpitations which are exacerbated by even the least physical activity like standing up. I assumed this was just first dose syndrome and it would work properly once my body adjusted to it. The thing is, it’s been two weeks now and I’m starting to think these opposite effects aren’t gonna go away”

Anonymous February 2, 2020

“My new pysch prescribed this prazosin for hypervigilance. (I've been dealing with this since I was a child.) I was asked to pick up a blood pressure monitor and to keep track. My blood pressure is about 107 over 68 before my dose. It changed a bit over a three hour period, but the change was not significant. I took the pill with food. I did NOT experience any dizziness, nausea, or thumping heart beat. I slept ok. Woke up ~10 times, as usual, but went back to sleep quickly. I had dreams, but nothing scary or alarming. I woke up and my BP is still normal. So, I took my second dose. (I read it's best to take the first dose at night. Since my hypervigilance is during the day, I'll be taking the med in the morning.) I noticed a dull headache after taking the medication. I'm tired this morning (nothing new) and my vision is a bit off (this happens after I consume sugar, so it may not be related?) I'll rate the med based on side effects, day 1. Note: I am not a veteran.”

Chuy · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

“I was prescribed this for anxiety and it wiped my short term memory. Still haven't fully recovered from it yet. I would ask the same question about a half dozen times within a three hour span. Terrible headaches too! Little did I know that those headaches was about my brain being fried. But I am told that this doesn't happen to people.”

Brando33333 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 19, 2017

“Best thing that's ever happened to me. ....why aren't more people getting this pill?”

Brandi · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2019

“Best thing that ever happened to me....”

issa · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 19, 2018

“using this medication worked fairly good.. been on 4mg for 3 yrs.. starting to not have the same effect...”